Indian Territory Independence after CSA Victory

(Based off an old thread I made years ago, and part of old Napoleonic Timeline I read long time ago)

The Indian Territory (Or modern-day Oklahoma) during the Civil War was an interesting story. Most of the tribes in the Indian Territory sided with the Confederate Government, one famous person being Stand Watie, who became Brigadier General. However, there were also tribes that sided with the Union, and eventually reoccupied the Indian Territory, but some tribes continued to fight.

What if, in a 1862 Confederate Victory, where the CSA gotten support from the British and French, and war-wariness from Copperheads and Civilians of the North, and during peace treaty, the discussion of the Indian Territory is brought up. The both the CSA and USA occupy and dispute over the territory, so the UK/French arbitrates, and pulls an Uruguay (Basically no-one can have), and so the Indian Territory gains full independence.
1616441983465.png

It becomes the United Tribes of North America, or more commonly called the Indian Nation, it's capital at Tulsa, and would pledge "perpetually neutral" between the USA and CSA, Slavery would continue (Until abolished by the Native Government) and be given free access to the Red River, and therefore the Mississippi, to give it access to the ocean.

How would this Indian Nation government function?
How would this Indian Nation economy function
Can this Indian Nation remain neutral between the USA and CSA
How would international relations work for them
Would Slavery last until it be abolished
Could industrialization happen, with their Oil supply
What would culture be like in the Indian Nation

(Map by @Crazy Boris)

White settlers will not respect any treaty that keeps land out of their hands. They will invade it and eventually overthrow any native government, just like they did in Texas, California, Hawaii and everywhere else in the West.

White settlers will not respect any treaty that keeps land out of their hands. They will invade it and eventually overthrow any native government, just like they did in Texas, California, Hawaii and everywhere else in the West.
Problem with that is, who gets it? If either USA or CSA tries to filibuster it, it’ll cause another war between the CSA and USA

What if the CSA establishes a protectorate over it?

I would ask, "the land there is relatively small compared to the rest of the west, would white settlers really want to go there?" but the answer is yes, settlers want to take everywhere that isn't frigid tundra or barren desert.

Maybe the Confederates should just keep it and give the tribes a very autonomous deal even compared to its already decentralized structure.

Having an actual Amerindian state will likely give the US (and the Confederacy, but they have less territory and thus opportunity) an excuse to be harsher in their ethnic cleansing of the American west. Rather than the reservation system, I'd expect lots of Trail of Tears in miniature as various different groups - Lakota, Crow, Navajo - are sent to the United Tribes. The US might give some recompense to the UT in exchange for taking on these refugees, who will probably be treated poorly as land is allotted and fills up with the latest newcomers being treated the worst.

I think it will split. The areas that supported the Union will attempt to break away from those that supported the CSA. If they are allowed to return from Kansas and Missouri at all. You are more than likely going to have some fighting as the Native Americans sort out who is in charge.
Slaves will be kept.

I think the Oil will a tipping point for both the USA and CSA.

And how would the British, or French enforce the settlement? The Union would probable end up with it, because they had more land hungry settlers, and the muscle to secure it. The settled Indians wouldn't like competing with slave labor ether. Would Indians be treated as none White free citizens of the CSA?

Forgot to mention this, but OTL, there was once a movement to make what’s left of the Indian Territory a state in the USA, called Sequoyah, in honor of the man who invented the Cherokee language. So maybe ITTL, the United Tribes of North America would change the name “Indian Nation” to “Sequoyah”

With all that Oil in the Indian Nation’s border, could the Indian Nation industrialize around major cities, like Tulsa, and get investments from foreign nations to build up that industry?

And how would the British, or French enforce the settlement? The Union would probable end up with it, because they had more land hungry settlers, and the muscle to secure it. The settled Indians wouldn't like competing with slave labor ether. Would Indians be treated as none White free citizens of the CSA?

In truth, the Confederacy might have more ability/legitimacy to claim it. During the war there was a serious mutiny when a column of Union troops, despite achieving some local victories, mutinied and withdrew from the territory. Despite having superior resources, the Union failed to secure the territory until July 1863, and probably could have been driven from it.

Interestingly enough, the settled tribes did indeed practice slavery, and the Creek were some of the biggest slave owners in the Territory, also having a significant slave economy. The Confederate government actually managed to secure treaties with the tribes and they would even have (non voting) representation in the Senate. In all likelihood the territory would probably end up in Confederate hands, probably as much from Union disinclination to honor any obligations to "rebellious" Natives, and the fact it was probably more inclined to split.

Post war it would be interesting since I can see Texas simply taking the panhandle, maybe even the contentious Greer County. I would suspect that, in the first decade of independence at least, the Tribes would be left alone. Eventually it would probably be inevitable that the land would be gobbled up by white settlers as any oil discovered and the need for land would drive people to lay claim to it like happened OTL.

Deleted member 160141

I would ask, "the land there is relatively small compared to the rest of the west, would white settlers really want to go there?" but the answer is yes, settlers want to take everywhere that isn't frigid tundra or barren desert.
On the subject of deserts, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada and Colorado would like to have a word with you. Hell, most of Alaska qualifies as tundra, so not even that is outside their reach.
Maybe the Confederates should just keep it and give the tribes a very autonomous deal even compared to its already decentralized structure.
The Indian territory would probably try to make itself integral to peace between the two, making occupation by one nation or another automatically invoke war upon that nation from the other. At least that's what they'll try for; no idea if they'll succeed.