Part 2. (Part 1 on previous page)

@Kellan Sullivan I'm not sure why you quoted that part specifically. Do you intend to butterfly away the Taiping Rebellion as well?

I mentioned the Taiping Rebellion not happening as a way to speed up the adoption of Self-Strengthening policies for a specific reason.
At the time the Taiping kicked off, China had been in the grips of a fiscal crisis for 30 years, but that crisis was going to die down once Mexican silver started flowing into China again in the mid-1850s. The Taiping Rebellion ruined that by devastating much of China and forcing the Qing to spend lots of money suppressing the rebellion.

Emperor Xianfeng, and Daoguang before him, fully accepted that China's defeat in the Opium War had been caused by technological inferiority, but they believed that the fiscal crisis would have to be solved first no matter what. Their attempts failed because they did not address the actual problem, which was an abrupt drop in imports of silver dollars from Mexico in the 1820s. Here is a post discussing why China was so dependent on Mexican dollars. Most importantly, they were not anti-modernization, they simply believed that that issue had to be put on the back-burner while the fiscal crisis was still extant. They also believed that they could avoid another war with Britain for longer than they actually did/could, which gave them the illusion that they had enough time to solve both problems before the British returned.

Prince Gong and the Self-Strengthening Movement believed otherwise. They believed the British intended to take more Chinese territory after Hong Kong, and that they would inevitably come back for more - for Guangdong province, to be specific. Thus, China had to modernize its military as fast as possible so it could beat Britain the next time. In 1850, this view was already held by many literati (bureaucrat-class people) in China, though it was nowhere near a majority; by 1860, it was the distinct majority.

All this is to say that if the fiscal crisis clears up in the 1850s and there is no Taiping Rebellion to prolong it and make things worse, Xianfeng would be the emperor to start modernization efforts.

Last edited:
The Man In The Iron Mask[1]
Soundtrack: Nicolai: Wie lieblich sind deine Wohnungen (Psalm 84)

*exterior* *Maxi of Austria, Fritz of Kassel, Waldemar of Prussia and Adini stop in a carriage outside of a large palace* *servants in French blue and gold livery are turned out to receive them* *we notice the mourning bands on their arms* *the *black cockade on the hat of the chamberlain who comes out to greet them*
Chamberlain: in the name of his Majesty, King Louis the Nineteenth of France and Navarre, I bid your Royal Highnesses welcome to France.
Maxi: who died?
Chamberlain: his Majesty, the former King Charles Albert, sir.
*motions to them to follow him*
*as they’re walking*
Chamberlain: his Royal Highness, the duc de Bordeaux apologizes that he is unable to receive you. He and the duchesse are currently in Lorraine.
Maxi: then why did we stop here? *lip curls in disgust* where are we?
*man walks in*
Man: this would be the Chateau de Bouilh, your Imperial Highness. My home. And yours for the duration of your stay.
Maxi: *snootily* and you are?
Man: Ferdinand Joseph, Marquis de la Roche du Maine[2], your host. Madame la Marquise will be arriving shortly. *kisses Adini’s hand* or at least, that’s what they tell me.
Maxi: *wandering over to a portrait of Louis XVI*
Ferdinand Joseph: *after greeting the others* *follows Maxi* he was the reason this chateau was built
Maxi: I thought he never left Versailles before they hauled him back to Paris.
Ferdinand Joseph: au contraire. The marquis de la Tour du Pin was the king’s final secretary of war and he stopped work on the chateau lest they believed he was embezzling state funds to build his palace in the south.
Maxi: why did he build it then? For the king to escape to?
Ferdinand Joseph: hardly. He invited the king to visit the Gironde, and his Majesty replied “Mais il n’y a aucun château pour m’y recevoir[3]!” So the marquis set to work building a new palace. Sadly, the Revolution intervened and it was never finished. Then, my half-brother was kind enough to give it to us as a wedding present.
Maxi: your brother?
Ferdinand Joseph: the duc de Bordeaux. *takes letter from his pocket* he asked me to pass this on to you.
Maxi: *takes letter* *opens it* *reads it*
Frankie: *voice over* Under no circumstances are you to return to Vienna until September. Try not to piss Henri or his aunt and uncle off as much as you annoyed the king and queen in Spain. As I have always told the girls [at the school], run nothing down. Find everything splendid and to your taste. Never say that we do this better in Vienna-
Maxi: *crumples letter in frustration[4]*

*cut to Vienna* *we see them fixing up the city for a big to-do* *we see Frankie walking around with a cloud of people following him as he directs them what he wants*
*cut to Franzi’s “office” in the Hofburg* *it looks pretty much like you’d expect a teenage boy’s room to look* *probably why nobody trusts teenage boys with their own office x'D *
Franzi: this is getting ridiculous.
Frankie: you only turn eighteen once.
Franzi: you sound old saying that.
Frankie: *sighs* fine. Don’t think of it as me getting carried away with your eighteenth. Think of it as…me getting carried away with my retirement party.
Franzi: *rolls eyes*
Frankie: look…if I don’t get carried away…Metternich and Co- *thoughtful* sounds like a bad greeting card company[5]- will think something’s up. They’ll use it as an excuse to tell the whole of Europe that I’m just like my father. And off we pop into another stupid war for twenty years.
Franzi: you’re exaggerating. The war for twenty years part?
Frankie: God I hope so. I would rather be roasting my balls in- well, perhaps when Maxi comes home next month , he can suggest some good holiday spots.
Franzi: I thought he’s in France.
Frankie: *does his best to arrange a sad face* he’s been…unfortunately…detained. After all, we wouldn’t want him to think that we’re fixing up the parades for him, now would we?
Franzi: he’s going to insist on one.
Frankie: a parade? I’m sure we can trot out some lonely guards’ regiments if need be.
Franzi: all these bells and whistles.
Frankie: why?
Franzi: you’ll never hear the end of it if he doesn’t.
Frankie: and what…pray tell…has he done to deserve it? He’s a spare. Not even one that is particularly useful like Walewski. I don’t hate him enough to compare him to Léon but…he’s been like a hog on ice, nearly causing a problem in Spain that nobody needs.
Franzi: he was talking about how wonderfully intelligent the infanta is.
Frankie: *boredly* isn’t that nice.
Franzi: apparently he’s “never met anyone like her” and “she’s different to all other girls”
Frankie: which confirms my suspicions.
Franzi: suspicions?
Frankie: a boy looks for a girl to take to bed. A man looks for a woman to wake up next to.
Franzi: you don’t think-
Frankie: if it had, I assure you if it had, we wouldn’t have been simply informed of his mischief. Spain would be sending an embassy to demand he marry her.
Franzi: *seems mollified*
Frankie: besides…if you like women, why would you want one that’s different to all the other women[6]?
Franzi: *nods*
Frankie: *tips the waste-paper basket with his cane* *we see there are a lot of folded up tissues*
Franzi: I thought I was getting a cold *blushing* I had a runny nose.
Frankie: *keeps his face serious even though he knows what it is* *nods* *snaps order for servant to empty the basket*
*as servant leaves* *there’s a knock on the door*
Franzi: enter
*Walewski comes in* *bows* *seems unsure of who to give the note to*
Frankie: *motions that he should give it to Franzi* it’ll be his job soon.
Walewski: *hands note to Franzi*
Frankie: *walks to the door, twirling his cane* let me guess. Maxi has jumped on a train from France and is notifying us of his plans to arrive the morning of your birthday?
Franzi: its your cousin-
Frankie: I have several. Most a bane of my existence. So you’ll have to be specific
Franzi: Achille [Murat]
Frankie: *boredly* what’s that canaille up to? Did a horse kick him in the head and now he’s thankfully dead?
Franzi: he’s just been elected präsident of the Berlin Republic

