Introduction to the TL
  • Rosenheim

Donor
    KHRDZq5.png

STATE AND SOCIETY IN COMMUNIST KOREA, 1945 - PRESENT DAY [1]
    Hello all, this timeline will explore the development of a "Communist Korea", though one very different from that of the failed state of North Korea in OTL.

Why focus on Communism and North Korea?
    To preface, my sympathies with far-left thought remains highly limited to left-anarchism and syndicalism. Even the "best-run" states of the Communist bloc that emerged as a result of the various wars and revolutions of the twentieth century represent a failed and twisted ideology, rather than any practical schema for government.

However, since North Korea has occupied such a large space in the collective imaginary as the arch-typical totalitarian dictatorship since the 1990s, especially so in recent years, I've been wondering how this state could have played out in history if its internal political development more closely resembled similar Soviet "puppet-states" in OTL Poland, East Germany, and Mongolia, as well as other Communist states like China and Vietnam. The immediate post-war period presents an ample opportunity to change the nation's trajectory, especially considering the sheer multitude and diversity of actors involved.

However, while at the end of the day this Korea might be "better" than OTL's North Korea, it is by no means a wish list for my desired political developments in the region (or anywhere, for that matter). Rather, I'm interested in not only how these state structures could have developed, but their ultimate effects on Korean society as a whole going forward. How successful could a more "rational" Communist Korea be in the long-term?

What is the Point of Divergence?
    There actually is no distinct and all-encompassing POD for this TL. Instead various changes in TTL Korea during the immediate post-war period will see a number of different outcomes for the early development of the North Korean state, with different leadership taking the reigns of government from the Soviet administration. Perhaps most importantly from our perception, the so-called “Guerrilla” faction of Manchurian fighters led by Kim Il Sung will not subordinate the other factional groups (in the immediate term at least).

The focus of the TL will largely be confined to Korea, though of course there will be much larger effects on the global scale, especially in the beginnings of the Cold War.

Korean Culture, Romanization, and History:

I am not a Korean speaker, nor is Korea the main area of my academic research. Rather, my focus is actually on late Tokugawa and Meiji Japan, though of course the peninsula intersects with this subject due to the depressing history of Japanese imperialism. As such, any misspellings, cultural mistakes, or general ignorance regarding the subject matter involved with this history should be considered my fault alone. This TL is the outcome of research I've conducted in my spare time, outside of my (now-finished) thesis writing. If you have any comments or recommendations regarding the subject matter, I certainly welcome them!

What is the format of this TL?

This timeline will alternate between textbook-style "excerpts", third person narratives, allo-historical forum posts, and other forms of mixed media. Some of these in-universe materials will be sympathetic to the Korean regime, while others will be far more critical of their actions - I will denote views wildly divergent from the "base-line" reading of the situation where I feel it necessary, though academic disputes (such as a top-down vs bottom-up view of the Korean state) will likely be left to stand on their own "merits".

How often will you update this TL?
    I admit, this is my first long-term TL project and all that I have in my back catalog of experience is a shortly-abandoned fiction piece in the fandom forum. I am working on this TL in my spare time, so I will caution against expecting rapid updates. However, I find this topic fascinating and hope to explore it for some time into the future.

[1] Both the title of this TL and the image of Korea from above come from OTL's "Kimjongilia flower of reunification" and media associated with it. While it certainly will not be named as such, a similar flower will be developed in TTL as well. The picture of Korea originally took the form of a propaganda poster from this site [link] (Accessed Apr. 17, 2019) and it was run through a number of filters to mask the bad image quality. The flag in the image is a combination of the flags on Wikipedia for OTL abortive People's Republic of Korea [link] and that of the DPRK [link]. The former's historicity as a widely used flag should be seen with some suspicion, but it offers an alternative to both the DPRK and RoK flags.

Last edited:
    1. Factionalism in Korean Communism
  • Rosenheim

Donor
    Lankov, Yuri (March 2002). From Stalinism to Reform: State Formation and Factionalism in the Post-war Korean Peninsula, 1945-1961. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, pp. 12-16. [A]

… As within all Leninist parties from the 1920s onward, the merest accusation of “factionalism” could be enough to spell the end of a once-promising career for any Communist functionary or official in post-war Korea. Despite this, factionalism should be understood as having been constant and bitter feature of the Korean Communist movement from the very earliest stages of its development, for all that the Workers’ Party of Korea semi-successfully projected a public face of unbreakable internal unity and discipline during the post-Liberation period (i.e., liberation from Japanese colonial rule). The party's deeply divided internal structures developed as a direct result of the peninsula’s political history, with the native Korean left which the party drew upon for membership consisting of a number of fiercely feuding and competing groups.

After the atypical disbandment of the Communist Party of Korea in December 1928, a drastic move brought about by Comintern headquarters in response to many party locals’ rapid descent into vicious and overt power struggles over various personal and ideological disagreements among their leadership, the conditions of Japanese colonial rule saw the party stalwarts scattered across East-Asia, with many of the left fleeing into exile and participating in other active Communist groups based in China and the USSR. Within Korea itself only small cells of underground leftists could be found, concentrated mainly in the more populated south of the country in and around the cities of Seoul and Busan. Upon the creation of the Soviet Civil Administration following Liberation, the Soviet authorities found that, despite its industrial capacity, the north lacked any appreciable number of Korean Communist organizations or leaders of national import to fill the ranks of a friendly regime. Instead, the new administrators had but little choice to either relax their criteria and incorporate more nationalist and rightist groups into their government or to look abroad for sources of ethnically Korean cadres to develop the party.

In largely embracing the latter strategy, the origins of the Workers’ Party of Korea can thus be traced to the guerrilla-led villages of remote and rural Manchuria, the soviets of the Far East and Central Asia within the USSR, and the left-wing political exiles dwelling in Red China's rustic capital of Yan’an, as much as any place within the nation itself. When the party was officially established in late April 1946, as many as five rival factions with various social, cultural, religious, and educational backgrounds, much less political orientations and degrees of Marxist orthodoxy, could be found within it. [1]

Of these five groups, it was the Guerrilla faction that appeared to be on the ascent in the early days after Liberation. Made up of former partisans who had fought the Japanese forces in Manchuria as part of the left-wing Northeast Anti-Japanese United Army led by the Chinese commander Zhou Baozhong, most of this group had escaped to the USSR in the late 1930s in the face of a sustained assault and the collapse of their position in the region. Once in the Soviet Union they were integrated into the 88th International Brigade, returning to Korea with the Soviet Army in late August 1945. The most prominent members of this group would be the young commanders Kim Sŏng-ju (more popularly known at the time by his nom de guerre Kim Il-sung) and Choe Yong-gŏn, and though many of the guerrillas themselves were of humble origin and had little-to-no education, many found themselves in high-ranking positions in the post-war state. The Soviet administration, being led by Major-General Andrei Alekseevich Romanenko (succeeded by General Nikolai Lebedev in 1946) and the political commissar Colonel-General Terentii Fomich Shtykov, had substantial confidence in this faction due to their close military ties, explaining in large part this group's early rise. The Guerrilla faction, in tandem with the Domestic and Soviet factions, was organized under the re-established Communist Party of Korea from August 1945 to April 1946, at which point it was reformed as a core component of the Workers’ Party.

gadJm8O.jpg

An image of the joint Korean-Chinese members of the 88th Brigade, c. 1940s. Source: Shen Zhihua/public domain.
    Kim Sŏng-ju can be found in the front row, second from the right.

In contrast with the above, the larger Yan’an faction consisted of a number of Korean leftist intellectuals who had emigrated to China in the 1920s and 1930s. These included the brilliant theoretician and linguist, Kim Tu-bong, party functionary Choe Chang-ik, and Mao’s most vocal supporter in Korea, Pak Il-u. Many of these individuals had previously been associated for a time with the Korean Provisional Government (KPG) based in Shanghai before embarking on the journey to Communist-held Yan’an in the face of further Japanese aggression and the KPG’s purging of its Communist elements as part of its alliance with Nationalist China. A few members of the group, however, such as the partisan Kim Mu-jŏng (also known as Mu Chong) had fought alongside the Chinese Red Army as far back as the Long March itself and had formed lasting ties with high ranking officials within the ranks of that party’s membership. This faction largely held to the Soviet line, if adopting more moderate stances from time to time, but their extended period of exile in China gained them some continued suspicion from the Soviet forces who were already leery of China’s increasing influence at this early stage. This faction would briefly organize itself using its old designation as the Korean Independence League (originally named in opposition to the Shanghai-based KPG) before dissolving itself into the Workers’ Party in 1946.

The third grouping, the Soviet Faction, was comprised of ethnically Korean Soviet citizens (or Koryo-saram) who were sent to Korea between 1945 and 1948 by a number of Soviet agencies (first military, then civilian). On the whole, this faction served as both supervisors and advisors to the new state, possessing a good deal of formal education and technical proficiency, while also serving a vital link as translators during the Soviet Civil Administration period between the Russian military leaders and the Korean populace. Despite being the primary conduit between Soviet traditions and Korean society, the lasting effects of the USSR’s Great Purge of 1937 (which had eliminated the most recent emigres from Korea under the accusation of them being Japanese spies and forcibly relocated much of the rest of this community to Central Asia), meant that the vast majority of this faction were those who had been born or at least extensively raised in Russia, thoroughly Russifying them in their language and habits. As such, few were able to rise quickly within the ranks of the new regime, though Hŏ Ka-i (also known as Alexei Ivanovich Hegai) and Pak Chong-ae, one of the few female leaders of the administration, would become highly influential by the early 1950s.

The Domestic Faction, theoretically the largest of all of these groupings, was made up of a wide array of underground communists who were active in Korea prior to 1945. Both highly educated and zealously devoted to orthodox Marxism, Pak Hŏn-yŏng was the remarkable leader of this faction, quickly re-establishing the Communist Party of Korea in Seoul in August 1945 in the wake of the rapid and chaotic Japanese withdrawal. Though for a time even the northern Communist groups nominally recognized Pak’s authority in the peninsula, the distance between the Pyongyang and Seoul groups, and the latter’s perpetual harassment under the auspices of the American administration, led to Moscow’s granting of significant autonomy and then independence to the northern groups (with the iconoclast Hyŏn Chun-hyŏk and more orthodox O Ki-sŏp representing this faction in the north). The sidelining of this faction was furthered by Moscow’s (perhaps being better read as Stalin’s) distrust of Pak due to his links to the old Comintern and the 1928 failure of the party’s predecessor. Despite this, the Domestic Faction would emerge as substantial force within the emerging American-backed Korean polity in the south, quickly growing in strength and engaging in both underground politicking and guerrilla activity. [2]

Finally, the last group of discernible influence within the Workers' Party political structure was the Nationalist Faction, those favorable to the popular front originally headed by former independence activist Cho Man-sik. This faction was considered the most highly suspect among the other Communists, with many regarding them as outsiders within the party and their faith in Marxist-Leninism being mere lip service at best. Cho himself wouldn’t even join the Workers’ Party of Korea, instead entering into the Korean Fatherland United Democratic Front as the head of the Democratic Party of Korea. However, with Protestantism being largely associated with modernization and anti-Japanese sentiment in Korea (with a number of other Korean Communists, such as Kim Sŏng-ju, being Christian as well), Cho Man-sik emerged at the time of Liberation as the influential spokesman of the heavily Christian leadership of Pyongyang. In fact, Cho was originally seen by the Soviet Civil Administration as their first choice for the eventual leadership of northern Korea. By the time the Red Army entered into Korea, Cho Man-sik had already established one of the more influential People’s Committees, the South Pyongyang Committee for the Preparation for Independence. As such, Soviet efforts to co-opt him continued throughout late 1945, with Cho being declared the head of the Administrative Committee of the Five Provinces in October. [3]

As 1945 was drawing to a close, however, a growing rupture between the Nationalists and the Soviet Administrators began to emerge. Born out of general animosity within Cho and Shtykov’s personal relationship, as well as the former’s unwillingness to toe the Moscow line, Cho would be increasingly sidelined by the end of the year. While Cho would later soften his positions to match up with the increasing Soviet influence in Korea, Shtykov began to position Kim Sŏng-ju as a replacement leader for the emerging state in the north in order to serve as a counterbalance to the Yan’an faction.

