King's Dominion: a Fractured North American Timeline

My theory is that everything will remain similar geopolitically uptill French and Indian Wars.
So Washington's, Especially George Washington will not be butterflied away.

Not sure how Georgie boy would be born in 1732 when the POD is in the early 1600s and butterflies abound. Certainly there will be Washingtons. Maybe even one named George in the mid-1700s, but he won't be our George.

I imagine that most Catholic immigrants ITTL will go to the Mid Atlantic or South, with New England remaining the overwhelmingly WASP society it was before the Potato Famine in our world. Instead of New England being plurality Catholic it'll be the Upper South that is.

Yeah, they are not going to be welcome in New England. Like, at all.

Obviously this is going to be subject to sooooooo many butterflies, but I am now imagining the Kennedy dynasty, but with some form of southern accent.
According to John Kennedy Toole (writer of Confederacy of Dunces and lifelong Louisianan), the accent that developed in the parts of New Orleans that received substantial Irish and Italian immigration is in fact remarkably like the northeastern accent (I think he specifically compares it to Brooklyn), so it could be that a south that attracts more immigrants has a much less noticeable accent.

I was gonna bring up the French, will a more divided Anglo-America lead to a surviving New France ITTL?
My question is would the Anglo-Protestant play up fighting the "evil French papists" as much with a large Anglo-Catholic population.

It wouldn't surprise me. And that would make the war interesting.

Probably something along the lines of "Papists. Papists everywhere."
Building Entertainment: The Animated Films of the Walt Disney Studio. Pixar  edition. Toy Story 2 – The Avocado

Papists, Papists Everywhere

I love the concept of a fractured America but love even more there being a far earlier POD where the colonies are changed around so that by the time OTL's American Revolution takes place, North America is almost unrecognizable. Will be watching this with anticipation.

can we get a map please ?
Sure can! I'll work on getting that made after next chapter, since it will go into some of the other New England colonies.
Wondering when the next update was--can't wait to see what comes next...

Wonder what the third faction will be, as we already see Virginia and New England...
I'm aiming for at least weekly updates, but occasionally life gets busy and I don't have the time/energy, so I can't promise I'll always stick to that. On the other hand, when I have enough time/energy/inspiration, updates will come faster (as we'll hopefully see this weekend!). As for the third faction, they'll be a bit of a latecomer, but probably won't be a shocking pick.
Great stuff. I wonder if the deep reaches of southern Virginia will still be settled by land-hungry Barbadian slave-lords, bringing a distinctly different model of plantation economy to the continent. However beeg VA becomes, at some point to the south there would presumably need to be a new colony set up with a more local government, especially to buffer against and dissuade Spanish expansion up the coast.

Northern expansion seems to have its upper limits as well, with Skanderborg being (for now) as far north as the Dominion can go, with Swedes on the coast. If the Northern War goes as OTL, the Dutch will soon supplant them, but what happens after that will very much depend how the Anglo-Dutch Wars proceed. The First almost certainly still happens at some point in the 1650s, but just how much circumstances change ITTL from the Civil War and what the settlement of the First Dutch War looks like greatly affects the trajectory and outcome of a Second Dutch War. Either New Netherland sticks around a while longer, or it’s supplanted roughly on schedule and New York (or it’s equivalent) becomes the “Third Faction” in English America.

If the English claim Dutch America roughly on-schedule, I wonder if it’s kept united rather than cleaving off New Jersey. With a more dominant Virginia to the south and an expanding Mass Bay to the north it could be tempting to have a strong middle.

I also wonder about the fate of Plymouth and Connecticut. Will they get absorbed by Mass Bay? Will the King (whoever it eventually is) have more interest in keeping New England divided since Mass Bay seems more rebellious earlier ITTL? Will New Englanders desire unity in the face of a large Anglican colony to their immediate south blocking expansion?

Loving the implications and possibilities of this timeline. Keep it up!
Thanks! I won't comment on your predictions too much so I don't spoil anything, but it's fun to see all this speculation! Regarding slavery in Virginia though, as much as I want to butterfly away a lot of that brutality, I don't think it's practical to stop it from taking root at this point. That being said, the political/cultural/religious changes in TTL's Virginia will certainly interact with the institution of slavery in some interesting ways (I hope).
Its Interesting how the North is Baptist (They descended from Puritans) while South is somewhat Catholic while in OTL is the reverse.
The North is Catholic while South is Baptist.
Isn't that a fairly modern thing?

IIRC, a large reason for so many Catholics in the north of the US is because of Irish, Italian, Polish etc. immigration from the mid 19th century onwards.

Meanwhile, the south was pretty Anglican originally.
Yes, its recent. But its still an Interesting observation.
If Cromwell invades Ireland on time, more Catholics may move into Virgina, ie, more Catholic Dixie.
Yeah, they are not going to be welcome in New England. Like, at all.

Obviously this is going to be subject to sooooooo many butterflies, but I am now imagining the Kennedy dynasty, but with some form of southern accent.
Don't forget the French Canadians!

It will be interesting to see how that conflict plays out here.
The irony of the Catholic/Baptist flip definitely wasn't lost on me - though originally I considered leaning into New England's Catholic population earlier. That said, in addition to the flip being funny, I think these religious roles will lead to more interesting futures for both regions.
My theory is that everything will remain similar geopolitically uptill French and Indian Wars.
So Washington's, Especially George Washington will not be butterflied away.
Not sure how Georgie boy would be born in 1732 when the POD is in the early 1600s and butterflies abound. Certainly there will be Washingtons. Maybe even one named George in the mid-1700s, but he won't be our George.
My current position is to go lighter on the butterflies in Europe, so there's definitely a chance we'll se an alternate F&I War. Our boy George is almost definitely butterflied, but with the Washingtons being a longstanding planter family, there's definitely chances for another Washington to rear their head in future politics.
According to John Kennedy Toole (writer of Confederacy of Dunces and lifelong Louisianan), the accent that developed in the parts of New Orleans that received substantial Irish and Italian immigration is in fact remarkably like the northeastern accent (I think he specifically compares it to Brooklyn), so it could be that a south that attracts more immigrants has a much less noticeable accent.
Neat! I'll have to steal some of this info for a culture-based chapter well down the road.
I was gonna bring up the French, will a more divided Anglo-America lead to a surviving New France ITTL?
My question is would the Anglo-Protestant play up fighting the "evil French papists" as much with a large Anglo-Catholic population.

It wouldn't surprise me. And that would make the war interesting.
Probably something along the lines of "Papists. Papists everywhere."
All I'll say is that, while France stands a much better chance than OTL, the volatile situations in North America and Europe leave their colonial fate far from settled.
I love the concept of a fractured America but love even more there being a far earlier POD where the colonies are changed around so that by the time OTL's American Revolution takes place, North America is almost unrecognizable. Will be watching this with anticipation.
Thanks! While I love revolutionary-era PODs, I wanted to see what I could do with a British North America that has no concept resembling the United Colonies/States. I hope you all will enjoy what this continent turns into!

Thanks! I won't comment on your predictions too much so I don't spoil anything, but it's fun to see all this speculation! Regarding slavery in Virginia though, as much as I want to butterfly away a lot of that brutality, I don't think it's practical to stop it from taking root at this point. That being said, the political/cultural/religious changes in TTL's Virginia will certainly interact with the institution of slavery in some interesting ways (I hope).

Oh for sure! VA slavery was also awful. I was more thinking of whether the more distinctly Caribbean sort of chattel slavery that seeds South Carolina will take root. The import slaves, work them till they die, import more slaves model contra the Tidewater slave-breeding model that develops by the mid-18th Century.

Honestly, if anything, I think New France and France's other colonies in the New World might be fare worse because of a very vehemently anti-Catholic New England wanting to remove Catholic presence at all costs, especially if the English capture Quebec in 1628 much like OTL.

Honestly, if anything, I think New France and France's other colonies in the New World might be fare worse because of a very vehemently anti-Catholic New England wanting to remove Catholic presence at all costs, especially if the English capture Quebec in 1628 much like OTL.

I think there will definitely be a series of "French and Indian Wars" through the early-18th Century just like OTL corresponding with European conflicts. I agree with your thinking that ITTL the conflicts will be even more ferocious than they already were OTL if the New Englanders feel like there's also an internal English Catholic threat to the south.

It makes sense that there will be fewer butterflies in Europe despite massive ones in America. It doesn't take many changes this early to totally remake the colonial history of the continent, but those changes would mostly not impact the geopolitical trends and themes in Europe. At least not for a while.

Oh for sure! VA slavery was also awful. I was more thinking of whether the more distinctly Caribbean sort of chattel slavery that seeds South Carolina will take root. The import slaves, work them till they die, import more slaves model contra the Tidewater slave-breeding model that develops by the mid-18th Century.
Ah, gotcha! The economic incentive is certainly there for brutal Caribbean-style slavery, buuuut it remains to be seen how much violence white Carolinians (or whatever polity they'll fall under ITTL) will be able to stomach in TTL's society, or if slave revolts will be more successful. I have the broad strokes of TTL's slavery politics down, but I'll definitely need to explore it in more detail once that region develops.

In that case I think something similar to OTL's ethnic cleansing of the Acadians but on a much larger scale is unfortunately possible ITTL.

In that case I think something similar to OTL's ethnic cleansing of the Acadians but on a much larger scale is unfortunately possible ITTL.
I was just going to comment the anti-Catholic sentiment can't really get worse than OTL and bring up the Acadians.

What is possible to carry out may get much more though.

Last edited: