Flower O'Scotland

Could be another daughter called something other than Mary born in between her and Arthur, if you want.

I thought about that. It would be difficult to get another nine months pregnancy in before December 1542, since the third child hasn't been born yet. It's easier just to move Mary's birthday up by a couple of months...

Chapter 6: Knox

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 6: Knox

February, 1542

The Archbishop had brought him to court, to present him before the King. John did not know how this had happened. He had been content to tutor Hugh Douglas’s children and to be a minor member of the Parish in St Andrews, and yet here he was, standing before God’s representative in Scotland. John took a moment, and swallowed with nerves as the Cardinal introduced him.

“John Knox of St Andrews, a member of my parish, and a valued tutor to Hugh Douglas’ children, Sire.”

John bowed before the King, and then walked forward, still bowed and kissed the King’s outstretched hand. “An honour, Sire.” John said, his heart in his mouth.

“Rise.” The King said with authority, he was tallish, with dark brown hair and piercing eyes. “Cardinal Beaton, you may leave us.” The Cardinal bowed and walked out of the room. Once the Cardinal was gone, the King spoke again. “The Cardinal tells us that you have some interesting notions about the Holy Bible and Rome. We would be much pleased to hear them.”

For a moment John froze, and wondered if he had said something out of line. He knew the King had ordered reformers burned before for heresy, but nothing he had said so far counted as such. He wondered then if Cardinal Beaton was trying to play him, but the Cardinal was not as smart as that. He took a breath and then said. “It would be my pleasure, Sire.”

“Then do go on.” The King said.

“Sire, my initial thoughts are not on the Bible itself, for that book is God’s word. No, my thoughts are more on management of the church and how it can be improved.” John said, he saw the King smile and took that as encouragement to continue. “Sire, currently there are any number of priests or bishops wandering around with bastards roaming after them. This is a terrible stain on the reputation of the Scottish church. Rome will never allow these people to marry and sire legitimate children, for Rome is filled with old men who are nothing short of hypocrites. Therefore, I propose that we allow these priests and bishops to marry, not only to spare themselves hell and damnation, but also to spare the souls of their children.”

“And why would I do that?” the King asked. “I am not the Vicar of Christ, but merely a King.”

“But you are God’s chosen in Scotland, Sire. The Church here is under your control. The church already gives you a portion of their rent as money in lieu of tax. Why not charge the priests and bishops who sin for said sin, and encourage marriage?” John replied.

“And you think the clergy would be amenable to this?” The King asked.

“Sire, I think the clergy have no choice but to be amenable to it. Otherwise they are committing sin, and losing the respect of the people.” John said, he already knew of the out roar that had come when the Bishop of Dundee had been revealed to have sired some thirteen children with three different women.

“Then we propose that you come with us when we host our conference in Stirling later this year. We would much like for you to present this argument before the lords and clergy of the realm.” The King said.

John was surprised by that, he had not thought the King would make such a generous offer. He saw his chance, to grow beyond what limits he had now, and perhaps with time become the King’s main councillor. With that in mind he said. “It would honour me, Sire.”

The King clapped his hands then and said. “Then it is decided.”

VVD0D95

Banned
Now this is obviously big, John Knox did in otl lead the Scottish reformation, so if he's onside with the King here, who knows what might change/

Chapter 7: Maria

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 7: Maria

April, 1542

Mary sighed. She had returned from court and now all she felt was the sin of jealousy. She did not remember her father ever being so kind and generous to her as he was to her sister Eleanor. He seemed to have become ever more the doting father in his old age. Mary felt jealous, and she felt aggrieved. Seeing her new step mother with her daughter made Mary pine after her own family, something her father steadfastly refused to give her.

She pushed the thought aside and looked at her mother’s former friend, who Father had thankfully allowed her to retain. “Lady Maria, tell me something, is it normal for someone to feel loss for something they never had?”

“Madam?” Lady Maria replied sounding uncertain. They spoke in Spanish, a language Mary had been taught as a little girl by her mother.

“Is it normal for someone such as myself to feel jealous over something she has never known? Meaning, a family.” Mary said.

“Oh Madam, it is normal as anything. Especially when one is cruelly denied it as you have been.” Maria said.

Mary sighed. “I do not know what to feel. I feel jealousy is unbecoming of a Princess, and yet it strikes me whenever I see my father, the King with his daughter Eleanor. I do not know my brother or my other sister. But I know that the King’s new wife is content to show the world how much the King dotes on her daughter.” She did not like Catherine Howard and found her to be overbearing and with ideas above her station.

Catherine, Maria’s daughter, who supported the reformation, but was also fiercely loyal to her, said. “Madam, there is no question that Lady Howard is nothing more than an upstart, but that does not mean you need feel jealousy. I am sure the King’s heart will soften with time.”

