Es Geloybte Aretz - a Germanwank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, come back. We got the Berlin gay scene today!

I'm back, and that was certainly one fabulous update!

On a more serious note, is the professionalism of the Prussian army about to be questioned in the eyes of the world? I could see it happening if the officer in question puts up a fight when he is asked to resign and goes to the newspapers.

just thinking, in the case of french development maybe we could see an appearance of Mata Hari (this time with a better ending for her)?

On a more serious note, is the professionalism of the Prussian army about to be questioned in the eyes of the world? I could see it happening if the officer in question puts up a fight when he is asked to resign and goes to the newspapers.

of course when these things happen too often, it will become very obvious to even the most stupid observer that something fishy is going on.
A general defence could that it is slander spread by another country to tarnish Germany and its institutions.

just thinking if this gets connected to what happened to von eulenberg, and whoever gets caught for it is in deep problems.
Especially if its some french secret agent or the russian okhrana.

Last edited:
well the germans are already pissed about what happened to that ship with food that was attacked by the russians.
If the okhrana gets connected to the case that drove Chancellor zu Eulenburg to suicide, things will get nasty. yet another potential casus belli.

Might this be a good time to quietly fund a German archaeological expedition to Sparta, as a way of muddying the waters a bit? After all, gays in the military do have a rather long history, and if somebody tries to claim that gay men were why Sparta fell it can be easily be countered by saying that "no, an unhappy slave population was why Sparta fell".

Which can in turn be used as an argument against any crazy Prussian ideas of territorial conquest in Russia, aside perhaps for Kurland.

That is very, very clever. Probably too clever for any real government of the time, but using aspects of it is certainly a smart thing to do. Especially the part about Sparta and the Sacred Band. It wouldn't even need an excavation, Germany has enough classicists, and Hirschfeld's club already is playing up the Greek civilisation angle.

I'm back, and that was certainly one fabulous update!

It would pretty much be a replay of OTL's Harden-Eulenburg affair where Kuno von Moltke did exactly that. It got great play in the French and British press and cost Hohenau, Lynar, and Moltke their jobs. Very damaging, unless it can be contained. Germany's satirical papers back in OTL's 1908 were full of jokes about Guards officers wearing rouge and young cuirassiers meeting sugar daddies, and at one point the corps command forbade cavalrymen walking out at night in white trousers (i.e. Parade- or Dienstanzug, limiting them to fatigues which were deemed less attractive to lurking perverts).

It was unbelievably embarrassing, and huge fun, but it also led to a countrywide crackdown on the homosexual scene and the destruction of the budding movement for a repeal of Article 175 and almost destroyed Magnus Hirschfeld.

just thinking if this gets connected to what happened to von eulenberg, and whoever gets caught for it is in deep problems.
Especially if its some french secret agent or the russian okhrana.

That would be horrible for the Russians. Luckily, it's not. It's Count Schulenburg, an angry man who lost his career in the foreign service through a trial for homosexual offenses and is out for revenge. IOTL he played an important role in damaging Eulenburg and Hohenau leaking information through his contacts with an Altona-based gay activist. IATL, he contacted Hugenberg and the völkisch-conservative press.

As General von der Goltz would say: "You have my attention." All of this is a distraction and a damaging drag on Germany's government now, but it will become very important shaping the political landscape in the aftermath of the war.

12 February 1906, Moscow

Admiral Nebogatov was surprised at the sight of his emperor. Nicholas II seemed diminished, shrunken by the strain of the last year. Times had been hard on everyone, but the contrast to their last encounter still came as a shock. Back then, when Nebogatov had been appointed to command the Kronstadt defenses, the Czar had looked lively and energetic. Now, his face was pale and the body listless. His voice was weighed down with bitterness. The admiral was worried. He hoped it would not show as he entered the room of the war council.

The introductions went quickly. Alongside Nicholas II and his commanding officer Rosjestvensky, Nebogatov was facing Dr Dubrovin, Governor Trepov and Grand Prince Nikolai. He saluted crisply and waited for the questions. Nicholas began: “Admiral, your superior has spoken highly of you. He has praised your tactical abilities and initiative. These are qualities we look for in naval leaders, and I can extend high hopes for the advancement of anyone who has audace and fortune. Today, I want you to tell me how you qwoulöd go about fighting the German navy, Admiral Nebogatov. I know you are an honest and brave Russian man. Do not be afraid to tell me the truth.”

