Favorite random nation, culture, ethnic group, or religion?

The Cymry or Welsh as an ethnicity group along a general interest in the Sorbs, Old Prussians, and other lesser known Eastern European cultures.

As for nations, the Seleucid Empire has always fascinated me and I'll probably at least attempt an Antiochus III timeline at some point.

The Cymry or Welsh as an ethnicity group along a general interest in the Sorbs, Old Prussians, and other lesser known Eastern European cultures.

As for nations, the Seleucid Empire has always fascinated me and I'll probably at least attempt an Antiochus III timeline at some point.
The Welsh are cool, any time I see them remain independent in a TL it makes me happy.

I have always been fascinated by the Druids

And also Carthage
Carthage is interesting to me, as they were a lingering offshoot of the old Phoenician civilization - which, in the homeland in the Levant had long since been assimilated into more powerful neighbors, Hellenized, and lost much of its distinctiveness.

I always find "offshoots" that survive longer than the mother country/culture interesting... Trebizond and Theodoro's Gothic enclave in Crimea work too :)

I have a Welsh speaking region in my TL, hasn't appeared yet, but will. The history of the British isles generally is fascinating. And Wales has an especially rich history.

Brahui language of the Northern Dravidian language family. There are so many theories as to how they ended up 1500 kms away from the nearest Dradividian language, it's really fascinating to speculate.

Personally my favourite one is that they are remnants of a Dravidian speaking IVC population, which now cannot be confirmed due to extensive input of Iranian vocabulary.

Some had theorized that this may be a result of a more recent migration from central India, but this was disproved when it was found that the Brahui speakers are genetically indistinguishable from their neighbouring Baloch.

Brahui language of the Northern Dravidian language family. There are so many theories as to how they ended up 1500 kms away from the nearest Dradividian language, it's really fascinating to speculate.

Personally my favourite one is that they are remnants of a Dravidian speaking IVC population, which now cannot be confirmed due to extensive input of Iranian vocabulary.

Some had theorized that this may be a result of a more recent migration from central India, but this was disproved when it was found that the Brahui speakers are genetically indistinguishable from their neighbouring Baloch.
The entire Dravidian language tree is really interesting. Dont know much about it, and had never heard of Brahui.

Actually had a classmate in college MANY years ago who was Iranian Zoroastrian/Mazdayasna, on her father's side of the family... wish I had asked her more about it!

I have a Zoroastrian friend and had the pleasure to talk with him about the beliefs and rituals of his faith a few weeks back. Have to explore that more often though

Going with my earlier post on colonial Hispanos being thriving and numeric...

I'd love to see more independent Francophone Louisianas, ESPECIALLY ones dominated in numbers and culture by the original colonial Creoles and not basically a "Cajun Republic", though I admit Cajuns are welcome in the timeline to add regionalist flair in southwestern Louisiana and Texas. The idea of an independent strip of land centered on New Orleans, and extending east to Mobile Bay and west to Beaumont, tickles me. Bonus points if it manages to become friendly with and become America's Little Buddy (TM).

What amazes me about the Alans is that they seemed to be everywhere... all over the map... for centuries.... even leaving, so I've heard, a legacy in some place-names as far west as France.
Now, as Ossetians, just another one of the seemingly random assortment of peoples in the Caucasus...

I have seen some claim that the Pashtun who speak a language closely related to Ossetian should be counted as Scythians. Which really give them a significant legacy.

There was a thread this site a few years ago on a similar topic. My answer there applies here too:
I’ve recently heard about the Dorset people and think they are rather interesting. A mysterious group that inhabited arctic North America before the arrival of the Inuit/Eskimo, they apparently lacked drills and bow-&-arrow technology but were highly adapt at carving. Despite being all but pushed out by ~1500 A.D. there are some theories that their culture survived in isolated pocket-communities into the start of the 20th century!
As for religions, I’m always fascinate hearing about various Gnostic sects and how drastically their beliefs differed from what became mainstream Christianity. Like the Ophites for example who venerated Jesus Christ… and the Serpent of Eden (as a Prometheus-like figure).
Another for me is the Indo-Greeks. An excellent example of two very different cultures syncretizing with each other at a very early date while also being quite well documented, and one that had significant cultural impact across Asia.
One of the products of this syncretization are depictions of King of the Olympians Zeus and/or his son Hercules hanging out together with Lord Buddha:
Wikipedia said:
As Buddhism expanded in Central Asia and fused with Hellenistic influences into Greco-Buddhism, the Greek hero Heracles was adopted to represent Vajrapāni.[15] In that era, he was typically depicted as a hairy, muscular athlete, wielding a short "diamond" club. Buddhaghosa associated Vajrapāni with the deva king Indra.[13] Some authors believe that the deity depicted is actually Zeus, whose Classical attribute is the thunderbolt.[16]

Vajrapāni as Heracles or Zeus, second-century.

The Buddha with his protector Vajrapāni. Gandhara, 2nd century

Last edited:
I like the African Romance-speaking peoples, the so-called Afro-Roman culture, since going by the archaeology and extant sources it was an integral part of the Roman world. It produced its own unique language and cultural ideas, like the African church and how it approached martyrdom and lapsed Christians. But they are totally obscure and probably the most famous person of their culture, St. Augustine, is rarely put into the context of Roman Africa. It's unfortunate they were defeated, marginalized, and then persecuted into extinction since it would be interesting to see how they'd culturally fuse with the Berbers (more than they already had) and connect with other post-Roman cultures in the Mediterranean.
I don't know a lot about them, certainly not as much a I should, but given that I'm from the PNW, I'm always partial to the idea of a surviving chinook or Haida polity. Neither are really lesser known, since I think everyone knows a bit about their states first inhabitants, but compared to the east coast or great planes, the natives out west do get a lot less attention
The Chinook had the misfortune of being hit first and hardest with the epidemics, including the rarely-discussed malaria epidemic in the 1830s that killed 70-90% of Chinookan-speakers west of the Cascades (and about 90% of the Willamette Valley's natives, and killed natives as far south as the Central Valley in California). They also had been hit hard with the late 18th century smallpox epidemic there. As for a surviving Chinookan (or Haida) polity, you see a lot of discussing about surviving Maori polities even though the Maori and the PNW in the early 19th century had all sorts of parallels.

My favorite lesser-known American Indian group is probably the Yuchi. They speak a language isolate and appear to have a long history in the state I'm from (Tennessee), yet they're rarely mentioned in the context of natives of the state because they mostly migrated out of the boundaries of modern TN by the 18th century and probably also because they played a minimal role in the famous Indian Wars against the Five Civilized Tribes (especially the Cherokee). But it seems likely they played a huge role in the Mississippian cultures of Tennessee (and parts of Kentucky) which makes them even more enigmatically fascinating given the collapse of Mississippian culture.

I'd also add the Athabaskans, since they're spread so widely across North America and spread relatively recently, and also because of their links to Siberia since they have cultural elements that appear to originate from the same source as the Tungusic peoples as well as the Turks and Mongols (the proto-Yeniseians). If there ever was a group that could've been the Indo-Europeans or Bantu of North America, it was them.
The entire spectrum of Polish history also deserves more attention I think. Despite being one of the more influential European states, with a rich history, art, written tradition, and culture everyone just kinda knows Poland from the WWII memes and maybe the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, which also deserves more attention, as does Lithuania.
There aren't enough "successful PLC" TLs or maps IMO.

South Semitic Peoples like Himyarites , Tigray and Mehri .Especially South Arabians , impressive the language still persists despite others falling in favour of Arabic.

Hausa peoples of West Africa .

Chuvash , descendants of Bulgars ? Huns? Khazars ? . Only leaving Oghuric Language.

Hungarians . Uralic in a sea of Indo European , enough said.

Brahui : Dravidian in a sea of Indo Iranian .

Jutes : Mysterious peoples in Denmark . Apparently the first to migrate To England .

Khorasani Arabs .

-The Republic of China
-The Inuit (I want to see the Inuit do something in a TL, don't know if that's ever happened)
-Proto-Protestant groups like the Waldensians, Lollards, and Hussites

Deleted member 163405

My favorite is definitely the Haya people of Tanzania, a short exert from Wiki cus I’m feeling lazy Archaeologist Peter Schmidt discovered evidence through a combination of archaeology and oral tradition that the Haya had been smelting iron ore to make carbon steel for around 2300–2000 years. This discovery happened when Schmidt was working at the village of Kataruka. Elders at Kataruka informed Schmidt that their ancestors had smelted iron underneath a sacred shrine tree called Kaiija ("the place of the forge"). Results of the later excavation led to the discovery of an iron furnace carbon-dated to the 1st millennium BC. Which honestly if a ethnic group of Africans making advanced carbon steel unknown to the rest of the world, under a sacred tree shrine forge isn’t the coolest thing ever then I don’t know what is.

My favorite is definitely the Haya people of Tanzania, a short exert from Wiki cus I’m feeling lazy Archaeologist Peter Schmidt discovered evidence through a combination of archaeology and oral tradition that the Haya had been smelting iron ore to make carbon steel for around 2300–2000 years. This discovery happened when Schmidt was working at the village of Kataruka. Elders at Kataruka informed Schmidt that their ancestors had smelted iron underneath a sacred shrine tree called Kaiija ("the place of the forge"). Results of the later excavation led to the discovery of an iron furnace carbon-dated to the 1st millennium BC. Which honestly if a ethnic group of Africans making advanced carbon steel unknown to the rest of the world, under a sacred tree shrine forge isn’t the coolest thing ever then I don’t know what is.
Nearly as cool as the ancient Sri Lankans that used the winds from the yearly monsoons to smelt iron. Didn't know about that tribe.

Anasazi and tribes of the American SW up until 1707 or so.

Norse with a delayed Christianization/somewhat different history.

Iroquois and Comanche (I have 'head' tl where defeated Confederate veterans and Comanche confined to the reservation find common ground in dealing with defeat).

Mahayana Buddhism, and the many wild directions it took throughout our timeline's history.

Yes, it's like the fourth most popular religious tradition in the world, but people in the West aren't usually aware of the incredibly complex theological developments that it went through. Its divergences from Tibet to Japan, and all the art and thought it spawned, are just incredible for an outsider to learn about.
Do you have any suggestions on where or how to begin with learning about it?