Into the Cincoverse - The Cinco de Mayo EU Thread and Wikibox Repository

This actually gives me an idea that is going to make people in this little place called Lawrence, Kansas very frustrated. Hehe. Which I'm sure you as a Nebraska fan won't mind at all!

That I haven't decided, to be honest. My instict is some kind of Super 14/Super Rugby arrangement with clubs in the CSA, Texas, and perhaps a one-off in Sequoyah or Monterrey or something, with some churn in club memberships due to bankruptcy/relo or whatever, but I haven't decided.
My question is whether *any* of the leagues in North America (broadest sense) have European style relegation. I've seen arguments that the idea that Chicago (to pick a major city) would end up with no teams at the top level of a particular sport would be horrifying in a way that a league in Britain wouldn't find the idea of Portsmouth having no team at the top level. (Or germany not having a top level team in Bremen).
iOTL, is there any other continent where the idea of a team having two consecutive games within 3 days 3000 miles apart is reasonable? (New York Knicks flying home from a West Coast trip, or even flying home from a West Coast trip and having a game in Philly before they get home) (Australia?) I don't see the Europeans doing that with Soccer and I don't think any basketball leagues are *that* Europe* wide.

My question is whether *any* of the leagues in North America (broadest sense) have European style relegation. I've seen arguments that the idea that Chicago (to pick a major city) would end up with no teams at the top level of a particular sport would be horrifying in a way that a league in Britain wouldn't find the idea of Portsmouth having no team at the top level. (Or germany not having a top level team in Bremen).
iOTL, is there any other continent where the idea of a team having two consecutive games within 3 days 3000 miles apart is reasonable? (New York Knicks flying home from a West Coast trip, or even flying home from a West Coast trip and having a game in Philly before they get home) (Australia?) I don't see the Europeans doing that with Soccer and I don't think any basketball leagues are *that* Europe* wide.
Rugby and football (soccer IOW) have relegation and promotion, though the former has a closed pyramid of forty-eight teams in three tiers of sixteen. Football… I’m not sure about yet hha

Great Whatever
The Great Whatever is a term for a social phenomenon observed by some sociologists in the United States during the 2010s and used as a general description of the general culture and evolving mores of the age; it is used similarly to terms such as the Long Eighties to describe the period 1979-93 in the United States, the Wild Nineties to describe 1991-01 around the world, and the Lost Decade to describe the period 2002-13 in Europe and Asia. The Great Whatever was initially used pejoratively in a March 17, 2015 New York Journal article by James Ford in which he dismissively discussed a "vapid culture of hedonism brought about by mass affluent petit bourgeoisie with little better to do than party, travel, watch television, and fuck, and post photos of themselves doing all the above." In time, it came to be used as a more broad term for American culture and society and came to encompass the decade as a whole.

Politically and economically, the 2010s in the United States begun with the early 2010s recession and a severe political wiretapping and hacking scandal that eventually concluded with the resignation of Roger Goodell on December 1, 2010; his immediate successor, Bill Owens, elected not to seek a Presidential term in his own right in 2012 and populist Montana Senator Brian Schweitzer was eventually elected by a healthy margin in that November's Presidential election. Schweitzer's two terms in office saw the United States's best rates of growth in fifty years, with a major expansion in information technology, clean energy, and infrastructure construction buffeted by a relatively low rate of inflation and major growth in equity markets during the 2012-19 bull market, in which the S&P500 index finished up double digits in eight consecutive years and more than tripled in value. The economic performance of the United States, which had underperformed most peer economies in the 1970s through the mid 1990s, was considerably better during this time than most other developed and advanced economies, though not to the extent of the late 2000s.

Against the backdrop of this strong economic growth, American culture came to increasingly be defined by social messaging apps such as MySpace, Status, Photobucket, Pictogram, and Vine, and American cities saw an acceleration of the densification and high population growth that had been noted as early as the mid-1990s after thirty years of stagnating or declining inner-city populations. Accordingly, a new "young whatevers" culture formed, celebrated as professional, affluent and optimistic as compared to their parents who lived through the early 1980s credit crisis, late 1980s oil crisis and 2000s technology and Asian debt crises, and derided by critics as empty, promiscuous, and too keen to use alcohol and drugs. Television shows of the period seemed to celebrate this new young urban hedonism culture, and by the late 2010s there was thought to be a brewing backlash even amongst the young against the excesses of the time; the Great Whatever is generally thought to have concluded with the advent of the 2020s, even if many of its cultural markers remain. The economic boom of the time certainly did, with the 2020-21 bear market in tandem with the 2020 recession, and the S&P500 did not re-reach its February 2020 all-time high until late 2022.
----

(With this update I was trying to play around with mixing the general "show about nothing" vibes of American culture in the 1990s with social media/urban yuppie culture of the 2010s to see how they'd intermix. Not sure it succeeded, but I'm happy with how this turned out)

(With this update I was trying to play around with mixing the general "show about nothing" vibes of American culture in the 1990s with social media/urban yuppie culture of the 2010s to see how they'd intermix. Not sure it succeeded, but I'm happy with how this turned out)
Finally, we are getting some cultural updates that are not some sports lists I mostly skip and just press like!
(Sorry about my feelings but I never loved competitive sports and got bored them off easily. I can delete my message if you want)
What else are you cooking up for the cultural changes in the Cincoverse?
MySpace, Status, Photobucket, Pictogram, and Vine
Also, I know that the first and last social media platforms existed, but what are the middle?
I say that Status is something like Snapchat, Photobucket is İnstagram and Pictogram is naturally the "X, formally known as Twitter", to fit our list.

