It Girls, Boys Next Door, Scream Queens, & Dorothy: An Alternate Pop Culture Timeline

The Call Of Cthulhu (1975)
The Call Of Cthulhu (New World Pictures, October 1975)

Screenplay by Curtis Hanson. Based on The Call Of Cthulhu and The Nameless City by H.P. Lovecraft.

Special Effects by Ray Harryhausen

Music by David Lee

Directed by Gordon Hessler

Produced by Roger Corman

Cast

Vincent Price as George Gammell Angell

Stephen McHattie as Henry Anthony Wilcox

Harris Walker as Francis Wayland Thurston

Robert Reed as Police Official John Raymond Legrasse

Betty Aberlin
as Emma Johansen

Jonas Bergstrom as Gustaf Johansen

An unseen man is creating a sculpture of a scaly creature. As the credits end, the camera zooms in on the sculpture.

The Winter of 1926-1927: We meet Francis Wayland Thurston (Walker), a young Bostonian anthropologist. Thurston is the grandnephew of the recently deceased Brown University linguistics professor George Gammell Angell (Price), and the sole heir and executor of his estate. Thurston starts going through papers and artefacts left by Angell, creating a manuscript. Among these is a small bas-relief sculpture of a scaly creature, similar to the one being made in the opening credits. The statuette, in a narrative by Angell as Thurston is looking over notes, is said to yield "simultaneous pictures of an octopus, a dragon, and a human caricature."

The sculpture is the work of Henry Anthony Wilcox (McHattie), a student at the Rhode Island School of Design. Wilcox based the work on his dreams of a "nameless city". As Thurston continues on with his research, an elaborate city is shown. It is described in Wilcox's voice as a great Cyclopean city of Titan blocks and sky-flung monoliths, all dripping with green ooze and sinister with latent horror." As he speaks, an elaborate city is shown. There is indeed cyclopean masonry and massive monoliths. The city is inhabited by an unnamed race of reptilian species with bodies shaped like a cross between a crocodile and a seal. They have protruding foreheads, horns, and alligator-like jaws. The creatures move by crawling around. The words Cthulhu and R'lyeh are spoken.

1925: Wilcox begins having strange dreams on March 1, 1925. It continues for several weeks, as the young man begins showing increasingly bizarre behaviour and speaking of the aforementioned nameless city. The dreams culminate at the end of the month when Wilcox falls into a state of delirium.

A voiceover by Angell reveals that there were similar occurrences around the world. He also reveals that this was not the first time he had heard of Cthulhu.

1908: At an archeological society meeting, New Orleans police official John Raymond Legrasse (Reed) asks attendees to identify a statuette of unidentifiable greenish-black stone resembling Wilcox's sculpture. He then goes on to reveal (via flashback) to the attendees, among them Angell, a horrifying event that took place the previous year.

November 1, 1907: Legrasse is leading a search party looking for several women and children who disappeared from a squatter community. The police are horrified to discover the victims' "oddly marred" bodies being used in a ritual that centred on the statuette, attended by roughly a hundred men repeatedly chanting the phrase, "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."

After killing five of the participants and arresting 47 others, Legrasse interrogates the prisoners and learns "the central idea of their loathsome faith":

"They worshipped, so they said, the Great Old Ones who lived ages before there were any men, and who came to the young world out of the sky. Those Old Ones were gone now, inside the earth and under the sea; but their dead bodies had told their secrets in dreams to the first men, who formed a cult which had never died [...] hidden in distant wastes and dark places all over the world until the time when the great priest Cthulhu, from his dark house in the mighty city of R'lyeh under the waters, should rise and bring the earth again beneath his sway. Someday he would call when the stars were ready, and the secret cult would always be waiting to liberate him".

The prisoners identify the statuette as "great Cthulhu". They then translate the chanted phrase as "In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."

While going through papers, Thurston discovers a 1925 article from an Australian newspaper reporting the discovery of a derelict ship, the Emma. Second mate Gustaf Johansen is listed as the sole survivor. Thurston has been in contact with his widow, who has agreed to travel from Norway to meet him.

