Hitler in the Louvre?

If Hitler remained an artist, what would the limits of his concievable success be? While the title is more exagerration than any set parameters, would it be possible for him to raise any eyebrows? Could he move on from his previously unremarkable work?

From what I've been able to piece together very casually, Hitler's artistic talents were nothing to speak about in terms of landscapes or portraiture--at least not without major, major coaching/schooling. I recall reading that he tried to secure a position as what we'd call a drafter or designer in today's terms with many Viennese architectural firms, to no avail. Perhaps had he tried elsewhere in a lesser city in either Germay or Austria he might have gotten such a position after all. Had that happened, he might have had a career of some modest note--and would likely be no more than a minor footnote to 20th century architectural history at best.

If Hitler remained an artist, what would the limits of his concievable success be? While the title is more exagerration than any set parameters, would it be possible for him to raise any eyebrows? Could he move on from his previously unremarkable work?

At best, his prints could be found over the mantles of boring German lower middle class homes.

Valdemar II

Banned

No if Hitler managed to enter the Academy, he would likely have ended up a small time painter, could he has lived of it; quite likely, would he become rich and famous, unless he shows a excessive latent talent; no. So likely Hitler would be unknown today.

I can tell you he would not be in the Louvre, since it only houses art produced until 1848.

Someday I will start that old project of mine of Hitler meeting and befriending Walter Gropius in the trenches, entering the Bauhaus as a student and becoming a respected modern architect...

In an "Alternate Hitlers" thread I supposed a case of Hitler becoming an architect of some renown best known for a neoclassical/futurist style that used forced perspective lines to make buildings look larger and more imposing.

His artwork was mediocre at best, but the telling thing is the typical subject: architecture, typically greatly exaggerated in scale.

Here's another ATL for you(actually the book "La part de l'autre" by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt): On the 8th of October 1908 Adolf Hitler passes the entry exams and is admitted to the Vienna Art Academy . Actually failing the exams is the start of Adolf's OTL

Last edited:
Hitler was a mediocre provincial landscape painter who couldn't do perspective properly. The chances of him achieving any spectacular greatness in painting are slightly less than bugger-all.

With training, he might have been able to make a comfortable living out of it for himself and achieve a decent basic standard of painting. But nothing else.

One of my favorite dreams is WWII being reduced to a paint-off between Churchill and Hitler. They were both pretty good (not great, but good) artists.