For a Gore Prosperous Tomorrow

I have been looking at the best options for solar panels for a small back yard and this article definitely helped me decide.
Some other stuff I found:

Sanders Administration- Spring 2017
Spring 2017

"I guess it's unsurprising that he would die so soon given all he had to deal with..."

"Well, certainly quite a good choice for a Supreme Court pick..."

"Chelsea Manning is free and now so is Edward Snowden, huh..."

Spring of 2017 truly seemed to sum up the end of an old era and not just with the ascension of President Bernie Sanders. Former President John McCain would pass away from brain cancer over on March 11, 2017. The discovery of his tumor was realized approximately six months sooner, but insisted on maintaining it a secret to finish his duties along with undergo treatment. After some time of treatment, he would cease it days prior before quietly passing away. Regarding his death, President Bernie Sanders declared a national day of mourning and ordered all flags "throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions" lowered to half staff for 30 days after his death. The state funeral of John Sidney McCain III was the official funerary rites conducted by the Government of the United States which occurred over a period of four days from March 13 to March 17, 2017. Several world leaders would come to attend, notably those who experienced national shifts during the McCain adminsitration such as the new Middle Eastern nations along with the president of Venezuela and even the new leader of North Korea, whom McCain met prior during a historic visit to North Korea months prior along with others, such as former Vice president, Mitt Romney. McCain's legacy would be mixed. While his successes in foreign affairs and his commitment to campaign finance reforms were viewed as positives, it was weighed with the opposition to gay marriage, the mishandling of the Great Recession (though many instead view this as the bigger fault of neoconservative economic policies) along with various miscellaneous factors. Despite the disagreement in political stances, President Sanders did give a formal and respectful address. He did make a reference to how the elderly end up in jobs that weigh worse upon with age.

640px-John_McCain_%26_Mitt_Romney_%2823342266429%29.jpg

Former President John McCain with former Vice President Mitt Romney in one of his last photos

Around that time, with McCain's death, it did seem to signal more talks on the presence of the old within government, especially with how President Sanders would note on how it would be the repsonsability of the youth to push forward the agenda of tomorrow. However, no one would expect on what follow. In April, a few weeks after the death of McCain would come the news of the retirement of Supreme Court Judge Ruth Bader Ginsburg. According to her, discussion of her option to retire were among the first interactions with President Sanders, even before he was sworn in. This was of importanance in part because of her age as well as the assurance that a Supreme Court that would follow her legacy would be sworn in. Sanders had a shortlist of potential options for potential Supreme Court picks and after some interviews and discussions, the new judge was to be decided. Various rumors were flying around on who it could be, with one rumor even claiming that James Michael Papantonio was a potential candidate for a Supreme Court pick. Replacing Judge Ruth Ginsburg would be Judge Jane L. Kelly. a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, she would be noinated by President McCain to the seat vacated by Judge Michael Joseph Melloy, who took senior status, back in early 2013. She would be voted in with relatively little fanfare, but she was on the list for her views and potential decisions. Many applaud her entry as well as her oath to maintain and improve the rights and well-beings of all Americans equally and fairly.

1594346435255.png

Judge Jane L. Kelly at her 2013 confirmation

Beyond preparations for the Supreme Court along with various other executive actions for the federal government and in supporting progessive candidates (most notably, the victory of Keith Ellison in the election as DNC Chairman), President Sanders also began examining what would become deemed as "wrongfully imprisoned." While Sanders courted controversy for his stances on certain notable individuals, it was more surprising to see him follow as such. Among his first weeks upon the dust settling in, he began going on a pardoning spree. His first action was enacting clemency on prisoners convicted on drug charges, especially nonviolent ones. He would unsurprisingly do this during the weeks in which Congress was preparing for the votings on a national decriminalization of various illegal substances long with working to end the disasterous War on Drugs, which just led to a rise in imprisonment, offenses and helps no one but the industrial prison complex, whom Congress along with the Sanders administration is gunning for. However, that was relatively small for Sanders' other acts of clemency, most notably Edward Snowden and Chelsea Manning. Both of them brought controversial though Sanders responded in regards to the importance of the free press and media. More over, he also noted on getting the truth out and not having it be suppressed by anyone or manipulated for the sake of profit. It was a definite sign of difference and not without criticism aimed at Sanders though it did net him growing support. Congress was mxied on dealing with him though the showdown between them and him was not over.

305px-Chelsea_Manning_on_18_May_2017.jpg

Chelsea Manning two weeks after her release

Last edited:
What exactly is the state of India this timeline, who is the prime minister here?

Hmmm... a bit difficult to say. Pakistan would still be a bit of a problem, but the McCain Administration would see the end of many of the backers and heads of radical Islamic terrorism. Only some stuff remains in Africa and even then, they're not much of a threat so they'd hold no influence for India.

Beyond that, I am unsure. India would still fare well during the Recession though I don't know if the corruption pratices would continue. The Bharatiya Janata Party would likely still win in 2014, but not to the same degree. Modi won through clever use of social media, so if he would be chosen by the BJP, it's possible the same would happen.

