If Buttercups Buzz'd After the Bee: The Rise and Fall of the American Empire

Do you prefer having a quote with the updates as the old timeline, or keep with the songs?

• Total voters

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Any chance we could see a map of what's going on? Great update as always!

Oh crumb, I knew I missed something. I'll add that back into the update.

Why is this timeline called ‘Rise and Fall of the American Empire’ when it is revealed that the empire survived to modern day with it’s monarchic institution intact?

The Empire does fall at one point for a brief period of time, disintegrating in the 2nd Civil War and the Second Republic limps out of the wreckage. The Second Republic is a bit of a mess though and the pro-Democracy parties lose the third election and things return to an Empire shortly afterwards.

The UK's got an intact monarchy too, for all the good that does it.
The original TL hinted at a far-left movement springing up in Oregon and Britain, and I think the Oregonian one was eventually supposed to stretch across the Western US. I see that might still be the plan here. However, will the Councilist ideology this time around feature influence from the Trekkers? I mean if you're going to Oregon overland you're crossing Trekker territory at some point, and with how far west Cimarron is some Trekkers might break into California earlier than any other Americans. It would be interesting if Councilism developed as a radical offshoot of Trekker ideals, or even a radical critique of them-- liberty is all well and good, but if the big cattlemen are effective lords of the republics, and their kids will inherit their herds, pastures, and status, then what makes them different from the Imperial aristocracy? If you run to a new place to create a new society without thinking about what made the old one bad, all you accomplish is systemic land-theft followed by infighting over the new territories. The Libertarians' experience might well confirm this. But if the Trekkers thought seriously about alternate ways to improve their station... they may arrive at some interesting insights, which may even be of value to the Imperials in their large and growing cities.

The Councilists won't be influenced by the Trekkers much, Councilism is a branch of communism, and is somewhat based on OTL Soviet Communism (Soviet means council, see the real creative naming?) so there's a huge focus on the urban and industrial worker over the agrarian farmers which eventually leads to the Councilists declaring the Trekkers to be counter-revolutionaries.

Councilism doesn't actually take over in Oregon (this is a bit of a change this time around, it initially did in DoaR), but California which doesn't have a significant Trekker influence. Oregon does have a Maoist-style Communism which is influenced by, and supportive of the Trekkers and their plight, but Councilism is ultimately dominant. Unfortunately for them, the Trekkers don't really influence the situation as much as they are influenced by it.

Looking forward to reading all of that in future updates.
  1. I'm guessing that Liberty declares independence at a later date due to American support in their early days.
  2. Will America reach from sea to shining sea? Because I don't know if the Trekkers would stay independent if they were to do so.
  3. Does this mean that California and Oregon are dictatorships or suffer from being under a dictatorial regime at some point in their history?
  4. Personally looking forward to the glorious mess that is the future history of this America. DoaR implied that some kind of Orwellian regime took hold in America at some point in the nation's history. Could it be that the Second Republic is a less democratic state than they claim to be?

Last edited:

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
[/SPOILER]60"]
Looking forward to reading all of that in future updates.
  1. I'm guessing that Liberty declares independence at a later date due to American support in their early days.
  2. Will America reach from sea to shining sea? Because I don't know if the Trekkers would stay independent if they were to do so.
  3. Does this mean that California and Oregon are dictatorships or suffer from being under a dictatorial regime at some point in their history?
  4. Personally looking forward to the glorious mess that is the future history of this America. DoaR implied that some kind of Orwellian regime took hold in America at some point in the nation's history. Could it be that the Second Republic is a less democratic state than they claim to be?

1. Yep, they break free later.
2. Yes. Gotta start with a half-Ameriwank to make the fall harder.
3. They do suffer under a dictatorship for a period of time, it's over by TTL's present day.
4. The Second Republic is pretty good, were it not for economic woes and crippling tensions between left and right, it may have even stayed a democratic state. Our boy
1580633676790.png
hasn't been changed too much this time around from what was referenced last time.

Chapter 17

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Hello everyone! Bit of a shorter update, but this is on the status of the USA's capital city. It's still a different location than OTL, but not the nightmare of a capital being in New Jersey as in the previous version.

"Is Washington a better city for America than New York? In truth, I do not know for I fear it shall become the Columbian Versailles."
--Emperor Gilbert I, 1820

The Historical Roots of the Capital Debate by Robert Harrison, 1984, USA

Today the SDC (1) forced the vote on the Capital issue, and now it seems official: the Capital City of the United States will be moved from Washington to New York City. While SDC members celebrate the move as the next step to denikification, several National (2) representatives such as Virginian Carl Riddar and Massachusettsan Viktor Putnam have denounced the move as being disrespectful to the United States’ history. Others have expressed concerns that with the New English referendum scheduled for next month, the capital could end up virtually on the border should the yes vote win the referendum. However, something that representative Riddar seems to have ignored is that the US’ capital city has historically moved around, chiefly between Washington and New York City, although Richmond, Baltimore and Saint Louis have all served as the nation’s capital for over a year as well since the establishment of the Empire.