1925: The Emma, which was named after Johansen's wife, is being attacked by a heavily armed yacht called the Alert. The crewmen of the Emma kill those aboard the Alert but lose their own ship in the battle. After the crew commandeer the Alert, they discover an uncharted island. With the exception of Johansen and another man, the remaining crew dies on the island. Johansen does not reveal the manner of their death.

In the meantime, Thurston anonymously receives a statue in the mail that is said to be retrieved from the Alert. It is identical to the previous two. [1]

A few weeks later, Thurston arrives at a train station to pick up Johansen's widow, Emma (Aberlin) who has made the trip to visit Thurston from Norway. Emma tells Thurston that her husband died suddenly after an encounter with two Lascar sailors. At Thurston's home, she provides Thurston with her late husband's manuscript. The uncharted island is described as being home to a "nightmare corpse-city" called R'lyeh.

1925: Johansen's crew struggles to comprehend the non-Euclidean geometry of the city and accidentally release Cthulhu, finally seen on film, resulting in their deaths. Johansen and one crew-mate flee aboard the Alert and are pursued by the creature. Johansen rams the yacht into the creature's head, only for its injury to regenerate. The Alert escapes, but Johansen's crewmate dies.

Emma asks how Thurston's grand-uncle died. The wound is still fresh, an emotional Thurston tells her. Thurston explains to Emma that Angell was a "widely known authority on ancient inscriptions, and had frequently been resorted to by the heads of prominent museums."

Late 1926: Angell is returning home from a pier. The old man walks along a narrow hill street leading up from a waterfront when a sailor suddenly accosts Angell and pushes him to his death.

Thurston sees Emma off at the train station. As Thurston returns home and finishes completing his manuscript, he realizes in voiceover that he himself is most likely now a target of the cult:

"Loathsomeness waits and dreams in the deep and decay spreads over the tottering cities of men." He assumes that he will soon meet the fate of Angell and Johansen: "I know too much, and the cult still lives." He also thinks that Cthulhu, whilst restoring his broken head, was dragged down again with the sinking city, thus keeping humanity safe until the next time, when the stars are right.

END

NOTES

The film was shot over a year earlier but had a longer period of post-production than most Corman films. Hessler and Harryhausen added stop motion scenes in after the initial filming. Corman also held the film back as Jaws was doing really well. The director would later admit to deliberately leaving Cthulhu's full appearance out of press materials and the trailer in an effort to emulate what Spielberg did with the shark in Jaws.

Critical reception was mixed. Although box office was modest, the picture made it's money back. Harryhausen was contracted to do another Sinbad movie, 1977's Sinbad and The Eye Of The Tiger, but was interested in working with Corman again on a planned Godzilla movie.

Michael Armstrong, the director of 1969's The Dark served as Assistant Director. Upon learning that Armstrong had been down on his luck since directing The Dark, Corman offered Armstrong a chance to direct a film for New World Pictures.

Curtis Hanson was originally attached to write and direct prior to Harryhausen and Hessler becoming involved. The original plan was to hire an actor to portray Cthulhu in a rubber suit. Tab Hunter was attached to play Thurston at this point but dropped out after being dissatisfied with another Hanson picture he'd starred in for Corman, the heavily cut thriller Sweet Kill (1973). Hanson had previously written and directed another H.P. Lovecraft adaptation, The Dunwich Horror (1970) for Corman.

Tab Hunter was attached to play Thurston but when Hanson was directing but dropped out after being dissatisfied with another Hanson picture he'd starred in for Corman, the heavily cut thriller Sweet Kill (1973).

Perry King was offered the part of Wilcox but opted to appear in The Lords Of Flatbush instead.

The small character of William Channing Webb was written out to give Vincent Price more screentime. Despite the high billing in the credits and promotional materials, Price's role amounts to little more than a supporting role. The actor was a regular on-set, however, and even landed a larger role in Secret Of The Damned, a film that was released first but shot after Cthulhu using leftover sets and costumes from other film productions including this one.

