1830-1857: Charlotte I "the Realm's Delight" (Hanover) [1]
1857-1890: Ernest I (Saxe-Coburg-Gotha) [2]
1890-1926: August I (Saxe-Coburg-Gotha) [3]
1926-1953: Mary III (Saxe-Coburg-Gotha) [4]
1953-1975: Alexander IV "the Broken" (Teck) [5]
1975 - present: George V (Teck) [6]

[1]
Princess_Charlotte_Augusta_of_Wales_and_Leopold_I_after_George_Dawe.jpg
Charlotte's recovery from the birth of her stillborn son was seen as a miracle as the doctors had been sure she would die. None were more relieved than Charlotte's husband Leopold. Charlotte claimed that when she was near death's door, it had been her husband's voice that beckoned her back.

Three years later, her grandfather died and her father was proclaimed king. Charlotte's relationship with her parents had always been strained as she felt as though they used her as pawns in their games. Her father's attempt to gain an annulment (which would render her a bastard) and his quest to remarried after Caroline's death did not help matters. In fact it got to a point where Charlotte outright declared that her newborn son (b 1523) was named after his great-grandfather, omitting her father.

In 1830 King George IV died. Hanover would be passed to his younger brother, William with whom Charlotte had a great relationship with. One of her first acts as the Queen of Great Britain was to make her husband Prince Consort. She and Leopold worked alongside the Prime Minster Lord Grey with introducing parliament reforms. She also wrote a speech supporting the abolishing slavery act.

When the Great Famine hit Ireland, Charlotte headed several charities to provide relief for the Irish and even traveled to Ireland to speak to the Lord Lutient personally. She even agreed to meet with the Duke of Leinster and listen to his suggestions. In hopes of giving Ireland a greater voice in parliament, Charlotte granted knighthoods, baronies, and earldoms.

Charlotte fell ill with typhoid fever in 1857. Her last words were to apologize to her husband that she could not listen to him this time. Leopold would outlive her for eight years. She was deeply mourned. Her eldest son, Ernest, Prince of Wales, would ascend to the throne.

[2]
View attachment 794295

King Ernest I was born in 1823 and was the only son and child of Queen Charlotte and her husband, Prince Leopold, the Prince Constort. The birth of Ernest Frederick was a day of celebration for Queen Charlotte and Prince Leopold since Queen Charlotte first pregnancy ended in stillbirth which nearly killed the Queen. When it came to the name the baby prince, to dismay of Charlotte's father King George IV, instead of being named George after his grandfather he was named Ernest Frederick after Ernest Frederick, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfed, his great grandfather from his father's family. Since Ernest Frederick was a only child, his parents were very fond him and showered him with their love and affection. In order to raise her son well and to become the perfect heir, Queen Charlotte used governesses and private tutors to educate him. Queen Charlotte's hard work paid off as Prince Ernest Frederick grew to be a handsome, kind, and intelligent man who mastered French, German, Italian, and Latin before he turned 20. In 1843, Queen Charlotte decided it was time for the 20 year old Prince Ernest Frederick to marry. After many candidates, Prince Ernest Frederick fell in love with Olga Nikolaevna of Russia, the daughter of Tsar Nicholas I and they were married a year later. The marriage between Ernest Frederick and Olga Nikolaevna was a happy one producing 6 children over his lifetime. Tragedy stuck Prince Ernest Frederick in 1857, when his beloved mother passed away from typhoid fever thus becoming king. When Ernest Frederick ascended to throne in 1857 he choose to be crowned as King Ernest I instead of King Ernest Frederick I which lead to historians long after his death to dub his reign as Ernestine Era.

Ernestine Era was very important era in British history as it marked a period of expansion of the British Empire and reform in the United Kingdom. The first major event of King Ernest's reign was the failed Indian Revolt where Indian Sepoys attempted to overthrow British and EIC rule in India which led to the end of EIC and the proclamation of King Ernest I as Emperor of India. King Ernest I over saw many events such as British neutrality in the American Civil War, the creation of the Kingdom of Vesperia in 1867, and the passing of Irish Home Rule Act of 1886 which allow Ireland to have self rule. King Ernest I would also be known as the grandfather of Europe as his 6 children and their descendants married into the royal families of Europe. Like other eras of history the Ernestine Era also had to come to end. In 1890, King Ernest I fell ill with pneumonia and passed away at the age of 67 with his Queen and 6 children by his side.

King Ernest I was succeeded by his second, but sole surviving son, Prince Augustus Karl.

[3]
View attachment 794431

August Karl
was the second son of King Ernest I and his Russian consort, Queen Olga, conceived in 1849. The conception of August Karl gave great relief to the British monarchy, due to the ill-mental state of his older brother, considered unfit for ruling Great Britain.

The young August Karl would grow to be a healthy, and intelligent boy, although lustful and arrogant as many historians note. He would bear an unknown number of illegitimate children, from which historians only count seven, although they could be more, by order of King Ernest to hide the promiscuous nature of his son. At twenty-four years (1873), Prince August would be married to the young Marie of Mecklenburg, having 3 children with her (two daughters, and a son).

Prince August would be a renowned and active politician in World affairs, considered the counterpart of Otto von Bismarck by his participation in the balance of power in Europe, by breaking British isolationism, forming bonds with France and Russia, being the last the strongest relation due to the dynastical proximity of both powers, while also doing a trip across all of the British dominions, visiting the United States in the process (1881). The dismissal of Bismarck in 1888, would be taken bitterly by Prince August, who publicly disliked Kaiser Willem II.

After his father died in 1890 due to pneumonia, August would be crowned August Karl I (or simply August I).

The reign of August would be remembered as a period of political stabilization, and monarchical proximity to their people. Loved by his people, August would greatly contribute to the industrialization and development of British life conditions and laws (including women's suffrage, and better labor conditions), although the British dominions would remain greatly untouched (except Canada and Australia). King August would face terrible crises (naval race with Germany, European instability, Irish independentism) and grievous military conflicts (Second Boer War, Naval Blockade of Venezuela), but the worst of all, would be the Great War.

Under the political direction of Great Britain and King August, the Triple Entente would manage to finish the military supremacy of the German Empire and the Central Powers, but at grievous casualties, both in population and economy. A failed number of Bolshevik revolutions would strike Russia thrice (1917, 1919, and 1920), but due to the active intervention of the Commonwealth, and the assasination of Vladimir Lenin in 1918, would eventually cause their ultimate failure.

Economical reconstruction and demilitarization would arrive in the United Kingdom by the end of the Great War, slowly recovering from the wounds that the terrible conflict caused, with the great approaching of the monarchy to the people and the former efforts.

In 1926, King August would pass away due to ill health (by his old age), being succeeded by his eldest child, Mary as the next monarch of the United Kingdom.
View attachment 794452
[4] Princess Mary Augusta, was born the eldest child in 1876, to Prince August and Marie of Mecklenburg, she would be followed by Princess Elizabeth Olga, in 1878 and Prince Ernest Adolphus in 1880.

Prince Ernest sadly, fell ill with influenza during the pandemic of 1890–1893, developing pneumonia and dying at the family’s house, St. James’s Palace, in London, on 21st February, 1893, less than three months before his 13th birthday, casting a black cloud over the family.
17 year old, Mary was now heir to her father, many believe that Queen Marie was sterile, after catching a venereal diseases, from her philandering husband.

In May 1896, Mary began courting her distant cousin, Prince Alexander of Teck who had been born at Kensington Palace on 14 April 1874, as the fourth child and third son of Prince Francis, Duke of Teck, and Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge, whom was a granddaughter of King George III.
The match was seen as an ideal one, although Alexander was of German heritage and from an undistinguished minor branch, his British birth and education, along with his Lutheran religion and officer training within the British army, set him up to be loved by the public as well as parliament.

