Alright, I just did some retconning for Chapter Twenty-Seven because I wanted to include some of the Loyalists who fled to Canada into power. Richard Stockton is no longer in power. I originally wasn't going to until I was thinking about who should become the new PM and some options I considered were Canadians. With an OTL Canadian in power in place of Stockton, that might influence my decision (although I am leaning towards a particular person right now). I also wanted to include an analogue to the Adams-Onin Treaty.

Last edited:
Speaking of Loyalists, I retconned Benedict Arnold (who was from my state, fun fact) so he would have a cameo during the Ten Years War on the North American front.

I wonder if having a still-British America, an aligned continental union that is a large market and a great source of resources, would preclude British imperialism and colonialism later down the line in other parts of the world, save for Britain's favored approach of holding strategic posts like Gibraltar and Singapore. Perhaps has the Cape Colony at some point, and maintain what Britain has in India? Would this also push towards the idea of Imperial Federation?

I wonder if having a still-British America, an aligned continental union that is a large market and a great source of resources, would preclude British imperialism and colonialism later down the line in other parts of the world, save for Britain's favored approach of holding strategic posts like Gibraltar and Singapore. Perhaps has the Cape Colony at some point, and maintain what Britain has in India? Would this also push towards the idea of Imperial Federation?
I suspect Britain would still push through in much of the eastern hemisphere since de-facto America will want to control its backyard (and Britain won't mind as long as profits keep coming and supplies/manpower in war) and by extent use up most of its energy colonizing all its empty lands, much like North America did in OTL both republican and loyalist. It wasn't till 1898 (!) that North American troops both American and Canadian went into the wider world for the first time (America in the Spanish-American War via the Philippines and arguably even the Caribbean, Canada into the Boer War).

Sure, there's going to be plenty of volunteers from America in various British expeditions and the profits will help, but America's gonna America and focus on itself and its home continent till it realizes it's the big boy or last man standing in some major conflict and begin acting more confident to the rest of the world.

So even having the American and Indian jewels, and the ever-present local forces pushing for expanding imperial holdings, things would look fairly the same as OTL. I agree that America would be a 'sub-empire' and have its own interests in the New World and be primarily focused on that until perhaps demanding more of an equal say in broader imperial matters worldwide.

I guess Australia and New Zealand, India, British SE Asia, and Cape Colony become Britain's focus and we see a pre-1880s British Empire as the maximum British imperial extent along with the rest of the North American continent as well driven by Anglo-Americans? What about South Africa? Would we see a scramble for Africa?

And a stronger Informal Empire in the New World.

Africa may be the place to be less than OTL, if only because Britain wants to control ports in eastern Africa for the sea lanes to India but it's got plenty on its plate already even with broad OTL strokes. So Cape Colony or at least Natal, Egypt and the Suez Canal, etc. Don't forget Britain in OTL post French and Indian War was seen as too strong a power and got knocked down a peg in the ARW - it's still got a sub-empire in America but some control and thus focus on it nonetheless and can't stretch TOO much (even being THE sea power, buttressed by American naval help). The real question for the British Empire is what happens when America genuinely becomes de-facto independent and not merely a sub-empire/dominion handling North America.

The real question for the British Empire is what happens when America genuinely becomes de-facto independent and not merely a sub-empire/dominion handling North America.
Perhaps some East/West split a la Rome and Byzantium. So the American Empire for the Americas and the British Empire for the rest of the world. Perhaps fracturing into three when the Indian Empire attains far more independence.

Eventually, in an ATL 2021, there might be a Commonwealth of America, The Federated States of India (maybe like a mega Malaysia with an elected Bahadur passed around the various Princely States of a subcontinent that was never partitioned) and then an Imperial Federation that eventually evolves into a federated British Commonwealth.

All three blocs are informally tied in some kind of Anglosphere Pact.

So even having the American and Indian jewels, and the ever-present local forces pushing for expanding imperial holdings, things would look fairly the same as OTL. I agree that America would be a 'sub-empire' and have its own interests in the New World and be primarily focused on that until perhaps demanding more of an equal say in broader imperial matters worldwide.

I guess Australia and New Zealand, India, British SE Asia, and Cape Colony become Britain's focus and we see a pre-1880s British Empire as the maximum British imperial extent along with the rest of the North American continent as well driven by Anglo-Americans? What about South Africa? Would we see a scramble for Africa?

And a stronger Informal Empire in the New World.
Right now, Britain’s focuses are on North America, Patagonia, Eastern Australia, New Zealand, and India. The Cape Colony is part of the Dutch Empire while Australia proper is partitioned between four European powers. Two chapters from now will explore it more.

Last edited:
Alright, I just did some retconning for Chapter Twenty-Seven because I wanted to include some of the Loyalists who fled to Canada into power. Richard Stockton is no longer in power. I originally wasn't going to until I was thinking about who should become the new PM and some options I considered were Canadians. With an OTL Canadian in power in place of Stockton, that might influence my decision (although I am leaning towards a particular person right now). I also wanted to include an analogue to the Adams-Onin Treaty.
So the Canadians control America, as it should be 😎

I'm on Team Independence given that the UAC is going to be the second-largest country just with the territory from OTL Canada alone. Plus anything to add more flavor to TTL North America is always a plus. Maybe get it turned into Britain's second dominion on the continent.

I'm on Team Independence given that the UAC is going to be the second-largest country just with the territory from OTL Canada alone. Plus anything to add more flavor to TTL North America is always a plus. Maybe get it turned into Britain's second dominion on the continent.
Problem is that all the settlers are coming into it from the UAC

Problem is that all the settlers are coming into it from the UAC
It's just that I don't like the sound of the UAC being a monolithic country from the Arctic Circle to the Caribbean. It's just my personal opinion. I'm admittedly inconsistent on how I view space-filling empires. Some timelines I like the concept and others I dislike it. This is one instance where I don't find the idea appealing.

It's just that I don't like the sound of the UAC being a monolithic country from the Arctic Circle to the Caribbean. It's just my personal opinion. I'm admittedly inconsistent on how I view space-filling empires. Some timelines I like the concept and others I dislike it. This is one instance where I don't find the idea appealing.
Yes but the thing is the UAC is too powerful for Britain to ignore their desires so they will end up having all the territory.

Keep in mind that this only applies to territories that the US from Mexico IOTL, not Mexico as a whole.

Deleted member 147978

Alright, since there is likely to be controversy in and out of universe in the next few updates, I am deciding to make a poll out of this now:
Hmph, it would be funny if Mexico becomes the world modern functional democratic republic ITTL as opposed to the US IOTL. Could anyone imagine political scientists in the UAC talking/contemplating about the "Mexican Experiment."

Anyone?