The Great Whatever was initially used pejoratively in a March 17, 2015 New York Journal article by James Ford in which he dismissively discussed a "vapid culture of hedonism brought about by mass affluent petit bourgeoisie with little better to do than party, travel, watch television, and fuck, and post photos of themselves doing all the above."
Well now we know who this timeline's David Brooks is haha.

Politically and economically, the 2010s in the United States begun with the early 2010s recession and a severe political wiretapping and hacking scandal that eventually concluded with the resignation of Roger Goodell on December 1, 2010; his immediate successor, Bill Owens, elected not to seek a Presidential term in his own right in 2012 and populist Montana Senator Brian Schweitzer was eventually elected by a healthy margin in that November's Presidential election.
An American-flavored News of the World scandal sounds fun. Certainly different, that's for sure. Watching the Super Bowl trophy presentation it struck me how little charisma Goodell has OTL - guy was pretty flat and wooden up on that stage handing the trophy off to the Chiefs. Of course ITTL Goodell would presumably be groomed as a politician from a much earlier age so he'd be more natural giving speeches and kissing babies and all that, so it doesn't mean anything - I'm just making an observation is all.

An American-flavored News of the World scandal sounds fun. Certainly different, that's for sure. Watching the Super Bowl trophy presentation it struck me how little charisma Goodell has OTL - guy was pretty flat and wooden up on that stage handing the trophy off to the Chiefs. Of course ITTL Goodell would presumably be groomed as a politician from a much earlier age so he'd be more natural giving speeches and kissing babies and all that, so it doesn't mean anything - I'm just making an observation is all.
I feel like he might have the charisma of Jeb Bush, a very awkward one which (in my opinion, at least) can be cultivated into something usable, by practically embracing the awkwardness without getting too self-aware to the point of everyone deciding you act extremely unnatural.

No, you aren't getting it. He's a Liberal. He doesn't need the advantage of charisma or anything because this timeline is being written to screw the Democratic Party. ;)

No, you aren't getting it. He's a Liberal. He doesn't need the advantage of charisma or anything because this timeline is being written to screw the Democratic Party. ;)

giphy.gif

Also, I know that the first and last social media platforms existed, but what are the middle?
I say that Status is something like Snapchat, Photobucket is İnstagram and Pictogram is naturally the "X, formally known as Twitter", to fit our list.
Photobucket was (and is) a photo hosting site that came around in the mid-00s. I used to host some pics on it back in the day myself.

Finally, we are getting some cultural updates that are not some sports lists I mostly skip and just press like!
(Sorry about my feelings but I never loved competitive sports and got bored them off easily. I can delete my message if you want)
What else are you cooking up for the cultural changes in the Cincoverse?

Photobucket was (and is) a photo hosting site that came around in the mid-00s. I used to host some pics on it back in the day myself.
Photobucket and Pictogram are sort of IG equivalents competing in the same space, Status is like Twitter (cribbing this from the “Geronimo” comments)
Well now we know who this timeline's David Brooks is haha.

News of the World is indeed one of the inspirations here!

Your point is more than taken - Rog’s, shall we say, anti-charisma was the one thing that made me most skeptical initially about using him
I feel like he might have the charisma of Jeb Bush, a very awkward one which (in my opinion, at least) can be cultivated into something usable, by practically embracing the awkwardness without getting too self-aware to the point of everyone deciding you act extremely unnatural.
Please clap
Heh

Perhaps maybe some taste of what Dixiewood looks like, Individual Artists, Bands, etc.

Literature related stuff like alt authors, novels (Maybe titles like Hell in Nashville and Black in Dixie)
I am waiting for the television ideas that seem to pop up. (Aside from my idea, someone also suggested a Sopranos but in Sequayoh, though it might be a joke suggestion too)

Last edited:
Please tell me that Mississippi Delta Blues and Hank Williams Sr. are not butterflied 😢.
If Kemal Sunal or SpongeBob Squarepants is butterflied away, there will be a single angry guy with a pitchfork and torch who will try to chase KingSweden24, before being arrested by the police.
And that guy is me.

If Kemal Sunal or SpongeBob Squarepants is butterflied away, there will be a single angry guy with a pitchfork and torch who will try to chase KingSweden24, before being arrested by the police.
And that guy is me.
iTTL SpongeBob Squarepants is a Mississippi Delta Blues group.

Please tell me that Mississippi Delta Blues and Hank Williams Sr. are not butterflied 😢.

I've made a pretty strong argument that, even if Jazz develops in the ATL, it would be unlikely to spread much outside of the environs of New Orleans for a host of reasons and will not reach anywhere near the popularity of OTL.

Having said that, I suspect that the Blues - and it's Delta variety - would still develop similarly to OTL. Much of it derived from musical traditions and influences which had been present amongst the African-American community of the South for generations and there are arguments that it already existed by the time of the Civil War. So I think we can breath a sigh of relief there. The issue is going to be whether any of it gets recorded as early as OTL: the Confederacy isn't going to be in much of a position to have much of a native recording industry for some years (fighting and lossing an apcalyptic war, being occupied, having to put down multiple insurgencies, and trying to incorporate a large freedman population will do that to you!) and even once it does I'm not sure what the market for "race music" (to use the early 20th century term) is going to be. Even if there are lables which produce Blues music, I suspect that they aren't going to have much reach beyond the Freedman population and its diaspora in the United States. Also, I'm thining that the network of Juke Joints which existed in OTL to help promote and support blues musicians in the South, isn't going to exist here or at least be as vibrant.

As for Hank Williams Sr. He better still turn up: that man is a legend!!!