Es Geloybte Aretz Continuation Thread

If you want Europe in Africa to survive, prevent race from becoming an issue in the first place. The South African Union must not be allowed to form. She invalidates the Cape Cairo railroad.

I did not quote the Gandhi editorial for nothing: if Canada was won in Silesia, India was lost in the Transvaal.

If you want Europe in Africa to survive, prevent race from becoming an issue in the first place. The South African Union must not be allowed to form. She invalidates the Cape Cairo railroad.

I did not quote the Gandhi editorial for nothing: if Canada was won in Silesia, India was lost in the Transvaal.

Honestly, I think this ship sailed long before the formation of the SAU. More like, "before the POD"

How are the economists trying to explain this? Will there be a Great Depression ITTL, now that Germany seems to be paving the way for fiat currency earlier than RL?

Depends on which economists. ITTL, the Anglosphere is dominated by what we would call Neoclassical economists who basically keep saying "exceptionasl circumstances are allowing this unsustainable structure to continue as of yet". The idea they are developing is basically that the German state is able to force acceptance of its currency through strong institutions and military dominance (one reason so many people from there imagine Wilhelmione Germany as an oppressive place). Meanwhile, the Germans have their own economic school, the Historische Schule, and as far as they are concerned it makes perfect sense. Money is whatever the government says is money. Their focus (and therefore that of the German government) is on public trust. As long as people will believe the money they receive is going to be accepted for all public dues and taxes, they will consider it valuable. This is the one compact that the state must not break.

I don't think we will see less funding, OTL post-German Empire funding mostly came from non-German Lutheran states, these will still use money on missionering and a German not suffering from OTL post-War slump will still have private missioneiring societies seekling converts in Tanganyika. As for Islam why I can see the benefits to people in Dar Es Saalam to convert, but for a inland farmer there's almost no benefits. This is why the spread of Islam in Africa after 1878 was mostly among tribal groups, which already had significant Islamic influence. The Hausa and other Sahel people are very good example of this spread. But animist group without Islamic elites mostly converted to Christianity even in colonies, where Muslim groups was favoured over Christians (like Nigeria).

At last with a Zanzibar not part of the mianland, this could very very well turn into a African Singapore.

That is - awesome. Can I make it canon? Much better and more plausible than what I had in mind.

I would think the Joachimsthal Uranium would be available to Germany ?

Yes, but that will not matter for some time. The uranium deposits in Joachimsthal are huge, but not very good: the uranium content is low, the location somewhat awkward. When the colonial governmentb invests in the mine, the expectation is that Germany, a leading nation in atomic research, should be independent of foreign suppliers even for its rising needs. At that point, the expectation is that the country will want a few hundred kilograms of the stuff a year. That is more than they are getting out of the pitchblende from Thuringia, and it's very expensive, sort of like gold or platinum mining.

At that point, the German government's crash programme discovers the uranium deposits in the Siebengebirge, which are among the world's most accessible and best quality, and right in the stomping ground of the world's most developed mining and chemical industry (it's one of those things you'd call ASB if I'd invested it - one reason the Soviets were able to rev up their nuclear programme so fast IOTL). Joachimsthal is immediately uncompetitive and will remain so until the 1960s, when nuclear power and a global arms race create demand for industrial quantities of uranium. Now, the domestic deposits are too small, and Südwest becomes a key element of Germany's nuclkear industry. But that is two decades too late for the investors.

If the settlers really want to stay in Africa, they might just keep some small/best areas in the colonies (independence in independence short of).
View attachment 408561
Potential white settlement areas in africa from
https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ntial-for-more-white-settlement.247941/page-2

I don't think that is feasible because it presupposes the idea that the colonial powers will leave Africa at some point. It might work, but it isn't the future they have in mind for the continent and thus not something they would do. There will be white settler areas ITTL, more so than IOTL, but not created as post-independence states by design

I don't think that is plausible with TTL being about as racist as OTL. If you'd suggest Apartheid as a policy to just about anyone in colonial government, they'd have all kinds of practical objections (it's expensive and complicated), but no problem with the idea as such.

At that point, the German government's crash programme discovers the uranium deposits in the Siebengebirge, which are among the world's most accessible and best quality, and right in the stomping ground of the world's most developed mining and chemical industry (it's one of those things you'd call ASB if I'd invested it - one reason the Soviets were able to rev up their nuclear programme so fast IOTL).
A typo I think: the NKVD exploited Vogtland which lies north of Bohemia; the Siebengebirge is in the Rhineland; for the discovery of its Uranium Spiegel 34/1956 credits Franz Josef Strauß.

Edit: Mea Culpa. I see you refer to your prior paragraph.

Last edited:
That is - awesome. Can I make it canon? Much better and more plausible than what I had in mind.

Feel free to take the elements, which can be used from my post, it was pretty much a brain storm ideas about that aspect of your timeline, I had while working on the house Saturday.

Also two interesting Lutheran mission to use as inspiration are the Bataak people in Indonesia (who was converted by a missionary from Schleswig, and who today have a the same size as the Danish Lutheran Church) and the spread of Lutheranism in Ethiopia which will be home to the biggest Lutheran population in the world in a few years.

Roon

Banned
I can see that German will be official language in Südwest. But what about Kamerun and Ostafrika?

I can see that German will be official language in Südwest. But what about Kamerun and Ostafrika?
No clue about Kamerun, but Suahili is going to be at least a co-official working language in Ostafrika like Persian and Hindustani was in the Raj.

Radio Tashauz, Armenia in Asia, 1964, [post canon]
Q:
Will Suahili incorporate some German words into the language like it did with Portuguese and English words?​
A:
In principle, yes. But Germany will have to incorporate some Swahili in return.​

For German low-hanging fruit in Korean arbeit is a part-time job and hof is a pub (usually with shitty draft beer and fried chicken).

Probably German in Kamerun, because it's the only language everyone has in common and none of the regional languages have the prestige that Suaheli does in Ostafrika. The wild card would be the development of a regional German pidgin like Unserdeutsch which might then play the role that Lingala does in the western Congo basin IOTL.

Probably German in Kamerun, because it's the only language everyone has in common and none of the regional languages have the prestige that Suaheli does in Ostafrika. The wild card would be the development of a regional German pidgin like Unserdeutsch which might then play the role that Lingala does in the western Congo basin IOTL.

The problem in Ostafrica is that the inland population centers south of Lake Victoria and along the border to Belgian Congo are pretty disconnected from the coast and the colder and less humid climate there will make it the center of the German population. Which is why I suggested a split between the coast and southern lowland mostly using Swahili as Lingua Franca and the inland highlands mostly using German as Lingua Franca.

As for German influence on Swahili I could see a mix of German word being borrowed for new concepts, but also new Swahili word being created from translated composed words from German.

The problem in Ostafrica is that the inland population centers south of Lake Victoria and along the border to Belgian Congo are pretty disconnected from the coast and the colder and less humid climate there will make it the center of the German population. Which is why I suggested a split between the coast and southern lowland mostly using Swahili as Lingua Franca and the inland highlands mostly using German as Lingua Franca.

Those regions are Swahili-speaking IOTL, though - the 19th-century Arab slaver/traders spread the language all the way to the eastern DRC (one way to draw the dividing line between the western and eastern Congo basin is in fact whether the lingua franca is Lingala or Swahili). Swahili is going to be the natural language of commerce even in the western parts of the colony. I expect that regional dialects will pick up quite a bit of German though.

Those regions are Swahili-speaking IOTL, though - the 19th-century Arab slaver/traders spread the language all the way to the eastern DRC (one way to draw the dividing line between the western and eastern Congo basin is in fact whether the lingua franca is Lingala or Swahili). Swahili is going to be the natural language of commerce even in the western parts of the colony. I expect that regional dialects will pick up quite a bit of German though.

In that case you're right Swahili will be the Lingua Franca of the entire colony.

A way to develop Tanganyika could be plantations in the relative thinly populated southern lowland.
I feel there is a reason why lowlands are under-populated and it may well be Malaria.

So, I humbly re-submit my request for a Central American chapter: Oh, wie schön ist Panama ?

I'm actually quite curious as to how the British Empire and Commonwealth evolved, when it appears to have not suffered through any Great War.