*fade to black*

[1] The “secret” brother to the king of France living far from Paris? Seems like an irony too good to pass up. The soundtrack, Psalm 84 "How Beautiful Are Thy Dwellings", refers to both Maxi's desires to return to Vienna as well as the physical reality of the French chateau
[2] Also known as one of Henri’s OTL half-brothers. Through his mother was the daughter of the last marquis de la Roche du Maine and his Verneuil wife, and further related to the Rohan, the Rohans, the Rochefoucaulds and the de la Tour du Pin (original owners/builders of the chateau in question- they sold it in 1839 OTL). His TTL wife is Anne Éve Mortier, daughter of the 2e Duc de Trévise and Anne Lecomte (heiress to a tobacconist’s fortune). The Lecomtes made their fortune off tobacco before the Revolution, then made a second fortune off trade out of Brittany during the reign of Napoléon. That they were political pets of Fouché meant that the Napoléonic government turned a blind eye. The Lecomtes became so rich that they were able to buy up several chateaux (including the marquis’ Paris “home”, the chateau de Sceaux). Ergo, Henri’s half-brother has both a title and a fortune.
Anne Éve Mortier was a favourite dame du palais to Empress Eugènie- and I could see her filling a similar role to Élisabeth Mikhailovna- both because she was apparently “a most interesting and amiable woman” and because she was one of those people that if an author were to write her, we’d say she’s “too good to be true”. She also had some wit, since they asked her one day what she would do if she ever found out her husband was unfaithful, she said “I should die of surprise I would be so astonished”.
[3] But there is no chateau to receive me
[4] Let’s face it, he’s a teenager who’s just found out he’s been ratted out that he misbehaved. And so- knows that he’s in for it when he gets home. Especially since Frankie has told him – not until September, i.e. his brother will be the one tasked with punishing him
[5] Metter (nice)+nicht (not), Prince “Not Nice”
[6] This isn’t so much “relativism” as simply undercutting Maxi’s choice of words

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Zygmunt Stary @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @kaiidth @SavoyTruffle @Wendell @Fehérvári @Guatemalan Nat-Synd @Valena @maw @LordMartinax @EmmettMcFly55 @Sarthak @Nuraghe @renard_ @JustinTexas @monteirobert @Nightbrainzzz @KingRevolt @Project98 @VB.rainer @KingRevolt @King of Danes @Hafiz van Gresik @nathanael1234

Last edited:
Part 2. (Part 1 on previous page)

@Kellan Sullivan I'm not sure why you quoted that part specifically. Do you intend to butterfly away the Taiping Rebellion as well?

I mentioned the Taiping Rebellion not happening as a way to speed up the adoption of Self-Strengthening policies for a specific reason.
At the time the Taiping kicked off, China had been in the grips of a fiscal crisis for 30 years, but that crisis was going to die down once Mexican silver started flowing into China again in the mid-1850s. The Taiping Rebellion ruined that by devastating much of China and forcing the Qing to spend lots of money suppressing the rebellion.

Emperor Xianfeng, and Daoguang before him, fully accepted that China's defeat in the Opium War had been caused by technological inferiority, but they believed that the fiscal crisis would have to be solved first no matter what. Their attempts failed because they did not address the actual problem, which was an abrupt drop in imports of silver dollars from Mexico in the 1820s. Here is a post discussing why China was so dependent on Mexican dollars. Most importantly, they were not anti-modernization, they simply believed that that issue had to be put on the back-burner while the fiscal crisis was still extant. They also believed that they could avoid another war with Britain for longer than they actually did/could, which gave them the illusion that they had enough time to solve both problems before the British returned.

Prince Gong and the Self-Strengthening Movement believed otherwise. They believed the British intended to take more Chinese territory after Hong Kong, and that they would inevitably come back for more - for Guangdong province, to be specific. Thus, China had to modernize its military as fast as possible so it could beat Britain the next time. In 1850, this view was already held by many literati (bureaucrat-class people) in China, though it was nowhere near a majority; by 1860, it was the distinct majority.

All this is to say that if the fiscal crisis clears up in the 1850s and there is no Taiping Rebellion to prolong it and make things worse, Xianfeng would be the emperor to start modernization efforts.
thank you for that summation. I'll admit that I'm not too well-read on the scenario and didn't want to "blunder into" things going as OTL when things could've been done differently. I doubt that the Mexican-American War will still be ongoing into 1850, so I suspect the fiscal crisis might be over sooner than later.

thank you for that summation. I'll admit that I'm not too well-read on the scenario and didn't want to "blunder into" things going as OTL when things could've been done differently. I doubt that the Mexican-American War will still be ongoing into 1850, so I suspect the fiscal crisis might be over sooner than later.
Oh, this was going on since Mexican independence in 1821. The Mexican-American War's relation to it is that it caused the Centralist government to be overthrown and, despite one last hurrah by Santa Anna in 1853, ushered in a new regime which reformed a whole range of problems that had been festering since the Revolution, including those which had caused the quality of the silver dollar to go down the toilet.

