Thande

Donor
thande, can you do a another cutler interlude about literature and art styles. also how different is all of religion like in theology? also, what ever happen to classical music and how different is it besides Mozart being a general in this timeline?
I will be going back to those cultural interludes in Volume VI when the Pandoric War is done; however, I can mention some of the things you mention in passing in these war vignettes of course.

How are censuses conducted? *Analytical Engines, or at the very least *Difference Engines, exist ITTL, so that makes census-taking a lot easier than it would otherwise be. But I recall you referenced Optel destroying the mail system of most countries by including parcel delivery as a side business and distributing letters through Optel. How exactly does the government distribute census forms, then?
That's an interesting question. I'll have to think about that one.

In OTL the United States really led the way for statistical analysis in how it did its census - there are charts from the 1880s which look like something that was produced yesterday by a data visualisation guru. I wonder if the same would be true of the UPSA in TTL (and quite possibly the ENA as well still).

Fantastic update, and looks like things are going to go from just grim to downright vicious in short order with the introduction of chemical weapons from the labs of PAWC's boffins. Though it is somewhat gratifying to see the Societists as adept at scheming and playing the long game as some of the writings we've been given glimpses of have painted them as. Can't wait for the next update.

And that'd better have been deliberate, you cheeky bugger!

So will planes be called drones colloquially?

Yes, dromes. After going through a period of being called 'dromes with an apostrophe, as was done with 'planes in OTL (and the 'phone and the 'bus).

So, I'm rereading the TL, and I come across this line:
"TENDRING: The President has been kidnapped by Nindzhyas. Are you a Bad enough Duke to rescue the President?"
You created a character, gave him an extensive backstory, and changed the title of the head of the British government specifically to make this joke. And by God was it worth it.

So, I'm rereading the TL, and I come across this line:
"TENDRING: The President has been kidnapped by Nindzhyas. Are you a Bad enough Duke to rescue the President?"
You created a character, gave him an extensive backstory, and changed the title of the head of the British government specifically to make this joke. And by God was it worth it.

Don't forget when Russian-sponsored Nindzhyas fought Ottoman-sponsored Algerian pirates up in the Caucasus mountains... :D

....and the epically famous painting titled.... well, you remember. ;)

Fantastic update, and looks like things are going to go from just grim to downright vicious in short order with the introduction of chemical weapons from the labs of PAWC's boffins. Though it is somewhat gratifying to see the Societists as adept at scheming and playing the long game as some of the writings we've been given glimpses of have painted them as. Can't wait for the next update.

And that'd better have been deliberate, you cheeky bugger!
I'm still withholding my judgment on adeptness. This is, after all, simply another one of those "writings we've been given".

In another world I can imagine Monterroso being seen as a Progressive that stopped the UPSA's descent into wide-scale corruption and cronyism. Like a Spanish Teddy Roosevelt. I'm sure that *Alternate Historians spend their time agonizing over events like the Pandoric War - if it hadn't have happened, could Monterroso have guided a reformed UPSA into the 20th century? Come to think of it, that would make for a good update. Remember the update regarding Prussia, and the Alternate Historian who agonized over the death of the House of Hohenzollern?

So. The Societists will be using gas warfare to start the revolution. If I ever had any questions about them not being as bad as they're painted, I've lost them(or at least they've decreased in intensity).

So. The Societists will be using gas warfare to start the revolution. If I ever had any questions about them not being as bad as they're painted, I've lost them(or at least they've decreased in intensity).

Bear in mind that this is a tertiary source from an area of the world that is hostile to societism. That said, it is a disquieting development.

teg

They might still end up being better in the long run. Who knows? (Thande knows.)

They might still end up being better in the long run. Who knows? (Thande knows.)
I doubt it. They're based off an insane cult that ignores half of what its founder says for their own ends. Even without the obvious analog to communism that's still pretty bad. What I wanna know is what life is like in the Combine. Is capitalism still a thing? How does the government work? How far along is the implementation of NewSpeak(don't know the name of their "final language", but that's what it is).

I doubt it. They're based off an insane cult that ignores half of what its founder says for their own ends. Even without the obvious analog to communism that's still pretty bad. What I wanna know is what life is like in the Combine. Is capitalism still a thing? How does the government work? How far along is the implementation of NewSpeak(don't know the name of their "final language", but that's what it is).

Well, it's a big MIGHT, I should add. :D

I think it was mentioned that the Combine is capitalist. The government is supposed to be something like a technocracy if I understand it correctly. The name of the language is Nova Latina.

I believe Thande said that Sanchez was uncomfortable discussing economics, in spite of(or perhaps because of?) the fact that he worked at a bank. Based on this it would be safe to say that they are at least nominally capitalist.