Well, things are going badly in Britain.
It has been a while since the last update for a number of reasons - an industrial dispute at work which fortunately now appears to be resolved, sorting out a friend's wedding, etc. - but one of the reasons that you may be more interested to hear involves the final preparation of Look to the West Volume 3 for publication. It is currently projected to appear on Amazon around the end of this month (though this date may slip a bit) and I will let you know on here when it arrives. Complete with new maps by @Alex Richards and a number of other special features.
I imagine they've already been spotted, but I was rereading some bits of it earlier and thinking "that needs correcting, has Thande gotten up to this volume yet...."
I take this to mean that the Societists at some point try to abolish the family and raise all children by the state?

I'd guess that this leads to something like the Romanian Orphans IOTL, where lack of psychosocial stimulation creates a severely messed-up generation. Although the horror of stealing children from their parents is terrible enough, I'd guess that Thande has this in mind to show the terrors of Societism.
I think this has come up before, though possibly more as an aside than a real description.

I've been a lurker, and I was catching up on LttW about 1 month ago.
My congratulations, Mr. Thande.
You have created a truly bizarre and alien timeline from OTL's eyes. But yet it feels so natural, since that fateful day when Prince Frederick laughed when his father, King George II, tripped. Everything is as plausible as OTL, and so many weird ideas are possible with you.
Russo-Lithuanian Yapon, Mauré Empire, steampunk French Nazis who actually could invade Britain (!), even if it was their downfall, New Spain and the New Reconquista, the UPSA! (actually, it makes me kinda proud there's a Latin American nation powerful enough to stand up to the America equivalent, even if it is destined to fall to Societism) Societism! A united Indochina, the various rogue Dutch republics who war against Belgium, the Space-Filling Empire :), The Magyarabs, Danubia, India, the two Chinas, and the ominous hints of the world. Holy shit, this timeline has it all. It is just wonderfully quirky and so unique. It hooks me.
It is a truly marvelous and mind blowing to see how large this timeline has become, as a prime example of the butterfly effect. And to think that you have done this since about 10 years and still kept on. Sir, you have a hell lot of determination, and it is worthy of applause. I wish you the best of luck with the timeline, with publishing it, and with your life, and please, keep going.
Thank you so much for writing this timeline.

Last edited:

Redcoat

Banned
You have created a truly bizarre and alien timeline from OTL's eyes. But yet it feels so natural, since that fateful day when Prince Frederick laughed when his father, King George II, tripped. Everything is as plausible as OTL, and so many weird ideas are possible with you.
Russo-Lithuanian Yapon, Mauré Empire, steampunk French Nazis who actually could invade Britain (!), even if it was their downfall, New Spain and the New Reconquista, the UPSA! (actually, it makes me kinda proud there's a Latin American nation powerful enough to stand up to the America equivalent, even if it is destined to fall to Societism) Societism! A united Indochina, the various rogue Dutch republics who war against Belgium, the Space-Filling Empire :), The Magyarabs, Danubia, India, the two Chinas, and the ominous hints of the world. Holy shit, this timeline has it all. It is just wonderfully quirky and so unique. It hooks me.
It is a truly marvelous and mind blowing to see how large this timeline has become, as a prime example of the butterfly effect. And to think that you have done this since about 10 years and still kept on. Sir, you have a hell lot of determination, and it is worthy of applause. I wish you the best of luck with the timeline, with publishing it, and with your life, and please, keep going.
Hmmmmm for some reason I have read this spoilery comment, but it seems to me most of this stuff already happened from my perspective. This entire comment sums up the thoughts of this TL so far, and I'd add that how Thande talks about alt science is just so interesting. I love the chemistry and evolution updates, and going beyond that. The sheer attention to details is just breathtaking.

And let's not even mention how worldwide the TL is in its range, from the ENA to Persia to Antipodea to Brazil. Even fucking Travancore was added, which is AFAIK one of the only times on this board where it's mentioned in detail.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm for some reason I have read this spoilery comment, but it seems to me most of this stuff already happened from my perspective. This entire comment sums up the thoughts of this TL so far, and I'd add that how Thande talks about alt science is just so interesting. I love the chemistry and evolution updates, and going beyond that. The sheer attention to details is just breathtaking.

And let's not even mention how worldwide the TL is in its range, from the ENA to Persia to Antipodea to Brazil. Even fucking Travancore was added, which is AFAIK one of the only times on this board where it's mentioned in detail.
Oops. Sorry. I will edit the post so new readers can enjoy the timeline without spoiling.
Edit: Done that. I loved reading this timeline without spoilers since I'm usually bad at avoiding them, and other people should have the chance.

So the Third Glorious Revolution is brewing and I'm rooting for them just because I want them to get rid of all the purple.

Poland is done for, I just hope it doesn't actually become a guberniya. But with absense (as far as I recall) about its existence in the present day, might just end up being part of the Russian Confederation.

And of course, the Ottoman Empire, THE obvious natural allies of the ENA, have finally joined the war.

Go, Feng, go! Crush the backwards Qing!

Kingdom of Great Britain

Kingdom of the Britons though, right?

Thande

Donor
Thank you for your kind words, they are most appreciated.
Kingdom of the Britons though, right?
The earlier term is still in use informally, but yeah, I should be consistent - will edit.

Deleted member 94708

Why would anyone do this though?
We’ve seen that the Societists are fairly skilled at hiding in plain sight and serving as agents provocateurs; given the advanced state of disease theory here why is there any reason some fanatic couldn’t have infiltrated Britain’s nascent security service?

Redcoat

Banned
Well I'm about halfway through the TL (Damn you thande this is too good to skip even an update...) and I have a couple of questions.

Can the present day of TTL be considered dystopian?

What would people in the modern day of TTL think of OTL?

What percent through is this TL and will it end at present?

My theory is that some commander of the gendarmes thought it would be a good idea if the rabble-rousers died, but didn't want to lose the PR benefits of the wooden bullets.

Best of both worlds, you see?

Presumably the Third Glorious Revolution will be what sees Scottish independence - then again, I remember when it was a commonly held assumption amongst readers the Marlborough regime lasted to the present.

Presumably the Third Glorious Revolution will be what sees Scottish independence - then again, I remember when it was a commonly held assumption amongst readers the Marlborough regime lasted to the present.
Remind me, do we know for sure that Scotland's independent in the "present day"?

Remind me, do we know for sure that Scotland's independent in the "present day"?

IIRC, there is mention of separate English, Scottish and Irish editions of literature in the "present day" segments, since they have different censorship laws/different standards on Diversitarianism.