England Expects that Every Man....

England Expects Ch 4 - 6
CHAPTER 4 Part 6 – England Expects that Every Man....

SIX

They were aboard Iron Duke, Admiral Evan Thomas having just been delivered by a boat from the Signal School and shown below.

“Hugh! Welcome. I just heard that you are off to meet with that trio up from London, so I'll be brief and give you the high points of what we have here.”

“Thank you, Gordon. I've been interested since the moment Jellicoe told me what he asked you to do.”

“Let me introduce Lieutenant Commander Torrance-Smythe as my new Staff Officer, and 2IC.”

“How do you do, sir.”

Evan Thomas held out his hand. “Don't they call you 'Smithy'? Didn't we serve together when you were a Mid?”

“Yes, sir. I'm flattered that you remember me, sir.”

“Gordon, young Smithy here was not only the sharpest spratt in the gunroom, he was the one considered most likely to be court-martialed for being too smart and asking too many impertinent questions. If you find he doesn't fit here, I'll take him.”

“He's all I have, so I'll have to make do with him for now.” The smile and good-natured tone ensured that 'Smithy' took no offense. “After you see what we have in mind here, I suspect Smithy will be working regularly with Commander Tomkins, whose experience at Dogger Bank is proving helpful to you, I trust. Tomkins' facility in speaking clearly to mid-level officers who think they know more than they do must be a solid asset given the reforms you are developing.

“Smithy, you'll find as we go along that you have to do a lot of the same. So talk to Tomkins and be forewarned about speaking with some of the, ah, more traditionally minded officers. What has to be said sometimes comes better from one of you than from an Admiral. You can be a helpful colleague, whereas we are either 'Authority' or ancient fossils who have forgotten whatever we once knew.

“Now, Hugh, let's show you what Admiral Jellicoe has here.”

They looked across the great table and Moore continued. “This table is an open seascape which Admiral Jellicoe uses primarily for planning and studying fleet maneuvering and operations. The hatches in the middle allow him to have different views of the situation. He has it set up currently with the critical juncture of Dogger Bank – the point where I took command. This is an example of how it can be used to examine how engagements work out, and how they can be handled. The hatches mean you can place yourself in the middle of the action, as it were.”

“I had heard of the table, but not seen it until now. It is a way for a fleet commander to do some sort of advance thinking in handling squadrons, and the timing of various maneuvers. That could be useful in action, and much easier to do than using the fleet at sea. And my side of this is communications, to make it happen. For example, right here I can see where visibility of flags in wind and smoke was an issue in passing specific orders.”

“Hugh, my remit is to take this basic idea and use it to spread knowledge through the Grand Fleet. I don't have clear details, but rather a general mandate to come up with ideas and do as I see best. We have a few broader ideas under consideration. And I include Smithy here – he is proving as inventive now as you found him years ago.” Moore and Torrance-Smythe glanced at each other, their working relationship was developing rapidly.

A few minutes passed while Moore talked through the Dogger Bank action, moving some of the ship markers along as appropriate to illustrate both the battle and the use of the table.

“Gordon, that's a capital way to review things. You clearly have more in mind than just a horizontal chalkboard.”

“Indeed we do. Rather than take Jellicoe's command table from him, we are looking to set one up ashore where officers can more easily come to work with us. So, rather than take up space here in the ship, let's get our boat back and we can discuss it a bit on the way.”

“Good. The party from London is expecting me soon, and I want to be ready – or as ready as I can be. Henry Oliver is up from London and is bringing a couple of people to meet with Jellicoe. He in turn wants them to meet with me while they are here. They haven't really told me much of what they are about, I expect that is what you get from the DNI...no...he is now Chief of the Admiralty War Staff! So, it could be anything. I have been warned that it might go late.”

