Europa Universalis IV - 13 August 2013

elkarlo

Banned
Religion works much like in EU3 -- it's easier to convert people now, though, and doesn't rely on chance as much. There is, though, the updated Dei Gratia mod if you want more religion-y stuff.

Slavery work on a nationwide level -- you can ban slavery after 1700, which replaces the trade good of all colonies producing slavery and gives you some other things. At least that's how it worked in EU3.

OK. I kinda like Victoria where you have multiple ethnic and religious groups, unless you messed with them. Wouldike slower conversions and use of % instead of them being assimilated

Dei Gratia is currently being ported to EU4 which will be wonderful.

Hopefully it will be used in MEIOU and Taxes as well again.

As Britain I am trying to have the navy as large as the next 2 combined. This will difficult considering the Ottomans having 147 ships and France having 67 ships and me currently having 92 (soon to be 102). Best start building shipyards and improving me economy then.

Hopefully it will be used in MEIOU and Taxes as well again.

As Britain I am trying to have the navy as large as the next 2 combined. This will difficult considering the Ottomans having 147 ships and France having 67 ships and me currently having 92 (soon to be 102). Best start building shipyards and improving me economy then.

Bah. Just integrate them into your empire, and make their trade come your way.

FCtJ9fA.png

I can't seem to figure out how to do the mapshot you used to be able to do in EU3, the "my territories only" shot...

Well anyways, that's my Spain, circa 1659, shortly after integrating Great Britain into my empire. I also have France and Guyenne as lesser partner in my Greater Western Europe Union.

Poland is currently my ally, as well as Flanders.

Austria has successfully activated the HRE decision that turns all HRE members into their vassal, only megaWurzburg and some OPM declined and fought back. I would like to note that neither of them are present on the map anymore.

I'm currently debating whether or not to integrate France. I've been able to for almost 50 years now, and they are certainly juicy with all the trade income share I could grab... but... you know how many wars I've fought in Europe the last 100 years?

First, define "fought"... Flanders keeps wardeccing to get it's land, and I just follow along as the little OPMs it attacks bring in allies such as Denmark, Sweden, Austria, and a motley crew of HRE members. And then don't give a crap as my giant blue stick whacks everything for me while I run off colonizing Africa and India. :D:D:D

I'm really, really, really annoyed at that "Merchant changes steering direction" bug. They keep not sending it to the Caribbean from the Ivory Coast, and instead sending it straight up to Maurentian, and then the Caribbean merchant suddenly starts sending it up American coast to France's lands.

I can't integrate Guyenne for another 25 years. What I really, really, REALLY want to happen is to have the HRE become one nation. And then either 1, have the greatest fight in the world, or 2, PU them.

...Wait, why can't I do BOTH? Claim the throne, declare war for their throne. :p

EDIT: Wow that map is large. AND WHAT HAPPENED TO CRIMEA IN THE LAST DECADE? OH DEAR GOD THE OTTOMANS HAVE THEIR OWN PRIVATE OCEAN. (minus the annoying Georgia who needs to disappear because that is otherwise to awesome.)

Ok cool.

Also, would love to choose the colonizing styles, ie French, Spanish or English

You can already do that, when you first make an overseas colony you are given an event that determines your colonial policy and you can pick which one you like the best.

I am so pissed right now...
I was playing a game as Brandenburg on what I thought was Ironman mode aiming for the 'Form Germany' and 'Become Holy Roman Emperor while not Austria' achievements. I played for about 5 hours on and off (minimized for AH.com several times) and I left in 1504 after the Protestant reformation started because I figured that would be a good place to let off and I noticed when saving my game that it defaulted to the harddrive, then my heart sank. After I saved the game it showed me my score and on the right in white text underneath a fist covered metal was the word 'no'. That was the best game I have had as Brandenburg too...:(

Long story short I need a new laptop now, it seems to have come down with a rather severe case of 'fist through screen'.

Yonatan

Banned
ok, I finally reached the 1600's as Portugal. I took over half the Aztec empire, and a bit of the Brazillian coast. I also have a few colonies in OTL Indonesia, as well as the island of Ceylone, Madagascar is mine, and I have the Cape colony up and running. Spain has somehow managed to snag the entirety of southern South America, England and France and even the Netherlands are racing to North America and im still trying to learn the ropes in terms of how to use the trade system. I tried placing many colonies but dropping the finance for them so it doesnt kill my economy (better to have lots of colonies building slowly then watch Spain, England and France take them away from me).

can anyone give me any tips on how to manipulate trade to actuly make more then 15-20 profit? I know its possible to get more, a guy on the forums posted a pic where he was making close to 5,000 a month.

basically im currently using 8 merchants to steer trade from India around Africa and to Seville, as well as from Egypt to Seville, and collect money from trade in Seville itself. I also have around a dozen light ships doing trade, but im not sure where I should send them to maximize profits. I have the Exploration and Trade Idea packs maxed out and Stability +3.

can anyone give me any tips on how to manipulate trade to actuly make more then 15-20 profit? I know its possible to get more, a guy on the forums posted a pic where he was making close to 5,000 a month.