However, all of these internal calculations would be thrown into significant disarray in November 1945 with the attempted assassination of the leftist politician and nationalist Lyuh Woon-hyung and his subsequent flight to the north from Seoul ...

[A] I will be marking allo-historical works which directly correspond to OTL materials with the preceding mark. In this case, the above should be read alongside OTL’s work from Andrei Lankov (with TTL writer being an allo-historical “cousin” of his), From Stalin to Kim Il Sung: The Formation of North Korea, 1945–1960, Rutgers University Press, 2003. However, portions of another one of his texts, Crisis in North Korea: The Failure of De-Stalinization, 1956, University of Hawai'i Press, 2004, (p. 10-15), was used to construct a goodly portion of the above material, so please give that work a read if you have the time. In addition to this, I also consulted a much older article by Chong-sik Lee in the China Quarterly, “Politics in North Korea: Pre-Korean War Stage”, (No. 14, 1963, p. 3-16).

[1] This is actually three months earlier than the party would be established in OTL, these changes taking place due to both random chance and a slightly different strategy on behalf of both the Soviets and Cho Man-sik. For example, the incorporation of the nationalists into government suggests a slightly longer lasting period of the theoretical “People’s Democracy” before the transition into (political) Communism, though, as was the case in Eastern Europe, this would be only fleeting in its realized application. The faction breakdown I use above owes much to the structures Lankov determines in his work, though Lee’s earlier schema makes similar divisions with no distinction between the “Soviet” and “Guerrilla” factions.

[2] Hyŏn Chun-hyŏk would be assassinated in OTL in September 1945, being seated in a truck next to Cho Man-sik at the time. Hyŏn was a proponent of an alliance with the nationalists and a Pyongyang native. His assassin would not be caught, despite the pair being in broad daylight, on the way back from a conference with the Soviet leaders and other Communists.

[3] Cho Man-sik was indeed the first choice of the Soviet authorities for a leader in North Korea, though it should be understood that they entered into the administration of the region with little understanding of the political climate. Cho Man-sik would be purged in January 1946, OTL, due to his refusal to accept the outcome of the 1945 Moscow Conference (and its decision to enforce a five year joint US-USSR trusteeship over Korea, never actually implemented) and his general disagreements with the Soviets. His Democratic Party would later be subordinated as a lifeless husk to further the aims of the Communist state, it still being existent today for the purposes of propaganda. In TTL he survives for (at least) a little bit longer, though whether or not a more lasting association with the Communist forces is at all plausible for Cho depends upon your reading of the man’s personality.

Last edited:
    2. Short Extracts of an Entry on Lyuh Woon-hyung
  • Rosenheim

Donor
    Davis, Sharon and Alexander Kim (December 2011). ‘Yŏ Un-hyŏng’, Encyclopedia Digita. Web. 12 May 2013. [1]

qHyg1sJ.jpg

Yŏ Un-hyŏng in 1945.
    Source: NIAS-1945/End of Empire

Yŏ Un-hyŏng (May 25, 1886 – December 2, 1957), more widely known by his romanization Lyuh Woon-hyung in the West, was a Korean revolutionary, politician, and one of the founding fathers of the People’s Republic of Korea, first serving as…

Early Life

Yŏ was born in 1885 to an impoverished yangban class family in the province of Gyeonggi in Chosŏn dynasty Korea. Yŏ briefly attended the Baejae Christian missionary high school in Seoul, an institution also attended by such figures as Ri Sŭng-man, but his family frequently moved during this period and he would attend no fewer than four different high schools during his youth. In 1907, Yŏ converted to Christianity and, soon after the Japanese annexation of Korea in 1910, he would enroll in the Pyongyang Chosun Jesus Presbyterian Seminary where he would stay for several years.

He would meet his wife, Jin Sang-ha, in...

Revolutionary Activities

In 1914, growing rapidly discontented with the harsh conditions of Japanese rule, Yŏ would decamp for China where he would study English literature as well as organize political opposition to the colonial regime at Nanjing University. In 1917 he moved to Shanghai, where he became increasingly tied to Korean national resistance movements. Following the large protests and pro-independence demonstrations in Korea known as the 1919 Sam-il Movement (also known as the March 1st Movement), and the subsequent suppression of activists in the ensuing Japanese crackdown, Yŏ and other political exiles helped to establish the Korean Provisional Government (KPG) in Shanghai. Yŏ would serve as a member of the body’s first legislative assembly, being named a deputy in its Ministry of Foreign Affairs as well. However, faced with the failure of the KPG to gain Western recognition or support at both Versailles and the Washington Naval Conference, along with the internal pressures of maintaining a left-right alliance, the popular front of opposition soon began to fracture and disperse.

In 1920, Yŏ would join the recently founded Communist Party of Korea (also becoming a special member of the Chinese Communist Party in 1924) and personally translated the Communist Manifesto into Korean for distribution. Though the party itself would split into rival factions in 1921 (based in Shanghai and Irkutsk respectively), Yŏ would go on to attend the 1922 Congress of the Toilers of the Far-East in Moscow, where he met with the Soviet leaders Vladimir Lenin and Leon Trotsky. Joining him among the other 52 members of the Korean delegation (of 150 voting delegates total) were Kim Kyu-sik and Pak Hŏn-yŏng, both of whom would also become significant figures in the Korean independence movement. Upon the establishment of the Communist Party in Korea proper in 1925, Yŏ instead chose to remain in China supporting the various independence causes from abroad. However, in 1929, Japanese police in Shanghai arrested Yŏ and brought him back to Korea where he was imprisoned for three years in Daejeon Prison before eventually being released in November 1932.

37orKV7.jpg

An image of the Presidium of the First Congress of Toilers of the Far East—Moscow and Petrograd —Jan. 21 - Feb. 2, 1922. Yŏ is the second from the left, Leon Trotsky is in the center.
    Source: Museum Hub/Public Domain.

After his time in prison Yŏ's public affiliation with the communist figures lapsed, though his contacts and connections with these groups certainly remained. Between 1932 and 1944, Yŏ would remain in Korea, becoming influential in politics, media, and sports as left-wing leader associated with a number of independence related activities. As such, he was routinely harassed by the Japanese police, being imprisoned again for violation of the “Peace Preservation Law” in 1942 before being released in 1943 on three years probation. In 1944, anticipating Japan’s defeat in the Pacific War, Yŏ established the Korean Restoration Brotherhood which quickly expanded across the country. By August 1945, Yŏ had emerged as one of the most powerful political leaders in southern Korea, but his continued association with communism made him distinctly unpalatable to the arriving Americans as a political partner. [2]

[1] All of the information here (aside from the very beginning text) is true to our history (barring any mistakes on my part). The only allohistorical element is Encyclopedia Digita itself, the slightly stuffy knock-off version of Wikipedia in their TL. These short blurbs are more to get people up to speed on a central character of this TL in preparation for future updates.

[2] While Lyuh Woon-hyung's association with Communism is less direct than this article presents for the 1932-1944 period, the American forces under Lt. General John R. Hodge certainly believed him to be one. Though most modern scholarship places Lyuh as having distanced himself from Soviet Communism during the 1930s, he is still one of the few individuals to be held in wide regard in both North and South Korea.

Author's Note: Apologies for the complete absence of updates. In the last few months I graduated with my MA, moved back home for a few months, and now am living in Japan for the next few years. I can't promise that my updates will be any more rapid, but I am still continuing this. I have another longer piece that I'm working on at the moment that will actually get us to our divergences, but we'll see when it actually gets done.

Last edited:
    3. The Rise and Fall of the Korean People's Republic
  • Rosenheim

Donor
    Debruce, Curtis (April 1982). The Origins of the Korean People’s Republic. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, pp. 57-69. [A]

In the face of a collapsing position across East Asia and the certainty of defeat in the Asia-Pacific War, in early August 1945 Japanese administrators in Korea sought to prevent the widely-feared outbreak of anti-Japanese violence by organizing a native administration to keep the peace. As such, they first contacted the conservative nationalist (and briefly the leader of the new Democratic Party of Korea [South] later in the year before his assassination) Song Chin-u in the hopes that he would head this peace-keeping operation. Song would refuse to negotiate with the Japanese however, instead declaring his allegiance to the Korean Provisional Government (KPG) headed by Kim Ku in Chongqing and the American forces soon to arrive. This led the Japanese to turn to Lyuh Woon-hyung (Yŏ Un-hyŏng), the leftist leader of the dissident Korean Restoration Brotherhood and long-time thorn in the colonial government’s side.

On August 15, following the Emperor's surrender of Japan to the Allied forces, the Vice-Governor General of Korea Endo Ryusaku invited Lyuh into secret negotiations with the government. In return for his cooperation in maintaining order, Lyuh demanded the release of all political prisoners, the guarantee of food provisions to the public, and the absolute non-interference of the Japanese in the activities of any independence or revolutionary movements. While these demands were a hard pill for the Japanese to swallow, for both political and material reasons, the imperative of organizing a swift evacuation of their troops and civilians in Korea took precedence over their ideological opposition to Lyuh. As such, the Committee for the Preparation of Korean Independence (CPKI) was established with Lyuh as its chairman.

On August 16, a general amnesty was declared and Lyuh stood side by side with Endo in condemning violence against the former regime. In the days following the committee’s establishment, reprisals were minimized and local peace-keeping organizations were established on a large and popular scale throughout both the north and south of the nation. These committees served as both security and as a nascent experiment in democracy, with workers’ and peasants’ unions beginning to organize throughout the country as Korea awoke to the age of mass politics.

In the midst of this excitement, the CPKI soon began to operate far outside of the narrow bounds of its assigned responsibilities. Per Lyuh’s demands, roughly 16,000 political prisoners were released from Japanese detention, many of them Communist or their fellow travelers. Their growing participation in the local committees over the following month rapidly shifted the ideological center of the movement from a rosy pink to a deep and noticeable red. Pak Hŏn-yŏng would emerge from hiding in the provinces to reestablish the Korean Communist Party in Seoul, while the fellow-traveler and lawyer Hŏ Hŏn would enter the confidence of Lyuh as a member of the CPKI's left wing.

94hr9pV.jpg

Photograph of the lawyer and leftist leader, Hŏ Hŏn. Source: Wikimedia Commons.

This new radicalism made itself known on August 28, when the CPKI announced that it had begun to reorganize itself into a transitional government to pave the way for national independence. On September 6, the Korean People’s Republic (KPR) was declared by several hundred activists and eighty-seven delegates in a swiftly organized ceremony in the gymnasium of the Kyŏnggi Girl’s High School in Seoul. Including many notable figures still in exile, and thus having neither the ability to accept nor refuse these posts, the new leaders of the People’s Republic were declared to be a grand coalition of the Left and Right:

Chairman: Syngman Rhee (Right)
    Vice-Chairman: Lyuh Woon-hyung (Left)
    Prime Minister: Hŏ Hŏn (Left)
    Department of Education: Kim Sŏng-su (Right)
    Department of the Interior: Kim Ku (Right)
    Department of Justice: Kim Pyŏng-no (Center)
    Department of Foreign Affairs: Kim Kyu-sik (Center-Left)
    Department of Economics: Ha P’il-wŏn (Left)
    Department of Finance: Cho Man-sik (Center-Right)
    Department of Communications: Shin Ik-hŭi (Center-Right)

This listing might at first appear as an overly generous and magnanimous move on the part of the leftist factions driving the People’s Republic, especially considering future events. However, one should first understand the fact that the well of left-right cooperation in Korea was not so deeply poisoned at the time as it would soon become. Operating from a position of relative strength, many of these candidates seem to have been chosen by the left in relatively good faith from the pool of veterans from the broader independence movement. The participation of such figures within the movement was considered essential for there being any chance of the KPR being accepted on a widespread basis. Moreover, these men were largely popular and good fits for their respective roles. Kim Ku, for example, beyond serving as the head of the KPG, was renowned as an infiltrator and assassin, giving him some obvious merits as a theoretical head for commanding domestic law and order in the new state.

