İzmir

Captain Sinan, commander of dozens of galleys, lord of great wealth, and fear incarnate for every God fearing Christian that passed the Pillars of Hercules, sat at the head of his table, twirling his knife in one hand, and holding an apple in the other. After his informal retirement a number of years earlier, the old captain had mainly received visitors in the form of young, hotshot corsairs who sought funding for their own ventures in the Mare Nostrum. There was also the constant news of his own son’s path of destruction through the sea, a thought which brought a tear to the old Jew’s eye.

Now, Sinan lived in his grand estate in İzmir, his home on land for decades, and ever since his retirement, his real home. Thinking back on his sea days, Sinan couldn't help but miss the plundering of cities, the crack of cannon fire, the smell of the salt. Now he enjoyed the fruits of his labor, but what use was life without adventure? The great captain sighed.

He looked over towards the entrance to his home. Today, he welcomed the great patrons and bankers of the Nasi, who likely wished for his influence for some protection with the corsairs. Nothing really interesting, Sinan thought as he dove his knife into the apple, taking out a few slices to chomp on. Bankers were always very dull, and Sinan always expressed this when speaking to them.

Of course he knew of the place Jews had as lenders, but what use was a making gold off of loans and interest when you could ransack a port or seize the stores of an “unfortunate” merchant? Things would be better for the people had they taken up the sword and galley instead of the pen and ledger. For one, he might not have been forced from his home with his family, pushed onto a crowded ship, and dropped off in a foreign land speaking a language he could not understand

Just as he was contemplating these thoughts, his servants told him of the Nasi’s arrival, and Sinan just shrugged as they walked towards him sitting at the enormously long table.

“Greetings, great captain Sinan,” the taller one said and they both took off their caps. Sinan just stared at them and continued to eat his apple. The two men then sat down at the table, out of deference, on the other side. “We come to you with a proposition-” Sinan began to tune out, he’d heard enough “propositions” to fill several lifetimes and change.

He remained expressionless and soon he’d finished his apple, whose core he threw at the corner. Sinan even yawned and shifted in his seat. He could hear the two men talk softly between themselves, “Joseph, do you think he is even listening? The man is rather old after all.”

Sinan decided to make this a much shorter meeting than the two men would have predicted. “I’m not senile yet, boys, if you’ve got a summary of your speech than I’d like to hear it though. I am a busy man.” Sinan wasn’t actually busy though, but of course they didn’t know that.

“Well, great captain, we are in the process of acquiring a charter from the Sultan for this land in the West Indies.” The taller man motioned to his companion and he produced a pocket sized copy of a map and walked over to Sinan to give it to him. Sinan scrutinized the image, which seemed to be a rough map of the northern coast of the continent of America. Sinan had never been to the West Indies, but he’d been quite acquainted with the East Indies in the war he’d fought against the Portuguese there. He ventured that they could not be radically different from each other, and he had possessed Mexican and Incan gold a number of times from plundered ships.

“And, what exactly do I have to do with this? Surely you have the funds necessary to carry out this expedition?” Sinan did not expect the wealthy Nasis to need money from him, as they were probably one of if not the biggest banking house in Europe.

“Why, we wish to enlist your protection of the venture,” the tall man said. “We hope to create a Jewish colony in this land, and where better to find protection from the Spaniards than the great Jewish pirate?” The taller man looked nervously at Sinan as he pondered the idea.

Sinan did not need to think long however. Too long he’d spent counting his gold from the adventures he’d had and collecting tribute from those still terrified of his wrath. Now, he needed to go. It was not long ago that he had hit sixty, and God would not give him many more years to live on this earth. He thought of the death of his friend, good old Barbarossa, who he had watched pass right before his eyes over a decade ago. He wouldn’t let death claim him that easily.

“Boys, I never thought you’d ask.” Sinan rose to his feet and walked over to the men, patting one of them hard on the back. “I’ll help you, it's been too many years since I’ve plunged a blade into a Spaniard chest anyway.” Pointing his hand towards a window and the docks of İzmir, Sinan shouted, “To the sea!”

Wait, what?
A very small community of Anusim continued to live there, and there were Sephardi Anus merchants there as well. Every now and again there would be accusations of this person or that being secretly Jewish as well, par the course for much of Europe at the time.

Very happy to see this continued: a thriving Jewish/Ottoman colony in the new world is a long shot, but you seem to have a good plan!