Anyway, glad to be of help. :)

Last edited:
Great chapter! Franzie will have big shoes to fill as the new regent!
hopefully he won't have a Frankie type regency where everyone is trying to undermine him tho
And the murats once more in a poisiton of authority!
Is it so? Does being the Head of State of Revolutionary Prussia come alongside authority?
bearing in mind that Achille has been a Prussian political prisoner (for stupidly trying to claim the grand duchy of Berg. From the Prussians. Who he was allied with)...I suspect his "election" maybe an attempt by the republic to get Frankie to back down. Kinda a "look, we elected your cousin". Problem is that Achille hates Frankie for several reasons. First is that Frankie- as head of house- refused to back him in going up against his uncle Joseph in claiming money he felt he was owed. Then Frankie "screwed" him again since he hasn't lifted a finger to get him out of his imprisonment. In reality, Frankie might not have really been concerned about his cousin, whom even Napoléon le Petit and his brother regarded as a "hothead".
Let's see of achiles has the charisma and fortitude of his father, if he does, he could make it so.

[T]he oldest son, who is called Prince Achille, gives vent, even at the table and before his mother, who tolerates it, to a ridiculous rage against France.

This young man, scarcely sixteen, is already as tall and strong as a man of twenty-five. He says, ‘I am not French, and I will never be. I am an Italian, and I shall always be an Italian. My mother believed, if my father had died when he was with the army, that she would be queen, but as soon as the news had arrived I should have shut her up in the chateau of St. Elmo. She would have been all right there, and I would have proclaimed myself king.’

The tone of this young man is altogether coarse. He speaks without reflecting. It is said that his health is ruined by debauchery. He gets drunk in the bosom of the family. From all one can gather, he has plenty of courage.

Notwithstanding his lack of military experience, he thought he could lead the Spanish and Portuguese liberals, establish a glorious reputation for himself, and vindicate the Murat name. By the time Achille reached Gibraltar, it was clear that the liberals would be defeated (see my post about the 1823 French invasion of Spain). Instead he published a pamphlet in Liverpool entitled “On the Revolution of Spain in its Relation to Revolution in General.” This attacked reactionary governments and praised revolutions as necessary for the advance of human progress.
In 1830 he had published a book on the United States for a European audience, called Lettres sur les États-Unis. He now expanded his thoughts into a second book on American society and American government: Esquisse Morale et Politique des Etats-Unis de l’Amerique du Nord (1832). The books were popular enough to be translated into English, German, Dutch and Swedish.
Per no less a commentator than Lafayette, who met him in Georgia:
Far from imitating so many fallen kings, who never learn how to console themselves for the loss of their former power, Achille Murat has become a cultivator, has preserved his name without any title, and by his frank, and altogether republican manners, has rapidly conciliated the regard of all who know him. He possesses a cultivated mind, and a heart filled with the most noble and generous emotions. For the memory of his father he cherishes a profound and melancholy veneration.
So he has the brains to make a go of it, provided he learned some temperance in jail (which, probably saved his life since OTL
After this, Achille apparently gave himself up to drink and sloth. Prince Achille Murat died on April 15, 1847 at the age of 46.
But had he lived to the Second Empire, I suspect he and Plon-Plon would've driven Napoléon le Petit mad.
Metternich is gonna have a field day amogst his anti-Frankie groupies with this.
I daresay even Wilhelm of Prussia is likely to send Frankie a missive with "WTF Frankie?"

