Long live Carlos V and Isabel II!

May they be as successful and illustrious as the Catholic monarchs.
will admit I haven't planned that far ahead yet, but I'd like to think that anything aside from the OTL for 19th century Spain would be a major improvement. And with this one, we've at least removed the paternity question of Isabel's kids.

@Kurt_Steiner any further suggestions?

Nice wedding…
Luisa will need a serious lessons on duties and her place in life very soon
spoiler alert, but my plans for Luisa involves her being a headache for Isabel like she was OTL. Only difference is that Isabel-Carlos might not be so indulgent as Isabel-Francisco were OTL. After all, "you're letting the family down, Luisa!"

Saint Francis of reichstadg is a better saint patronum in the world 😂🤣
certainly a better one than "Saint Napoleon"
It a over 9000 Power level, ah and the dialogue on the fate of Spain as a special daughter of the church is perfect
isn't it just ironic :p? That D. Carlos - more Catholic than the pope - is so desperate to get rid of the liberals, he's willing to send them to go fight the pope. He clearly hasn't thought this one through.

Am I a bad person that one of the "liberals" who King Carlos will not be issuing a passport to is one "Jusepe Garibaldi" (or whatever his name would Spanicized to)?

will admit I haven't planned that far ahead yet, but I'd like to think that anything aside from the OTL for 19th century Spain would be a major improvement. And with this one, we've at least removed the paternity question of Isabel's kids.
That is a great thing
spoiler alert, but my plans for Luisa involves her being a headache for Isabel like she was OTL. Only difference is that Isabel-Carlos might not be so indulgent as Isabel-Francisco were OTL. After all, "you're letting the family down, Luisa!"
Poor Isabella and Carlos, then. Hopefully Luisa will NOT be able to make too much damage here
Am I a bad person that one of the "liberals" who King Carlos will not be issuing a passport to is one "Jusepe Garibaldi" (or whatever his name would Spanicized to)?
No, keep him far from doing damages… likely his name would be Josepe or Josè…

absolutist politicians as Cea Bermúdez, absolutist reformers like Javier de Burgos and moderate liberals like Francisco Martínez de la Rosa, who became the first presidente del Consejo de Ministros del Reino de España, akind to the British prime minister. He surrounded himself with more moderate liberals as José María Moscoso de Altamira, who became the spaker of the High Camera, Diego Clemencín, Ministro de Ultramar (minister of the colonies), Nicolás Garelli (minister of Justice), Felipe Sierra Pambley (Treasury) and Luis María Balznat de Orvay y Briones (War Minister).
any of these guys likely to be in the government @Drex others?
Not sure where I'm going with this yet

any of these guys likely to be in the government @Drex others?
Not sure where I'm going with this yet

So Clemencin died in 1834 already. Will need someone else as minister of the colonies.
Assuming Nicolas Garelli, Minister of Justice, is Nicolas Maria Garelli y Battifora?
Pambley's been dead since pre-POOD (1823), so need someone at the treasury. Hopefully Isabel also has a better understanding of money TTL. OTL she spent it like water
Orvay y Briones is sadly also deceased as of 1843. While he and Clemencin can still be alive (Metternich and Louis Bonaparte are roughly the same age), it would be nice to get "younger blood" in than consistently relying on "men older than the king or queen's fathers"

thanks for the feedback, but "Regent" is not the same as "Emperor"

they did a bit more than protest.

Except there is no coronation that Prussia takes as pretext. Nor is it - I imagine - the final one.

that's one way of doing it

Huh? You realize that if Frankie's alive, there's no chance for Napoléon le Petit to go with a Second Empire, right? Sure, Napoléon could still get elected president of a theoretical French republic, but with a surviving older brother and Frankie in the way (not to mention his uncle and dad), Napoléon would have zero legitimacy outside of a "regent"/"caretaker" regime for what is essentially a foreign head of state. And I doubt the French would like to be ruled from Vienna
(Apologies in advance, I honestly do not know how to multi-quote so I have to take these responses one at a time)
- Fair point. "Regent" isn't the same as "Emperor". Bottom line though, is that a Bonaparte in a position of power, even if temporary, would cause outrage across Europe. Napoleon le Petit would have to demonstrate that he's isn't as ambitious as his father, and considering his military genius, its unlikely he'd convince the rest of Europe.

- That's true. The most important stipulation of the Vienna Final Act was that if Napoleon I (or his relations) were to seize power (predominantly in France or Italy, but I;m almost certain they meant anywhere in Europe), then the Powers were to act, if necessary, by military force to remove them.

- Here, I'm confused. There is no coronation I understand...but the "Nor is it the final one" is where I'm lost.

- I'm sure there are other ways, but considering how driven the Little Napoleon was, that was the most likely path he could've taken.

- a)Its more likely that some agreement or other would be made between Nappy III and Little Napoleon. Assuming that Little Napoleon is serving in the classic Hapsburg manner of a regency until one of the archdukes is able to assume the crown, I doubt it would be much of a stretch for him to leave Austria as soon as that happens and return to France. France and Austria didn't really have terrible relations until the Sardinian minister Cavour convinced Napoleon III to back his plan to unify Italy. So if Little Napoleon (and I have to assume this is Frankie) returns to France just before the outbreak of the Sardino-Austrian War, possibly he could persuade the Austrians that an expanded Piedmont that establishes neutrality in relations to both the Austrian Empire and France would make a better buffer-zone. Italian unification would still proceed, but without the bloody conflict OR should the central Italian states vote to join Sardinia-Piedmont, Austria could attempt to challenge the plebescites on the grounds that no consultation was made with Austria beforehand. It would then be up to the Concert of Europe to decide whether Austria had legal grounds as established in the Vienna Final Act to intervene or not.

I also suggested that Napoleon III could send Little Napoleon to Mexico to create a French client-empire. Not only would this allow France an opportunity to potentially meddle in the American Civil War, but for Napoelon III, it would be a great way to remove one of his potential rivals by putting distance between them, plus the added benefit of appearing magnanimous by offering Little Napoleon a crown...just not the French one. Again, the choice of Little Napoleon over Archduke Maximilian could allow for a altered outcome for Austria-such as a delayed Ausgleich with Hungary, and may even remove Franz-Josef as a successor.

