King's Dominion: a Fractured North American Timeline

Chapter 1: Baltimore's Ambition
Hello hello! This is my first attempt at writing a timeline for this site, and it's one I'm quite excited for. This timeline explores a world where the 13 Colonies (or what few of them were around by 1700) never got the chance to form a common American identity and instead separated into three distinct, squabbling factions. What would these countries look like? What would their dynamics be with each other, the great powers of Europe, and the increasingly displaced Native Americans? And how radically different would a North America (and later, a world) without a United States look?

Well, before we can get to those questions, we have a big one to tackle first: how did British North America fracture? It'll take some time to answer this question, so without further ado, let's begin!

Chapter 1: Baltimore’s Ambition

The 1620s were rough for the Colony of Virginia. Though the colonists had learned to feed themselves and its tobacco industry was beginning to take shape, those were about the only things going well. They managed to enrage the Powhatan people so much that they stumbled into a second war less than a decade after the first had concluded and, much to the befuddlement of London, got slaughtered in the first couple of years. And that’s not even touching the financial and political mess the Virginia Company of London was in. By the middle of the decade, King James I was so fed up with the Company’s mismanagement that he dissolved the charter and declared Virginia a crown colony.

Virginia’s fortunes improved by 1630. The colony was heading for an uneasy peace with the Powhatan and the English Crown, now held by Charles I, managed the colony more competently than the old Company. Yet, Virginia was still lacking one thing: manpower. And not just slave labor. Land needed to be settled, estates had to be managed, logistics needed to be coordinated, coopers and artisans needed to support local agriculture, sailors had to fill the harbors, and much, much more. The Jamestown Massacre of 1622 kneecapped the colony’s early production, and it hadn’t recovered to Charles I’s liking.

Enter George Calvert, 1st Baron Baltimore. Lord Baltimore had made it his personal mission to create a safe haven for his fellow Catholics in the New World. His efforts were fruitless thus far, with the Colony of Avalon being abandoned and the settlers at Jamestown coolly rejecting his proposals. Even in his failing health, he was determined to fight on. He had the respect of the king and friends in his court. It was time to play hardball.

Lord Baltimore’s proposal was simple: permit the free practice of Catholicism in Virginia [1]. Baltimore’s argument was threefold: the moral duty to provide a safe haven to persecuted Catholics, the political benefit of drawing settlers away from rival Catholic kingdoms, and, most importantly, the influx of settlers would solve Virginia’s labor shortage.

Lord Baltimore’s request wouldn’t go unchallenged, however. A delegation of Virginians led by the colony’s most prominent [2] clergyman, Anthony Panton [3]. Panton had come prepared with a full-throated attack on Catholicism and a lecture on how a rigidly Anglican society in the New World would produce a more loyal and productive colony.

Panton’s arguments hit trouble before they even started. Upon entering Charles I’s court, the Virginian delegation was shocked to see Queen Henrietta Maria, a Catholic, seated beside the King as his advisor [4]. The Queen Consort was present at the request of Lord Baltimore, though she needed little persuading. Panton was forced to alter his prepared remarks on the fly so as to not offend the Queen. While he was a skilled orator, the impromptu changes made his speech far less effective than he wished.

The rest of the Virginian delegation’s arguments were similarly blunted. Representatives from the Colony’s Governor’s Council discussed the body’s previous pro-Anglican laws. They stressed the dangers of overturning the laws of the legislature. Charles, an absolute monarch, was not impressed by these arguments. Nor did he wish to give deference to the Virginian legislature when he was already locked in an escalating power struggle with his own legislature at home.

On April 8, 1632, Charles I issued the Declaration Concerning Religion in Virginia (often shortened to the Catholic Declaration). The Catholic Declaration allowed for the free practice of Catholicism, the establishment of Catholic churches, and prohibited discrimination against or harassment of Virginians for practicing Catholicism [5].

With his mission finally realized, Lord Baltimore was able to rest. His ailing health, age, and previous bouts with plague finally caught up with him, rendering him bedridden only a day after the Catholic Declaration was announced. On April 15, 1632, Lord George Calvert, 1st Baron Baltimore passed away in his home in London [6]. The next step, Catholic settlement of Virginia, was now left to his sons Cecil (now the new Lord Baltimore) and Leonard.

