Guess the language!

Hi folks,

I designed a language in the context of a certain AH scenario, and I can't help sharing it here. :)
It is mostly based on general principles, which allow me to invent words and translate longish texts into it relatively fast. At the same time, I think it is not completely unrecognizable; so I thought why not make a little puzzle out of it?

I chose a fairly well-known text, and I hope, as a first step, that you can tell the story.

I a second step, I am eager to learn whether you find out the basic principles of the origin of this language; and perhaps have some conclusions about the scenario. :cool:

Are you ready? Here we go:

Lauf is auba

Zo lauf quai gapius fome,
gas vis rahme täubs,
fenzine timaure alze.

Zentaus lus frinter,
ma lapûraus invanemen,
ferque nu fossers lus aHHiter.

Fainelmen si gas vulzaz i tai(h)z:

"Auba son aspra, nu massra, quume fensau."

I admit that this is a bit harder than originally intended. In case you are interested but clueless I can give more hints or provide simpler texts.

Good luck!

Btw, some pronunciation (in case that helps):

stressing: first syllable excepting prefixes

z as ts in tsar
H as ch in Schott. loch, German Loch, as j in Span. reloj, г in Russ. Бог
(h) as ch in German ich

ss voiceless s, as in brass
s voiced only between two vowels, otherwise voiceless

qu as kv in kvetch

a,i,u short, roughly as in Spanish/German/Italian
i before vowel: as y in yes
e short and open, as in get
- after word stress: rather shva sound, as a in Lisa
o short and open, as in French grotte, German Gott, Italian notte

ä similar to e, but even more open (roughly, a short version of a as in bad)

diphtongs: pronounced as the combination of the constituent vowels (duh)
- so au as ow in Brown (or brown),
- ai as I,
- äu as eui in French portefeuille

cicumflex (^): makes long vowels

Last edited:
That the Lord's Prayer?

No, sorry. Not at all. It's a story.
Of course, the existence of this story in this language is consistent with the PoD.

If you somehow the right story comes to your mind, I think you will be able to verify that it the one (e.g. the last line might give something away). But I admit that if you don't actively scan your mind for this story it may be hard to associate it.

If I were to make an uneducated guess I would say that it was a mix of German and French.

This looks like a rather educated guess ;).

You are definitely looking to the right part of the world, as well as to the right rough cluster of languages.

If I should name the two modern languages from OTL with the closest relations to this one, then German would be one of them. However, there would be an even better choice in lieu of French.

It sounds to me like some sort of blend between Occitan and a Germanic language, maybe Dutch?
Is this the language of some alternate French state, perhaps a surviving Occitania?

Wow, more guesses!

It sounds to me like some sort of blend between Occitan and a Germanic language, maybe Dutch?
Is this the language of some alternate French state, perhaps a surviving Occitania?

Burgundian (the real one)?

No Occitan, no Dutch. The Burgundians might be involved, although I didn't devise that ...

Anyway, this language is not a "mix" or "blend" of two others, unless you count most languages as such. But you all are right that it has been heavily influenced by a neighbour.

Any ideas about meanings, etymology, grammar?

Nietzsche

Banned
Wow, more guesses!

No Occitan, no Dutch. The Burgundians might be involved, although I didn't devise that ...

Anyway, this language is not a "mix" or "blend" of two others, unless you count most languages as such. But you all are right that it has been heavily influenced by a neighbour.

Any ideas about meanings, etymology, grammar?

Luxembourgish?

As one short fragment is a lousy data set, here is another text:

Rhite in aun te, fasser ummenfossin,
faHtûr tihale i tizerra,
tümins vispels is invispels;
isin aun siniûr Îsu Krist,
te tite,
launn tilaunne,
te vir tite vire;
hinz nu faHz,
taun sopstanza hu fassra,
ferque ummes faHz ...

Again, this text can exist in this language.

Additional pronunciation hints:

rh: emphatic uvular r (as in French roi, frêre, but more intensive)

ü: as in German Hütte, as y in German Symbol, as u in French brut

Last edited:

Wolfpaw

Banned
Does Spanish have anything at all to do with this language?

Otherwise I'm thinking it might be Lothringen or something.

Wolfpaw

Banned
I think Catalan plays a role.

I've reasoned that ummenfossin means "human beings," so fasser ummenfossin could be "father of human beings," so Rhite in aun te, fasser ummenfossin is "We believe in one you, father of mankind," which smacks of unitarianism in this (presumably Christian) prayer.

Tizerra means "earth"

Aun siniûr Îsu Krist may mean "the lord Jesus Christ" or "one lord Jesus Christ."

Tite vire could mean "you yourself we see," so te vir tite vire is maybe "you see us watching you yourself."

Sopstanza is "substance"

Ferque ummes faHz could mean "because humans ___"

I think atreides was right in that this is some corruption/version of the Nicene Creed.

Any of this close, Herr von Ageduch?

Last edited:
Definitely the Nicene creed, more or less. A semi translation (in Spanish, sorry):

Rhite in aun te, fasser ummenfossin,
Creo en ti, padre (fasser)

faHtûr tihale i tizerra,
hacedor(factor) del cielo y la tierra

tümins vispels is invispels;
de lo visible y lo invisible

isin aun siniûr Îsu Krist,
creo en el señor Jesucristo

te tite,
tu hijo

launn tilaunne,
luz de luz

te vir tite vire;
verdadero hijo de Dios

hinz nu faHz,
engendrado no creado

taun sopstanza hu fassra,
de tu misma sustancia

ferque ummes faHz ...

So the language has Romance syntax, and many Germanic words and sounds. A romance country got VERY invaded by the barbarians!

Now we get into the details. :D So lets start:

I think it is a modified Nicene creed.

I think atreides was right in that this is some corruption/version of the Nicene Creed.

Correct! But it's not really modified ...

That's the POD?

No, not that early.

I've reasoned that ummenfossin means "human beings,"

No.

so fasser ... could be "father ...,"

Yes.

so Rhite in aun te, fasser ummenfossin is "We believe in one you, father of mankind," which smacks of unitarianism in this (presumably Christian) prayer.

Hm, not exactly like that ...

Tizerra means "earth"

Sort of.

Aun siniûr Îsu Krist may mean "the lord Jesus Christ" or "one lord Jesus Christ."

The latter one. :)

Tite vire could mean "you yourself we see," so te vir tite vire is maybe "you see us watching you yourself."

None of the above.

Sopstanza is "substance"

Right.

Ferque ummes faHz could mean "because humans ___"

No. "because" would be a valid translation, but not in this context.

Any of this close, Herr von Ageduch?

Many of these, yes ...

Last edited:

Wolfpaw

Banned
I'm thinking this may have something to do with the Carolingian era. Perhaps some sort of rump state in the southern lands of Charles the Bald or Lothair that combined Frankish and Old Occitan or Old Catalan.

Wolfpaw

Banned
Is the correct translation of farque in this context "for?"

And does ummen/ummes have any connection to "child" or "children?" I ask because the Basque word for "child" is ume and we seem to be dealing with that region of Europe.

EDIT: Wait! is ummen/ummes a possessive? Does it mean something like "ours" or "our?"