Should the President be able to be re-elected in consecutive terms?

• Yes

Votes: 24 96.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Update: Hello all you readers out there. Just wanted a quick post to state the TL's direction for the future. Tomorrow i will update the thread again with the French FINALLY invading Mexico after half of the thread has been building up towards it. The end of the Revolution and the Mexican Civil War will happen by the end of the weekend. The next decade ITTL will be focused on domestic and regional events until 1848 when the global situation starts to change entirely. I'd also like to take the time to announce the start of Texasball, a Polandball comic strip by myself starring the Texasball and his adventures into independence. Quality of strips will not be the best and i will hopefully upgrade the program at a later point. Finally i'd like to take the time to ask some viewers if anyone would be willing to contribute making wikiboxes for the thread posts. I've no idea on how to make them and would like to use them for elections, as the Texas presidential elections are only a year away ITTL, if no one contributes that's fine but wikiboxes would make the posts a bit higher in quality, PM my account if you are interested. I'm somewhat okay on maps, though if anyone has had any experience on how to create professional maps for TL's (as borders will be far different by 1900), i would very much like any advice so i can make concrete maps showing the changes of the TL. Thanks once again for reading and as always input or constructive criticism is welcome. Long live the Republic!

upload_2016-9-8_20-9-24.png

I quoted (and sniped) your message with the intent to respond to some of it, but I do want to open with the fact I am amazed at the speed with which you can get a good update out, and that I appreciate the ammount of time you are putting into this. I've had a timeline up for almost a year and in that space I've posted four mostly OTL like updates, while in the space of less than a month you have thirteen with a good bit of butterflies in it already, so kudos to you, I know this isn't easy.

Anywho, I'm looking forward to the future updates and the new comic. I'm just sorry I'm not much use on the wikiboxes or the maps. So I'll just echo Unkown down here...

PM either B_Munro or Reagent for map help; they are very good mapmakers...
...but add Upvoteanthology to the list. She is good with maps, so I have no doubt she could give you some pointers.

Finally i'd like to take the time to ask some viewers if anyone would be willing to contribute making wikiboxes for the thread posts. I've no idea on how to make them and would like to use them for elections, as the Texas presidential elections are only a year away ITTL, if no one contributes that's fine but wikiboxes would make the posts a bit higher in quality, PM my account if you are interested.
I'm not good at a lot but if you want them i can do war wikiboxe's. Let me know

PM either B_Munro or Reagent for map help; they are very good mapmakers...

I quoted (and sniped) your message with the intent to respond to some of it, but I do want to open with the fact I am amazed at the speed with which you can get a good update out, and that I appreciate the ammount of time you are putting into this. I've had a timeline up for almost a year and in that space I've posted four mostly OTL like updates, while in the space of less than a month you have thirteen with a good bit of butterflies in it already, so kudos to you, I know this isn't easy.

Anywho, I'm looking forward to the future updates and the new comic. I'm just sorry I'm not much use on the wikiboxes or the maps. So I'll just echo Unkown down here...

...but add Upvoteanthology to the list. She is good with maps, so I have no doubt she could give you some pointers.

Unknown: Thank you for the advice. I'll try to contact them and ask for advice on future maps.

Pieman: Thank you for the kind praise, it's really nothing though as some other members such as Althistorybuff and Konrad Satorious post multiple articles daily on their threads. I wish i could spend more time on it but I'm a quality over quantity type of guy and it usually takes me an hour to write a post. I will try to post comic strips as much as i can but it will be quite irregular as i only plan to post them in accordance with certain major events in the story. Thanks for the recommendation for upvoteanthology and I'll be sure to contact her soon.

Update will come by the end of the day and it will more or less wrap up the war. Saturday is the official end and aftermath, then we get back to Texas and the U.S. Thanks again for reading and stick around for more.