Robert Reed was said to be upset that despite being a well-known film, TV and stage actor with a sizable amount of screentime, he was not billed over McHattie and Walker. McHattie has a pivotal supporting role, while Walker essentially serves as a sort of narrator/protagonist.

Reed was apparently so upset over the billing issue that he blamed his agent. This might have worked out in Reed's favour as he was soon scooped up by Hollywood agent to the stars Sue Mengers. Mengers had a client list that included Barbra Streisand, Peter Bogdanovich, Gene Hackman, Candice Bergen, and Tuesday Weld.

As Mengers herself would tell Vanity Fair 25 years later:

Sue Mengers: What was that movie Harris Walker did with the squid monster? Now, something was really off with that schlub. He was one of Helen Benson's clients. She did have Sam Westwood and Dorothy Dandridge, but a lot of her roster was...people I would never have signed. Anyway, I sat through this really weird movie, but I had heard Robert Reed was pretty good in it. He got fourth billed in this thing over Harris, Vincent Price, and some other schmuck Roger Corman used to put in films a lot. Anyway, I found out through the grapevine that Reed was upset and was thinking of firing his agent because he felt he should have been given second or third billing. I thought he'd be good for Broadway, or some better film roles. So I went up to him at El Coyote, handed him a card and said "Get rid of that a**hole your agent! You should be doing stage! You are too talented to be doing glorified B-Movies and crappy sitcom pilots!" Apparently, that was what he wanted to hear. I signed him.

Despite Walker only having scenes alongside Betty Aberlin, Vincent Price was a regular visitor to the set Walker filmed his scenes on. As Walker remembers:

"Vincent hung around a lot. I didn't open up to the other guys as much until we shot Secret Of The Damned, though. I was alone a lot in Cthulhu. I had a couple scenes with Betty (Aberlin), who I had worked with before on stage".

Jonas Bergstrom was a Swedish actor who had previously appeared in Jerry Lewis' unreleased The Day The Clown Cried. Corman had heard of him and cast him in both this and Secret Of The Damned. His character in the latter film was rewritten from American to Swedish to accommodate Bergstrom. Bergstrom went back to Sweden soon after, later popping up as the love interest in the video for ABBA's "The Day Before You Came" (1982).

[1] In the story he travels to Australia and Norway. Since the film was shot in England and Corman was too cheap to shift production to either locale, the excuse of the statuette being received in the mail is given instead. The ship scenes were shot on a set.

Last edited:
It seem good, despite not being very close to the short story (then again, the short story was one of Lovecraft's weaker works).

Was there another Lovecraft adaptation ITTL before this? I seem to recall one.

It seem good, despite not being very close to the short story (then again, the short story was one of Lovecraft's weaker works).

Was there another Lovecraft adaptation ITTL before this? I seem to recall one.

The Dunwich Horror
with Sandra Dee and Dean Stockwell. It was also a Corman production, he was one of the few doing Lovecraft adaptations. There was some mention of it in the post. I had the same screenwriter (Curtis Hanson) involved.

The Dunwich Horror with Sandra Dee and Dean Stockwell. It was also a Corman production, he was one of the few doing Lovecraft adaptations. There was some mention of it in the post. I had the same screenwriter (Curtis Hanson) involved.
I wonder if this'll lead to more Lovecraft adaptations. Like, maybe the "Colour out of Space" could get a proper adaptation.

What about the critical and commercial reception of Call of Cthulhu. How did that come out?

From my post: "Critical reception was mixed. Although box office was modest, the picture made it's money back. Harryhausen was contracted to do another Sinbad movie, 1977's Sinbad and The Eye Of The Tiger, but was interested in working with Corman again on a planned Godzilla movie".

