Flower O'Scotland

Chapter 40: A King's Decision.
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 40: A King’s Decision

April, 1549

James had seen his sons grow strong and tall, they were growing every day and were getting closer with every month that passed. The sight filled his heart with joy. He had been an only child growing up and as such had never really known the joy of family. His sister had been little more to a stranger than him, and he did not regard her very highly anyway. So, to see his sons and daughter getting along so well pleased him. Of course, there were other things that made him concerned. Mary was ill, and as such he did not know what to do to help his wife. Still, there was one thing he could definitely do to keep his mind at ease.

He had summoned Cardinal Beaton to meet him at Falkland Palace, away from the hub of Stirling, to ensure their discussion could be kept to a minimal interference. The Cardinal looked worn down and tired, from his years of service. James thought on the letter that Mary had shown him and he wondered if there were other reasons. He decided to ease into the topic. “Your Eminence is doing well?” He asked.

“As well as can be, Sire.” The Cardinal replied. “Thank you, for asking.”

James nodded. “Tell us, Cardinal what does it say in the Bible and from Holy Mother Church about those who break their vows of chastity and do sin?”

The Cardinal’s face was a mask as he replied. “It says that they are little more than braggarts. Who have broken their trust in God, and therefore will be sent to a fiery pits of hell, to be whipped by Satan until their days end. Why do you ask Sire, who has broken their oaths?”

James looked at him and wondered how he could ask that question with such a straight face. He decided not to lay his cards all out on the table immediately. Instead he would move slowly and see whether the Cardinal was smart enough to pick up on it. “A man who we have trusted with matters of church and state for many years. A man who claims to be true to the word of God, and a man we consider a friend. A man who we know would never countenance another member of the cloth breaking their vows.”

“Who is this man, who has shamed you so, Sire?” Beaton asked. “Say his name and I shall have him removed from his post at once.”

Oh, you are a very good actor, my friend. James thought sadly. He said. “You have no need to take any action, for we are speaking to him.”

That hit Beaton hard. The man stopped, and then exclaimed. “Sire, what has made you say this?” The man sputtered then and asked. “Who has put this lie, this vitriol to you, Sire?”

James laughed, though he felt no humour. He took the letter out of his pocket and placed it on the table before the Cardinal, the Cardinal picked it up and began to read. James watched and said. “You were see, Your Eminence, there were things seen in your chambers. Do you deny it?”

The Cardinal finished reading, and put the letter down. His face was quite flushed. “Sire, might I explain?”

James gestured. “Do. We are intrigued to see what you have to say in your own defence for this.”

“What the Earl of Rothes saw in my chamber was a moment of weakness. It was a moment I was not proud of and have not repeated since. I know that I must seem like a hypocrite to you, Sire, but know this, I am dedicated to you, and to your works and policies. I always have been.” The Cardinal said.

“Holy Mother Church says that it is a sin for you to do what you are accused of doing. So, tell us, why should we not dismiss you at once?” James demanded.

The Cardinal looked stumped, and for a moment James feared that he would not offer a reason, and then he said. “Because I am the only one who knows how to get things through the Holy See, Your Majesty. I am the one who pulls on the strings of the Papacy to ensure they give Your Majesty what you want. Furthermore, I one of the few people who know that though you have brought reforms you do not wish for a complete break from Mother Church.”

James looked at him and said. “Though you have stood against the reforms from the very beginning, and have been more than outspoken in your criticisms of them.”

The Cardinal bowed his head. “I admit, that is a fault of mine. I would restrain myself further, if it would please, Your Majesty.”

James thought about this for a moment and then said. “We wish for you to remain on our council, if and only if you are less objectionable to the reforms we are introducing. They are for the good of Scotland, and we would wish for you to help see them realised. You are a good and valued servant, Cardinal. We do not wish for you to be removed.”

The Cardinal bowed his head and then said. “I thank you, for your patience and gratitude, Sire. I promise to do much better.”

“Good.” James said. “Now, we shall need to address the issue of our cousin’s marriage to Portugal.”

The Cardinal raised his head and said. “Perhaps now is the time to consider France again, Sire.”

“Indeed, though our wife says that Lady Jane Grey has taken a liking to our son.” James said.

Chapter 41: Grey's Ascent
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 41: Grey’s Ascent

June, 1549

Henry and his family had been in Scotland for some four months now, and he had to say it was a surprisingly bright and vibrant court. He had to admit he had thought that it would be dire and dower. After all Scotland was not England, it rained four days out of every five here, and it also smelled a little. Worse than London, even on London’s worst days. However, the King and his Queen did their best to keep things interesting and their courtiers entertained. There had been a masque, a ball, and various other events. It was a nice place. And very much different to London and Whitehall.

The King himself was a vibrant man, with a positive attitude and a cunning that would have made the man’s grandsire proud. Henry looked at the man and then listened as he spoke. “Lord Grey, we trust that you are enjoying your time here? And that all your needs have been met?”

Henry bowed his head. “Court is fantastic, Your Majesty, and it is something that I think has made everything very nice. And yes, our needs have been met, thank you, Sire.”

The King nodded. “Now, tell us, you have been sent here as ambassador for our cousin Queen Eleanor. We would hear tell of how she is doing.”

Henry took a moment, he had not actually seen much of Queen Eleanor, or the court for some time before his appointment. His time at court had ended when Queen Dowager Catherine had left with her husband, but he knew he could not say that to this King. “Her Majesty is well, Sire. She continues to develop into a smart and intelligent young lady. She is most interested in history. With a particular focus on the tales of her grandsire King Henry.”

For a brief moment, Henry thought he had made a mistake mentioning King Henry, the first Tudor monarch, but then the King before him smiled. “That is good. Our own ambassador reports that she has been asking much about our shared heritage. We are much delighted with that, and would be most happy to share stories of her own father, should she wish.”

Henry did not know whether that would be a good idea, considering the relationship between the two Kings, but he said. “I will be sure to mention that when I write to London next, Sire.” He did not think Norfolk would reply in the affirmative.

The King smiled. “Good. Now there was something we wished to talk to you about.” Henry wondered at the way the King held himself then, his shoulders were back and he looked relaxed, but there was a look in his eyes that spoke of a man about to pounce on his prey. “What are your views on this reformation that is currently gripping the continent? Do you think it is long lasting?”

Here, Henry hesitated. The King he knew was a devout Catholic who had brought some reforms to his own church but had not embraced the reformation in full, whereas, he was a devout Protestant, fully embracing the teachings of men such as Luther and Zwingli. He did not know how to respond, and so he chose a diplomatic response. “I think we are seeing the results of centuries of neglect, Sire.”

The King raised an eyebrow. “How so?”

Here, Henry knew he would need to be very careful. “Sire, before the reformation came, the church gave away favours in return for copious amounts of coin. It did little to try and enforce the word of God. It instead corrupted it to suit its own purposes, and as such it grew weak and corrupt. And it allowed the Muslims to gain influence in other areas, where the lord’s writ such have run strong. The only way to change this corruption is for the reformation to bring change to the way things are done.”

“And you think that the reformation has done this? You think that the corruption present within the church in the Protestant States of the Holy Roman Empire is okay, because they are sticking to a nominal teaching?” the King asked.

“I do not know of which corruption you speak of, Sire.” Henry replied honestly.

“The corruption which saw seven young men slaughtered for not following the direct words of a mistranslation of a Bible, done by that man, Luther. The corruption which saw the lands of a minor knight stolen by a Duke simply because the knight was Catholic and refused to convert. This sort of corruption. There has been no accountability. Would you say that that is right?” the King demanded.

Henry was stumped. He did not know about these cases, having spent more time keeping abreast of what was happening in London than anywhere else. Reluctantly he said. “No, Sire, I do not think that this is right. I think it is indeed a deep corruption.”

The King nodded. “Good, at least you have sense. When you are here, we wish for you to attend some of our sermons and masses, to see how things might change should this course continue to be pursued.”

Henry swallowed, he did not like the thought of that, but said. “Very well, Sire, it would be my pleasure.”

The King nodded. “Good, and be sure to bring your family, especially Lady Jane, our son, James has taken a liking to her.”

Henry nodded, and internally thought this was a good thing. “Of course, Sire.”