The debate over where the United States’ capital should be only began with the creation of the Second Constitution. Prior to this, no national capital existed with the location the Congress of the Confederation’s meetings being the de facto capital. Under the Second Constitution, the demand for a permanent capital was made, with the caveat that the capital was to be in the north. Nothing more had been put forward when the Second Constitution came into effect, so the capital remained in its temporary location, New York City and after a few years, apathy set in and many accepted New York City would remain the capital even if not officially mandated by law.

New York would remain the capital for several years before the debate over whether to officialize the city as the United States’ capital sprung up after the 1796 election. Newly elected Director, Thomas Jefferson, didn’t particularly believe that the capital should remain in New York. New York was a hotbed of republicanism even then, which Jefferson supported, but Jefferson believed that keeping the capital in the largest city in the country could lead to a government which supported the cities over the rural classes who Jefferson was a champion of. Jefferson would open the debate over the capital in 1797, and successfully guiding the majority Republican Party into opposing a New York capital.

1581368128154.png

John Vining​

With the capital to be moved from New York, which was eventually mandated by a law passed in 1797, the question now came as to where. One man had a solution. John Vining, a Senator from Delaware, would come forward to argue that the city of Wilmington in Delaware ought be the capital. (3) Alcoholic and inflammatory but genius, Vining would argue the point before the Senate in 1797 before being rebuffed. Wilmington being located within a single state, not being seen as being northern enough, and already being an established city led to Wilmington being rejected. And so, Vining would return to Delaware where for the next two years he would commission surveys of the territory around Wilmington. Vining’s dedication surprised all who knew him, as the man once described as a “drunken dandy who was good for naught” proved remarkably determined, returning to New York in 1799 with a new plan for a capital.

Despite no longer being a Senator, (4) Vining was allowed to present his new plan as the past two years had seen the debate stagnate as the prospect of war with France was slowly growing to dominate American politics. Vining proposed that a roughly 150 square mile (5) piece of territory along the Delaware-Pennsylvania border should be purchased by the Federal government where a new capital city could be built up. Within the proposed territory, Vining would outline two separate sites where the capital could be built. The first was on the Delaware River, which made the proposed territory’s eastern border, the second was in the interior of the territory.

1581368226222.png

Vining's Proposed Territory​

Vining’s proposal had several advantages listed by Vining to make his argument stronger. Firstly, the two sites were either on or near the Delaware river, and the new capital would be near Philadelphia, allowing the city to become an important trade hub. Second, the new Federal territory directly bordered Pennsylvania and Delaware, shared a riverine border with New Jersey, and the southwestern corner of the territory formed a quadripoint with Maryland. This made the proposed territory a nexus where the states came together, and as Vining put it: “encourage the unity by being neither northern or southern, not beholden to the culture of any state.” Finally, Vining noted that the territory would also solve a territorial dispute between Delaware and Pennsylvania, which would permit “an increase in harmony between the states, no matter how small.” Of course, unmentioned by Vining was the fact that Wilmington would be within the Federal territory, the next best thing to the city being the capital in Vining’s mind.

With few other serious ideas for a location for the new capital having risen to prominence, and the approval of the plan by Director Jefferson, Vinning’s plan would be converted into the Residence Act and on July 29th, 1799, the official mandate for the establishment of the new “Capital City of Washington and the Federal District” was born. Delaware would readily cede the territory that August, with Pennsylvania ceding their portion of territory in March, 1800. A deadline of 1811 was set for the completion of the governmental buildings, and until then, the capital would remain as New York…

(1) The Solidarity and Democracy Coalition, the governing coalition
(2) National Front, the opposition
(3) Vining argued for Wilmington to be the capital in OTL.
(4) His term expired in 1798
(5) roughly 380 Square Kilometers

Attachments

• 1581368206232.png
    1581368206232.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 189

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Hello everyone! I'm working on finishing an update to square away the political situation of the USA before moving on the the next large section, (the First Empire will be here relatively soon, yay!) and that includes the internal structure of the USA. As some of you may recall, in DoaR the titles were

USA Titles (DoaR).jpg

and I don't intend to go down the exact same route. Does anyone have any suggestions however for titles which they'd like to make a comeback? I still want there to be a decent variation, so if any strike you as neat, or you have a new suggestion, I'd love to know!