(Apologies in advance, I honestly do not know how to multi-quote so I have to take these responses one at a time)
- Fair point. "Regent" isn't the same as "Emperor". Bottom line though, is that a Bonaparte in a position of power, even if temporary, would cause outrage across Europe. Napoleon le Petit would have to demonstrate that he's isn't as ambitious as his father, and considering his military genius, its unlikely he'd convince the rest of Europe.
It's a little difficult for Europe NOT to be convinced when a) he's the "best" of a bad option, and b) he's been playing Talleyrand while Metternich and Louis Philippe have been playing Choiseul and Louis XV. Plus c) he's made friends with/allies from Lisbon to London to Paris to Naples. He's ambitious and a sort of military genius-we haven't seen him in sole command so it's a bit hard to say- yes, but he's also met most of the crowned heads he's friends with in person. While they don't all like him - see D. Miguel of Portugal or D. Carlos in the last update - they can't actually "hate" him either. Or at least, owe him a favour.
- That's true. The most important stipulation of the Vienna Final Act was that if Napoleon I (or his relations) were to seize power (predominantly in France or Italy, but I;m almost certain they meant anywhere in Europe), then the Powers were to act, if necessary, by military force to remove them.
Oh, I'm sure Metternich TRIED to use that argument. But the problem is getting them to act in concert. Even OTL this was a problem
- Here, I'm confused. There is no coronation I understand...but the "Nor is it the final one" is where I'm lost.
The final showdown between Austria and Prussia. Prussia's down, she's not "out" by any stretch of the imagination.
- I'm sure there are other ways, but considering how driven the Little Napoleon was, that was the most likely path he could've taken.
He's still driven. Even if the cartoonists satirize him as the one driving the European carriage at the moment.
- a)Its more likely that some agreement or other would be made between Nappy III and Little Napoleon.
Again, Nappy III has a father, older brother and two nephews in front of him. Doubt he'll be anything more than a footnote.
Assuming that Little Napoleon is serving in the classic Hapsburg manner of a regency until one of the archdukes is able to assume the crown, I doubt it would be much of a stretch for him to leave Austria as soon as that happens and return to France.
Why waste political capital on that when he's practically "raised" Henri de Chambord? All of the legitimacy and none of the hassle?
France and Austria didn't really have terrible relations until the Sardinian minister Cavour convinced Napoleon III to back his plan to unify Italy. So if Little Napoleon (and I have to assume this is Frankie) returns to France just before the outbreak of the Sardino-Austrian War, possibly he could persuade the Austrians that an expanded Piedmont that establishes neutrality in relations to both the Austrian Empire and France would make a better buffer-zone.
Cavour will have to go into service to Henri de Chambord then, since the Savoy have lost the entirety of their mainland holdings thanks to getting screwed over by their ally, Metternich. (it's in character, he did the same to Saxony at Vienna)
Italian unification would still proceed, but without the bloody conflict OR should the central Italian states vote to join Sardinia-Piedmont, Austria could attempt to challenge the plebescites on the grounds that no consultation was made with Austria beforehand. It would then be up to the Concert of Europe to decide whether Austria had legal grounds as established in the Vienna Final Act to intervene or not.
The Concert system is dead as the proverbial dodo. Austria's the only game in town in Italy north of the papal states. Metternich had to flee the Viennese mob after he tried to outmaneuvre Frankie by arresting him before his grandpa's funeral. Ironically, the only thing that bought Metternich the time to escape? Releasing Frankie from his jail cell and letting him calm the Viennese (say what you like, but even during his lifetime OTL the Habsburgs were wary of how popular Frankie was with the Viennese)
I also suggested that Napoleon III could send Little Napoleon to Mexico to create a French client-empire. Not only would this allow France an opportunity to potentially meddle in the American Civil War, but for Napoelon III, it would be a great way to remove one of his potential rivals by putting distance between them, plus the added benefit of appearing magnanimous by offering Little Napoleon a crown...just not the French one. Again, the choice of Little Napoleon over Archduke Maximilian could allow for a altered outcome for Austria-such as a delayed Ausgleich with Hungary, and may even remove Franz-Josef as a successor.
Things in Hungary have changed so much (courtesy of Metternich's demotion and Frankie being friends with the Palatine of Hungary's eldest son, Stephan), that the situation there is very different to OTL. And Frankie's taken a hand in raising Franz Joseph (not that weird, Franz Karl and Frankie were thick as thieves growing up OTL) so he's essentially a different person to OTL. Max hasn't made an appearance yet, but the only one of Archduchess Sophie's kids we ever see Frankie with is Franz Joseph (which I imagine, combined with the fact that Frankie has ACTUAL - illegitimate-issue hereto compare looks, will go a long way to discrediting the rumours that Max is Frankie-Sophie's love child).

The closest Frankie has come to a Mexican ambition is to send Max de Beauharnais there as a sort of "academic observer"/unofficial ambassador. Not because he wants to be emperor of Mexico but because Max is (as OTL) a geology nerd/science geek and Frankie was the Austrian minister of education. TBF, Frankie sent Max to South Africa and Brasil on similar trips. Frankie's also had similar talks with William of Weimar (nephew of Queen Adelaide of England, who died unexpectedly in 1839)about Egypt, Constantinople, Malta - same as Henri de Chambord has had talks with a surviving Marshal Ney about the Carolinas and Georgia, or with his namesake, Prince Hendrik of the Netherlands, about the Dutch East Indies and Australia. Not because they're looking to conquer it or become ruler, but because they're both curiousabout parts of the world that they'll likely never get to see.

Saint Francis of reichstadg is a better saint patronum in the world 😂🤣 It a over 9000 Power level, ah and the dialogue on the fate of Spain as a special daughter of the church is perfect
we can laugh and joke about St. Francis, but look, it's not so impossible to think, some group of madmen or something else can try to propose him for a beatification process or something else, a common thread is going to look at his actions with this idea there is, now let me explain ok: let's start from the beginning with the city of Venice (it's the care he put into improving it), then we have him who hosts and supports both the real king of France and his family in his home of the deceased emperor of Mexico, then we have the creation of a hospital in Rome itself for the most needy, without forgetting all the actions to improve the life of the people that he did in Austria (including winning a war against Prussia, only for this may already be in the odor of sanctity for a citizen of the empire) support for various ailing Catholic nations also matters here (see Texas and Spain, especially the last one where it ended a series of horrific wars) then we have the quest of the bride of the emperor of Brazil (completely successful) the reconstruction at his expense of the basilica of Cologne (the most important and oldest in Germany) then the help to return France to the true faith (supporting Henry) against the Atheist threat republican, all this if seen from a religious point of view can be interpreted as a redemption and subsequent journey in the light (we are also in a period of full spiritual rediscovery, see the great awakening in English-speaking countries). the beauty that in the years to come it has many opportunities to show more as we have in order the famines in Ireland and Lebanon, the conclave approaching, 1848, the jubilee of 1850 is to finish the restoration of the Catholic hierarchy in Great Britain and Holland. moreover, his innovative way of presenting himself is liberal in some areas but conservative in others, he can be very well seen by the two currents of the Roman church, above all if he manages to present himself as a middle ground (add to the fact that with his initiatives in the new world he will get along very well with many cardinals including Pius IX (he had experience in South America he is very much in favor of creating new missions and dioceses in the world) he was also the first pope to be seen a lot in public among the people and he proposed that the idea of episcopal journeys), therefore, however absurd, there may very well be people who can candidate him to the holy see especially if there is popular support (which he has, see Venice, Cologne, Vienna (how he behaved at grandfather's funeral? I don't remember ) and habsburg pietas ect.