Mary laughed. “It has been years since, my Mother the Queen died, and yet he remains against my marriage. I do not know what to do.” Truth was, she had almost given up hope.

“Then perhaps there is another option open to you, Madam.” Catherine said.

“What do you mean?” Mary demanded.

Dorothy Stafford, another lady in waiting and long time friend spoke. “My lady, there is the option of finding help in the personage of the imperial ambassador.” A pause then. “You know he is a great friend to you, and has always been friendly toward you.”

“And how would he help me? He cannot help me escape from this fate, nor can he help me convince the King to let me wed.” Mary said sadly.

Maria spoke. “He has the option of taking you for a visit to see your cousin, the Emperor. The King cannot deny you that, especially if the Emperor issues you a formal invitation, madam.”

“And what could convince the Emperor to do that now, when he has not done it before?” Mary asked.

“The prospect of gaining your hand away from anyone else. The fact that the King is looking to renew his wars with France, and all sorts of other things.” Maria supplied.

“You mean his war with Spain, if there was a war with France, I would be stuck here.” Mary said.

Catherine spoke then. “Madam, I am going to court by month’s end. Let me see if I can meet with the ambassador and see what he says. You never know how God might favour you.”

Mary thought about this for a long moment and then said. “Very well, try it, but no word to anyone.”

Really enjoying this! Please keep it coming! I particularly like a ruthless Catherine Howard with a child in the line of succession.

Also very eager to hear what happens to (OTL) Mary Queen of Scots.

Chapter 8: Aviz

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 8: Aviz

June, 1542

“We continue to face obstacles at further expansion and the proper establishment of trade links within the country due to the actions of the Princes and the Sultans. We will need to put more funds into ensuring they do not undermine everything that we have achieved Sire.” Teodosio his trade minister said.

John looked at the man and then asked. “Which princes are the ones who stand in the way of our expansion and trade?” He had studied India for as long as he could remember, there was a patchwork of alliances in place which his forbearers had developed, but this, this needed to be done properly.

“It is the Sultanates, Sire. They stand opposed due to what they see as our heresy.” Teodosio replied.

John sighed. “And what of the Hindu Princes?”

“They are busy fighting one another, Sire. They see no benefit in getting involved.” Teodosio said.

Duarte, his cousin spoke then. “Sire, I think it would be best if we approached the Hindu Princes and took it from there. We do not want to make a move that could endanger everything.”

“You are right of course.” John acknowledged. He looked at Teodosio. “Tell our governor that we wish for him to begin a cautious approach and go from there.” The man nodded and John turned his attention elsewhere. “Now, what of Spain and France, where do things stand there?”

Duarte spoke then. “Sire, Emperor Charles remains indifferent to the moves the French are making within their own borders, however, he has sent word that he wishes to discuss a renewal of an alliance. A potential marriage between his son and Princess Maria.”

John looked at his cousin and fought back a sigh. Another marriage with Spain? That would make them the heirs to his son and only surviving heir. “And what would he offer in return for this?”

“A continuation of the non-aggression pact that he has shown since his ascension.” Duarte replied.

John laughed. “You mean the non-aggression he has had to show since he has been surrounded by enemies on all sides.” There was a pause and then he said. “We shall consider this.”

There was a moment of silence, and then Doctor Enrique had been attending his wife spoke. “Sire, if I may?”

“Speak.” John said knowing what the man was going to say.

“Her Majesty the Queen is not getting any better, and whilst it pains me to say this, perhaps it would be wise to consider another marriage for Your Majesty? After all, the succession is not secure.”

“What, offer us as a contender for the hand of one of Charles’s daughters?” John asked, fighting back a laugh. “You think the man will accept that?”

Before the Doctor could respond, one of his servants came and whispered something in his ear. The Doctor stood up and said. “Sire, the Queen is ailing.” John stood up immediately then and walked with the doctor, the councillors coming with him.

They got to his wife’s room, the Doctor took her pulse and then looked at him. “Well?” John demanded.

“I would summon the priest, Sire.” The doctor replied.

John did as was suggested and the priest came, the last rites were performed, and John watched as his wife died before his eyes. He sighed and murmured to himself. “God has shown on you today Charles.” With that he turned and stalked from the room.

VVD0D95

Banned
I can't see him not, given how fragile the Portuguese Succession must be at this point. The question is who? Margaret of France, perhaps?

Agreed, I think Margaret of France is an option, though I can also see Charles offering up his daughter Maria

VVD0D95

Banned
Is the wife that just died Catherine of Austria? What did she die of? I'm curious since in OTL, she outlived John.

Mary (I) would be very interesting, though I suspect you already have plans for her.

Less likely options:

Sigismund I of Poland's daughters:
Archduchess Anna of Austria (b. 1528)
It was Indeed and she died from complications arising from surgery to deal with an illness.

And on Mary would Henry let her marry?