Chapter 42: King Henri
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 42: King Henri

October, 1549

Henri was more worried about his mistress than the Kingdom. He knew that was a stupid thing to feel, but it was true. Diane had been unwell for the past three weeks, and she showed no signs of recovery. Truly he did not know what would become of him if she died. She was his whole world. Catherine, that idiot, had tried to comfort him, but he had never liked her and found her touch repellent now. They’d done their duty and had children, multiple heirs indeed. Though Henri did not view his immediate heir, Francis with respect. The boy was weak and would be eaten alive once he became King. So, Henri supposed he had to pay attention.

He looked at his ministers and barked out. “So? What is the situation?” They had just about managed to sort out the Kingdom’s finances following the absolute mess of it that his father had made with his endless wars.

“Well, Sire,” that was Anne de Montmercy, his chief minister and most trusted counsellor speaking. “We are slowly seeing the increase in tax revenues that we were promised, and as such, I think we should soon see the accounts move into the green for the first time in years.”

Henri smiled, that was good news. “So, we were right to not want to pursue more war with Spain.”

Some of his lords had been deeply angered when he’d agreed to a treaty with the Emperor, a few months back, but he had known then that they could not sustain a continuous war, not when the Ottomans were ripping one another apart. “Yes, Sire.” Montmercy said smiling.

His Grand Chamberlain, Claude, Duke of Guise spoke then. “Sire, I think that whilst peace for now is preferred, eventually, we shall have to consider the military option.” The man paused and then continued. “After all, the Emperor is not going to allow our control of Savoy go uncontested, for it threatens his hold over Milan, and then of course, there is the Low Countries. We should be looking to stir discontent there, within reason.”

“Stirring discontent in the Low Countries would have to be on religious lines. For the nobles and the peoples of the Low Countries are fiercely loyal to the Emperor. However, if we do that, we risk encouraging the Huguenots here.” Montmercy said.

“Perhaps that is a risk we must take?” Guise replied. “We cannot allow them to sit easily, after all.”

Henri thought for a moment and then asked. “How strongly are the convictions of heresy within the Low Countries?”

“Sire, they are leaning more toward that most horrendous form of heresy, Calvinism, than anything else.” Montmercy replied. “Indeed, I believe that their leader, the Prince of Orange and Count of Nassau is someone who might be persuaded to lead such a rebellion if we can simply offer him the right terms.”

Intrigued, Henri asked. “And what would those terms be?”

“We offer him the chance to free himself from the shackles of Brussels, and in return he gives us preferential trade access. And we might even offer him the right to rule the Low Countries himself.” Montmercy said.

Henri thought about this for a moment and then said. “Not rule them himself, they are ours.”

“Indeed, Sire. But it is a mere suggestion.” Montmercy said.

Henri nodded, then Claude spoke. “Sire, there is another issue that we must discuss.”

“And what is that?” Henri asked.

“Scotland, Sire.” Claude replied, the man then bulldozed onwards. “I believe that we must ensure that the Scots remain tied to our alliance. Currently, it seems that King James is toying with marrying his second son to Queen Eleanor of England, or marrying his firstborn son to Jane Grey who has a direct claim to the English throne. Either one would be bad for us, for both ladies are in the Protestant Faith. We must keep them Catholic and tied to us and the alliance.”

“How? They have two sons, and a daughter. their daughter is of no value to us.” Henri said.

“Perhaps offering Princess Elisabeth as a bride for the Duke of Rothesay?” Guise suggested.

“That will not keep them Catholic, a woman does not control her husband. It is the other way around.” Henri said. “We would need the two boys to die before we even consider a marriage to Scotland.”

Guise did not like that, but he remained silent. Henri said. “Find another way and we shall consider it.”

Chapter 43: Knox The Tutor
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 43: Knox The Tutor

January, 1550

Winter was always a cold time of it in Stirling, the place had not been designed with the view that the winters would get colder than they had been all those centuries ago. And yet here they were. John was convinced that the Almighty was punishing them for something, some sin or the other. What it was he did not know, but he knew not to question God, or the King. He had charge of the Duke of Rothesay and Duke of Albany’s education and knew that that was the most important thing he could do to ensure that the future was secured for Scotland.

He cleared his throat and the two boys looked at him intently, though he knew Arthur’s mind was already beginning to wander. “Now then Your Royal Highnesses, it is said that when he held the Last Supper, Lord Jesus broke the bread and told his disciples that this was his body, and when he poured them the wine that this was his blood. And that by giving them these two things, he was making them one with him. Why do you think that was?”

James, the Duke of Rothesay raised his hand. “Because he wished to show that they were united in their brotherhood and that those who held doubts would not always have those doubts.” James was surprisingly observant for such a young lad. He was only nine years old after all.

“Indeed, Your Royal Highness. We know that in his last few moments before he was betrayed that Lord Jesus was one to ensure that the brotherhood he had developed over the years would not break. That the word of God would remain strong even after his end.” John said.

“You mean, he knew he was going to die?” Arthur asked surprised.

“Well of course he did, stupid. He was the Son of God!” James snapped at his brother.

“Your Royal Highness!” John said, he did not tolerate such words in his presence.

The Duke of Rothesay bowed his head and said contritely. “I apologise, Minister.”

John nodded and continued. “But yes, you are right Your Royal Highness. He knew he was going to die, for he had seen it in his future. He was not a witch, no, but he was the Son of God, and God would never let his only son be abused of the notion that he would not serve his purpose.”

John watched as the words he said sunk in, and then he continued. “This is one of the things that has led to the great example of King Robert the Bruce. His relationship with the church was one of the defining features of his rule and one of the ways that Scotland differs from England.”

“We were never rude to the church?” The Duke of Rothesay asked.

“Exactly, Your Royal Highness.” John said impressed. “The Church lent its support to King Robert and in return he provided them with land and laws of protection, to ensure that God’s word could be heard freely without the dangers of war.”

There was a look shared between the Princes then that John did not like, and when the Duke of Rothesay asked. “But if King Robert got his right to rule from God, surely the Church should have been his anyway, why did they demand something from their sovereign?” John knew he would need to toe around this very carefully.

John thought about this and said. “Whilst yes, the King gets the divine right to rule from God, the church is the house of God, and therefore it is an agreement, as Lord Jesus said when he announced that he would build his church on this rock of Peter. Subsequently all Kings must rely on the church and the church must rely on the King for support and sustenance. It is a fair relationship in the eyes of God.”

“But then why does the Church demand we pay a tax for their upkeep, when it seems they do not do anything with it.” James asked.

This did not seem like a question that the boy he knew would ask, and so John asked. “Where did you hear this, Your Royal Highness?”

The boy squirmed slightly, not wanting to speak out against whoever had said these words to him. eventually though he said. “Lady Jane did. She said that the Church of Rome was wrong and evil, and that Father should be the head of his own church.”

John bit back a sigh, he had thought the presence of the English family would be dangerous. The lady Frances was a devout Protestant as was her husband, it was only natural that their daughters would be as well. He took a moment to think over this and then said. “Your Royal Highness, what Lady Jane says is true in part, however, she misses certain details. Though the Church of England does not owe obeisance to Rome, it still demands protection and favour from the crown of England. Much like Rome does. Consequently, it is little different to Rome. The only difference being that the Queen of England is head of the Church.”

James looked shocked at that. “So, why was she so insistent?”

“Because she is a woman, my Prince and women are often insistent on things they know nothing about.” John answered simply.

A look passed over the Prince’s face but he merely nodded. “Please don’t tell the King about this, Minister.” The boy pleaded.

John smiled. “Do not worry, Your Royal Highness, your words are safe with me.”

Chapter 44: Mary the Bride
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 44: Mary, the Bride

May, 1550

For two months now she had been married. For two months she had been able to call someone husband. It was a delightful feeling and one she thanked God that she finally got to enjoy. Her husband was a bit gruff and a bit rough around the edges, but he had a very good heart. He was kind and he was interested in her. That was a major relief for her, for she had been terrified that her husband would end up being like her father. Thankfully, Luis was nothing like King Henry had been.

She looked at her husband then, he was reading over something from the council meeting and she felt a smile come to her lips. Her husband looked up at her and asked in Spanish. “What?”

Mary shook her head. “Nothing. I am just happy.”

Luis smiled in return. “Good, I am glad.”

There was a moment of silence and then she asked. “What are you reading?” For a moment, she wondered if perhaps she had pushed too far. It was one thing to make her feel happy and included, and quite another to include her in the business of state. Her husband was a proud man, and she was not sure he would take kindly to his wife getting involved.

He surprised her when he said. “The King is looking at a way of ensuring that we continue to benefit from the trade routes with Asia, without needing to rely overly much on the Spanish.”