Chapter 14 The Veracruz Invasion
Chapter 14 The Veracruz Invasion

"What a splendid little war."- King Louis Phillipe I 1837
"And we would've gotten away with the war if it weren't for those meddling French and the rebels too."- General Vicente Filisola 1840
"Looks like i don't need to prepare for a Mexican invasion any time soon."- Brigadier General William Barrett Travis 1837

With the entire nation collapsing from civil conflict it can be easy to understand why no one in Mexico expected the French of all nations to invade their country. The one question that was on everyone's mind in the region was "Why?" You see Louis was not a man who would support foreign revolutions simply out of the kindness of his heart, rather he foresaw this as an opportunity to found a Second French Empire. This time period was the start of what many historians would call, "The Second Imperial Age", new colonies were being founded in Africa and Asia every year and the whole of Europe was expected to get some action this time around. In 1837 Latin America was a land of a British trade hegemony with London churning out tons of industrial goods to the people of the region for a good profit. America was also expanding ever westward with the dream of Manifest Destiny beginning to form in the eyes of Uncle Sam, it was only a matter of time before the United States turned South. Napoleon himself had wanted to establish a grand empire in the Americas but those dreams fell after the Seven Years War and the Haitian Revolution. With Mexico, half of North America, falling apart every day and new nations appearing it was the perfect chance for France to expand it's influence here and establish client states to meet its economic and political needs. Thus, after dropping off the required 6000 troops at Galveston to begin their service within the Lone Star Republic, the other 25000 made their way down the Gulf to begin what would be called the Veracruz Invasion, as Veracruz would be their port of entry into Mexico. On February 1st, 20000 men of the French Army landed at Veracruz under the leadership of Admiral Charles Baudin, there they encountered Rueda's force of 2000 who were still Recuperating from the failed Merida campaign. The Battle of Veracruz commenced and within an hour it was a clear French victory as the Baudin's fleet surrounded the port laying heavy support fire from the naval cannons, while the French troops who had high morale and were veterans from the Algiers expedition were able to overcome surround and annihilate the war-weary Mexican force. The end of the battle had Rueda's force suffer 458 dead with 231 wounded and the rest taken prisoner, the french army suffered only 54 dead with 122 wounded. After the city capitulated the French Army began a march towards Mexico City on February 4th, their goal was to seize the capitol so that they would be able to end the war decisively and have leverage to decide Mexico's fate.

290px-%C3%89pisode_de_l%27exp%C3%A9dition_du_Mexique_en_1838.jpg
upload_2016-9-9_19-39-27.png

Bombardment of Veracruz. March onto Mexico City

When word reached Mexico City of the French intervention, both sides panicked as neither camp could comprehend what was France's casus belli for starting a war against them, many believed that this was the beginning of the establishment of a possible French colony over the Mexican territory. Pressure caused both the Centralists and the Federalists to engage in one last battle even though both sides weren't ready, their reasoning being that by controlling the capitol when the french came they would have legitimacy in negotiations and be able to persuade foreign powers to join their side in defense against France. Thus the Second Battle of Mexico City commenced on February 8th as the two armies clashed in the rural outskirts of the city limits. . The battle was a rather chaotic affair as both armies had low supplies and weak morale, the generals had to scrap months of planning and launch a hastily assembled force with poor coordination due to the French being only days away. Mass waves of men were launched at the enemy with artillery laying a constant barrage upon the field with their remaining ammunition, while the cavalry advanced about in a confused manner as close quarters fighting made swift charges impossible. The fighting would be drawn out from beginning to the end of the day as men on both sides fought under the assumption that it was a battle to protect their country against traitors and foreigners. The only reason that the battle was not as bloody as the Battle of Guanajuanto was due to the fact that most of the soldiers were tired of fighting in suicidal charges at this point and hundreds of men deserted from the battlefield, firsthand accounts have it that some deserting Federalists and Centralists would journey side by side as they would make their way back to their home towns. The battle ended in a Centralist victory under Filisola as their army had more manpower was the only one to have a capacity to continue fighting with extra ammunition only a few miles away. The Centralists suffered 303 killed with 496 wounded and 500 desertions, the Federalists had 365 killed with 272 wounded and the rest of the army either deserting or being captured. Corro had finally won his victory over the Federalists and was ready to meet the French Army once they arrived at the capitol. To his shock when the 20000 strong army arrived they proclaimed that they would capture the capitol for the Federalist cause and demanded an unconditional surrender. The reasoning for this was that under a Federalist government Mexico would be highly de-centralized and would not be able to conquer the independent Republics, unlike a resurgent Centralist Mexico. Corro stupidly replied that he would defend the city to the death and never surrender to a foreign power. This was the final straw for the people of Mexico City as they were tired of constant warfare and did not want their homes to be destroyed, riots erupted within the streets hours after the announcement. Fearful for their positions, Generals Bustamente and Filisola launched a coup against President Corro to make peace with the French Army and secure amnesty from a federal regime. The men managed to get most of the support of the garrison as well as the federal prisoners by freeing them, and stormed the presidential palace to arrest Corro. General Jose Urrea was one of the few men who still pledged loyalty to Corro and led a small group of patriots to protect the palace. After overwhelming the palace gaurd and storming their way inside, the coup plotters discovered Corro dead in his office after committing suicide with a pistol. The city surrendered unconditionally to the French on February 15th and the French army occupied the capitol while the remaining forces were sent across the countryside to secure Farias's claim and defeat any remaining Centralist resistance. After a bloody year of fighting the Mexican Civil War was over.

