GURPS Infinite Worlds Covers

Does seem entertaining in a dumb fun kind of way, though. Ameriwank vs. the Space Nazis, who will win?
In the end I understand why they took Centrum. Nazis are such a blunt instrument. Nobody would believe, that they carefull infiltrate an alternaive Earth. No, like with Friedrich and Nostradamus, they would have the sublety of a Stuka.

I found an issue of pyramid long ago detailing an early draft of Infinite Worlds they decided not to go with, does anyone remember this? IIRC the plot is that America discovered Parachronics during the cold war and used them to beat Russia, Reich-5 were to be the main villains, and Rome Aeturnum was going to be an American ally they let in on the secret and assisted in conquering their world.

Edit: found it!
Hmm... I can't find anything say it was an early draft for Infinite Worlds.
What is says is that many of the worlds from Alternate Earths (and Alternate Earths 2) originated in
a different campaign that predated GURPS Time Travel by several years.

Further examples:
Delta: Aeolus (Alternate Earths 2)
Epsilon: Caliph (Alternate Earths 2)
Phi: Cornwallis (Alternate Earths 2)

Skallagrim

Banned
I found an issue of pyramid long ago detailing an early draft of Infinite Worlds they decided not to go with, does anyone remember this? IIRC the plot is that America discovered Parachronics during the cold war and used them to beat Russia, Reich-5 were to be the main villains, and Rome Aeturnum was going to be an American ally they let in on the secret and assisted in conquering their world.

Edit: found it!

My Alexander-loving self sees Eta ("Post-disaster timeline which reached TL9 or 10 before collapsing about 100 years ago. Apparently diverged with Alexander the Great; his successors built the space stations and other artifacts still dotting this mostly empty world. Local present 2055.") and regrets not knowing more about it.

Did anyone else get the feeling that Gernsback was more of a dystopia?

It avoided World War II, but got stuck in some conservative 1940s social attitudes. Local present given in the document @PachPachis linked to is 1965, which means that - relative to OTL - the difference in attitudes is somewhat less noticable. If it stays unchanging up to the OTL present, it'll get more and more dystopian, I suppose.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ite-worlds-covers.390560/page-9#post-13955535
My Alexander-loving self sees Eta ("Post-disaster timeline which reached TL9 or 10 before collapsing about 100 years ago. Apparently diverged with Alexander the Great; his successors built the space stations and other artifacts still dotting this mostly empty world. Local present 2055.") and regrets not knowing more about it.
Well, lucky you, because it's implied to be the future of Iskander-2 from GURPS Infinite Worlds: Lost Worlds.
The PoD is Alexander dying in his mid-60s, and so keeping his promise to his soldiers to return west. He spent the next 30 years consolidating his empire and when he does die his chosen successor keeps control rather than the empire splintering. His successors expanded the empire even further. Starting from 95 AD the Alexandrian Hegemony fights a series of wars with China, but while one side might win a province or some concession, they both become too big for total defeat. China and Alexandria colonize the Americas from different sides, and by 1273 they're TL9 (Bordering on nanotech). The apocalypse in Eta is implied to have resulted from a final war that unleashed some sort of grey goo.

In Infinite Worlds, the Patrol is trying to steal tech from neutral and buffer third world states, whose "crappy" technology is still far ahead of ours (China and the Hegemony are too tightly controlled, with any agents being asked to present ID almost immediately and ID being too hi-tech to fake). They also recruited an agent, a sentient combat robot who conscientiously objected and defected from the Hegemony, who suggests a robot uprising might have also caused the apocalypse.

EDIT: Hmm, might do a cover of this.

Last edited:
In what sense? It isn't a utopia either? It's sort of normal. It's death rate is apparently the same as ours.
It's more colonialist, racist and sexist, and less democratic than our 60s. It's pros are no ww2 and higher tech. So there's room for interpretation I guess.

It's more colonialist, racist and sexist, and less democratic than our 60s. It's pros are no ww2 and higher tech. So there's room for interpretation I guess.
I consider dystopian places like Steel, or Lenin-2, where human civilization has come crashing down. Gernsback is about as racist or colonialist or sexist as our 1940s. It is not less democratic, since minorities were allowed to vote anyways.

Outside of terrible social mores, the setting doesn't seem to be any worse or better than other settings.

