For Want of a Word – Stolypin endures

Actually, after WWI was over Russia was fighting an exhausting CW for few more years .

Now, you keep insisting that Wilson is going to do something explicitly anti-Russian but never specified what exactly this is going to be. Perhaps it makes sense to start with defining the issues and only afterwards to proceed with the tools that are available (or not) for enforcing them? Because so far (unless I missed something) your are just keep repeating that Russia and Italy are in exactly the same position, etc. They aren't in this TL (and actually never were in OTL) by numerous reasons so the parallels are pointless.

Sure she had fought a CW due to the revolution but with that avoided and people will had the possibility to go back home and start rebuilding and once this choice is possible...it's hard to bring them to fight in another senseless war.

I not insisting that Wilson will be anti-russian per se, even if he don't have that great opinion of slavic people but there is the enourmous question of the nationalities and with A-H collapsing and the Polish question looming over all the possiblity that Russian interest and Wilson personality clash is almost certain and the american president can be a very unmoveble object. I keep saying that Italy and Russia are in a very similar position because they are both backward nation that had suffered enourmous loss under an idiotic leadership that had an hard time to change in his way and need to justify their loss in the eye of the population, even because the internal political scene is becoming really really troublesome; both have their economy almost destroyed by the conflict and are dependent by foreign loan and whose interest can clash with the one of his other allies that want to limit their gain so to not make extended too much her influence. The only big difference is that Italy is a relatively more modern nation and lack problem like having a lot of not quite satisfied Polish and armed as citizen.

Last edited:
Sure she had fought a CW due to the revolution but with that avoided and people will had the possibility to go back home and start rebuilding and once this choice is possible...it's hard to bring them to fight in another senseless war.

I not insisting that Wilson will be anti-russian per se, even if he don't have that great opinion of slavic people but there is the enourmous question of the nationalities and with A-H collapsing and the Polish question looming over all the possiblity that Russian interest and Wilson personality clash is almost certain and the american president can be a very unmoveble object. I keep saying that Italy and Russia are in a very similar position because they are both backward nation that had suffered enourmous loss under an idiotic leadership that had an hard time to change in his way and need to justify their loss in the eye of the population, even because the internal political scene is becoming really really troublesome; both have their economy almost destroyed by the conflict and are dependent by foreign loan and whose interest can clash with the one of his other allies that want to limit their gain so to not make extended too much her influence. The only big difference is that Italy is a relatively more modern nation and lack problem like having a lot of not quite satisfied Polish and armed as citizen.
Sorry, which "Russian interest" and which "Wilson personality" are you talking about?

Let's look at those of the 14 Points that can be relevant to Russian Empire :

Point VI is rather irrelevant in this TL because Russia is not occupied by the 3rd parties but even then the part "...the independent determination of her own political development and national policy and assure her of a sincere welcome into the society of free nations under institutions of her own choosing; and, more than a welcome, assistance also of every kind that she need and may herself desire. The treatment accorded Russia by her sister nations in the months to come will be the acid test of their good-will, of their comprehension of her needs as distinguished from their own interests, and of their intelligent and unselfish sympathy" does not sound either interventionalist or anti-Russian and this was about the Bolshevik Russia. "Assistance of any kind" is a very far cry for economic blockade regardless of Wilson's ability to deliver and surely does not indicate that he would oppose the private business initiatives.

Point XII: "The Turkish portions of the present Ottoman Empire should be assured a secure sovereignty, but the other nationalities which are now under Turkish rule should be assured an undoubted security of life and an absolutely unmolested opportunity of autonomous development, and the Dardanelles should be permanently opened as a free passage to the ships and commerce of all nations under international guarantees."

As far as "other nationalities" are involved, with the available by that time facts regarding the Armenian genocide, insistence that the Turkish Armenians can have "an absolutely unmolested opportunity of autonomous development" within Turkey would be laughable and, taking into an account that the Armenians were not oppressed within the Russian Empire (and the fact that the Russian troops are already occupying that region ) making former Turkish Armenia a part of the Russian Empire seems as a quite modest and reasonable thing. In the case of same unlikely controversy, Russia would be most probably supported by Britain and France: both of them had much more extensive and ...er... "creative" ideas regarding the former Ottoman territories.

The Dardanelles part is plain beautiful and clearly indicates a somewhat problematic knowledge of the geography. Russia should jump to the opportunity and whole-heartedly agree (while holding Bosporus which is not mentioned). Actually, the whole idea almost ideally fits Russian traditional requirements: Straits must be open to the commerce and closed to the 3rd party warships at the war time. Taking into an account that international agreement to that effect existed since (IIRC) 1840s and the Ottomans notoriously failed to enforce the military part of it, Russian control of Bosporus can pass for the "international guarantee" and probably there would be no serious objections against the British control of the Dardanelles. Commercial traffic was welcomed because most of the Black Sea trade through the Russian ports had been done by the foreign ships. On a whole Russian traditional (since the 1st League of Armed Neutrality) position on the naval issues perfectly fits Point II.

Point XIII: "An independent Polish state should be erected which should include the territories inhabited by indisputably Polish populations, which should be assured a free and secure access to the sea, and whose political and economic independence and territorial integrity should be guaranteed by international covenant."

This can be somewhat controversial. In this TL (as it seems) there is an agreement to create an independent Polish state out of the former German and AH regions with a predominantly Polish population while a certain autonomy probably should be given to the Russian part, which falls within Point VI about Russia settling its domestic issues without foreign intervention. Notice that the point does not insist on "all" territories, just that the territory of the new state has to be predominantly Polish. Strictly speaking, insistence upon access to the sea is a violation of "territories inhabited by indisputably Polish populations" because most of the population within Danzig corridor was indisputably German and Danzig is most definitely excluded on the same basis. But at least France would support the sea access part (from the Russian perspective it would not make a serious difference one way or another).

So where are the points of contention? Personally I don't see any.

BTW, speaking of the "big boys", both Britain and France also suffered enormous losses so probably their leadership also falls into the "idiotic" category according to your definition. Relative backwardness is hardly an issue important at the conference and don't exaggerate Russian backwardness: it has a sizeable economy and was capable during WWI to conduct some serious projects like construction of a railroad bridge across Amur or to building 4,500 km railroads in frontline region during 1916. Volume of the industrial production kept steadily growing all the way to the Revolution (absent in that TL) so that with 1913 level being 100% in 1916 it was 122% with the number of workers raising only by 13% and workload (hours per day and days per year) remained practically the same and effective salary of the industrial workers growing by 8%. Volume carried by the railroads from 100% to 148%, investments into the saving banks grew from 100% to 273% and number of the investors from 100% to 146%.

Dependence upon the foreign loans also was not unique to them: France had to start borrowing from Britain soon after wwi started and by the end of war British finances were in a bad shape as well. Among other things, the British trade deficit with the US skyrocketed. Below are the annual numbers of trade deficit in 1914 - 18 (in £m):
Deficit74.9181.31227.3316.2487.6

" In 1915, a massive Anglo-French loan for $500 million was floated in the United States with the cooperation of a syndicate headed by J.P. Morgan & Co. ... France had reached the end of its tether. Could Britain continue? On its own account perhaps, but not paying as well for the allied accounts, at least not for long. American belligerency extricated London from the worst spectres, though it raised other fears. Would the United States supplant Britain as the dominant global financial power?... When the armistice came in November 1918, the National Debt stood at £7,171 million, of which £1,420 million was floating debt.[27] The government was confronted with a massive ongoing deficit, while much of Britain’s overseas investments had been sold." https://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/article/war_finance_great_britain_and_ireland

Last edited:
Yes, I agree, Yanushkevych is maybe too much...

Re prince Nikolay Alexandrovich Kudashev, of old princely family of tatar stock: chargé d'affaires in Vienna during the Balkan Crisis of 1912-1913 and the Crisis of 1914. A competent diplomat, he had a good grasp of German and Austrian realities and mentalities. He then served in China (this could be useful later on).

It seems that he belonged to what I could call the "anti-panslavist" faction of the FA Ministry, along with people like the brothers Giers (who served in Vienna, Montenegro, Constantinople, and Belgrade), but without being really pro-German or anything of that sort, so he makes for an ideal deputy to Sazonov at the Paris Conference.
Yes, this would make a lot of sense both by keeping Russia from getting too deep into the issues which are of not vital interests (like territorial problems related to Yugoslavia) while maintaining a balance on the more important issues (former Ottoman territories and whatever else) and not taking too many obligations on the domestic part of the "Polish Issue" and having a balanced view regarding the fate of Germany. With the exception of Hungary and Austria, a considerable part of the Central (?) Europe is going to end up being either friendly to Russia or dependent upon it: Czechoslovakia, Romania and Bulgaria. Your alt-Polish government also has to be reasonably friendly.

Now, with your scenario for Pilsudki and his followers, situation is rather convenient for postponing autonomy in the Russian Poland. Russia agrees upon the independent Polish state making both France and Wilson happy (probably the same goes for the Brits with their never-ending search for the "buffers", etc.) and thus demonstrating a good will. But, with the known German collaborators (the naughty guys not deserving any sympathy x'D ) running a terror campaign on the Russian territory, the autonomy arrangements must be postponed until they are hunted down and dealt with. Which means that the issue is deferred to the undefined future with the Poles themselves being blamed for the delay and with the Russian Poles who are interested in autonomy being stimulated to report and deliver the "bad guys". The same goes for the peasants whom these people would be squeezing out of food and who would be reasonably afraid of the severe retaliation measures from the Russian administration. When most of them, and especially the leadership, are eliminated, there can be a "generous" amnesty for the few remaining (good PR domestically and internationally). Government of the independent Poland is, in your TL arrangement, hard pressed not to support them out of fear of being marked as the German collaborators as well: none of the Allies is going to like people with such a label. And the Germans (and Austrians) are going to be reluctant to be associated with them because this could provide the victors with an excuse for squeezing them even further. In other words, you made them practically doomed by just few sentences. :cool:

Last edited:
But he was not around so this is irrelevant.
This is no problem, in fact.

A problematic German minority is a guarantee that the Polish state will be unstable and dependent upon Russia for a long time.

When you have warmongering Germans across the Elbe wishing to conquer you, then the Czar doesn't look so bad after all, specially if he is an ally (and Head of State) and not actually your ruler.

Of course, they don't know about this, but using OTL's knowledge, this is the most sensible option. Germany is the most dangerous Russian enemy EVER, just think about would've had happened had Hitler won. A Second World War is going to be needed to crush Germany once and for all. And Poland will then serve as a valuable ally and a very good casus belli.

Last edited:
This is no problem, in fact.

A problematic German minority is a guarantee that the Polish state will be unstable and dependent upon Russia for a good time.

When you have warmongering Germans across the Elbe wishing to conquer you, then the Czar doesn't look so bad after all, specially if he is an ally (and Head of State) and not actually your ruler.
As long as you gave a pragmatic government.

Yes, I agree, Yanushkevych is maybe too much...

Re prince Nikolay Alexandrovich Kudashev, of old princely family of tatar stock: chargé d'affaires in Vienna during the Balkan Crisis of 1912-1913 and the Crisis of 1914. A competent diplomat, he had a good grasp of German and Austrian realities and mentalities. He then served in China (this could be useful later on).