Of particular note in this list is the choice of Syngman Rhee (Ri Sŭng-man) as chairman. Having spent nearly forty years in exile and at seventy-one years of age, Rhee must have appeared as just the sort of respected and distant figure to best unify the nation. These good feelings between the left and right certainly would not last long. As Hŏ Hŏn would write in late October of that year, “When I was barely twelve or thirteen years old, Dr. Rhee had already started his career with Yi Sang-jae (independence activist, 1850-1927). Because he had been fighting for our country all his life, we selected him as the President of the People’s Republic. If we had known him then for the scoundrel he truly was, we would have never offered him the position.” [1]

It should also not escape one’s notice that, of those prominent right-wing individuals selected, only Kim Sŏng-su was in a position to actively engage with Lyuh. By late August Cho Man-sik had already been made a guest of the Soviets in the rapidly-occupied north, Rhee would not return to Korea until October 16, and Kim Ku and Shin Ik-hŭi (along with the rest of the right-wing of the KPG) would only arrive in the peninsula in late November. Even among the left, Kim Kyu-sik, leader of the moderates in the KPG, would not appear on the scene in Korea until early 1946. With the silent backing of Pak Hŏn-yŏng and his Communists, Lyuh and Hŏ, serving as the Vice-Chairman and Prime Minister respectively, could be said to have effectively crafted a monopoly on real power in the government even as they claimed to extend a hand to the Korean right. It is perhaps telling that on September 8th, the very day that this list was released, Kim Sŏng-su would join with Song Chin-u and others among the still-forming Democratic Party of Korea [South] (DPK) in denouncing the newly established republic.

6jTw2an.jpg

Photograph of Pak Hŏn-yŏng (Left) and Lyuh Woon-hyung (Right), 1945. Source: ChosunIlbo.

The KPR was cast by these conservatives as alternatively being a Communist plot, in large part due to that group’s heavy infiltration of the movement, and more unreasonably, as an extension of the Japanese colonial regime, evidenced by Lyuh’s “corrupt bargain” for power with Endo. While some of these charges would take, the Korean right was firmly on the backfoot at the time. Indeed, having their own large share of former collaborators among their number, the DPK found itself struggling to maintain support in its earliest days. The KPR was highly popular among the masses and Lyuh had become perhaps the most famous man in Korea. Like many socialist influenced republics, the KPR platform on paper called for the guarantee of such human rights as freedom of speech, press, assembly, and faith, and sought universal suffrage, women’s equality, and fair elections, along with the demand for the immediate confiscation of lands held by Japanese and Korean collaborators, the nationalization of major industries, and labor reforms including an eight-hour day and a minimum wage. For a brief moment, the People’s Republic and the left seemed posed to dominate the southern peninsula.

This state of affairs would change drastically, however, with the arrival of US Lieutenant General John R. Hodge in Incheon in early September. Following negotiations with the Soviets, it had been decided that two separate zones of administration were to be established in Korea divided along the 38th Parallel, with the Americans occupying the south and the Soviets the north. As the American forces were largely unprepared for the challenges of administering the country (with very few individuals even knowing the Korean language), after landing Hodge originally announced that the Japanese colonial government would remain intact, including all of its personnel up to the governor-general. The KPR, unrecognized by Hodge due to its predominantly leftist character, was incensed by this and even the DPK voiced its strenuous opposition. Following mass protests and criticism from Washington, Hodge would then dismiss the Japanese heads and replace them with Americans, establishing the United States Army Military Government in Korea (USAMGK). However, the American administration would remain heavily reliant upon the pre-existent Japanese colonial security apparatus throughout its existence, further feeding the opposition.

For nearly a month following Hodge’s arrival, the military government and the KPR engaged in a cold war of their own, each proclaiming themselves to be the proper arbiters of the nation, even as the former swept through the southern peninsula and began to disarm the local popular committees. Though Hodge soon established the Korean Advisory Council (KAC) to engage with local political leaders, further miscalculations on his part would ensure that dissent remained high in the south. This would come to a head on October 5, when Hodge finally deigned to meet with Lyuh in what served to be more an interrogation than a negotiation for each side. Hodge demanded that Lyuh and the KPR cease referring to themselves as a government, made several statements declaring Lyuh to be little more than a Japanese stooge, and only then offered Lyuh a place on the KAC. Lyuh in turn demanded knowledge of American plans for eventual Korean independence and refused this offered seat, decrying the council as being filled with wealthy industrialists and former collaborators from the KDP and thus unrepresentative of the Korean people. Both sides only walked away from the meeting further at odds. It is into this turbulent mixture that Syngman Rhee appeared on October 16, soon setting the peninsula to a roiling boil. [2]

cfdb09719d4938f20399f8f0049acdd6.PNG

Photograph of Syngman Rhee giving a speech shortly after his return to Korea, October 1945. Lt. General Hodge is pictured in the bottom left. Source: Wilson Center Digital Archive

Though not without his controversies even at the time, Rhee was by all accounts welcomed back to Korea by figures from all across the political divide. Fluent in English and already well-intertwined with elements of the new American administration, as a veteran independence leader he seemed the best positioned to voice the concerns of the Korean people to Washington. Thus with the arrival of the KPR’s theoretical chairman, Lyuh briefly tempered its radical rhetoric and agreed to meet with Rhee and the KDP. For the first few days, Rhee seemed to fit his mythologized figure, announcing the creation of a new broad-based coalition to establish self-government under American rule and seek immediate independence.

On October 20, however, any established coalition building efforts would collapse. Though opinions among KDP leadership were rapidly souring on him, Rhee had quickly seized power among the Korean right due to his invaluable American connections. Correctly surmising that the political environment left little room for moderation, Rhee deliberately sought to cut the left out of his new movement. He thus denounced Lyuh as being a tool for the Communist left and the Russians. In response, Lyuh would immediately remove himself from negotiations, working with Hŏ to quickly unseat Rhee from his official position as Chairman of the KPR. In the following weeks, animosity between the two camps would only increase, with Rhee decrying the People’s Republic in a radio address on November 7, declaring it an affront to democracy and calling upon the KDP to “remove the traitors from the country.” Even Hodge, though often far removed from the pulse of the nation he was supposedly running, is recorded as having remarked to his aides of the situation: “we are dwelling at the edge of a volcano about to blow.” The following day saw a slight reprieve from this tension, but only in the sense that it was the calm before the storm.

On November 9, at roughly 10:40 in the morning, both Lyuh Woon-hyung and Hŏ Hŏn were ambushed at two different locations in Seoul by members of a small ultra-right nationalist group, the Black Swords Society. Hŏ Hŏn would be shot in the head, dying immediately at the scene, while Lyuh was shot twice in the abdomen before being spirited away by his bodyguards. Almost immediately riots broke out across the city, further inflamed when rumors spread that the American authorities planned to shut down the Maeil Sinbo (lit. Daily News) on November 10. While supposedly this action was to be undertaken due to outstanding debts held by the newspaper, the Maeil Sinbo had been a constant critic of the USAMGK and was the single largest supporter of the KPR in the press. [3]

Both Pak Hŏn-yŏng’s Communists and Lyuh’s most fervent supporters saw these events as being the spearpoint of a reactionary putsche, one orchestrated by Rhee and the Americans. Now both leaderless and rudderless, the left of the KPR found a firm friend in Pak and Moscow. However tenuous this coalition might have been before November 9, from then on the two groups would march in lockstep in their opposition to Rhee. Together they launched the first mass strike of the Liberation era, bringing all of southern Korea to a temporary halt and forcing the Americans to send troops into Seoul to keep order. When the smoke cleared five days later on November 14, over four hundred Koreans were dead and thousands were injured. In Incheon, the fretful American leadership had feared an immediate drive south by the Soviets in support of a broad Communist uprising. When said uprising failed to materialize by the end of the month, the southern peninsula instead slowly began to put itself back together.

The leaders of the Black Swords Society would be arrested and the Maeil Sinbo was allowed to remain open, but Lyuh would be charged in absentia for supposedly leading an abortive revolt and both the KPR and the Korean Communist Party were declared banned entities by Hodge. With the left now either vanquished or driven underground, Rhee reigned dominant over the Korean political scene in the south, though this being at the cost of his good standing with the American administration. Hodge and Rhee’s relationship would never recover from this point, their mutual animosity lasting until the end of American military control, but Rhee's strident anti-communism kept him at the head of his pack. Hodge himself would barely escape being recalled by superiors, the entire affair being a black eye for Washington, especially after the events of the ensuing month.

On December 11, the worn and haggard-looking Lyuh would emerge in Pyongyang to stand side by side with Kim Sŏng-ju and Cho Man-sik in addressing the Administrative Committee of the Five Provinces (ACFP), having fled to the north with the aid of Pak Hŏn-yŏng and his men. Carrying a cane and still heavily injured from the attempt on his life, Lyuh is said to have nonetheless struck a remarkable figure as he decried the “fascist regime now being propped up in Seoul.” Clearly following the Moscow line, he then announced that he would be joining the Korean civil administration in the north, where the local people’s committees had been somewhat integrated into Soviet peacekeeping efforts. On December 14, Lyuh established the People’s Party of Korea and, together with Cho Man-sik’s Democratic Party of Korea [North] (no relation to the southern entity), quickly gained a following from both locals and supporters of the People’s Republic who followed him north. When the ACFP would be reformed as the Provisional People's Committee of Korea in February 1946, Lyuh's presence would ensure that it would explicitly cast itself as being the true successor organization to both CPKI and the Korean People’s Republic. This organization would quickly grow to become the de facto highest administrative body in northern Korea, with the Soviet Civil Administration placing more and more power into it over time. Despite the enduring presence of several non-Communist parties among its participants, the Soviet leadership accepted these developments as those parties were still joined into the Popular Front and quickly found themselves full of Communist infiltrators. [4]

Though many in the past have alleged covert American support for the Black Swords Society assassins and a deliberate targeting of Lyuh on their part, both the developments above and the subsequent collapse of the United State’s geopolitical position in Korea points to ineptitude, rather than malice, as being at the root of the USAMGK’s actions. Whether or not he was ever a good faith actor, the Soviets had gained a huge propaganda coup over the West with Lyuh's flight north and the collapse of the visage of democracy in southern Korea. Not only that, but the communists suddenly found themselves with a leader with substantial popular support in both the north and south. On an international level, the chaos spawning from what would become known as 'the November 9 Incident' saw the question of Korea stalled at the 1945 Moscow Conference, eventually entirely derailing negotiations between the USA and the Soviets, leading to no formal agreements regarding the peninsula being reached. [5]

[A] This work very roughly corresponds to Bruce Cummings' Origins of the Korean War Vol 1., Chapter 3. As a history of pre-War Korea, the original text is quite interesting but it becomes rather obvious that Cummings is something of an apologist for the northern regime. In this allohistorical text, Curtis Debruce is the opposite, being deeply suspicious of the Communist regime and Lyuh. However, based off his reading of history (and the knock-on effects of future events), his perception of the American presence is quite similar to Cummings, viewing the events in the south as being one mistake after another.

[1] This is from OTL. Rhee didn't have a fantastic name among all of the independence activists, with many viewing him as being a blowhard, but he was respected and known by many of the public at large.

[2] This is all basically true to OTL, with Hodge being as stunningly incompetent in real life as he is in this text.

[3] Here is the most major POD for TTL. In our reality, Lyuh would reorganize the People's Republic into the People's Party in early November, which would gradually lose support over time as radicalism increased. Here, Lyuh is attacked before these plans can be carried out, which will have tremendous effects on the entire peninsula and its political development. The Black Swords Society was invented wholesale, but numerous ultra-right and ultra-left militant groups were active and assassinating people at the time. Lyuh himself would be slain by a far-right North Korean refugee in 1947, despite Lyuh emerging firmly against Pak Hŏn-yŏng’s Communists by that time. Song Chin-u and Kim Ku are two more examples of the bloody business, being assassinated in 1945 and 1949 respectively in OTL. The Maeil Sinbo being shut down on November 10 is OTL.