[1] POD – OTL, Lord Baltimore asked to split the territory north of the Potomac from Virginia, forming the Province of Maryland.

[2] According to Notes on the Virginia Colonial Clergy by Edward D. Neill (1877).

[3] OTL William Claiborne led the Virginian opposition to the establishment of Maryland, but that was based primarily on Virginia’s (and Claiborne’s personal) territorial claims to the northern Chesapeake Bay. Since TTL’s complaints are mostly religious, Panton leads the charge.

[4] OTL Charles I and Henrietta Maria were not close at the beginning of their marriage, but they grew inseparable by the 1630s. Consequently, Henrietta involved herself more and more in politics as Charles I’s advisor.

[5] Very similar to OTL’s Maryland Toleration Act, though TTL’s version is narrowed to protect Catholics and Anglicans, rather than Trinitarians as a whole. This notably excludes Puritans from protection.

[6] Lord Baltimore died on the same day OTL. However, the process of creating an entirely new charter took longer than TTL’s Catholic Declaration, so he died five weeks before his dream was achieved OTL.

Last edited:
Interesting. Looking forward to how American Catholicism evolves ITTL with a presumably stronger Catholic presence in the colonial era, and particularly in the South. Catholics weren't a big demographic in Anglo America (U.S. and Canada aside from Quebec) until the Irish Potato Famine IOTL, although we Papists did get a founding father (Charles Carroll).

On the other hand, it will make Charles even more unpopular back home, once this becomes known. England & Scotland were both heavily Protestant by this time IOTL, with strong anti-Catholicism already being a thing.

On the other hand, it will make Charles even more unpopular back home, once this becomes known. England & Scotland were both heavily Protestant by this time IOTL, with strong anti-Catholicism already being a thing.
Unless he starts deporting all the Catholics....

Cool concept. I like early America colonization PODs because it totally throws the 19th Century onward into unfamiliar territory. Looking forward to reading more!

If English history continues roughly similarly to OTL, I could see the Protectorate government doing mass deportations of both Catholics and Cavaliers to America as an expedient.

EDIT: Again, assuming English history in Europe roughly tracks OTL, having a higher population of English Catholics in Virginia could play a major role in the prosecution (or not) of colonial wars against France as well. It really will depend on whether the English Civil War happens and how the Protectorate and Restoration go ITTL. Fun!

Last edited:
This is good stuff. It's unfortunate that my beautiful home state of Maryland got removed in the first chapter though. Can't wait to see how this develops!

I am wondering what this means for Ireland? Would you see more Irish volunteering to immigrate to Virginia? Would the North Irish Protestants "encourage" Irish Catholics to immigrate as a form of ethnic cleansing?

Thanks for all the comments and support, everyone! I want to real quickly respond to folks before posting the next chapter.
This is good stuff. It's unfortunate that my beautiful home state of Maryland got removed in the first chapter though. Can't wait to see how this develops!
Thanks! Yeah Maryland is in a strange place where it's both gone and more important than OTL. It's an unfortunate but necessary sacrifice (or just the consequence of letting a Virginian write AH haha)
If Maryland doesn't exist, what will be of Delaware?
Ar least "Delmarva" wont be the name of the peninsula...
Delaware is still in play, depending on how quickly New Sweden and New Netherland scoop up the area. Fortunately TTL never has to experience the name Delmarva - I've always hated it. I'm tentatively calling it the Chesapeake Peninsula, but may ultimately go with something else.
If English history continues roughly similarly to OTL, I could see the Protectorate government doing mass deportations of both Catholics and Cavaliers to America as an expedient.