Does anyone have any suggestions however for titles which they'd like to make a comeback? I still want there to be a decent variation, so if any strike you as neat, or you have a new suggestion, I'd love to know!
From list I like: Duchy, Free Duchy, Republic, Free Republic, State.
Elector title does not make much sense for me - in HRE it reffered to distinct 7 states that elected emperor, unlike others, so it will not make much sense if it would be used for regular stat, which did not have special privileges. Margravate is German title, so maybe only for some German majority state? Nomocracy, I was forced to Google it, apparently it just describes that polity is based on rational laws, so maybe could be adopted as aprt of fascination by Antiquity? But still not good in my opinion. Principality - in English speaking world there is only precedent of Principality of Wales with its unique relationships with English crown, mostly it uses to describe foreign monarchies (like Rus knyazhestva).
As for my suggestion: Commonwealth and Earldom (if there would be fascination of Anglo-Saxon heritage + I like how it sounds :) ).

Chapter 18

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Hello everyone! I know it's "just a bit" since the last update, but with the world collapsing in flames around us I haven't had a good chance to do a lot of writing. However, I got the next update finally finished and since the plant I work at is shut down as the workforce is suffering a newsworthy outbreak of the 'rona, I should have more free time. Anywho here we go.

There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution.
--John Adams, 1789

Foundation of the Second Party System from ITTS:usa.was.americanhistory.gov, 2042

The 1798 congressional elections proved critical for both the Republican and Federalist Parties as tensions between intra-party factions were flaring. The Republican Party was torn between the “Democratic” faction which pushed for a more limited federal government, the “Federal” faction which pushed for a stronger federal government, and a small but vocal “Radical” faction which demanded a republican restoration at any cost. Similarly, the Federalists were splitting as the de facto head of the party, Alexander Hamilton and his “High Federalist” clique were leading the party down a pro-monarchical path which caused those more neutral on the issue to grow increasingly resistant.

The results of the election were somewhat unsurprising as the Republicans kept the majority in the House of Representatives albeit with thinner margin than before as independents and Federalists took several new seats. A number of American citizens shifted against the Republicans due to Clark Hopswood’s attempted return and the slowly emerging New Legion led to some who were on the fence on the monarchy shifting against the Republicans. This shift highlighted the tensions within the parties as many of the new voters who voted for the Federalists were neutral towards the monarchy or even slightly republican which stood at odds with the Hamiltonian clique. For the Republican Party, the intra-party division between the pro-British Federal faction and pro-French Democratic faction intensified due to the election, while the de facto leader of the Radial Faction, North Carolinian Senator Timothy Bloodworth, [1] drove the wedge between the Radicals and the rest of the republican movement even deeper by openly referring to Princeps Gilbert as a traitor, tyrant and “papal slave” on the Senate floor.

While the divisions between the Republicans were patched over by the common belief in republicanism, the Federalist Party had no such unifying force. Senator Charles Pinckney would lead the breakup of the Federalist Party, working with four other members of Congress to form a new party: the National Party on September 12, 1798. The National party was supportive of a stronger Federal government but with a “wait and see” attitude towards the monarchy. This neutrality made the National Party a perpetually popular party in United Statesian politics of the era; starting in 1800, the National Party would remain in the governing coalition for three decades even as other parties came and went. The National Party would ultimately be forcefully merged with the Liberty Party in 1844 by Conductor James Polk...

As many Federalists were neutral on the monarchy or even leaned slightly republican, the Federalist Party suffered a number of defections to the National Party. By the 1802 elections, the Federalist Party had lost many members who were ardent supporters of Federal power with many who replaced them being more pro-monarchy than proponents of Federal power. Only Alexander Hamilton and a select few holdouts’ strong nationalism which maintained the pro-Federal power stance of the party after 1810 as the Federalist party withered to only about half a dozen Congressmen at any given time. After Hamilton finally resigned from politics in 1824, the long-in-decline Federalist Party would abandon its pretensions of being anything other than a pro-Monarchy party and change into the Imperial Unity Party which would in turn maintain a minor but vigorous existence until being one of the five parties involved in the formation of the Pan-American Nikist Party in 1925.