Mary thought on that. She was very much in favour of her Spanish cousins, having been raised that way by her mother. But she knew that her husband had Portugal to think about, and so she thought as his wife, not the daughter of a Spanish Princess. “How does he propose to do that?”

Her husband grinned at her wryly. “He wants to use you.”

“Me?” Mary asked surprised.

“Yes. He wants to use the ties you bring with England to bring about an alliance in shipping, to ensure that we have a secure fleet to guard us as we pass through the shores.” Luis replied.

“I am not sure that that will work. I do not have anything to do with the court.” Mary said. She had not even spoke with the Duke of Norfolk before her wedding.

“Really?” Luis asked sounding surprised.

Mary nodded. “I spent most of my time in my estates in the south east, and little time at court. They did not want me there.”

Her husband stroked his beard and said. “Then I am going to have tell the King to change his plans.”

Mary thought on her feet then. “Not necessarily,” her husband raised an eyebrow at her and she elaborated. “I might not have direct ties to court, but we are still allied with England. Propose a three-way naval alliance. English and Portuguese fleets working together to transport goods from Asia, whilst the Spanish would get aid in the attempt of a naval battle against the Muslims.”

Her husband pursed his lips. “That might well work, and it would play well for my brother’s piety.”

“Exactly.” Mary replied. She knew just how pious King John was, that was why she had suggested it.

Her husband took her hand and kissed it then. “You are quite the smart one, aren’t you, my darling wife?”

Mary blushed, but said nothing, delighting in the praise.

Last edited:
    Chapter 45: The Greys
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 45: The Greys

August, 1550

“You know, Frances, I never thought I would be so happy to be in Scotland.” Henry said. His comment eliciting a laugh from his wife. She looked at him and not for the first time he was amazed at how beautiful she looked. “I’m serious.” He said. “I think this place has more refreshing things to do in it than London ever did.” There was also the fact that their estates were closer to the border, meaning they could venture there when the need arose. “I do think this might be the best appointment yet.”

His wife laughed. “I am inclined to agree with you, Henry.” There was a pause and then she added. “You know, I think it is a good thing we got the girls out of court and away from the Seymours as well.” Henry frowned then. He did not like Edward Seymour, and his brother Thomas was completely suspicious. “I think something terrible might have gone on had we not left.”

“Well you know that Warwick is trying to get his earldom moved up to a peerage.” Henry said. He might not be at court, but he still had friends who wrote to him. “I think Norfolk is growing tired of the man.”

“Tired enough to see him executed?” Frances asked. Henry did not know what exactly had happened between his wife and the Earl of Warwick some years ago, but whatever it was, it had left a distinct bad taste in his wife’s mouth whenever she talked about him.

Henry mused on this and then replied. “I think we might see something such as that. Of course, if the rumours are true then Warwick is about to seal his own death warrant.”

Frances raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean?”

“I heard from the King himself, that there was word of some plot to crown his sister Lady Lennox as Queen should something happen to Queen Eleanor.” Henry said.

“And Warwick was involved in this plot?” Frances asked.

“Apparently, there were rumours he was. Though he denies them. The man mainly responsible for the plotting, one Sir William Sackville used to work for Warwick.” Henry said.

“How did King James act when he told you this?” His wife asked.

“He laughed.” Henry said. “Why?”

“I think the King was testing the waters to see how you would act when he said something like this. I think he wants to know where things go.” Frances said.

“You think he is interested in the throne of England?” Henry asked out loud, surprised.

“I don’t see why he wouldn’t be. He has the next best claim after our Queen. Lady Mary was only legitimised after King Henry died, and anyway she is married abroad. I am not sure the people would support such a thing.” Frances said.

“But he is also Scottish. I am not sure that the people of court would accept that either. We both know Northumberland and Westmoreland never would.” Henry pointed out.

“He shares their religion though, which means that they might bite the bullet and accept him.” Frances countered.

“That is assuming of course that he wants the throne. Queen Eleanor is a child yet, she might well live into adulthood and marry. And that might be the way he intends to get his blood on the throne, by marrying his second son to her.” Henry replied.

“Indeed, this is true.” Frances said.

Henry saw the way she changed her posture and asked her. “What are you thinking, dearest wife?” His wife raised an eyebrow and he laughed. “I know you are thinking something by the way you are sat.”

His wife laughed. “I am thinking that perhaps we had best invest more time in courting the King and Queen, and ensuring that our Jane is friendly with the Duke of Rothesay. The boy is smart; he will want a wife he knows.”

“He is ten, Frances. I do not think he or his parents have even thought of a wife for him yet.” Henry said.

“All the more reason for us to court a relationship with them.” Frances replied. “If we are close to them, they will automatically look to us when the time comes. One son married to the Queen of England, another son married to the next in line? Why would that not fit the vision King James has.”

Henry thought on that for a moment and then said. “You might just be onto something there.”

Chapter 46: Parliament
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 46: Parliament

November, 1550

For the first time five years, Parliament was meeting. Edward had pressurised the Duke of Norfolk into allowing Parliament to meet. He knew that things were not good in the country, and that some thought they were descending into tyranny. The Duke was old now and his mind was not at its best. For Edward, he thought summoning Parliament would be the best way to handle any lingering issues that might be there. Norfolk had tasked him with leading the government’s side against the opposition, and he had spent the past three weeks preparing for what he would say. Ireland, Scotland and France. Those were the three big issues of the day.

The Speaker of the House of Lords, and Lord Chancellor, Lord Rich spoke. “Gentlemen, order. I beg we come to order.” The house fell silent. The speaker continued. “We are here for this first session of Parliament to discuss issues pertaining to the governance of Ireland, relations with both Scotland and France, and any other business members of the house feel to bring.” There was a moment pause. “The Honourable, Earl of Northumberland has a speech for the opposition.” The speaker banged his gavel.

Thomas Percy, Earl of Northumberland rose. He had kept peace in the north throughout the reforms, throughout the reign of the King Henry and King Edward, and now here he was. He looked angry. “Thank you, my lord speaker.” A pause, then. “My lords, we are here after five years. Five years since the death of King Henry, and no parliament since then. We sit here now, to discuss the ruination of our government in Ireland. How is it that rebels armed and fed by God knows who, were able to overwhelm the carriage and procession of the Lord Lieutenant, to such a grave extent that the man is now lying in Belfast Castle, bleeding and on the verge of death. Has this government got no sense?” Northumberland sat down.

Edward rose. “My lords, the right honourable Lord, has voiced a concern. However, he forgets. Ireland is an unruly province at the best of times, and with the famine it has experienced recently tempers are sure to be up.” He took a breath then continued. “We are doing what we can to ensure that our members in the Pale and the Anglo-Norman Lords within the Kingdom are protected and safe. We are working on figuring out just who supplied the arms to the rebels.” He sat down.

Northumberland rose. “Five years it has been since this man ascended to the regency, in that time how much attention did you pay to Ireland, Sir? How much time did you spend looking through the accounts of Ireland and seeing where the weaknesses were?” A murmur started then. “I would wager little time at all, Sir, little time at all.” Northumberland sat down.

Edward rose. “My lord, I think you are confused. As a regency council we have done all we can to ensure that Ireland is protected and safe. We are doing what we can to ensure that the perpetrators of these great crimes are found and reduced to nothingness. Indeed,” and here was where he knew he would get into trouble later. “We are preparing to launch an expedition into Ireland to deal with the rebels.”

Northumberland stood up then. “So, you think this problem will only get worse then? Why else would you be considering this sort of move?”

Too late, Seymour realised that by saying what he had said that he had walked right into the trap. “We are doing all that is necessary.” He said, and sat down. Warwick, sat next to him leaned over.

“Well done, Somerset, you’ve royally fucked us.”

Edward ignored the man, and listened as Northumberland spoke. “You see, my lords, the man has no ability to handle simple things. Either we are going to be going into Ireland and stamping out this rot once and for all, or we are not. If this is how the Duke handles business, no wonder relations with Scotland are where they are now. When the Queen Dowager was in power, we were told that her husband and the Earl of Lennox would bring Scotland right into our orbit. Instead, the Scots are on their own, developing relations with Denmark and Sweden, and developing a navy that is far superior to our own. Our government has failed.”

Edward rose. “My lords, Northumberland knows not of what he speaks. Scotland is moving closer to our orbit every passing day. The King of Scots has agreed for a betrothal between his son the Duke of Albany and our Queen. Furthermore, we are building ships with the Scots near the border ports. Something that the Lord would know if he spent less time being a papist, and more time looking at what was happening around him.” That brought a cheer from his side, Northumberland glowered.

