How Could Mitt Romney Have Won in 2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as the tin says. I would like to know ways for Mitt Romney to win the 2012 Election, preferably other than the usual "avoid the 47% comment" or the such. Extra points for a POD within two months of the election.

The total Libyan collapse happens sooner, the Obama/Farrakhan photo surfaces sooner, and Russia invades Crimea after the third debate.

Last edited:
To win, Mitt Romney needs 64 electoral votes.

New Hampshire (4) was won by only 39,643 votes. Florida (29) with less than 1% of the votes, Mitt needed to just get 74,309 more votes. While Ohio's 166,272 votes (18) and Virginia's 149,298 (13)

These four states, all reachable and campaign able, with a total of 429,522 votes needed overall, giving Romney the 270 votes needed along with 28 states, leaving Obama with 268 votes, 22 states + DC, although Obama still has the Popular vote.

Having been not been Governor of Massachusetts, since 2007, an alternative could have been him running in the Senate special election in Massachusetts, 2010 (the same seat he ran for in 1994 against Ted Kennedy)
Or simply having him run in 2006 as a Representative to keep him physically in politics.

An alternative running mate could have helped as I think representative Paul Ryan, wasn't the strongest candidate, Romney's campaign favored Ryan because he was "young, telegenic, Irish Catholic, with blue collar appeal" and could potentially help the campaign in his competitive home state. Romney also personally liked Ryan and felt comfortable campaigning with him.

Some one with a strong career and from one of the swing states, could work such as:
- Senator Marco Rubio of Florida* (Young, telegenic and oratorical skill, Latino Catholic, with blue collar appeal)
- Senator Rob Portman of Ohio*
- Governor Bob McDonnell of Virginia *
- Senator Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire*
- Governor John Kasich of Ohio
- Senator John Cornyn of Texas
* - These were among the eleven individuals narrowed down on his list of potential nominees.

Heres my take on a Romney/Rubio ticket, running in 2012
2012 President.png

To win, Mitt Romney needs 64 electoral votes.

New Hampshire (4) was won by only 39,643 votes. Florida (29) with less than 1% of the votes, Mitt needed to just get 74,309 more votes. While Ohio's 166,272 votes (18) and Virginia's 149,298 (13)

These four states, all reachable and campaign able, with a total of 429,522 votes needed overall, giving Romney the 270 votes needed along with 28 states, leaving Obama with 268 votes, 22 states + DC, although Obama still has the Popular vote.

Having been not been Governor of Massachusetts, since 2007, an alternative could have been him running in the Senate special election in Massachusetts, 2010 (the same seat he ran for in 1994 against Ted Kennedy)
Or simply having him run in 2006 as a Representative to keep him physically in politics.

An alternative running mate could have helped as I think representative Paul Ryan, wasn't the strongest candidate, Romney's campaign favored Ryan because he was "young, telegenic, Irish Catholic, with blue collar appeal" and could potentially help the campaign in his competitive home state. Romney also personally liked Ryan and felt comfortable campaigning with him.

Some one with a strong career and from one of the swing states, could work such as:
- Senator Marco Rubio of Florida* (Young, telegenic and oratorical skill, Latino Catholic, with blue collar appeal)
- Senator Rob Portman of Ohio*
- Governor Bob McDonnell of Virginia *
- Senator Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire*
- Governor John Kasich of Ohio
- Senator John Cornyn of Texas
* - These were among the eleven individuals narrowed down on his list of potential nominees.

Heres my take on a Romney/Rubio ticket, running in 2012
View attachment 408703

Can I use your InfoBox for a timeline I'm writing?

Romney Cabinet.png

Just a few ideas, nothing set in stone, working with his allies, endorsements and fellow GOP challengers.
Rick Santorum, John Bolton, Michele Bachmann, and Newt Gingrich are nods towards the conservative wing of the GOP.
Jon Huntsman Jr. is nominated as Ambassador to the UN as a good will gesture following years of rivalry between the two. Huntsman believed Romney cut him out of the 2002 games in Atlantic City. The two are also related, sharing a great-grandfather.

mittmarco.jpg

Both candidates worked well together, pulling off a viberant and close friendship, matching those of Obama and Biden.

220px-John_McCain_%26_Mitt_Romney_%2823342266429%29.jpg

Although rivals in the 2008 election, the pair would work together to rebuild America's foreign policy.

