Let Them Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chapter 44: Post War (Part 1)

Geon

Donor
This will be the beginning of the wrap-up for this TL/story. Because it will be the longest entry I am dividing it into parts. As always thank you all for your support throughout this. And don't worry - the sequel is coming!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 44: Post-War (part 1)

The Great European War or World War I ended with a clear victory for the Central Powers of Germany and Austro-Hungary. But it left the rest of Europe in an uncertain state.

The Naval Conference called for by Germany in the Treaty of Berlin (March 1919 to April 1920) ultimately broke down as the major powers could not agree in what constituted “reasonable” tonnage limits. The result was predictable. A naval arms race between the major naval powers ensued.

Some general lessons were learned by all the major participants in the war. Mobility was the order of the day in modern warfare. And the faster one could get troops forward the better. Thus, all the former combatants began to look at developing means to more quickly move troops forward and to bring the battle to the enemy faster. The doctrine of mobile warfare would be developed by both the Central Powers and by the former Entente. In the decades following the war armored fighting vehicles, euphemistically referred to as “tanks” by some of the British soldiers for their appearance began to appear in the respective armies of all the major European powers.

Airpower was also a major factor that was considered. The possibilities of air power and its capabilities were clear to everyone and by the 1920s all the major powers in Europe had developed numerous models of both fighters and bombers for their burgeoning air forces. Zeppelins had been shown briefly in the First World War to serve as useful reconnaissance platforms and bombers. There had even been talk of using them as airborne “aircraft carriers”. But these hopes were dashed when the German Luftwaffe Airship von Bulow caught fire and crashed in a freak thunderstorm killing its 30-man crew. Hydrogen gas it was seen was simply too dangerous to use in airships and the United States held monopoly on helium. Thus, the age of the warship would come to a fiery end that day on November 20, 1925.

At sea, the battleship still ruled, but it was becoming clear the aircraft carrier and the submarine considered at first with scorn by the navies of the UK, France, and Russia, would be major contributors in the future battles at sea. However, some powers like Austria-Hungary were slow to accept this.

Sadly, another development that was worrying to all was the development of chemical and biological agents for use in warfare. All the major powers experimented with chemical warfare to one extent or another and Britain and Germany also did experimentation in developing ways to deliver virulent forms of anthrax and other biological agents. Alarmed at this type of arms race none other then Pope Pius XI in 1930 hosted a meeting with representatives from Europe’s major powers attending with the purpose of finding a way to limit or abolish these weapons. Unfortunately, the conference produced some noble high-sounding resolutions but no real action. The question of chemical and biological agents would hang over the world like a sword of Damocles for years to come.

For the individual powers in post-war Europe the years following World War I were anything but tranquil.

France: France had been where all the fighting in the west had occurred. While physical damage had been at a minimum, the damage to the French economy., not to mention French pride was great.

France had now lost two major wars in Europe against Germany. She had been forced to relinquish territory to Germany for 20 years to pay off “war debts.” While many would argue that France had gotten off lightly that argument would have sounded hollow to many Frenchmen.

The slightly left-of-center government headed by Georges Clemenceau as a compromise candidate for Prime Minister lasted only until the Recession of 1919. The loss of large sections of French coal, iron, and agricultural production sent the French economy into a tailspin. That added to lingering anger about the handling of the war lead to the Veterans March on Paris in September 1919. Angry veterans were complaining of not receiving pensions promised them. Instead, the government had sent IOUs to be cashed in later. As a result, angry at the betrayal of France by the hated Treaty of Berlin and the way they were being treated by their government the veterans combining with several conservative elements in the government forced a vote of no-confidence on the French Republic.

A more conservative government took power. It’s first act was to pay off the soldiers. This in turn was funded by a tax on luxury goods. The populace in general was not happy about this and counterdemonstrations occurred in many French cities. There would be clashes with French gendarmes and with the veterans resulting in dozens dead and hundreds injured and many more arrested.

By 1934 when the German occupation of the French provinces ended France was still hurting economically but she was also looking for revenge against both Germany and Belgium.

Great Britain: Of all the powers who took part in World War I Great Britain fared the best as she had the fewest losses. Further she had not lost any colonial territory. The post war years saw her economy boom even as France’s went bust. Part of this was that France found itself importing more raw materials from Britain and the United States to meet its industrial needs.