Nebogatov stiffened. An invitation to be honest rarely was extended in earnest. Still, he decided to venture his opinion. “Your Majesty, I would prefer not to.”, he began. There was a sharp intake of breath. Dr Dubrovin looked up from his papers, ready to skewer him with his looks.

“You would not?” His voice was deceptively mild. Nebogatov wondered whether he hjad gone too gfar when Grand Prince Nikolai raised his hand and addressed the councillor: “Dr Dubrovin, please. The courage of Admiral Nebogatov has been proven to the extent it cannot be called into question.”

The rebuke stung. Dubrovin lowered his eyes and pretended to peruse the documents in front of him. If half of what you heard was true, he would be furious. Nebogatov risked a grateful glance at the Grand Prince before continuing his presentation.

“Your Majesty, I do not think it is a secret that the German navy is a dangerous and powerful adversary. It is the naturew of naval warfare in this day and age that its success depends on ships that are expensive and difficult to replace if lost. Thus, audacity on land may be forgiven if the risk is to regiments or brigades easily replaced in the coming year, but an admiral must shepherd his vessels carefully, always calculating their danger against the potential gain. It is not an easy position for a man of honour to be placed in. Facing the German navy, the risk of losing the fleet is great, and thus the demand to balance honour and prudence burdensome.”

Nicholas nodded understanding. So far, so good.

“That said, I do believe it is possible to fight the Germans successfully at sea. I have discussed the matter with several talented officers and we have developed ideas in this direction. If you would permit...”

There was a map, of course. There were diagrams detailing fleet strengths. You could never be sure how much information people had. The bare numbers looked encouraging, the opponents roughly equally matched. Nicholas's eyes lit up as he surveyed the sites of future battles unfolding in his mind.

“Tell me, Admiral; what makes the Germans so formidable, in your mind?”he asked.

Nebogatov cleared his throat nervously. “Their training, Sire.” he said. “The ships the Germnans deploy against us are good, but I do not think they are greatly superior. Some of our vessels are newer than theirs, and just as our Baltic fleet, their navy contains coastal ironclads that swell their numbers on paper, but cannot stand in the battle line with modern ships. However, I have seen their fleet operate in maneuvers, and what makes them dangerous is the level of their training. Their maneuvering is fast and accurate. German officers are trained to carry out standard tactical evolutions at different positions in battle formation much more thoroughly than us. Granted, they are less seamen than the British, but their gunnery is extremely fast and accurate. That is why the risk of massed fleet action against them is too great to contemplate.”

No storm of protest rose. The admiral continued, enncouraged by the response.

“As the unfortunate events in the Far East have shown, it is possible for even an inferior fleet to attrite the strength of a superior one. Numerically, the exercise is straightforward. At one point, the size of a fleet will become completely decisive. Until then, large fleet engagements must be avoided and auxiiliary weapons and small unit operations be applied to destroy enemy units singly, wherever possible. The Japanese did this very effectively. It is, of course, possible for the enemy to force an engagemennt by moving the fleet to our shores, but this could take place in our waters and, to a degree, on our terms. The strategy is sound, in any event. This is what I propose.”

He rolled up the map and returned it to its case. “Also, we must consider the nature of our enemy. The Japanese are treacherous, but brave. Defeating them would have required calling their bluff with a combined fleet action forcing losses on them.”

“From which we were prevented!” Nicholas pointed out bitterly. The humiliation of Vigo rankled.

“Indeed, Sire. The Germans, though, are an open and honourable foe, reliant on training and routine to unfold their full potential. Meeting them in open battle plays to their strengths. Even if we suffered comparable losses, the balance would favour them: German shipyards can replace their vessels faster than ours can. But the mental habit of training for designated scenarios is also their greatest weakness. Germans do not react well to the unexpected. The way to victory lies in striking unexpectedly, keeping them off-balance. If we can force them into a defensive stance, we can choose when and where to strike for maximal effect. The blows must be quick, hard, and surprising. The shock and humiliation will do their part in softening up the enemy. If we can achieve this, we will also demonstrate to potential allies the weakness of Germany and draw them into the war on our side.”

Nikolai nodded quietly. “You expect to be joined by the French fleet?”

Nebogatov affirmed: “Yes, Your Highness. I hope it. It will be possible for us to fight such a campaign alone, given audacity and a certain amount of luck, for a time. In the long run, though, a battle will be forced. We may win it – if the campaign is successful, we will win it. But with the French at our side, we can inflict more than moral damage. Their ships would allow a real blockade of Germany's coasts, crippling her trade and striking her port cities, even landing troops.”

“A seaborne invasion?” Trepov seemed genuinely fascinated by the thought. Nebogatov quickly stepped up to disabuse him of the nortion. “Excellency, these attacks can be no more than raids. In the long run, though, it will have to be the army that forces a decision. Germany is not vulnerable enough to naval threats, nor can we hope to permanently destroy her capacity to build and man warships. This, Sire, is the option for victory that I can give you. I believe it is possible.”

Nicholas smiled. His expression was almost dreamy. Dubrovin looked wolfish. “I am sorry, Admiral.” the civilian said. “I misjudged you earlier. Please accept my apologies. Now, will you be able to explain to us the plans you and your officers have developed?”

Nebogatov obediently unrolled the second map he had brought.

Fascinating stuff. Reading this update is like looking through a window into the Russians' heads.

I presume the Russians are going to get curbstomped at sea too?

Given how Tsushima turned out, I don't want to imagine what the Germans would do to the Russians in a straight fleet battle, even with French aid.

Eurofed

Banned
Given how Tsushima turned out, I don't want to imagine what the Germans would do to the Russians in a straight fleet battle, even with French aid.

Of course, the French would then have much bigger concerns of their own, dealing with Anglo-German-Italian blockade and coastal raiding. :rolleyes:

:) Man got it. It's a knife-edge thing, but French neutrality is a distinct possibility.

It is, of course, your TL, but I'm pretty sure that given earlier statements that any war will be longer and bloodier than either Germany or Russia thinks, it is almost inevitable that France is dragged into the conflict at some point, as

• The French papers are going to be filled with tales of (real or invented) atrocities on the Eastern Front once the war gets underway; two or more years of this will inculcate a willingnes to go to war in the French populace.
  • The mobilizations / counter-mobilizations on the French boarders will make their own contributions towards war
  • There is a not inconsiderable potential for an alt-Lusitania, with a French vessel taking the place of an American one.
  • The French will not look kindly on their principal ally going down to defeat, especially with Alsace-Lorraine still in German hands; if Russia is defeated, the potential for getting A-L back in the forseeable future is, from a French point-of-view, almost completely eliminated.
Given these, I can see, if not an immediate French entry, then one about a year into the conflict, especially if it can coincide with a Russian battle victory.

But, again, it is your TL.

TB-EI

"Germans do not react well to the unexpected"? Now that's a wrong assessment if I ever read one. As I have stated repeatedly, the Prussian way of military leadership stressed individual initiative and tactical flexibility to an, especially for that time, extreme degree, and ESPECIALLY compared to the Russians.

I think that the Russian Navy is going to get its butt handed to it.

Last edited:
It is, of course, your TL, but I'm pretty sure that given earlier statements that any war will be longer and bloodier than either Germany or Russia thinks, it is almost inevitable that France is dragged into the conflict at some point, as

• The French papers are going to be filled with tales of (real or invented) atrocities on the Eastern Front once the war gets underway; two or more years of this will inculcate a willingnes to go to war in the French populace.
  • The mobilizations / counter-mobilizations on the French boarders will make their own contributions towards war
  • There is a not inconsiderable potential for an alt-Lusitania, with a French vessel taking the place of an American one.
  • The French will not look kindly on their principal ally going down to defeat, especially with Alsace-Lorraine still in German hands; if Russia is defeated, the potential for getting A-L back in the forseeable future is, from a French point-of-view, almost completely eliminated.
Given these, I can see, if not an immediate French entry, then one about a year into the conflict, especially if it can coincide with a Russian battle victory.

But, again, it is your TL.

TB-EI

It's always difficult to see how alliance play out once war is declared. However, I think that if France stays out of the war they won't join lateron because the Russian situation will be very bleak.

It seems that Russia is about to attack. That means in turn that AH is on the German side. Plus free Poland and Finland. Possibly also the Ottomans, the Romanians and some Nordic involvement because of the Finns. All that against a Russia that we know was rather weak 10 years later IOTL and that will be a lot weaker and even more poorly led ITTL.

That's a very bad situation to join on the Russian side - even if Russia is the only ally available. French lived in that situation previously.

The decision will be made in Britain, though. France will not join a war against Germany and Britain IMHO. If they wait, I guess Britain will one way or the other make clear to them that neutrality is their best option.

abc123

Banned
Wait, Russia want's to invade GERMANY amid revolution rampaging the country and with Poland independent?
:confused::eek::rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.