hopefully he won't have a Frankie type regency where everyone is trying to undermine him tho
Hopefully not.
bearing in mind that Achille has been a Prussian political prisoner (for stupidly trying to claim the grand duchy of Berg. From the Prussians. Who he was allied with)...I suspect his "election" maybe an attempt by the republic to get Frankie to back down. Kinda a "look, we elected your cousin". Problem is that Achille hates Frankie for several reasons. First is that Frankie- as head of house- refused to back him in going up against his uncle Joseph in claiming money he felt he was owed. Then Frankie "screwed" him again since he hasn't lifted a finger to get him out of his imprisonment. In reality, Frankie might not have really been concerned about his cousin, whom even Napoléon le Petit and his brother regarded as a "hothead".
Let's hope this doesnt screw things up too much for frankie, franzie and austria as a whole

Oh Maxi 😮‍💨 thank you for continuing to prove that Mama's boys never live up to Mama's expectations lol
TBF, Sopherl certainly doesn't have the "high opinion" she did of him OTL, since, let's face it, Frankie separating them by packing Maxi off to sea probably "cut the cord" a bit. So Maxi's in for a shock when he comes home and finds that Mama has transferred her affection to Franzi/daughters.

Also, I don't think Maxi's a whiny bastard, despite how he comes across. I think if he were, Frankie would simply have ordered him home (same way his dad did to Jérôme). He's a teenager. Doing stupid teenage shit. And then getting moody when he "gets caught out". Infanta Luisa talking to him might have actually been the first time anyone's spoken to him as an "equal". While he's the highest ranked person on ship, he's still a teenager. So likely he gets excluded from all the grown-up conversations (or petted on the head for his opinions).

On the plus side, despite the fact that I've never shown it, Frankie has actually seen to it that Maxi has received both discipline and actual training (no doubt keeping up with the reports on them). So, moody teenager he may be, but he's also learned far more about the sea/seamanship/sailing than he did OTL. OTL, despite the fact he was in the navy, I get the impression he wasn't really any sort of "competent" as a sailor. Sad to say, but George V or Georg Alexandrovich, even Wilhelm II, may have been better sailors. There's no records that he was actually in command in anything more than name, Maxi strikes me as the sort who went into the navy as a fashion statement. So TTL he is actually a "sailor prince".
Also, Berlin did what.
And the Murat's do be like that, we all know how his father was.
My idea is that they elected Murat - an ex-political prisoner, former American, and self-proclaimed democrat (both small and large 'D') - because he's probably the only one of the candidates who actually has any experience of a functioning democracy. The closest the rest might've been is France or Switzerland. He's getting in because he's "royal enough" for the conservatives, but the commons/liberals see him as "one of theirs". He might be the "black sheep" of the family, but he's also, ironically, one of the "more capable". His personal body-odor aside (he wasn't overly fond of washing and would wear boots until they fell apart- and then fix them himself*), the man was ballsy enough to stand for government in the USofA (although sources vary on whether this was for a seat in congress, the governorship of Florida or some other post), so he "knows" how to run a campaign. Plus, there might be a lot of people who see what Frankie did for Austria and think that Murat can be "their Frankie". As for his more...out there...ideas (like his weird culinary skills and dietary habits- he had a special penchant for alligator meat)...most Berliners are like "better him than the one before" [Friedrich Wilhelm IV].

*i.e. the common touch
Where is Archduke Charles in all of this?
Which Archduke Charles? Teschen is dead as of Chapter And Lo! A Sacred Fury. And per the Chapter May All The Factious Troubles Cease the only members of the family titled "archduke" are Franzi/his brothers, and the eldest of the cadet lines (so, Archduke Albrecht, Duke of Teschen and Archduke Stephen, Palatine of Hungary, vs their younger brothers Karl Ferdinand of Teschen or Joseph, Dukes of Austria).

If you are referring to Franzi-Maxi's brother, he's Archduke Ludwig TTL (and Franzi's youngest OTL brother doesn't exist), since he has the duc d'Angoulême as godfather (thanks to the Bourbons-in-exile being more "integrated" into the Habsburg court circle courtesy of Frankie). That said, he'd currently be 15yo, so I have no doubt Frankie has...plans...for him. But for now, I'll admit that I'm not entirely sure what those plans should be.

