For Want of A Vote...

Update

Extract from “Days of Reckoning – the General Election of 2009” by Katherine Elliott, published London, 2011

Alastair Darling’s Budget, delivered on March 24th, contained few surprises. Darling gave as upbeat an appraisal of economic prospects as he felt able given the considerable gloom purveying the markets which had revisited their November 2008 lows in the previous fortnight. Details of bank capitalisation schemes meant little to most voters and most experts were sceptical of what appeared to be over-optimistic forecasts for growth in the latter part of 2009 and early 2010.

Indeed, the purpose of the Budget was less a pre-election giveaway which the straitened economic circumstances precluded but a re-assertion of Labour’s claim to economic management which had been severely dented by the Panic of the previous autumn. However, while Darling could point, with some degree of credit, to his participation in international actions which had done much to prevent a similar outbreak in the future, little of this had any impact on hard-pressed voters and especially savers whose incomes had been rendered worthless by the collapse in interest rates and by retailers who had endured a difficult Christmas after a disastrous autumn.

The G20 Summit, held a week or so after the Budget, was again part of the re-affirmation (as Peter Mandelson saw it) of Britain and Tony Blair’s pivotal role on the global stage but there were unmistakeable signs that, despite the well-choreographed activities, the international balance had shifted and not in Britain’s favour.

There was a distinct froideur in the relationship between President Obama and Prime Minister Blair. The incoming administration had made little secret of its wariness given Blair’s relationship with former President Bush and while Downing Street argued, with some justification, that Blair had get on famously with Bill Clinton, the dynamic of the relationship with Obama was very different. Indeed, Obama found himself more in tune with French President Nicolas Sarkozy and German Chancellor Angela Merkel while the presence of the leaders of the BRIC economies as they were known (Brazil, Russia, India and China) suggested the global economic order was changing and that Europe was being marginalised in favour of the Pacific.

Nonetheless, the saturation coverage enjoyed by the Prime Minister seemed to have had the desired effect and a series of weekend polls suggested Labour had poached a small but handy lead (the leads varied from 1% in the BPIX Mail on Sunday poll to a 5% lead from ComRes in the Independent on Sunday). The poll numbers were enough to suggest Labour would be returned but with a reduced majority of 30-50 seats.

On that basis, the Prime Minister went to Altmore Junior School in East Ham on Tuesday April 7th and announced to a bemused audience of children and teachers that he would be going to the Palce that afternoon to seek a dissolution. The Prime Minister’s message was essentially “trust in Labour to see us through the crisis”. It was, as more than one observer pointed out, eerily reminiscent of John Major’s appeal in 1992.

The Conservatives had long prepared plans to fight the campaign and poster sites had been booked in advance. Party Chairman Boris Johnson sent a rallying email to his army of candidates and Chris Grayling and his Shadow Cabinet were soon taking to the airwaves. The same was true of Liberal Democrat leader Chris Huhne and his colleagues. Neither Grayling nor Huhne had been able to wholly convince the electorate of their credentials as potential Prime Ministers but both were able to gain ground by concerted attacks on the Government’s record.

With Easter at hand, there was little practical campaigning to be done during the rest of the week but behind the scenes, there were significant events developing.

Attempts to obtain details of MPs expenses had been made since early 2008 when a number of Freedom of Information Requests had been made. Initially, the House of Commons authorities had refused these claiming the requests were “unfairly intrusive” but in April 2008, the Information Commissioner had ruled that expenses claims should be published in full. The House of Commons had done nothing about this and one of the staff managed to obtain the full unedited details of expenses from 2005 and had passed them to the Daily Telegraph.

The newspaper’s Deputy Editor, Tony Gallagher, who would ironically be one of the victims of the scandal, was instrumental in getting the details published. He decided the first day of full campaigning would be the best time to start, derailing primarily the launch of the Labour campaign.

Rumours began to circulate over the Easter weekend of a “massive” story to
be in the Telegraph on Sunday but Easter Sunday passed without incident leaving many around Westminster (and most had gone away to campaign in constituencies) confused and concerned. By Monday evening, it was clear the story was going to break the next morning. One rumour, picked up by the Conservatives, was of a poll putting them in the lead but that was quickly discounted.