250px-Mexico_nebel.jpg

French occupation of Mexico City

Unknown to both sides fighting to claim Mexico, the French had actually sent envoys to both the Republic of the Rio Grande and the Republic of the Yucatan in order to gain alliances in support of their independence. Before leaving France, Baudin had been given specific instructions by the King that should any other independence movements rise up within Mexico then he would divert resources to support them immediately. To Baudin's surprise he had two new nations which he could use to further accomplish his objectives. The main French fleet was diverted to Merida after the Battle of Veracruz where they would enter into talks with the Yucatan government to establish troops within the nation and support the Yucatan's conquests and independence from Mexico. Meanwhile, the remaining French forces of 5000 men were sent to Tampico, Tamaulipas, to secure the Republic of the Rio Grande's fragile hold upon the region. Around the time of the French landing in Galveston, they had already sent an envoy to the Rio Grande informing them of their intentions to support the Rio Grande's claims to areas west of the Rio Grande. Thus, General Antonio Canales would order his upstart army to march into Chihuahua and Durango so they could press their claims at a future peace conference. Due to most Federal forces being sent down south the Rio Grande army was able to capture both state's capitols by the time the French arrived. With the war wrapping up and all rebel sides securing their claims, a conference would be called within the small town of Guadalupe Hidalgo where the Treaty of Guadulpe Hidalgo would be signed on April 4th, signaling the end of an era and the beginning of a new order within the Southwest.

Last edited:
What is the United States positions regarding the Republics of Rio Grande and Yucatan? Will Americans be travelling southwards to expand personal empires?

Well we already know the United States isn't happy about this, and once word gets back to Europe I vary much doubt Britain is going to be thrilled either. Maybe, just maybe, France's antics will result in some rapprochement between the mother country and her former colonies. Of course that may cause US-Texas relations to suffer temporarily, but that could be worth it if the French can be kicked out of North America.

Anywho, good update.

Hopefully Texas and Rio Grande can settle their border disputes since a portion of Rio Grande`s territory is in the strip between the Nueces and the Rio Grande.

What is the United States positions regarding the Republics of Rio Grande and Yucatan? Will Americans be travelling southwards to expand personal empires?

Well we already know the United States isn't happy about this, and once word gets back to Europe I vary much doubt Britain is going to be thrilled either. Maybe, just maybe, France's antics will result in some rapprochement between the mother country and her former colonies. Of course that may cause US-Texas relations to suffer temporarily, but that could be worth it if the French can be kicked out of North America.

Anywho, good update.

I am guessing in addition to independence the Three Amigos will be getting max size too.

Hopefully Texas and Rio Grande can settle their border disputes since a portion of Rio Grande`s territory is in the strip between the Nueces and the Rio Grande.

