Let's make better US state flags

The Illinois centennial one looks pretty good. Personally I don't really like flags that are as oblong as that one, but it's nice nonetheless.

The new Virginia flag there I quite like. Good job!

As for Florida the problem is that if you do the current one and just remove the seal it's identical to the flag of Alabama (and a couple of European ones, while we are at it). Only difference is the shade of red, which is slightly lighter in the Floridian flag.

I'd suggest maybe keeping the red cross (which is actually ultimately derived from the coat of arms of Burgundy, via Spain), and instead of a seal you put a white star in the middle, taking a cue from the Bonnie blue flag of West Florida.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania:

new pennsy.png

My suggestion for Florida, drawing on both the current flag and the Bonnie blue of West Florida, as well as having quite the American feel to it I think.

Bonnieblue.png

What do you think?

Bonnieblue.png

My suggestion for Florida, drawing on both the current flag and the Bonnie blue of West Florida, as well as having quite the American feel to it I think.

What do you think?

The design is fine, but overlaying the red on the blue just doesn't work. It needs a VERY thin, almost pencil thin, white border between the saltire and the field. Just enough to visually separate but not enough to evoke the Union Flag.

The design is fine, but overlaying the red on the blue just doesn't work. It needs a VERY thin, almost pencil thin, white border between the saltire and the field. Just enough to visually separate but not enough to evoke the Union Flag.

I found it actually looked better with a somewhat thick white border instead. Like this:

Bonnieblue.png

The thin border just looked weird.

It is maybe a bit evocative of the CSA though...

Bonnieblue.png

Hmm...

Seals are never a good idea. They are too complex to be easily recognisable from a distance. You simply don't need that much detail on a flag.

Granted the coloured stripes help set the thing apart anyway, but maybe replace the seal with something else? How about a couple of stars arranged in the pattern of the islands?

Now that is nice. I like it.

Here's my suggestion for Hawaii:

Flag_of_Hawaii.png

Didn't want to mess with the original too much. It's old and has history. But you can't have a British flag, that's just silly. So it's a circle of eight white stars on a field of blue instead. One star for each major island.

EDIT: Cleaned up the stars.

Flag_of_Hawaii.png

Last edited:

NomadicSky

Banned
I really liked the proposed state flag for Mississippi. Its a shame this wasn't adopted. There was also a really fantastic one that didn't make it, it had stars on a red field rather than blue with blue stripes and got rid of that silly line, it was thought to be to Cubaish but I loved it.

us-ms-new4.jpg