Difficult to say what else though given the different Internet landscape and so on.

What is the Democratic margin in the Senate?

Teachout seems like an extremely unlikely pick no matter the margin but there would be no votes if Sanders went ahead with it. She would likely being dragged across most of the media for being a former campaign staffer, failed primary candidate, having zero judicial experience (none mentioned in this post), lack of educational credentials (still just an associate professor?), and ties to liberal activism.

Last edited:
Liberal activism is fine but the other points are fair
I’m just saying that she’s a Supreme Court nominee her Occupy Wall Street work would be scrutinized. Any political activism work gets scrutinized at that level, no matter for whom.

Last edited:
I’m just saying that she’s a Supreme Court nominee her Occupy Wall Street work would be scrutinized. Any political activism work gets scrutinized at that level, no matter for whom.

Look, I don’t know who would be on Sanders’ short list for people on the Supreme Court so I’m doing the best I can on accuracy. If y’all have any plausible suggestions, I’d be happy to hear.

Plus, Occupy Wall Street occurred here in 2014 and was a lot more successful reaching out to people.

Last edited:
What is the Democratic margin in the Senate?

Teachout seems like an extremely unlikely pick no matter the margin but there would be no votes if Sanders went ahead with it. She would likely being dragged across most of the media for being a former campaign staffer, failed primary candidate, having zero judicial experience (none mentioned in this post), lack of educational credentials (still just an associate professor?), and ties to liberal activism.

The Democrats definitely have a solid majority, but I don't know if it would count toward a super-majority.

Meanwhile, the media can try and lambast her, but risk the backlash of a general public hungry for change and given how the rising reputation of the media bias is, it would just be confirming the suspicions of their bias against Sanders. Plus, The FCC Fairness Doctrine is still in play and likely to be improved upon if not solidified.

Furthermore, Sanders did not release his list of potential candidates and I have very little clue on who can be the most progressive judges or candidates. I’ll be happy to take suggestions or ideas.

Last edited:
The Democrats are just shy of a supermajority in the Senate, and that will change within the year.

Meanwhile, the media can try and lambast her, but risk the backlash of a general public hungry for change and given how the rising reputation of the media bias is, it would just be confirming the suspicions of their bias against Sanders. Plus, The FCC Fairness Doctrine is still in play and likely to be improved upon if not solidified.

Furthermore, Sanders did not release his list of potential candidates and I have very little clue on who can be the most progressive judges or candidates. I’ll be happy to take suggestions or ideas.
Try https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_L._Kelly

She seems like she’d be a pretty good choice. Any others? This probably wouldn’t be Sanders’ only time replacing a judge.

Elena Kagan
Sonia Sotomayor
Merrick Garland
Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Stephen Breyer
Clarance Thomas
Brian Sandoval
Consuelo Callahan
Anthony Kennedy

Ginsburg is probably Chief Justice.

Kagan, Sotomayor and Garland were added during the Gore years while Sandoval was put in by McCain. Scalia then retired and McCain put in Callahan.

Ginsburg and possibly Breyer would retire during Sanders’ presidency and he’d have to fill those spots

Last edited:
I've used these lists as a starting point before. Age differences might be trouble for some depending starting in 2016.

If you really want Teacher, with the POD in 2000 her career could've been different, had a role in the Gore Administration and worked in different circles, for example.

I have though I reckon Sanders' list would have some differences in comparison, especially anyone who might be too left for Obama to consider. I do thank for you for Kelly though.

What do you think of the whole timeline so far?

Hmmm... a bit difficult to say. Pakistan would still be a bit of a problem, but the McCain Administration would see the end of many of the backers and heads of radical Islamic terrorism. Only some stuff remains in Africa and even then, they're not much of a threat so they'd hold no influence for India.

Beyond that, I am unsure. India would still fare well during the Recession though I don't know if the corruption pratices would continue. The Bharatiya Janata Party would likely still win in 2014, but not to the same degree. Modi won through clever use of social media, so if he would be chosen by the BJP, it's possible the same would happen.

Difficult to say what else though given the different Internet landscape and so on.
Will you allow me to take a guess after reading all this and if you like it you can make it canon

How is alternatehistory.com doing ITTL? Is it pretty much the same as OTL, or are there significant changes?

Likely the same though the Internet culture is different. Alot of the stuff up of 2009 is relatively the same though Myspace remains prominent and there's more competition. The crowdfunding and crowdsourcing financing ideals took off sooner.

There also probably would be a couple timelines speculating what if the Supreme Court handled Bush the win along other things?

Likely the same though the Internet culture is different. Alot of the stuff up of 2009 is relatively the same though Myspace remains prominent and there's more competition. The crowdfunding and crowdsourcing financing ideals took off sooner.

There also probably would be a couple timelines speculating what if the Supreme Court handled Bush the win along other things?
That's cool, so ISOT games and well-written timelines are still a thing in this world.