Is this Sinan an historical person? I only know of the Kapudan Pasha Cığalazade Yusuf Sinan Pasha, but he was born Genoese and certainly not a Jew (Scipione Cicala). He was also active in the second half of the xvi century, so it cannot be the same one, who is already an older man.

Very happy to see this continued: a thriving Jewish/Ottoman colony in the new world is a long shot, but you seem to have a good plan!

Is this Sinan an historical person? I only know of the Kapudan Pasha Cığalazade Yusuf Sinan Pasha, but he was born Genoese and certainly not a Jew (Scipione Cicala). He was also active in the second half of the xvi century, so it cannot be the same one, who is already an older man.
He is indeed

Topkapi Palace, Kostantiniyye‎

In one of the great meeting chambers of Topkapi Palace, several figures gathered to speak. Gracia and Joseph Nasi came with Captain Sinan, who Gracia found to be an interesting, if rough, character. They were due to first meet with Kapudan Pasha Piyale of the Ottoman Fleet and Grand Vizer Rüstem, and convince them of the utility of the West Indies possession. Then, they would depart and discuss this with Sultan Süleyman and the Crown Prince Selim, a good friend of Joseph. After conferring with the two, the Sultan and Crown Prince would meet with Joseph and Gracia to hear their formal petition and decide.

When Gracia told Sinan of this, he appeared frustrated. “If you are such great friends with the Crown Prince, why not simply meet with him and cut out these middlemen?”

“Convincing the Crown Prince is not convincing the Sultan,” Gracia tried to explain. “The Sultan would prefer to hear the advice of his admiral and Grand Vizer as well. The more people we convince, the easier the task becomes.”

Soon after, the Kapudan Pasha and Grand Vizer arrived with their adjuncts and Gracia, Joseph, and Sinan greeted them. Sitting down, they delivered their pitch. “Now, we wish to speak of the new world,” Joseph began, “I, and many illustrious individuals of the Empire have drafted a petition for a colonial charter in the Americas that we wish for the Imperial Government to grant. We believe that a strong base for this plan exists in the displaced Spanish Jews who we can ensure emigration and financial backing to sustain such a venture.” Clearing his throat, Joseph motioned for a servant to bring in a map of the known parts of the West Indies. “We can bring in great revenue for the Empire in the various goods of mainland Northern America and interdict the trade that the Spanish and Portuguese conduct with their possessions. Captain Sinan, can you elaborate on this?"

Sinan stood up eagerly from his chair and quickly began pointing at various bays, inlets, and small islands in the sea known as the Caribbean. “As you can see there are many advantageous places in the Caribbean that were hardly seen by a Spaniard, let alone fortified and settled. If we were to take a force of corsairs and break out of the straits, we could establish ourselves in many such places. These groups could act completely self-sufficient of our supply lines, live off the land and plundered ships, severely harm Spanish and Portuguese commerce, and replenish their ranks through natives and slaves freed. I can ensure the manpower for some of the backing, but given the blue water craft necessary,” Sinan gestured towards Piyale, “I will require aid from the Admiralty.”

Piyale and Rüstem considered this, and inquired upon the details. “And if such a colony would be established,” Piyale asked, “How could we provide for its security against Spanish Mexico?"

Gracia stepped forward this time. “We do not expect to set the colony very close to Mexico, but not extremely far either. The lands explored by Giovanni da Verrazzano should prove most fruitful, as he found temperate lands filled with strategic bays in which ships could harbor. We expect to bring in many colonists from the Empire proper and North Africa, as many Jews that we have discussed this with have said that their communities would be willing to go, and train them in a militia alongside a small contingent of Turkish troops. From this and some Captain Sinan’s ships stationed for permanent protection, the colony should be safe. We also do not plan on antagonizing the natives, and avoid the mistakes of the Spaniard.”

After this lengthy explanation, Gracia sat back down. Piyale and Rüstem had of course been well introduced before with Gracia, but the adjuncts had not, and appeared quite surprised, even if decorum forbid them from making any vocal objections. A woman giving military advice in the Empire was unusual to say the least, but Garcia was no usual woman. Finally, Rüstem spoke. “And of these Jews, can you guarantee their loyalty to the Sultan?” The question was simple, and reasonable from his perspective, but it did strike home the fact that despite the allegiance of Jews to the Sultan, they were not always viewed as equal to a Turk.