P.s the Jesuit order was rehabilitated and reformed during this time, will Frankie lend his support to the idea? ( given his interest in education in general,
because for me it's a brilliant idea, now I'll explain: when the movement was dissolved by the pope under pressure from the Catholic powers, it was a huge mistake equal to gambizarsi alone because I was going to hit the system that created highly educated and above all literate people . because, as it later proved to be, recreating an educational system from scratch was a colossal undertaking, instead they could have flanked it (the Jesuits) with a public school system which, starting from the basics (which they usually took care of) would have advanced up to the universities

Last edited:
we can laugh and joke about St. Francis, but look, it's not so impossible to think, some group of madmen or something else can try to propose him for a beatification process or something else, a common thread is going to look at his actions with this idea there is, now let me explain ok: let's start from the beginning with the city of Venice (it's the care he put into improving it), then we have him who hosts and supports both the real king of France and his family in his home of the deceased emperor of Mexico, then we have the creation of a hospital in Rome itself for the most needy, without forgetting all the actions to improve the life of the people that he did in Austria (including winning a war against Prussia, only for this may already be in the odor of sanctity for a citizen of the empire) support for various ailing Catholic nations also matters here (see Texas and Spain, especially the last one where it ended a series of horrific wars) then we have the quest of the bride of the emperor of Brazil (completely successful) the reconstruction at his expense of the basilica of Cologne (the most important and oldest in Germany) then the help to return France to the true faith (supporting Henry) against the Atheist threat republican, all this if seen from a religious point of view can be interpreted as a redemption and subsequent journey in the light (we are also in a period of full spiritual rediscovery, see the great awakening in English-speaking countries).
excepting the basilica of Cologne, which is a Habsburg-German project, not Frankie's per se, that is actually a shockingly relevant point. His whole mistress/brood of illegitimate children might be another obstacle. But one that can probably be dispelled by the fact that St. Augustine also had a bastard son. As did St. Ambrose IIRC

As Che asks in Evita "why try to govern a country when you can become a saint?"

the beauty that in the years to come it has many opportunities to show more as we have in order the famines in Ireland and Lebanon, the conclave approaching, 1848, the jubilee of 1850 is to finish the restoration of the Catholic hierarchy in Great Britain and Holland. moreover, his innovative way of presenting himself is liberal in some areas but conservative in others, he can be very well seen by the two currents of the Roman church, above all if he manages to present himself as a middle ground (add to the fact that with his initiatives in the new world he will get along very well with many cardinals including Pius IX (he had experience in South America he is very much in favor of creating new missions and dioceses in the world) he was also the first pope to be seen a lot in public among the people and he proposed that the idea of episcopal journeys), therefore, however absurd, there may very well be people who can candidate him to the holy see especially if there is popular support (which he has, see Venice, Cologne, Vienna (how he behaved at grandfather's funeral?
Frankie for pope, 1848? :p
because for me it's a brilliant idea, now I'll explain: when the movement was dissolved by the pope under pressure from the Catholic powers, it was a huge mistake equal to gambizarsi alone
Gambizarsi?
because I was going to hit the system that created highly educated and above all literate people . because, as it later proved to be, recreating an educational system from scratch was a colossal undertaking, instead they could have flanked it (the Jesuits) with a public school system which, starting from the basics (which they usually took care of) would have advanced up to the universities
OTOH I could definitely see Frankie going for it. After all, one of his "clients" is Henri de Chambord's OTL wife, TTL Mother Abbess Marie Clothilde. Who he had in charge of the girls at his school in Venice. And who Henri now has "establishing similar schools in France". And Frankie has showed interest in the OTL teaching college at Bremen, and in Switzerland, although his "Saint-Cyr in Venice" is more of a continuing of the tradition of the Ospedale degli Pieta (and others) - orphanages where the girls often stayed on after finishing their education to teach the younger girls - than a convent.

But I could see Frankie - if on a strictly academic level - supporting a reform of the Jesuits. His remarks about them - Henri de Chambord's tutors - were more than ten years ago and IIRC, both men that Charles X entrusted with Henri's education were well into their sixties/seventies by the time they arrived in Prague.

I think his "support" would be very much in the line of Joseph II/Montgelas though: teaching and "hospital" orders can stay; mendicants and cloistered orders are shut down as "useless"? Like D. Miguel says, Frankie is a "sensible" and probably also a "practical" person. Frankie himself tells Victoria that "he's not throwing over tables for the hell of it".

excepting the basilica of Cologne, which is a Habsburg-German project, not Frankie's per se, that is actually a shockingly relevant point. His whole mistress/brood of illegitimate children might be another obstacle. But one that can probably be dispelled by the fact that St. Augustine also had a bastard son. As did St. Ambrose IIRC

As Che asks in Evita "why try to govern a country when you can become a saint?"

Frankie for pope, 1848? :p

Gambizarsi?

OTOH I could definitely see Frankie going for it. After all, one of his "clients" is Henri de Chambord's OTL wife, TTL Mother Abbess Marie Clothilde. Who he had in charge of the girls at his school in Venice. And who Henri now has "establishing similar schools in France". And Frankie has showed interest in the OTL teaching college at Bremen, and in Switzerland, although his "Saint-Cyr in Venice" is more of a continuing of the tradition of the Ospedale degli Pieta (and others) - orphanages where the girls often stayed on after finishing their education to teach the younger girls - than a convent.

But I could see Frankie - if on a strictly academic level - supporting a reform of the Jesuits. His remarks about them - Henri de Chambord's tutors - were more than ten years ago and IIRC, both men that Charles X entrusted with Henri's education were well into their sixties/seventies by the time they arrived in Prague.

I think his "support" would be very much in the line of Joseph II/Montgelas though: teaching and "hospital" orders can stay; mendicants and cloistered orders are shut down as "useless"? Like D. Miguel says, Frankie is a "sensible" and probably also a "practical" person. Frankie himself tells Victoria that "he's not throwing over tables for the hell of it".
I don't think that the lover and the illegitimate children represent a big problem when in the past many saints, many kings (very pious) and even popes have had the same behavior, I think their actions will be judged more because for Catholics they are more important know you were wrong and try to fix it.