“Order. Order!” The Lord Speaker said banging his gavel as hard as he could. Once silence eventually fell, the man looked at Northumberland. “Is there anything more you wish to raise?”

Northumberland consulted with the man next to him, Westmoreland, and then shook his head. “No, my lord.”

The Lord Speaker then banged his hammer. “Then we are done here for today. Session is at an end.”

Edward rose and walked out of the chamber, Warwick behind him whispered. “Good save. Just make sure the old man doesn’t hear about this.”

Chapter 47: Norfolk's Swansong
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 47: Norfolk’s Swansong

February, 1551

Thomas blinked. Increasingly he was finding it hard to stay awake. Old age was getting to him and he did not think he would last through this winter. Still he knew that to announce defeat would allow his enemies to get the better of him. Thomas still wanted his son to succeed him as Lord High Treasurer and he did not think that would happen if he were to just retire into the night and to his estates. And so, he continued onward, ignoring the signs a lesser man might have taken for his resignation.

Right now, he was sat with Sir John Baker, the Chancellor of the Exchequer to go over the accounts of the realm. Baker was a smart man and someone who Norfolk trusted. He cleared his throat and said. “Right then, Sir John, let us now dawdle about the place. We have not engaged in any wars in the past decade and though the French might be strengthening their hold over Savoy, I think we are within our rights to expect they will not go for Calais any time soon. What is the situation with this in mind?”

Baker looked at the books and then said. “It is pleasant, Your Grace. Certainly, far better than we could have imagined when Her Majesty ascended the throne. I do however, worry that Calais might be a cause for concern.” Thomas raised an eyebrow and Baker continued. “You see, Your Grace, there are some areas where we might spend more than we are seeing as a return. Calais’ walls are in constant need of manning and the cost of that far outweighs whatever reward we get from trade. Furthermore, the Pale has seen some shortfalls in terms of crop yields for the past year and a half.”

“And what of Boulogne?” Thomas asked. The city that King Henry had taken during his last engagement remained one of the high points of Thomas’ military career.

“That is something else, Your Grace. It brings rewards more from the trading routes and the black market trading.” Sir John said.

Thomas considered that. “We cannot sell Calais back to the French, that would be an insult to the Queen and to her father, and to every Englishman who died for it.” For his own father and grandfather and all the bloodshed that had gone into the War between York and Lancaster also. “I say we must send someone of better repute to be governor than the man we have now.” He thought for a moment and then decided. “We shall send Warwick.”

Baker raised an eyebrow. “Are you sure that is a wise idea, Your Grace? Warwick is smart, I will grant you that, but he hates the French. What is there to say he won’t try and start a war with them?”

Thomas laughed. “He is not a fool, Sir John. He will not do something quite so catastrophic as that. He knows he would never get the support he needs from London.” In truth Thomas just wanted to be rid of the scheming bugger as well.

Sir John thought for a moment and then said. “I suppose you are right, Your Grace.”

Thomas nodded, then turned his attention elsewhere. “There is of course the shortfall in revenue from the crown lands. Do you think there is any way we can increase the turnout there?”

“Unless you wish to risk something along the lines of a northern revolt, I am not sure, Your Grace. Stanley has said that his tenants are not willing to be subsumed into the Duchy of Lancaster, despite the historic claims.” Sir John replied.

“Then we will have to resummons Parliament.” Thomas said. He had dissolved it using the seal, following the debate over France in November.

“Indeed, which means giving into Northumberland and his mob.” Sir John said.

Thomas stopped a sigh from escaping his lips, Northumberland had grown ever more troublesome in the days since that session. The thought of having to handle him alongside Westmoreland and others was painful. He was about to say something, when an attendant came hurrying into the room. Before Thomas could reprimand him, the lad said. “Your Grace, you must come quickly, something has happened to the Queen.”

Thomas got up and walked quickly, following the lad. As they got closer, Thomas could hear screaming. “The Queen was playing, Sir, and then she slipped and fell.”

They stopped and there at the foot of the steps was the Queen, she was lying in a pool of blood. “She slipped?” He asked.

“Yes Your Grace.” The boy said.

Thomas said nothing, then turned to Sir John. “Write to the Queen Dowager and Princess Mary.”

Chapter 48: Mary, Queen of England and Ireland
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 48: Mary, Queen of England and Ireland

June, 1551

The letter had come some months ago, and she and Luis had hurried from Lisbon to London. She had attended the funeral, had consoled the step mother she had never liked, and then she had been crowned Queen. England’s second ever Queen Regnant. The last child of King Henry, eighth of that name since the Conquest. The weight of the crown and the future of the dynasty rested on her shoulders. She knew she was pregnant, she had felt the change two months ago after the coronation. She had not even told Luis for fear that something would go wrong. And yet, she had to push that to the side, for now she must serve as Queen.

Her lords of the privy council attended her. She was not a child, like Eleanor and Edward had been. She was a woman grown. Mary cleared her throat. “We thank you all for coming today.” She despised Whitehall, but for now she would reside here, she would move to another palace at another date. “We wish to discuss some key issues. First and foremost, the Queen Dowager.”

The Chancellor of the Exchequer spoke then. “Your Majesty, Her Majesty requested a simple one off payment of £2000 and as such I have gathered the funds for that.”

“And once this payment is made, she promises to remain in her estates with that husband of hers?” Mary asked. She did not like Catherine Howard or her husband. She found them grasping.

“Yes, Your Majesty. She does not want anything to do with the court now.” The Chancellor said.

Mary thought on that for a moment and then said. “Well then, we give you permission to make the payment.”

“Yes Your Majesty.” The Chancellor said.

Mary took another breath and then said. “Now, the next issue we wished to discuss was the matter of the Earl of Warwick.” Upon her ascension, the man had resigned his post on the Privy Council and returned to his estates. She had not minded that much for she found him to be a most loathsome man, but he was smart, and that was what concerned her. “Where is he and what is he doing?”

William Paget spoke then. “Your Majesty, my men report that the Earl of Warwick has been attending sermons in his estates of one preacher named Seamus Milne. The man preaches in that most avid heresy known as puritanism, and as such it seems that the Earl of Warwick is fully embracing such a thing. I have it on good authority that the man has tried to send letters to the Marquess of Dorset to get him to start a rebellion in his wife’s name, but so far the Marquess has not replied to any of the letters.”

Mary raised an eyebrow. “That the man would not even write himself to inform his sovereign of these letters is most concerning.”

William spoke quickly then. “I think, Sire, that the Marquess is not even aware of them, for from what my sources have told me, His Majesty, King James throws away any letters with Warwick’s sigil on them.”

Mary nodded. “Very well, keep a close eye on Warwick and the moment he does something then we want him brought in.”

“Yes, Your Majesty.” Paget said.

Mary looked around the room, she wanted to raise the issue of her husband’s position at court, but decided to wait for the next meeting before discussing it. Instead, she turned to the Duke of Norfolk and said. “Norfolk, you have served our family well, but the times are changing, and we know that you are tired and wishing for a comfortable retirement. Therefore, we relieve of your post as Lord High Treasurer and grant you permission to return to your estates.”

There was a brief pause, where Norfolk looked surprised, and then he cleared his face and said. “It has been an honour to serve, Your Majesty.” With that he placed the staff of office on the table before her. Mary picked up and nodded to him. The man stood, bowed and then straightened and walked out of the room.

Once he was gone, Mary said. “We Shall take consideration for suggestions of replacements.” She already had someone in mind but it would not hurt to let the men think they were being of help.

Chapter 49: The Rose Duke
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 49: The Rose Duke

September, 1551

The Queen had not named a new Lord High Treasurer since her dismissal of the Duke of Norfolk some months ago, and instead had asked that a Lords of the Treasury serve to ensure the finances of the Kingdom ran smoothly. Edward had sat on that committee and had gradually take complete control over it. The Queen had not seemed to have had any issues with that, and indeed, had seemed to go out of her way to praise him for his effort. And now, here he was sat in her apartments, with her husband, the Duke of Beja sat in attendance. They were in St James Palace, where the Queen seemed to prefer residing, for the onset of winter.

“Tell us, Edward, how did you find the Duke of Norfolk during the reign of our brother and sister?” The Queen asked.