View attachment 408725
Just a few ideas, nothing set in stone, working with his allies, endorsements and fellow GOP challengers.
Rick Santorum, John Bolton, Michele Bachmann, and Newt Gingrich are nods towards the conservative wing of the GOP.
Jon Huntsman Jr. is nominated as Ambassador to the UN as a good will gesture following years of rivalry between the two. Huntsman believed Romney cut him out of the 2002 games in Atlantic City. The two are also related, sharing a great-grandfather.

mittmarco.jpg

Both candidates worked well together, pulling off a viberant and close friendship, matching those of Obama and Biden.

Although rivals in the 2008 election, the pair would work together to rebuild America's foreign policy.

My problem with Gingrich and Bolton is that both of them will probably do things they will regret there. Gingrich is already hated by a large number of people, and his more brash way of speaking can drive away potential moderates who would otherwise like Romney. Bolton, while close with Romney, could get himself in hot water for many of his stances that could be described as hawkish or irresponsible.

My problem with Gingrich and Bolton is that both of them will probably do things they will regret there. Gingrich is already hated by a large number of people, and his more brash way of speaking can drive away potential moderates who would otherwise like Romney. Bolton, while close with Romney, could get himself in hot water for many of his stances that could be described as hawkish or irresponsible.
True, as I said, not in stone, just had these two in the cabinet as I remember their names being linked heavily in 2012, similar to Bolton in Trump's cabinet.

View attachment 408725

mittmarco.jpg

In addition, Herman Cain would still be followed by the sexual harassment claims. But otherwise, very good work.

In addition, Herman Cain would still be followed by the sexual harassment claims. But otherwise, very good work.
Oh yes, so scrap him for just Carly is you wish. I did imagining having Trump down, but that would be too weird for a Monday Morning.

Oh yes, so scrap him for just Carly is you wish. I did imagining having Trump down, but that would be too weird for a Monday Morning.

In this TL, I think Trump would end up like Pat Buchanan in 1992 and challenge a moderate incumbent from the right. He'd most likely fail, but not before putting up a surprisingly strong fight.

In this TL, I think Trump would end up like Pat Buchanan in 1992 and challenge a moderate incumbent from the right. He'd most likely fail, but not before putting up a surprisingly strong fight.

I don't plan on having the economy go under just because Romney is President. If the economy is in good shape under the Republican Party banner, I think that Trump will be content with the tax break and his TV show. Although I can't be sure of that, everything can change.

Another way of having it go is to have trump run on Left wing anger instead of conservative anger. being a chameleion and having had on and off expierence as a Democrat he could easily pull off a one 80 on his position and run aganst Mitt.

Deleted member 16736

I know you've already started writing your tl, but if you're looking for inspiration for a cabinet I wrote this list a couple years ago that covered my thoughts on the subject pretty in depth.

Justice Appointments
In OTL in Obama’s second term (2013-17) the only vacancy was the death of Justice Scalia in February 2016.

In this time line a Republican house is more likely to approve of Romney’s nominee rather then string it out to the next Congress which could be under the control of democrat president and/or democratic house.

Would Justic Kennedy retire earlier knowing his replacement with be a Republican.

SYRIZA wins the 2012 Greek election, defaults and exits the Euro, causing a new financial panic in the fall of 2012.

A lesser possibility is the ACA failing to pass. This would significantly dent Obama's ratings with his own party, as the central fight of his first two years would have ended in failure. Possible this leads to significantly lower enthusiasm for Obama and a more difficult reelection.

Rick Santorum as Secretary of Education what is a disaster in the making, he's going to piss off the majority of parents in the country to an extent the Democrats dream Betsy DeVoss would .
Paul Ryan as Attorney General? I can see politically based investigations as well as investigations stop for political reasons.
Newt Gingrich as Secretary of the Interior would be a dream come true energy companies but a living nightmare for environmentalists.
John Bolton as Secretary of Homeland Security? Mitt Romney's poll numbers would take a jump the day he fired him.

Last edited:

samcster94

Banned
Justice Appointments
In OTL in Obama’s second term (2013-17) the only vacancy was the death of Justice Scalia in February 2016.

In this time line a Republican house is more likely to approve of Romney’s nominee rather then string it out to the next Congress which could be under the control of democrat president and/or democratic house.

Would Justic Kennedy retire earlier knowing his replacement with be a Republican.
You mean Senate?

Status
Not open for further replies.