Kentucky Fried Politics: A Colonel Sanders Timeline

I love this timeline - currently in the process of reading through it for the third time. You did a fantastic job putting together this exciting alternate universe, over the course of seven decades!

That being said, I have noticed an inconsistency from the late-60’s section that needs to be corrected. I saw that you had Congresswoman Coya Knutson being elected as Minnesota Governor in 1966, but a couple of the “news articles” from 1968 and 1969 still mention her as being in Congress at the time. (I’m not the only one who’s noticed this - it got a mention under the “Continuity Snarl” trope on the TV Tropes page!)

I’m sure it’s probably just a simple oversight - I know that from later references, such as the many subsequent “lists of leaders” sections, it was pretty clear that ITTL, she was governor from 1967-1975. That being said, would you mind correcting the discrepancy whenever you find the time to do so? It shouldn’t take long - just go back to the relevant posts and edit the references to Congresswoman or Rep. Coya Knutson to read “Governor” instead. Thanks!

I'm imagining Santa Claus becoming Mayor of North Pole, then elected to the U.S. House in the August 2022 special election, then to the U.S. Senate in a five-party race (making it to the runoff and winning in a landslide) in November 2022, and then President of the United States in 2024 as an Independent.

Last edited:
I'm imagining Santa Claus becoming Mayor of North Pole, then elected to the U.S. House in the August 2022 special election, then to the U.S. Senate in a five-party race (making it to the runoff and winning in a landslide) in November 2022, and then President of the United States in 2024 as an Independent.
Given he backed Bernie Sanders, I don't see him trying to challenge Charlotte Pritt to be honest.

With the Supreme Court now debating ISL theory, is it anywhere near as prominent in the KFP universe? Or is it locked in the basements of the Federalist Society's headquarters where it belongs?

Here's another bizzare figure I'll ask about: Andrew Basiago. Andrew Basiago is a perennial candidate who has run for president multiple times, all while claiming he is a time traveler.
Wonder what kinds of claims he'd be making here.

Here's another bizzare figure I'll ask about: Andrew Basiago. Andrew Basiago is a perennial candidate who has run for president multiple times, all while claiming he is a time traveler.
Wonder what kinds of claims he'd be making here.
He seems like a cool dude.

Rereading through the thread, I'm taking a guess as I to what would probably be popular alternate history scenarios here:

Jack Kennedy becoming president (either in 1960 or 1968)
No Salad Oil Recession
Cuba War going differently
Mario Biaggi becoming president (especially since there are so many times to choose from)
Colonel Sanders doesn't run for a second term
Ray Kroc becoming president (a lot of these scenarios would likely have Kroc win the election for governor of California)
Lee Iacocca not getting assassinated (and subsequently, how the second Korean War would have been under him)
The Soviet government isn't overthrown
Harley Sanders becoming president (if it's common knowledge that he was considered for Vice President after Lamar Alexander had to resign, a fair amount of people would probably use that)
Lamar Alexander becoming President (it's said that people believe he could have rode his scandal and become president when Denton resigned)
Jack Kemp gets the Republican nomination (likely also gets a second term in these scenarios)
Mike Gravel becomes president (most of these scenarios likely involve him beating Scoop Jackson for the nomination)
LBJ gets a second term (I'd imagine a fair few of these scenarios would just straight up involve The Colonel deciding not to run)
Alternate first female presidents (Eunice Kennedy-Shriver and Maureen Reagan would probably be popular people to use for this)

Last edited:
A couple more questions for @gap80
1. The Cuban War was implied in one chapter to have 40,000 American DEATHS. I don't see how Castro and Co. can inflict that many casualties on US troops without American generals eating rocks for breakfast. The Cuban War is not Vietnam, as the major powers that can support Cuba would be interdicted by an American blockade (Soviet power projection through their navy was dismal in 1960). Wouldn't the death count be closer to 10,000 troops with 30,000 wounded?
2. What happened to the Cuban Mafia after the end of communist resistance? Did they reestablish themselves in Cuba, or did the postwar government tell them to off themselves?
3. How does Tumbleweed TV maintain its funding? IOTL Al Gore wanted to create a progressive counterpart to FOX News but found that it would be impossible without corporate funding that progressivism wouldn’t obtain.

Last edited:
A couple more questions for @gap80
1. The Cuban War was implied in one chapter to have 40,000 American DEATHS. I don't see how Castro and Co. can inflict that many casualties on US troops without American generals eating rocks for breakfast. The Cuban War is not Vietnam, as the major powers that can support Cuba would be interdicted by an American blockade (Soviet power projection through their navy was dismal in 1960). Wouldn't the death count be closer to 10,000 troops with 30,000 wounded?
2. What happened to the Cuban Mafia after the end of communist resistance? Did they reestablish themselves in Cuba, or did the postwar government tell them to off themselves?
3. How does Tumbleweed TV maintain its funding? IOTL Al Gore wanted to create a progressive counterpart to FOX News but found that it would be impossible without corporate funding that progressivism wouldn’t obtain.
1. Huh, I don't recall where I wrote that. Well, if it's unrealistically high, I guess I should switch 'em out for your numbers, if you don't mind.
2. I'm not sure. Since their dominance on the island at least partly if not mainly led to the revolution in the first place, I feel like they'd either lay low for a while or the post-Castro leaders would do everything they can to go after them or least keep them in line. Either way they'd probably be an issue but still be less powerful than they were in the 1950s.
3. Surely progressive organizations and companies founded with left-wing mindsets can raise funds without corporate sponsors...right?