, officially the Sewanee University of the South
, is a private research liberal arts university in Sewanee, Tennessee that is regarded as one of the most prestigious private universities in the Confederate States. Founded in 1857 by the Polk family and other Tennessee notables and affiliated to this day with the Episcopal Church in the Confederate States (ECCS), after independence it emerged as an elite institution first for the sons of Tennessean planters and businessmen and, by the start of the 20th century, the entire Confederacy, as was the original vision of its founder and longtime President Leonidas Polk who pledged it would be "the Cambridge of Dixie."
The university was badly affected during the Great American War, losing most of its enrollment (the entire undergraduate class of 1914 would perish in combat) and would not reopen until 1923, after the end of the United States' postwar occupation, with substantial damage done to its old Gothic-style campus, and it was not included in the subsidized reconstruction plans offered during the first Long administration as it was a private institution. Thanks to the tireless efforts by a small cadre of alumni, the campus and academic programs were restored and by the early 1950s, it had recovered its status as the leading member of the Roundtable of private Confederate universities, famed for its rigorous liberal arts curriculum (particularly in history), and for graduates of its postgraduate law school. Sewanee, despite its reputation as a bastion of the Confederacy's conservative aristocracy and orthodox Episcopalian campus life, was the first member of the Roundtable Schools to admit female (1971) and Black (2004) undergraduates. Alumni include six justices of the Confederate Supreme Court, four Confederate Senators for Tennessee, a Speaker of the CS House of Representatives, five Governors of Tennessee, over a hundred Tennessee state legislators and over 120 Tillman Scholars.
(Hat tip to @SWS
for this idea)
(D’oh it says “US” not CS