In some parts of the former Habsburg empire Franz Joseph is considered a minor saint and the church has no problems.

in Italian it means to cut off one's own legs

eh what did you understand ? he pope in 1848 ! god help us 😂😂,no I mean that in the coming years he can do many things in religious matters to grow this idea among the people of him as a saint

it is more probable that he will sit down at a table with Henry, the Iberian sovereigns, the Habsburg italian cadets, Ferdinand and Louise and perhaps Prince Albert to decide at the table who are acceptable cardinals and who are not, how many must be, etc. ( maybe they choose the pope by lot playing cards, improbable and ASB but fun to imagine 🤣🤣 )

well considering that they were a new generation of Jesuits (the first after about 1760) after almost seventy years of absolute nothing and with an old teaching method, I can understand why they were in such bad shape

Last edited:
I dont see why, under the right conditions, "Frankie" becomes Austrian Emperor.
Granted the other European powers would be alarmed by this, given the fact he is the scion of a madman, but the argument could be easily made that he's also the scion of the Hapsburgs. You'd eliminate at least half the outrage right there. Of course, France would still be very peeved, but given the revolutions erupting there almost all the time, they'd be powerless to do anymore than protest. Britain would likely not press the matter further, and Russia would likely see this as a neutralizing factor vis-a-vis their designs on the Balkans and Bosporus. Prussia would be the only power still outraged (and considering the treatment they got under Napoleon's military regime, and their weak king being humiliated further, they'd be right to be outraged) and likely to use the coronation of a scion of Bonaparte and Hapsburg as a pretext to launch the final confrontation. I won't bore you with the two likiest but not exclusive outcomes, but say simply that how this final Austro-Prussian War goes will depend on geopolitical factors. It could be an early 7 Weeks War or it could be a Second Seven Years War involving France, Russia and possibly Sardinia-Piedmont and the Ottoman Empire (the rare spectacle of a Russo-Turkish combined offensive in Hungary would be a shock to the Hapsburgs for sure). Because the duration is uncertain, the outcome is also uncertain so I won't try to even guess at it.

OR

He could be the one sent to Mexico by Napoleon III in an effort to create a Mexican Empire that would be a client of the French Second Empire, thus saving Maximilian from the fate he received OTL and opening the door to a different succession to the Crown of Austria. In that sense, it would be a double achievement for Napoleon III in that Frankie shares part of the Bonaparte bloodline.
...did you really just reply to the very first post of a more than 80 pages long thread/TL? Nem semmi.

The Pope Dies, and Suddenly Everyone's Losing Their Minds...
Soundtrack: Richard Wagner - Overture to 'Rienzi'

*exterior* *Rome* *just after midday* *the Piazza degli Campidoglio* *a man crosses the square* *passing the statue of Marcus Aurelius/Constantine [1]* *he gives an involuntary shudder as a gust of wind blows through the square* *fluttering his cloak* *he carries on walking*
*we have several views of various places in the city* *everybody is going about their daily lives* *but the sound of the Campidoglio's solitary bell tolling is like an electric shock* *women - maybe nurses - on the steps of the Ospedale Ludovica, hear the bells and cross themselves before shepherding the children playing in the street inside*
*in the city's fishmarket* *people stop in the middle of what they're doing* *some even immediately close up shop in the midst of a sale*
*across the city, people look as though this is a Western and they've just announced that the crooks are coming*
*the next shot of the city shows what looks like a ghost town* *the shutters and blinds are drawn* *not a soul to be seen*

*two days later* *we see the Papal Gendarmerie taking down posters that have been pasted over the notice of the pope's death* *we catch a glimpse of the "broadsheet" they're removing* *it shows a woman - not unlike Britannia - except instead of a trident, she wields a gladium, and instead of a shield, she wields a tricolore* *an eagle flies ahead of her crying "Fratelli de Roma, l'Italia s'è desta!"*

*we see the pope's funeral procession disrupted by men throwing stones at the hearse and the horses* *one strikes a child who is killed instantly*

*cut to Modena* *Duke Francesco - dressed in mourning for his Holiness - is about to climb into his carriage when a gunshot is heard* *the duke is shown collapsing against the side of the coach* *then sliding down - leaving a bloody streak down the carriage wall - to crumple in a heap in the street*

*cut to Rome* *the anxious cardinals are filing into the Sistine Chapel for conclave*

*cut to the Palazzo Barberini - home of Danduccio, the Prince of Lucca and Clémentine d'Orléans[2]* *we see there are posters, like the gendarmes removed, strewn all about the place* *we see both their daughters - 5yo Adelaide and 3yo Luisa - running riot* *a nurse hands their year-old son, Luigi Filippo Ferdinando, to his father* *while his mother speaks to Aurelio Saffi, Carlo Armellini, Giuseppe Mazzini and Luigi Farini* *the last of whom is eagerly taking down notes of what she's saying*