They held off marriage until after he was promoted to Lieutenant in June 1899 and given the title, Duke of Windsor.
Their marriage was an extremely happy one, having all nine children before her succession in 1926, at the age of 50 years.
Serving for 31 years, Mary saw the independence of Ireland, which became a republic and war break in Europe again, in 1937, when the Volks Demokratische Republik Regierung von Deutschland (People's Democratic Republic Government of Germany or simply the VDDR) began invading neighbouring nations in the cause of liberating them from Monarchies or “undemocratic governments”. Led by co-chairman’s Josef Stahl and Adolph Hitler, the communist German army would become a Super power in Europe, only being contained either ends by the Russian empire to the East and the British Empire to the West, the war came to a stalemate end in 1951, with the Stockholm Treaty declaring a cease fire to the large-scale fighting directly between the three superpowers, but they each supported major regional conflicts known as proxy wars.
While her husband, dealt with handling the military aspect of ruling the country, Mary, along with her daughters, daughter-in-laws and granddaughters, assisted as much as they could with the domestic side, setting up charities to help the vulnerable citizens.
Many attribute her death to exhaustion, feeling drained from the war effort, passing away at the age of 77, being succeeded by her son, Alexander.

[5]
800px-King_George_VI_LOC_matpc.14736_%28cleaned%29.jpg

Alexander was born in 1902, the first born son of his parents. His childhood was filled with uncertainty as the first great war raged. Despite this, he grew determined to help his country in any way he could, joining the army at age eighteen. He was not there for very long as his mother became queen six years later, and she insisted he return to take up his duties as Prince of Wales.

For many years, he resisted getting married, insisting he was already married to England (stealing the lines of Elizabeth I). In 1929, he would marry his childhood friend, Lady Dorothy Cavendish, the daughter of the Duke of Devonshire. They would have four children. In 1937, war broke out again and this time, Alexander was prepared to fight despite his mother's protests. Alexander would fight until he suffered a grievous injury in 1943. He returned to England broken both mentally and physically. While his family, espically his beloved children helped him heal mentally, he would never again be able to walk, something that forever haunted him.

His mother died just two years after the Stockholm Treaty and Alexander would spend his reign trying to fix a broken country. One of his first acts was to renounce the title of Emperor of India since it had been dissolved, along with the freeing of many of Britain's colonies. Ironically the biggest domestic headache he had to handle was the whether or not he would be refereed to as Alexander the first or not. Alexander decided to go with the Scottish numbering for simplicity sake.

In 1975, he passed away from an accidental overdose of painkillers he had been using to deal with the pain of his injuries. Rumors that it was not so accidential have been thrown around, but those closest to him insist that he was a devoted family man, who would loved his children and grandchildren too much to do that to them.

1670535542971.png

[6] - George V was born in 1936 as the firstborn son of his father. When he was young, he was extremely close with his father, however his father's incapacitation during wartime made his father drift off from the rest of the family. Nevertheless, George V mainly became a family man, looking after his father and caring for him in his old age, whilst heading the Royal Family being largely disinterested in political affairs that governed the British Isles. He was also mostly a charity monarch, his fondness for helping out families being extended outside of his own family, and being gifted to his subjects as well. His charity projects as well as education funds helped uplift many people in his realm. When his father died in 1975, he ascended to the throne at the age of 39 adopting the regnal names of his Georgian forefathers.

After his ascension to the throne, George V cut down on the monarchy's publicity and expenses by a great deal, having a coronation ceremony that was largely not filled with any sort of the lavishness that had once become expected of such things, instead doing only the minimum required to keep up propriety and tradition only. George V remained a bachelor his whole life. He did have the occasional fling here and there before ascension, however his focus on keeping his father healthy prevented him from pursuing any major relationship and instead after ascending to the throne 'married' himself to the country itself.

Instead, in 1981, he officially made his nephew, the son of his younger brother, the Prince of Wales, basically signalling that he would probably never have biological children of his own. As the years go by, George V continues to remain a beloved monarch, well liked by all sections of british society as their 'grandfather'.

POD: What if the Moorish Revolt of 1568 - 71 succeeded in restoring a Moorish State in Iberia?

