How much actual African culture is there in Afro-American culture ?

Jambalaya is from Occitan, not from Africa. It is technically, the Occitan rendering of Catalan Paella.

How does one distinguish vihuela from the ‘banjo’? It seems that a European origin of the banjo is more likely.

Gumbo though, is probably an unique Afro-Louisianais creation, as opposed to a direct origin from Western Africa.

I actually didn't know that about gumbo and jambalaya; I stand corrected. But the banjo is authentically African, or at least is a direct evolution of instruments from there.

I actually didn't know that about gumbo and jambalaya; I stand corrected. But the banjo is authentically African, or at least is a direct evolution of instruments from there.

Gumbo is the African word for okra. The awesome food we know today was the result of influences from all members of the local melting pot.

Jambalaya is from Occitan, not from Africa. It is technically, the Occitan rendering of Catalan Paella.

How does one distinguish vihuela from the ‘banjo’? It seems that a European origin of the banjo is more likely.

Gumbo though, is probably an unique Afro-Louisianais creation, as opposed to a direct origin from Western Africa.

1.Jambala has clear links to Charleston Red Rice in the U.S. where the same people's of the Rice Coast were brought and thebouidienne, jollof and waakye.

2.While the name may have Occitan roots paella of the 18th to mid-19th century was not at all like Jambalaya of Louisiana.

3. the word was first published by Leis amours de Vanus; vo, Lou paysan oou théâtré, by Fortuné Chailan in the mid 19th century but that was well after the
exodus of many francophones from Louisiana back to France

4. Such a statement reduces the 3,500 years of rice cultivation in West Africa and reduces the Foodways of Louisiana to the commingled and clearcut origin that ignores the 600 years of Euro-African contact.

5. The very fact that you are arguing the banjo is not African despite it's name but in the same vein claim jambalaya is not linked to African food was because it's name is just straight up contradictory.

1.Jambala has clear links to Charleston Red Rice in the U.S. where the same people's of the Rice Coast were brought and thebouidienne, jollof and waakye.

2.While the name may have Occitan roots paella of the 18th to mid-19th century was not at all like Jambalaya of Louisiana.

3. the word was first published by Leis amours de Vanus; vo, Lou paysan oou théâtré, by Fortuné Chailan in the mid 19th century but that was well after the
exodus of many francophones from Louisiana back to France

4. Such a statement reduces the 3,500 years of rice cultivation in West Africa and reduces the Foodways of Louisiana to the commingled and clearcut origin that ignores the 600 years of Euro-African contact.

5. The very fact that you are arguing the banjo is not African despite it's name but in the same vein claim jambalaya is not linked to African food was because it's name is just straight up contradictory.

The jambalaya point was an assured position of mine. Regarding banjo, this is simply a suggestion.

The 4th point, I am not aware as to which concept you are referring or what I am supposedly denying.

From what is known, the rice within Louisiana does not derive from Charleston, but from Filipino arrivals during the Spanish period in the 1770s.

The jambalaya point was an assured position of mine. Regarding banjo, this is simply a suggestion.

The 4th point, I am not aware as to which concept you are referring or what I am supposedly denying.

From what is known, the rice within Louisiana does not derive from Charleston, but from Filipino arrivals during the Spanish period in the 1770s.

Rice cultivation was mention as early as 1718 in Louisiana as a crop of trade, it did not come from Manilamen who only settled in the 1730-40's.

In the article "Saint Malo. A Lacustrine Village in Louisiana" by Hearn, Lafcadio March 31, 1883 its stated that rice was a rarely available commodity in the community and that as fishermen they lived off fish.

You are erasing the agronomical and culinary traditions by ignoring the parallel foodways of jambalaya and red rice and it's connection to the broad rice growing region of the Americas formed by African descended people.

Your statements are ignoring the foundations of both South Carolina and Louisiana being in rice cultivating ethnic groups of the Windward/Rice Coast of Western Africa and placing the formation of rice in Louisiana not with the massive African descended populations there but rather Southeast Asians who literally have nothing to do with the subject and were not farmers

Last edited:
I think another important note is that a lot of African traditions got subsumed into "Southern" traditions, especially with food.