Traveller: The United States is mostly indifferent towards the Rio Grande and Yucatan as they do not border the U.S and are full of Mexicans or Natives, making it highly unattractive to Annex. Many Americans will move west or to Texas in this timeline that would've stayed east OTL.

Pieman: The U.S and Britain are both pissed at what France did but there will be reasons why it won't result in direct conflict or an Anglo alliance, will be expanded upon in later chapters.

Herr Frage: :p

HonestAbe: It was explained in Chapter 13 that after Texas won in a battle against the Rio Grande in Laredo, that the Rio Grande signed a treaty abandoning all their claims east of the Rio Grande to Texas. They're still pissed about it but there is nothing that they can do.

Chapter 15 The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo
Chapter 15 The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo

"This is a direct violation against the Monroe Doctrine and a Deceleration of War against the United States."- Speaker of the House James K. Polk 1837
"Why did i send Lamar in the first place? Only he is crazy enough to grab California."- President Sam Houston 1837
"We won the war, but at what cost?"- Presidente Valentin Gomez Farias 1837

On April 4th, representatives of five nations, three of which have existed for less than a year, met at the small village of Guadalupe Hidalgo, there began a process of which some would call the "Partition of Mexico". It was obvious to everyone that attended that the Federal regime in Mexico had little to no say in what was about to take place. While they did technically win the war it was only through the French intervention that they managed to capture the capitol at all, in addition even if Farias wanted to continue war against the French, Mexico had little to no available manpower or resources to fight them head on in battle, and unlike the War of independence, the Mexican people were to tired to continue fighting and wanted desperately a return to peace. If Farias expected for the terms to be light then he would've been dead wrong, Baudin used this conference as an opportunity for France to claim permanent dominance over the region by enforcing trade agreements in favor of France, setting up French forts and ports within the region, and supporting ALL claims to Mexico by the rebel nations. The terms of the treaty are as follows:
1. The Federation of Mexico shall recognize the independence of the Republic of Texas, Republic of the Yucatan, and the Republic of the Rio Grande.
2. The following territories shall be ceded to the independent Republics:The Republic of Texas shall gain the entirety of Texas, New Mexico east of the Rio Grande river, Alto and Baja California; The Republic of Yucatan shall gain the states of Yucatan, Tabasco, and Chiapas; The Republic of the Rio Grande shall gain the states of Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon, Chihuahua, Durango, and Ne Mexico west of the Rio Grande River. Mexico will give up all claims to these former territories.
3. Mexico shall pay a total of $3,250,000 to the victorious parties; $3,000,000 shall be divided among the Independent Republics while France receives $250,000. If payments are not met by 1856 then a 6.5% interest rate shall be added each year.
4. Mexico shall enter into a Free-trade agreement with the Kingdom of France, this shall remain valid for the duration of the treaty and cannot be revoked.
5. Mexico will allow free access to any and all French troops or ships that desire movement through its territory. Mercantile ships shall be welcome at Mexican ports without payment.
6. Mexico shall pay for all destroyed property in its campaigns within the seceded territories
7. All prisoners of war on both sides shall be released by October 16th.
8. The Independent Republics shall have free fishing rights throughout all oceanic territory that Mexico claims.
9. An economic union called the "Southwest Trade Union" shall be established within the former territory of the Centralist Republic where trade goods will be exchanged without tariffs between the participating nations
10. This treaty shall be ratified within 6 months of its signing.​
It was a comprehensive treaty that effectively split Mexico apart and made it subservient to France and its former territories. While it was celebrated within the Republics as a total victory for their part within the wars it brought upon a three decade national trauma within Mexico called "The Generation of '36". Civil conflict would reign within Mexico for the next decade while the Farias regime would dedicate all its resources to improving the domestic situation within the country as well as implementing vast liberal reforms and de-centralizatoin. Eventually a new wave of revanchism and Mexican cultural revivalism would hit the nation in the 1850's and a new Mexian unification movement lead by Benito Juarez would lead the country to the Mexican War.