Kings & Queens of Granada
1568 - 1593: Aben I Humeya/Muhammad Ibn Ummayah 'The Liberator' (House of Humeya/Ummayah) [1]

1670536578923.png

[1] - Following a great deal of oppression and rising ethnic tensions in the titular Kingdom of Granada inside of Spain, in 1568, Crypto-Muslims and Christian Moors of Granada joined forces and declared themselves independent. They came under the leadership of the charismatic Aben Humeya, a Moorish descendant of the House of Ummayad. Considering the majority of the Moorish population still adhered to Crypto-Islam, this was a prestigious move. Aben Humeya adopting the regnal title Aben I proved himself to be an able monarch, defeating four attempted Spanish reconquests of the region and by 1571, all Spanish authority had been expelled from the Kingdom of Granada, with Aben I being formally proclaimed King by the nobility of the kingdom.

While Spain dithered on their rapid fall from grace with their defeat in the Moorish rebellion, Aben I debated politics. Aben I was personally a crypto-Muslim and went by his muslim name Muhammad Ibn Ummayah, but around 35% of Granada was firmly Christian whilst the rest was firmly Crypto-Muslim and Jewish in nature. In order to appease his Christian supporters, he concluded the Articles of Granada which decreed that the House of Humeya/Ummayah would remain Muslim, but adopt Christian regnal names as well - thus his regnal name Aben I - and that Christians & Jews were afforded the full rights of the nation. Granadan Arabic became the national language, coming out of the dark, and Aben I ruled his nation.

Aben I would rule his new independent Moorish realm for a further 21 years, having 7 children who would grow to adulthood with his 3 wives. During the remainder of his reign, he quickly established firmly good relations with England, France, Morocco, and the Ottomans to offset the Spanish who had been defeated again in 1576 in another reconquest attempt. Aben I had no wish to expand beyond Granada's borders however and kept the territorial status quo. However, in 1580, Spain signed the Moorish Expulsion Act, expelling all moors of Southern Spain and Aragon into Granada and North Africa. Aben I nevertheless handled the refugee situation calmly, managing to integrate ~100,000 new refugees into his country efficiently.

In 1593, at the age of 73, Aben I died of natural causes, mourned by his nation. He would be succeeded by ____________.

POD: What if the Moorish Revolt of 1568 - 71 succeeded in restoring a Moorish State in Iberia?

1568 - 1593: Aben I Humeya/Muhammad Ibn Ummayah 'The Liberator' (House of Humeya/Ummayah) [1]
1593 - 1608: Aben II Humeya/Arsalan Ibn Ummayah "the Conqueror" (House of Humeya/Ummayah) [2]

[2]
The rule of Arsalan ibn Humaya was short compared to his father's, yet established the foundations of a growing Kingdom of Granada. Conceived in 1571, Arsalan would become a great military figure, rivalizing with his intellectual brothers due to the difference in blood among them.

The ascension of Arsalan (crowned Aben II) as ruler of the kingdom, was something of controversy since he was chosen by his father to inherit the throne. His brothers would attempt to usurp it soon after he became King (1593), but with the support of his councilors, the rest of Aben I's blood would remain under house arrest for the rest of his rule.

c60a430c900f33edfd8e3f6edb14d560.jpg

Aben II enters triumphantly across the gates of Toledo, in 1596.

The consecutive decadence of the Spanish monarchy after the Moorish Independence War became a sign of weakness which the surrounding Christian kingdoms greatly took advantage of. England would seize many Caribbean possessions, while France would occupy Catalunia until the next century. The Moorish Granada would also take advantage of their position, and situation.

The [First] Moorish War would end with the pretext of the terrible conditions suffered by Muslim and Moorish populations in Castile. Arsalan would completely obliterate thrice the Iberian armies in the consecutive battles of Lisbon, Zaragoza, and Pamplona. Toledo would consequently fall, thus bringing an end to Spanish supremacy in the peninsula. A considerable amount of land would be annexed into the kingdom of Granada, with Iberia remaining greatly weakened. The Spanish monarchs would flee to America where they would seek safety, ruling from Ciudad de Mexico as Emperors of the Americas.