[4] As I wrote about in Part 1, the Korean Fatherland United Democratic Front (KFUDF) existed in OTL as well, and actually operated as a real popular front for the first few years of its existence, though with the minority parties being heavily infiltrated. Those parties' independence became deeply curtailed during the Korean War however, and though the Popular Front still exists today, both minor parties are just a shell game for the Pyongyang government. Here with the Peoples' Party and a slightly stronger Democratic Party existing for a time, the "popular front" stage will be at least a bit different. However, don't expect the Communists to be supplanted at the top of the heap.

[5] In our reality, the conference ended with the agreement to have a(n up-to) five-year joint US-Soviet trusteeship over Korea followed by eventual independence. This was deeply hated by almost all Koreans who viewed it as a continuation of colonialism, and it deeply undercut the Korean left's support when they suddenly switched to following the Soviet line upon receiving orders from Moscow/Pyongyang after having previously decried it. This was also the issue that finally saw Cho Man-sik fully split from the Communists in the north, leading to his imprisonment and eventual liquidation. And of course, in the end, this idea never came to fruition. Here, following the November 9 Incident, Moscow felt that it was able to demand much more in Korea. The ensuing breakdown in talks caused the idea to be abandoned before ever becoming policy.

EDIT (09/30): Took out the composition of the PPCoK, as the text makes more sense (and flows better) without it. Will instead be included in the next update.

A/N: Hey, it only took me like a week rather than months to update this again! The order of my planned updates may change, but my current plan is:
    4. A chapter on the Development of the Workers' Party, the Popular Front, and Northern Korea until Independence, 1945-1948
    5. Excerpts from: Pak, Sung-jae (September 2017). The Great Betrayal, Anarchism and Communism in Korea, 1919-1954. Albany, NY: SUNY Press. This being a bottom-up historical text compared to the mostly top-down works so far.
    6. First Narrative Segment

Last edited:
    4. North Korea's "Pantheon of Heroes"
  • Rosenheim

Donor
    Lankov, Yuri (March 2002). From Stalinism to Reform: State Formation and Factionalism in the Post-war Korean Peninsula, 1945-1961. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, pp. 28-37. [A]

With the establishment of Lyuh Woon-hyung’s People’s Party in Pyongyang on December 14th, in conjunction with Cho Man-sik’s founding of the Democratic Party of Korea a month earlier and the reemergence of the Ch’ŏndogyo Young Friends’ Party (originally established in 1923), multi-party politics had gained a foothold in northern Korea. However, the development of this system was ultimately only possible due to the truly precarious position of the Soviet-backed leadership in Korea immediately following Liberation.

While support for the Administrative Committee of the Five Provinces (ACFP) was relatively high, owing to the participation of well known anti-Japanese leaders and partisans, public opinion regarding the Soviet Civil Administration (SCA) itself was still heavily weighed down by the actions of the initial wave of Russian troops in the peninsula. For the first few weeks following the Japanese surrender, notable acts of looting and sexual violence against Koreans by the Soviet forces (many being veterans of the German-Soviet theater) caused outrage among the general populace. Though these violent incidents were isolated and the looting largely limited to the extraction of industrial materials and resources for use in the Soviet Far East, the decision to occupy the north necessitated a drastic change in the character of the troops and their political mission.

In the absence of a strong native communist bloc, the SCA ultimately decided to limit efforts to outright delegitimize opposition parties. Instead, Soviet actions during this period largely relied upon the surveillance and extensive infiltration of these groups in order to maintain stability and political control over the peninsula. While theoretically the USSR could have instituted a direct military administration of the north, the resulting occupation would have likely been characterized by the same type of low level violence and political disruption as the American effort in the south. For Soviet geopolitical concerns, the establishment of a “friendly” government took precedence over an orthodoxly Marxist one.

However, this relatively light-handed treatment of non-communist entities in Soviet-held Korea (especially in comparison to the Soviet backed states in Europe) led to a crisis of legitimacy among the Korean communist intelligentsia. Though they maintained a large portion of control over the provincial People’s Committees, this was a direct consequence of the fact that these provincial committees were still being advised by Red Army officers - at the local level there was much wider ideological spectrum at play. As such, many of the leading communists feared that the center-left People’s Party could eventually gain control of the emerging state apparatus, especially if Lyuh was able to successfully position himself as a pliant and loyal figurehead for the SCA outside of the party. It thus became imperative for these cliques to reorganize themselves such that their aspirations towards long term leadership could be properly realized. The 1946-1948 period was thus marked by the fundamental reconceptualization of the nature of communist activities in the north and ultimately the establishment of the Workers’ Party of Korea as the party of the regime.

With regards to factional leadership, the aftermath of the November 9 Incident saw Pak Hŏn-yŏng’s communists driven underground in the south, further disrupting communications and cooperation between the Soviets and the domestic communist movement as a whole. The establishment of the separate Northern Bureau, led at first by Kim Yong-bom and then by the Moscow-backed Kim Sŏng-ju, had eased these issues somewhat, but disagreements between Colonel-General Shtykov and the independent-minded Hyŏn Chun-hyŏk over the long-term viability of united front politics led to no small amount of antipathy between the Soviet administrators and the domestic faction. Additionally, though the Yan’an faction led by Kim Tu-Bong had returned to Korea in autumn 1945, Soviet concerns regarding Mao’s influence in Korea and the forced disarmament of the Chinese-trained troops upon arriving in the country led to their organizing themselves under an entirely separate command structure.

Suspicions of Soviet support for Lyuh Woon-hyung’s increasing stature were confirmed for many in February 1946, when the ACFP was reconstituted as the Provisional People's Committee of Korea (PPCK) following the naming structure of the short-lived republic in Seoul. In contrast to Shtykov, Colonel Alexander M. Ignatiev, the deputy chief of political affairs for the SCA and the chief architect of the new committee, advocated that a broad popular front needed to be established in Korea to account for the unique circumstances of the peninsula. As Shtykov wrote in his journal: “[Ignatiev] argued that the current stage of the Korean revolution is a capitalist one, with the necessity now being to eliminate the remains of Japanese imperialism and sweep away the feudal landlords so as to properly educate the masses for Communism.” While Shtykov himself was less than persuaded of the strict ideological grounding of the affair, he ultimately signed off on the project. [1]

The PPCK thus represented a shift towards this new understanding among the SCA, with non-communist forces gaining substantial positions in the cabinet. Even as Cho Man-sik was pushed out of his position as Chairman, Lyuh Woon-hyung was selected as the Vice-Chairman of the committee while Kim Tae-hyon, leader of the Ch’ŏndogyo Party, became well-positioned in the new government. Of the full 24 members of the committee, only 13 were members of the various Communist factions, with the rest officially being either independent or members of minority parties. Even the composition of the Communist bloc itself saw a number of compromises. The Moscow favorite Kim Sŏng-ju was recognized as Secretary General, but it was the elderly Kim Tu-bong who was granted the coveted Chairman position in order to reconcile the larger Yan’an group to the regime.

This committee proceeded to construct nine official departments of government and three bureaus with Soviet backing, the leadership of these bodies chosen largely from among its membership. The official cabinet would be significantly more communist dominated than the PPCK itself, but the heterodox composition of the communist factions at play and the number of positions reserved for independent groups points towards the relatively weak unity of the communist forces and the commitment of the SCA towards popular front politics during this period. The complete composition of the cabinet was as follows [2]:

Chairman: Kim Tu-bong [Yan’an Faction]
    Vice Chairman: Lyuh Woon-hyung [People’s Party]
    Secretary General: Kim Sŏng-ju (Kim Il-sung) [Manchurian Faction]
    Department of Security: Choe Yong-gon [Democratic Party*]
    Department of Industry: Hyŏn Chun-hyŏk [Domestic Faction]
    Department of Finance: Kim Tae-hyon [Ch’ŏndogyo Party^]
    Department of Health: Cho Man-sik [Democratic Party]
    Department of Transportation: Han Hui-jin [Independent]
    Department of Commerce: Kang Ryang-uk [Democratic Party#]
    Department of Agriculture and Forestry: Ri Pong-su [People’s Party*]
    Department of Justice: Choe Yong-dal [Domestic Faction]
    Department of Education: Pak Chong-ae [Soviet Faction~]
    Planning Bureau: Hŏ Ka-i [Soviet Faction]
    Propaganda Bureau: O Ki-sŏp [Domestic Faction]
    General Affairs Bureau: Ri Ju-yon [Manchurian Faction]

(*Though on paper being members of the Democratic Party and People’s Party respectively, both Choe Yong-gon and Ri Pong-su were in truth Manchurian partisans and secret members of the Communist Party.)
    (#Kang Ryang-uk was Kim Sŏng-ju's maternal uncle, thus likely Communist influenced.)
    (^The Ch’ŏndogyo Young Friends’ Party largely consisted of the left-leaning peasants and was based out of native Korean religious organizations.)
    (~Pak Chong-ae was the sole female member of the committee, also serving as the chairperson for the Korean Democratic Women's League. While married to fellow Communist leader Kim Yong-bom, Pak would hold far more influence in the regime.)

The PPCK would also release a 27 point platform (copied in large part directly from the 1945 PRK platform), including but not limited to: the complete purge of the remaining traces of Japanese imperialism, guarantees for personal and political freedoms, the implementation of labor protections such as an eight-hour work day, and (most importantly) immediate and rapid land reform. [3]

Within a month of the PPCK's establishment, land reform was well underway, though there was some disagreement among the PPCK members regarding the exact division of land. For example, while all land above five chongbo or roughly 12 acres was confiscated without compensation, the Democratic Party favored a “4-6” split of the land remaining below that amount between the landlords and tenants, while the communists and the People's Party backed a more radical “3-7” division, with the former landlords being located to new areas. However, on the whole land reform was extremely popular among all parties, being a longstanding demand of the peasantry for centuries. Local leaders and PPCK operatives would successfully redistribute 79% of all land ownerships (roughly 49% of the total land area of northern Korea) to 700,000 peasant households. Land was seized from “national traitors,” religious organizations, and absentee landlords, and allocated to the poorest elements of village society and all debts between landlords and peasants were erased.

Compared to land reforms in China and the Soviet Union, there was relatively little violence in Soviet-controlled Korea, though pockets of resistance and reprisals between bad blooded neighbors certainly occurred. This relative calm was due in large part to the fact that the border between north and south remained porous and open for refugee movement. Most landlords had already fled when the Russians first invaded and, after the March 1946 Land Reform, many of those who had originally chosen to remain now followed them south. Perhaps the most significant effect of land reform was that it gave perhaps 50 percent of the total population of northern Korea a vital stake in the new regime.

While the minority parties were largely appeased by their high position in the popular front and the success of the early political projects of PPCK, it should be understood that the SCA had by no means abandoned its plans towards developing the nascent Communist Party in Korea. By early March of 1946, the Soviets pushed for talks for a full reconciliation between the Northern Bureau of the Communist Party and the Korean Independence League. Among the Koreans, these talks were largely driven by a three-way alliance between Kim Tu-bong, Kim Sŏng-ju, and Hyŏn Chun-hyŏk, with Ignatiev again being the main proponent among the Soviets. From April 26 to 29, the 1st Congress of the Workers’ Party of Korea was held in Pyongyang, with the four day session determining the leadership, organization, and ideological grounding for a merger of the two parties. [4]

Far from being a simple affair, the organization of the Workers’ Party represented a significant ideological and political battle for the party membership. Over 800 delegates took part in the congress, with a wide variety of ideological differences between them. Whereas Kim Tu-bong and Hyŏn Chun-hyŏk both advocated for a mass-based party centered around both peasants and workers, the majority of the domestic faction argued for the establishment of an orthodox Bolshevik-style vanguard party - these views perhaps being best represented by O Ki-sŏp. Additionally, support for the merger was tepid at best among the membership of both parties, with many accurately viewing it as being a development largely imposed by the SCA. Ultimately, however, Soviet-backing carried the day with Kim Sŏng-ju throwing his support behind the calls for a mass-based organization, though one that would fiercely maintain ideological unity in purpose. Opponents of the merger were outmaneuvered, being labeled as right-opportunists by both Kim Tu-bong and Kim Sŏng-ju, and the resolution merging the parties passed with little difficulty in the actual vote. The Central Committee of the party was then established, consisting of 43 members (13 thought to be of the Yan'an faction, 11 Domestic, 7 Soviet-Korean, 3 Manchurian partisans, and the remaining 9 being relative independents).