The three made their way back to the boat Smithy had arranged to be waiting, and headed for the landing stage. As soon as they set off, Smithy spoke, “Sirs, I think just the time lost for us today in crossing to and from Iron Duke demonstrates the value of moving ashore. The regular boat services can do much of the shuttling, and Iron Duke won't be encumbered with us.”

Moore carried on again. “And that was just Smithy's first good idea. Hugh, we want to build a main table, but also have others in adjoining rooms. We thought about using barriers to simulate bad visibility, but we can do better if we can separate various commanders and only let them see what they can actually see – not rely on them to keep it straight in their minds. And then we need to rely on simulating communications, practice the signaling along with command. So the 'us' that Smithy refers to may be a fair number of bodies.”

“Splendid! And I can see where you need our personnel, and can give them practice at the same time. I like it. Now I can see a few things right off, and I can list those off now as we are going in. Then what if we meet...let's say 0900, day after tomorrow, if that works for you...to go over issues. But first, where are you going to put it?”

“We have a party ashore scouting for a building, but there is not much around. Before we even started we were told that you got the last significant spaces for your Signal School. Therefore, we may be delayed while a place is built. Delay is not ideal, but we might end up with a better set of rooms and it will give us a chance to hone our plans.”

“I understand. I have been fighting that battle for space daily and have indeed nobbled any slack space ashore. I imagine your operation is too small to consider a ship being brought over for you to use, but they are the quickest way to build accommodation for a naval establishment.

“You probably aren't yet aware, but the Signal School is getting a pair of obsolescent scout cruisers added to the big one we have now. I might be able to find some space in one, or maybe even ashore, if you have an idea of just how much and just how you would use it. You might find that using a hulk is in many ways closer to being ashore than afloat, and will address some of the problems with having your operation aboard an active warship like Iron Duke.

“With that in mind, Gordon, let me suggest that Smithy contact Tomkins for a list of points you should be thinking about for our meeting the day after tomorrow. I can give you my top-of-mind thoughts as we make our way in now. But, first let me say that it should be just the three of us and Commander Tomkins. For several reasons, I think we, or more properly you, should play it close to the vest for a bit.”

== ==

Last edited:
Excellent stuff, I can imagine there will be grumbles from some older Admirals and those at the Admiralty itself as this wasn't how it was done in their day. But its got Jellico's support and full backing and Evans-Thomas being one of his disciples and thus protected by the Commander Grand Fleet and the looming shadow of Fisher. Thing is, also at the Admiralty, you've got Churchill working with Fisher, and the two got on well. But, Churchill was a BIG supporter of Beatty.

Deleted member 94680

Excellent stuff, I can imagine there will be grumbles from some older Admirals and those at the Admiralty itself as this wasn't how it was done in their day. But its got Jellico's support and full backing and Evans-Thomas being one of his disciples and thus protected by the Commander Grand Fleet and the looming shadow of Fisher.

What you need is an early success. Once the system has been ‘proven’ the majority of the grumbles will die down.

Thing is, also at the Admiralty, you've got Churchill working with Fisher, and the two got on well. But, Churchill was a BIG supporter of Beatty.

Given the choice between Jellicoe and Beatty for the top job, with things standing as they do, I’m pretty sure the Admiralty will side with Jellicoe.

“I understand. I have been fighting that battle for space daily and have indeed nobbled any slack space ashore. I imagine your operation is too small to consider a ship being brought over for you to use, but they are the quickest way to build accommodation for a naval establishment.

“You probably aren't yet aware, but the Signal School is getting a pair of obsolescent scout cruisers added to the big one we have now. I might be able to find some space in one, or maybe even ashore, if you have an idea of just how much and just how you would use it. You might find that using a hulk is in many ways closer to being ashore than afloat, and will address some of the problems with having your operation aboard an active warship like Iron Duke.

Might this potentially hint at the Iron Duke's eventual fate being an offshore hulk used as the headquarters of the naval battle planning/wargaming office, or whatever Moore's organisation ends up named as? Assuming the ship still scores victories in TTL Jutland, survives, and continues to be useful and well-liked after being demilitarized, it might end up a museum ship, thus averting the absurdity that the RN does not have a demilitarized modern battleship to show to tourists and suchlike.

