Flag Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flag for Zimmerwald's TL, Wir Sind Spartakus!, for Germany:

WirSindSpartakusGermany.png

Excuse my ignorance, but it seems everyone cites convergent borders in the map thread, and you just talked about convergence again. What is it and why is it bad?
Convergency, in laimans terms, is defined as something tat comes together. In terms of this board, convergency is when there is a POD that should not have borders similar to OTL, yet they are. an example being a POD in the 800s AD.. and as the universe diverges, the borders converge.

Convergency, in laimans terms, is defined as something tat comes together. In terms of this board, convergency is when there is a POD that should not have borders similar to OTL, yet they are. an example being a POD in the 800s AD.. and as the universe diverges, the borders converge.

OK, thanks.

Thande

Donor
Excuse my ignorance, but it seems everyone cites convergent borders in the map thread, and you just talked about convergence again. What is it and why is it bad?

To add to what 09 says, in a flag context it's using symbols that in OTL were created long after the POD, and you can imagine a committee or a group of frenzied rebels on the street having infinite imagination to choose from so it's pretty silly to use the same as OTL.

For example hammers and sickles on Communist flags where the POD is pre-1900 (and besides, it's not as if hammers and sickles were used on all Communist flags even in OTL).

I'm almost embarassed to post this one, since it's not terribly creative, being both a defaced British ensign and a "Frankenflag" - two fairly boring things on a thread like this. But check this out: if the Cook Islands annexed Pitcairn, and they combined their flags, the resulting flag is a clear improvement over both. I always thought the Cook Islanders needed something in the middle of that circle. And a Bible and anchor can stand in just as well for the Cook Islanderss as for the Pitkern: they're also seafarers, also quite religious.

Cook_islands_flag_%281983DD%29.png

Black-white-red is just so Prussian-monarchist, though. Would the Communists keep symbols that are so attached to the Kaiser / King of Prussia? Or does Prussia still somehow dominate Communist Germany?

Krall

Banned
Black-white-red is just so Prussian-monarchist, though. Would the Communists keep symbols that are so attached to the Kaiser / King of Prussia? Or does Prussia still somehow dominate Communist Germany?

I believe that - post-WW1 - red, white and black were considered to be nationalist colours in Germany, hence why those colours were used by the nazis. It is still unlikely that a communist Germany would use what is essentially a recoloured version of an OTL communist German flag.

It does look kind of cool, though.

An interesting footnote to the whole issue is that the "liberation commitee" set up by the Russians during the war, which included prominent German communists who had been in Russia in 1941 and obeyed Moscow, actually used Black-White-Red. Its "target demographic" was disillusioned, traditionalist officers like Paulus, who also sat on it.

The flag is pretty unlikley, though, yeah...

I've put a few of Albion's provincial flags into stamp form. The back story is that the Federal Postal Service issued a Provincial Flag Series for the realm's bicentennial in 1989 (as the USA did in 1975/76 in OTL). Here's the flag stamps for East and West Florida:

EWFL.png

Status
Not open for further replies.