By the middle of Monday evening, the shape of the Expenses Scandal was starting to become clear. The Labour Campaign Launch the next morning was completely dominated by it. The Prime Minister who himself had emerged unscathed from the details, found himself having to defend Cabinet colleagues and the likes of Lord Mandelson from questions about their expenses.

Can you say 'Gamechanger'? A very clever twist. The election might now be decided completely at random! I can't quite see Grayling carrying the Tories to victory, however. Blair being personally unscathed may help - but how effectively will 'Trust good old Tony to whip them into shape' counteract 'Throw out the lot of them and get a new bunch in'? I'd wager the latter is looking more promising at the moment...

Can you say 'Gamechanger'? A very clever twist. The election might now be decided completely at random! I can't quite see Grayling carrying the Tories to victory, however. Blair being personally unscathed may help - but how effectively will 'Trust good old Tony to whip them into shape' counteract 'Throw out the lot of them and get a new bunch in'? I'd wager the latter is looking more promising at the moment...

Again, I imagine the Blair personal and trustworthiness rating will be plummeting into the negative regions after this scandal.

Again, I imagine the Blair personal and trustworthiness rating will be plummeting into the negative regions after this scandal.

But with The Gray[ling] Man leading the Tories and Chris 'Interesting' Huhne leading a near-invisible Lib Dems, who will gain from it? Hence my comment about the election being almost at random.

Thande

Donor
But with The Gray[ling] Man leading the Tories and Chris 'Interesting' Huhne leading a near-invisible Lib Dems, who will gain from it? Hence my comment about the election being almost at random.

Agreed. Some sort of one-issue anti-corruption party like OTL's Jury Team stands more of a chance of (limited) success in TTL based on that range of leaders.

Update

Interview with Chris Grayling, broadcast on 19th September 2016 on Al Jazeera (English Language). The interviewer is Michael Sheppard

MS: How then did you view the release of the expenses data?

CG: I thought it akin to throwing a hand grenade into a crowded room. Boris had been jubilant on the first night when Labour’s Cabinet members were in the frame and on the second night, it was the turn of the senior backbenchers but I was very worried.

MS: How so?

CG: We needed people to come out and vote Conservative – simply hoping Labour voters would abstain wasn’t an option. If the campaign was to be dominated by a story which damaged all politicians, we wouldn’t derive much benefit from it. I had to explain that to Boris and his people – I was convinced we would have our share of embarrassment.

I asked Boris to try and get some sense of the possible damage – one or two of our MPs had been very quiet and I feared the older backwoodsmen in particular might get us in trouble which is of course what happened.

The thing was that the early polls moved only slightly in our favour – the general sense of contempt was much stronger than any residual support we might have gained.

Tony Blair had been revealed as having re-mortgaged his constituency home and claimed part of the interest while he was living in London. Now, I knew a lot of MPs who did this or what became known as “flipping” which was allowed within the rules as they existed at the time but at a time of economic crisis, it seemed a grossly unreasonable practice to many in the electorate.

He had real problems with some of his junior Ministers and, as you know, both Jacqui Smith and Hazel Blears were soon in very deep waters and had it not been an election, I suspect he would have demanded their resignations but he opted to leave it to their respective electorates to pass judgement and we certainly had Smith’s constituency very much in our sights.

MS: When did you think revelations about Conservative expenses would be published?

CG: Well, the Telegraph was no longer the “in-house journal” of the Conservative Party as commentators claimed and hadn’t been really ever since the deposing of Margaret so we were pretty certain our dirty laundry and that of the Liberal Democrats would be aired in due course and so it proved. The Saturday was just awful – I was told by a friendly journalist on the Friday afternoon that Gallagher, who was then the Deputy Editor at the paper, was determined to, as the journalist termed it, “get all the thieving bastards”.

I tried to prepare for what I knew would be a storm – I thought that, having seen what had been printed about the Labour MPs, I would be in trouble as well.

