So it’s just Denmark and Norway? Or are Finland and Sweden included? What did Sweden so with Russia?
pYG6YIV.png

Finally, satisfied, he carefully sliced the pot away from the wheel with his knife and placed it within his kiln for firing.

The author imagining this section clearly doesn't know you need to let the pot air dry first.

But there's definite currents of chaos- Carolina is clearly lost, but how much further south can the Imperials go, and the war in Europe looks to be taking a rather different turn.

So...is this some sort of early nerve gas? Sounds like La Revolution is going to turn ugly fast.
Considering that the commission was to make non-lethal irritants to temporarily disable, I figure their "ranging long shot" that landed in permanently disabling to killing territory instead was in fact more along the lines of mustard gas. Of course nerve gas was an accidental byproduct of pesticide research OTL and there is no telling what might be the outcome of what I suppose--a trained chemist like the author with a century's lead on the ATL science could guess better than the rest of us.

Deleted member 94708

This is NOT going to be pretty; I'm guessing the substance in question is either mustard gas or phosgene.

In either case it will be used in a civil war against unprepared populations and in a situation where the industrial base is in too much disarray to mass-produce countermeasure.

This is going to look more like Iraq's use against the Kurds than German and Entente efforts in WWI.

Some components even used alumium, imagine the expense!
No Hall-Héroult, eh? Bit odd when chemistry is advanced over OTL and OTL the discovery was made independently twice.

The rocket pod turned to a vision of flame as every weapon ignited at once. The Dédalo shuddered as the mass of rockets shot from the now empty pod towards the storied hull of the Lionheart. The rockets spread out as they flew, random chance influencing their imperfect steering vanes. Some plunged into the waters of the Atlantic, others spun off and exploded randomly throughout the fleet amid friend and foe alike. But the distance had been short, and most of them hit the Lionheart dead-on.

What kind of rocket can you fire from an airship that will sink a Dreadnought?

Glad to see another update, I was starting to get withdrawals.

Wait, wait, wait. Is the Black Revolution starting with chemical warfare? That's nasty.

I found it funny how Greek statues are "obscure stuff", but Etruscan-derived art is mainstream. :D

a brand new Studebaker-FitzGeorge Blackhawk, its twin-stacked wings gleaming in the sunlight.

The age of the steerable was over: the age of the aerodrome had begun.

I'm really not well-versed in military technology, are these the biplanes?

Thande

Donor
No Hall-Héroult, eh? Bit odd when chemistry is advanced over OTL and OTL the discovery was made independently twice.
Some chemistry is (such as gas chemistry and dye synthesis), but electrochemistry research is running about thirty years behind OTL, as noted back in Volume III. Electrolysis (required for the Hall-Héroult process) in TTL didn't get going until the 1840s, whereas in OTL Michael Faraday was electrolysing absolutely everything he could get his hands on in the 1810s thanks to Volta's research.

What kind of rocket can you fire from an airship that will sink a Dreadnought?
Firstly this isn't a dreadnought; lionhearts are more analogous to HMS Majestic. Secondly they're not trying to sink it (directly), they're just trying to damage the superstructure to disable weapons and/or start fires that might spread to the magazine.

I'm really not well-versed in military technology, are these the biplanes?
Aerodromes are the TTL terminology for planes in general, these specific ones are indeed biplanes.

Some chemistry is (such as gas chemistry and dye synthesis), but electrochemistry research is running about thirty years behind OTL, as noted back in Volume III. Electrolysis (required for the Hall-Héroult process) in TTL didn't get going until the 1840s, whereas in OTL Michael Faraday was electrolysing absolutely everything he could get his hands on in the 1810s thanks to Volta's research.

This is the kind of detail that happens when a chemist writes AH.

thande, can you do a another cutler interlude about literature and art styles. also how different is all of religion like in theology? also, what ever happen to classical music and how different is it besides Mozart being a general in this timeline?

How are censuses conducted? *Analytical Engines, or at the very least *Difference Engines, exist ITTL, so that makes census-taking a lot easier than it would otherwise be. But I recall you referenced Optel destroying the mail system of most countries by including parcel delivery as a side business and distributing letters through Optel. How exactly does the government distribute census forms, then?

Fantastic update, and looks like things are going to go from just grim to downright vicious in short order with the introduction of chemical weapons from the labs of PAWC's boffins. Though it is somewhat gratifying to see the Societists as adept at scheming and playing the long game as some of the writings we've been given glimpses of have painted them as. Can't wait for the next update.
the Empire struck back

And that'd better have been deliberate, you cheeky bugger!