The rest of Arsalan's rule would be marked by long periods of political stabilization, and legal reconstruction in his Aben's Codex, merging the Iberian laws from both Muslim and Catholic populations to have better governance and control of his dominions (although the laws would largely remain the same).

Arsalan was cursed with infertility, having no children to succeed him, but an adopted boy which would be trained to become his successor.

He would die in 1608 of terrible cancer that surged from his belly. The next king of Granada would be ________.

Last edited:
Did he like annex all of Iberia or just portions of the Captaincy of Cordoba and Seville? If its the former then its massively ASB

1593 - 1608: Aben II Humeya/Arsalan Ibn Ummayah "the Conqueror" (House of Humeya/Ummayah) [2]
1608 - 1639: Zaid I Humeya/Abdur Rasheed Ibn Ummayah "The Visionary" (House of Humeya/Ummayah) [3]

[1] - Following a great deal of oppression and rising ethnic tensions in the titular Kingdom of Granada inside of Spain, in 1568, Crypto-Muslims and Christian Moors of Granada joined forces and declared themselves independent. They came under the leadership of the charismatic Aben Humeya, a Moorish descendant of the House of Ummayad. Considering the majority of the Moorish population still adhered to Crypto-Islam, this was a prestigious move. Aben Humeya adopting the regnal title Aben I proved himself to be an able monarch, defeating four attempted Spanish reconquests of the region and by 1571, all Spanish authority had been expelled from the Kingdom of Granada, with Aben I being formally proclaimed King by the nobility of the kingdom.

While Spain dithered on their rapid fall from grace with their defeat in the Moorish rebellion, Aben I debated politics. Aben I was personally a crypto-Muslim and went by his muslim name Muhammad Ibn Ummayah, but around 35% of Granada was firmly Christian whilst the rest was firmly Crypto-Muslim and Jewish in nature. In order to appease his Christian supporters, he concluded the Articles of Granada which decreed that the House of Humeya/Ummayah would remain Muslim, but adopt Christian regnal names as well - thus his regnal name Aben I - and that Christians & Jews were afforded the full rights of the nation. Granadan Arabic became the national language, coming out of the dark, and Aben I ruled his nation.

Aben I would rule his new independent Moorish realm for a further 21 years, having 7 children who would grow to adulthood with his 3 wives. During the remainder of his reign, he quickly established firmly good relations with England, France, Morocco, and the Ottomans to offset the Spanish who had been defeated again in 1576 in another reconquest attempt. Aben I had no wish to expand beyond Granada's borders however and kept the territorial status quo. However, in 1580, Spain signed the Moorish Expulsion Act, expelling all moors of Southern Spain and Aragon into Granada and North Africa. Aben I nevertheless handled the refugee situation calmly, managing to integrate ~100,000 new refugees into his country efficiently.

In 1593, at the age of 73, Aben I died of natural causes, mourned by his nation.

[2] The rule of Arsalan ibn Humaya was short compared to his father's, yet established the foundations of a growing Kingdom of Granada. Conceived in 1571, Arsalan would become a great military figure, rivalizing with his intellectual brothers due to the difference in blood among them.

The ascension of Arsalan (crowned Aben II) as ruler of the kingdom, was something of controversy since he was chosen by his father to inherit the throne. His brothers would attempt to usurp it soon after he became King (1593), but with the support of his councilors, the rest of Aben I's blood would remain under house arrest for the rest of his rule.

c60a430c900f33edfd8e3f6edb14d560.jpg

Aben II enters triumphantly across the gates of Toledo, in 1596.

The consecutive decadence of the Spanish monarchy after the Moorish Independence War became a sign of weakness which the surrounding Christian kingdoms greatly took advantage of. England would seize many Caribbean possessions, while France would occupy Catalunia until the next century. The Moorish Granada would also take advantage of their position, and situation.

The [First] Moorish War would end with the pretext of the terrible conditions suffered by Muslim and Moorish populations in Castile. Arsalan would completely obliterate thrice the Iberian armies in the consecutive battles of Lisbon, Zaragoza, and Pamplona. Toledo would consequently fall, thus bringing an end to Spanish supremacy in the peninsula. A considerable amount of land would be annexed into the kingdom of Granada, with Iberia remaining greatly weakened. The Spanish monarchs would flee to America where they would seek safety, ruling from Ciudad de Mexico as Emperors of the Americas.

