Europa Universalis IV - 13 August 2013

Oh, and I suppose there is the Merchants randomly changing trade destinations. But again, not game breaking, just annoying.

This shouldnt happen 'randomly' at all. But it does happen if you TAG away from your country and TAG back to it with the console, because the AI instantly reassigns some merchants even if the game is paused.

If you really have 'random' reassignments without console use, please file a bug report with details and a copy of your save if possible.

This shouldnt happen 'randomly' at all. But it does happen if you TAG away from your country and TAG back to it with the console, because the AI instantly reassigns some merchants even if the game is paused.

If you really have 'random' reassignments without console use, please file a bug report with details and a copy of your save if possible.

Upon some peace-deals (perhaps only annexations), merchants steering in nodes with multiple outlets can change direction. That's been reported before a few times.

Upon some peace-deals (perhaps only annexations), merchants steering in nodes with multiple outlets can change direction. That's been reported before a few times.

Trade steering direction, yes, but 'trade destination' was written; perhaps I misunderstood the meaning.

Merchants actively leaving a node on their own and traveling to another without input, is how I understood it. Only seen that happen because of tag switches myself.

Trade steering direction, yes, but 'trade destination' was written; perhaps I misunderstood the meaning.

Merchants actively leaving a node on their own and traveling to another without input, is how I understood it. Only seen that happen because of tag switches myself.

Well, there was one point in my Spain game where the Rush of Merchants modifier expired and the game randomly chose my most important merchant to remove instead of the one the modifier had added.

Yonatan

Banned
you know, I realy like the war demands system. I like that you can demand territory be given to someone else with a claim, or even set up new independant states, cancel alliances etc.

but it still feels like its missing stuff. for example, in my latest game as Aragon, I started a war quickly against the Ottomans, and took a few territories. now, I gave Epirus to Naples, and I returned a few territories to the Byzantines, even though the Byz were not involved in the war. the thing is, I think that the relations bonus is too small. I won a war against their main enemy and gave them a third of the Balkans, wtf just +20 to relations (and it disappears quickly too. ungrateful assholes).
and another thing: if I demand some territory be made independant, why does it not start allied to me, or at least friendly? I gave them their independance for crying out loud!

also, when you sell a province. I wanted the Knights Hospitaller to survive (in every game so far they tend to get wiped out or convert to Orthedox for some odd reason) so I "sold" them Malta for 0 gold. thing is, a territory has to be within range for them to make it a Core, or they wont accept. they accepted Malta, but when I offered them Jameica, it was too far. and they wouldnt accept naval access, because they couldnt afford it. why cant I offer it for free? what decides the value of naval access?

these are relatively small problems that I dont see why they couldnt be solved already. it would save me soooo much trouble if I could just give away useless provinces to factions that are too small to survive on their own or if I dont want to bother dealing with rebellions from uppity natives.

Having just come out of playing a couple hours of EU4 I have to confirm the 'merchants randomly changing targets', this happened three times in my game and not once did I touch trade at all (I more or less ignore it in this game) and I was playing Ironman mode (so no TAG stuff) as well as playing this all straight, no stopping, so it wasn't any reloading saves stuff.

you know, I realy like the war demands system. I like that you can demand territory be given to someone else with a claim, or even set up new independant states, cancel alliances etc.

but it still feels like its missing stuff. for example, in my latest game as Aragon, I started a war quickly against the Ottomans, and took a few territories. now, I gave Epirus to Naples, and I returned a few territories to the Byzantines, even though the Byz were not involved in the war. the thing is, I think that the relations bonus is too small. I won a war against their main enemy and gave them a third of the Balkans, wtf just +20 to relations (and it disappears quickly too. ungrateful assholes).
and another thing: if I demand some territory be made independant, why does it not start allied to me, or at least friendly? I gave them their independance for crying out loud!

also, when you sell a province. I wanted the Knights Hospitaller to survive (in every game so far they tend to get wiped out or convert to Orthedox for some odd reason) so I "sold" them Malta for 0 gold. thing is, a territory has to be within range for them to make it a Core, or they wont accept. they accepted Malta, but when I offered them Jameica, it was too far. and they wouldnt accept naval access, because they couldnt afford it. why cant I offer it for free? what decides the value of naval access?

these are relatively small problems that I dont see why they couldnt be solved already. it would save me soooo much trouble if I could just give away useless provinces to factions that are too small to survive on their own or if I dont want to bother dealing with rebellions from uppity natives.