*cut to Vienna* *Frankie is walking in the Prater* *alongside him are his son, Leopold, and Archduke Franz Joseph, both on horseback*
Franzi: it is terrible what happened to our cousin in Modena.
Frankie: that it is, your Imperial Highness. Sadly, that is the knife blade all kings must live under. Not all of us die in our beds.
Leopold: but they won't kill you, pappa. They tried that already.
Franzi: *smiles at his cousin* I think Onkel Klemens' favourite saying about Cousin Frankie was that "ill weeds grow apace".
Frankie: *half-smile* funny, I have a plant saying for him as well.
Franzi: one rotten apple ruins the bunch?
Leopold: the apple doesn't fall far from the tree?
Frankie: *tips his hat respectfully to a passing couple* *serious voice* and of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, you shall not eat, for in the day you eat of it, you shall surely die
*both boys burst out laughing*
Frankie: unfortunately, Onkel Klemens has eaten of the fruit. And he has been put out of the garden. And now he is doomed to wander the earth, forever regretting what he's lost.
Franzi: is that why he writes to Onkel Michei [Miguel of Portugal]? Asking to come back in.
Frankie: among other things. But aren't we fortunate that Onkel Michei forwards those letters to us?
Franzi: but I thought he and Onkel Klemens would be on the same side: disliking you.
Frankie: that is a lesson of life that is important for you to learn, Franzi. Not liking someone is no reason to collaborate with someone else who doesn't like them. Take Maxi, for example.
Franzi: *grimaces*
Frankie: Maxi didn't like being told that he couldn't come riding with us-
Franzi: Maxi doesn't like being told "no".
Frankie: I could say the same for my brother.
Franzi: the Comte Leon?
Frankie: the same. Walewski I'm told the foreign ministry finds rather useful [3]
Franzi: you always say he's not your brother.
Frankie: *smiles* I'm sure you say the same about Maxi some days too.- Now...Maxi can sit at home and plot revenge because he couldn't come with. Not unlike Onkel Klemens does at the moment. But, Maxi needs someone bigger and stronger than you to take you on, no?
Franzi: like mamma?
Frankie: or Onkel Ferdinand.
Leopold: or Oma.
Frankie: *actually looks worried at that mention* *implying that yes, he is shit scared of his grandma* or Oma. Now...which of those do you think is going to help Maxi?
Leopold: none of them
Frankie: do you know why?
Franzi: because they have nothing to gain from it.
Frankie: *nods* and that is how life works, Franzi: no matter how much you dislike someone, if someone asks you for help, you look at whether it benefits you or not.
Franzi: so what do you benefit from encouraging the duke of Parma to go to Dresden?
Frankie: what is the duke's son doing?
Franzi: working with the revolutionaries to take Rome. I hear his wife is even signing herself "Queen of Rome".
Frankie: *wryly*I must've been drunk that I don't remember the wedding. And I certainly would not marry a harridan like her even if you paid me twice that ridiculous dowry her father did.
Leopold: he'd marry mamma instead.
Frankie: *narrow look at his son*
Franzi: why don't you?
Frankie: you sound like Opa now. I will tell the pair of you as I told him. It's complicated. When you grow up, you'll understand. -as to what I'm benefitting from Parma going to Dresden...I didn't "encourage" him. Your uncle [the king of Saxony] may have just proved a tad...suggestible.
Franzi: and you did that because...
Frankie: what does it benefit Austria?
Franzi: the future king of France marries my cousin.
Frankie: *snarkily* and I can just hear the French Jacobins quaking in their boots at that. -sadly, your cousin- as much as there are some pushing for her in Paris- has the facts against her. Of her mother's siblings, three of her aunts have had no children. France currently has a king with no children... The king's father succeeded a king with no children. Do you see where this is going?
Franzi: they don't want to sit with this situation repeating in ten years.
Frankie: exactly. Now, while I am sure that in ten years, Austria will have a fine crop of archduchesses to offer...France needs an heir. The Grand Duchess' sister in Baden has already had two children by age twenty. Her mother's first child was born roughly a year after the wedding. This goes above whatever petty grievance the Queen [of France] may have against the Russians. The pope already granted the dispensation before he died. *tiredly* and honestly, if I have to deal with the Grand Duke's hypochondria for another summer, listening to all his imaginary aches and illnesses, I'll spare Onkel Klemens the work and shoot myself [4]
Franzi: and the situation in Italy?
Frankie: no doubt things will settle down once we have a new pope. Then this can be dealt with. [5]
Franzi: but aren't the liberals saying that the pope agreed to their demands before he died.
Frankie: and everyone else is saying that the liberals poisoned him because he wouldn't agree to them. To be honest...they killed that little child at his funeral. They murdered the duke of Modena...do you think anyone taking what the liberals are saying quite seriously now?
Leopold: so you're just going to do nothing?
Franzi: *looks at his cousin like "what he said"*
Frankie: different sort of nothing

*fade to black*

*cut to Rome* *we see somebody hurriedly pasting up a poster* *he runs away, the poster half peeling* *the gendarmes arrive* *they rip the poster down* *expecting it to be another of the ones they've been taking down all day* *instead it isn't* *it shows Frankie in Roman garb with a laurel wreath on his head* *in front of him, the diminutive figure of Danducciois looks more like a baby in an oversized diaper than a statesman in a toga* *behind him stand Sts. Peter and Paul* *Frankie is holding the papal tiara out of Danduccio's reach* *the caption reads: we would advise him [Parma] to not make us soil our robes, since while Rome is incapable of the noble art of self-defense, she may yet find "troops of friends" when the occasion requires- Numa Pompilius , Rex Romae[6]*

[1] the equestrian statue is said to be both
[2] the Palazzo Farnese - from what I can make out - belonged to the kings of Naples. Chalk Danduccio and Clémentine living here to the fact that, until the duque of Cadix and his children returned to Spain/Paris, Danduccio's father and aunt were both staying there.
[3] Comte Walewski going into the Austrian foreign ministry - especially if his half-brother is regent - doesn't sound that odd to me. As much as Frankie dismisses him as the "son of a carpetbagger", Walewski would be a useful "fifth column" as it were that Frankie can send on personal missions. Not unlike he does with Max de Beauharnais
[4] Grand Duke Mikhail actually did have health problems that he did seek treatment for, both at Karlsbad and Teplitz. However, given that Mikhail's often described as "curt" and having "no conversational skills", I could see that any conversation with him inevitably turns back to either the army or his aches/pains.
[5] while Frankie sounds blasé/offhand here, this is, essentially, the "pope's problem", since it's happening in the Marche/Romagna. Even if he wanted to, he can't mobilize the Austrian army
[6] this isn't Frankie using his title of king of Rome. It's him - in the guise of Numa Pompilius, the second king of Rome, renowned for his wisdom, statesmanship and piety- showing that he will not allow Danduccio to try anything. Or rather, that should Danduccio do so, he will face the consequences.

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @kaiidth @SavoyTruffle @Wendell @nathanael1234 @Fehérvári @Guatemalan Nat-Synd @Valena @maw @LordMartinax @EmmettMcFly55 @सार्थक (Sārthākā) @Nuraghe @renard_ @pandizzy @RedAquilla

Ops
Soundtrack: Richard Wagner - Overture to 'Rienzi'

*exterior* *Rome* *just after midday* *the Piazza degli Campidoglio* *a man crosses the square* *passing the statue of Marcus Aurelius/Constantine [1]* *he gives an involuntary shudder as a gust of wind blows through the square* *fluttering his cloak* *he carries on walking*
*we have several views of various places in the city* *everybody is going about their daily lives* *but the sound of the Campidoglio's solitary bell tolling is like an electric shock* *women - maybe nurses - on the steps of the Ospedale Ludovica, hear the bells and cross themselves before shepherding the children playing in the street inside*
*in the city's fishmarket* *people stop in the middle of what they're doing* *some even immediately close up shop in the midst of a sale*
*across the city, people look as though this is a Western and they've just announced that the crooks are coming*
*the next shot of the city shows what looks like a ghost town* *the shutters and blinds are drawn* *not a soul to be seen*

*two days later* *we see the Papal Gendarmerie taking down posters that have been pasted over the notice of the pope's death* *we catch a glimpse of the "broadsheet" they're removing* *it shows a woman - not unlike Britannia - except instead of a trident, she wields a gladium, and instead of a shield, she wields a tricolore* *an eagle flies ahead of her crying "Fratelli de Roma, l'Italia s'è desta!"*

*we see the pope's funeral procession disrupted by men throwing stones at the hearse and the horses* *one strikes a child who is killed instantly*