It seems that he belonged to what I could call the "anti-panslavist" faction of the FA Ministry, along with people like the brothers Giers (who served in Vienna, Montenegro, Constantinople, and Belgrade), but without being really pro-German or anything of that sort, so he makes for an ideal deputy to Sazonov at the Paris Conference.
I didn't find much about him on the internet, but I asked my friend what he was interested in in Eastern Europe during the belle epoque period. He told me Kudashev was not so much anti-Slavic as he despised and did not trust the Balkan Slavic states . According my friend, he would not support the creation of Yugoslavia and the excessive territorial reduction of Hungary, which he considered as a good future ally of Russia in the region. However, he did not have much information about his opinion on Poland, but from what he knew, Kudashev believed that a united Germany was a possible source of conflicts in Europe and he probably support division of Germany into pre-unification states.
Personally, I think the court would like this policy becaususe that would weaken the Hohenzollerns, but I might be wrong.

Last edited:
I didn't find much about him on the internet, but I asked my friend what he was interested in in Eastern Europe during the belle epoque period. He told me Kudashev was not so much anti-Slavic as he despised and did not trust the Balkan Slavic states . According my friend, he would not support the creation of Yugoslavia and the excessive territorial reduction of Hungary, which he considered as a good future ally of Russia in the region. However, he did not have much information about his opinion on Poland, but from what he knew, Kudashev believed that a united Germany was a possible source of conflicts in Europe and he probably the division of Germany into pre-unification states.
Personally, I think the court would like this policy becaususe that would weaken the Hohenzollerns, but I might be wrong.

Thanks, that confirms what I knew. Key here is that Kudashev, like the Giers', does not buy into the panslavists myths. Famously Nikolay Giers, who served in Montenegro, came back from there toroughly vaccinated about the idea of a foreign policy dependent on the Southern Slavs.

This is an important point to note about a reactionary, Court-party infused government: they might be disastrous in terms of domestic matters, but not necessarily so on the foreign stage.

What I am trying to do with the appointment of people like Trepov and Kudashev is to, slowly and carefully, bring back the "Court party" at the lead of foreign policy after the domination of the "country strategy" under Sazonov. Of course it won't happen immediately since in the aftermath of 1918 panslavist and revanchist feelings still run high, but I think that, in the course of the Paris Conference, some issues (domestic and foreign) will arise that will make the Russian decision-makers incline to re-assess their options....

It may be that, say by 1920, a sizable faction of Russian decision-makers see the Great War as an utter waste of time and men, against a country with which Russia had not querel (Germany), for a country which proved to be an unreliable den of thugs and cutthroats (Serbia). The problem is that this view is bound to run contrary to the official propaganda about the glorious Slavic victory over the Teuton, etc.

Important caveat: It is true that, in general terms, panslavist, anti-German and Francophile feelings are more often to be found within the "country", ie. liberal-conservatives, who are more keen to follow public opinion (that is: opinion of the educated society). Also true that many partisans of the opposing policy were arch-reactionaries like P.N. Durnovo (see his famous memorandum of 1914). But let's not think of it in absolute terms: the Giers brothers and baron Rozen, the more articulate opponents of "panslavism" within the F.A ministry, were quite liberal.

Also note that within the "anti-panslavist" faction, they exist many trends and sub-factions. Some want peace above all because they dread revolution. But others want peace and stability in the Balkans so as to be free to turn elsewhere... that is, East. The humiliating defeat of 1904-1905 may have cured them for a while, but with Russia triumphant in the 1920's, they might want to try again in that direction.

Before the Paris Conference – Progrom as a PR disaster
Before the Paris Conference – Progrom as a PR disaster

Never had Russia stood in highest standing than in the few months before and after the Armistice: in France, Britain, Italy, the newspapers’ columns were awash with dithyrambic eulogies of the valiant Russian friend, the great empire of the Czars which had bravely withstood the assault of the vile Hun. Even in liberal America one could read articles extolling the virtues of the brave, if uncouth, Russian soldier. In the ecstatic climate of victory, the few Russophobes who still haunted Westminster, Fleet Street and their French equivalents seemed more isolated and silent than ever. Western Russophobia seemed truly a thing of the past.