Joseph responded to this question. “As a humble servant of the Sultan, having been given the pleasure of acting as his emissary in many occasions, I will ensure that this colony is given only the best of the Empire’s subjects. I hope my word can assuage your concerns.” Joseph turned a weary eye towards Gracia after he said this.

Both Piyale and Rüstem appeared satisfied and they left the room to speak with the Sultan and Crown Prince. Sinan was then asked to leave so they could formally introduce the petition, which he did reluctantly. The two waited for some time before finally, the doors opened, and as various attendants filed in, the Crown Prince Selim came forth.

“Joseph! It has been some time, no?” Selim came to Joseph and gave him a hearty hug. The two men had been fast friends since the Nasi house’s arrival in Turkey and time had only strengthened their friendship. Of course, he had ignored Gracia, although after a moment of catching up, he turned and greeted her. “So,” Selim began, “I have heard much of your plan.” Joseph was about to deliver his pitch when Selim stopped him. “There’s no need. I love it! I think we could gain so much and enrich the Empire greatly. I need only convince the Sultan further, which I believe we can accomplish together.”

While they spoke, Gracia watched and was interrupted by an attendant of Selim’s. “In proper deference with the court customs and to the Sultan, it would be best if you left the room before the Sultan were to arrive.”

Gracia appeared stoic. “If the Sultan wishes for me to leave his presence, I think he shall make it known.” Gracia knew that schmoozing and grovelling was not her strong suit, but she wanted to see this to its completion. She saw that both the Crown Prince and the Sultan were unlikely to engage her as an equal on this, but that was the price of being a woman.

Gracia continued to observe the jovial conversation between Selim and Joseph, when finally the Sultan arrived. Both Joseph and Gracia made the necessary deferential gestures and they began to speak. Joseph made his pitch, mostly the same as the one he had given before. After finishing, the Sultan waited a moment and replied.

“I have heard much of this plan,” the Sultan began, “It could have great rewards for the Empire, but I see great risks as well. This would be a large investment, and I do not take it lightly. Therefore, having heard all of what you have said and realizing the support for it. I shall consider it, and relay back to you my final decision. Good to see you both.” The Sultan then left the room.

“I have tried my best, but I’m sure you have as well,” Selim said to the Nasis. “We shall wait for his opinion, and hope it shall come soon and favorably.” Joseph and Gracia nodded, and left the room. Gracia believed he would agree, and, sure enough, one week later Joseph came to her with good news.

hoping this continues...I wonder if the colony will be Nova Scotia, or further south so that there will be firther agricultural issues - OTL's New York or New England would certainly work, and seeing the Jews get to Manhattan before the Dutch...

Belvedere Castle, Kostantiniyye‎

Gracia Nasi looked beyond the balcony to see the flotilla leaving Kostantiniyye‎’s port. There were over a hundred ships, a litany of galleys, galiots, galleasses, carracks, carvels, and galleons flying the naval ensign of Sultan Suleiman. She could even see some the galleys flying the personal flag of Captain Sinan too, a six pointed star commonly referred to as the Seal of Solomon. It provided an extra touch of Jewish pride to an expedition Gracia was worried was veering away from its original goal.

While the Grand Vizer and Kapudan Pasha had affixed their seals of approval on the expedition to the West Indies, they had made it clear that the value of this mission was its military applications more than any potential Jewish settlement. Captain Sinan was given a large number of galleys along with the forces to man them, bolstered by one of the Kapudan Pasha’s own lieutenants, Captain Ali, who seemed more interested in plundering Spanish gold and silver than protecting a Jewish settlement.

The Imperial Government seemed markedly less interested in helping the Nasis acquire the settlers they desired for the mission. They were forced to rely on their own funds, which while extensive, were increasingly strained by the cost of recruiting and outfitting the expedition. In addition, while many of the Jews in Salonika, Kostantiniyye‎, and Izmir were supportive of the expedition, far fewer than expected volunteered for the long voyage. Only 1,500 Jews of the Turkish Empire agreed to join after months of effort.