*cut to Modena* *Duke Francesco - dressed in mourning for his Holiness - is about to climb into his carriage when a gunshot is heard* *the duke is shown collapsing against the side of the coach* *then sliding down - leaving a bloody streak down the carriage wall - to crumple in a heap in the street*

*cut to Rome* *the anxious cardinals are filing into the Sistine Chapel for conclave*

*cut to the Palazzo Barberini - home of Danduccio, the Prince of Lucca and Clémentine d'Orléans[2]* *we see there are posters, like the gendarmes removed, strewn all about the place* *we see both their daughters - 5yo Adelaide and 3yo Luisa - running riot* *a nurse hands their year-old son, Luigi Filippo Ferdinando, to his father* *while his mother speaks to Aurelio Saffi, Carlo Armellini, Giuseppe Mazzini and Luigi Farini* *the last of whom is eagerly taking down notes of what she's saying*

*cut to Vienna* *Frankie is walking in the Prater* *alongside him are his son, Leopold, and Archduke Franz Joseph, both on horseback*
Franzi: it is terrible what happened to our cousin in Modena.
Frankie: that it is, your Imperial Highness. Sadly, that is the knife blade all kings must live under. Not all of us die in our beds.
Leopold: but they won't kill you, pappa. They tried that already.
Franzi: *smiles at his cousin* I think Onkel Klemens' favourite saying about Cousin Frankie was that "ill weeds grow apace".
Frankie: *half-smile* funny, I have a plant saying for him as well.
Franzi: one rotten apple ruins the bunch?
Leopold: the apple doesn't fall far from the tree?
Frankie: *tips his hat respectfully to a passing couple* *serious voice* and of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, you shall not eat, for in the day you eat of it, you shall surely die
*both boys burst out laughing*
Frankie: unfortunately, Onkel Klemens has eaten of the fruit. And he has been put out of the garden. And now he is doomed to wander the earth, forever regretting what he's lost.
Franzi: is that why he writes to Onkel Michei [Miguel of Portugal]? Asking to come back in.
Frankie: among other things. But aren't we fortunate that Onkel Michei forwards those letters to us?
Franzi: but I thought he and Onkel Klemens would be on the same side: disliking you.
Frankie: that is a lesson of life that is important for you to learn, Franzi. Not liking someone is no reason to collaborate with someone else who doesn't like them. Take Maxi, for example.
Franzi: *grimaces*
Frankie: Maxi didn't like being told that he couldn't come riding with us-
Franzi: Maxi doesn't like being told "no".
Frankie: I could say the same for my brother.
Franzi: the Comte Leon?
Frankie: the same. Walewski I'm told the foreign ministry finds rather useful [3]
Franzi: you always say he's not your brother.
Frankie: *smiles* I'm sure you say the same about Maxi some days too.- Now...Maxi can sit at home and plot revenge because he couldn't come with. Not unlike Onkel Klemens does at the moment. But, Maxi needs someone bigger and stronger than you to take you on, no?
Franzi: like mamma?
Frankie: or Onkel Ferdinand.
Leopold: or Oma.
Frankie: *actually looks worried at that mention* *implying that yes, he is shit scared of his grandma* or Oma. Now...which of those do you think is going to help Maxi?
Leopold: none of them
Frankie: do you know why?
Franzi: because they have nothing to gain from it.
Frankie: *nods* and that is how life works, Franzi: no matter how much you dislike someone, if someone asks you for help, you look at whether it benefits you or not.
Franzi: so what do you benefit from encouraging the duke of Parma to go to Dresden?
Frankie: what is the duke's son doing?
Franzi: working with the revolutionaries to take Rome. I hear his wife is even signing herself "Queen of Rome".
Frankie: *wryly*I must've been drunk that I don't remember the wedding. And I certainly would not marry a harridan like her even if you paid me twice that ridiculous dowry her father did.
Leopold: he'd marry mamma instead.
Frankie: *narrow look at his son*
Franzi: why don't you?
Frankie: you sound like Opa now. I will tell the pair of you as I told him. It's complicated. When you grow up, you'll understand. -as to what I'm benefitting from Parma going to Dresden...I didn't "encourage" him. Your uncle [the king of Saxony] may have just proved a tad...suggestible.
Franzi: and you did that because...
Frankie: what does it benefit Austria?
Franzi: the future king of France marries my cousin.
Frankie: *snarkily* and I can just hear the French Jacobins quaking in their boots at that. -sadly, your cousin- as much as there are some pushing for her in Paris- has the facts against her. Of her mother's siblings, three of her aunts have had no children. France currently has a king with no children... The king's father succeeded a king with no children. Do you see where this is going?
Franzi: they don't want to sit with this situation repeating in ten years.
Frankie: exactly. Now, while I am sure that in ten years, Austria will have a fine crop of archduchesses to offer...France needs an heir. The Grand Duchess' sister in Baden has already had two children by age twenty. Her mother's first child was born roughly a year after the wedding. This goes above whatever petty grievance the Queen [of France] may have against the Russians. The pope already granted the dispensation before he died. *tiredly* and honestly, if I have to deal with the Grand Duke's hypochondria for another summer, listening to all his imaginary aches and illnesses, I'll spare Onkel Klemens the work and shoot myself [4]
Franzi: and the situation in Italy?
Frankie: no doubt things will settle down once we have a new pope. Then this can be dealt with. [5]
Franzi: but aren't the liberals saying that the pope agreed to their demands before he died.
Frankie: and everyone else is saying that the liberals poisoned him because he wouldn't agree to them. To be honest...they killed that little child at his funeral. They murdered the duke of Modena...do you think anyone taking what the liberals are saying quite seriously now?
Leopold: so you're just going to do nothing?
Franzi: *looks at his cousin like "what he said"*
Frankie: different sort of nothing

*fade to black*

*cut to Rome* *we see somebody hurriedly pasting up a poster* *he runs away, the poster half peeling* *the gendarmes arrive* *they rip the poster down* *expecting it to be another of the ones they've been taking down all day* *instead it isn't* *it shows Frankie in Roman garb with a laurel wreath on his head* *in front of him, the diminutive figure of Danducciois looks more like a baby in an oversized diaper than a statesman in a toga* *behind him stand Sts. Peter and Paul* *Frankie is holding the papal tiara out of Danduccio's reach* *the caption reads: we would advise him [Parma] to not make us soil our robes, since while Rome is incapable of the noble art of self-defense, she may yet find "troops of friends" when the occasion requires- Numa Pompilius , Rex Romae[6]*