While the breakup of the Federalist Party should have given the Republican Party a massive leg up, it did the exact opposite. Tensions between the Democratic and Federal factions only rose as the need to maintain party unity decreased with the collapse in unity in the opposition. Additionally as the pro-monarchy bloc shrunk, the Radicals began to fight any political action which wasn’t explicitly geared towards reestablishing a republic. Radical Republican Senator Bloodworth would go so far as to end every one of his speeches with “Ceterum censeo Regno esse delendam,” furthermore, in my opinion, the Kingdom must be destroyed. [2] By 1799, the factions were openly quarreling with each other, leading to the Republican Party breaking up as Director Jefferson led the Democratic faction to establish a new political party, the Democratic-Republican Party on May 9th. The Democratic-Republican Party was a states rights, pro-farmers and planters, and moderate republican party. Being led by the popular Director of the State Thomas Jefferson, and being the only party that embraced a pro-state power stance, the Democratic-Republican Party quickly became the largest party in both the House of Representatives and the Senate although the Democratic-Republicans would never achieve a majority in either branch of Congress. Much like Director Jefferson, the Democratic-Republican Party was fairly francophilic, although in contrast to Director Jefferson who viewed the early French Republic positively, the majority of the Democratic-Republicans publicly argued for the exiled Bourbons with favor and rallied against Jacobinism and the corrupt Directory. How much of this was just political rhetoric however is frequently debated by historians as many Democratic-Republicans were known to be critics of the Bourbons in private, and the Franco-American War made public support for the French Republic near political suicide...

The Federal faction, led by Director of the State John Adams, would establish the Liberty Party on May 16th both in response to the Democratic Party’s establishment and to leave behind the increasingly politically toxic Radicals. The Liberty Party was broadly pro-federal power, although less so than the National Party, as well as additionally being a moderate republican party. While Director Jefferson would write privately that he dreamed of a future where the United States was a sprawling republic of self-sufficient yeoman farmers, Director Adams would publicly and explicitly lay out the Libertyite plan for a future Republic of the United States. Adams envisioned “a government strong enough to defend the liberties so that a Republic could be maintained,” rhetoric which flowed against even that used by the Nationalists. Furthermore, the Libertyites would argue that the idea that a successful Republican government was one that was “so weak as to be unable to take away the liberties of the people'' was what had led to the First Constitution failing in the first place. According to Libertyite rhetoric such a republic, if it were established again, would inevitably lead to a repeat of the crises of the First Constitution that would lead to a despotic Monarchy the next time around. The current government had only avoided ending in Monarchist tyranny because, as the Libertyites put it, Princeps Gilbert was “of a totally unique nature which mankind has not otherwise seen nor shall be seen again.” The fall of the French Directory and Napoleon Bonaparte’s rise to Emperorship in France was often drawn upon by Libertyites as a glimpse of the future of a Second Republic if the Libertyite plans for a Republican government were ignored. Curiously however, even as the Liberty Party argued for a Second Republic, the Libertyites would begin to reconcile with the monarchy after Director Adams’ term ran out in 1802. Libertyite Senator James Madison took charge of the party after Adams, and his eclectic views on republicanism would somewhat reshape the Liberty Party.

After the murder of his father and brother in 1800 by New Legionaires, Madison engaged in a slightly bizarre period of revision and “correction” of his pro-republican writings, driven by guilt for some perceived connection between Madison’s writings and the murders. [3] In truth, the New Legionaires had just mistaken his father, James Madison Sr. for Senator Madison whom they had intended to murder for being an architect of the Second Constitution. During this period, Madison seems to have reconciled his republican beliefs to support the Princepate by concluding that the United States was already a republic as republicanism was truly about principles, not the superficial titles that were used. Madison would refer to this as the government of the United States being a “sheep in wolf’s clothing,” arguing that while the country seemed to be a monarchy which was “inherently tyrannical” that it was merely a harmless republican state instead. This interpretation of the situation was never truly accepted by most republicans and was controversial even within the ranks of the Libertyites, but Madison’s arguments would see the beginning of a shift in the Liberty Party that would eventually see the party not only accept the monarchical government but openly support it under the Polk and Walker dictatorships...

...even as the political parties continued to fragment, the need for a unified government grew. The Raid on Pointe-à-Pitre triggered a political crisis in Franco-US relations, culminating in then Consul Napoleon’s decision to issue his 1800 Declaration of War upon the United States to “sweep away the Marquis’ upstarts” and secure his ambitions for a North American colonial empire. Initially the official state of war changed little as the fighting continued to just be a string of naval skirmishes as Great Britain’s far larger navy and fighting in Europe kept France too busy to fight the United States. Without a significant threat from France, no unity came in response to the War and domestic political issues prevented decisive action during the initial period of the war. Director Jefferson would win the only re-election of a Director of the State by the narrowest of margins thanks to a series of backroom deals, and Colonel Henry Dearborn would win the Director of the People election in 1802 as a Democratic-Republican. However, shifting political winds meant that while the Democratic-Republicans continued to maintain a plurality, the Liberty and National Parties could form an alliance to achieve a majority, deadlocking the government even as the Treaty of Amiens meant that the United States was now forced to fight France with only the Haitian rebels as cobelligents...