EDIT: Again, assuming English history in Europe roughly tracks OTL, having a higher population of English Catholics in Virginia could play a major role in the prosecution (or not) of colonial wars against France as well. It really will depend on whether the English Civil War happens and how the Protectorate and Restoration go ITTL. Fun!
I am wondering what this means for Ireland? Would you see more Irish volunteering to immigrate to Virginia? Would the North Irish Protestants "encourage" Irish Catholics to immigrate as a form of ethnic cleansing?
Virginia will definitely see a bigger Irish/Catholic diaspora after the ECW ITTL than Maryland did OTL. I might nab some of these ideas for how exactly that plays out.
interesting, but if the thirteen colonies don't stand together, will New France survive?
I'd expect a very different course through the 18th Century that likely precludes any British takeover of French America in total.
TTL's French & Indian War equivalent will certainly be different than OTL's, but we'll have to see if that's enough to save France from England's dominance in Europe.
Interesting. Looking forward to how American Catholicism evolves ITTL with a presumably stronger Catholic presence in the colonial era, and particularly in the South. Catholics weren't a big demographic in Anglo America (U.S. and Canada aside from Quebec) until the Irish Potato Famine IOTL, although we Papists did get a founding father (Charles Carroll).
Catholics as a bloc are definitely going to have an interesting time adjusting to this unfriendly new world, particularly as some of TTL's major events start happening. For the time being, the Stuarts are definitely going to have a rough go of it.
Cool concept. I like early America colonization PODs because it totally throws the 19th Century onward into unfamiliar territory. Looking forward to reading more!
I like this POD and look forward to seeing how it plays out.
Interesting start; waiting for more, of course...
Thanks! I was really interested in a divided America that completely avoids the Revolutionary War (not that I don't enjoy failed Revolution TLs), since this will hopefully give these future entities time to evolve more distinct identities.

Chapter 2: Interloper in Jamestown
Chapter 2: Interloper in Jamestown

With Cecil inheriting the title of Lord Baltimore, and thus the responsibilities of managing the estate in England, the responsibility of bringing Catholicism to Virginia fell to his brother, Leonard Calvert [1]. In addition, King Charles I appointed Leonard to the Governor’s Council to help represent the Colony’s new residents.

Leonard felt a wave of dread as he stepped onto the Ark in Gravesend harbor – not for the journey, nor the unfamiliar wilderness that awaited him. No, he dreaded one particular stop in his journey: Jamestown. From what his father had told him of the settlers at Jamestown, Calvert assumed he would be an unwelcome guest. Should the rest of the Governor’s Council even allow him to sit, he feared he would face political opposition at all times.

The Ark and Dove arrived near Jamestown in early-December 1633. The reception was as cold as Leonard Calvert had expected. What few people did show up to witness their arrival glowered with suspicion. Nevertheless, Calvert made a show of being cordial and authoritative, asking where he may meet the Governor. The locals’ expressions somehow got even cooler at the mention of the Governor, but Calvert pressed on and was eventually guided into the palisade. He was not thrilled to hear that the Virginians held government in an Anglican church.

Calvert felt his fortunes swiftly improve as he entered the church. There sat Governor John Harvey, who, while not exactly a pleasant man, was a fierce loyalist, much to Calvert’s delight. Harvey affirmed his commitment to uphold the King’s Catholic Declaration, regardless of his personal faith, and expressed his excitement at the 300-some settlers aboard the Ark and Dove. It seemed that, even if the mood in Jamestown was tense, the Catholic settlers (and the accompanying Protestants) would not be run out of the Colony.

The Ark and Dove stayed anchored near Jamestown for a couple of weeks while Calvert met with local officials and consulted local explorers on the lay of the land. Both his father and King Charles I had expressed interest in a settlement north of the Potomac River in order to discourage the Dutch from settling farther south. The locals seemed happy to hear that they wouldn’t be direct neighbors and were happy to point Calvert to a natural harbor at the mouth of the Potomac [2].

During this time, Calvert also met with Secretary of State William Claiborne, who boasted of his plans for an Atlantic trading empire, all of which started with the recently settled trading post on Kent Island in the Chesapeake Bay. Calvert explained where his party would be settling and remarked that Kent Island would be an invaluable resource for the new settlement. Calvert’s flattery greatly pleased Claiborne, who parted ways saying he looked forward to working with Calvert in the future. It seems he may have friends in Virginia after all [3].