Edward was well aware that the Duke had been a staunch champion of the Queen’s mother, during King Henry’s Great Matter, but that he had also used her removal from the succession for a time to champion his own interests. He took a breath and then replied. “His Grace was a good man, smart and sensible. He always did what he thought was in the interests of the country and the sovereign, Your Majesty.”

“We sense a but there.” The Queen replied.

Edward smiled. “But he was old and prone to making mistakes that the old are bound to make.”

“Such as delaying the alliance of Scotland and our Kingdom, and the toeing of the line with regards to our mother by marriage.” The Queen answered.

Edward bowed his head. “Exactly, Your Majesty.”

“Well, we intend to rectify that first issue.” The Queen said.,

“Your Majesty?” Edward enquired.

“As you are aware, we are pregnant, however, our child would be too young to be married to the Duke of Rothesay, yet our cousin the Lady Jane remains alive and well. We regard her mother fondly. Therefore, we would propose a marriage between the Lady Jane and the Duke.” The Queen said.

Edward considered this and then said. “A wise proposal, Majesty. However, I have one small qualm.”

“What is it?” the Queen asked, her eyebrows raised.

“Lady Jane has the next best claim to the throne after yourself and her Mother. What should happen if she marries the Duke of Rothesay, and the Duke when he becomes King decides he wishes the throne?” Edward asked. “Or if he does not, what if others decide to rebel in Lady Jane’s name?” There was Warwick to consider after all.

“You mean people like Warwick?” The Queen asked.

“Yes, Your Majesty.” Edward responded.

“Well, if he were to do such a thing then he would be walking right into the trap we have planned for him.” The Queen answered.

That was when it hit him. “You mean to propose this marriage as a means of bringing Warwick out of his estates, and thereby ensnaring him within the web you have weaved?”

“Yes.” The Queen replied, and Edward could have sworn he saw the Duke of Beja smile then as well.

“A most clever plan, Your Majesty.” Edward said.

The Queen nodded. “Now, there is another matter we wished to discuss with you.” A pause and then. “How would you handle France?”

Edward thought on this for a moment and then answered. “Your Majesty, I would play a careful hand. Right now the French are concerned with fighting the Spanish and the Empire. they are not looking at Calais, and as such we should strive to ensure that they do not ever look at Calais. The city is a vital port for us and a gateway into the continent.”

“And should they look at Calais, what would you advise we do?” The Queen asked.

“Remind them that they stand to lose more than they stand to gain from looking at it.” Edward said. “We are allied with Portugal, Spain and the Empire. Three powers who can hinder their trade and their prosperity for daring to look at Calais.”

The Queen nodded, then looked at her husband, some look passed between them, and then the Queen said. “Kneel, Sir.”

Edward rose and then knelt. “Your Majesty?” He asked.

He bowed his head and listened as something was brought forward. “Look up, Somerset.” The Queen commanded. Edward did as he was bid, and found himself looking at the white staff of office. “We name you Lord High Treasurer.”

Edward swallowed. “Thank you, Your Majesty. I am honoured.” He rose when bid and clasped the staff in his hands.

Chapter 50: Greys and Douglases
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 50: Greys and Douglases

December, 1551

Henry kept his face blank as he looked at the woman across the table from him. His wife was at his side and she too kept her face blank. Margaret Douglas was a dangerous woman. She was the King’s sister and Queen Mary’s cousin; she was also married to the next in line to the throne of Scotland if her husband was to be believed. She had a lot of power, if she wanted to wield it. Therefore, it was important to be careful with what one said around her.

“I trust you are finding things to your liking here?” The Countess of Lennox asked.

“Indeed we are, my lady, thank you.” Henry responded.

“And I trust His Majesty has been sure to cater to your needs?” The Countess asked.

Henry hesitated for a brief moment before saying. “His Majesty has done his best to help us in our requests.” The moment he said us he knew he’d made a mistake.

“Us?” The Countess asked. She looked at Frances then and asked. “So you too have been making requests of the King?”

Frances however, was not fazed. “Not of His Majesty, but of Her Majesty the Queen. Simple things that would help ensure that things are easier for myself and my daughters.”

The Countess looked disappointed by this for some reason. “I see.” There was a pause and then she said. “Now, you have been here for some time. I wanted to know who you think are good people and who you think are the people to avoid here.”

Henry did not look at his wife but he knew she would be doing the same thing he was doing now, wondering what sort of hit mission this woman before them was on. “My lady, I am not sure I understand.” He said.

The Countess smiled. “Come now, we all know that this court is filled with a great many people, it would not make sense if there was nobody here who you thought you did not want to see again.” There was a pause as she waited for them reply, as Henry and his wife remained quiet, the woman sighed and spoke. “Very well, shall I tell you about someone I wish to avoid?” There was a pause and then. “The Earl of Arran. That man is dangerous and he has all sorts of ideas above his station. I know for a fact that he is trying to get his daughter engaged to the Duke of Rothesay.”

“Such a marriage would not be politically smart for the Duke.” Frances said.

“And why do you say that?” The Countess asked.

Henry took his wife’s hand under the table and squeezed to remind her not to say anything. Queen Mary had not given them formal permission to talk about the negotiations. “Simply because the Duke of Rothesay is heir to one of the oldest Kingdoms in Christendom, it would not make sense for him to marry a noble.”

The Countless bristled. “It has happened before, indeed the King’s ancestor was married to a lesser noble than he and Robert the Bruce was married to an Irish lady.” The way the Countess said Irish made Henry think the woman did not like them.

“Indeed, but now that things are changing, there is a certain need for dynasties to build links with other dynasties to keep the peace.” Frances replied. They both knew that deep down had this been any other scenario, their daughter would never have been considered worthy of the Duke, but as the Queen had told them that their daughters were considered part of the Royal Family, the marriage was fine, they were taking it easier.

“Indeed.” The Countess replied, she got up then and said. “Now if you excuse me, I must leave.” With that she nodded to them and walked out.

The moment she was gone, Henry turned to his wife and said. “She knows.”

“How? We have not told anyone and the King does not trust her.” Frances responded.

“She Must be guessing then, why else would she be asking so many questions?” Henry said. “She wants to plant the seeds of distrust.”

“We have to be careful from now on.” Frances answered. “Until the betrothal is out in the open.”

“Agreed.” Henry said.

Chapter 51: Queen and Prince Consort?
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 51: Queen and Prince Consort?

February, 1552

Their daughter was asleep in room beyond the door. Princess Katherine, named for Mary’s mother, the greatest Queen that England had ever had. She was the smallest little thing and Mary’s heart was filled with love for her. The moment the child had been placed in her arms she had known that she would do anything for that little girl. Now there were other things to consider. Her husband had been dealing with the council during her confinement, and now she was free from that she was keen to get back to business. The first thing they had to address was her husband’s title.

“I do not think it appropriate for them to simply label you Prince Consort. You are the son of our oldest ally, and a Prince of the Blood, it makes no sense for you to bear a lesser title.” Mary said.

Luis looked up from the book he was reading. “Mary, you have to understand it from their view. I am a foreigner, not a natural born Englishman, and I have no claim to the throne.”

“Yes you do. You descend from John of Gaunt just as I do.” Mary countered, her mother had made sure she knew her history. “You have a claim and a right to the title.”

“And if you gave me that title, what would happen then? What sort of message would you be sending?” Luis countered.

Mary thought on that for a moment and then said. “You are my husband, and I am the Queen, if I want you to be King Consort, there is little they can do to stop me.” Who this they was, she did not quite know. It could be the men on the council who had said her husband was a Prince Consort and not King Consort, or it could be the people in Parliament who shifted their allegiances with the wind.

Luis got up and took her hands in his. “Mary, listen to me, doing this will not solve anything. I am still your husband and I am still the father of your heir. We have other things to worry about, a title is the least of our concerns.”

Mary looked at her husband and sighed. She knew deep down he was right, that she had so much other stuff to concern herself with, primarily dealing with the heresy threat within her Kingdom, especially in the South East and the marriage between Lady Jane Grey and the Duke of Rothesay. “Very well, but at the next council meeting I shall have letters patent issued declaring you Duke of Lancaster. It is the least I could do.”

Her husband went to protest, but then stopped and kissed her hands. “If that is what pleases you.”

“What would please me is naming you as King Consort, but as you’ve pointed out, Parliament or someone would object, so this is my compromise.” Mary said.

Luis smiled at her, and she felt her heart flip a little. “So, there was something I wanted to ask you about these negotiations.”