An Empire of Republics: The States Before Polk by Isaac Carter, 2024

When the Second Constitution was adopted, it permitted each state to adopt a form of government so long as it was “representative.” For the first few years the states simply maintained the titles they had under the First Constitution, however on September 6th, 1793, Connecticut changed its official name from the “State of Connecticut” to the “Republic of Connecticut.” In response, the government would pass a law that forbade any state from having a republican government. While Gilbert I would attempt to veto the law, citing the rights of the states, Directors Aaron Burr and John Rutledge would override his veto.

In response to the law, Lieutenant Governor of Connecticut, Oliver Wolcott, would sue the Federal government over the issue and after a two-year legal battle in the case Wolcott vs. United States, the US Supreme Court determined that the States had a constitutional right to establish republican governments. With Wolcott’s victory, six other states: Georgia, Cumberland, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Vermont and New Hampshire would declare themselves to be republics as well. Pennsylvania would also declare their state a republic without changing the title from Commonwealth. Until the reorganization of the state governments by the Third Constitution, the USA would see the admission of seven additional republics, and the abolishment of the Georgian and New Hampshirite republics.

With the exception of New York which declared itself to be a “neutral” state, other states would officially establish ”monarchical” governments although only South Carolina would establish an actual noble position which was anything other than symbolic; the Duke of South Carolina would have a limited veto. The remainder of the monarchical states were what was referred to by later accounts as “Regent Republics,” or monarchical governments with an elected position assuming all executive functions. The term Regent Republic comes from the structure of the Commonwealth of Virginia which created the title of “Duke of Virginia,” however an elected Regent served in the position until the Virginian government was reorganized by the Third Constitution. While the term would be expanded to refer to all of the US states which didn’t actually put a noble into office, the term only accurately refers to Virginia and New Jersey’s structure of government…

...Under the 1791 Constitution, one of the few powers given to the Princeps was the right to grant noble titles “with the consent of those under the jurisdiction of the title,” and to revoke “harmful or abused” titles unilaterally. Curiously, this provision was the only mention of noble titles in the Second Constitution, likely an unintentional oversight by the drafters of the Second Constitution. With this power and the go-ahead by the newly elected Directors Adams and Jefferson, Princeps Gilbert would sponsor the creation of the College of American Titles and Arms in 1796 to oversee the granting of noble titles and coats of arms. Formally, the College had no powers beyond that which Princeps Gilbert possessed, however most states would eventually agree to follow the College’s direction after the College arbitrated the “Title War,” a political dispute between the states when Virginia attempted to claim a status of being “First amongst Equals” and granted itself a higher ranked title of “Archduchy” to reflect these claims. Without any significant legal basis existing at the time by which the dispute could be answered, and with the risk that a fight in the courts would be expensive, unpopular and potentially entirely useless without a legal basis, the parties in the dispute agreed to allow the CATA to arbitrate the dispute. This decision led to the general acceptance of the CATA which would only be enshrined in actual law in 1821...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

And finally, here's a list of US states with a little bit of info on their government structures. I've had GIMP eat two maps I've tried making for this info, so I'll add one when I finish.

Massachusetts, Republic of
Executive: Governor, elected popularly in yearly elections.
Legislature: Bicameral, Senate and House of Representatives
Special Considerations: In response to the Regulator Rebellion, the pre-existing District of Maine and a newly created District of Berkshire were granted special autonomous judiciaries.

New Hampshire, Republic of
Executive: President, elected popularly in yearly elections.
Legislature: Bicameral, Senate and House of Representatives
Special Considerations: none

Vermont, Republic of
Executive: President/Governor used interchangeably, elected popularly in yearly elections
Legislature: Unicameral, General Assembly
Special Considerations: none

New York, State of
Executive: Governor, elected popularly in yearly elections
Legislature: Bicameral, Senate and Assembly
Special Considerations: Due to harsh internal division over the Monarchy, New York is the only state which never adopted a status as a Republican or Monarchical state.

Connecticut, Republic of
Executive: Executive Council (1802 onwards), five officials elected by the Connecticut legislature
Legislature: Unicameral, House of Representatives (1802 onwards)
Special Considerations: The 1802 Constitution reformed the Connecticut government by establishing the Executive Council and abolishing the Senate.

Pennsylvania, Commonwealth of:
Executive: President of the Supreme Executive Council, elected by the Supreme Executive Council
Legislature: Unicameral, General Assembly. The Supreme Executive Council is sometimes considered a de facto upper house
Special Considerations: The President of the Supreme Executive Council was the only US official to officially be addressed with “his Excellency” by 1810.