There was mention in some prior posts that Cthulhu does alright. It's certainly not a flop, but it's not Jaws either. There will most likely be more mention about Cthulhu and the critics in an upcoming post about Harris. He's generally supporting other actors (Elizabeth Taylor) and getting upstaged by supporting players a lot. A good example would be McHattie and Joanna Lumley in Secret Of The Damned. It's hinted that they stole the picture while he was doing a campy Vincent Price impersonation during the possession scenes. Cthulhu, meanwhile, relied a lot on Harryhausen's effects to carry the picture. It's Robert Reed who snagged the A-List Hollywood agent after, though it remains to be seen how that goes.

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1975)
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (20th Century Fox, November 1975) [1]

Written by Robert Getchell

Directed by Ida Lupino

Produced by Catriona Nobel & Ian Nobel

Cast

Ellen Burstyn
as Alice Hyatt

Robert Forster as David [2]

Alfred Lutter as Tommy

Joe Don Baker as Donald

Diane Ladd as Florence Jean Castleberry

Sissy Spacek as Vera

Zohra Lampert as Bea

Barbara Leigh as Rita

Ernest Borgnine as Mel Sharples

Kristy McNichol as Audrey

Tom Skerritt as Ben

A little about the Producers:
The Nobel siblings (Cat, 29, is a Vietnam Navy SEALs widow & Ian, 27, has his sights on directing) are from a family wealthy in oil. They were orphaned and left to share the family fortune, which they used to fund Ian's dream of being a film director. Ian Nobel has directed one film at this point, which did poorly in North America, but made it's money back in Japan.

The script had been floating around for some time. Anne Bancroft and Shirley MacLaine had been interested. At one point, the film was in development at Warner Brothers with Bancroft attached to star. That version would have been directed by Martin Scorsese. Burstyn had a hit film a year previously alongside Art Carney in the 20th Century Fox release Harry & Tonto. Production of Alice at Warner's had fallen through and the producers had moved the film to 20th Century Fox. Burstyn liked the script and was interested, thinking she'd get to work with Scorsese. Scorsese bowed out once production shifted. Burstyn wanted to direct herself but was vetoed by the studio.

As Ellen Burstyn would later recall in her autobiography:

"When production moved to Fox, I wanted to direct it and when I couldn't get that, I tried to get director approval, but apparently, that's only for big, bad, macho stars like Clint Eastwood. Stanley Kramer took over. Marty (Scorsese) had to leave because of the change in filming schedule and the studio move. Then, the original producers filed for bankruptcy and the Nobels came in. I find out they're rich kids - even though they weren't kids - and I thought oh, shit, this movie is doomed with Kramer and the new producers. Then Kramer gets into a fight - well, he tried to get into a fight - with Cat when she and Ian came to the set. Stanley tells them if they plan on hovering over him like he's an amateur, they need a different director. I found out later that Ian thought it ought to be less all flowers and sunshine and more grit - what I wanted. Stan sends us all to lunch and when we come back, Ida Lupino is talking with them and Cat says something like 'Because of creative differences, Mr. Kramer has opted out of directing. My friend here, Ida Lupino, will be taking over as director. Mr. Getchell, Ida, Ms Burstyn, Mr. Forster, hell, anyone who wants can come to the production meeting here tomorrow morning.' So, tomorrow morning, I learn that Ida wants a grittier picture and that the producers are leaving the tone and direction to her. It was great. And it got better. I was so pissed when I learned they wanted to make a sitcom out of the movie; then Ida calls and says 'Cat made sure sequels and tv movies/shows were optioned to her and Ian' and that if I (like her) didn't want a sitcom, to call Cat and tell her that. So I do, and I'm halfway through this speech I'd worked up about how I could live with a drama, but a sitcom would require a complete change of attitude and tone of the movie and she cuts me off with - 'you agree with Ida, then' - I say yes and she tells me Ian agrees. And the sitcom died right then and there."

Lupino had just wrapped up the fall, 1975 filming of The Reincarnation Of Peter Proud when Alice was released. This was Lupino's first directorial effort in several years, and her first big screen directorial effort since The Trouble With Angels (1966). Lupino had earlier appeared in the critical and commercial failure The Devil's Rain during 1975.

Alice wasn't a 'blockbuster' but built a steady box office. The reviews reflected why.

Roger Ebert said: "It was the perfect melding of script, director, and actors without the studio interference that has ruined some recent releases where guys behind a desk second-guess their people."

The notoriously hard to please Vincent Canby described the film as a "fine, moving, frequently hilarious tale" and even praised Lupino's direction, as well as the performances by Burstyn and Forster. He also pegged Sissy Spacek and Kristy McNichol as "stars to watch".

Notes

[1] As mentioned in a previous post, Burstyn gave a rave performance in another movie preventing this one from being totally butterflied. It's just shot and released a year later than IOTL and distributed by a different studio. Of course, this results in casting and directorial changes. The only cast members from the original are Burstyn, Lutter, and Ladd. The plot, however, is exactly the same as IOTL.

[2] Burstyn had wanted Kris Kristofferson, but he was unavailable. Exorcist and Nickle Ride star Jason Miller was considered, but Burstyn, Lupino and Nobel all decided he was wrong for the role of an Arizona rancher and regular customer at Mel's diner. Miller went on to star in a Royal Shakespeare Company production of King Lear in London instead. Robert Forster, fresh off a much-needed hit film with a supporting role in Cannery Row was ultimately cast.

Last edited:
1975 Films, Part 5: A Mini Post

As seen on a theatre marquee:

Let's Do It Again Sidney Poitier Flip Wilson

From advertising materials:

"The duo you loved in Uptown Saturday Night is back! Let's Do It Again with Sidney Poitier and Flip Wilson..."

"Barry Lyndon makes one wonder why Hollywood keeps hiring Ryan O'Neal..."

-Roger Ebert

Last edited:
"Some people fall off the wagon. I fell off the yacht"

-Harris Walker to Nolan Hendricks, 2017

Here's a little mood music to get things going.

From Sam Westwood's Hollywood:

Sam Westwood and Harris Walker are seated at a table alongside another older gentleman. The trio is looking over old photo albums and chatting. The third man present is Ian Nobel.

Sam: The Nobels knew Liz from her marriage to Burton, it seems the family took them on a 'yacht tour' of the Mediterranean one summer.

Harris: Liz told me she was seeing someone. Someone very famous and much younger than her. They met when he approached her about some project that fell through.

Sam: It was Steven Spielberg and he moved onto Close Encounters Of The Third Kind right after. But he fell in love with Liz.

Harris: Ian and Cat threw a party on their yacht for Liz and her new boyfriend. God, that was a huge yacht. They took it marlin fishing in the Gulf, all over the world, I'd have rather we'd been fishing, to tell the truth. I'm still not comfortable with those things, even though it was just about.....God, not even twenty people along with me and Sam.

Harris: I could try and remember who was there that night. (Turns to Ian) Ian, do you still keep guest lists?

Ian: Yeah, but not on me.

Sam: Ian is "a fellow friend of Dorothy" if you catch my drift. There were no arranged dates at those gatherings.

Ian Nobel. I've always been out; I wasn't flamboyant or anything, but, as Cat says you only go round once, you shouldn't pretend to please people. God, that sounds pompous, I could afford to be out, a lot of people couldn't. But I didn't let it define me as a human being either. This was a smaller party where everyone knew each other, so Harris was able to bring Sam as his date. I encouraged it, told him "You can be yourself around us!"

Sam: I loved that party, despite everything that happened. It was great to be able to take the man I loved out and not pretend he was just a buddy. Ian ended up becoming like a brother to both Harris and me.

Harris: Liz got us invited to the party. It was our first official, out-in-public DATE! That's why I remember the date. I think everybody else remembers it for something else, but for me, it was my first official date with Sam. By this point, I was his "roommate" (makes an apostrophe gesture). And, of course, it meant that Sam got to meet Steven and Ian and Cat. Cat scared the shit out of me back then. And sometimes now. (laughs)

Sam: Cat's date that night was Kurt Russell. I don't even think she spent much time with him...

Ian Nobel: Cat hates parties. She didn't even want to go to her wedding reception. She usually went up and took over for the captain and let him man the radar or something. Anyway, Liz has this "Harris" she wants us to meet, "He's so talented and underappreciated" - her usual spiel. Harris' date was Sam, we knew who he was, hadn't met him, though. And then Harris. He wanted soooo bad not to embarrass Sam; you could tell he loved the guy. But that party wasn't the kind of social scene he usually hit, we saw that right away. Cat goes through dinner and then goes into her office with Ida and Steve about some projects they were considering.

Sam: Harris hates these parties, but since Liz made such a point of wanting him to come, we went. I tried to stay with him, but he found the bar and he and Liz were pretty glued to it. (Sam turns to Harris) I also remember that you had one Hell of a time getting ready that night.

Harris: I usually begged the wardrobe department on sets for help, but I was between jobs and the gal who usually helped me had just moved to New York, so I dressed myself. Sam comes in and makes me change. I had a bunch of clothes from commercials (laughs), usually I stole'em.

Sam: Sal Mineo was there, too. With, uh, Courtney. And after dinner half the people go to shore in that mini-yacht they called a dinghy because they had sitters or weren't invited to stay or whatever. I remember Jeff and Natalie had hired a sitter for only a few hours and had to get back. Goldie Hawn and her boyfriend Bill stayed and she kept on about hating to pay her husband money even though they were separated and was probably going to have pay him alimony and Ian and I were giving her a hard time about it, saying it was only fair cuz men had to do it. Anyway, we're all talking and Cat, Ida and Steve decide to talk shop. Ian and Liz say 'no business tonight' and so they go into Cat's office; Liz and Harris go over to the bar and dig in. Ian and his date - I think his name was Dave - end up being our hosts. Sal and I kept watching Liz and Harris drink, but we couldn't say anything without starting a scene - Liz was waiting for someone to say something, I think, she was pissed about Steve going to talk business when she said not to.

Ian Nobel: First, Liz and Harris are at the bar, the next thing I know, they're AWOL. I look at Sam and he does the finger walk thing and we both shrug.

Harris: Liz and I decide we'd had enough and went outside to walk around and clear our heads a bit. We're about halfway down one side of the boat when I realize I have to piss. I tell her I'm going in and why and she says, "Hell, piss off the side, we're in the middle of the damn ocean, it's where all the water goes anyway." I'm half-drunk and it makes sense, so I step up to the railing, whip it out and start whizzing. All of the sudden, bam! I go over the top railing mid-stream and she runs over to grab me, but I'm not featherweight....

Sam: (interrupts) He was a linebacker in High School and still had most of the body and muscle from it then.

Harris: She's got a grip like a vice, but she was in a thin stage and (shows his left arm) left these scars as I slipped away from her. And I'm in the water.

Ian Nobel: Liz comes running in while Bill is playing a new song on the piano. She wasn't making any sense. Her screaming brings Steve and Cat and -

Sam: Ida

Ian Nobel: Thanks. And Ida comes out of the office and Liz still isn't making any sense and then Sam and Goldie ask at the same time: Where's Harris? I mean everyone else who had stayed was there except, well...

Harris: Me

Sam: And Liz goes "Overboard!" (makes frantic hand gestures)

Ian: Everyone but Cat froze, we couldn't believe what she was saying and while Cat runs out, she was heading up to stop the yacht and call the Coast Guard, we get Liz to tell us what happened.

Sam: The Coast Guard is dealing with a burning boat and doesn't show up for nearly three hours. Lucky for Harris, he can swim.

Harris: They found me and had just wrapped me in a million blankets and trying to pour coffee down me when the Coast Guard showed up. And then Ida says something along the lines of "I bet if we put a line on him and threw him back in we can catch something bigger that we can actually eat."

Sam: And we all start laughing.

Ian: And the Coast Guard thinks we're crazy until they get the whole story. I'd almost fallen overboard the year before doing the exact same thing, only the seas weren't as choppy.

Harris: There was a lot of stuff going on at the time. Like Sam says I had a new secret every week.

Sam: I'd told Harris to stop getting photographed in posing straps. And to stop popping up in peepshow loops in Times Square.

Harris: So I posed naked. And then told him I might have a child someplace.

Sam: I didn't believe him about the baby.

Ian: Of course not, the photos prove he's a man, he can't have a baby! (Harris laughs, but Sam isn't as amused at this).

Harris: Sam said I had a decision to make. Did I want to keep drinking and doing drugs or did I want to be with him? Said I couldn't have it both ways. He gave me a month to make up my mind. (Looks over at Sam) I told him I didn't need a month, I wanted him.

Sam: A drink, yes, some weed, yes, but not getting drunk and high, because that's when the stupid shit happened with him.

Ian: That choice saved your life, you know that?

Harris: Yeah, I know that. But it wasn't easy. It took nearly two years for me to figure out how to live without drinking myself blind or getting so high I couldn't remember anything. I tried AA, but in the end, but that was just depressing. But the idea of no more Sam in my life - that was motivation. Like Sam says, we still have drinks, we still smoke from time to time, but not the way I was doing it.

Ian: That was what I didn't get about you: you were either on track or off the rails completely. So I did like my sister and just ignored you until you got your act together.

Harris: (puzzled) You had me over all the time.

Sam: (laughing) You only went over there when you were with me.

Harris looks at Ian, who nods.

Last edited:
The 48th Academy Awards: A list of winners and nominees

Best Picture

Nashville – Robert Altman

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest – Michael Douglas, Saul Zaentz
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore- Catriona Nobel, Ian Nobel
Dog Day Afternoon – Martin Bregman, Martin Elfand
Jaws – Richard D. Zanuck, David Brown

Best Director

Robert Altman – Nashville

Miloš Forman – One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Ida Lupino- Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
Steven Spielberg- Jaws
Sidney Lumet – Dog Day Afternoon

Best Actor

Jack Nicholson – One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest as Randle Patrick McMurphy

John Ritter- Hearts Of The West as Lewis Tater
Al Pacino – Dog Day Afternoon as Sonny Wortzik
Robert Forster- Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore as David
Bud Cort – Day Of The Locust as Tod Hacket

Best Actress

Ellen Burstyn- Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore as Alice Hyatt

Louise Fletcher – One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest as Nurse Mildred Ratched
Isabelle Adjani – The Story of Adele H. as Adèle Hugo / Adèle Lewry
Ann-Margret – Tommy as Nora Walker
Carol Kane – Hester Street as Gitl

Best Supporting Actor

Brad Dourif – One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest as Billy Bibbit

George Burns – The Sunshine Boys as Al Lewis
Burgess Meredith – The Day of the Locust as Harry Greener
Chris Sarandon – Dog Day Afternoon as Leon
Jack Warden – Shampoo as Lester Karpf

Best Supporting Actress

Ronee Blakley – Nashville as Barbara Jean

Lee Grant – Shampoo as Felicia Karpf
Debbie Reynolds- Day Of The Locust as Big Sister
Lily Tomlin – Nashville as Linnea Reese
Diane Ladd- Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore as Florence Jean Castlebury

Best Original Screenplay

Nashville- Joan Tewkesbury

Dog Day Afternoon – Frank Pierson
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore- Robert Getchell
Lies My Father Told Me – Ted Allan
Shampoo – Warren Beatty and Robert Towne

Best Adapted Screenplay

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest – Bo Goldman and Lawrence Hauben

Day Of The Locust- Waldo Salt
The Man Who Would Be King – John Huston and Gladys Hill
Profumo di donna – Ruggero Maccari and Dino Risi
The Sunshine Boys – Neil Simon

Best Costume Design

Funny Lady – Ray Aghayan and Bob Mackie

Barry Lyndon – Milena Canonero and Ulla-Britt Söderlund
The Four Musketeers – Yvonne Blake and Ron Talsky
The Magic Flute – Karin Erskine and Henny Noremark
The Man Who Would Be King – Edith Head

Best Original Score

Jaws – John Williams

Birds Do It, Bees Do It – Gerald Fried
Bite the Bullet – Alex North
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest – Jack Nitzsche
The Wind and the Lion – Jerry Goldsmith​

Best Original Song Score or Adaptation Score

Tommy – Pete Townshend

Barry Lyndon – Leonard Rosenman
Funny Lady – Peter Matz

Best Original Song

"I'm Easy" from Nashville – Music and lyrics by Keith Carradine

"How Lucky Can You Get?" from Funny Lady – Music and lyrics by Kander and Ebb
"Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)" from Mahogany – Music by Michael Masser; lyrics by Gerry Goffin
"Richard’s Window" from The Other Side of the Mountain – Music by Charles Fox; lyrics by Norman Gimbel
"Now That We’re In Love" from Whiffs – Music by George Barrie; lyrics by Sammy Cahn

Best Sound

Jaws – John Carter, Roger Heman, Robert Hoyt, and Earl Madery

Bite the Bullet – Les Fresholtz, Al Overton, Jr., Arthur Piantadosi, and Richard Tyler
Dune- Charles T. Knight, John H. Newman, and Richard Portman
The Hindenburg – John A. Bolger, Jr., John L. Mack, Leonard Peterson, and Don Sharpless
The Wind and the Lion – Roy Charman, William McCaughey, Aaron Rochin, and Harry W. Tetrick

Best Film Editing

Jaws – Verna Fields

Dog Day Afternoon – Dede Allen
Dune- Aaron Stell
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest – Richard Chew, Sheldon Kahn, Lynzee Klingman
Nashville- Dennis Hill & Sidney Levin

Nashville: 5 Wins

Last edited:
Elizabeth Taylor spills the beans on what really happened with Dune
Elizabeth Taylor spills the beans on what really happened with Dune:

February 1997 Interview of Elizabeth Taylor by Robert Osborne, TCM Celebrates Elizabeth Taylor Month: (Between Giant & Liz’s selection Dune.

RO: You were up for Dune, weren’t you?

ET: There were talks, but it wasn’t what I wanted to do at the time. I hated Art Jacobs at times. You couldn’t tell him anything.

RO: Was it a personal or professional rift?

ET: (Thinks for a moment) Both. Personally, I felt sorry for Natalie –

RO: Natalie Trundy, his wife?

ET: Yes, he was always seeing other men going after her and no matter what really happened – you could have video of it – he would still believe what he originally thought. That’s why poor Sam Westwood got fired, you know.

RO: He found out Westwood was homosexual, that’s the –

ET: BULLSHIT! (sighs and takes a drink of tea) There was a party, it was about the time I met Steven. Brando was there, all six hundred pounds of him – okay, he wasn’t that heavy but he was starting to look bad – and he was putting moves on Natalie and Sam very politely waltzed her off to dance. Art sees them do two or three dances, waiting for Marlon to find fresh prey and immediately thinks Sam is making a move on her. She tells him what happened, but he doesn’t believe it and fires Sam. So, Natalie quits the film in protest – I think Jean Simmons got her part after he tried for Audrey Hepburn – and we get this film without Sam.

RO: (Laughing) But you chose this!

ET: It’s got some great acting, and for me, it was an acquired taste. I love Dean Stockwell. I should have married him (giggles).

RO: I think Steve and Anissa would disagree with you.

[1] Natalie Trundy later confirmed in an interview with British film magazine Empire that Liz told the truth about the reason her late husband fired Sam, but added that Taylor was never offered a part because Art thought her too demanding

Sam was sidestepping the event in his documentary.

Last edited: