England Expects that Every Man....

I have a feeling that the Anson Class are going to be considerably different in this timeline, they're probably going to be a couple of knots slower and plow all of that freed up displacement into a battleship-scale all-or-nothing armour scheme, which will play havoc with the Washington Treaty negotiations.

what would be the OTL equivalent of this class?

(In my ignorance the only Anson class I recognised is a late Iron Clad)

Perhaps you mean the OTL Admiral Class which in its originally planned form was an Improved Queen Elizabeth battleship?
This would have been 4 ships (including one named Anson)

but the requirement was changed to be a large better armoured BC
(to counter the Mackensens which were mistakenly thought to be armed with 15.2 inch guns
not the 13.8" used to match the British 13.5)

In the end, only Hood was built because the Prussians never actually completed any 15" BC designs

Last edited:
RN class names generally were referred to by the first ship ordered, not by the first one laid down, which is why the Hood was called an Admiral Class once the Anson was cancelled. If she'd entered service, they would have been known as the Anson Class.

Deleted member 94680

RN class names generally were referred to by the first ship ordered, not by the first one laid down, which is why the Hood was called an Admiral Class once the Anson was cancelled. If she'd entered service, they would have been known as the Anson Class.

It was called the Admiral class as all the ships were named after famous Admirals.

Hood was the first ship to be laid down, hence why she was the one completed. Anson was the last to be ordered and laid down. If anything, they will be known as the Hood class.

Thank you @FriendlyGhost for the nomination. Thanks to all for seconding and for votes. I am still a bit surprised but certainly grateful for the expression of appreciation.
(Same for Interception at Sea, which was also nominated!)

Right now I am posting to announce the beginning of England Expects More.....
EDIT: The full name of the new story will be England Expects More from Every Man.... but I have shortened it for the title of the thread in order to make it clearly a different thread than this original series.

I made the first posting a short time ago, and will continue at a modest pace for as long as it takes for the characters to figure it all out. England Expects More will carry on recognizably from a point a few months after the end of England Expects, as the RN faces a new challenge and assigns Commander Louis Francis Torrance Smythe (Smithy) to put together a team. That might sound dramatic, but it is a likely to be quite boring - most of the time. I don't really know because I do not have even the next piece written, just an outline. This is my way of putting the heat on and drawing out the rest of the story!

It would naturally be useful to have a basic recollection of England Expects in order to fit the new story into its place in the revised naval situation of WWI. No spoilers. Readers will have to follow along and discover as the characters do themselves. // VP

Last edited:

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
It's a great title, but I think it suits Robert Perkins' stories better as they are more Nelsonian. It's a published work so you might have trouble with that if you seek to publish this.