New Jersey, Duchy of:
Executive: Regent, elected popularly every three years.
Legislature: Bicameral, the General Assembly and Legislative Council
Special Considerations: Neither branch of the legislature was apportioned by population, and the position of Duke was perpetually filled by constitutional obligation to be filled by an elected Regent instead of a Duke.

Federal District, no title
Executive: the Executives of the United States: Princeps/Emperor, Director of State and Director of People
Legislature: none, the US Congress serves as a de facto legislature for the territory.
Special Considerations: The Federal District is directly governed by the US Federal government and while some proposals to grant autonomous government to the district did exist, they were never ratified.

Delaware, Earldom of
Executive: Joint government of the Earl and President
Legislature: Unicameral, General Assembly appointed quasi-proportionally by population.
Special considerations: De Facto power never was held by a separate Earl as the position was always held by the President, not as a regency but as an actual filling of the office. The formal address for the executive of Delaware was “President and Earl of Delaware.”

Maryland, State of
Executive: Governor, elected yearly by the General Assembly
Legislature: Bicameral, House of Representatives and Senate
Special Considerations: A position of “Palatine Lord” of Maryland was created in the 1791 Constitution, however the position was never filled by either a regent or officeholder. The CATA would declare the title of Palatine Lord invalid in 1799 and although the government of Maryland was one of the few to reject cooperation with the CATA, the title went unused.

Virginia, Duchy of
Executive: Duke of Virginia, unelected
Legislature: Unicameral, House of Delegates
Special Considerations: The establishment of the Duchy of Virginia saw the dissolution of the 1776 Senate. In 1797 Virginia attempted to declare their government an Archduchy and claim that as the largest and most populous state, Virginia was the “preeminent” state in the Union, although this was rebuffed.The office of Duke was always filled by an elected Regent, never an actual office-holder and possessed no powers.

Kentucky, March Republic of
Executive: Governor, elected every two years
Special Considerations: The term March Republic was controversial upon its adoption, however as the March Republic continued, it was embraced as the Kentuckians saw it as a symbol of their states status as the “Shield of Civilization on the Frontier.”

North Carolina, State of
Executive: Governor, elected yearly
Special Considerations: Officially a monarchist state, no noble titles were ever created by North Carolina.

Cumberland, Free State of
Executive: President, elected every four years
Special Considerations: Cumberland was officially called the Free State of Tennessee, however unofficial parlance began to refer to the state as “Tennessee-Cumberland,” “East Tennessee” or just ‘Cumberland” as to differentiate between the US State of Tennessee and the Trekker Republic of Tennessee which was named after the state. The name would be changed in 1814 and the state is generally referred to Cumberland retroactively.

South Carolina, Duchy of
Executive: Duke of South Carolina, unelected
Legislature: Bicameral, General Assembly and Senate (1794 onwards)
Special Considerations: South Carolina was the only state to have an independant empowered noble position. The General Assembly was elected by qualified voters while all of the Senate was appointed by the General Assembly except for three Senators appointed by the Duke.

Georgia, Free Republic of
Executive: First Minister, elected by the Senate
Legislature: Unicameral, Senate of the Free Republic of Georgia
Special Considerations: In contrast to many of the other republics during this period, the Georgian Republic actually became more restrictive and embraced a form of quasi-arisocratic legalism to govern the state in an effort to disenfranchise the radical Waltonites who sought Georgian secession from the United States. In 1827, the Free Republic would trigger a political crisis when the Georgian Senate accidentally self-terminated.

[1] Bloodworth was a bit of a radical IOTL too, his letters to Jefferson are an interesting read.
[2] Despite having taken two years of Latin, I have no clue if this is a good rendition of the language. Apologies if I butchered it.
[3] IOTL Madison tried to rewrite his works, as well as personal correspondences at one point, I've just moved the cause around.

Chapter 18.5

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
I missed this TL :D

Thank you, that's a really kind remark. I'm always glad to see people enjoying it!

Anywho, here's a mini-update about Rhode Island. The tiny country's merchants are getting up to some hijinks, and the one in this update really doesn't have anywhere else to organically slide into the other updates so it's getting a special place all on its own!

Also, I've apparently messed up the threadmarks, forgotten images and the map for the last update, and got a little bit of cleaning up to do. Sorry about that everyone, I'm going to get it a bit better then!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"...the people of Kauai are of a far more industrious and shrewd stock than their counterparts in the rest of the [Sandwich] Isles. If it were not so that disease and hardship had depleted their numbers such that the White population of the Isle now exceeds theirs near three-to-one, we might have seen the day that Kauain ships sailed into a Providence that flew their purple flag the same as Rhoder ships now sail into Lihue..."