mapa_de_mexico_1841-png.287200

New Borders according to the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo

Among the other nations of the world the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo was met with much divisiveness. Within Latin America many nations were filled with both fear and joy, fear that what happened to Mexico would later come to them by European powers, and joy that as strong regional rival had been thoroughly eliminated. Much of Europe was either indifferent or worried for the rise in French power. The two nations that were most livid were the Untied States and the United Kingdom. The United States was furious that France had directly violated the Monroe Doctrine and had given Texas what they had considered to be part of America's territory, as many American settlers had made their way to California within the past decade. Great Britain was apalled at the French's attempts on what was considered their corner of the world and feared the emergence of a new Napoleon. Yet many factors would prevent these nations from going to war or joining against each other against France; for one while France had violated Mexican sovereignty it had done so to protect independent nations and had taken no personal land from Mexico. To try and dispute France's actions would be hypocritical of Britain's actions to other nations in Asia and to the United States for doing the exact same thing in its Revolutionary War. While France had defied America, there was little America could do about it as they had a poorly funded and small army back then and had no direct way to fight France at the time, in addition the oncoming Recession of 1837 would prevent any action from happening due to America's poor economy. The United States would be reluctant to intervene in Texas's claims on California in the future as due to its Constitution, slavery was now legal throughout all of California, meaning that any U.S expansion into the region would be forced to expand slavery as well. Finally the British people as a whole were apathetic to France's actions as they saw it as some minor war fought in a backward part of the region. If France had done the same thing in India or the Middle East then it would be a cause for concern, but because it took place in Mexico, where the main government was bound to lose anyways, the British people did not want to start another war and end the twenty years of peace. So reluctantly both nations backed off from France's gains. Although they would be keeping a closer eye on France and Latin America in the future.

upload_2016-9-10_13-25-7.jpeg

The American dream of Manifest Destiny was on hold. For Now.

Within the new Republics each focused on creating its own new destiny in world affairs. France would sign new treaties with both the Yucatan and Rio Grande similar to its own agreement with Texas(with the exception of colonists), 5000 troops would be stationed within each nation and a new sphere of French power was established within the Americas. Both nations then diverted attentions to their internal affairs. The Yucatan focused on consolidating their gains as well as trying to improve relations between the Creole and Mayan citizens of the nation, a task which would prove difficult for the next decade. The Rio Grande took this time to establish its identity and control over its new states. Unfortunately, the young republic was formed out of the minds of fortunate filibusters and had little love among the populace who desired a return to Mexico, this would create much conflict within the nation that would lead to the Mexican War. What came as a shock to most nations in Latin America, as well as the U.S, was Texas's annexation of California. While it was originally true that Texas only desired to expand to the Rio Grande, the actions of vice president Mirabeau B. Lamar would change the limits of the Lone Star Republic. Lamar was sent to Mexico along with Secretary of State Austin in order to represent the Texas government at the negotiations, Lamar was also a fervent nationalist of the new country and had a dream of Texas being a powerful nation that resided from coast to coast. Lamar was able to convince Charles Baudin of the benefits of Texas having California by preventing America form expanding southward as well as giving Texas (and in extent France) more land and strong ports on the Pacific Ocean. Houston for one was not happy about this new agreement as he believed that it was beyond the nations capabilities for governance and that the Californian people might resent their new masters. Nevertheless the Texas Senate unanimously ratified the treaty and Houston, albeit reluctantly, signed the treaty to prevent a loss of support for him in the next election. The only benefits that Houston saw though was that more land on the Pacific would be a fruitful offer to encourage U.S annexation, as fate would have not only would California become a factor in the United States rejecting Texas annexation, but it would also prove to become a boom for Texas later in the century. For now Texas expanded its lands and focused on encouraging new settlement and creating a stable economy, its journey had begun.

upload_2016-9-10_13-28-57.png

Lone Star Flag of the California Commonwealth of the Republic of Texas

A/N: All credit for map belongs to member "Cool-eh"

Last edited:
Yeah, you are going to have a hard time holding the California regions from Texas. The US is going to come a-calling one way or the other, especially considering that population density and technology and idustry completely is in favor of the US its not funny.