This changed dramatically when news of Russia’s reassertion of authority in Eastern Europe began to make their way to the readership of the Western world. Already in May, when Dukhonin’s army had reconquered Livonia, the few Baltic Germans who had supported the Germans had been the target of violence, either directly committed by Russian soldiers or actively encouraged by them. This had, understandably, been ignored in Allied countries. But, by August, more worrying news were making their ways into French, American and British newspapers. Stories of pogroms directed against Jews and Poles, in Lithuania, Congress Poland and Galicia. The details were always murky, and never really clear: were these exactions directly committed by Russian troops? Or were they only passive accomplices to mob violence? No one could really know, but it soon became apparent that the reassertion of Russian rule in these areas was definitely not a good thing for the Poles and the Jews. By September, lurid tales of massacres committed in Galicia by Ruthenian peasants with the approval of the Russian authorities became common place in Western newspapers. Cossacks commanders A.G. Shkuro and colonel Y.A. Slashchov[1] became notorious for inciting the Ruthenian peasantry to turn again the Polish overlords and their Jewish intendants. The Western governments tried to play down the issue, but a sizeable part of public opinion, in particular in America, was incensed. The Jewish lobby in New-York was furious and openly calling into question the very idea of going to war in Europe. In England, die-hard Russophobes deplored in Parliament that Eastern Europe was now to suffer under the boot of the Muscovite savage, while in France the pro-Turk lobby seized on the occasion to make their voice heard again after four years of silence: the alleged massacres of Armenians and Greeks, they said, was assuredly “de la petite bière” compared to the gruesome pogroms committed by the Cossacks of the Tsar.

A shadow was cast on the opening of the Paris Conference.

[1] Notorious pogromist and Civil war commander, successfully defended Crimea against the Reds in December 1919, thus allowing the Whites to hold on to Crimea for a few more months. A colorfoul character, he liked cocaine, birds and murder. One of the few White officers to return to Soviet Russia after the civil war. He was murdered in Moscow by one of his victims’ relative.​

Last edited:
One of the details that genuinely enrages me about Nicholas II was the fact that he apparently saw pogroms as a statement of love from the peasants to him.

Yeah, the situation for Jews TTL doesn't seem too good.

October 1918 to March 1919 – The Paris Conference (I) – Bulgaria, Germany, Poland
October 1918 to March 1919 – The Paris Conference (I) – Bulgaria, Germany, Poland

Vita Corradini, mors Caroli. Mors Corradini, vita Caroli.

Pope Clement IV, 1268.

The Paris Peace Conference would pit in stark contrast the views expounded by the USA and the outlook of the Russian negotiators. It was like the collision of two completely different worlds. For Wilson, this war had been about putting an end to the old, aristocratic, secretive ways and establish a new, democratic, transparent world order that would guarantee universal and perpetual peace. Wilson was all the more eager to ascertain his holy principles in Paris that the USA’s actual contribution to the end of the war had been quite limited. He came to the Conference with principles he firmly believed should guide the negotiations: self-determination, liberalism and democracy. Russia, on the other hand, wanted none of that. Britain and France would have a difficult role in mediating between these two opposing camps.

Here follows an overview of the various treaties concluded during the Paris Conference. Issues which became stumbling blocks during the Conference will be given additional commentary.

Bulgaria (Treaty of Neuilly)
  • Bulgarian Macedonia to Serbia.​
  • Dobruja returned to Romania.​
  • Western Thracia to Greece[1].​

Germany (Treaty of Versailles)

It quickly appeared that Sazonov had received instructions not to be too hard on Germany. This was in part due to pragmatic concerns: the Russian government was not too keen on absorbing the entirety of the Polish nation: leaving some Poles (eg. Silesia) to Germany would ensure that Berlin and Petrograd remained on the same page regarding the threat of Polish independence. It would also ensure that an eventual independent Polish State would not direct its irredentism solely against Russia.