ZDrcdub.jpg

Photograph of (from left to right) A. M. Ignatiev (?), Pak Chong-ae, Kim Sŏng-ju, Kim Tu-bong, and General Nikolai Lebedev at the 1st Congress of the Workers’ Party of Korea. Note the presence of the portraits of Stalin and Lenin behind Kim Sŏng-ju and Kim Tu-bong respectively. Source: Wikimedia Commons (edited).

With that, the new party “the Workers’ Party of Korea” (WPK) was established, becoming the party of the working masses (minjung) with a membership of over 300,000 people. The 1st Plenary Session of the Central Committee convened on April 30, with Kim Tu-bong being chosen as Chairman and Kim Sŏng-ju and Chu Yong-ha (a member of the domestic faction) as his deputies. Ho Ka-i (Soviet) and Choe Chang-ik (Yan’an) were elected to complete the leadership of the 1st Central Committee. Together this group laid out the political ambitions of the Workers' Party and outlined their relationships with the other Korean parties, steering for a more moderate course per the wishes of Kim Tu-bong and Kim Sŏng-ju. Special accommodations were made for the southern communists, with the Seoul branch remaining under the control of Pak Hŏn-yŏng, who himself was attempting to construct a broad-based coalition in opposition to American rule.

Coming out of this congress, one could be forgiven for operating under the understanding that Kim Tu-bong had emerged as the firm leader of the Korean communists, or at least heading a troika under himself, Kim Sŏng-ju, and perhaps Chu Yong-ha. In truth, leadership of the Workers’ Party remained heavily split among the various factions. Despite constructing a party that was heavily Stalinist in nature, in the early period few figures could even attempt to develop a monopoly on power. While Kim Tu-bong was the party chairman, Kim Sŏng-ju maintained the firm backing of Shtykov and even excepting the elected leadership, individuals like Pak Hŏn-yŏng in the south and Kim Mu-jŏng and Hyŏn Chun-hyŏk in the north maintained strong power bases inside the party.

Additionally, while popular due to their noteworthy and longstanding resistance to Japan during the war-time period, almost all of this cohort had been drawn from outside of Korea itself. In contrast to Lyuh Woon-hyung or Cho Man-sik, no individual communist leader was broadly known throughout the entire country. Propaganda efforts had begun almost at once to rectify this, but the inability of the SCA and the communist factions to organize around a single unifying leader led to somewhat confused messaging. What emerged is a state of affairs that can be best understood from a phrase originating from period propaganda itself: Yŏng'ung Yŏdan, famously (or perhaps infamously) translated by Erich Lars as the flowery “Pantheon of Heroes,” or more accurately as the Heroes’ Brigade. In this imagery, no one central communist figure liberated Korea from Japanese rule, but rather the collective will of the Korean people had coalesced into a company of heroes who had fought the Japanese throughout Asia. Pictures and stories of Kim Tu-bong, Kim Sŏng-ju, Pak Hŏn-yŏng, Kim Mu-jŏng, and many other communist leaders spread across the northern peninsula as the Workers’ Party began to compete with the People’s Party and Democratic Party in earnest. [5]

Besides land reform, the first major act of the PPCK was to organize nationwide elections for the city, county, and provincial-level People’s Committees, with the first of these taking place in November 1946. As all the major parties were unified under the Korean Fatherland United Democratic Front (KFUDF), for the vast majority of electoral districts only a single candidate was selected for the ballot. The voters could either approve of this candidate by placing the candidate's name in a white box or disapprove (and thus deselecting the candidate) by placing it in a black box. While deselection was uncommon, as these individuals were drawn from the local leadership of the already established People’s Committees, it was recorded in a number of cases. Additionally, there were a small number of districts (roughly 200 of 3,461 total) where direct competition took place between the various parties, with the People's Party and the DPK succeeding more often than not in defeating WPK candidates. [6]

TvobHs9.png

Campaigning for election in North Korea. Source: Suzy Kim, Everday Life in the North Korean Revolution/National Archives and Record Administration

With a reported 96% voter turnout (and 98% electoral approval for KFUDF candidates), the elections were seen as a great success on the whole for the PPCK. Of the 3,461 delegates, the Workers’ Party elected 782, the People's Party 403, the DPK 366, and the Ch’ŏndogyo Party 212. The remaining 1,698 delegates (slightly less than half of the total elected) were not affiliated with any party. While fundamentally flawed, as much of the electoral competition happened only in the candidate selection phase rather than the election itself, there was broad participation and enthusiasm for these elections at the local level. [7]

With the majority of the delegates being peasants, workers, and laborers, and 16.2 percent being women, the People's Committees more accurately represented the Korean social structure than any other governmental body before in the nations’ history. However, though a sign of success for the communist-led north, these revolutionary changes and the development of this (highly restrictive) multi-party system weakened the possibility of peaceful unification with the American-controlled regime in the south. With the October 1946 interim legislative elections taking place throughout southern Korea, the borders between the two halves of Korea were rapidly hardening into distinct states.

[A] Again, this text as whole pays homage to Andrei Lankov's From Stalin to Kim Il Sung: The Formation of North Korea, 1945–1960, Rutgers University Press, 2003, though strong elements from Chapter 2-5 of Charles Armstrong's The North Korean Revolution, 1945-1950, Cornell University Press, 2003 have utilized in the writing of this chapter. I do recommend caution when using Armstrong though, as he was caught up in a rather major scandal regarding his citations a few years ago - in that he fully plagiarized another historian's work when writing another one of his books on North Korea, Tyranny of the Weak. Since then people have gone back through his older texts and found more than a few errors and misattributions, though on the whole the information is still credible.

[1] Lyuh's presence in the north is kickstarting some of the first major changes. Though this is largely similar to OTL, the growing strength of the People's Party is leading to a greater embracing of an anti-feudal popular front due to the weaker position of the communists, with some within the SCA considering placing Lyuh at the head.

[2] The PPCK existed in OTL, with many of the same members. However, whereas in OTL Kim Il-sung had the firm backing of the SCA and disorganized factions arranged against him, he himself is in a far weaker position ITTL. As such, he has been relegated to the (still powerful) role of general secretary.

[3] In OTL Kim Il-sung would release a 20 point program that is roughly similar in scope. Lyuh's high ranking in the PPCK leads to greater connections being made with the failed People's Republic in the south than is truly accurate.

[4] This is happening nearly four months ahead of OTL's schedule, due to the threat of the People's Party to the WPK's potential support base. As such, whereas Kim Il-sung was able to firmly establish himself as leader in OTL (if an unloved one by many of the factions), here he is only able to be elected to the wider leadership.

[5] As previously stated, this was the main PoD I've sought to arrive at. ITTL early North Korea lacks a strong central figure, though powerful leaders will certainly emerge over the course of its history. I myself am very unsure of the Korean used here, so please let me know if there is a better phrasing/translation.

[6] These elections took place in roughly the same manner as OTL, though with greater competition occurring in some areas ITTL.

[7] In OTL, the final results were 1,102 deputies being affiliated with the Workers' Party of North Korea, 352 with the Korean Democratic Party, 253 with the Ch’ŏndogyo Party, and 1,753 being independents (for a total of 3,459 deputies). Here the People's Party has eaten heavily into the Workers' Party and slightly into the Ch’ŏndogyo Party.

A/N: Well, it's been a while but I'm glad I got this out. It certainly doesn't take us to 1948 and I haven't even begun to describe the composition of the People's Party, so that's the next chapter being outlined.

I'm also working on a small image guide for the ludicrous cast of characters at play. Finding images is pretty damn hard though. If anyone can find a picture of Kim Tae-hyon, the leader of the Ch’ŏndogyo Party, I'd be extremely grateful.

Last edited:
    5. Development of the People's Party
  • Rosenheim

Donor
    Curtis-Lee, Samantha (June 1998). “The Early Korean Party System (1945-1952),” Bulletin Koreana, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 211-230. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, (pp. 213-215 below). [1]

… Claiming a membership of 30,000 people as soon as January 1946 shortly after its founding, rapidly increasing to over 450,000 by 1948, the People’s Party was truly a mass party. Drawing its political strength from both the rural and urban poor, it directly competed with the Workers’ Party (and to a lesser degree the Ch’ŏndogyo Party) for support, with its primary political goals being land reform and the “elimination of feudal values.” [2]

Historians have commonly cast the People’s Party as having operated as a loose collection of moderate social democrats and other center-leftists outside of the communist sphere. In truth, the party should be considered a far more disparate amalgamation of political vagabonds of all ideological stripes and colors. While the core of the party was indeed formed around Lyuh Woon-hyung’s true believers from the south and more recent center-left converts in the north, large sections of the party also included those elements of the far-left unwelcome in the Workers’ Party, such as those favorable to Trotskyism or anarchism. Additionally, a small number of centrists and center-rightists who viewed Lyuh as the true leader of a democratic Korea were significant in the party, including those who were suspicious of the more overtly religious leanings of Cho Man-sik’s Democratic Party and Kim Tae-hyon’s Ch’ŏndogyo Party.

It is also a mistake to consider the party as having merely existed as a moderating force on the Workers’ Party throughout the 1945-1950 period. Though largely regarded by the Soviets as a petty bourgeois party, on a number of issues the People’s Party was either as left-wing as the communists or had adopted even more radical stances. With regards to land reform, for example, the resistance fighter and anarchist-turned-social democrat (and former KPG member) Kim Won-bong advocated for a harsher “2-8” split between the landlords and tenants than the “3-7” split adopted by the United Democratic Front as a whole (and far from the “4-6” system desired by the moderate Cho Man-sik). Despite being a devoted communist Hŏ Chŏng-suk, the daughter of the martyred Hŏ Hŏn, chose to join with her father's partner and advocated for a notably progessive understanding of women’s liberation as part of the People’s Party. Ri Yong, a follower of Lyuh from the south, argued for the immediate reunification of Korea through the use of armed force. Even Ri Pong-su, a Manchurian partisan close to Kim Sŏng-ju, was not seen as out of place as part of the party’s left flank. [3/4/5]

It was precisely the amorphous ideological character of the party, in conjunction with Lyuh’s overwhelming popularity, which allowed it to directly challenge the unspoken supremacy of the Worker’s Party in the 1946 and 1947 People’s Committee elections, becoming the second largest party in northern Korea. Following the indirect election of the Provisional People’s Assembly of Korea held from 17-20 February 1947, the Workers’ Party held 65 seats (27%), the People’s Party 42 (18%), the Democratic Party 31 (13%), the Ch’ŏndogyo Party 23 (10%), and independents 76 (32%). While the Workers’ Party led the political agenda, there was some degree of actual democracy at play. [6]

g9Cxyhk.png

Perhaps the greatest asset to the People’s Party throughout the first party system was Lyuh Woon-hyung’s ability to maintain the careful balance of interpersonal alliances present in the north. Much has been written about Lyuh’s apparent siding with Cho Man-sik in the aftermath of the 2nd Sam-il Movement of 1948 and its related strikes and protests. However, behind the scenes, Lyuh’s relationships with the leading figures of the Workers’ Party and the SCA were just as significant in resolving that situation to his personal benefit. When the dust settled in the north with the (re-)establishment of the Korean People’s Republic on September 6 1948 (the third anniversary of the 1st KPR’s founding), Lyuh’s position as Vice-Chairman of the PPCK was duly transformed into the office of Vice-President under the premier-presidential system adopted by the new constitution. [7/8]