--Governor Ambrose Burnside

A Brief History of the Americas’ Smallest Country by James McGrath III

The Rhoder ship Vincent had set sail from Providence in early 1794 carrying a load of powder, cannon, shot and rifles. Unlike many of the other ships with such a cargo during this era, the Vincent was not destined for a French or British colony, but for a far more exotic locale. The captain of the ship, Eugene Sussex, had heard rumours that the “Emperor of Ohah-Hoo” [1] of the recently discovered Sandwich Islands was wealthy in gold and seeking to buy “Christian arms,” and so set out to the Sandwich Islands in pursuit of profit.

1588829026558.png

Eugene Sussex later in life​

Sussex had no idea how this decision would change the fate of the Sandwich Islands forever.

In the Sandwich Islands, the tribal chieftain Kamehameha of the largest island, Hawaii, had waged a relatively bloody campaign of conquest to unify the island chain and by this time had only the island of Kauai left to conquer. Backed by the British, and seeing great success by using some western arms, Kamehameha had sought to take Kauai and launched an attack on Kauai in early 1796 that was forced to retreat due to a storm. The Vincent would arrive in the middle of this conflict, making landfall on Kauai on August 17th, 1796.

1588829367052.png

Kamehameha​

Upon landing, Captain Sussex would engage in negotiations with King of Kauai, Kaumualii, whom Sussex believed was the “Emperor of Ohah-Hoo” and agreed to trade the arms for native Sandalwood and a trading agreement with the Rhode Islanders. While less valuable than the gold Sussex initially sought, it was still a profitable trade mission and Sussex would repeatedly return to Kauai on trade missions until his death in 1816. The trade agreement would see Rhoders become the dominant Western trading partner for Kauai, a contrast from the rest of the Sandwich Islands which would be dominated by English, United Statesian and Russian merchants.

View attachment 545751
Modern rendition of King Kaumualii​

The arms granted to the Kauaians would prove quite important for not just Kauai, but the Sandwich Islands as a whole. When the Conqueror Kamehameha attacked Kauai for a second time in 1797, the Kauaians fought back and repulsed Kamehameha’s men. Kamehameha would be mortally wounded in the fight, and when he died, so too did any ambition of a united Sandwich Islands. This action would maintain Kauaian independence for nearly seventy years, with Kauai being the last of the Sandwich Islands to be swallowed up by colonial ambitions...

[1] It's mangled something awful, but Hawaiian hadn't been standardized yet and was spelled Owhyhee in English at the time. I would imagine Hawaiian might be written/anglicized slightly differently, but I'm no linguist so that's a bit beyond me.

Last edited:

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Kauai Royal Banner.png

Oh, before I forget everyone, here's the royal banner of the King of Kauai that gets used in the 19th century. I initially meant for it to be in the update but I forgot to add it in.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
I swear a new update is coming soon, however, since things haven't been going the best, I channeled my negative emotions into writing another piece of Martin Horn's daily life. As weird as it is, even though Horn is probably one of the most objectively morally bad character's I've envisioned for this timeline and just writing it leaves me feeling ill, there's something almost therapeutic about writing stuff like this, so if you all would be fine with it, a piece like this might show up a couple more times in this timeline. But, if it's too out there and you all don't enjoy it, I'll omit them. I don't Buttercups to come across as needlessly dark or toxic.

~~~~~~

“They say we are at War with France, that America stands resolute against the Atheistic forces of the Jacobins!”

Martin Horn, adorned in head to toe in white robes strode across the wooden platform, lit by the light of a colossal bonfire behind him. Before him, was a crowd of thousands, bearing torches, cudgels and other weaponry, enraptured.

“But who sits upon the Apostates throne?!” Horn roared, and the crowd called back:

“A Frenchman!”

“Papists!”

“Mohammedeans!”

“Luciferians!”

“In truth, it is not the Apostates’ Kingdom that wages War on France but us True Believers in His word, us Believers in Jesus Christ and His New Jerusalem that is to come! Why would the Apostate wage War on the Jacobins, are they not allies in Damnation? It matters not if they are a Catholic who worships the Bishop of Rome, a Negro who worships Mohammid, or a Jacobin, they all worship and serve the Devil! They all plot to annihilate we who worship the Savior! And I ask you, shall we suffer their scheming any longer?”

“No!” screamed the crowd in unison

“Shall we allow them to take away the Holy word of God?”

“No!” screamed the crowd once more, as did many other calls for “Death to the Apostate!” and “Death to the Luciferians!”

“Shall we allow their presence to continue polluting our New Jerusalem?” Horn’s voice, raw and harsh, cut above the crowd’s chants.

“NO!”

Horn gestured down southward, down a small road.

“Down this road is another nest of vipers and tonight, my fellow Loyal Warriors of Christ, we shall snuff it out!”

Screams and shouts of jubilation and hatred mixed as the crowd, simultaneously a swarming nest of hornets and some gigantic stampeding beast began to flow down the road towards a plantation. Within moments, Horn was virtually alone, following the mob with only a few dedicated followers to protect him. Another slaving plantation was about to be snuffed from the soil of South Carolina. It had been over a decade since Horn had begun his crusade against slavery and yet there still remained so much work to be done.

For a brief moment, a statement of anger burned in his mind

“Those damn niggers won’t stop breeding.”

Before he snuffed it out. That Word was one of hatred. It dehumanized the Negro. And if there was anything Martin Horn couldn’t do, it was forget that the Slave was Human. He was acting out of mercy, was he not? He could never allow hatred to cloud his mind and hamper that.

A rush of emotion overcame Horn and he began to sob, tears flowing from his functioning eye. And in a flash, the outburst was gone, replaced by pain as starbursts and needles shot from ruined left eye. Horn doubled over with the pain, prompting his loyal companion, Benjamin Meiners to his side, helping him remain upright.

“Preacher, are you alright?” the young man said in a virtual panic.

Wheezing and gasping, Horn was able to respond.

“I am more than alright Benjamin. The Lord saw fit to remind me the true depth of his mercy to the Hammite after I allowed the temptation of Hatred to enter my mind. I was overcome by how truly great our God is.”

“Preacher, please, if you do not feel well”

“No.” Horn cut off the young man, “I must oversee this. It is my task Benjamin. One day, the Lord shall speak to you in the same manner, and you must heed his words even if it is painful.”

With that, Horn straightened and resumed walking towards the plantation. A faint orange glow had already begun to arise in that direction, a sign his companions had already begun their work. A faint smile crept onto Horn's face as he continued forward. His companions devotion to the Lord kept him moving even as his body was slowly failing. One day, he would be embraced by the Creator in Heaven. But today, he would banish others to the lake of Fire and Brimstone.