But there was another aspect to the relative leniency adopted by Russia towards Germany, and it was due to power dynamics in the entourage of the Emperor, where the Court party was coming back in force since the end of the war. The pro-German and pro-French trends of Russian diplomacy had never been entirely clear-cut, but the Court party had always been more inclined to pro-German feelings than the Country. Now that the war was over, the Empress Alexandra (born Alix of Hesse) lobbied intensively her husband in favour of Germany which, she alleged, did not deserve to be humiliated.

This war had been started by Vienna, not Berlin. The alliance with Prussia had been the cornerstone of Russian diplomacy from the aftermath of the Crimean War to the XXe century. This alliance had only been broken by the irresponsible behaviour of Austria and the clamours of Francophile liberals at home. Now was the time to re-build this friendship with the house of Hohenzollern, which would guarantee peace for the next generation. This line of thinking was quite widespread within the Court party. Rasputin was openly pro-German. The courtiers, the sycophants and the new ministers (but I repeat myself) obviously emulated pro-German sympathies[2], now that they realized that Sazonov’s star was waning. It worked easily on the Emperor, who had always loved his dear cousin Willi, and who felt that, now that war was over, he didn’t need to bother anymore with the feelings of a liberal society who had proved treacherous during the February Uprising.

Hence in Paris, Sazonov, under strict instructions from Petrograd, took towards Germany a position markedly different from what he had aired in his discussions with Britain and France during the war[3].

Provisions of the Treaty of Versailles:​
  • Alsace-Lorraine to France​
  • Saarland to become a “free state”​
  • Demilitarization of the Rhineland​
  • Schleswig to Denmark​
  • Memel to Russia, plus a few minor adjustments on the Prussian borders;​
  • German Poland: see infra, the fate of Poland​
  • German colonies split between France, Britain, Belgium and Japan.​

Additionally, Germany would have to pay war reparations, and observe stringent limitations on their military forces. Sazonov insisted that, regarding Russia, these war reparations should take the form of a trade agreement highly beneficial to Russia in terms of technologies and refined goods, while France, Belgium and others opted for payments.

The question of the form of the German state divided the Allies. For France and the United-States, it was clear that not only Wilhelm should go (he had already abdicated a few days after the Armistice, in the hope of saving his dynasty), but Germany should be turned into a republic. Sazonov firmly opposed that: Tsarist Russia had no go to war to see liberal democracy spread all over Europe in its rawest form. After much haggling and American outrage, Sazonov and Kudashev managed to get the Hohenzollern through by pointing that, in any case, the powers and prestige of the German monarchy were much diminished, if not outright discredited, since the end of the war. This allowed Wilson to convince himself that, Kaiser or not, Germany would become a parliamentarian democracy. Thus the Hohenzollern were allowed to keep their throne, and Wilhelm III was grudgingly recognized as the German head of State by the Western allies.

The Fate of Poland

Incensed by the pogroms in Galicia and Kongressowka, President Wilson raised the issue of Congress Poland during the negotiations. This shocked deeply the Russian negotiators, and embarrassed the British and the French to no end (they also had to contend with vocal Polish and Jewish lobbies at home). The Russian negotiators were furious: true, during the war, prominent Panslavists like Grand-duke Nikolay Nikolayevich and Sazonov himself had aired the idea of granting some form of autonomy to “a reunited Poland”. But, if this were to pass, it would be granted by the Emperor of Russia, not decided upon by an international conference of foreign diplomats. When the news reached Russia, it raised outrage in the educated society: for once, both conservatives and liberals were scandalized that the United-States dared to suggest that the Paris Conference could deal with the fate of Congress Poland. Even prominent liberals sympathetic to the Poles’ plight, like V.D. Nabokov, categorically opposed this idea. As for the Court party, they reasoned that it was Sazonov’s fault: his talks of panslavism and Polish autonomy had led the Western powers to believe that they could freely impugn on Russia’s sovereignty: they clamoured all the more for the Foreign Minister’s dismissal.