Merlin-1 has 2010s social mores but has stuff like Atomic Lichs running around, undead Josef Stalins being a warlord in the Caucuses, Argentina ruled by an immortal Eva Peron with a Nazi cabal of sorcerers, along with hostile sentient hive-mind penguin civilizations that were created in their 1950s. Are they dystopian?

I consider dystopian places like Steel, or Lenin-2, where human civilization has come crashing down. Gernsback is about as racist or colonialist or sexist as our 1940s. It is not less democratic, since minorities were allowed to vote anyways.

Outside of terrible social mores, the setting doesn't seem to be any worse or better than other settings.

Merlin-1 has 2010s social mores but has stuff like Atomic Lichs running around, undead Josef Stalins being a warlord in the Caucuses, Argentina ruled by an immortal Eva Peron with a Nazi cabal of sorcerers, along with hostile sentient hive-mind penguin civilizations that were created in their 1950s. Are they dystopian?
It's less democratic due to technocracy being more influencial and the existence of the technocratic WSC. Merlin-1 contains dystopian societies, but other nations that are safe, magical and democratic are not dystopian.

It's less democratic due to technocracy being more influencial and the existence of the technocratic WSC. Merlin-1 contains dystopian societies, but other nations that are safe, magical and democratic are not dystopian.
The United States of America
Greatest of the Great Powers, the United States of America stretches from the Philippines to Puerto Rico and from Alaska to Texas. Its gigantic industrial corporations and immensely powerful banking institutions are the muscle and sinew of the global order, and its 220 million citizens have the highest standard of living on Earth. America is the global leader in automobiles, steel, aircars, power plants and airframes, and its farms are the world’s most productive. Although New York is unquestionably the greatest city on Earth, Chicago and Los Angeles boom at either end of the great “mother road,” the 20-lane, Highway 66. Its politics, once quite interesting, have grown deadly dull as the, technocratic wings of both the Republican and Democratic parties trade off, power every eight years.
The German Republic
Second only to America in economic power, the German Republic leads the world in pure science. This advantage results in overwhelming leads for German cartels in chemicals, pharmaceuticals, machine tools, optics and electrical equipment. Krupp produces the armaments for many national arsenals, Siemens pours out steel and electrical equipment for Europe’s blitzbahnen (lightning trains) and I.G. Farben is at the forefront of rocket fuels and industrial chemicals of all kinds.

Germany’s 80 million people live in an orderly society dominated by the Progressive Democratic Party (FDP) and the German Democratic Party (DDP), the 1926 Constitution having broken the German tendency toward fringe movements. The Ruhr is the economic heart of Europe and Berlin is its intellectual center. The German film industry gives Hollywood a great deal of competition as well, with technological thrillers, dark suspense dramas and frothy
romances.
Two of the Great Powers of Gernsback, on their equivalent of the League of Nations Security Council equivalent, sound pretty democratic to me.

Two of the Great Powers of Gernsback, on their equivalent of the League of Nations Security Council equivalent, sound pretty democratic to me.
Two parties in lockstep trading off power every election cycle isn't super democratic. But it's all open to interpretation. If you think the good on Gernsback outweighs the bad, you can have that perspective.

Two parties in lockstep trading off power every election cycle isn't super democratic. But it's all open to interpretation. If you think the good on Gernsback outweighs the bad, you can have that perspective.
I don't think the good outweighs the bad. I just don't think it's particularly dystopian. Reich-5 sounds more dystopian.

Do you consider Centrum to be dystopian in nature?

I don't think the good outweighs the bad. I just don't think it's particularly dystopian. Reich-5 sounds more dystopian.
There are degrees of unpleasantless before "literal nazi victory".
Do you consider Centrum to be dystopian in nature?
Again not as much as Reich-5, but yeah. As presented they're committing a campaign of cultural eradication and supplantation of Anglo culture on their own people and outright conquest against other universes, not to mention the undemocratic nature of their society.

There are degrees of unpleasantless before "literal nazi victory".

Again not as much as Reich-5, but yeah. As presented they're committing a campaign of cultural eradication and supplantation of Anglo culture on their own people and outright conquest against other universes, not to mention the undemocratic nature of their society.
I think all Gurps TL have at least some element, which should make us feel uncomfortable.

I think its like this with most AH. We want to see this worlds. We don´t want to life there.
Because in order to have reasons for players to enjoy a place in an RPG, there needs to be reasons for why places can't be utopias. Because those are boring.