The rest of Arsalan's rule would be marked by long periods of political stabilization, and legal reconstruction in his Aben's Codex, merging the Iberian laws from both Muslim and Catholic populations to have better governance and control of his dominions (although the laws would largely remain the same).

Arsalan was cursed with infertility, having no children to succeed him, but an adopted boy which would be trained to become his successor.

1670675599376.png

Zaid I

[3] - Zaid I was born the last son of the last son of Aben I Humeya. The Islamic Jurispendence of the country faltered at the wish of Aben II to have his adoptive child succeed him, seeing as Islamic Law forbid kingdoms, fiefs or royalties to be inherited by adoptive children as long as male descendants/relatives remained in the line of succession. As such, Zayd I was named King at the age of 27 by the Council of Ulema in Granada after his uncle's death.

Zaid I would be a controversial monarch thoughout his entire reign, only rehabilitated after his death. Upon ascension, Zaid I undid much of his uncle's conquests. Most of the lands his uncle had conquered in the northern tracts of Iberia were firmly Christian, and furthermore, they were not Moor Christians. Only Moor Christians were allowed freedom of religion according to the Articles of Granada, and they were always restless. Toledo - a Great City it may have been - was a financial drain due to its insecure location near the border and the fact that the inhabitants of the city hated Moorish rule. Barring regions with Moorish majority or plurality, Zaid I sold the other conquests - including Toledo - back to Spain in 1611 for a massive amount of sum. Spain - which was desperate to gain a better access to the Atlantic from the South again, and flushed with gold coming from the Andes, agreed to the exchange, and over 15,000,000 ducats was handed over to Granada in exchange for the territories, which was worth 7 years of uninterrupted taxation in Granada.

Despite the hefty price tag he put on the sale, the Northern Sales allowed Granada and Spain to at least reconcile with one another on a fundamental basis, and directly allowed the two powers to sign the 1615 Spanish-Granadan Treaty of Commerce, in which Granada allowed Spanish warships and trading ships to dock and use Granadan waters free of charge in exchange for a guarantee of independence. However, Zaid I never kept all his eggs in one basket and continued to forge better relations with other powers - namely the new Anglo-Scottish Personal Union and the Ottoman Empire. By 1617, however, discontent over the lost territories of his uncle seemed to be reaching a boiling point, and to co-opt the belligerent attitude of the elite, Zaid I raised the army and navy and instead invaded Northern Morocco which was then under the command of Sultan Zidan Abu Maali. The 1617 - 1625 North Morrocan War ended in Granadan victory and Granada instead annexed the Northern Moroccan coastline from Tangier to Saidia, which managed to allow Zaid I recoup his popularity by annexing friendly Moroccan populace.

The rest of Zaid I's reign was spent spending the money he got from Spain by investing the money into the country's infrastructure, and manufacturing capability. The rest of Zaid I's reign would thus be seen as a golden age of economics and travel in Granada. Zaid I would die in 1639 leaving the throne to ___________

I think Granada is well and truly dead.

I wonder if we do something different - similar due to the Hanover/UK list, the Duke list, and others. Any ideas?

I have some potential ideas for lists. We could do a list were Mary II and William III has a single son, or a English Victory in the One Hundred Years War list, or a list where the Portuguese Royal Family stay in Brazil after a Napoleonic victory in Europe and a list on the French puppet kingdom of Portugal to go along with it like the Hanover/UK list.

Last edited:
I have an oddball idea, one is having Vlad II Dracul (the father of Vlad the Impaler) evade capture by the Ottomans so his sons are not sent as hostages either.

I also had an idea involve the Three Kingdoms period of China but we'd have to put a time limit on that list.

But I do like @ImperialistOverlord's idea of a Portuguese Royal family in exile in Brazil in a Napoleonic Victory TL.