~~~~~​

Legate Jackson sat at his desk, mindlessly puffing on a cigar. Harsh smoke filled his lungs and caused him to cough. In a snarl of fury, Jackson threw the cigar away. Thankfully, it was a cheap thing and he hadn’t wasted good tobacco. Normally, the Legate wouldn’t have even thrown away a cheap thing as that, however the report on Red Cross activity had infuriated him. An attack had occurred twenty miles from Charleston and there was no doubt that Governor Pinckney was going to be on his ass over that. He had justified moving the Fourth Legion further inland to the Governor by claiming that they had ousted the Red Crosses from the coast and this just tore that idea a new one.

Jackson groaned. The Fourth Legion was one of the two that had been created explicitly for the purpose of defeating the Red Crosses and in seven years they had achieved basically nothing. In New York, some alleged that Jackson was in cahoots with them which he knew was a complete crock. He might not be a friend of the blacks, but he wasn’t about to start roasting them like a fat hog like these lunatics. No, Jackson and the Legions were just unable to combat the fervor with which the Red Crosses operated. Neither had his predecessor Andrew Pickens, something which seemed to be forgotten by New York. They had, in fact, quite literally crucified the poor bastard. It had been three days before anyone found Pickens’ vulture pecked corpse.

And Legate Jackson had no intention of going down the same way. But, after three years in command of the Fourth Legion, all Jackson had to claim for it was that Red Cross activity had marginally slowed.

A knock at the door snapped Jackson out of his frustration for a moment, although his anger still was obvious in his voice when he said “Enter.”

“What has Horn done?” Jackson asked, his voice far more calm than before.

“No sir, this isn’t about the Reds. It’s from Wilmington, sir.”

“Wilmington? What the hell is Wilmington doing sending me a message?!” Frustration once more seeped into the Legates voice as he grabbed the letter. Wilmington was in North Carolina, and therefore under the purview of the Third Legion. They shouldn’t be asking Jackson for help.

“I don’t know sir.”

Jackson held back the harsher retort that he wanted to use when his rhetorical question was answered, simply waving the soldier out of the room.

The Legate donned his eyeglasses and opened the letter. A creeping chill crept up Jackson’s spine as he read what the message had to say.

A French Army had attacked Wilmington.

Barely had that fact settled in Jackson’s mind when a rider burst into the room, followed by the officers on guard.

“Legate Jackson, sir, the French have invaded Georgetown!” the rider said hurriedly as the Legate’s guards worked to restrain the intruder.

Speechlessly, Jackson just stared at the rider. For perhaps the first time in his life, Andrew Jackson was speechless. At his command was just five thousand men, and now they were caught between God-only-knows how many Frenchmen and Martin Horn’s mad crusaders. The next few months were going to be hell, assuming neither the Jacobins or Reds sent him there first