I also have around a dozen light ships doing trade, but im not sure where I should send them to maximize profits.

You need hundreds. Just start building. Those merchants you have scattered around? Ceylon -> Gulf of Aden -> Zanzibar -> (Cape) -> Ivory Coast -> Brazil -> Caribbean -> Seville.

There's no need for a merchant in Cape as there's no branches/anyone's capital at that point. Swahili might take your trade at Zanzibar, so either conquer them or get a merchant in there with around 20+ light ships. Then get around 40 light ships in seville, and around 16+ at each possible branch point. Gulf of Aden is the big one, once you get a colony up there to keep your trade ships from dying you can make two trade fleets of around 20 light ships each.

Also, remember you actually have to tell the merchant where to send the trade on the trade map. Make sure the trade is flowing in the right direction. Is the trade not flowing properly? Why not? if the merchant AI is being a dumbass again, tell him to send it the proper direction again. If the AI countries are directing it away or collecting, put more trade ships in the node.

EDIT: And this may be a Captain Obvious moment for some of you, but I finally figured out how to get the special mapshots. F10 on Political Map gives you the regular map.

But if you click the religion mapmode, and hit F10 you get a mapshot of all the religions:

eu4_map_RUS_1555_01_02_2_zps60fb39df.png

Or if you click on Cultural and then hit f10:

eu4_map_RUS_1555_01_02_5_zpsf83a9887.png

Or how about a trade map, just for reference since this thing will never change?

eu4_map_RUS_1555_01_02_3_zps7bf641fb.png

Thank you Paradox, thank you.

Last edited:
That's a bit of a suboptimal set-up, actually. Use the AI and remember: every merchant, whether you or the AI, who steers into your direction increases the trade value in the next mode! Your route should be Nippon -> Hanzhou -> Malacca (fierce competition) -> Bengal -> Ceylon -> Indus -> Gulf of Aden (again, fierce competition) -> Zanzibar -> Cape -> Congo -> Ivory Coast, then either Timbuktu -> Tunis -> Genoa -> Sevilla OR Mauritanian Coast -> Sevilla, depending on what the AI does. Place your merchants in multi-exit nodes (Hanzhou, Ceylon, Gulf of Aden, Ivory Coast) and any additional ones in trade nodes without AI merchants steering towards you. Favour the later ones, as the absolute bonus will be bigger. (If there already are AI merchants steering towards Europe, don't send any merchants if there are still empty nodes -- the first merchant will get a 120% bonus, the second only 106.5% or so.)

By the way, Myrten is up to 8600 monthly trade income ;) He's been very lucky with the AI, though. In my own Spain game, I've got 2500 by now, but I'm still fine-tuning.

That's a bit of a suboptimal set-up, actually. Use the AI and remember: every merchant, whether you or the AI, who steers into your direction increases the trade value in the next mode!

Yeah, well, there aren't really any other European merchants to help me out. :p

But in other news:

eu4_281_zps02879e61.png

GO GRANADA GO! YOU CAN DO IT! :eek:;):D

EDIT: They got everything south of the capital in the peace deal, but when I checked 10 years later they were annexed by Castille. So close.

Last edited:
I tried eu4, but i really didn't like how the smaller nations are gobbled up instead of left alone (impossible to play a handsoff game as Cyprus), the game runs too slowly for my taste, and the height-maps are, well, disgusting. why did they make a height-map, anyway, instead of the DW map, which is far superior?

also, there's way too much ship activity. i realize its to protect trade, but, its annoying.

What the hell is a "height-map"? And the DW map sucked ass compared to this one.

you know what i mean. the maps have all the bumps and stuff to represent hills or mountains. i strongly dislike it. Early Eu3 got that too, i wonder why it wasn't present in Divine wind...

you know what i mean. the maps have all the bumps and stuff to represent hills or mountains. i strongly dislike it. Early Eu3 got that too, i wonder why it wasn't present in Divine wind...

I think it's because they were basing it off Vicky 2 and Clausewitz, whereas this one utilizes Clausewitz 2.5

So how's EU4 going? Major bugs being ironed out?

Honestly, there weren't really any "major" bugs as far as I was label them. (In single player, I mean. Multiplayer had some serious ones I understand, but they have mostly been ironed out according to the latest patch notes.)

The biggest one I have is that sound effects keep dissapearing after a random period. There's a few of us in the bug forum that have reported it, but it is not reproducible (in the sense I can say anything other than "I play for awhile then sound effects go kaput"), nor widespread so it appears it may take them a bit to fix.

Oh, and I suppose there is the Merchants randomly changing trade destinations. But again, not game breaking, just annoying.