Mexian unification movement lead by Benito Juarez would lead the country to the Mexican War.

Unfortunately, the young republic was formed out of the minds of fortunate filibusters and had little love among the populace who desired a return to Mexico, this would create much conflict within the nation that would lead to the Mexican War.
Well this Mexican War doesn't sound like it is going to be good. Fun to read, but not good. Oh well, it will give Texas a chance to snag Rio Grande's panhandle which will clean up the borders in that neck of the woods (They'll probably realize soon they want that piece of land too given their land border with California isn't in the greatest of places at the moment). By the way, nice spin giving Texas the south west.

there was little America could do about it as they had a poorly funded and small army back then and had no direct way to fight France at the time, in addition the oncoming Recession of 1837 would prevent any action from happening due to America's poor economy.
A good a reason not to intervene as any, but I'm guessing after the US may start to become a bit more militant in the next few decades to counter the French and make sure this doesn't happen again.

Yeah, you are going to have a hard time holding the California regions from Texas. The US is going to come a-calling one way or the other, especially considering that population density and technology and idustry completely is in favor of the US its not funny.
Unless of course we focus on acquiring our long denied birthright...
Canada-map-provinces-small.png

Alright, Canada isn't our birthright. However with the south west out of play for the US in the short term (In their eyes, long term Chirs has hinted at what is coming) I could see a stronger push than OTL to gain the whole of the Oregon territory.

Well this Mexican War doesn't sound like it is going to be good. Fun to read, but not good. Oh well, it will give Texas a chance to snag Rio Grande's panhandle which will clean up the borders in that neck of the woods (They'll probably realize soon they want that piece of land too given their land border with California isn't in the greatest of places at the moment). By the way, nice spin giving Texas the south west.

A good a reason not to intervene as any, but I'm guessing after the US may start to become a bit more militant in the next few decades to counter the French and make sure this doesn't happen again.

Unless of course we focus on acquiring our long denied birthright...
Canada-map-provinces-small.png

Alright, Canada isn't our birthright. However with the south west out of play for the US in the short term (In their eyes, long term Chirs has hinted at what is coming) I could see a stronger push than OTL to gain the whole of the Oregon territory.

Darth_Kiryan: I realize that Texas holding California sounds improbable but I'll expand on my second next chapter how Texas deals with California. There are several reasons why U.S won't encroach upon Cali: 1. France is Texas's patron and war with Texas is war with France, something U.S is not ready for at the time. 2. U.S has not entered industrialization until the 1850's, it does not even have a very large presence in the west so its difficult to make itself a threat. 3. The two biggest opposition to Californian expansion; Whigs and Oregon.

Pieman: I have several different scenarios for how this TL will turn out but the Mexican War is something that will happen no matter what, no spoilers but it will be quite an interesting conflict. Everything's bigger in Texas, so why not the borders? You are correct in that with the Southwest gone U.S will be alot more greedy towards Oregon and the rest of Canada, France's actions will effectively change US foreign policy for the rest of the century and beyond.

Tomorrow I'm going to be posting a new post on Texan immigration. Here is a sneak peek on the next chapters:

Chapter 16 Texas Immigration: 1836-1848. Chapter 17 Texas 1837. Chapter 18 The Van Buren administration. Chapter 19 Central American chronicles.

Chapter 16 Texas Immigration 1836-1846
Chapter 16 Texan Immigration 1836-1846

"Gone To Texas (GTT)"- a common sign posted outside of American homes alerting their neighbors of the families immigration to Texas
"This, This here is our promised land!"- Brigham Young 1840
"Alright. I'll move to Texas with you Carl."- Princess Sophie of Lowenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg to her husband Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels 1845
"What a nice little country." Alois Hitler 1855
"Stephen... he must lead my people to Texas."- last words of Moses Austin 1821