I agree it should be at least +50 instead of +20.
Well, you do start out guaranteeting them, which makes more sense. Why should they join you in your wars which have nothing to do with them, after all? Think Britain and Belgium.

The AI considers Jamaica to be more of a hassle to them than it's worth. They have no way of reaching it even with naval access, and the combination of fleet basing rights + supporting the colony for years (they won't have any colonists or colonisation ideas) will be a massive money-drain. Basically they're saying, "thank you, but no thank you." Uh, I don't think I've ever seen the AI accept naval access. I suppose it's mostly for multiplayer, since the AI doesn't suffer naval attrition anyway and its attempt to simulate it is spotty at best.

Then find a country with a vested interest in the area you're colonising in, or give it to one of your vassals (which has the added benefit of automatically coring everything when diplo-annexing). In EU3, before the AI learned to use the sell provinces option, it was easy to ruin your uppity allies by giving it land on the other side of the world in a peace deal -- either because it would be extremely rebellious and cost a lot of money to maintain, or because they would march the troops they had used in the war over there (since it's the closest) and find no way home.

Yeah, trade steering.

It's been reported a lot in the bug report forum, I've reported it as well, the biggest thread had some guys do some serious testing and they came up with the following cause/effect:

If you conquer a province/flips/inherits.. okay, if a province owned by a player changes hands or an AI province becomes owned by a player, all your merchants will recalculate their trade steering. They are sure of that.

What they aren't sure of I think, is what direction it chooses to go to and why though it looks like it may just head to the biggest node. But basically all you have to do is after every peace deal, go back and resteer all your merchants.

Double posting but want to keep bug stuff separate from empire stuff:

eu4_map_HAB_1551_11_27_1_zpsa4c9a154.png

The year is 1551. Colonization is just finally starting to happen. I don't know why Portugal didn't do anything, except that I see France nabbed the Azores. Spain until very recently had much, much bigger problems, with at one point they got overrun and half conquered by Granada, and as soon as they bounced back and kicked the Muslims out, Aragon swarmed over the border and split the country in two, and formed an Alliance with Portugal.

I'm Austria. This is supposed to be a pretty laid back game, I'm just trying to become the Holy Roman Empire by enacting all the decisions. And I also wanted to get "The Pen is Mightier than the Sword" achievement that HAB can get. You need 3 Personal Unions at one time. I had Bohemia and Hungary in a PU since basically the beginning of the game. I didn't integrate Bohemia earlier because I didn't know how Elector mechanics worked and whether or not I would get their seat. They inherited on me (and I got the Electorship) about 5 to 10 years ago.

I also have several Electors vassalized to ensure my Emperorship. The other Electors obviously hate me, but as long as it is 4/3 I don't care. The Hapsburg NIs + Diplomacy + Statesman are making for some really fun Diplomatic shenanigans. However, my Diplomacy tech has certainly been gimped as I am often -5 DMP from having too many diplomatic connections.

Currently, my diplomatic relations are: Poland (PU), Lithuania (PU), Hungary (PU), Muscovy (RM, waiting for the chance to claim), Guyenne (Alliance/RM), Spain (Alliance/RM), Portugal (RM), Trier (Elector-Vassal), Cologne (Elector-Vassal), Ulm (Elector-Vassal-RM), Bar (Elector-Vassal-RM), Livonian Order (Vassal), Golden Horde (Guarantee, must have forgotten to revoke this after the last war whoops).

Long term plans are now to conquer Europe completely. Forming HRE will give me Germany, and then I just need to get Guyenne and Spain into a PU. Which is really only a matter of time. If I get Muscovy into a PU I will go after Sweden as well.

England is currently being overrun by Sweden, while Sweden is being overrun by England. Sweden seems to be seiging faster and more successfully, so they will win the race to the capitals. It will be interesting to see if there's an actual peace deal in which provinces change hands or if the AI just going to white peace/release a small unimportant country that gets reannexed by England 10 years later.

Aragon's Italian/Sicilian provinces are occupied by Tuscany, but I don't know if Tuscany can even get to Aragon to force a large favorable peace deal.

Denmark is a OPM, and France has amusingly become landlocked even though it has colonies. Ouch.

Speaking of France, Ironman mode has really made for some fun moments. I misunderstood some game/alliance/coalition mechanics, and ended up in a war with France with about 1,000 manpower left. After some careful positioning and baiting I managed to achieve a significant victory in the mountains of Switzerland, and pressed home my advantage... only to lose 20,000 men when the 40k french men came out of the fog of war two provinces into France and wiped out my units completely. I still had 40k men myself, but I was now just trying not to lose the war completely.

I strategized and moved tactically, every single move I made was tight and had purpose, no sloppy plays, my stacks supported each other and gave up on sieges at the slightest whiff of a doomstack.

And then... I fracking TROUNCED France. Utterly demolished him. I rolled four high rolls in a row with a good general while he rolled 1s and 0s and WIPED OUT A FORTY THOUSAND MAN STACK WITH AROUND FOUR TO ONE CASUALTIES. And by wiped out, I mean in a straight up battle, his 40k men fought, and died, and not at 0 morale, either. I mean the battle was so vicious that they did the instapop thing because their morale went down so fast.

I'll tell you, there was some chest beating and screaming after that battle. I then split my guys into smaller stacks to divide up the portions of France to siege while a 8k man stack with great maneuver General took care of France's troops it built.

I utterly destroyed France so badly that England and Brittany both declared war and didn't even have the money to make any troops. It just sat there, troopless, with 60k manpower while England and Brittany slowly besieged it's provinces. The only reason why England didn't get any provinces is because Milan, yes MILAN, was in a different war with England and came up and unoccupied the occupied French provinces. Now hows THAT for realpolitik. :eek:

EDIT: Okay, so a great chance to go for Muscovy's throne appeared. I claimed it, then declared war. Her only ally was Pskov, and she was out of manpower. Heheheheh, piece of cake.

Until my troops killed the King of Muscovy in battle. And PSKOV GOT THE PU. Which means I could no longer claim Muscovy in a PU, but I could claim Pskov. Since it was a OPM, that war ended quickly, so now I have Pskov in a PU which has Muscovy in a PU. My head hurts.

It would appear my high prestige, relations, and reputation are actually going to end up working against me because there is no way Pskov is going to inherit Muscovy, and I don't know if Pskov will integrate her before I inherit Pskov. It's so tiny. It'll be like a 40% chance to inherit once the 50 years are up...

Last edited:
One of my favorite EU3 events was ported over :D
Word of warning: it's not a good idea to link to images put up on limited-access parts of forums - even assuming that you're okay with only letting people who have EU4 see the image (and you might well be - this is the EU4 thread, after all), it still means that people have to log in to Paradox to see it.

Doesn't work for me, anyway. I'm logged in to the forums and have EU4 registered, still I can't access the image. Which event is it? If you say "Comet Sighted", I'm afraid I'll have to set my pet BBB on you.

I just formed Germany and I am very happy about it. Now I need a new achievement goal that is actually realistic and something I can get.

I was thinking "Sweden is not Overpowered", "All belongs to Mother Russia", or "Azur semé de lis or"

What do you guys suggest I go for?

I just formed Germany and I am very happy about it. Now I need a new achievement goal that is actually realistic and something I can get.

I was thinking "Sweden is not Overpowered", "All belongs to Mother Russia", or "Azur semé de lis or"

Spain is Not the Emperor is a fun one.

How do you get steam to recognize the achievement? I Won a War but it doesn't show?

Finally got to be able to play. Went to my college tech help and they messed with the settings and files to get most of the map to show up, the ocean provinces are still in FOW but now I can see land and play at least.