Might this potentially hint at the Iron Duke's eventual fate being an offshore hulk used as the headquarters of the naval battle planning/wargaming office, or whatever Moore's organisation ends up named as? Assuming the ship still scores victories in TTL Jutland, survives, and continues to be useful and well-liked after being demilitarized, it might end up a museum ship, thus averting the absurdity that the RN does not have a demilitarized modern battleship to show to tourists and suchlike.
That makes no sense.

The training/simulation school needs big spaces, easy access between spaces, lots of multiple conference/lecture rooms plus plenty of bunks /hotel space.

Iron Duke in 1935 has the last. She also has heavy armor, tight subdivision, pain in the ass bulkheads to modify/rebuild.

If the training and simulation school is aboard a ship, a fleet auxiliary is the better and cheaper choice.

That makes no sense.

The training/simulation school needs big spaces, easy access between spaces, lots of multiple conference/lecture rooms plus plenty of bunks /hotel space.

Iron Duke in 1935 has the last. She also has heavy armor, tight subdivision, pain in the ass bulkheads to modify/rebuild.

If the training and simulation school is aboard a ship, a fleet auxiliary is the better and cheaper choice.
History is against you, normally they modified obsolete cruisers and the like. Demilitarization would remove most of the armor and the main gun turrets ( both reused in many cases ) as a matter of course and extra superstructure for classrooms etc was standard ( just see what they did to HMS Caroline as an example )

Expect the next installment tomorrow. It is written, just waiting for the editor.
A few comments.
1. Beatty is just being made Vice Adm. about this time. He is the most junior V-A and if he were to be appointed to the GF over all the various Battle Squadron commanders, and other V-A's, then there might be a mutiny at the top. There is a lot of solid experience out there in the others, no matter what WLSC might think.
2. You might be getting ahead of the era. This will not be a big School but rather a little workshop for a few senior officers. Maybe the Admirals and Captains, and then maybe down as far as Captains who are DD flotilla commanders, at most. Jellicoe is floating this *within* his GF staff, and Moore is just running a bit loose right now.
3. Yes, Smithy is a nerd, but also a naval officer who loves the sea. No worries there. (Actually with the talk about actors I have been thinking Archie Leach for Moore, I hear his voice when he tells T-S that he likes having his orders obeyed. And then maybe indeed Bernie Schwartz for T-Smythe.)

EDIT: PS: I have noticed that the early sections of the story, in the battle, were all quite short, and were also quite natural to write. These later sections, full of meetings ashore, have been much longer and usually more difficult to get close to right. I hope I have been able to preserve something close to the level of reality and story telling that I started out with. // VP

Last edited:
You've got a whole fleet of AMC's and patrol vessels, converted liners and converted merchant liners all. Work with one of those. A lot of these are doing patrol duty to the north IIRC. At least one of has large saloons, ballrooms, and holds, together with staterooms that can be used for berthing.

I'd nominate RMS Tuetonic for the role. She's smaller than most of the AMC's and she's due for a shipyard refit around the time that a hull is required. She's also relatively old, and gets scrapped in 1921 OTL, so she'd be easy enough to retain post war until a dedicated facility gets built.

What about HMS Campania she was converted to a seaplane tender around this time but her engines were pretty rotten and a more modern AMC would have made a better proto carrier.

England Expects Ch 4 - 7
CHAPTER 4 Part 7 – England Expects that Every Man....

SEVEN

Plain dark business suits, as nondescript as one could imagine, did little to disguise the military bearing and alertness of two of the three men, such that it was natural to assume that the third, equally alert although looking more relaxed, was also a senior officer in mufti.

Captain Henry Oliver stepped forward: “Admiral Evan Thomas, its good to see you again, sir. I presume you know Captain Hall?”

“Henry, I almost didn't recognize you looking like a banker. And Blinker, of course. I have always been impressed by the effectiveness of the reforms you tried in your ships. I am sorry to see you beached, but I hope your new post will suit your talent and experience.”

“Thank you, sir. I think I will be able to be quite useful in my current post.”

Oliver continued as the third man stepped forward. “Admiral, this is Professor Alfred Ewing. He heads the technical side of our operation, of which more later.”

“How do you do, Admiral.”

“Pleased to meet you Professor Ewing. Gentlemen, this is Commander Tomkins, my right hand man. I trust there is no issue in him remaining for our discussions?”

“Not at all, sir,” replied Oliver. “We made the trip primarily to meet with Admiral Jellicoe, but with your new Signal School right here with the Fleet we thought that a few minutes would be useful to us all. Commander, are we safe from outsiders here?”

“Yes, sir. Well, more or less. We were not preparing for a confidential conference. This room has one window, facing another naval building, and there are sentries outside the building. Only those with business here are allowed to enter.”

“That will do. We aren't going to discuss anything terribly vital, it's just good that we are not disturbed. Now, Admiral, as you know I am now Chief of the Admiralty War Staff, but my presence is also an excuse for Blinker and Professor Ewing to come along to tell Jellicoe, and you, a bit of what they do. Therefore, I propose that they brief you in the work of Captain Hall's Naval Intelligence Division. And, since he has come along with us, a word about the work of Professor Ewing's back-room team on signaling technology. And, I am sure I need not say that this is for your ears only.”

“That sounds appropriate. Blinker, I presume this is particularly for our Officers Course. What we should know, and what should be widely known?”

“Sir, first let me say that this is nothing that you have not discussed before, we are just applying more advanced technology and taking a much more systematic approach to receiving the enemy's W.T. signals, and trying to make some sense of them. That has taught us a lot about our own signaling security, and how to be careful not to make too much information known to the enemy.”

Less than half an hour later it was clear from his few questions that Rear Admiral Evan Thomas was indeed thoroughly knowledgeable in modern W.T. capabilities, and he had moved a fair part of the discussion along to what could be learned from the enemy.

Professor Ewing had a bit to add there, and as the discussion moved increasingly to his work he was interrupted by the Admiral. Evan Thomas spoke carefully: “Professor, would I be correct in thinking that, as a seagoing officer, I might be better off not knowing more about how you do all that?” He also looked closely at Oliver as he said this.

Ewing nodded and smiled. “Very perspicacious of you, Admiral. I agree. It is more than sufficient that you know we exist, and what we try to do.”

Blinker Hall rose to the silence: “To summarize then, there are sundry details, but there are two key points for your training of Signal Officers. First, to drive home the message that W.T. security is critical to us, and second, the corollary to the first, that we sometimes learn quite a bit about the enemy, so anything we can learn or record can be of value when we add it together with other pieces.”

“I will have the officer in charge of the Officers Course review parts of it with your office. Perhaps you could name someone who could be our standing liaison?” Blinker Hall nodded his approval to this.

Oliver spoke up. “Very well, then. I think we understand each other, and having met, can carry that understanding forward in future as required. Thank you Admiral for seeing us. Commander Tomkins.” And with handshakes all around, the little meeting broke up.

Both Evan Thomas and Tomkins knew there was more here, but it was enough that they understood much more than had been said aloud.

Last edited:
I wonder if this young midshipman might turn up? Patrick Maynard Stuart Blackett, OTL he later became a very influential scientist and friend of Tizard.

I wonder if this young midshipman might turn up? Patrick Maynard Stuart Blackett, OTL he later became a very influential scientist and friend of Tizard.
If he does it won't be here. At this point he is on HMS Barham and very worried about gunnery accuracy, so if we do see him it will be amongst those discussing gunnery best practice and convincing people not to leave piles of shells and cordite lying around in turrets.