Mary knew what her husband referred to and so she said. “Go on.”

“The Marquess of Dorset is concerned that the Countess of Lennox knows about the plans and as such will try and cause dissent on either side of the border. Given that your cousin Lady Jane has a good claim to the throne, I think the Marquess is concerned that the Countess wants to portray some sort of strife.” Luis said.

“Yes, the sort that would lead to the King of Scots dissolving the negotiations and ignoring everything we have worked for. Margaret wants her own daughter as the Duke’s wife. But she shall not get it.” Mary replied.

“How can you be so sure?” Luis asked.

Mary kissed her husband’s hands. “Because I know my cousin, and I know the King of Scots. And they do not like one another.”

“And of course the Earl of Lennox is not trusted enough by the King of Scots.” Luis said.

“Exactly, meaning this marriage will never happen.” Mary replied smiling.

Chapter 52: Finalising
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 52: Finalising

April, 1552

James sometimes wondered why his nobles made life so difficult. Was there something in the ale and the wine that made them so bloody stubborn and hot headed? Could they not understand that if they simply listened to him and did as he bid, their lives would be so much easier? He’d been proven right time and time again and still they continued to postulate and do all sorts of things that they needn’t do. It was infuriating, but he kept at it, because he was King and that was what Kings did.

He looked at his ministers and said. “We know there are some who think this proposal from our English cousin is suspicious, but here is our reason for why we think it should happen.” He took a breath and continued. “It would prevent the constant fighting that has plagued our two realms since Edward chose Toom Tabard as King following Alexander’s death. It would ensure that we are allied together against the greater menace that is the heresies coming out of Germany. And finally, it would come with greater trade links, ensuring we prosper as a nation.” That his son got on well with the Grey girl was also good, but he knew his lords did not care about that.

Cardinal Beaton who had been much more sympathetic toward his aims since their conversation spoke then. “Sire, I find that you are right. This marriage would ensure that peace can be had on our isle for the first time since Alexander’s day. We need not worry about English aggression if our future King is wed to a member of the royal family who comes with such a significant claim.”

James looked at Beaton and said. “That is one factor, yes, but it is not the only factor. Our cousin of England has looked favourably on Lady Jane, and as such has also hinted that she wishes for a better union of allies between us to ensure the French do not monopolise trade as they have been doing.” King Henry of France was a bit of an idiot, doing as he did with his ships.

“Of course, Sire.” Cardinal Beaton said. “Furthermore it keeps a good woman away from the heresies.”

James nodded, he suspected that Lady Grey was more amenable to the heresies than she let on but he would not say that now. He noticed however, that the Earl of Arran had his hand raised and so he nodded to the man. “Go on.”

The Earl was in the line of succession, some way down behind James’ children, but still he harboured ambitions, James knew. “Sire, whilst I understand where the view of benefits toward the English marriage goes, Lady Grey is just that, a Lady. She is not a Princess of England by birth, and her dowry is being paid for by her father a Marquess, not by the Queen of England. Consequently, I think that we would be better served looking toward a French marriage.”

James almost laughed. Almost. It was so typical of Arran to look at things one way and then go the other way if he learned that Beaton was going toward his original position. “The Queen of England has agreed to pay the dowry for Lady Jane.” James bluffed. That point was still being negotiated, but Arran didn’t need to know that.

Arran looked surprised and then said. “Still, a French marriage is the smarter move for me. It would ensure a maintaining of the traditional alliance and would also give us a large dowry and better economic ties that are guaranteed.”

James looked at the man, Arran was ageing and was perhaps not long left for this world, but he still had supporters at court, some of whom hid their loyalty to him. James took a breath and then replied. “We understand that this was true once, but France now is a Kingdom ruled by an idiot, who listens to a woman old enough to be his mother. King Henry has not given anything to us that we are owed by treaty, and as such, his ships flounder against English and Portuguese and Spanish vessels. We would be mad as King to entrust our nation’s defences to trade with a King such as he.”

Arran looked stumped then, and then said. “But what about allying with England? That has no guarantee of peace.”

“Indeed, perhaps not, not if one were to look at it from the traditional sense. But these are not usual times. Trade is of great importance here and the English need us as much as we need them.” James said, he knew he was exaggerating but still, it would not hurt.

Arran then asked. “What will you do about the Countess of Lennox then?”

James sighed. “Our sister’s daughter will be kept under close watch for now, and the Earl and his wife shall remain at court for the time being.”

“Do you think that is wise?” Arran asked.

James laughed. “Most wise. We all know what the Countess is like.”

“Yes, Sire.” Arran said, though James knew he hadn’t heard the last of this.

Chapter 53: Warwick Groove
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 53: Warwick Groove

July, 1552

Edward cleared his mind, or tried to. He knew why he was here at Warwick Castle. The Queen had given him very specific instructions and he would follow them to the letter. Of course the Queen was pregnant once more, it seemed she and the Duke of Lancaster were desperate for another child, and though he worried for the safety of the Queen given the perils of childbirth, he hoped that they would have a male heir, to truly secure the succession. He cleared his throat and then spoke to the man before him.

“John, I trust you are well.” Edward said. “I am here on orders of Her Majesty, the Queen. I am here to discuss certain rumours that have been heard at court pertaining to you.”

John Dudley had risen high at the court of King Henry through his martial ability and his political skill. Edward knew that a lesser man would not be able to detect subtle hints and changes to his mannerisms, but Edward had worked with John for years before this and he was able to detect certain things. Like right now, John had shifted slightly, which suggested he was nervous. “What things has Her Majesty heard?” John asked, clasping his hands.

“That you have been having secret meetings at your estates with reprehensible figures, trying to stir up discontent against Her Majesty. That you have been using heretical preachers to do your work for you as well.” Edward said carefully.

“Pah, nonsense.” John said, though his hands unclasped suggesting there was truth to what was being said. “I would do no such thing.”

Edward placed two documents on the table before them. “These are documents which were found on two people, both of whom claim to be in your pay.”

“And you believed them? What evidence did they offer?” John demanded.

Edward produced the white fern that John had adopted during his time on the regency council, the piece of paper had been produced en masse when they had thought there might be civil war. “They had this. Both of them. And we both know only those who you saw as your retainers were given them.”

John looked at him and then at the fern, Edward could tell he was trying to formulate a rebuttal but instead he simply sighed and said. “And what of it? It is not a crime to give retainers my sigil in case someone stops them.”

“And why would you think someone was stopping them, or going to stop them, unless they were riding to places where trouble was being fermented?” Edward asked.

There was a moment’s silence then John said. “What do you want from me?”

“I want to know whether you are committing treason, John, that is all.” Edward replied.

“Treason?” John asked, his voice sounded as though it was getting more irate. “How can it be treason when the woman who sits the throne is illegitimate and isn’t even the same religion as most of her subjects?”

“So you admit to plotting against the Queen?” Edward asked.

“I admit to plotting against the bastard yes.” John said. “She has no claim, her father made sure of that, and we both agreed to it when he decided that. His legitimate heirs died with Queen Eleanor, Edward. Why are you supporting some woman who is married to a Portuguese idiot?”

“She is the last living Tudor, she is of King Henry’s blood and his lawful daughter in the eyes of the law and church.” Edward said.

John scoffed. “You only want the power she has given you, you do not care about her legitimacy. You are a traitor to England.”

Edward sighed. “I am not the traitor here.” He nodded to the guards at the back of the room, who entered in. “You are.”

The guards picked him up off the chair and John swore. “What are you doing?”

“John Dudley, Earl of Warwick, on behalf of Her Majesty Queen Mary, I name you traitor to the Queen and Realm and order you to be brought before the crown for judgement.” Edward said.

As the guards dragged John away, the man snarled. “You have sold your soul to the devil!”

Chapter 54: Royals Dance
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 54: Royals Dance

October, 1552

Her belly swelled with child, but there were other things she had to worry about. Mainly what to do about the land that had once belonged to the Earl of Warwick. The man had acquired vast estates during his time serving as a General and Admiral for her father, and then as a regent for her brother and sister. So much land and so much money. Some of it was church land of course, which meant something needed to be done.

“John Dudley, was a man who acquired much. Much of was ill gotten, he stole from those less fortunate than he and bribed others who were from better families. As such, his title has been declared forfeit but the issue of the land remains.” Mary said. “His sons are all young and not yet of an age to stake a full claim to all of it, however, we decided to allow his eldest son Jon to keep his father’s title of Viscount Lisle and the remaining lands and incomes therein. However, that leaves the question of what to do with the rest of the land. We would hear your thoughts on this matter.”