Lyuh maintained his relationship with the Communist leadership through several points of contact. With Pak Hŏn-yŏng having relocated to the north in June 1947, his previous alliance with Lyuh allowed for a direct conduit of information between the Workers’ Party Central Committee and the People’s Party, especially as both worked towards organizing a general uprising in the south. Moreover, Kim Tu-bong and Lyuh shared a relatively close relationship as Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the PPCK (and later as President and Vice-President of the 2nd KPR), with careful criticism of the communists being accepted within certain bounds. Finally, Kim Sŏng-ju, being the new Premier of the People’s Assembly, had doubled down on the more moderate course of the popular front after the March 1st incident and maintained weekly meetings with Lyuh to ensure a good working relationship. While Lyuh was not universally loved among the left, having a notably poor relationship with O Ki-sŏp and much of the northern domestic faction outside of Hyŏn Chun-hyŏk, he had held to the Moscow line on most matters and was pliant to SCA demands, keeping him in good standing with the party as a whole. [9]

Historians have often debated Lyuh Woon-hyung’s true political character, with his having adopted stances spanning from center-left liberalism to orthodox communism throughout his lifetime. The old Harvard-school placed him as either a communist patsy or direct infiltrator while the revisionist school descended from Erich Lars has granted him significantly more personal agency. In recent years, several political analysts such as Cynthia Wallace have claimed that a number of health issues stemming from the 1945 assassination attempt left Lyuh increasingly vulnerable to manipulation. Regardless, by 1948 Lyuh had emerged as a political chimera in the north and, despite his ailing health, the People’s Party appeared to many as if it were on the cusp of seizing power. [10]

With the benefit of hindsight, the close of this first period can be placed into the context of the collapse of “people’s democracy” as a political strategy in the Soviet-backed states of Eastern Europe between 1948 and 1957. The antagonism between international capitalism and these workers’ states ultimately made these projects unworkable in the long-term, leading to the establishment of either one party states (as in Hungary, Romania) or the political elimination of popular social democratic parties as independent entities (East Germany, Czechoslovakia, Poland). While the historical characteristics of Korea as a political entity were far removed from those of the (later) Warsaw pact, the inherent contradictions of Soviet democracy would make themselves known through the events of late 1950…

[1] In contrast to China and Japan, in OTL there is a distinct lack of English-language academic journals focused on Korean history and politics. For example, with regards to Japan two of the most prominent journals are Monumenta Nipponica, based out of Sophia Univeristy in Tokyo and the Journal of Japanese Studies headquartered from the University of Washington. For China, one can consider the Harvard Journal of Asiatic Studies and the Journal of Chinese History from Cambridge. Korea, on the other hand lacks any firm support base, with articles outside of the Korean-language largely being printed in general Asia or East Asia journals. While the Journal of Korean Studies existed at University of Washington as well, it lacked the prestige of other area studies journals and was published only intermittently, needing to be revived several times. ITTL, future events cast Korea into a more enduring position within the academic consciousness as compared to the brief blip caused by the Korean War. The Bulletin Koreana is perhaps the most prestigious journal, but there are several others of note.

[2] For comparison's sake, in OTL 1946 the Workers' Party held a membership of 600,000. The Ch’ŏndogyo Party also claimed a membership of 200,000, but this is severely over-inflated with perhaps 30,000 - 60,000 being a more reasonable number as a guess. ITTL, the Workers' Party is only slightly ahead of the People's Party by 1948, with 550,000 claimed members, though institutionally it is still far more powerful than the People's Party due to its strong links with "non-partisan" mass organizations such as the Democratic Youth League and the Women's League. As in OTL, by 1948 almost every person living in northern Korea is linked to at least one mass organization, if not several - this being a mixture of widespread participation in the new "democracy" as well as a system of mass surveillance (and discipline, to borrow from that fuddy-duddy Foucault) by the party locals.

[3] In OTL, Kim Won-bong was the deputy commander of the Korean Liberation Army (part of the KPG) and returned with them to South Korea. He disagreed heavily with the right-wing leading the civilian elements of the military government and eventually moved north to participate in the Soviet-held zone, where he would hold high rank in government. He would be purged by Kim Il-sung in 1958. ITTL, with the suppression of even the moderate left in the south, he headed north slightly earlier and joined up with Lyuh by 1946.

[4] Hŏ Chŏng-suk, also known as Ho Jong-suk, was a remarkable woman and did indeed advocate for women's liberation in OTL North Korea as a member of the Workers' Party. Besides being the daughter of Hŏ Hŏn, she was also the ex-wife of Yan'an faction member Choe Chang-ik and having been in exile in China throughout the 1930s was largely counted among their number, though she remarried several times and had an independent power base within the faction. She argued for free-love, criticized the family, and sought for women's economic indendence from men within the new society of the north. The Workers' Party ultimately advocated for a far more traditional continuation of the family unit and while women's education and political participation were still championed in name by the state, much of the social reforms of the early years were either rolled back or made toothless. Hŏ would briefly Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of North Korea before being purged from power, though she would return to minor roles in government in the 70s and 80s. She lived until 1991.

[5] Ri Pong-su being a member of the Workers' Party in OTL, heavily linked to Kim Il-sung.

[6] The numbers in OTL being 86 for the WP, 30 DP, 30 CP, the rest being held by independents. ITTL the body has slightly more power, meeting more often then the rubber stamp to the Presidium of OTL. Both the change in numbers and character are due to the different political situation in the north.

[7] The 2nd Sam-il Movement will be the focus of the next update.

[8] This is a major change, with OTL North Korea having a nominal head of state position held by Kim Tu-bong and a head of government held by Kim Il-sung. As Soviet-held Korea is attempting to portray itself as being more democratic, it is deliberately aping element of Western democracies to maintain this image. It also has the benefit of raising up Kim Il-sung from his lower position ITTL, with him being presented as the youthful face of the party backed by the Soviets. Additionally, ITTL the KPR is recognized as the "true ideological predecessor" to this new government, with it adopting the same name and stylings. In OTL the KPR was respected in the DPRK but was also seen as a failure due to the broader left being unable to unite and resist the US military.

[9] In OTL Pak Hŏn-yŏng and Lyuh Woon-hyung fell out with one another after 1945, with both competing for control of the left wing in the south. Their relationship would sour considerably, with each attempting to have the other harassed and arrested. Lyuh and Kim Il-sung were largely affable in comparison, with Kim viewing Pak more as a rival for control of the communists than as an ally. Here the relationship between the three is quite different, with the factional infighting largely contained with the Workers' Party as Kim Tu-bong's grip on power grows increasingly weak in the face of the rising People's Party.

[10] Here again we see mention of Erich Lars, who will be the first writer of the "revisionist school" of history regarding communist Korea. Within the historical sense, revisionism is not support for dictatorship but rather a challenging of orthodoxy and interpretation of the historical record. Beginning in the early 1970s, Lars will be one of the first to identify the "home-grown" characteristics of Korean communism, rather than simply labeling the leadership of the state as being Russian-installed puppets. He will face push-back, much of it very reasonable, for the level of independence he ascribes to the regime.

A/N: So far, much of my writing has painted a rather rosy picture of the Soviet-held north. This will change with my next planned chapter from perspective of the work The Great Betrayal, Anarchism and Communism in Korea, 1919-1954. I will also be posting my visual guide to the government soon, as there are just too many damn names for most to keep track of.

Beyond that, I'll have at least 2 chapters on social changes and development, 1 on the situation in the south, and 1 on international affairs (regarding Korea, as butterflies are being kept relatively minimal until the mid 1950s).

Last edited:
    6. The Great Betrayal (Part 1)
  • Rosenheim

Donor
    A/N: This was getting quite long, so I split this chapter in two. I don't normally put an A/N at the front, but I wanted to note ahead of time that the text below's representation of anarchism in Korea is perhaps not as neutral or fact-based as it should be, something that can certainly arise when seeking to revise the historical records about a subject you are passionate about. Happy Holidays, have some totalitarianism.

Pak, Sung-jae (September 2017). “Chapter 4: The Origins of Popular Action and Resistance during Liberation,” The Great Betrayal: Anarchism and Communism in Korea, 1919-1954. Albany, NY: SUNY Press, pp. 91-97. [A]

As outlined in Chapter 2, the Japanese colonial project in Korea operated within a complex system of surveillance and subjugation. The severity and scale of Japanese state terror in its later stages acted so as to condition the populace into total docility, seeking to eliminate avenues of resistance through the control of speech, free association, expression, and thought. The power of this police state in Korea was never total, even in the midst of the worst days of the Asia-Pacific War when the totalitarian mobilization of the body politic through State Shintoism, mass conscription, and forced labor became an all-pervasive norm. However, it is clear that anti-Japanese action operated in reaction to the totalitarian conditions which engendered it. From its explosive emergence onto the scene with the mass protests of the March 1st Movement of 1919 until the arrival of Soviet and US forces strangled any post-war experiment in the cradle, it was ultimately anarchist principles which guided native Korean resistance to Japanese colonialism.

While there were many Korean anarchisms existing in multiplicity with one another, during the period perhaps the predominant understanding of the ideology in Korea was one that was simultaneously nationalist and anarcho-syndicalist in practice. Though national anarchism has since come to be dominated by the activities of small far-right wing paramilitary groups, at the time the demand for Korean liberation from oppressive Japanese rule meshed well with calls for a society built upon theories of limited central government and Kroptkinite mutual aid. The two decades following the first 3-1 Movement saw the emergence of widespread social movements which sought to self-educate, organize, and protect peasants and workers at the local level. At its peak during the early 1930s, Korean anarchism(s) held broad and popular ideological sway, with arms of cooperation stretching into Manchuria, Japan, and China proper. To provide a proper accounting of the ideology, this chapter seeks to address the following questions: How did anarchism come to pervade the Korean masses? What form did anarchist resistance take in everyday life? And how did anarchism inform mass action during and immediately after Liberation? [1]

The Establishment of Anarchist Thought in Korea

While the tired trope of Korea being desperately torn between the influence of China and Japan has been rightfully retired in recent years, it is true that the two primary entry points of anarchism into the Korean political discourse were not located in the peninsula itself. Instead anarchism came to Korea through the unorthodox political education of its emigres in Shanghai, the familiar haunt of Korean political exiles, and Tokyo, the center of an empire that was itself already being torn apart by its contradictions. In Shanghai, Koreans joined with Chinese and Japanese anarchists influenced by the French and Russian schools. This would culminate in alliance as the Quanzhou Movement in 1928, where the three groups relocated to Fujian Province in an attempt to educate Chinese peasants and train them in self defense from bandits and communist groups. In contrast, the anarchist movement in Japan proper was more closely associated with its native communists, though there was a distinct split between the two groups after 1922. In deeply political Tokyo, joint Japanese-Korean archarchist newspapers and reading groups flourished, while in the more industrial Osaka, anarchists were directly involved in labor organization among Korean factory workers. Though perhaps the most famous example of this union was that of the anarchist couple Pak Yol and Fumiko Kaneko, who were arrested in Tokyo during the anti-Korean terror after the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923 for allegedly plotting against the imperial family, it was the industrial experience which more strongly impacted the anarchist movement in Korea. In conjunction with the nationalist influenced training of the agricultural anarchists based in China, as individuals moved back and forth between the metropole, the colonies, and political safe havens in exile they spread their understanding of anarchism as not just a political ideology but as a methodology for resistance. In this manner, so too did the writings of Osugi Sakae and Pyotr Kropotkin begin to find their purchase in Korea proper. [2]

u0qJwQb.jpg

Photograph of the Chinese, Korean, and Japanese founders of the anarchist Quanzhou Movement in Fujian, c. 1928. Source: Association for Anarchism Studies (Blog)

Between 1920 and 1945, anarchist thought impacted nearly every major political ideology in the peninsula, from the broad-based left-wing rhetoric later utilized by Hyŏn Chun-hyŏk and Lyuh Woon-hyung to even the ultra-nationalism adopted by many rightists in the south. Kim Seong-suk (1898-1953), an independence activist, socialist, and Buddhist monk wrote of the early intellectual ferment of the 1920s: “Anarchism was the most popular among all the -isms. I think all of the leftist ideas were infused in it. For anarchism, I read Kroptikin’s Confession. This was a very good book for [even the understanding of] socialism.” In the face of the Japanese government's absolute monopoly on force, by necessity indigenous resistance was decentralized and largely leaderless, instead relying upon mass action in bringing about lasting social change. The political strategies for resistance were threefold: direct and indirect protest in both industrial and agricultural contexts, mass-emigration to areas outside of direct state surveillance, and, after the Japanese invasion of Manchuria, armed mobile insurgency. [3]

Political Strategies for Mass Action

To begin with industrial protests, between 1915 and 1928 Korean participation in the Japanese industrial economy rapidly increased both in Korea itself as well as in Japan proper, with an increasing segment of the Korean populace available as a cheap labor force due to declining land ownership (as will be addressed below). Their participation in the workforce was matched by a growing participation in labor activism, with the Yūaikai (Greater Japan Labor Federation) adopting the hereto unprecedented stance of fighting for the equal treatment of Japanese and Korean laborers in 1921. However, in the midst of the Great Depression, Japanese capitalists routinely used Korean workers to divide the labor movement, with firms downsizing targeting Koreans in Japan at far higher rates than their Japanese compatriots. By 1932, the Yūaikai had reversed their stance, being well along the way in its transformation into a right-wing government-directed organization. Following the invasion of China in 1937, Koreans would once again be widely utilized as a cheap labor force to fill the ranks of mobilized soldiers and to increase wartime industrial capacity. Pyongyang became a center of industrial activity close to the front, with Japanese-owned chemical plants, steel mills, and munition factories filling the skyline.