By 1934 when Germany’s occupation of the French zones ended Britain still ruled the waves though her army was still a small one by comparison with the other powers. But it was a mobile one. Two fully operational tank divisions were part of the new army and the Royal Air Force detached from the Army and became a power unto itself.

And of course, Britannia still ruled the waves. By the 1930’s Britain boasted five aircraft carriers and 20 battleships as part of its fleet, as well as cruisers and smaller support vessels. However, Britain found herself locked in a naval arms race on the one hand with Germany in Europe and with the United States.

In foreign affairs Britain had to deal first in 1916 with the Irish Uprising. Lasting 1 ½ years the Uprising forced Britain to deploy most of its home army to Ireland to put down the revolt. Even airplanes were used to bomb Dublin and other major Irish cities. Thousands of British soldiers, Irish Republicans, and regular civilians died in the fighting. While Ireland was kept within the Union there would be simmering hatreds in that area for decades to come. Some would call the Irish Uprising, a taste of what was to come.

In addition, Britain was to involve itself in the Arab Revolts of 1920-21. The Ottoman Empire had been denied a chance at a land grab during World War I owing to the quick resolution of that war. But British Intelligence had learned that the Ottomans were making plans to invade British controlled Egypt. To head off this potential invasion Britain sent several agents, most notably T.E. Lawrence aka Lawrence of Arabia to negotiate with the various Bedouin and other Arab tribes, none of which were fond of the Ottomans. In 1920 the Arab Revolts began and by 1921 the Saudi peninsula was under the control of the House of Saud per a deal made between Britain and Sheikh ibn Saud. The Revolt was all that was needed to cause the tottering Ottoman Empire to begin to collapse in on itself. By the end of the decade the Empire was effectively gone, and Mustafa Kamal Pasha reformed the remnants of the Empire into the Republic of Turkey.

Entering the 1930’s Britain was an economic and military powerhouse with little to worry about from its European neighbors – seemingly.

Last edited:
These armored fighting vehicles were initially developed by the Landship Committee, or the Director of Naval Construction's Committee.

You could go with the original name that these vehicles went by, "Landships", until they were renamed "tanks" for secrecy.

You could do worse than landships.

Post War (Part 2)

Geon

Donor
Germany: Germany had come out of the war the victor. Poland was to all intents and purposes a German protectorate and an agreement was made with Belgium to allow a set number of German troops to be garrisoned on Belgian soil with Germany paying a reasonable fee for this privilege.

Following the war Kaiser Wilhelm II found himself, considering, read that forced to consider, major reforms in the German political system. Much against his will the Reichstag was given more power and the Ministers now had to be appointed directly through the Reichstag. The power of the Junkers began to be slowly reduced. As the Old Guard began to die off their heirs began to break up the old estates and sell them off to farmers. It was time many of the young Germans, among them the Crown Prince himself to consider reforms to the system.

As Kaiser Wilhelm watched the old guard change, he also oversaw the growth of the Heer, the Luftwaffe, and the Kreigsmarine (as the High Seas Fleet came to be called).

By the 1930’s the Heer had two operational divisions of tanks and was in the process of modernizing its infantry. Under the leadership of one Hans Guderian who had studied texts by both the British and the French on mobile warfare a new form of mobile warfare was being considered. However, Guderian had to constantly deal with generals in the army who believed, contrary to his theories, that tanks were best used as mobile artillery support for infantry and the airplane likewise. Nevertheless, by the 1930’s Germany was developing its own doctrine of mobile warfare.

In the air as well Ernst Udet as Head of the Luftwaffe began training his pilots in the new doctrine developed by Guderial of combined mobile warfare. Germany’s air force would be second to none on the continent by 1930.

At sea likewise, Germany continued to develop its fleet. With no clear naval treaty however, the German fleet found itself in an arms race with both the British, the French (after 1934) and the Americans. By 1930 Germany boasted 5 aircraft carriers and 12 battleships as well as 85 submarines of various models.

In foreign affairs Germany sought closer relations with Britain as her relations with France remained understandably chilled. Early attempts to reach out to Russia had started well but with the death of Czar Nicholas II those efforts came to an abrupt halt.