The idea of granting autonomy to Congress Poland was swiftly put under the rug by Russia. Wilson then addressed the issue of Western Poland (ie.: Poznan, Silesia and West Prussia). There, the American president was on firmer ground, because the dominant Polish organization in these territories, close to Roman Dmowski, had bet on the Entente and had received support by all Allied countries at some point or another. In pleading for an independent Polish state carved out of Prussia, Wilson could find allies: Italy, France, Romania were sympathetic to it. As for Russia, Sazonov felt confident he could convince the Tsar to allow for an independent Poland carved out of German territories.

But the situation changed when, in November 1918, the Western Polish branches of the POW (Polska Organizacja Wojskowa) decided to launch an insurrection against the German authorities, in contradiction to Dmowski’ and Paderewski’s views that the existence of an independent Polish state would be achieved solely by diplomatic means. The rationale of the November Polish Uprising was that a successful insurrection would establish the fact that Poznan, Western Prussia and Silesia were unquestionably Polish lands. This would convince the Allies to grant them independence.

The insurrection succeeded in convincing the Western Allies, but it had the opposite effect on Russia. For the Russians, who had to deal with low-level but persistent terrorist agitation in Congress Poland and Galicia, the November Uprising was like a red cloth in front of a bull: this, the Court and the Stavka reckoned, was the definite proof that any independent Polish State would be a hotbed of revolutionary and irredentist activity, contrary to the assurances of Sazonov and other panslavist diplomats. The interception of dozens of POW activists as they tried to secretly cross from Congress Poland to Western Prussia only confirmed the Russian government in their views.

The November Uprising put the Allies at loggerheads, and soon the discussions stalled, while on the ground Polish militias were clashing against German paramilitaries.

Sazonov’s standing was now close to zero in Petrograd. Trepov and Gurko managed to convince the Emperor that the solution to this crisis could not be reached through the Paris Conference. And so, in December 1918, a Russian army under general Dukhonin entered Poznan and West Prussia, crushing the West Polish National Council with effortless ease, while the Germans, with Russian approval, reasserted their authority in Silesia.

The Allies, and particularly Wilson, were outraged by this “politique du fait accompli”. The French were disquieted to see Russia and Germany collaborating together to put down the Poles. But there was little the Allies could do, and eventually they had to agree to the solution proposed by deputy Foreign Minister Kudashev: Poznan and the southern half of West Prussia would be annexed by Russia, Silesia and the northern half of West Prussia would remain German, with custom-free access to the port of Dantzig granted to Russia. Autonomy for the Poles would be granted “in due course”, of the Tsar’s own volition. On 15 December, twenty POW cadres from Poznan were tried and hung in Kovno, while dozens of others were condemned to prison or internal exile[4].

This “coup de force” ruined the credibility of Sazonov, who had not even been forewarned of Dukhonin’s intervention. He had no choice but to resign and leave Paris a humiliated man, leaving prince Kudashev as acting Foreign Minister. Sazonov was replaced as chief negotiator by none other than Prime Minister A.F. Trepov, who wanted to dab his hand at international diplomacy. In Berlin, the Russian “coup de force” was interpreted as a sign of goodwill, and did much to lay the basis for reconciliation in the following years.

Many Poles were furious at the outcome of the Paris Conference, and joined the POW or other clandestine associations, aiming to lay the groundwork for an insurrection, should the opportunity arise. But some Poles accepted the situation with pragmatism, like ND’s leader Roman Dmowski: accused by more radical Poles of being a Russian lapdog, he argued that, now at last, the majority of the Polish lands were united within one state. Now it was time to work within the Russian empire, with tact, patience and flexibility, towards autonomy. Accordingly, he returned to Poland in February 1919 to build a new legalist political organization.

The Russian power play in Western Poland and the dismissal of Sazonov significantly deteriorated the relations between Russia and the Western powers. The arrival of Trepov to Paris didn’t lighten the atmosphere, to say the least. A vain man, Trepov had won the affection of the Tsar by playing the role of the dashing aristocratic Guard officer. He seemed to think that the same behaviour which had propelled him to power would allow him to impress and dazzle the Western diplomats. This was a profound mistake: Lloyd George, Clémenceau, Sonnino and of course Wilson took an instant dislike to Trepov. His aristocratic, cavalier and deliberately dilettante manners held no appeal to professional liberal politicians like them. As a result, the dynamic of the Paris Conference started to evolve towards distrust or even antagonism between Russia and her allies. Wilson told Clémenceau that, after the Polish affair, he was not inclined to give anything more to Russia. In private talks, Romanian and Greek diplomats complained to Lloyd George that they feared Russia’s appetites knew no bound. This deleterious atmosphere helps to explain the bitter division that arose on one of the subsequent items of discussion: Constantinople.

[1] Exactly as OTL. In the following years Russia will make extra efforts to bring back Bulgaria in her sphere of influence.
[2] As I said here and in non-threadmarked posts, the pro-Entente / pro-German divide did not completely espouse the divide between reactionary Court and conservative-liberal Country.
[3] Of course this will make the liberal society furious, but what can they do at the moment? They are still reeling from the failure of the February Uprising, and the Duma has not been reconvened.
[4] This is an ironic twist on OTL’s history, where the Polish insurrections in Poznan and Western Prussia have been eulogized as a decisive factor in establishing the 2nd Republic as we know it. Here, they have the opposite effect, which strengthens the “Polish positivism” trend embodied by Dmowski.​

Last edited:
President Wilson raised the issue of Congress Poland during the negotiations. This shocked deeply the Russian negotiators, and embarrassed the British and the French to no end (they also had to contend with vocal Polish and Jewish lobbies at home).
I can't help but imagine this would have caused one of the Russian delegation to voice aloud questions about the Phillipines, Cuba, the Apache, or of the prospect of a free and independent African state carved out of the US South.

I can't help but imagine this would have caused one of the Russian delegation to voice aloud questions about the Phillipines, Cuba, the Apache, or of the prospect of a free and independent African state carved out of the US South.
An independent African-american State sponsored by Imperial Russia would be a sight to see.

Maybe it will come to pass in the 70's, once Tsar Vladimir Grozny nukes New-York and Los Angeles.

Last edited:
or of the prospect of a free and independent African state carved out of the US South.
Such a proposal to Wilson, would make a good alt-history timeline! He may very well die from the shock and fury. In MacMillan's book on Versailles, I think it was Wilson's wife who was scandalized by the manner British elite treated their black servants. Apparently, Ms Wilson found the racist edwardian-era aristocrats very liberal towards the treatment of black people. The Wilsons were extremely racist even by the standards of their time.

@Hertog Jann Yes, Wilson was a Democrat, back when one of the main pillars, in fact probably the dominant pillar, of the Democratic Party was the white nationalist/segregationist vote of the South. Guy was an asshole who 100% deserves to be cyberbullied.

An independent African-american State sponsored by Imperial Russia would be a sight to see.

Maybe it will come to pass in the 70's, once Tsar Vladimir Grozny nukes New-York and Los Angeles.

In OTL Soviet Russia, Russians would snark about segregation when American officials challenged the USSR's human rights record.

But even the twilight years of tsarist Russia, OTL politicians would dismiss pogroms by bringing up lynchings in America.

@Hertog Jann Yes, Wilson was a Democrat, back when one of the main pillars, in fact probably the dominant pillar, of the Democratic Party was the white nationalist/segregationist vote of the South. Guy was an asshole who 100% deserves to be cyberbullied.

Alternatehistoryhub managed to convincingly argue that Wilson was the man who ruined the 20th century.

Speaking of antisemitism, does the Pale of Settlement still exist?
On paper, almost certainly, as it was abolished IOTL by the 1917 Provisional Government in March. However, the stresses of the Great War had made it effectively unenforceable by 1915, under the weight of a huge internal migration eastwards of Jews escaping the German front. I'm sure the Autocracy is eager to bring things back to 'normal', but the terrorist problem might stretch their resources in that regard.