On December 24, 1633, the Ark and Dove departed from Jamestown and made their way up the Chesapeake Bay to the site recommended site on the Potomac. They landed in the mid-afternoon, giving the new colonists time to gawk at their new home, set up rudimentary shelters, and, most importantly, erect a cross. That night, the Catholics among the settlers gathered to hold the first Catholic Midnight Mass in the British Colonies [4].

As the new year quickly approached, the colonists got to building their settlement, which was named St. Mary’s City in honor of Queen Henrietta Maria. Though the bulk of the settlers were actually Protestants, the wealthiest among them were all Catholic. Quickly, this Catholic elite settled into leadership positions in the city, with Leonard Calvert at the top. Upon the formation of the Marianus Shire [5], the Catholics of St. Mary’s City looked ready to dominate the shire’s administration, but Leonard stepped in to ensure that Kent Island had strong representation in order to stay on Claiborne’s good side.

Leonard Calvert’s first formal meeting of the Governor’s Council took place in the summer of 1634. On his way, he made a point of stopping by Kent Island to make a few unnecessary purchases, even though the island was out of his way, in the spirit of being a good neighbor.

The meeting was an eclectic gathering of Virginians. As expected, Governor Harvey and the Governor’s Council were present. However, also present were roughly two dozen men calling themselves the General Assembly. These men, elected from the various settlements dotting the James River, had been involved in the affairs of the Colony since 1619. Calvert vaguely recalled the King asking them to regulate the tobacco trade, but he was still unsure how legitimate the body was [6].

Governor Harvey acted as if he hadn’t heard of the Assembly at all. Spirited, in-depth debates on issues ranging from common defense to the locations of tobacco warehouses were often bluntly ignored by the Governor. Calvert suspected that the few proposals Harvey did engage with were ones he already liked. Even the advice of the Governor’s Council, which was royally appointed, frequently fell on deaf ears. From the bitter rumblings among the Assembly, Calvert surmised that such behavior was typical of Harvey.

“He’s a tyrant,” Thomas Paulette remarked one foggy morning four weeks into the six-week session. “I’ve been in the Assembly since the start, and Harvey’s been the nastiest governor of the lot. The man would let himself drown if we told him to swim” [7].

When the session finally ended, Leonard Calvert departed for St. Mary’s City with a mounting sense of dread. Harvey was probably the staunchest Protestant defender of the Catholic Declaration in the Colony, but he was also reviled (perhaps rightfully so) by most of the Colony’s political elite.

Though most of the Governor’s Council still looked at him with caution, Calvert managed to establish regular correspondence with them, as well as Secretary of State Claiborne, over the state of affairs in the Colony.

It was through these letters that Leonard Calvert learned of the coup being planned in Jamestown.

It was nothing violent (at least not at first), but word was that the General Assembly, led by prominent members of the Governor’s Council, planned to remove Governor Harvey in the Spring of 1635. The Assembly had no legal authority to do this, but that wasn’t going to stop them. And if Harvey refused to leave? Well, the local militias trusted the Assembly much better than they knew Harvey [8].

“I fear I have found myself in a quagmire with no safe exit,” Leonard wrote to Cecil Calvert, Lord Baltimore. “If I support the Assembly’s cause, I shall lose the most powerful advocate for Catholics in Virginia. However, should I support the Governor, I shall no doubt solidify myself – nay, all Catholics – as enemies of Virginian Protestants.”

Still weighing his options, Calvert set off for Jamestown in April. Fearing that the confrontation may get ugly (and not knowing the fate of Virginian Catholics should the Assembly prevail), he brought a small contingent of militiamen with him.

The situation was indeed ugly. By the time Calvert arrived, both Harvey and the anti-Harvey representatives of the Assembly had accused the other of treason. The two factions were currently at a brooding lull in their standoff. Harvey had retreated to his Boldrup Plantation near the tip of the peninsula. Nobody was sure if he had armed protection, and a few militiamen had joined the anti-Harvey faction since the Governor had fled.

Calvert’s arrival was met with suspicion, and not for the usual reasons. His personal guard matched the size of the fledgling anti-Harvey force and the Assembly, just like Calvert, had concluded that he had good reason to back either side of the coup.

John West, a leading anti-Harvey figure, was one of the first to approach Calvert, flanked by militiamen. He briefed Calvert on the state of the standoff and presented a simple question:

“What do you intend to do?”

Calvert, hoping he was making the right decision, stepped forward to speak. “When our late King, his majesty James I, declared Virginia a holding of the Crown, he did so not out of a desire to dominate us, but as a means of efficiency. The Virginia Company of London failed to run the Colony effectively, and thus no longer served the King. Though I have only worked with him for a year, I must declare that Governor Harvey likewise is no longer carrying out the will of King Charles I.”

A great sigh of relief sounded from the assembled masses as Calvert finished his declaration. John West shook Calvert’s hand with a wide grin and waved his men down to join them. St. Mary’s City was a friend of Jamestown, at least for now.

The final confrontation with Harvey was perhaps a bit anti-climactic. Though the Governor had a couple of armed men on his plantation, they quickly dropped their weapons when the saw the combined forces of Jamestown and Calvert’s men. Harvey himself put up no fight – not physically, at least. The now ex-governor swore up a storm as he was escorted from his home. He ranted and raved about conspiracies and how the King would have all of their heads.

Though Harvey’s threats did little to change the minds of the General Assembly, they did add a sense of urgency to the following negotiations. Everyone wanted him out of Virginia as soon as possible, but they knew it would be political suicide to send him home to England without representatives from Virginia to plead the Assembly’s case. Before they were ready to do that, they needed to decide who they wanted to be Governor in Harvey’s place.

Before negotiations began, John West was the leading candidate for Governor, but he was far from the only one. Burgess Thomas Paulette, Secretary of State William Claiborne, former Governor Francis Wyatt, and even the son of John Rolfe and Pocahontas, Thomas Rolfe (who wasn’t even on the continent at the time!) were among the names discussed [9].

Calvert was talked around where possible. Most of the Assembly was convinced he would nominate a Catholic, possibly himself. However, as the man who contributed a strong portion of the troops that captured Harvey, Calvert would inevitably get his time to speak.

Much to the Assembly’s surprise, Calvert proposed William Capps [10], a member of the Governor’s Council and devout Protestant. Capps was an Ancient Planter, one of the very first major landowners in the Colony, having arrived around 1609. He managed the Capps Point plantation on the Hampton River, which he had helped seize from the Powhatan. He served as an elected representative in the General Assembly before being appointed to the Governor’s Council in 1627. Most notably, he previously defied the orders of Governor Harvey, briefly leaving the Colony against the Governor’s wishes to directly carry out the will of the King.

Capps quickly proved to be a popular choice. His long history with the Colony gave him excellent knowledge of the tobacco trade and defense against the Powhatan, and his successful plantation proved his business acumen – all qualities which endeared him to the assemblymen most concerned with trade and stability. His stand against Harvey made him popular with the rebel leaders, but the fact that he did so in the name of the King helped ease fears that they’d all be hanged for treason. Calvert liked him for three simple reasons: he was loyal to the King (and thus would likely enforce the Catholic Declaration), he would keep the General Assembly from devolving into chaos again, and he’d have Calvert to thank for his rise to power.

After a long week of discussion, John West ultimately decided to give up the fight and threw his support behind William Capps. This dissolved any remaining disagreement among the Assembly, and within the day, a consensus formed around Capps. By that time next week, a ship would depart for London with two things: John Harvey and a delegation requesting that the next Governor of Virginia be William Capps [11].

[1] OTL Cecil served as Proprietor of Maryland, but never set foot in the colony. The governorship and guidance of the first settlers was left to Leonard.

[2] OTL Calvert’s visit to Jamestown was meant to ease tensions between the two colonies, as Virginians were furious to have lost their perceived rightful land north of the Potomac. I don’t know if any Virginians told them about the Chesapeake Bay, but it seemed like a nice detail to include ITTL while Leonard met the Governor’s Council.

[3] OTL Claiborne was a bitter enemy of the Calverts and later attempted to overthrow Leonard. This grudge was due to Leonard Calvert disbanding Claiborne’s Kent Island trading post, as the land had been granted to the Calverts as part of the Maryland Charter. Since there’s no Maryland ITTL, Claiborne keeps Kent Island and can profit from trade with the Catholics.

[4] TTL’s Ark and Dove arrive a few months earlier than OTL due to avoiding the timely charter-writing process involved in creating Maryland, leading to their first mass being on Christmas. They also arrive at the final site of their settlement, rather than Blackistone (now St. Clement’s) Island, due to the advice of the Virginians.

[5] Shires were a precursor to counties in colonial Virginia. Marianus comprises the territory that became part of Maryland in OTL. The name comes from Charles I’s proposed name for Maryland in OTL.

[6] Technically the whole of the group (the Governor, Council, and burgesses) constituted the General Assembly, but the body’s authority wasn’t formally acknowledged by the crown until 1642 (beyond a vague request to regulate the tobacco trade). Before then, whether or not the General Assembly had any authority was up to the whims of the Governor.

[7] Made-up quote, but it summarizes the general sentiment surrounding Harvey IOTL.

[8] This happened in OTL as well, though the exact details are fuzzy, so this version is dramatized.

[9] All names I had considered for TTL’s Governor, some more seriously than others.

[10] Unfortunately, the records on this guy are vague, particularly regarding his death. Some sources would have him dead in 1630, years before this point in the TL, while others claim he lived until the end of the 1630s. Obviously I’m going with the latter option here.

[11] After all of this drama, this looks like a small butterfly: replacing John West with William Capps. However, the important change isn’t Capps, it’s Leonard Calvert wedging himself into the middle of Virginian politics. If a Catholic-tolerant Virginia is going to have any meaningful effect on the course of the Colony, it first requires the Protestant population to not immediately drive the Catholics off the continent. Calvert’s role in deposing Harvey is a major step towards that.

Thanks for all the comments and support, everyone! I want to real quickly respond to folks before posting the next chapter.

Thanks! Yeah Maryland is in a strange place where it's both gone and more important than OTL. It's an unfortunate but necessary sacrifice (or just the consequence of letting a Virginian write AH haha)

Delaware is still in play, depending on how quickly New Sweden and New Netherland scoop up the area. Fortunately TTL never has to experience the name Delmarva - I've always hated it. I'm tentatively calling it the Chesapeake Peninsula, but may ultimately go with something else.

Virginia will definitely see a bigger Irish/Catholic diaspora after the ECW ITTL than Maryland did OTL. I might nab some of these ideas for how exactly that plays out.

TTL's French & Indian War equivalent will certainly be different than OTL's, but we'll have to see if that's enough to save France from England's dominance in Europe.

Catholics as a bloc are definitely going to have an interesting time adjusting to this unfriendly new world, particularly as some of TTL's major events start happening. For the time being, the Stuarts are definitely going to have a rough go of it.

Thanks! I was really interested in a divided America that completely avoids the Revolutionary War (not that I don't enjoy failed Revolution TLs), since this will hopefully give these future entities time to evolve more distinct identities.
Perhaps avoiding the collapse of Spain helps to avoid the domination of England.

I did some thinking over the weekend. My memory is that the French Canadians did not support the Continental Army invasion of Canada. They were willing to sell supplies, but no general uprising. My memory was that the British rule was not that harsh, while the New Englanders were very anti Catholics.

It will be interesting to see if the presence of American Catholics in the Continental Army and Congress would make a difference to the French Canadians.

I did some thinking over the weekend. My memory is that the French Canadians did not support the Continental Army invasion of Canada. They were willing to sell supplies, but no general uprising. My memory was that the British rule was not that harsh, while the New Englanders were very anti Catholics.

It will be interesting to see if the presence of American Catholics in the Continental Army and Congress would make a difference to the French Canadians.

Perhaps, but the invasion of Canada in 1776 was taken up by New England men. I'd bet that New England will be just as, if not even more, anti-Catholic in this TL as OTL.

Perhaps, but the invasion of Canada in 1776 was taken up by New England men. I'd bet that New England will be just as, if not even more, anti-Catholic in this TL as OTL.
While we won't see a traditional Continental Congress, the presence of Anglo Catholics will definitely affect the trajectory of TTL's Quebecois, as will the reaction of New England, which we'll explore in the next update!