Some ideas I have for lists:
  1. Catherine the Great of Russia has another son who becomes the adopted heir of his uncle Frederick Augustus II of Anhalt-Zerbst.
  2. Wladyslaw IV, King of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth has surviving children who succeed him.
  3. An surviving independent Burgundy in a world where John, Prince of Asturias lives.

An idea: Francis II and Mary Stuart had fraternal twins. Boy inherits France and Scotland, creates a continuing Valois dynasty. Girl inherits England, starts her own Stuart dynasty in England. Would this be suitable for one list?

Some ideas I have for lists:

Catherine the Great of Russia has another son who becomes the adopted heir of his uncle Frederick Augustus II of Anhalt-Zerbst.

This one sounds interesting - and we can split it off and do Russia and Anhalt Zerbst. Make the second son definitely not Peters and then you don't have them with a Russian claim

I have some potential ideas for lists. We could do a list were Mary II and William III has a single son, or a English Victory in the One Hundred Years War list, or a list where the Portuguese Royal Family stay in Brazil after a Napoleonic victory in Europe and a list on the French puppet kingdom of Portugal to go along with it like the Hanover/UK list.
I am very interested in the Brazilian one. Could I start the list? @wwbgdiaslt

What If ... Catherine the Great had a legitimate son with Stanislaw Poniatowski

Princes of Anhalt Zerbst

1747 to 1793 : Frederick Augustus (House of Ascania)
1793 to 1831 : Antoni (House of Ascania-Poniatowski)

Emperor's and Empresses of Russia

1764 to 1796 : Catherine the Great (House of Ascania)
1797 to 1800 : Paul (House of Holstein Gottorp)
1800 to 1807 : Catherine III (House of Romanov)

Duke's of Holstein Gottorp

1762 to 1803 : Paul (House of Holstein Gottorp)

Preamble - Antoni Christian Poniatowski, legitimate son of Catherine the Great from a clandestine marriage to Stanislaw Poniatowski, half-brother of Emperor Paul, adopted heir of Frederick, Prince of Anhalt Zerbst, his maternal uncle, born in 1764, after his mother's ascension to the Russian imperial throne in 1762. His father's appointment as King of Poland Lithuania was summarily blocked, and out of requirement to keep Antoni far from the Russian Court, Catherine sent her son to live with her brother at the Ascanian Court, given his own residence and household in Dornburg. His mother inherited Jever from her brother, but abdicated her claim to this Dominion in favour of her second son, which estranged the half-brothers who were practically strangers.

Antoni would marry Augusta of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel (1764 to 1788) and they would have four children. Antoni would succeed his uncle and inherit Jever in 1793, and his mother died in 1796. The two brothers maneuvered against each other, but whilst Russia was nominally larger and stronger, Anhalt Zerbst had better connections on the international stage - to England, France and the States of the Holy Roman Empire. Emperor Paul was forced to recognise his brothers claims under the Treaty of Potsdam. Things took a turn when conclusive evidence that Peter III was not Emperor Paul's father was floated within the Russian Court, and there remained a period in which the House of Saltykov sat on the Imperial throne. And thus began the Russian Civil War - Paul, his wife and ten children were forced to accept that Paul's claim was technically illegitimate, though factions insisted that even if Saltykov was Paul's father, that his claim arose from his mother as a legitimate Empress by conquest in her own right, and others maintained that illegitimacy marred his claim. Paul held onto the Dukedom of Holstein Gottorp but was eventually forced to abdicate his Russian claim, with Catherine Antovna, fifty something, sickly and subject to seizures, installed as Catherine III, only intended as an interim Empress whilst the courts figured out the matter of the Russian succession (attention was paid to Count Bobrinsky, ironically Catherine's illegitimate son as a possible heir) and eventually appointed ___________.

Paul would not live to see the new Empresses death as he would die within a few short years of occupying the sole Ducal throne of Holstein Gottorp, and he would be succeeded by ___________.

Antoni in turn would succeed both Catherine and Paul, and die twenty years later at the same age his mother had passed of suspected cancer, and __________ would become the new Prince of Anhalt Zerbst.

Last edited: