Julian the Apostate resettles Salian Franks in Britain

The subsequent "insolent" settlement of the Salians within Roman territory in Toxandria (between the Meuse and the Scheldt rivers in theNetherlands and Belgium) was rejected by the future Roman EmperorJulian the Apostate, who attacked them. The Salians surrendered to him in 358 AD and accepted Roman terms.[9] According to Zosimus, when the Salians in Batavia came under attack from Saxons, who were this time raiding Romans (and the Salians) from the sea, Julian took the opportunity to peacefully allow the Salii to settle in Toxandria, where they had previously been expelled:

Considering that the Franks surrendered in Roman terms, what if Julian the Apostate decides to send the survivors to boost up Roman defenses in the island? Perhaps along the Saxon Shore or in Hadrian's Wall?

gaijin

Banned
God I hope not, then again as a southern Dutchman I have Frankish ancestry (which may partially change due to Roman Settlement, so this will be an ATL anyway), and Frank means brave BTW so it could be worse.

Really?? Where are you from if I mag ask??
Im from South Limburg so probably Frankish ancetry with a smithering of Celtic in between (whatever Caesar left alive of the Eburoni.)

Really?? Where are you from if I mag ask??
Im from South Limburg so probably Frankish ancetry with a smithering of Celtic in between (whatever Caesar left alive of the Eburoni.)

I'm from Brabant, so Frankish, Celtic and some part Celtic-Germanic predecessors (my ancestors are also from the Polders in the south (former duchy of Brabant and county of Flanders, though that was still in the middle ages)).

*wonders at the possibilities of Britain evolving into even more of a Japan analogue with an alt-Meroving 'Emperor' and Karling 'Shoguns'*

Though considering the brutality of some events, there is bound to be someone being sick in them

I can remember reading that there were a limited number of Franks with the migration.
Also considering the Belgae were on both sides of the channel, it good just end up being easy integration.
The Jutes after all a North Germanic people and their Norse dialect had little to no major influence apart from the creole dialect of Kentish.
Depending on exact dates and the numbers of Franks, more then likely in my mind it will just mean the same Old English (virtually).
The naming of everything will only depend on which kingdom becomes dominate like Mercia in otl who were from Angle (per descendent)

Though considering the brutality of some events, there is bound to be someone being sick in them

I can remember reading that there were a limited number of Franks with the migration.
Also considering the Belgae were on both sides of the channel, it good just end up being easy integration.
The Jutes after all a North Germanic people and their Norse dialect had little to no major influence apart from the creole dialect of Kentish.
Depending on exact dates and the numbers of Franks, more then likely in my mind it will just mean the same Old English (virtually).
The naming of everything will only depend on which kingdom becomes dominate like Mercia in otl who were from Angle (per descendent)

Nitpick. The Jutes were not North Germanic.

Back to the OP. more Franks on the northern/western side of the Channel could encourage more to come over and might stop Saxon movement over making a Britain with Frankish south and Anglian north and a truly Saxon shore on the continent.

The Romans are going to have a problem on the Rhine since the franks were heavily used to defend against raids and invasions there and allowed Roman soldiers to be diverted elsewhere.

If the emperor has the ability to resettle the Franks in such a manner,couldn't he have them dispersed and then have them assimilated?

If the emperor has the ability to resettle the Franks in such a manner,couldn't he have them dispersed and then have them assimilated?
Presumably the reason for sending them to Britain would be to protect the British coast. That's not very effective if he's splitting them up.

Also, one thing I just realized is resetting them in britain is going to pose a logistical challenge that letting them remain settled where they were was not.

Presumably the reason for sending them to Britain would be to protect the British coast. That's not very effective if he's splitting them up.

Also, one thing I just realized is resetting them in britain is going to pose a logistical challenge that letting them remain settled where they were was not.
He can split them up and organize the men into auxiliary units under the direct command of Roman officers.

He can split them up and organize the men into auxiliary units under the direct command of Roman officers.
Were they weak enough to allow that to happen? Its one thing to tell them you're giving them land, another to split them up. That will require a few more campaigns methinks.

Were they weak enough to allow that to happen? Its one thing to tell them you're giving them land, another to split them up. That will require a few more campaigns methinks.
If they are weak enough to be sent in bulk to Britannia,I think they are weak enough to be split up and organized into auxiliary units under the direct command of Roman officers.