All in all the time from 1915 until 1944 was considered by one history commentator, “A good time to be German.”

Last edited:

Geon

Donor
In this TL tanks are more a catch-all term for any armored fighting vehicle be it a combat tank or an APC? If it is a wheeled armored vehicle it's called a tank regardless of its official designation.

Deleted member 94680

Time for my regular reminder that Wehrmacht is German for “Armed Forces” (meaning the 2/3 combined services) and the correct term for “Army” in German is Heer.

why change the navy name to Kreigsmarine ? and why are the navies so small with no naval treaty they should be much larger even if they phase out all the 11 and 12 inch battlewagons. Great Story

Geon

Donor
why change the navy name to Kreigsmarine ? and why are the navies so small with no naval treaty they should be much larger even if they phase out all the 11 and 12 inch battlewagons. Great Story
Not being a naval expert I erred on the side of caution. I didn't want anyone to say I had overdone it as regards naval building.

"House of Saud"
Oh goddammit, these nutjobs are in power now.

I suppose the Ottoman decline and collapse has been a long time coming, being one of the Old Men of Europe along side the Austro-Hungarians, but I wonder how early 20th century imperialism will manifest in the Middle East, North African regions without a Sykes-Picot Agreement for partition of influence.

I can see France wanting a piece of former Ottoman land, and they might be more aggressive about due to their hurt pride, but being at a disadvantage economically.

How are things going on in East Asia? The Qing should have collapsed by now and Japan could be looking to gain more influence in the region.

Deleted member 94680

Not being a naval expert I erred on the side of caution.
OTL at the outbreak of WWI (which is the same ITTL), Britain had 29 battleships and Germany had 17 - that’s just the dreadnoughts.

That doesn’t include all the pre-dreads and the 9 and 7 battlecruisers they both had too.

Deleted member 94680

"House of Saud"
Oh goddammit, these nutjobs are in power now.
They were the pro-British influence in the area OTL pre-WWI, so ITTL it makes sense that the British would use/“allow” them to destabilise the Ottomans. OTL, the Hashemites were late to the game and only really came about due to WWI Ottoman power struggles.

Not being a naval expert I erred on the side of caution. I didn't want anyone to say I had overdone it as regards naval building.
Instead you managed to massively underdo it. Pre ww1 Britain was laying down 4 large ships (battleships or battlecruisers) a year.

If something like the g3 becomes popular post war we might see Britain and Germany lay down a mere 1 or 2 battleships of the modern type each year but they wouldn't get rid of Battleships of the pre ww1 less modern type for no reason.

Just read through this timeline.

First of all, I loved it - it's a very unique take on an alternate WW1.

Secondly, one consequence of the short war is that the battlecruiser's shortcomings have not been brought to light - yet. Could be interesting to see if there are any consequences.

Geon

Donor
Instead you managed to massively underdo it. Pre ww1 Britain was laying down 4 large ships (battleships or battlecruisers) a year.

If something like the g3 becomes popular post war we might see Britain and Germany lay down a mere 1 or 2 battleships of the modern type each year but they wouldn't get rid of Battleships of the pre ww1 less modern type for no reason.
I revamped the numbers. Better?

marathag

Banned
n addition, Britain was to involve itself in the Arab Revolts of 1920-21. The Ottoman Empire had been denied a chance at a land grab during World War I owing to the quick resolution of that war. But British Intelligence had learned that the Ottomans were making plans to invade British controlled Egypt. To head off this potential invasion Britain sent several agents, most notably T.E. Lawrence aka Lawrence of Arabia to negotiate with the various Bedouin and other Arab tribes, none of which were fond of the Ottomans
Ottomans had zero interest in starting a War with the British, especially when thy aren't tied up in Europe. Ottomans were worried about containing Bulgaria, and regaining Western Thrace, but after two Balkan Wars, they were broke and needed expensive reforms. They had been constantly fighting, and losing, since 1911

Regaining Egypt and the rest of their lost Empire in North Africa was seen as beyond possibility. Reforms and German support, they may be able to do something in the Balkans, and regaining some Aegean islands and some possibility in the Caucasus to get Russian Azerbaijan back

They wanted to install a Muslim Prince over an enlarged Albania, but would remain under Austrian Protection, to keep the Serbs pointed at A-H

Before the start of the War, the British, French and Germans all wanted the Ottoman as Neutral, and each were offering deals. Recall the British building ships for the Ottoman Navy, and the Germans wanting the Railway to Baghdad.