One principle that the United States likes to brag about in its American exceptionalism is its large diversity and welcome immigration, of how anyone can achieve greatness in the American dream, and how America finds its strength through diversity. While these claims can be said to be true one way or another they pale in comparison to the achievements of the Republic of Texas. Over the years Texas has truly become a truly multicultural country, at the current time the demographics represent an equal proportion among various ethnicity with Texans, Tejanos, and German Texans forming the three largest ethnic groups. Afro-Texans and Asian Texans are also becoming an increasing prominent group within Texas as Texas's technology and energy sectors have grown exponentially within recent decades. To be a Texan is more than just a nationality; it is an culture, a melting pot of several unique cultures with a southwestern spin that has developed into an identity of freedom and simplicity that strives towards prosperity where any man or women can choose their own lifestyle and live in liberty among the frontier. All of these developments can be laid back to the countries immigration policy during its only years that helped to shape the newborn Texan culture.

In the early years Texas was had a very low density in terms of population. In 1836 there were only an estimated 50000 Texans within the Rio Grande borders, however with mass immigration (of 260k from 36-46) as well as the incorporation of California, Texas would climb to a population of 320,000 by 1848. The region was never a popular destination for Spanish colonists and it wasn't until Moses Austin received his empressario grant that immigrants arrived in mass. In order to populate Texas and make the nation strong, the central government to various steps to relax immigration control to the new country. Naturally as the revolution had been built by Americans it would be Americans who would become the largest source of a new population. In general there were three groups of Americans who would journey west to find a new home within the lone star republic; Dixies, Yankee farmers, and Mormons. The largest portion of the three were the Southern farmers who found Texas to be a likeable country to resettle due to the legalization of slavery throughout the country as well as the climate being well suited for cotton and subsistence farming.This group of people would mostly settle east of the Nueces river and would come to influence the young state by creating its southern culture that would acculturate with western customs, indeed by 1846 over 75,000 immigrants from the southern region of the United States would come to Texas in search of new land and adventure, creating the modern Southwest culture that Texas is famous for. Unfortunately many slaves would be brought with these settlers, bringing the slave population of Texas to over 40,000 in 1846. Many Yankees would also come to Texas though they were few in number compared to the Dixies and would mostly settle within Northern California. Of all of the immigrant groups the most surprising was the wave of Americans who were the pioneers and founders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, aka the Mormon Church. While today the Mormons are universally known as a kind and peaceful Christian denomination, back then they were intensely persecuted in the United States for their radical ideas of the bible and practice of polygamy. Founded by Joseph Smith in 1830, the Mormon Church was based around the teachings of Joseph's book, The Book of Mormon, this version of the bible taught that America was God's new Zion and that God had anointed Joseph himself as his prophet within the promised land. With many Americans believing the church to be a cult, there was mass persecution and the church was driven out of Missouri in 1839 in a series of riots where Smith died. Before he died Joseph reportedly received a "vision" in which God had told him to move his people west where the lone star of Bethlehem would shine. When Brigham Young came to power of the church in Smith's death, he took this as a sign for the Mormon's to move west where they would find a true promise land. Over the next decade Young received a grant from the Texan government to form a new settlement within the California Commonwealth where he would lead over 60,000 Mormons west. While many within the Texan government weren't exactly big fans of Mormon beliefs (especially polygamy), the Texan congress also saw the chance to bring thousands of settlers into the new republic, and due to the low decentralization of Texas, the Mormons would be tolerated for now so long as they didn't cause rebellion. In the 1850's this group of Mormon immigrants would come to found the Deseret Commonwealth and would soon cement the Latter Day-Saints position as one of the three religious authorities in Texas( along with the Southern Baptist and Catholic Church), and a strong established church within North America.

upload_2016-9-12_20-34-10.jpeg
220px-Salt_Lake_Temple%2C_Utah_-_Sept_2004-2.jpg

Map of Texan migration from Southern US. Salt Lake Temple

In the aftermath of the signing of the Treaty of Paris, France surprisingly had very little trouble finding settlers to fulfill the quota of the treaty. During this time massive economic inequality was spreading through France and the French people had found liberal reforms being curtailed once more. Tired of living in a state with little advancement and reminiscing of the glory of the Napoleonic days, many French peasants and noblemen alike jumped on the offer to start a new colony in Texas. Indeed by 1846, French immigrant numbers exceeded expectations with over 25,000 French men and women moving to the lone star republic. Many people were attracted by the large stretches of land as well as vast political and social freedoms that Texas offered that cannot be found within Europe. Due to Texas's proximity to the Cajun population of Louisianan, many French settlers chose to make their homes within East Texas, extending the Cajun culture as well as adding the culture of metropolitan France to create the modern French Texan identity. Today Nacogdoches, Texas is considered to be one of the three French centers of North America(along with Quebec City and New Orleans), and is famous for being the wine capitol of the west (a title that is heavily disputed by Napa Valley, California).

220px-Paris_Texas_Eiffel.jpg

The "Eiffel Tower" in Paris, Texas

One group of Immigrants who can absolutely not be forgotten is the German Texans. In the 1830's and 1840's, the German region was entering a turmulous time with massive industrialization, political strife, and massive calls for unification that would lead to the 1846 Revolutions in Europe. Within Germany a group of noblemen emerged that created a society that sought to encourage German immigration to Texas where they would potentially find their fortune within the new nation. This group, the Society for the Protection of German Immigrants in Texas, better known by its German name Adelsverein, sought to create a new Germany within Texas, one free from the politics between Prussia and Austria where German culture could thrive and dominate the new land. Under the leadership of Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels, who would later be remembered as one of the founding fathers of Texas, the Adelsverein achieved great success with 80,000 Germans immigrating to Texas with the promise of plentiful land and the opportunity to embrace and express their cultural heritage in peace. The German Texans would settle mostly within the areas of West Texas and would come to form major communities within the cities of Galveston, San Antonio, Houston, and Austin. Two new towns Fredricksburg and New Braunfels, would come to form the two basis of German culture within Texas as they would receive the largest number of immigrants, New Braunfels was named in honor of Prince Carl and he was able to move to Texas in 1846 and create Sophie's castle, who he named after his wife. Today German culture forms a major role in the Texan identity with the creation of the Texan-German dialect, German membership of the Republican party, various cultural celebrations such as Oktoberfest, as well as many of Texas's future political leaders and key scientific and industrial personnel being Germans.

200px-Carl_zu_solms.jpg
220px-Logo-Mainzer-Adelsverein-1842.jpg

Princle Carl, Solm-Braunfels. Logo of Adelsverien

The last, but not least, of the major Immigrant groups is the Mexican immigrants. In the aftermath of the Mexican Civil War, the country was laid to waste economically and experienced many years of political and social disorder. While Texas was the first to secede, many Mexicans looked past this and sought to create a new life for them in in this new anglo-dominated country. Over 30,000 Mexicans would immigrate over the next ten years with a majority coming from Central Mexico as well as a good number from the Rio Grande (a group that would expand in later years). Settling together with the native Hispanic population, this group of Mexican Texans would come to form the Tejano subgroup of Texas which contributes to Texas's unique position as both an Anglo and Latin American nation. Most would settle west of the Nueces around the Rio Grande or in San Antonio in order to live with their cultural brethren and avoid conflict with the white majority. A small number of 5,000 Mexicans would go on to either move to Santa Fe or in Southern California within the new California Commonwealth. While racial divisions would be large at first, as the decades went on the Tejanos would become an essential part of the Texas population and under the leadership of Juan Seguin, would become an equal cultural and political force to the German and Southern populations. In some aspects its as if Texas had never left Mexico at all.

250px-San_Antonio_Skyline.jpg

San Antonio, Texas's 3rd largest city and center of Tejano Culture

upload_2016-9-12_22-23-37.png

The following is a wikibox made by fellow Texan Herricks. I will put this within the Alamo post and try to have more wikiboxes uploaded in the future for my various wars. Tell me your opinion and do support Herricks's well written TL "America: A TL Retold". Thanks again for reading and Long Live the Republic!