Let's make better US state flags

Maryland

File:Flag_of_Maryland.svg
File:Flag_of_Maryland.svg
[ I can't seem to get an image of the flag to post so just google 'Maryland Flag' if you can't remember what it looks like ]
Don't mess with Maryland's! It is the only state flag that is based on heraldic design and it is easily recognizable from a distance. Maryland is also the only stae that defines the official flagpole along with the flag. By law The flagpole is supposed to be topped with 'a gold cross bottony' (think of the cross displayed in the two quadrants of the flag but in gold)

Last edited:
[ I can't seem to get an image of the flag to post so just google 'Maryland Flag' if you can't remember what it looks like ]
Don't mess with Maryland's! It is the only state flag that is based on heraldic design and it is easily recognizable from a distance. Maryland is also the only stae that defines the official flagpole along with the flag. By law The flagpole is supposed to be topped with 'a gold cross bottony' (think of the cross displayed in the two quadrants of the flag but in gold)

I'm a bit biased by the fact that I live in Maryland, but it's definitely one of the best state flags, if not the best.

Here's a working picture for the lazy types. :D

md_fi.gif

Here's a Washington flag I whipped up in about a minute and a half. It's not very well made (I didn't clean up the edges of the silhouette and it isn't centered perfectly) but you get the idea. The state of Washington used to have this irritating habit of slapping George Washington's silhouette on everything. It's mostly passed by now, but you still see evidence of it on our state highway signs. Wikipedia says that "At the turn of the 20th century, Washington state residents flew a blue military flag with President Washington's profile in gold." I took that idea (I couldn't find an actual image) and added some of the green from the modern state flag. I think it looks slightly better than the normal one. That's not saying much though . . .

Washington state alternate flag.png

My TL has this for Alaska-

That's kind of nice, but the OTL Alaskan flag is one of the better state flags. It has a clearly recognisable symbol and lacks the 'coat of arms on a coloured background' that we see on most state flags.

That's kind of nice, but the OTL Alaskan flag is one of the better state flags. It has a clearly recognisable symbol and lacks the 'coat of arms on a coloured background' that we see on most state flags.

Seal. US states have seals, not coats of arms. ;)

mowque

Banned

Yeah but since my TL's Alaska has signifigatnyl different borders, the same flag just seemed wrong.

NomadicSky

Banned
My TL has this for Alaska-

Thats still very nice though, they have a fantastic flag already but I do like that one.

I like this for Florida it does evoke the CSA but who cares heritage is not hate.

Actually it has three elements, Spanish, American, and Confederate. Mississippi claims those 13 stars represent the original 13 states, I seriously was taught that in Mississippi history.

To bad Florida didn't adopt in a less PC time, because this would be simply fantastic for the sunshine state.

rIZHF.png

The Florida flags could also be said to invoke reestablished loyalty to the government in Washington thanks to the color scheme. I would add something to do with the cattle industry since Florida was the chief supplier of beef during the Civil War for the South and having the largest cattle ranch in the country today.

i have a ton of flags for my home state, Michigan, and this is one of them.
inspired by a reddit post (which seems to be missing/deleted?) and they posted it at the flag of Superior (a state proposed but denied and it consisted of the upper peninsula or U P for short) and the major difference was it had 3 stripes insted of 5:
upload_2016-11-13_10-40-48-png.295406

the 5 stripes represent the 5 great lakes
the white represents the shore, snow and the peaceful (ish) nature of the state
and the green represents the Peninsulas and the natural beauty of the state.
thoughts?