In this context, Korean labor activism varied considerably. During the earlier period, strike activity was conducted alongside Japanese laborers seeking better working conditions, cooperating as relative equals. Following the economic collapse of the late 1920s, however, these labor activities took on a far more radical and nationalist character even under the pall of desperation and coercion. Protests, work stoppages, and sabotage were all notable labor actions conducted by Koreans both in the peninsula and abroad, but these also had severe risks associated with them. Perhaps the most popular avenue of resistance was the simple abandonment of duties. Between 1939 and 1942, for example, a mining company in Hokkaido lost close to a third of its conscripted laborers after they fled its horrible conditions. Similar events would be repeated by Koreans elsewhere, with mass action impeding the war production effort. [4]

With regards to agricultural protests, the late 1910s and 1920s saw a tremendous expansion of agricultural capacity in southern Korea, with the first World War leading to a rice boom in the peninsula due to shortages in Japan. However, this explosive growth saw its benefits limited to the Japanese administrators and the absentee Korean landlords, with rising prices for rice crops seeing only increased taxation for tenant farmers along with a continual demand to limit their own consumption of grains to millet, wheat, and barley imported from abroad. As close to seventy percent of the rural population operated as tenants and semi-tenants, this state of affairs being a continuation of late Chosŏn economic trends in land tenure rather than a direct Japanese imposition, the increasing power of the landlords placed higher and higher pressures upon rural farmers and limited any form of social mobility.

Tenancy protests in the early 1920s operated under the relative moderation of Japanese cultural policies brought about after the 3-1 Movement. These initial protests were largely limited to the heavily commercialized agriculture of the south, with the demands including landlords paying their own rising land taxes rather than merely passing the economic burden down to their tenants, rent reduction, and the allowance of additional self-cultivation. These nascent peasant unions utilized threats of non-cultivation or harvest reduction while refusing to pay rents. Though a few groups made some limited headway, these movements were largely ineffectual and were often suppressed by force, especially after 1926. After the beginning of the Great Depression in 1929, efforts to simply improve local economic situations fell by the wayside in the face of widespread starvation and destitution.

During the 1930s the Japanese domination of the peninsula and overall economic collapse saw the regression of land ownership among hundreds of thousands of Korean peasants. Former self-cultivators and semi-tenants were forced into highly unfair tenancy agreements where they proceeded to accumulate massive debt. Thus the conditions on the ground saw the limited agricultural reformers transform into rural revolutionaries. The most enduring form of agricultural protest in the public mind from the period are the so-called Red Peasants Unions (chŏksaek nongmin chohap), in large part because of their later subordination to the dominating narratives of the post-Liberation Korean People’s Republic. In truth these were a diverse array of local actors whose activities spanned over a decade, but a broad set of attributes as to the nature of these projects can be outlined. These organizations were largely based in the less populated north of the peninsula, where the percentage of land owner-cultivators was relatively high. Local peasant unions routinely acted as the nucleus of (limited) self-governance where, unlike the previous reformist disputes, protests directly confronted colonial officials and mobilized large numbers of the peasantry.

Northeastern Korea in particular had long been considered a provincial backwater and was often excluded from the political decision making in Korea even prior to Japanese rule. Before the 1930s, governmental interference in the north, while present, was largely limited to the population centers near Pyongyang. This made the sudden outburst of insubordination in the rural Hamgyŏng provinces appear all the more surprising to the Japanese colonial elite. Beginning in 1931, mass protests among Korean villagers sought not only a fairer accommodation with their landlords, but a revision of tax policy, the end of governmental interference into village affairs, an end to discrimination against Koreans, and a loosening of overall political restrictions. Far from being spontaneous actions, these protests were highly organized with the self-led unions often holding reading circles and night schools for political education. The Japanese response to these demands were often brutal, with thousands arrested and forced into colonial prisons. After the wider invasion of China, political suppression of these groups would become only more intense.

Though direct protest was notable, indirect protest was far more common and lasted throughout the wartime years. With agricultural goods like rice and cotton being demanded by the militarist regime to feed and clothe the ever-growing Japanese machine of war, farmers would often hide crops from tax assessors and secretly shift their production to wheat and barley. Korean villagers spread anti-Japanese rumors, sang folk songs with coded messages of resistance, and routinely hid from the ever-increasing conscriptions to fill the labor shortages in factories and mines in both Korea and abroad. There was also a notable uptick in the amount of Koreans continuing the trend of fleeing to the outskirts of Manchuria and other places beyond the direct reach of the state.

Mass emigration as a political strategy began as early as the annexation of Korea in 1910, with hundreds of thousands of Koreans fleeing to Manchuria, Russia, and elsewhere over the next thirty years. Manchuria in particular saw sustained settlement as the borderland between the two regions was porous and, despite the often harsh conditions, a substantial community of Koreans was present even prior to the 1931 Manchurian Incident. Even after their invasion of the region, Japanese political control over Manchuria was tenuous and waxed and waned with troop movements and their strength of arms. While the activities of the communist partisans in the region have been long celebrated by the KPR, contemporaneous with (and by some accounts preceding) them was the anarchist controlled region that became known as the New Korean People’s Association (Shimin Joseon Ch'ongyŏnhaphoe). [5]

By 1929, there were close to two million Koreans in Manchuria, living in disparate villages throughout the border provinces. Drawn from the anarchist tradition in China, as the Manchurian warlord Zhang Zuolin’s power collapsed, the Korean Anarchist Federation in Manchuria (KAFM) and the Korean Anarcho-Communist Federation (KACF) emerged as several of the leading political entities in the region, alongside anti-Stalinist left-wing forces and a group loyal to the right-wing Korean Provisional Government based in Shanghai. Working in close cooperation with one another, the two anarchist groups founded an autonomous zone of loose control, operating on the basis of mutual aid and personal liberty. Villages and camps were run based on the principles of participatory democracy, with elected officers training their participants in local governance and self defense. Following the Japanese invasion in 1931, however, the People’s Association dissolved. Rather than attempting to hold territory, the KAFM and KACF instead devoted all resources to resisting the advance of the invading army using hit and run tactics, even as they themselves suffered raids and assassination attempts from both the Japanese and Stalinist aligned forces. Despite this acrimonious relationship with the communists, in 1935 the anarchists chose to align themselves with the broader Chinese communist forces in a popular front, continuing to fight against Japan until Liberation.

1S3PpPd.jpg

Rough representation of partisan zone of influence in Manchuria, c. 1930. The green zone corresponds to anti-Stalinist leftist groups, the purple to the anarchists, and the yellow the KPG-aligned rightists. Source: HelloHistory (Blogpost)

When the surrender of Japan came in August 1945, what has been described as a spontaneous uprising rocked all of Korea. Villages and cities began to self-organize, fields were seized from absentee landlords, and laborers took over factories and established workers’ councils. Far from being an awakening to the age of mass politics, as Curtis Debruce once wrote, Koreans utilized the political training and methods of resistance they had been learning diligently for the past thirty five years to seize power from their oppressors. Unfortunately, the masses soon found themselves in the grip of not only two foreign occupiers, but a class of imposed leadership which would quickly target the hard-earned rights and freedoms they had just won...

[A] The above work is built from my reading of two texts: Dongyoun Hwang's Anarchism in Korea, Albany, NY: SUNY Press, 2016 and Gi-Wook Shin's Peasant Protest & Social Change in Colonial Korea, Seattle, WA: University of Washington Press, 1996. The pro-anarchist slant of the former work is represented in my own text here, as Hwang outlines a hugely popular anarchist movement yet it unable to truly provide evidence for it within his (extremely fascinating) work. Here, the ITTL historian Sung-jae Pak links together any form of non-centralized resistance to ideological anarchism, which is somewhat dubious. However, the information about direct and indirect protest should be taken as accurate and true to OTL developments, with TTL material being largely reserved for Part 2. This is also a history from below, directly rejecting a focus on the "great men" of the era, which is a departure from much of the texts I've presented prior to it.

[1] Despite my warnings above, anarchism was indeed a popular ideology in Korea as it was in much of the world. However, it entered into a period of decline globally during the 1920s faced with the triumph of Communism in seizing power, with it being largely eclipsed as a major ideology. Additionally, the influence of nationalism on anarchism was (and still is) seen as a right-wing deviation by many anarchists, being a major point of contention for colonized peoples seeking their own state.

[2] Pak Yol and Fumiko Kaneko were real individuals, even recently being portrayed in the 2017 film Anarchist From Colony in South Korea. Osugi Sakae was an influential Japanese anarchist, also infamously assassinated by the Japanese military in the aftermath of the Great Kanto Earthquake.

[3] This quotation originates from the OTL work edited by Hakjun Kim, Hyeokmyeong gadeul ui hang-il hoesang: Kim Seongsuk, Jang Geonsang, Jeong Hwaam, Yi Ganghun ui dongnip tujaeng [Revolutionaries' Recollections of Anti-Japanese Struggles: Struggles for Independence by Kim Seongsuk, Jang Geonsnag, Jeong Hwaam, and Yi Ganghun.] Seoul: Mineumsa, 1988. This was originally sourced from my reading of Anarchism in Korea, pg 94.

[4] I actually wrote my MA thesis on the colonization of Hokkaido, with pre-war and war-time mine labor forming a large portion of my text. This event is true to OTL.

[5] Typically this is presented in OTL as the Korean People's Association in Manchuria. The extant of popular control or actual governmentality of this group is difficult to discern and almost impossible to source. I will also note that the local level democracy being praised here can also debatedly be said to have been found in almost all of the partisan groups, including Kim Il-sung's, so the "success" of political anarchism found in these isolated and militant cells should be treated with as much suspicion as the "success" found in the study of the modern day Zapatistas or Rojava. Though broadly sympathetic, the activities of partisan groups present little information for how they will actually govern.

Last edited:
    7. The Great Betrayal (Part 2)
  • Rosenheim

Donor
    A/N: Well, with our buddy Kim reappearing in the North Korea, I figured it was a sign that I should attempt to resurrect this timeline of mine. There's no reason that this post took five months, especially since this chapter really isn't done - there will have to be a part 3. But, I right now I need to post something or I know I never will. As was the case with this TTL author last time, remember that the text is more predisposed to see the influence of anarchism in Korea than perhaps is reasonable.