I had owned and maintained a flat in central London and I claimed for its decoration which I was perfectly entitled to do but the media argued that because my constituency, in Epsom, was less than twenty miles from Westminster, I didn’t need another property in central London and I was, or at least the inference was, that I was using public money to improve the central London property in order to sell it at a profit.

People seemed not to realise that late sittings and other activities made it impossible for almost all MPs to simply go home each night. My house in Epsom was fairly isolated and I simply found it easier to conduct business from the London flat and go back to the constituency at weekends.

Nonetheless, I was roundly vilified, not least by pro-Labour and pro-Liberal Democrat commentators and on the Internet and I had to endure a very difficult interview on the Sunday morning Andrew Marr show on the BBC when I spent too much time defending myself and the Parliamentary Party and not enough on discussing the failings of the Labour Government and putting forward what I considered a very strong Conservative programme for change.

I was particularly irritated by one MP who had claimed thousands for his garden at his constituency house – had he not been retiring anyway, I’d have thrown the book at him.

Ken Clarke had dodged paying Council Tax on either of his properties having claimed neither to be his main residence and the likes of George Osborne and Michael Gove had also been implicated.

The only consolation was that it was the Liberal Democrats’ turn on Monday and it was faintly amusing to watch Chris Huhne trying to explain away his claims for milk and chocolate biscuits.

By the Tuesday morning, I felt ashamed, frankly, and angry at the way this had all been allowed to leak out and of course the timing. I ordered the Shadow Cabinet to pay back any expenses for which they had claimed and I forced Greg Barker to pay back some £10,000 in tax he had avoided from the sale of two properties. I was determined to try and enforce some form of probity but I was acutely aware that not only was the stable door off its hinges but the horse was well over the horizon.

MS: When did you hear about the offer of a televised debate and what was your reaction?

CG: I had always wanted one but no one could agree on the format. However, the torrid week we had all endured and the very real threat that the election could be hijacked by fruitcakes like the BNP and UKIP and God knows who else claiming they were “whiter than white” in every sense had concentrated minds.

I saw a poll on the Tuesday morning showing support for UKIP at 6% and the BNP at 5% nationally which worried both me and Boris and I think quite a few others. We were getting plenty of reports of real anger on the doorsteps and in the High Streets directed at all politicians irrespective of party.

Something had to be done and I have to credit Peter Mandelson and Chris Rennard for coming up with the idea more or less simultaneously.

MS: What was the reaction in CCHQ to the offer of the debate?

CG: I think Boris and the senior staff realised a Rubicon had been crossed – we simply weren’t engaging with the voters the way we should have been. The idea of a two-hour national debate covering the economy, home and foreign affairs featuring all three leaders wasn’t my preferred option but it was realistic.

I came to the conclusion that we couldn’t ignore the fact the Liberal Democrats had 100 MPs even though they had no chance of forming a Government – we weren’t really that much better off. It was more important to be seen to be having the debate than the format.

MS: And Blair’s position?

CG: He was as shocked and angry as any of us – I think he had completely failed to perceive the public contempt once details of the expenses were published and he came to see this as being about democracy rather than politics.

MS: What do you mean by that last comment?

CG: I genuinely believed at that time and in the mood of those days that had we done nothing about the expenses and not responded to the public mood, the election would have been awful. We’d have seen huge abstentions and votes for fringe candidates and that would have endangered our democracy far more than revelations about flipping or claiming for duck houses or whatever.

MS: You had very little time to prepare for the debate?

CG: The three main parties agreed to a single debate on the Thursday night before the election – the three leaders for two and a half hours covering home affairs, foreign policy, the economy and half an hour for invited questions. Boris and his staff were a huge help and we managed to work through a couple of scenarios but it was the same for Tony Blair and Chris Huhne.

MS: What did you think?

CG: I saw it as a huge opportunity and a terrible risk but one which circumstances had forced us to take.

I can very much see Boris becoming leader after Grayling. But when? The debates U-turn is an interesting one, for sure. Definitely a great way of making the campaign exciting. Blair ought to wipe the floor with both men, but will it all be hollow or ring true?