The lucky break came when Joseph had successfully negotiated with the authorities in the Italian cities of Campagna, Pesaro, Ferrara and Florence to allow Jews to resettle and leave their lands. Joseph had to pay ransoms in many cases, and in others Gracia activated her networks to smuggle whole families into Kostantiniyye‎. Subtlety was of utmost importance, as if the Spaniards were to catch word of a Jewish-Turkish expedition west, any chance of getting through the Straits of Gibraltar unharmed would be lost.

In the end it had taken even further months, but the Italian refugees had been gathered and informed of the expedition. Some had opted to stay in Turkish lands, but many more decided to join the expedition, less sure of their place in an empire ruled by gentiles. 4,000 Jews ended up embarking on their voyage today, many of them farmers, fishermen, craftsmen, merchants, and their family members. To Gracia’s concern, they were significantly outnumbered by nearly 7,000 soldiers, sailors, and corsairs, mainly of Turkish, Arab and Berber extraction with far fewer of Captain Sinan’s Jewish crew aboard than she would have liked.

Still, they might pick up some more Jews on the way to further increase their numbers. Her nephew Samuel would help ensure the Nasi family would be represented in the new colony and help them keep informed the best he could, and Joseph had managed to get his trusted friend Joseph ben Aderet appointed ‘Governor of the West Indies’ by the Grand Vizier. Ben Aderet was a competent and able bureaucrat, exactly what they needed to get a colony off the ground, and provide the foundation for future expeditions.

As Gracia watched the flotilla depart across the Marmara Sea, she was approached by Joseph, seeming unusually sullen. “Do you think we made the right choice? Such an expedition has never been tried in our history, and if it fails, we will be dooming thousands.”

Gracia considered his words for a moment before responding. “We have been running and hiding for 1,400 years, always ending up slaughtered or exiled no matter where we went. It’s time we go to a place where we can build, grow, and make a new city for ourselves. Where future generations can live without fear of a gentile's sword.”

She gazed out to sea once more. “And one day, return to what was promised.”

Last edited:
Aren't the numbers too high? 7,000 soldiers and sailors on a single expedition across the Atlantic?
Let me provide some additional context for why the Ottomans said yes besides the Nasis being well connected. At this time the war in the Mediterranean between the Ottomans and the Spanish/Italian States was near it's zenith. While the Ottomans have the advantage as of this year, they are increasingly outgunned by Spain's ability to bankroll large fleet after large fleet with the gold and silver from the Americas. Eventually in OTL, this is one of the major reasons why the Holy League is able to defeat the Ottomans including at Lepanto and end Ottoman aspirations for dominance of the Mediterranean. The Spanish and Portuguese (Who while not being as involved in the wars for the Mediterranean still were pretty opposed to the Ottomans) control both the Straits of Gibraltar and the major ports around it. If they're able to sufficently prepare for an Ottoman incursion to the Atlantic, they could stop both the Jewish settlers and the navy/corsair vessels going as well.

Essentially, as Kapudan Pasha and Grand Vizer would view it to the best I've researched, this could be a credible shot at crippling the Spanish war effort and gaining dominance of the Mediterranean. But they might only have one shot to do it. So I researched what the size of the fleets that the Ottomans would send out to battle and created a smaller representation for this expedition (the fleet they sent out to the Battle of Djerba in 1560 was 86 galleys, with about 80-150 men to a galley, depending on the type, so I cut the size and took an average to calculate it) That's my thought process there.

EDIT: Oh and the nearly 7,000 number is including rowers (often slaves)

Are Jews from other parts of Europe and the Middle East gonna go to the Jewish American colony?
For the expedition that just departed, its unlikely any more Jews in Europe will join. Pretty much every non-French European port in the Mediterranean is deeply unfriendly to Ottoman flagged ships (and not for no reason, corsair raids were quite common at this point), so the expedition will only be stopping at friendly ports in the Maghreb before the Straits of Gibraltar. That being said, it is certainly possible for Jews in those ports to decide to join the expedition.

Dave Shoup

Banned
For the expedition that just departed, its unlikely any more Jews in Europe will join. Pretty much every non-French European port in the Mediterranean is deeply unfriendly to Ottoman flagged ships (and not for no reason, corsair raids were quite common at this point), so the expedition will only be stopping at friendly ports in the Maghreb before the Straits of Gibraltar. That being said, it is certainly possible for Jews in those ports to decide to join the expedition.

Very entertaining concept and beginning, but galleys and similar vessels in the North and/or Central Atlantic are going to be "lively" to say the least ...