Pak, Sung-jae (September 2017). “Chapter 4: The Origins of Popular Action and Resistance during Liberation,” The Great Betrayal: Anarchism and Communism in Korea, 1919-1954. Albany, NY: SUNY Press, pp. 98-102. [A]

Anarchy and Liberation

The heady first days of Korea’s Liberation have often been described by historians as a period of “judicial anarchy”, an assertion originally posited by US military intelligence in the aftermath of Japan’s retreat from the peninsula. That this formulation conveniently legitimizes the imposition of an unelected military government, the perpetuation of the colonial-era police force, and the propping of small far-right parties as “proper representatives of the Korea people” is less often stated. Similarly, proponents of the old revisionist school tend to regard the installation of Red Army officers as “advisors” in the north as being brought about by a genuine desire of the Soviets to reestablish order as much as in seeking to lay the foundations of the future communist state, even if a few critiques of the authoritarian nature of the occupation are offered.

Though it can be said that popular action during Liberation operated in the absence of any prevailing social institutions which could demand moderation, or even a uniformity of aims among its participants, the weeks prior to and months immediately after the official surrender of Japan on August 15 were not the image of chaos and disarray put forward by either of Korea’s occupiers. The tacit acceptance of these dominating narratives has loomed large over studies of the Liberation period, presenting an image of a Korea that needed to be managed rather than one that was rapidly mobilizing along its own course before external intervention. Even when political histories do recognize the independent actors of the period, they tend to write solely of the stories of Seoul and Pyongyang. They attempt to carefully reconstruct the interplay of the various faction leaders, the jockeying for position that would establish the political classes which would become dominant under the power structures developed by the Soviet Union and the United States. Thus while one can find a complete listing of the leadership of the CKPI and their opposition in the DPK with regards to Seoul, along with the various political positionings of Cho Man-sik, Kim Sŏng-ju, and Kim Tu-bong being tracked in great detail in post-Liberation Pyongyang, little has been written about the broad political consciousness spread across the peninsula during the period. [1]

The replacement of the diffuse and organic grassroots movement of the moment’s actuality with either Lyuh Woon-hyung’s rightful action in “attempting revolution” or the individual heroism of figures like Syngman Rhee in halting it, depending on the bias of the historian in question, represents the deliberate silencing of 1945 Korea’s mass democracy. This period saw the attempt to restructure society from the bottom-up by all manner of local actors, from factory occupations and self-directed land reform on the left to the organization of the nascent provincial political structures on the right. Far from being an affair driven by Seoul or Pyongyang, these organs of democracy varied wildly in nature and sought to establish themselves on their own terms, enjoining with the state or resisting state control based upon decisions made at the individual level. It was only through their ultimate subversion (as in the north) and/or elimination (as in the south) that these active and amorphous entities became solidified as the politically inert, lifeless, and uniform “People’s Committees” found in history. [2]

“People’s Committees”, Local Democracy, and Mass Action

Between August and September 1945 a wide multitude of local-level political committees flourished throughout the nation, claiming to represent 14 provinces, 2 islands, 21 cities, 218 counties, 103 villages, and over 2000 smaller townships in total. Though small, overlapping, and often ill-disciplined, these new local administrations were largely successful in maintaining the peace and organizing basic social services. This brief period is typically referred to by modern historians as being that of the first abortive “People’s Republic of Korea,” bookended with either the landing of Lieutenant General John R. Hodge in Incheon in early September or the November 9 Incident two months later. Thus all of these emergent organs for local democracy are prominently labeled in history as “People’s Committees”, established and operating as part of the CPKI (and the first PRK) under Lyuh Woon-hyung.

yMG63Ni.jpg

Image of downtown Seoul, August 15, immediately after the announcement of Japan's unconditional surrender. Source: Korea Times.

In truth, such political activity did not simply emerge overnight upon receiving marching orders from Seoul (or Washington or Moscow, for that matter). Everyday life in colonial Korea had long become snared in an intricate web of overlapping spheres of political mobilization, with leftist groups, peasant unions, and Japanese backed anti-communist patriotic societies all training the populace in the ways of mass politics. When Japanese rule was broken, it is thus unsurprising that the Korean people immediately began to organize on their own terms. To examine the nature of Liberation as experienced outside of the city centers, we can only turn to eyewitness accounts. Speaking in papers smuggled out of her house arrest, the imprisoned anti-Communist dissident Kye Hye-bin wrote of her teenage experience in a rural village in what was then Hwanghae Province in the north:

“In the last days of the war, when we were in the fields, everyday, even through work, the word on our lips was Liberation. What our plans were, how we would organize ourselves… There had been a few protests against the big families before the war, and during the war itself we all began to store away food. We passed around books, even organized a few night schools hidden away from the eyes of the officials. When news came of Japan’s surrender, immediately we leapt into action and held our first meeting among the barley fields. Jeong Min-chol, who taught us the most about democracy, and Roh Sun-hui, who knew the best places to hide grain, were chosen as our leaders. It felt like the moment I had been preparing for my entire life.” [3]
    David Park, who would later become a prominent member of the refugee community in the United States, shared the following image of Liberation in the rural southern county of Hapcheon in his autobiography:

“People were singing, shouting, making every noise of jubilation. I remember my father weeping, sinking to his knees in the middle of the road as my mother stood by his side. My big strong father, who hadn’t cried even when he had been beaten by Japanese soldiers. It was like watching a dam burst, the emotion all flowing out. The whole town buzzed with an unbound energy, at that moment the future felt like it was ours for the taking. The next morning the adults filled the square again and voted on who would represent us to the Americans we knew were coming. I’m proud to say that my father was chosen as a member of that committee.” [4]
    Liberation was a moment of latent energy and emotion, one which led almost immediately to direct political action. Local committees were organized, some by election and some by the fiat of headmen and other prominent leaders. Unlike other cases of national liberation following WWII, such as was the case in France or the Netherlands, Korea had no formal institutions for self-government and indigenous administration. As such, the concerns of such committees were primarily in removing the remnants of Japanese control, establishing food and material supplies, and opening lines of communication with other bodies.

After the bureaucratic organs, military, quasi-military, and policing organizations were some of the first and most common groups to be established during Liberation. In some cases this was as simple as formerly conscripted units defecting from the Japanese military en masse, taking on a new name and leadership. In others, able-bodied students joined with martial artists and physical education teachers to train together and keep the peace. Ch’oe Yong-dal gave recognition to these movements with his formal establishment of the CPKI’s Youth Peace Preservation Corps, but also included in their number was the right-leaning Korean Student-Soldier League and the National Preparatory Army (NPA). [5/6] The national leadership of these organizations was established long after their formation on an individual basis from town to town, thus it is notable that ultimately violence was contained and reprisals minimized by largely self-directed entities. These bodies of course existed in deliberate opposition to the preexisting colonial-era police force, which consisted of Japanese officers and their Korean collaborators and had been a routine vehicle for political suppression, torture, and state killings. The latter group retained its power throughout the south of the country, especially in and around the prominent port cities which were being used to transfer Japanese personnel to the metropole. In the north, however, the incoming Soviet forces chose to temporarily transfer authority to indigenous peacekeeping organizations before establishing their own politically reliable force.

d8Qem5T.jpg

Photograph of the committee representing the port region of the city of Incheon, welcoming US soldiers. Source: Wikimedia Commons

The leadership of both the political committees and peace-keeping groups largely arose from those Koreans who had been most prominent in opposing Japanese rule rather than coming from those holding any one definitive political creed. Though largely left leaning on the whole, as the conservative elite had been heavily embraced by the colonial administration, the umbrella cast by these movements was wide and eclectic indeed. Even as student activists, political prisoners and communist radicals formed some of their core ranks, a good portion of the rural upper peasantry had been as fiercely opposed to Japanese rule as their poorer cousins and were welcomed with good graces, along with religious leaders and a number of prominent industrialists. The end goals of such groups were often widely varied as well, with some (as in David Park’s account) expecting their role to be merely temporary and transitional, while others viewed their organizations as being embryonic formulations of a new Korean state. It took until early September for the CPKI to achieve any semblance of widespread political penetration into the nation, with foreign troops having already seized control of significant portions of the country. The adoption of CPKI/PRK name and creed among local organizations should be understood as a largely post-hoc event, as the center recognized the de facto leadership of the political periphery.

It is also clear that mass action from the periphery did not wait for de jure legitimization by the “leadership” in Seoul. When the Soviets and the Americans entered Korea in late August and early September respectively, they found towns and cities being restructured from the ground up. Peasant unions had spread across the country like wildfire, some trying to dispossess their formal landlords outright while others argued for “merely” substantial land reform and a rationalization of tenant relationships and rents. These groups also led the collection of the new rice harvest and managed much of its distribution long before any central control was established. In the cities, numerous Japanese-owned factories were found occupied by worker’s unions, either clandestine groups now emerged from hiding or freshly organized radicals. Some of these factories were being run by the workers themselves, while others saw these workers having auctioned off the management to skilled and wealthy loyal Koreans. This state of affairs did not follow the typically conceived radical-moderate divide between north and south. In South Gyeongsang Province, near Busan in the south, the workers freely managed the factories prior to American intervention, while both Seoul and Pyongyang saw labor action in the immediate Liberation period more limited to strikes and work stoppages. In almost all cases, the leadership of the center lagged behind the mass movements.

By the last days of August, however, it became clear to all that Korea would be occupied by two large foreign powers regardless of the wishes of its populace. The remnants of Japanese colonial administration and their forces largely aligned themselves with the incoming Americans, selling off the factories and resources they controlled to their favored elite and spreading word of widespread civil disorder. When Lt. Gen Hodge arrived in September and established the American military government, he quickly identified the PRK as communist in nature and set loose his forces against it. While Lyuh remained confined to Seoul, taking ever more frantic measures in hopes of shoring up his waning power before his eventual flight north, the American military forces spread out through the south and dispersed the local committees. Some adopted these changes with good grace, with much of the rural elite eagerly falling behind the new order. Left-leaning groups however were swiftly and often brutally repressed and the piecemeal land reform and factory seizures rolled back. In the north the committees would remain and some of their political and social advances were recognized, yet the power and independence of these entities would be drastically reduced and the freedoms won would be withdrawn in the lived reality of everyday life despite the fact that they remained on paper.

Even with the establishment of foreign occupation, the principles of anarchist mass action would remain. From late 1945 to 1954, post-Liberation period Korea found itself roiled with strikes, protests, and calls for true liberation. From the chaos of the November 1st Incident, to the 1946 and 1947 Agricultural Protests and rebellions in the south, to the advent of the Second 3-1 Movement in the face the north and south dropping any pretense towards reunification, the state responses to these events would ultimately define the very nature of government in both the north and south. [7]

[A]
    Again, the above work is built from my reading Dongyoun Hwang's Anarchism in Korea, Albany, NY: SUNY Press, 2016, though Chapter 3 of Bruce Cumming's Origins of the Korean War, Vol. 1, Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1981 is also used substantially throughout.

[1] This is also a significant problem in OTL's historiography of the division of Korea, especially in English-related material. To put it simply, we just don't have the historical data for a lot of the areas outside of Seoul and Pyongyang.

[2] While the term "People's Committee" [Inmin Wiwǒnhoe] was widely used throughout the peninsula, there were a number of other terms used contemporaneously and they tended to differ drastically from each other in terms of organization, scale, and aims.

[3] Kye Hye-bin has no direct counterpart in OTL North Korea. ITTL she was arrested in the late 1970s and remained under house arrest until her death in 1992 at the age of 66.

[4] This quote is based of that of Richard Kim, from his semi-fictionalized autobiography, Lost Names: Scenes from a Korean Boyhood, New York City, NY: Praeger, 1970, 164-165. This passage is largely similar in tone, though Kim lived in the north during his youth compared to TTL's David Park.

[5] Ch’oe Yong-dal would later emerge as a powerful member of the Korean Worker's Party in the north, serving as the head of the Department of Justice.

[6] The National Preparatory Army would essentially shatter upon the American assumption of control in the south. While elements of it would go on to serve in the militaries of both the south and north, much of it would either dissolve outright or serve as armed muscle for various backers during the chaotic period.

[7] This being the focus of the next upate.

Last edited: