Es Geloybte Aretz Continuation Thread

... and patrols to keep the natives from leaving, because otherwise they'd all move to Daressalam?

Ouch. I'm assuming that the settler families won't be welcome to stay after independence.

Neither willing nor welcome. Most native labour on the estates up there is tied through some exotic debt-bondage, but effectively it just means "You can't leave unless I say so." Passbook regimes and such. They don't have a problem with 'rogue' natives leaving, just 'theirs'.

It'll be interesting when their African employees start showing up in Cairo, the west coast of India, and the Trucial States well ahead of OTL's schedule.

Not sure it'd make that much of a difference, but there will be some adjtusting to do.

That would be the train from Kampala to Kisangani, boat down to Brazzaville, train to Point Noir Trans-Congo rail ?

My 1912 school atlas considers the Congo usefully navigable as far as Kasongo, so I figure the initial link would be Kasongo to wherever it meets the Cape-to-Cairo connection, with a spur out to somewhere on Lake Tanganyika, for transshipment to Rufiji. Later, the Germans will build a line north from Rufiji into British Ruanda. Most of the Congo trade is still riverborne, but tying it into an east-west corridor will be hugely beneficial to all parties.

My 1912 school atlas considers the Congo usefully navigable as far as Kasongo ..
You are correct Carlton, but there are rapids south of Kisangani, the Stanley Falls, below which the Lualaba becomes the Congo proper. You would have to portage around them. South of Kasongo are further rapids, beyond that the Kabalo to Albertville connection may be built. Originally, when TTL assigned the Katanga to Britain, I was uncertain how far north Katanga reaches; if the 1960 border is used then there is a gap where Katanga, Burundi, Congo & Tanganyika all border the lake. It might be more useful for the French to head for Kampala, more profitable for the Germans to connect with Northern Rhodesia.

Last edited:
I very much enjoy your updates, but I must say I find it very unlikely that Christianity doesn't end up the majority religion in Tanganyika, even in OTL, where the overwhelming Muslim Zanzibar are and the overwhelming Christian Rwanda-Burundi aren't part of the country, Muslims makes up a third of the population and Christians roughly two thirds of the population. The Christians are mostly Catholics and Lutherans two sects connected to the German colonization not the British one. European settlement didn't effect the spread of Christianity negative, neither did colonial atrocities. Lutheranism also focused on spreading the languages in local languages. We can see the success of the Lutheran mission in both Ethiopia and Indonesia (both countries without Lutherans in charge), but also in Namibia (which was run by Germans). Islam on the other hand are still connected to the Swahili identity and in the living memory of much of the inland population slave raiding and the slave trade.

Also native Black Europeanized population and native colonial era bureaucrats wasn't expelled either after independence. I don't see why the German colonies should be different.

The Rufiji and Kilimanjaro area, though - that'll be a big headache come time. Pretty whitewashed villages, neo-Renaissance Lutheran churches, decorative fountains and whipping posts in the village square...
It is unlikely to turn out this way, but I would be overjoyed to see these settlements slowly deteriorate into labor-poor backwaters from which the grandsons of the would-be lords wander into DS hoping to parlay their German into something profitable....

It is unlikely to turn out this way, but I would be overjoyed to see these settlements slowly deteriorate into labor-poor backwaters from which the grandsons of the would-be lords wander into DS hoping to parlay their German into something profitable....

Or better yet, when they get to Dar, they find that they need to take Suaheli classes in order to be marketable.

Solf’s immediate successor Walter von St Paul-Illaire
... upon forced retirement authored twelve children's books about The Adventures of Violet Usambara, a resourceful girl from the highlands. Translated into Clear Line from 1929 onward and much beloved by school children all over the continent, she became the unofficial personification of Tanganyika and proved instrumental in the campaign to abandon FGM by 1980.

The depiction of her Fox Terrier "William" remains controversial.

You are correct Carlton, but there are rapids south of Kisangani, the Stanley Falls, below which the Lualaba becomes the Congo proper. You would have to portage around them. South of Kasongo are further rapids, beyond that the Kabalo to Albertville connection may be built. Originally, when TTL assigned the Katanga to Britain, I was uncertain how far north Katanga reaches; if the 1960 border is used then there is a gap where Katanga, Burundi, Congo & Tanganyika all border the lake. It might be more useful for the French to head for Kampala, more profitable for the Germans to connect with Northern Rhodesia.

The British slice of the Congo gives them the western shore of Lake Tanganyika. That was the point of the agreement - the French get control of the Congo River, but the British get to build their Cape-to-Cairo railway. As to the river - it looks like it makes more sense for the French to build north from Stanleyville. But the Germans ITTL already have a railway all the way from Daressalam to Ujiji, they will build an extension north into now British Burundi.

I very much enjoy your updates, but I must say I find it very unlikely that Christianity doesn't end up the majority religion in Tanganyika, even in OTL, where the overwhelming Muslim Zanzibar are and the overwhelming Christian Rwanda-Burundi aren't part of the country, Muslims makes up a third of the population and Christians roughly two thirds of the population. The Christians are mostly Catholics and Lutherans two sects connected to the German colonization not the British one. European settlement didn't effect the spread of Christianity negative, neither did colonial atrocities. Lutheranism also focused on spreading the languages in local languages. We can see the success of the Lutheran mission in both Ethiopia and Indonesia (both countries without Lutherans in charge), but also in Namibia (which was run by Germans). Islam on the other hand are still connected to the Swahili identity and in the living memory of much of the inland population slave raiding and the slave trade.

Hmmm. I will have to look into that some more. Having read that the missionary success was mostly a produict of the mid-twentieth century, I assumed that less funding and support would have a more significant impact.

Also native Black Europeanized population and native colonial era bureaucrats wasn't expelled either after independence. I don't see why the German colonies should be different.

I phrased that badly. It's not that they would be expelled, in their great majority. Not even the German settlers are expelled in their entirety (the treaties see to that). But unlike in many other African countries post-independence, they are not included in the new ruling elite automatically, and many fear their compatriots' resentment.

Does not sound like good prospects for Namibia

No. Not really.

What happen to Bagdadbahn? Is there any attempt to expand it to Basra and connect it with Hejaz rail? Will we see something like Berlin-Cape railway?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Ferdan_Railway_Bridge
It was completed at 1918 and with swivel bridge design would allow trains to cross suez without hindering ships passage

The Baghdad railway will be completed. The German consortium can negotiate a deal under which instead of signing capital in specie, they contribute material and skills at agreed rates, and while the project is challenging, it's one of the things the war actually helped with. Lots of German railway engineers have experience dealing with exotic problems creatively. Future expansion plans include Damascus-Suez, the Hejaz to Mecca, and links to both Basra and Tehran. Suez will take longer because the British are ambivalent about the idea, but it makes too much economic sense not to be done eventually.

It makes too much economic sense not to be done eventually.
I love Paul Theroux as much as the next masochist / misanthrope but I think we are taken in by the romance of the railroad.

The most economic mode of transport will always be to use shipping as much as possible. So the path to travel from Berlin to the Cape will be the port of Hamburg, not a narrow gauge zigzagging through the Cilician Gates.

Last edited:
Perhaps, but maximizing overland transportation also makes sense. No point in shipping everything through Suez at British mercy if you can drop it at Hejaz and send to Aleppo to ship to Hamburg.

Roon

Banned
I just remembered an interesting map about the possibility of countries like UK, France and Dutch trying to expand the rail network all the way to Singapore to connect with their colonies (not actual map made by them only to give some ideas). This won't eliminate the use of freight ships and later container ships but will result in less bottleneck in shipping ports

Attachments

• Trans-Asia-Railway-Network.jpg
    Trans-Asia-Railway-Network.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 535
If Suez doesn’t work out they can always just expand a port on the Arabian coast (maybe at Yanbu?) as a branch off the Mecca extension.

I love Paul Theroux as much as the next masochist / misanthrope but I think we are taken in by the romance of the railroad.

The most economic mode of transport will always be to use shipping as much as possible. So the path to travel from Berlin to the Cape will be the port of Hamburg, not a narrow gauge zigzagging through the Cilician Gates.

I wasn't thinking Germany to South Africa, I was thinking Syria to Egypt and Arabia. Especially Syria and Palestine are much better off not having to bring everything to their ports for shipment to Alexandria, and some Egyptian producers may equally benefit from not being tied to Alexandrian shippers exclusively.

The British concern is strategic more than commercial. As far as they are concerned, a railway leading to Suez must be in their hands, never that of a potential enemy. THe canal is too valuable to put at risk like that.

Südwest – Uneasy Bedfellows

Deutsch-Südwestafrika, the colony that had engendered the greatest hopes in Berlin and swallowed up the greatest share of expenditure, would eventually become Germany’s greatest colonial failure. Initially, there was every reason to be hopeful: The native population took to Christianity and the new economic system introduced by the Europeans well, and the rich mineral deposits – initially copper, later diamonds, then zinc, uranium and gold – promised budgetary bliss. It was not to be.

The colony’s history was characterised by wars from the start, with German governors either haplessly fanning or cunningly exploiting the conflict between the Herero and Nama. After decades trying to play the sides off each other and the disaster of the rinderpest decimating both sides, the Windhuk government under Leutwein decided to cast its lot with the Herero whose chief Heinrich Maherero promised auxiliary troops against rebellious Nama. The end of the Nama War coincided with the discovery of diamonds in the Lüderitz area and the expulsion of the Nama, thousands of whom died en route to Cape Colony. This crime opened large territories south of Windhoek to German settlers whose descendants still comprise a significant share of the country’s population.

After the conclusion of the Nama Wars and the stabilisation of the diamond mining system under the Mineralgesellschaft monopsony, the colony saw a period of relative stability and economic growth that is often cited as evidence of Germany’s enlightened and fruitful colonial policy. In fact, the policies of the 1910s were mainly the result of fiscal constraints, leaving the colonial government little option but to work with what they had on the ground with little hope for reinforcements or investment from the motherland. Südwest, unlike other colonies, did not lack for money thanks to its diamond exports, but its Schutztruppe contingent was small and infrastructure investments that would prepare the ground for German settlements outside the central highlands came slowly. As a result, Windhuk had to depend on its alliance with the Herero for auxiliary forces and recruits for its native police to secure the diamond fields and enforce resettlements. By 1921, when the new governor Franz von Bernstorf announced his scheme to reform the country along racial lines, the Herero had become influential enough to be granted effective internal self-government and a significant voice in the affairs of the colony. The system of ‘dyarchy’ in Südwest depended on the economic success of the Herero as market-oriented cattle and sheep ranchers and on their internal discipline. No Herero were permitted to work the diamond fields. Anyone who did would be expelled from the nation. Young men were instead encouraged to enlist in the police and native Schutztruppe cavalry. Having embraced Christianity and literacy, the tribe was able to develop a functioning administrative system under the long tenure of its chiefs Heinrich and Friedrich Maherero. The good personal relations they maintained in Berlin ensured a powerful lobby insulated them against encroachment from white settlers.

The government reform of 1921 was initially welcomed by many natives, especially those who, unlike the Ovambo and Herero, lived without the benefit of recognised traditional institutions under direct German government. This turned out to be a misjudgement. Though greater local self-government should have benefited tribal communities along with settlers, German administrators widely appointed pliant chiefs who signed off on discriminatory laws and exploitative practices. The fate of mixed-race individuals left outside the new system was especially tragic. Those ‘bastards’ who were not able to obtain certificates of citizenship were effectively left without recourse or support. This experience may have been as effective as the plethora of local ordinances forbidding miscegenation and social mixing of races in deterring interracial relationships which were never banned under German civil law.

In the following decades, the economic bounty of the colony’s mineral wealth continued to benefit mainly the German settler communities. Windhuk and Swakopmund were turned into modern cities, their living quarters designated by tribal affiliation and widely diverging in public amenities. Railways, metalled roads and irrigation schemes hardened and widened the control the by now roughly 40,000 German settlers exercised over the country. Increasing employment opportunities mainly accrued to the favoured Herero, while the Rehobother, migrant Ovambo, and especially the officially unrecognised Nama remained an underclass. This increased tensions as younger natives, often graduates of church or mission schools and fluent in German, were denied the opportunities they felt they deserved. These came to a first flashpoint after heavy investment in uranium mining turned out a failure. The ores of Südwest, though copious and later a significant source for Germany’s nuclear industry, were less concentrated and less available than those of the newly discovered, vast deposits in the Siebengebirge and Vogtland. The resulting debt was shouldered by the colonial government, effectively rescuing the solvency of white investors at the expense of a largely black taxpaying public.

A railway leading to Suez must be in British hands, never that of a potential enemy. The canal is too valuable to put at risk like that.
T.E. Chapman, The Seven Pillows of Wisdom, London 1926 [post canon]
All men dream: but nor equally, Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

At that time a senior naval person concerned about the German designs on Suez approached me. He asked me to use my influence with the Palestine Exploration Foundation stemming from my work on The Wilderness of Zin to propose a major investment in Gaza port facilities.

This I did. I meant to make a new nation, to restore! a lost influence, to give twenty millions of Semites the foundations on which to build an inspired dream-palace of their national thoughts. So high an aim called out the inherent nobility of their minds, and made them play a generous part in events: but when we won, it was charged against me that the British petrol royalties in Mesopotamia were become dubious, and French Colonial policy ruined in the Levant.

Hmmm. I will have to look into that some more. Having read that the missionary success was mostly a produict of the mid-twentieth century, I assumed that less funding and support would have a more significant impact..

I don't think we will see less funding, OTL post-German Empire funding mostly came from non-German Lutheran states, these will still use money on missionering and a German not suffering from OTL post-War slump will still have private missioneiring societies seekling converts in Tanganyika. As for Islam why I can see the benefits to people in Dar Es Saalam to convert, but for a inland farmer there's almost no benefits. This is why the spread of Islam in Africa after 1878 was mostly among tribal groups, which already had significant Islamic influence. The Hausa and other Sahel people are very good example of this spread. But animist group without Islamic elites mostly converted to Christianity even in colonies, where Muslim groups was favoured over Christians (like Nigeria).

This doesn't mean that I can't see Islam do better in the colony, in fact I have had a few brainstorming ideas, which includes that.

physical-map-of-tanzania.jpg

A way to develop Tanganyika could be plantage in the relative thinly populated southern lowland. Here the German could import workers/indentured servants from India and Indonesia, these workers could make up a significant minority of the popoulation of this area, in similar manner to the Indians of Natal, this could lead to Islam spreading among their neighbours, as there's suddenly a benefit to convert to Islam with lot of Muslim neighbours. I could see "Asians/Indians" make up 2-4% of the poipulation by mordern time.

I could see a religious split with the coast and southern low land being Muslim and the interior being Christian. We will likely see a similar split in lingua franca beetween Swahili and German

Tanzania_ClimateZones.png

Other brainstorimng ideas I have had, are that White settlers will be split in three groups.

"The opportunistic adventurer": Germans and other Europeans who are in East Africa to get rich, but doesn't plan to stay there. They mostly live on the coast among the natives as merchants, soldiers or experts. These will likely leave little trace, some may convert to Islam for opportunistic reasons.

"The Wannabe Junker": These people try to set up large estates, which are worked by native and imported labour, these live in densely populated areas away from the coast.

"The German Boer": These are people moving to East Africa to set up farming communities, these mostly live as ranchers in the orange areas on the map. The often have some natives farmhands and servants, but all in all their commuinities are usual 1/3-1/2 White (this follow the pattern of Namibia), and in some provinces of German East Africa they will make up the same precent of the population. The natives living among them will usual have adopted German culture, language and religion.

Other ideas:

the Europeanised natives will be pretty heterodox. In general it will be people who have lost their connection with their trabal background. Some like the farmhands and servants living among the Germans, because they intermarry across tribal lines, and have adopted German mores, other because they're unwelcome among their communites, because they serve as German soldiers, which leave them little choice to intermarry among each other or with other Europeanised natives or biracials and leaviong their children little choice but continuing in German service. At last people who have taken a tertiary European education, among the last group we will often see those who have embraced a pan-African ideology and pushing for independence.

At last with a Zanzibar not part of the mianland, this could very very well turn into a African Singapore.