As always, Edward spoke first. “Sire, I think that that land should remain part of the crown’s territories. When the surveyor returned from valuing it, he put it at some £3,000. That would be more than enough to help run the household and bolster other incomes without need of Parliament.”

Mary considered that. The Parliament of her reign had met first shortly after she had been crowned Queen and had been a friendly one, passing the laws needed to persecute the outright heretics who called themselves Puritans, before being prorogued. She had recalled it on Edward’s advice to try John Dudley. But she suspected that if she did not call it again, it would not make much difference. “And what of those lands that Dudley acquired that once belonged the Mother Church? It would be a sin not to take those lands and given them back to the church.” She knew her duty as a Good Catholic.

Edward seemed at a loss to this, but Cranmer, that man who had recanted his faith and had Edward to speak for him, as the only reason he had not burned at the stake, spoke then. “Your Majesty, I have been in contact with the Papal ambassador here, and His Holiness has said that he is willing to allow those lands to remain in the hands of the crown or whoever shall possess them next, for a small fee.”

There was some coughing then. “How much is this small fee?” Mary asked, she suspected it might be some amount that would make the members of her council balk.

“£200, Your Majesty.” Cranmer said.

Mary raised an eyebrow. She suspected that there might be a catch to it, but she decided not to antagonise Cranmer unnecessarily. “Very well. We shall pay it.”

“A wise decision, Sire.” Edward said then.

There was a brief pause. As they all digested this information, then William Herbert, Earl of Pembroke spoke. “Sire, there is one matter I wished to bring to your attention.”

“And what matter is that?” Mary asked. She liked Pembroke he spoke honestly and did not mince his words. It made a nice change.

“The Scottish marriage. Your Majesty declared that Lady Jane would be treated as a member of the Royal Family. Therefore, that means she must be dowered as if she were a Princess. Consequently, I was thinking that perhaps some of the lands collected from others who supported Dudley, could be used as a dower for her.” Pembroke said.

“It is a smart suggestion, Sire.” Edward said. “For it would then give the Scottish King lands in England, and ensure that he would need to keep on your good side so as not to lose them.”

“It would also make him a vassal of us, and therefore ensure he would meddle in our affairs. We do not wish for that.” Mary responded.

“Then perhaps Your Majesty would consent to selling the lands and using that money raised for the dower?” Pembroke asked.

“How much are these lands valued at?” Mary asked.

“Combined? £750.” Pembroke replied.

“More than enough for a lower ranking Princess, Sire.” Edward said.

“Then sell the lands to people who are loyal, and dower her accordingly.” Mary said.

“Yes Your Majesty.” Edward said.

With that Mary rose, and walked out of the chamber. She was feeling tired already and she’d only be active for less than a full sun’s turn.

Chapter 55: Considerations
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 55: Considerations

January, 1553

“Sire, I must state that this offer from the French is one of the better ones that we have received in recent time.” The Earl of Arran said.

James looked at the man and nearly sighed, he was so close to just snapping and telling the man to give it up. Instead, he simply asked. “And why do you say that?”

“They are guaranteeing us free trade, protection of merchant ships coming from their developing colonies in the new world, and a foothold into their own markets within France itself. That is more than anyone else has ever offered us before.” Arran responded.

“And all they want is for us to invade England when the declaration of war happens.” James said.

“A small price to pay for something that could end up shaping and changing our entire fortune as a Kingdom.” Arran responded.

James looked at Arran and wondered just how deep in the French King’s pocket he was. Oh, James knew there were members of his court who were deep in the English Queen’s pocket, but those were people he could control. Arran was a slippery customer at the best of times. “Do you think then that should we march southwards into England that we will get any support from the French? Did our father?”

“Sire, with respect, His Majesty King James’s invasion was one that was ill thought out and cost Scotland her entire nobility. I do not think you are as hot headed as he was, and I do not think you would countenance such a disaster.” Arran said as respectfully as he could.

James had to laugh he could tell Arran was desperate for this to happen. “We do suppose you are right in one sense, after all, the Duke of Guise will land with extra troops should we commit to this invasion. Though the French King does not say when.”

It was at that point that the Earl of Errol spoke. “And that is why I think we should not ally with the French, Sire.”

James looked at the man and raised an eyebrow. “Go on.” He commanded.

“The Duke of Guise and his men would be inexperienced at the best of times, and if they come during the middle of the war, you can guarantee it would be at a moment that would benefit the French, not us. Realistically speaking, even with all the changes and reforms made to our army, we cannot hold off the English for as long as would be needed.” Errol said.

“And whose fault is that?” Arran said suddenly. “Why, one might think it is the responsibility of the Lord High Constable to ensure that this is not the case.”

Errol snapped back. “I cannot perform miracles, I am not God.” There was a brief pause and then. “Sire, the alliance with the English has been hard work in securing, they are guaranteeing us access to their markets and to their developing colonies also. We would be foolish to simply let that go. Furthermore, we would not need to risk sending men into a situation they cannot come out from. A good King knows when to fight and when to allow his people the chance to heal.”

Arran spoke then. “Sire, that would be betraying the very purpose of being the King.”

“You think our purpose is to wage war whenever the French declare it? That we are some sort of puppet?” James demanded.

“No, Sire.” Arran said.

“Good, because we would not tolerate such a thing. The betrothal has finally been agreed with England over Lady Jane Grey. We shall not squander that. No, we shall declare neutrality.” James decided.

Chapter 56: Pembroke's War
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 56: Pembroke’s War

April, 1553

William straightened out his papers and looked at the Queen and Duke of Lancaster. This meeting was the last one they would have before troops were deployed to the continent to fight the French. William was looking forward to this war, it had been too long since they had last fought such a war and decimated the French. Something he was confident they could achieve this time around.

He cleared his throat, and at a look from the Queen, spoke. “Your Majesties, the matter is simple. After analysing all the reports we have received from our sources on the continent, I think it is reasonable to expect that Henry of France will himself lead the attack on Calais and the Pale. The man is desperate to make up for the mistakes of his father, and is also desperate to show his people that the days of the French being defeated by us and the Spanish are at an end.”

The Duke of Lancaster spoke then. “How many men would the King of France bring?” The man was very forthright and did not harbour any doubt, he’d spoken briefly during the first sitting of Parliament last month, and had gotten a standing ovation.

“From all the reports, I would have to say he would bring 30,000 men including forty cannon. We currently have twelve cannon in Calais, and could bring another twenty safely by ship to Calais. However, we must look to fight this war without use of cannon.” William answered.

“How do you mean?” The Duke of Lancaster asked.

“Well, Your Royal Highness, the matter is simple really. Should the French bring their cannons to bear, we will lose. We cannot defeat them in gun fire, and we should rely on the Spanish coming to our aid this time around. Instead what we must do is force them into open field during the rainy season which is in a few weeks’ time. We must force them out into a situation where their cannons will not work. Then we can use our superior cavalry to bring them down to size.” William answered.

“And you do not think that the French will suspect this?” The Duke of Lancaster asked. “After all, there are some very good commanders amongst their army.”

“I do think that they might suspect this, but they will not act on their suspicions. Henry of France still dominates the thinking of the military, as King, and he will want to take us on head on.” William answered confidently.

The Queen spoke then. “How can you be so sure?”

“Because I have studied him, his way of movement, and the way he responds to problems. His immediate declaration of war on us and his offer to Scotland suggests he will come straight into the line of battle.” William said.

The Queen said nothing, instead she looked to her husband who spoke. “Very well then, Lord Pembroke. You have given us your thoughts, now we shall give you ours.” William said nothing, merely waited. Eventually the Duke spoke. “We shall land at Calais, and we shall set up proper protections for the pale and the city itself. We shall then advance forward three miles, setting up proper defences once there. We shall then tempt the King of France into action, using the terrain to our advantage. This means we must immediately disembark, prepare and then execute our plan. We cannot let him scout ahead. Do you agree?”

William thought briefly on the land of Calais and the other terrain around and nodded. “I do, Your Royal Highness.”

“Good, then we are sorted. We shall leave in a day’s time.” The Duke said.

With that the Queen waved a hand, William rose, bowed, straightened then left. Deep down he suspected the Duke would do more of the planning and leading once they were there, and he found that was only appropriate, being as the man was the Queen’s consort.