[1] the equestrian statue is said to be both
[2] the Palazzo Farnese - from what I can make out - belonged to the kings of Naples. Chalk Danduccio and Clémentine living here to the fact that, until the duque of Cadix and his children returned to Spain/Paris, Danduccio's father and aunt were both staying there.
[3] Comte Walewski going into the Austrian foreign ministry - especially if his half-brother is regent - doesn't sound that odd to me. As much as Frankie dismisses him as the "son of a carpetbagger", Walewski would be a useful "fifth column" as it were that Frankie can send on personal missions. Not unlike he does with Max de Beauharnais
[4] Grand Duke Mikhail actually did have health problems that he did seek treatment for, both at Karlsbad and Teplitz. However, given that Mikhail's often described as "curt" and having "no conversational skills", I could see that any conversation with him inevitably turns back to either the army or his aches/pains.
[5] while Frankie sounds blasé/offhand here, this is, essentially, the "pope's problem", since it's happening in the Marche/Romagna. Even if he wanted to, he can't mobilize the Austrian army
[6] this isn't Frankie using his title of king of Rome. It's him - in the guise of Numa Pompilius, the second king of Rome, renowned for his wisdom, statesmanship and piety- showing that he will not allow Danduccio to try anything. Or rather, that should Danduccio do so, he will face the consequences.

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @kaiidth @SavoyTruffle @Wendell @nathanael1234 @Fehérvári @Guatemalan Nat-Synd @Valena @maw @LordMartinax @EmmettMcFly55 @सार्थक (Sārthākā) @Nuraghe @renard_ @pandizzy @RedAquilla
the focus on Frankie's cartoon is fantastic and the papal tiara held high as if to say try to take it? the conclave promises to be very high-voltage, it will be fun, I'm a little sorry for Modena, only for the son who lost his father in a bad way. All this together with the machinations Orleans in Emilia gives me a feeling of traveling back in time to the early Renaissance and I like this a lot 😁

with the liberals/Orleans in the role of the Borgias or Della Roveres, Frankie in the role of Lorenzo the magnificent and above all Franzi in the role of the future Charles V at a young age, we just need to figure out who will be the new pope? it will be a Julius II or an Adrian VI or perhaps a Gregorius Magnum

Danduccio is the new Sciarrà Colonna? (the one who is said to have slapped Boniface VIII)

Last edited:
Well, italy is up in flames.
Not a fiery conflagration yet, but certainly fire warnings have been issued by the local weather service :p
And frankie does what he does best: Look and wait for the moment to act.
I think that - like Ferdinando of Naples - he might have offered a regiment or two to the pope to extinguish this blaze before it set fire to the whole edifice, but the problem is - as pointed out - he is gambizarsi'd: the Papal States is not Austrian territory. And aside from the new Francesco V of Modena at Milan and Archduke Friedrich with the Austrian navy at Genoa, he might not know which Habsburgs in the peninsula he can rely on. Leopoldo II is anyone's guess- after all, in 1848 he marched against the Austrians as well.

Speaking of, Francesco V is going to leave a chair open for a new governor when he moves from Milan back to Modena.

Ops

the focus on Frankie's cartoon is fantastic and the papal tiara held high as if to say try to take it?
perhaps. Or perhaps- given how Danduccio is portrayed (a giant baby)- not dissimilar to a parent withholding a treat from a child unless they behave. After all, Frankie is "innocent" of firstly, depriving Danduccio of Parma - that was Metternich's doing - and secondly, if Clémentine is styling herself "Queen of Rome", that implies Danduccio is king, and the "job" of the "king of Rome [the Romans]" was to protect the church. Even if various emperors chafed under the pope.
the conclave promises to be very high-voltage, it will be fun
that is very true. I almost wonder if, given the state of Rome, we might not say one of two things: we either have two conclaves- with the "non Italian" cardinals being barred access to the city, and thus assembling at say...Florence or Gaeta. -or that we have a scenario where the conclave vote is declared invalid due to pressure from the mob (after all, both scenarios have precedents in church history).

, I'm a little sorry for Modena, only for the son who lost his father in a bad way.
I'll admit the choice was between Leopoldo II and Francesco IV. And I figured the "archconservative" Francesco would be a more likely candidate than the "liberal when it suits him" Leopoldo II. Also, Francesco IV dying a few months earlier doesn't really change "much" in either the short or the long term. Same as Pope Gregory dying earlier doesn't really change "much" beyond adding to the instability.
All this together with the machinations Orleans in Emilia gives me a feeling of traveling back in time to the early Renaissance and I like this a lot 😁
glad to hear it
with the liberals/Orleans in the role of the Borgias or Della Roveres, Frankie in the role of Lorenzo the magnificent and above all Franzi in the role of the future Charles V at a young age, we just need to figure out who will be the new pope? it will be a Julius II or an Adrian VI or perhaps a Gregorius Magnum
Not sure if the conclave will go as OTL or we'll see another candidate elected. After all, Frankie will not be the only foreign ruler with papal veto- Henri in France and Carlos in Spain have ones as well, don't they?
Danduccio is the new Sciarrà Colonna? (the one who is said to have slapped Boniface VIII)
no doubt his hyper-Catholic mother would be horrified at the comparison if Frankie were to make it. After all, that's part of why Frankie is as "blasé" in responding. FWIG, he and Goodinand/Goodinand's wife got on very well OTL. Danduccio is Goodinand's nephew by marriage. Which makes this a sort of "family drama writ large". While Frankie is regent of Austria, I do suspect he doesn't do shit without running it past Goodinand first (otherwise, he's just Metternich in all but name). Which means he might find his hands "tied" about "how much" he can do.

Summertime Christmas [1]
For @The_Most_Happy, seems we're at year end already (and it's only March :winkytongue:)

Soundtrack: José Maurício Nunes Garcia - Te Deum daß Matinas de São Pedro

*Chapel Royal of Versailles* *we see Henri kneeling at the altar before the archbishop of Lyons* *alongside him kneels la Belle Françoise [Francisca of Brasil]* *the pair exchange rings under the eyes of most of the French court* *Madame Royal - decked out in her mother's jewels - seems to be one of those people biting on her tongue not to say something* *Caroline de Berri, OTOH, looks like she's going to cry*
Louise d'Artois: is everything alright, maman?
Caroline: *sniffs* think it must've been something in my eye.
Louise: *nods* *turns to Ferdinando* *who looks a bit "overawed" at the grandeur of the chapel - Revolution or no* she always cries at weddings.
Ferdinando: *grunts as he looks at the Austrian ambassador, Comte Bombelles, and his wife, Dowager Empress Marie Louise* and what would Sleeping Beauty's christening be without the bad fairy.
King Louis: when her son is the one escorting the bride, it looks poor to exclude her from the ceremony [2].

