I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but could the downballot effects of Carter doing much better lead to Barry Goldwater narrowly getting defeated in the Arizona senate race? Considering how close Goldwater's win was in a great year for Republicans OTL

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but could the downballot effects of Carter doing much better lead to Barry Goldwater narrowly getting defeated in the Arizona senate race? Considering how close Goldwater's win was in a great year for Republicans OTL
I think so, yes. Also consider that without an early Carter concession, some of the Democrats in the west may survive, as Democrats don’t leave the polls early (Frank Church).

Last edited:
This is the list of Close 1980 Senate Races:

StateParty of winnerMargin
North CarolinaRepublican (flip)0.58%
IdahoRepublican (flip)0.97%
ArizonaRepublican1.08%
VermontDemocratic1.32%
New YorkRepublican1.34% [c]
ColoradoDemocratic1.64%
GeorgiaRepublican (flip)1.74%
WisconsinRepublican (flip)1.85%
PennsylvaniaRepublican2.44%
AlabamaRepublican (flip)3.10%
FloridaRepublican (flip)3.32%
New HampshireRepublican (flip)4.29%
MissouriDemocratic4.33%
IndianaRepublican (flip)7.58%
AlaskaRepublican (flip)7.75%
IowaRepublican (flip)7.95%
OregonRepublican8.10%
WashingtonRepublican (flip)8.35%
OklahomaRepublican9.92%

Reckon Church, Talmadge, and Nelson get back in to office.

Morgan survives in NC too, I think. As well, Flaherty may beat Spector in PA, Holtzman could beat D'Amato in NY, and Folsom beats Denton in AL. If I did the counting correctly, and assuming a 2% uniform swing of R to D from OTL (questionable), The R+12 wave seen in OTL becomes just R+3.

ArizonaRepublican1.08%
VermontDemocratic1.32%
ColoradoDemocratic1.64%
MissouriDemocratic4.33%
OregonRepublican8.10%
OklahomaRepublican9.92%

It would be thematically appropritate to have Goldwater lose re-election.

Deleted member 145219

ArizonaRepublican1.08%
VermontDemocratic1.32%
ColoradoDemocratic1.64%
MissouriDemocratic4.33%
OregonRepublican8.10%
OklahomaRepublican9.92%

I think someone, maybe James Baker, said that, "If we knew we were going to win the Senate, we would have nominated actual people." I didn't realize how many close Senate races there were in 1980. I knew there were several in 1974 and 1986, which is the same class. So it looks like the Democrats in ATL could hold North Carolina, Idaho, Alabama, Florida, New Hampshire, Georgia, and Wisconsin. And flip Pennsylvania, and Arizona. So that's nine more Democratic Senators in 1981/1982 potentially.

I'm thinking that Reagan/Kemp is really walking into a thumping in the general election cycle. Carter needs to have a really strong Convention and Debate Performance. Pulling off an October Surprise in getting the Hostages released would be the cherry on top. And political payback for Nixon's shenanigans in 1968.

Does this make sense? nope. Am I going to post it anyways? yep.
Reagan_Wars.png

ArizonaRepublican1.08%
VermontDemocratic1.32%
ColoradoDemocratic1.64%
MissouriDemocratic4.33%
OregonRepublican8.10%
OklahomaRepublican9.92%

Maybe butterflies cause Talmadge to lose the Democratic primary to Zell Miller first. It was held on August 26.

Also, the results depend on how big Carter's win is, how well down-ballot Democrats do in general, and whether @Vidal will allow all local circumstances to remain the same or if he will move some races towards the Democrats with the hope of helping Jimmy during his second term, or some towards the Republicans for fairness purposes.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I've been quite busy (summer usually is for me as I like to take advantage of my weekends and head to the beach), so I haven't really had time to sit down and read through all of these, but the community of this timeline is what makes it so fun -- which is why I couldn't keep it bottled up in the Villa for too long. So, thanks to everyone who is sharing comments here. I wanted to respond to a smattering of them:

Hi, so I've been...mostly following this story from afar? I've been casting the occasional eye over it and really enjoying what I've read thus far. I've always felt really bad for the crop of candidates in the seventies like Carter and McGovern and to a lesser extent Muskie who probably would have made good to great Presidents (And in the case of Carter, one who got handed a phenomenally bad wrap and was not in office when some of those supposed 'failures' started to actually pay dividends) had it not been for a cultural shift to the right driven by a good deal of disgust for what the sixties had turned out, plus their own flaws and foibles and sometimes their own morality were used against them.

I agree, and I think it's fun that so many of us on these boards have picked up the mantle and done the work of showing the "What-ifs" behind these ill-fated candidacies.

So far you've portrayed a pretty interesting figure in Carter (Though while that big speech of his works well on the me who has witnessed problems with civic duty and community in his own country, I imagine that I were living in the eighties I'd probably be a lot less willing to give Carter the benefit of the doubt. Such is the folly of not knowing what would have lied ahead, eh?) and the ins and outs of his administration are really interesting. The public view of the Carter administration and to a lesser extent the Ford one is far overshadowed by the two big GOP ones that wedges the two together, so it's nice to learn about the clashes of personality here.

Thank you! That is high praise. I think my only comment about the speech is just to emphasize that Carter really did receive a bump from it IOTL. Overnight polling was favorable for him. People appreciated his honesty and while EMK saw it as preachy and beneath the office of the presidency (which inspired his decision to primary Carter), most Americans were relieved to have a president willing to level them. Then, he looked like a bumbling mess when he fired his whole cabinet afterwards.

One of the harder things to trace here, but I hope to do so over time, is the real cultural change in Americans' attitudes toward their government. That is probably the biggest effect of a Carter presidency/no Reagan. The idea that the government is not the solution was not yet in vogue so firmly, even if it was gaining steam pre-Reagan. So a president who can restore that trust in Watergate instead of validating the distrust has big ramifications for our electorate.

Sure, I can stick in a paragraph during the '92 election about a poll that says Americans trust their government, but I'd really love to be able to show it in later chapters through the writing and scenarios.

Jack Kemp becoming Vice President is interesting....equally as interesting is the fact that on the campaign trail both Carter and Reagan condemned the Proposition 6 initiative....and Kemp has that homosexual stuff hanging over him (Which this is the first time I've ever heard of it, that's really interesting) I don't want to suggest that there might be some rumours flying around about the GOP's VP but it is interesting to consider that Stone might really have miscalculated this.

I knew of the rumors, but it was the recent publication of Secret City that made me take a second look. It was included in the story already, but the next few chapters underwent a bit of a revision based on just how prevalent the story was. You can read this POLITICO excerpt for a general sense of where things may be headed in the general election campaign: https://www.politico.com/news/magaz...a-conspiracy-reagan-kirchick-excerpt-00035193

With how much screentime Connally got, I’m surprised that Reagan still won like OTL. Still, makes sense though considering the circumstances.

Connally is just a hell of a lot of fun to write, to be honest, and his performing better enough is really all I needed to make Reagan weaker heading into the general election. As I've said, part of the fun of this is Carter holding the sword when Reagan goes down.

You scared me for a second there. Thought we were gonna end up with Vice President Donald Rumsfeld.

Wasn't Reagan's vice presidential selection process wild? I mean, it hems pretty closely to how it did IOTL with the exception that because Bush took the fight to the Convention, they refuse to seriously consider him for the bottom spot on the ticket. The conversation in which someone goes "Well, I have Rumsfeld's number..." is pretty much OTL. Plenty of dystopian TLs on here have toyed with the idea that Reagan picks Rumsfeld and then Hinckley gets better aim.

Also: what now becomes of John Anderson?

Connally's prevalence and Bush's performance keep the Anderson voters behind Bush to the extent he doesn't really take off in the primaries and so there's no independent candidacy to build in the aftermath.

This was fantastic.

My favourite part is how You nailed the character of the hard right Reagan delegates. These people are, frankly, fucking crazy. You’ll never meet a bigger person with a victim complex than a Hard right republican politician from the 60s and 70s. The sheer maniacal faith in their cause and desire to rip the country kicking and screaming into a nice, dreamy little evangelical wonder land. They had eight years to stomp on the face of this country- this time, they’ll get the smack they deserve.

Avoiding a word with a particular connotation, I would definitely say they are passionate -- and that's one influence of Perlstein's writing here. To trace it all back to Goldwater, I knew that and I think most lay observers understand. What I loved about Before The Storm is how he goes back further to the Taft nomination fight, which I'm not saying is especially brilliant or unique to him but rather it's just where I first read about it. There really was a concerted feeling that they'd been robbed before -- and they weren't going to let it happen again.

The whole fight is sort of meant to resemble the 1968 Convention, where Rockefeller and Reagan had an unholy alliance meant to take down Nixon, but even if it had succeeded in denying Nixon the nomination on the first ballot, the Reagan people feared a Rocky nomination too much and the Rocky people hated Reagan too much to allow anyone else to emerge as a compromise candidate. By 1980, ITTL, Reagan is the standard bearer and the compromise choice.

Wow.

Great update. To me, the Reagan Ford proposed Co-Presidency is just a wild story. At least it wasn't a Reagan/Rumsfeld ticket.

It really is one of the most bizarre parts of our political history in modern times. I recommend Craig Shirley's book Rendezvous with Destiny, which (when combined with Reaganland) provides the best account. Shirley loves Reagan and sometimes the prose is a bit too glowing but when you read through that, there's a lot of access to the inside account which proves useful.

I stand in awe of your ability to write a compelling political convention. I'm comparing it to my attempt to write the same convention, and mine pales in comparison. (The SI wasn't as privy to the details, following them in a SWISS newspaper, but even if I had been focused on the con, I could come nowhere near the masterful writing you presented.)
I also had Reagan end up with Jack Kemp as his running mate. That makes me feel good, that I chose the same candidate that a master of politics chose.
I'll be watching to see how many similarities there are between now and November.. (Reagan got blown away in my timeline, aided by Carter Republicans. Granted, due to the succerss of Eagle Claw, and a terrorist attack with more casualties than OTL's 9/11, a thawing of relations with the USSR, Carter was in strong position that he's not here. (Advice from the future can help, even if you don't KNOW it's from the future.)

You're too kind. I think there's a big difference in style and motive between our efforts -- the ASB elements of time travel just naturally invoke a different feel. One is not better than the other, and I'm glad to have your presence in this thread, and I've enjoyed our private conversations.

@Vidal: Have you ever considered formally publishing a TL as a novel? Your writing is better than that of Jeff Greenfield.

This is really kind, thank you! I think Greenfield's stature gets him into a publishing room that I can't, but who knows...

This chapter could’ve been it’s own timeline itself - Jerry Two.

I don't think I have a full Ford second term TL in me -- it's too good and too juicy to take up in earnest after this effort -- but I would love to write a narrow short TL focused on the Panama Canal Treaty fight in a Ford Wins 76 universe as I think that would prove one of the more interesting episodes and it's a fight that really intrigues me as an "alternate historian."

In recent years, I've actually moved away from the idea of elections that are poisoned chalices. Part of it is having greater knowledge of the actual winners and the mistakes that they made. And with knowing the medium to long term impacts (if any) that parties have felt after winning one of these alleged poisoned chalice elections.

I agree with this (but also don't totally agree). I think the careful person around these parts can craft a convincing tale in which a typically-poisoned chalice election doesn't end up being one, but I also think if you could objectively run the scenario 100 times, some elections would pretty much always end up that way. I would say something like 2004 was probably more of a poisoned chalice than '76 in that Carter really aggravated his own party and gave up some areas that could have helped in a reelection for various reasons.

Side note. I thought Kemp would make a appearance, but not as Reagan's running mate. I believe that Kemp easily could have been realigning President that Reagan was, had the Reagan revolution not occurred.

I think he could have been, too, and probably in a "kinder, gentler" way...

These few passages really give the entirety of Then Everything Changed a run for its money.

Thank you; this is very kind!

There will definitely be down ballot repercussions. As mentioned, Carter will obviously not be conceding early ITTL, and as @THE OBSERVER points out, there were a large number of incredibly close Senate races in 1980.

6. President Carter, survives an attempt on his life in March of 1981 by John Hinckley. Fortunately for Carter, he isn't even hit and the new story is largely forgotten. Except on Alternate History.
Hinckley had been following Carter to campaign events prior to his Nashville arrest. Maybe he shoots Carter and gives him a sympathy bump in the polls?

Hinckley had been following Carter to campaign events prior to his Nashville arrest. Maybe he shoots Carter and gives him a sympathy bump in the polls?
That's what Vidal hinted at in an earlier post, when he mentioned Hinckley didn't target Carter because he thought he'd lose, but left to wonder if that changed. I'd bet on that for an October surprise.

I wonder what role will CNN and its founder, Georgian and friend of President Carter, Ted Turner, play in the timeline?

Last edited:
I went to look at the title card again.

The bolded text is a conclusion I've come to as well about Carter. And I think Bill Clinton had that problem too in 1993 - 1994. When Carter mentioned a "Southern Governor," in his Crisis of Confidence Speech, the person he was talking about was Clinton.

I also agree with whomever suggested that Jack Watson should have been Chief of Staff and that Hamilton Jordan should have remained a political guy. Chris Matthews wrote in Tip and the Gipper that Speaker O'Neill had a pretty crude nickname for Jordan.
Could Carter have been persuaded to support Abel Muzorewa? He being a Bishop, it always surprised me, Mugabe pulled the will over Carter's eyes.

I wonder, since Carter will win a second term in this timeline, I wonder where the Democratic Party will go next with Carter's legacy not being so dismal. Carter wasn't a liberal like Ted Kennedy, but he wasn't as much of a centrist as Bill Clinton would later be. Perhaps butterflying Reagan also butterflies the New Democrats?

I wonder, since Carter will win a second term in this timeline, I wonder where the Democratic Party will go next with Carter's legacy not being so dismal. Carter wasn't a liberal like Ted Kennedy, but he wasn't as much of a centrist as Bill Clinton would later be. Perhaps butterflying Reagan also butterflies the New Democrats?
If the Democrats go liberal or are at least perceived as going liberal in 1984 with Mondale and 1988 with Dukakis for instance and fail that could cement the party's approach as pro-southern moderate even more so that in OTL with two victories to point to. Gore '92, a moderate southerner with a social conservative streak (see Gore '88)? Assuming his election isn't butterflied.

Inasmuch as a second Carter term is an inherently enticing and fascinating prospect, I think I'm especially interested to see how he'll handle the AIDS epidemic.