Thande

Donor
I can very much see Boris becoming leader after Grayling. But when? The debates U-turn is an interesting one, for sure. Definitely a great way of making the campaign exciting. Blair ought to wipe the floor with both men, but will it all be hollow or ring true?

Blair should in theory dominate but I could easily see him falling victim to "doesn't he look tired?"

Even amidst the expenses scandal though, it's hard to see anyone other than Labour forming the next government considering how few MPs the Tories have and how many the Lib Dems have (and the Lib Dems and Tories are on opposite sides of a set of scales--one generally can't go up without the other going down). The Labour majority is just too big a mountain for either the Tories or Lib Dems to climb.

Of course even if parties like UKIP got 6% nationally that doesn't necessarily mean they'd actually get any MPs elected...

I wonder if the UKIP vote will hold up, the behaviour of their vote is rather odd. The polling companies almost always get them wrong. Generally the outperform the polling numbers in European elections and under perform in General Elections. It's mostly explained by the fact that UKIP isn't a real independent party but rather the Thatcherite Tory Right in exile. Come election day under FPTP a lot (but not all) UKIP "supporters" actually end up voting Tory to and in European elections a lot of Tory "supporters" vote UKIP to send a message thanks to the PR system. I did last time.

Also I'm surprised they are doing so well. While Farage is a very effective leader with a more right-wing Tory Party headed by Grayling I would think they'd be doing much worse than OTL. Though of course the expenses scandal will help as UKIP is an ideal way for people to vote for Tory policies without voting for the Tory Party.

And we're back...

Apologies for the brief hiatus on his, very busy at work but we're back and it's a late-night phone call for our two regulart characters:

At a house in a Lincolnshire Village, April 19th 2009, around 11.30pm, the phone rings. From another room, a man, clearly irritated, comes to the phone and answers.

D: 52641, David..

N: David, its Norman. I hope you don’t mind me calling so late. I really don’t know who else I can talk to.

D: Norman, I don’t know what to say. I read the Telegraph yesterday. I mean, poor Rosemary? How are you, my friend?

N: It’s been ghastly, dear boy, ghastly. Those ghouls from the BBC and Sky News are camped at the end of the drive. Rosemary is in tears but I’ve managed to get her to a friend’s house nearby. As soon as they started publishing the expenses, I knew I was going to be in trouble.

I called Chris’s office and the Whips and told them it might not look very good but the story – well, it makes me out to be a cheat and a thief. Boris called and tore me off a strip – impertinent man. He said if I wasn’t standing down, he’d have had me deselected. That awful woman who’s our candidate called and had a go as well and has criticised me publically. They caught up with her in the High Street and she came over all holier than thou about what I’d done.

There are things I know about her and one of the production assistants at her awful breakfast television show.

D: It was £22,000 for gardening and other expenses, Norman. I know you’ve done nothing illegal but you’ve got to understand how it looks to the electorate.

N: Boris wants me to pay the lot back but I can’t manage it all in one go. Chris has apparently spent the weekend ringing round the Shadow Cabinet and ordering them to do the same. He must think we’re all as rich as George Osborne or dear Alan. I’m finished, dear boy, finished.

D: Look, Norman, we’re all in the shit together for what it’s worth. Chris isn’t exactly “Mister Clean” himself with that flat of his but the public don’t know and don’t understand. I got a lot of flak yesterday on the doorstep and in a couple of the villages. People are really angry with us and this might just cost me the seat.

N: How so?

D: The Labour and Liberal candidates won’t be able to make any hay from this but the UKIP woman, a really nasty piece of work, is claiming this is the Westminster version of the Brussels gravy train and my snout would be in the trough again given half a chance. I suspect hers would too but I need every vote I can get and at least two Tory voters have said they’ll either vote UKIP or abstain.

N: What people say and what people do are very different things. Walter called but I don’t think I’ll be coming up to help you. I’d be a liability – people would say “there’s that silly old fool with his expensive landscaped garden that I’ve paid for”. Some moron rang up yesterday and said I should open the garden to the public as the public have already paid for it.