I considered taking a leaf out of @Tarabas ' book and letting Ludwig go into the artillery, becoming a bit of the family gun nut (there's a Habsburg history of weird obsessions). Or maybe he becomes the family conscientious objector? Like I say, not entirely sure

@The_Most_Happy @Fehérvári @Jan Olbracht @isabella

The Trans-Atlantic Alliance
@Anarch King of Dipsodes @TheHedgehog I'm not sure who Clay would appoint as ambassador to France, so I went with the OTL one. Also, I recently discovered that his running mate/VP was Theodore Frelinghuysen on the 1844 ticket. The "accomplishments" Henri lists are things either planned OTL (that Polk vetoed) or that Clay (apparently) either promised or wanted to accomplish. So I hope that's "reasonably" accurate.

Soundtrack: Louis Gottschalk Moreau - Concert Paraphrase on the National Airs 'The Union'

*opening shot* *Port-au-Prince* *title card reads “February 1847”* *we see the funeral of President Jean Baptiste Riché, Comte de Grande Rivière du Nord* *followed by the coup of former president Charles Rivière Hérard* *a brief montage of Henri Christophe in Paris encountering former president Jean Pierre Boyer on the street* *then Christophe and Boyer running into one another at this function* *then another function* *then finally Boyer and Christophe retreating into a library somewhere and closing the doors on us*
*cut to Hérard forced from power a second time* *and elections proclaimed*
*cut to August 1848* *we see Henri Christophe taking the oath of office as the newly elected President of the Republic of Haiti* *with his wife, Dessalines Chancy[1], his children, Henri Jacques (b.1831), Marie Claire Victoire (b.1837) and François Toussaint (b.1838) all present*