Chapter 57: Lady Jane Grey
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 57: Lady Jane Grey

July, 1553

When they had first come to Scotland, Jane had found it to be quite depressing. It rained all the time, the people were gruff and well there was little to do. Then she had become friends with a few of the girls about the court, and had gotten to know little Princess Mary and of course the Duke of Rothesay and things had gotten better. And then her father had told her she was to be betrothed to marry the Duke and well she had not know what to feel about that. She was a full three years older than the Duke, and though he was heir to the throne, he was not the person she had had her eye on. Though of course now things were changing. She was making a concerted effort to get to know her future husband, and well she found she actually quite liked him.

They were out walking in the gardens of Stirling Castle, and enjoying the rare burst of sunshine. As was proper she waited for her betrothed to speak. “You know something, Jane,” they had dispensed with formalities some time ago. “I think I can understand now why Edward Bruce made that deal with the English commander about Stirling.”

Her betrothed was an avid reader of history and so Jane had taken to it to, and found she quite enjoyed it herself. “And why is that, James?” It still felt so odd saying her betrothed’s actual name and not his title.

“Because he was counting on the English King coming to rescue the garrison.” James replied.

“What makes you say so?” She replied.

“The fact that Stirling was the last bastion of English power in Scotland and that if the garrison surrendered then Edward would face complete humiliation and likely another rebellion by his barons.” James said.

Jane thought on it and then said. “Indeed, I think you are right, James. Though it was quite the gamble by Edward Bruce. He would not have known whether his brother’s forces could defeat the English in open battle. And of course he could not have known that his brother would so readily agree to this battle.”

James looked at her and asked. “You think he was being foolish?”

“I think he was being a man, and a man who wanted to move from his brother’s shadow.” Jane said.

James looked intrigued by what she had said and as they kept walking he asked. “What would you have done?”

“I would never have made the agreement, instead I would have found someone who knew the way into the castle through an entrance the English did not know about and I would have taken the castle that way.” Jane replied.

Intrigued, James asked. “But how do you know the English would not have expected that, given the way the Scots had been fighting until then?”

“Exactly, they had fought that way on the ground. Taking a castle is another thing.” Jane said.

They sat down then, with their chaperone being a few feet away. Jane saw her betrothed look at the chaperone with disgust. “I don’t understand why we need that person there following us. Guards I can understand, but why them?”

“It is to ensure neither of us do something we would later regret, James.” Jane said, daring to take her betrothed’s hand in hers.

“But what would we do?” James asked.

Jane wanted to say a lot of things, but instead she simply said. “Adults worry unnecessarily about a lot of things. Better to let them have this than not.”

“I suppose so.” James said.

Deciding to change the topic, Jane asked. “What have you learned in your lessons with the Honourable John Knox?” She had secretly gone to listen to one of his sermons the other day and found him a fascinating speaker. He toed the King’s line of reform, but spoke with ferocious passion that she shared.

“He spoke about how we as rulers need to do more for the people, under God’s word. That we need not always follow Rome’s example for things to do. That we innately know right from wrong being God’s chosen.” James said.

Jane could tell that confused her betrothed and so she asked. “Do you not agree?”

“I don’t know. I just find it hard to see that with what we are taught by the Church.” James said. “And it does sound oddly like heresy to say that we should not be listening constantly to Rome.”

Jane thought on that and then replied. “I think that perhaps what the Honourable Knox is saying is that, instead of always looking to Rome, think for yourself about what should be done and whether or not that fits with the Church’s teachings. After all you deign authority from God, above all else.”

“I see. I suppose that makes sense.” James said. “I really do like these walks of ours.” Her betrothed said.

Chapter 58: War
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 58: War

October, 1553

Henri looked at the situation before him and sighed. “We are never going to be able to take the English down unless we push ahead, this delay is unacceptable.”

“Sire, we are not within range for our cannons. If we advance without that, the English are liable to push ahead and ensure we can never get within range.” Louis, Duke of Montpensier said.

“We do not care!” Henri said. “We know that if we remain seated here we are going to spend the winter watching our advantages slip away and that is something we cannot allow.”

Montpensier said nothing, but Montmercy said. “Sire, perhaps there is another way we can engage in action before the end of the campaign season without needing to expose the entire army to the conditions.”

“We are listening.” Henri said. He liked Montmercy for the fact that the man never said nothing was possible, instead he thought of solutions and took the appropriate action to make it happen.

“I suggest we station two to three thousand men on the ride outside the town. This will make the English think we are preparing for an immediate assault. They will also expect that we are going to bring the cannons there as well. Instead, we keep the cannons here, we let the men on the ridge begin to make as though they are going to charge the town, we then take the main body of the host toward the borders of the Pale and we begin taking those towns.” Montmercy said.

Henri looked at the man and said. “We do not see how that benefits us.”

Montmercy looked at him as though he were an idiot. Slowly the man said. “Sire, by sending those men toward the ridge, the English will brace for an immediate attack on Calais itself, thinking that we will send the full might of the army here toward it. But if we then divert attention toward the border towns we will secure supplies and a proper route for when winter comes. Thus, making it harder for the Calais garrison and army there to truly do anything.”

Henri thought on this for a moment and then asked. “Are those towns defended heavily?” He knew he needed to achieve something. He had sent the Prince of Conde off to fight the Spanish in Italy, with an army he was not entirely sure he should have given him, and he needed to take Calais to show he was not his father.

“They have between them some two thousand men within them, Sire.” Montmercy said. “One of their commanders though is related to the Queen of England.”

That got his interest. “Oh?” Henri said. He thought on it for a moment and then decided. “Then we shall take the men to these towns and take this relative.” He looked at Montpensier and said. “You shall command the two thousand men on the ridge.”

“Yes Sire.” The man replied.

Chapter 59: Calais
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 59: Calais

January, 1554

“Your Royal Highness, after looking through the provisions and supplies, I would say we have enough to last into the new season before we need to start worrying about provisions.” The Earl of Pembroke said. Luis liked the man he was straight forward and held no airs.

“And what about the enemy?” Luis asked. If the French were going to be foolish enough to besiege Calais he wanted to know whether they would be able to survive or not.

“I would say that with the King of France having taken the bordering towns, they should be reasonably supplied as well.” Pembroke said.

Luis nodded. The French had made a surprising move months ago and taken two of the border towns on the edge of the Pale. He had been there a few days before they had arrived but had been in Calais when they had fallen. “I see.” He thought on it for a moment and then said. “Then we need to rethink our plan.”

“Your Royal Highness?” Pembroke asked sounding confused.

“We cannot rightly stick to our current plan of outlasting the French when they have supplies coming in from the south. No, we must either force them into battle, or look to pull more supplies from England. Given that it is winter, and that the French fleet is patrolling the channel I doubt that would be advisable.” Luis said. “Therefore, we shall need to think of ways to force them out into the open.”

Pembroke seemed as if he did not quite know what to say in response, instead it was the Earl of Surrey who spoke. “Your Royal Highness, perhaps we might need to think of a divergence just as the French did.”

“Go on.” Luis said. He was intrigued by the Earl of Surrey, the man seemed quite controversial to his fellow peers, but it was undeniable that he had a brain in his head.

“Well, my suggestion is quite simple, Your Royal Highness. We have fewer men than the French therefore they will think that we shall remain in Calais behind strong walls and defences. They will not expect us to divide our host up and sending one portion of it outside to retake one of the border towns.” Surrey said.

Pembroke spoke then. “Such a thing would be akin to madness. We are less than half the size of the French army, we cannot sustain such a divergence and not suffer huge losses.”

“Yes, but the surprise it will cause the French will give them pause and make them think twice about continuing their long standing siege of Calais. Furthermore, if we do this, then we give the Spanish breathing room as well.” Surrey said.

“Surrey is right.” Luis said. He had received a letter from his wife some two weeks ago, which had spoken about the word coming from the Spanish King, that his son was moving into Aquitaine and Gascony with a large force that would likely distract the French as well.

“Your Royal Highness such a move would be madness.” Pembroke said again.

“Would you rather our army starved?” Luis demanded.

“No, Your Royal Highness, of course not.” Pembroke replied.

“Then we shall do as Surrey advises. In three days’ time, I want a small force prepared and ready. We shall prepare a feint toward the French occupied towns and then move from there.” Luis said.

“Who shall command?” Pembroke asked.

“Someone easily disposable.” Luis said to Pembroke.

“Derby, Your Royal Highness.” Pembroke said instantly.

“Then Derby it is.” Luis said.