D: Look, don’t let the buggers get you down, Norman. I’ve still got a seat to win and Walter would still like to see you. This is just a 48-hour story and it’ll be chip paper by Tuesday evening as I’m sure there are plenty of other targets out there. Lay low for a couple of days and my guess is the journalists and camera crews will have packed up and moved on. Then, you can come up here and stay with Walter.

N: That’s good advice, dear boy. It’s been hellish today.

D: I know. Look, I’ve got a lot to do still tonight and a busy day tomorrow. I’ll see you in a few days and we’ll have a drink at this nice old village pub I know and maybe Walter can join us. I bet you and he have some stories to tell.

N: Always, dear boy, always.

Reminds me that the bulk of the expenses stories that caught the public eye were about the Tories IOTL (justifiably or otherwise). Duck houses, moats etc. Labour eventually had more imprisonments, but in the short run up to the election it'll be 'rich, out of touch Tories' blasting from every angle, I reckon.

Oh, and 'poor Norman'...

They may despise it, but in the future, it looks like the Liberals and Tories will need to work together to defeat Labour.

They may despise it, but in the future, it looks like the Liberals and Tories will need to work together to defeat Labour.

I'm not sure how they'll be able to, though. An electoral pact drives away the Blue Rinse Brigade from the Tories and the Islingtonian Mafia from the Lib Dems, so I can't really see how two parties in a democracy can 'work together' to defeat another.

I'm not sure how they'll be able to, though. An electoral pact drives away the Blue Rinse Brigade from the Tories and the Islingtonian Mafia from the Lib Dems, so I can't really see how two parties in a democracy can 'work together' to defeat another.

Quite. And besides, Labour are just Britain's low quality attempt at dressing up a second conservative party as a progressive one. The tories have always been the oldest and most dangerous enemy of the Liberals and destroying them should always be the priority ;)

While the Orange Bookers in the form of Laws and Clegg were thanks to parliamentary arithmetic able to go with their hearts and get together with Cameron. A Huhne led Lib Dem Party and a more right-wing Tory Party means they will probably prefer Labour if the arithmetic allows it.

Thande

Donor
While the Orange Bookers in the form of Laws and Clegg were thanks to parliamentary arithmetic able to go with their hearts and get together with Cameron. A Huhne led Lib Dem Party and a more right-wing Tory Party means they will probably prefer Labour if the arithmetic allows it.

This is true but there's also another factor--TTL's Lib Dems benefited even more than OTL's due to their opposition to the Iraq War. (Of course, from our crosstime perspective we can say this is because the Tories had a more lacklustre leadership and the vagaries of FPTP, but that argument won't fly from an in-universe perspective). The Lib Dems doubled their number of MPs, broke 100 for the first time, because they opposed the Iraq War. They're going to have run with that, probably going all-out criticising Blair and playing to the "Hang Phoney Bliar the War Criminal" demographic. And Blair still leads Labour in TTL. It's not like OTL where Brown tried to draw a line under Iraq and largely succeeded (it just feels wrong to have the words 'Brown' and 'succeeded' in one sentence, but never mind ;) ). Because of this, even though this is a more left-wing Lib Dem party than OTL, I think they would be wary about getting into bed with Labour. They would probably at least demand Blair's scalp.

Quite. And besides, Labour are just Britain's low quality attempt at dressing up a second conservative party as a progressive one. The tories have always been the oldest and most dangerous enemy of the Liberals and destroying them should always be the priority ;)

Biggles

Oldest enemy definitely, as probably the ones I detest the most. [Both because my early political years were the 80's during the maggot's devastations and because Blair's new Labour were only a thin copy of the worst of the Tory characteristics].

However a reactionary backward looking Tory party we can survive and oppose much more easily than a party that has some claim, however false often, to being radical. I would much rather see a radical, reforming 'liberal' party opposed to the Tories, than one that has to move far to the right and absorb a lot of Tories, competing with Labour. Both for the parties need and more importantly the countries. While its looking increasingly unlikely it will be a focus for real reform of the sort the country needs in the near future that still a couple of orders of magnitude more likely than either of the other two.

Steve