*cut to Rio de Janeiro* *the Paço de São Cristóvão* *D. Pedro II is sitting in the council chamber with the ministers* *a footman comes in with a silver tray and a card* *hands it to the emperor*
Pedro: *takes it* *reads* *rises to his feet*
*the ministers all rise*
Pedro: gentlemen, let's adjourn for the day. The empress labours on far more...pressing concerns than we do *small smile*
*some of the ministers cross themselves* *others we can see are calculating how much they'll make at the stock market depending on their bet[3]*
Pedro: *calling* Rafael [4]
Rafael: *obligingly follows "his boy"*

*cut to the Empress' bedchamber, the candles are burning low* *Pedro II is clearly getting anxious* *he's pacing restlessly* *the Prince de Joinville looks frankly bored* *he keeps checking his watch* *or his finger nails* *Rafael is hovering alongside the emperor* *trying to urge him to sit down*
*the door opens* *the Dowager Empress, Amélie de Beauharnais, exits*
Pedro: *looks at her* *hurries over* is she alright, mama [5]?
Amélie: *reassuringly* nothing to worry about. It's the first child...they always take the longest.
Joinville: says a woman who has only had one child
Amélie: *draws herself up at him* and how many of your mother's labours were you witness to, your Serene Highness? *poisonously* certainly none of your wife's.
Pedro: *yawning* don't bicker, you two.
Amélie: *returns to the room*

*time lapse* *more pacing* *more unfunny jokes from Joinville [6]* *finally, we see the sky is getting light out* *the servants are coming around to snuff out the candles when the accoucheur exits the bedroom* *with a bundle in his arms*
Pedro: *looks at him expectantly*
Accoucheur: *kneels* your Majesty, may I present, your newest subject, His Imperial Highness, the Prince of Grão Para *offers the baby*
Pedro: *looks half stunned*
*servants and ministers - half asleep, half-alert - hear "His Imperial Highness" and start applauding*
Pedro: *awkwardly takes his son from the accoucheur* *looks down at the baby* *absently, to the accoucheur* you are as welcome this Christmas as if you were the angels appearing to the shepherds, sir.
*turns to Rafael*
Pedro: *half choked with emotion* Dada, may I present your grandson to you.
Rafael: *puts his head to Pedro's* may he be the first of many, your Majesty. *hoarsely* long live the emperor!

*cut to Auguste lying on the bed*
Footman: His Majesty, the Emperor of Brasil.
*Pedro enters, followed by Rafael and Amélie*
Auguste: *struggles to sit up* your Majesties.
*Pedro walks over to the bed* *kisses her forehead*
Pedro: you are well, Gustl?
Auguste: is it a boy, your Majesty?
Pedro: *calmly ignores the question* *awaits for the answer to his*
Auguste: *looks on the verge of tears* its a girl.
Pedro: *beckons Rafael over* *takes his son from the man* *sits on the bed beside Auguste* its the hope of a nation, Madame. *shows her the baby*
*scene ends with her sobbing with joy into his shoulder* *Pedro, Rafael and Amélie scarcely look any more composed*

*cut to town on the Austro-Russian border in Poland* *we see a great cavalcade of coaches approaching* *in Austrian military uniform are several archdukes* *the Archdukes Albrecht, Karl Ferdinand, Stephan, as well as Ferdinando d'Este, Governor of Galicia, his wife, Archduchess Maria Karoline (Albrecht and Karl Ferdinand's sister)* *talking to Stephan and Albrecht, nonchalantly smoking a cigarette, is Frankie* *he's not in military uniform, but rather in an ancien regime chamberlain's outfit we've seen him wear before* *at both his uncle's coronation as king of Lombardy and his grandfather's jubilee*
*the cavalcade of carriages - escorted by soldiers - rumbles to a stop*
*Frankie opens the door of the second carriage*
Frankie: your Imperial Highnesses, I bid you welcome to Austria. *offers his hand*
Elizabeth Mikhailovna: *stepping down from the carriage* *followed by her mother and father*
Grand Duke Mikhail: *looks around at archdukes* what are all these men doing here?
Frankie: *bows* a sign of the emperor's high esteem for both his Majesty, Emperor Nikolai, and as gesture of good will towards his Most Christian Majesty, the king of France and Navarre. *innocently* were your Imperial Highnesses not informed?
Grand Duchess Charlotte: *smoothly* we were not, your Serene Highness, but we are most grateful to accept your escort.
Frankie: *to Grand Duke Mikhail* so long as the Russian soldiers stay on their side of the border.
Mikhail: *looks sulky* *but relents* [7]
Frankie: Standejsky... See that the luggage is transferred to our carriages.
Standejsky: *barking orders*
Frankie: *offers arm to Elizabeth Mikhailovna* *leads her to a very fancy carriage, a duplicate of the carriage his mother rode to her wedding* a gift from the Emperor of Austria to the future Queen of France. He hopes that your journey to the Rhine will be quite comfortable. *motions to another, no less fancy carriage, for the Grand Duke and Duchess*

*fade to black*

[1] title of an Afrikaans poem/song "Somerkersfees".
My screwy translation:
Welcome oh silent night of peace,
Under the Southern Cross,
While voices out of the past [i.e the prophets foretelling the birth of Christ]
Rustle across the heavens.
Christmas is comingx2
To God be the glory,
Give us a clear summertime Christmas,
In this land, O God

[2] note, Henri and Francisca are not getting married. It's a proxy ceremony. Frankie will be returning to (at least) the French border shortly
[3] typical gambling on the birth of a royal (or in this case) imperial heir.
[4]
9v2llg3kewa71.png

^This is Rafael^. Nicknamed the "Black Angel", he died at age 98,the day after the republican coup removed Pedro II from power. He arrived at the gates of the imperial palace that day, heard two soldiers on duty shout "Long live the republic!", then continued his walk, thinking nothing of it, to the library. There the librarian Raposo was walking up and down in a state of extreme agitation. Rafael asked what was wrong, and Raposo asked if he had not heard that the republic had been proclaimed and the emperor was at the Paço de Cidade. Rafael replied he hadn't then "may the curse of God fall upon the heads of the executioners of my boy [it was how Rafael spoke of Pedro]!" Then he fell over and died.
[5] how Pedro referred to her OTL as well
[6] Joinville is nervous. And his "unfunny jokes" aren't helping the situation any
[7] Frankie is exploiting a loophole in the granting of Lili passage through Austria. It may have been agreed with Nikolai that she is to have a military escort. But what Frankie is doing is stopping the Russian soldiers from crossing the border (i.e that the Austrian/German soldiers take over). Mikhail could retire in a huff to Warsaw and await confirmation from St. Petersburg that this wasn't agreed to. Or he can go back and get yelled at by his wife/brother for his stubbornness, since France will wonder why he's delaying.

Last edited: