Jane Seymour does not die in childbirth

If memory serves me well, Jane had something to say about the religious reform that Henry VIII was carrying out. Henry didn't like her intervention and reminded her what had happened to his previous wife for being too independent, so to speak, cutting her short. Basically, Henry VIII would keep her quiet (or else). She only became some kind of a myth for Henry after her dead and quite some time after her death.

So, her role if she survived? Some kind of figurehead, perhaps having some influence in advancing her family and rising his son, but, overall, she had little to say.

Keeping in mind Henry'age and physical degradation, perhaps he manage to have two more sons/daughters with her, further reinforcing the succession in case that Edward VI ends as IOTL,

Not really, the thing that made Henry remind her about Anne's fate was the Pilgrimage of Grace, which is only partly because of religious reform, and her trying to convince him to restore Mary's legitimacy.

The truth is we don't know what could have happened had Jane survived to have more heirs.

which she isn't. But, in trying to force the French to uphold the treaty of Rouen, he could approach his uncle about a match, only to find that his uncle won't let him out when the French do agree for Madeleine
I am pretty sure Henry would accept a daughter as queen of Scotland if the alternative was a French queen (especially as he has multiple surviving sons ITTL so her chances of inheriting England is lower)

Except Marie de Guise is alive and well ITTL so James isn’t free to marry Mary

also I honestly can’t seen Jane being a pushover here especially since she has several sons, whereas IOTL the dormouse attitude was most likely just a ruse to keep Henry placated until she gives him what he wants and she can assert herself more as the mother of the cherished heir

Possible family tree?

Henry VIII m. Jane Seymour

1. Edward VI (1537-1553) never married and no issue
2. Henry IX (1539-1598) m. Elisabeth of Valois (1545-1568) with female issue (a) Anna of Austria (1549-1580) (b) with issue
3. Thomas (1541-1600) m. Mary Queen of Scots (1542-1597) with issue

She nearly did IOTL, with Philip of Bavaria...

Philip of Bavaria was only ever on Mary's radar as Henry wanted to maintain Protestant alliance, which won't happen in a world where Jane lives. Henry will allow Mary to marry, but NOT Beja, he is far too low-ranked for a legitimate princess who ISN'T queen. Elizabeth will be unlikely to make domestic match in a world where Philip II of Spain is an option for her
Yes, but however fond Jane is of Mary, Henry isn't going to allow her to persuade him to make Mary legitimate again. He's too proud to go back on himself like that. Restore her to the succession, yes. Make her legitimate? No. Which means Beja is more than plausible, if the Portuguese will allow their second Prince to marry a legal bastard. Otherwise, a English Catholic is likely. Maybe Charles Blount, 4th Baron Mountjoy, if his wife dies TTL. The Blounts were rich, well-connected, Catholic and high-ranking enough to be an acceptable match for the King's natural daughter :) Failing that, Edward Clinton, Earl of Lincoln could work nicely.

Who would be the mistress? Presumably Anne of Cleves is out as he would pick someone local. One of the final two wives OTL? Someone else? I can see him becoming smitten with Catherine Howard and then getting rid of her when she starts fooling around as IOTL.

Of course I can imagine Jane retaliating with "you fool around with her I'm going to pressure my kids to convert to Catholicism. Nice Protestant heir you've got there, shame if something went wrong there..."
Catherine Howard might not fool around TTL. A mistress doesn't have the pressures of a Queen. Besides, Henry will tire of her within a year or two - she's not intelligent enough to hold his interest, I don't think, so she could well end up with a pretty dowry as a kind of 'goodbye' present in 1542 or thereabouts and end up marrying, maybe even to Culpepper.

I think in this case Mary would likely be restored to the line of succession and probably allowed to marry, given as she and her line are no threat to Edward and any siblings he may have - Elizabeth is another story.

Also, count on Henry to get bored of Jane and probably take a mistress.
Elizabeth is even less of a threat to Edward's line than Mary. If Mary's marrying, then so is she - especially with a more stable childhood not putting her off the institution of marriage for life. I suspect she'd get to marry Robert Dudley here (Edward would totally let her, especially if she's just his bastard half-sister and not his potential heiress...)

Since Mary and Beja was considered a option in this TL, I figured why not.
Mary Tudor b 1516 d 1560 m Luis, Duke of Beja b 1506 d 1555
Issue:

-Manuel II of Portugal b 1542
-Catherine of Portugal, Queen of Spain b 1543
-Infante Henrique b 1545
-Infanta Maria, Queen of France b 1548
-Infanta Leonor b 1550 m?
-Infante Fernando b 1552

Last edited:
Elizabeth is even less of a threat to Edward's line than Mary. If Mary's marrying, then so is she - especially with a more stable childhood not putting her off the institution of marriage for life. I suspect she'd get to marry Robert Dudley here (Edward would totally let her, especially if she's just his bastard half-sister and not his potential heiress...)
It’s not that Elizabeth is a threat but more that she will not be restored to the line of succession

Issue:

-Infante Henrique b 1545
-Infante Fernando b 1552
I love it!

I love it!

Thanks, I wanted Mary to be happy and have her children continue to flourish.

Manuel becomes king when Sebastian goes as otl without heirs in 1578.

Catherine marries the future Philip III of Spain b 1547, the son of Philip II and Maria of Viseu who he marries a year after Maria Manuelas death in 1545. Don Carlos dies at age 14 from malaria.

Maria marries Charles IX of France b 1550 and the Valois dynasty does not die out.

I don't know who Leonor marries.

Issue:

-Infante Henrique b 1545
-Infante Fernando b 1552
Catherine marries the future Philip III of Spain b 1547, the son of Philip II and Maria of Viseu who he marries a year after Maria Manuelas death in 1545. Don Carlos dies at age 14 from malaria.
If Felipe II is already married and Don Carlos is dead, what is the marriage concluded for the Peace of Cateau-Cambrésis?

Maria marries Charles IX of France b 1550 and the Valois dynasty does not die out.
If Charles IX has a legitimate son, his younger brother Henri never becomes king of France. Does he still become king of Poland? If so, he would stay there which also implies Stephen Bathory would stay in Transylvania and Sigismund Vasa would stay in Sweden.

I don't know who Leonor marries.
Maybe an Austrian Habsburg?

Also, you talked about the girls' marriages but what about the boys'?
Who do Manuel, Henrique and Fernando marry?

Last edited:
If Felipe II is already married and Don Carlos is dead, what is the marriage concluded for the Peace of Cateau-Cambrésis?

I don't know what that is.

If Charles IX has a legitimate son, his younger brother Henri never becomes king of France. Does he still become king of Poland? If so, he would stay there which also implies Stephen Bathory would stay in Transylvania and Sigismund Vasa would stay in Sweden.

Perhaps Henri becomes king of Poland, perhaps not.

Maybe an Austrian Habsburg?

Good option for Leonor.

Also, you talked about the girls' marriages but what about the boys'?
Who do Manuel, Henrique and Fernando marry?

I haven't got the faintest clue. Manuel could wed some Portuguese noblewomen perhaps.

The other boys I don't know about either.

For a king's daughter, that is far too lowly. Henry only married Englishwomen after no foreign princess wanted him...
Not for a bastard, which Henry and Edward both consider Mary. Katherine Plantagenet married the Earl of Pembroke while Richard III was King. Edward IV's bastard Elizabeth married the Baron Lumley's son. And don't forget Anne of York and Katherine of York were Lady Howard and Countess of Devon respectively. There would be absolutely b nothing wrong with Mary/Elizabeth marrying a Baron/Earl, especially not with their legitimacy in question.