Fremontian Fracas: An Earlier American Civil War

Let's say Fremont wins in 1856, and the South secedes shortly thereafter due to fear of Fremont taking action against slavery. Earlier American Civil War.
What changes in this earlier American Civil War? Does the end result stay the same? Any generals that are more or less prominent?

The premise is impossible. Frémont needs 35 more electoral votes, and CA, IL, and IN have only 28. To win, he must carry PA, which OTL he lost 50%-32%, and which is Buchanan's home state.

What would have happened if Buchanan had died after the general election but before the electoral college met? I don't know the rules in place in 1856.

What would have happened if Buchanan had died after the general election but before the electoral college met? I don't know the rules in place in 1856.

On that point they were the same as today. The Democratic Electors would have to vote for another candidate.

They could vote for VP-elect Breckenridge,, and then pick someone else as VP, or possibly vote to re-elect President Pierce.

I'd say that the war is roughly balanced more or less the same as OTL, as nothing astronomically large occurred in those four years that would drastically shift the balance. As for the generals, here is what I think:
Bigger Role: John E. Wool, Edwin V. Sumner, David E. Twiggs, Samuel Cooper, Theophilus H. Holmes, Gideon J. Pillow, John B. Floyd, Charles F. Smith, maybe Winfield Scott

Smaller/No Role: George A. Custer, James B. McPherson, John B. Hood, JEB Stuart, Edward P. Alexander, Joe Wheeler, Wesley Merritt, John M. Schofield, Stephen D. Ramseur, Adelbert Ames

Wool seems like a quite capable commander, just too old for a field command OTL.

I imagine Jefferson Davis would see service as a field commander instead of political.

I'd say that the war is roughly balanced more or less the same as OTL, as nothing astronomically large occurred in those four years that would drastically shift the balance. As for the generals, here is what I think:
Bigger Role: John E. Wool, Edwin V. Sumner, David E. Twiggs, Samuel Cooper, Theophilus H. Holmes, Gideon J. Pillow, John B. Floyd, Charles F. Smith, maybe Winfield Scott

Smaller/No Role: George A. Custer, James B. McPherson, John B. Hood, JEB Stuart, Edward P. Alexander, Joe Wheeler, Wesley Merritt, John M. Schofield, Stephen D. Ramseur, Adelbert Ames
Thank you for the analysis!