But a drive on Egypt without a rock solid treaty with A-H and Germany, and guarantees on Russian and Italian Neutrality? Nope, not a chance

T.E. Lawrence may miss his chance in joining the Army

Following the outbreak of hostilities in August 1914, Lawrence did not immediately enlist in the British Army. He held back until October on the advice of S. F. Newcombe, when he was commissioned on the General List.[46] Before the end of the year, he was summoned by renowned archaeologist and historian Lt. Cmdr. David Hogarth, his mentor at Carchemish, to the new Arab Bureau intelligence unit in Cairo, and he arrived in Cairo on 15 December 1914.

EDIT :
and no Arab Bureau, either. From the Wiki
The Arab Bureau was a section of the Cairo Intelligence Department established in 1916 during the First World War, and closed in 1920, whose purpose was the collection and dissemination of propaganda and intelligence about the Arab regions of the Middle East.[1]

According to a Committee of Imperial Defence paper from 7 January 1916, the Arab Bureau was established to "harmonise British political activity in the Near East...[and] keep the Foreign Office, the India Office, the Committee of Defence, the War Office, the Admiralty, and Government of India simultaneously informed of the general tendency of Germano-Turkish Policy."[2]

Brian Westrate wrote in his 1992 history of the Arab Bureau that "the agency has subsequently borne much of the blame for Britain's terrible mishandling of Middle Eastern policy during and shortly after World War I."
[3]

Last edited:
I can’t really think of a reason why it would stop being the Kaiserliche Marine. Calling it the Kriegsmarine makes it sound like an outright threat against the other major powers, i.e. Great Britain, and would probably get shot down in the Reichstag.

It is quite possible, that Kaiserliche Marine still exists, but it's role has become similar to British HM Naval Service. HM Naval service includes Royal Navy, Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA), Naval Careers Service etc. German equivalent could be Kaiserliche Marine, consisting of Kriegsmarine (based on the High Seas Fleet and other fighting units), Marine Infanterie, some kind of equivalent of RFA (here lies the reason to name other fleet Kriegsmarine, to avoid confusion) etc. It is even possible, that merchant fleet (Handelsmarine) is included in the Kaiserliche Marine as wartime auxiliary or everyday equivalent of RFA (then with with partial state support, professional training standards and standardized ship types).

It is quite possible, that Kaiserliche Marine still exists, but it's role has become similar to British HM Naval Service. HM Naval service includes Royal Navy, Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA), Naval Careers Service etc. German equivalent could be Kaiserliche Marine, consisting of Kriegsmarine (based on the High Seas Fleet and other fighting units), Marine Infanterie, some kind of equivalent of RFA (here lies the reason to name other fleet Kriegsmarine, to avoid confusion) etc. It is even possible, that merchant fleet (Handelsmarine) is included in the Kaiserliche Marine as wartime auxiliary or everyday equivalent of RFA (then with with partial state support, professional training standards and standardized ship types).
that could actually make since.

I want to say that I love this Timeline for its novel approach to WWI.

Yes I can see all four Admiral Class being built. with no Jutland

Landships would work. In one timeline I was sketching out, but never did anything with, the English speaking world called them "Charts."
The French invented them, and as in OTL, called them "Chars." The Tommies just used a term that was familiar to them, and sounded a lot like "Char," and the rest was (alternate) history.
In short, almost anything is possible. Different English speaking nations might even have different terms. After all, asking to buy a silencer because you need to solve a problem means something completely different in the USA and Britain.

I would think that biological warfare would be possible to outlaw. It's the one weapon that can keep killing and respects no borders--even gas dissipates, and doesn't reproduce itself.
That makes it a threat to everyone, depending on the format it's used in, I can even see this as something that the normally isolationist USA gets unhappy with, (Even with the USA not as boosted as in OTL, do not make the USA genuinely angry.)

Status
Not open for further replies.