*Petite-Rosselle, Lorraine* *cut to a coal mine[2]* *we see Henri, Élisabeth and Madame Royal presiding over what is apparently an opening of a new mine* *we even see Henri – and more surprisingly, his aunt – emerging from the mine tunnel after a brief inspection* *Madame Royal has that smug look on her face typical of older people when told they can’t or won’t do something[3]*
*cut to Chateau de Luneville* *Henri’s sitting with a newspaper announcing that the United States army in Mexico City has finally surrendered* *we zoom in to see that among the dead – due to disease – are listed “General Zachary Taylor”, “Brigadier General Franklin Pierce” and “Captain Robert E. Lee”*
*further down the page we see the announcement of Achille Murat as the “Präsident of the German Republic”*
Footman: his Excellency, the Ambassador of the United States
Richard Rush: *bows*
Henri: *puts paper aside* *gets up to pick up his son, Michel, duc de Bretagne- playing with blocks on the rug between he and Rush- out of the way* Monsieur l’Ambassadeur.
Rush: your Royal Highness.
Henri: I am sure your government is glad to be able to remove itself from the…swamp…that Mexico was becoming.
Rush: the soldiers have surrendered Mexico City, but we have not withdrawn, sir
Henri: Monsieur Rush, if I may make a suggestion *Michel has decided to curl up between his father and the chair’s arm-rest* know when you are beaten.
Rush: it is only a matter of awaiting for the new recruits-
Henri: so you would send more of your young men to die. More killed by tropical disease and suicide than by the Mexican army? Bravo, Monsieur, if that is to be the winning argument of democracy. Let’s keep throwing lives away in a…dare I say…pointless war that…will ruin your president’s chances of being re-elected.
Rush: President Clay has no desire to seek a second term, sir.
Henri: *nods* *looks down at his son who is wriggling, clearly trying to get comfortable*
Rush: you are surprised at that?
Henri:why should I be surprised. That is how your system works, is it not? It is not for everyone, after all, look at what has happened the last two attempts France has made.
Rush: of course.
Henri: although, speaking as a father, I can sympathize with President Clay’s desire for his son – and the other men, naturally – to return home.
Rush: he will be most gratified to hear that, sir.
Henri: I wish to offer my services.
Rush: sir?
Henri: as a mediator. The United States and Mexico should at least be willing to talk about making peace, no?
Rush: your Royal Highness speaks as though it is inevitable.
Henri: your president has a choice in front of him: either he can leave office with this war still ongoing and have his legacy tarnished. All he will be remembered for is the war. Whether he wanted it or not.
Rush: *quiet*
Henri: or…he can depart from office with his head held high, knowing that he has expanded the United States to the Pacific Ocean. The ports and harbours that he has started on the Great Lakes, the development of the Kansas and Wisconsing territories, his various projects to build up the infrastructure…and his attempts to make the American market competitive with Europe’s having been more or less successful.
Rush: President Clay has made it his life’s mission to not kowtow to Europe like some mandarin to the emperor.
Henri: an estimable goal, I assure you, Monsieur Rush. But it is also not wise to slap aside a hand offering to save you when you are drowning.
Rush: is that a threat, sir?
Henri: it is an observation. As I understand it, the new Madame Iturbide’s ship has already been moored at Port-au-Prince before continuing the final leg of her journey to Mexico_Once she arrives, I have no doubt that her aunt in London will be concerned for her safety. Which means that the next offer will come from Westminster. And, since President Clay has made no secret of his dislike for what he perceives as British interference in American affairs…I have no doubt that their offer will not be half so respectful. *loaded silence* assuming, that is, that they do not choose to side with Mexico outright.
Rush: I will write to the President on the matter, but I can already answer what his first condition would be…
Henri: and what is that?
Rush: France must cease their support. Both for Monsieur Iturbide and for Monsieur Christophe.
Henri: that is an easy thing to promise him. France does not support them.
Rush: Commodore Yturbide-
Henri: any Frenchman who fights in Mexico fights as a volunteer, France has neither the resources to commit to such a fight, nor an interest in provoking the ire of her oldest and most reliable ally in North America.
Rush: and Monsieur Christophe?
Henri: what on earth would make your president believe that we had anything to do with that? I don’t hesitate to say that the accusation is ludicrous. After how the island of Haïti was treated by the French since the turn of the century? A candidate who carries the ringing endorsement of the king of France likely ends up murdered in his bed, not elected.
Rush: with all due respect sir, you cannot expect me to believe that *distasteful* they were capable of doing it by themselves.
Henri: have you met Monsieur le Président?
Rush: *shakes head*
Henri: he truly is one of the most intelligent men I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting. Educated in England. I can’t remember if it was Oxford or Cambridge[4]- He has fought with distinction in Spain for the Carlists and then in Italy during the late German War… I fail to see what is your opposition to him.
Rush: he is the son of a king standing for president.
Henri: then I feel as though you and I are at cross purposes about what is and isn’t democracy, monsieur. As I was always taught to understand it, democracy – at least in the United States’ version – is built on the rule of the people for the people and by the people.
Rush: it is, sir.
Henri: then what is your objection to Monsieur le Président standing for and winning an election? Aside, obviously, from his skin colour.
Rush: his skin-colour is not the issue.
Henri: my mistake…I’m afraid I can’t guess what the objection is if you won’t tell me.
Rush: there are…understandably…concerns in Washington that he will re-establish the monarchy in Haiti.
Henri: *nods vaguely* do they have proof? For instance, has he said as much? Maybe the’ve uncovered secret plans that he intends to do this?
Rush: *shakes his head*
Henri: so you are frightened of a shadow.
Rush: we are frightened of what could be.
Henri: so you neglect the right now for the not yet. The possibly not ever? Neither Monsieur Iturbide nor Monsieur Christophe have made any grandiose claims to their father’s legacy.
Rush: *quietly as Henri stands up, clutching Michel to his side, indicating the interview is over*
Henri: I almost forgot…if Monsieur Christophe or Monsieur Iturbide are deemed to have French support or are somehow seen as French pawns…are the French then to treat Berlin’s recent election of Monsieur Murat as American interference in Europe? Attempting to export the Madison Doctrine-
Rush: Monroe, sir.
Henri: Attempting to export the Monroe Doctrine to Europe?
Rush: I highly doubt it, the Prince of Pontecorvo is a fierce opponent of President Clay, having once called him a “coward” and a “turncoat”[5]. He bears France no love either, as I understand it.
Henri: And were to consider every man who called me names and despises me an “opponent”…I dare say that I should still be sitting in exile in Austria. I do hope you’ll relay my offer of mediation to President Clay.

*fade to black*

[1] We haven't seen Christophe since the Chapter Bourée à Thiers, so I hope you'll forgive the "montage". Some explanation for who she is is necessary. Dessalines’ mother is Princess Marie Françoise Celimène Dessalines, eldest surviving daughter of Emperor Jacques Dessalines. Dessalines’ father is Bernard Chancy, an ADC to his uncle, Toussaint Louverture. Ergo, Henri Christophe has ensured that, since Dessalines’ uncle’s death in 1832, his children have essentially got three bloodlines most associated with Haiti.
[2] This would be what would OTL become the Carreau Wendel. The coal was discovered in 1847, but due to the Year of Revolutions, and the political upheaval, it took until 1856 before they even broke ground.
[3] In fact, well into her widowhood Madame Royal – much like Empress Eugènie later – preferred having young people around her. And there are several accounts that while she never let you forget who she was, she was certainly capable of “surprising” them. A visit to a coal-mine – perhaps recalling her father’s interests in such things, or his lessons to she and her brother in the Temple – seems like something she’d get a kick out of doing. She’s not going to be digging for coal or wearing a hard hat herself- that would likely be Henri- but even as a child she learned how to play to a crowd.
[4] Oddly enough, while the first “African” graduates of British universities are listed as Christian Frederick Cole (University College, Oxford, 1876) and Alexander Crummell (Queen’s College, Cambridge, 1853), this isn’t accurate. The “first” that we know of is clergyman Bryan Mackey (Brasenose College, Oxford, 1790s) and musician, George Bridgetower (Trinity Hall, Cambridge, 1811). So the son of a former Haitian king having graduated from either pre-1848 is not at all that weird. Even if he- like many of his contemporaries in British parliament- studied but left before taking his degree.
[5] This was in 1826. And it was actually David Betton Macomb, a supporter of Clay’s. It led to a duel.

@The_Most_Happy @Andristan @isabella @Nuraghe @Jan Olbracht @Fehérvári @Parma @Dragonboy @JustinTexas @KingRevolt @Project98 @VB.rainer @Hafiz van Gresik @nathanael1234

*cut to Chateau de Luneville* *Henri’s sitting with a newspaper announcing that the United States army in Mexico City has finally surrendered* *we zoom in to see that among the dead – due to disease – are listed “General Zachary Taylor”, “Brigadier General Franklin Pierce” and “Captain Robert E. Lee”*
That’s a fairly Mothra sized butterfly right there

Excellent chapter as always! Happy to see the guys dead, specially pierce and lee.

Hopefully the monarchies will return to haiti and mexico, specially rooting for the latter.

That’s a fairly Mothra sized butterfly right there

Excellent chapter as always! Happy to see the guys dead, specially pierce and lee.
I did "promise" when I got rid of Grant that Lee would likely be on the chopping block as well. Taylor died in 1850, so it's not all that unthinkable that illness could carry him off in '48. Pierce didn't exactly make a good showing of himself - earning the nickname "Fainting Frank" - in Mexico (or in office, FWIG). Which means that the US presidential line-up until (at least) 1857 is going to be "interesting".

Hopefully the monarchies will return to haiti and mexico, specially rooting for the latter.
Well, there's still the slightly iffy matter of "how do you solve a problem like Agustin Iturbide" once you make peace. He's not just going to pack up and go back to Europe. Even if he stands for president, rules for a decent double term (not sure what the Mexican presidency's limit was, given how it seems to have been coup on counter coup) and leaves office without once attempting to proclaim himself emperor, the US will still oppose him. Same for Christophe, he's going to have everyone waiting for him to seize power and crown himself king/emperor of Haiti.

My reading of it would be is that I could see that both men - in attempting to be their country's Washington (set a standard for a peaceful and orderly transition of power) - will inevitably wind up being opposed by the country they are most seeking to emulate (the US). And, as a result, they'll turn to Britain/France/Austria/Portugal-Brasil/Spain for alliances and "supplies", which the US will take as "confirmation" that they're trying to re-establish the monarchies. And that's before we get into the "revenge" the US will want on Mexico for the humiliation or their relations with Haiti (AIUI, relations under Faustin I and his predecessors were not good due to them attempting to encourage Americans to emigrate to Haiti in an attempt to build up the economy/improve local skills)