Flag Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canada...
According to Wikipedia, the maple leaf as a symbol of Canada dates back to about 1700. Other symbols could be a buffalo, beaver or moose maybe?

New Orleans...
Three gold fleur-de-lis were the Bourbons' symbol IIRC. How about a blue stripe on white for either the Mississippi or Gulf of Mexico?

Columbia...
British Columbia's setting sun could be used for Columbia's position on the west coast. Also possibly a beaver, or a douglas fire (from Oregon and Cascadia respectively). Similar to OTL CoA of Canada, the CoA could be England, Scotland, Spain (a Burgundian cross?), Russia (black eagle on yellow).

New Russia...
If the people of New Russia didn't really want to be independent, then the flag would probably be quite similar to Russia's.

Greater Cuba..
Something to do with the number 3 and/or 4 for the 3 major islands (Cuba, Hispaniola, Puerto Rico) and 4 countries etc. (Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico)?

How these suggestions help!

The Eight United Provinces of America

UEh69.png

The United American Empire

OCpz3.png

Last edited:
The Eight United Provinces of America

The United American Empire

Well done! My only nit would be the contradiction between the 13 stars in the OTL Great Seal of the USA and the number of stars on the flag for the stated number of provinces in the union -- 8.

Okay, I'm going to design some flags and I was looking for ideas. ...
Greater Cuba- consists of Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic. Again, looking for a better name. I'm thinking Spanish Antillies, the Cuban Federation, or the Caribbean Federation as alternate names. In the 1870s, Cuba and Puerto Rico were granted limited autonomy, and they became independent in 1897, during one of the many Haitian invasions of the Dominican Republic (there were a lot of them ITTL), the Dominicans petitioned for annexation by this Federation. I'm not sure what type of symbolism would be used here. I need lots of ideas.

Any help you could provide would be much appreciated. :)

Here's one which I posted on the old flag thread for Cuba. I hope it helps get your creative juices flowing. BTW, Spanish Antillies sounds cool.

alt Cuba gif.gif

Attachments

• Flags of Communist Spain, DBWI North Korea and DBWI South Korea (S.V.G.).zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 670

Thande

Donor
Very nice, Transparent Blue. I think I've said before how you have a good grasp of making flags simple and striking like memorable OTL ones, whereas a lot of people tend to make them overly complex.

Very nice, Transparent Blue. I think I've said before how you have a good grasp of making flags simple and striking like memorable OTL ones, whereas a lot of people tend to make them overly complex.
I do not fully agree with his methods of producing such flags... though i completely agree with the final product.

Some flags look great with extreme complexity. an example would be the last flag that TB did for me..

Good after-noon! :)

Here are three flags that I designed to-day be-cause I was bored. As usual, they are free-to-use.

- A modern-looking Communist Spain.
- A D.B.W.I. North Korea.
- A D.B.W.I. South Korea. The tri-gram is that of 'South'. I don't like this one but I'll share it any-way.

[GENERAL: Profile // Gallery // Copyright]
[WEEKLY FLAG CHALLENGE: New Challenges & Previous Winners // Discussion & Entries]

Yes, they are very nice TB.

Lost Flags of Old

Was cleaning out my flash drive when I stumbled upon these, original file was created back in 2005. They're from a world where the CPs won WWI, and France went *Fascist first. So, like a book: German "neo-Fascist" flag based on the French one; a different flag for Israel; the Greek Fascist flag, and the French version, sparking the style for other Fascist regiemes.

Flagcleaning.png

This is a modification of another flag that I posted way back in this thread or possibly the thread before.

It's the Flag of the "Kingdom of Arendor"; one of the major nations in a book I'm writing. The flag is all but complete. I just need to figure out what motto I should write on the COA.

FANTASYFLAG23.png

Last edited:
This is a modification of another flag that I posted way back in this thread or possibly the thread before.

It's the Flag of the "Kingdom of Arendor"; one of the major nations in a book I'm writing. The flag is all but complete. I just need to figure out what motto I should write on the COA.

the first black quadrant with the diagonal needs to be patched.. as the Diagonal doesn't reach the Corner but just the 45 point of intersection

the first black quadrant with the diagonal needs to be patched.. as the Diagonal doesn't reach the Corner but just the 45 point of intersection

That's the point.
I made this without adheering to all twenty-seven gazillion "rules"

Btw I did try to make it as you said in the beginning but it just looked wrong. The line to the right of the center shield-thing had to be changed as well and it ended up totally wrong.
This just works better.

That's the point.
I made this without adheering to all twenty-seven gazillion "rules"

Btw I did try to make it as you said in the beginning but it just looked wrong. The line to the right of the center shield-thing had to be changed as well and it ended up totally wrong.
This just works better.
well.. if you shrink the lower edge of the Shield, and move the central image towards the center, then you wont get the angle change, will keep the overall shape, and still have the quality of that design

well.. if you shrink the lower edge of the Shield, and move the central image towards the center, then you wont get the angle change, will keep the overall shape, and still have the quality of that design

That's one possibility, yes. It destroys the symbolism in the coa, but I'd might as well try it :); exchange one symbolism for another lol

Status
Not open for further replies.