England Expects More....

England Expects More.... CH 1-1
  • England Expects More from Every Man....

This is a sequel to England Expects that Every Man.... from last year. It is implicitly assumed that readers have read that one, although I think this one could be read on its own – you just need to know that events have progressed on a different path than OTL, and there will be both puzzles and spoilers if you read this one first. There is no scene-setting piece here at the beginning so as not to spoil England Expects for a new reader, but it will inevitably be exposed so I recommend you go read it first.

England Expects introduces some of the characters in this story and will make them rather more clear. As for what this story is, I have some ideas and I think it will be fun to roll them out. Posting will be slow – I have nothing 'in the can' to post and only a bare outline past the first few parts. That all means that the characters have to live it out before I can record it, and report it here. Patience will be a virtue.

There will be minimal research, but I will try to keep it real. This story starts a few months after a highly recognizable moment in WWI, and moves away when a few people think about how the world works – not how they have been trained to believe how it works – and then start putting pieces together.

All named characters are real, unless otherwise noted. (I will try to remember to mark those who carry over from
    England Expects – they have become real to me.) There are some other roles where my limited research has not turned up names for the OTL persons, and so I may be making up a few names. I will also be inventing names and even complete positions to fill in roles which may or may not have been there, but that I think need filling.

Finally, I can say that I am flattered by the nomination of
    England Expects for a Turtledove Award for 2019, and I thank those who nominated and who are voting for me. It was your kind words, and talk of nominations (Quoi? Turtledove Award? Qu’est-ce que c’est?) many months ago that caused me to think about moving on with this sequel. Thank you all. // VP

== == ==

CHAPTER 1 Part 1: England Expects More....

ONE

“Commander Torrance Smythe?* Captain Green can see you now, sir.”

“Thank you.”

Commander Louis Francis Torrance Smythe* stepped into Captain John Green's day cabin on HMS New Zealand. “Welcome Commander. Take a chair. I am happy to have the opportunity to thank you personally for all you did for us before the Battle of Jutland, to get us ready. And sometimes in spite of ourselves.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“And Admiral Pakenham has probably told you himself how much he came to appreciate the experience.”

“Yes, sir. He has, sir. He was most generous.”

“During the battle we even shared a word about the value of having had a tense time at your FACT sessions. It helped us be in a better frame of mind to deal with situations and give the huns a thumping. From what I have heard they got one of their battle cruisers home, severely damaged, and perhaps another. Do you have any more recent information on that?”

“Yes, sir. With a few months to work on it our intelligence services have a bit more to say. Their one surviving battlecruiser is in the dockyard for some months yet, if they have not actually concluded that it is not worth repairing. They had another which recent information suggests they got close to home before losing it. The confusion in information we were receiving is because they were apparently trying to beach the ship for later recovery, but it sank a few miles too soon – in deeper water.”

“Thank you. That's a bit more detailed than the latest information I have received here in Rosyth. We won't have to worry about their fast wing until their new ships are completed.

“Now I understand that you are here to ask after Lieutenant Walke?* What is it you would like to know? I presume you are sizing him up for a job.”

Torrance Smythe ("Smithy" in the Service) was a bit uneasy. “Well, sir, I don't know where to start, except that he is under consideration for a new assignment. All I can say at this time is that his facility to see patterns and make sense in the numbers when others see none – as Admiral Moore described to me over a year ago – is highly desirable.”

“Smithy, I don't know what to say about that part. I pulled out his file and it has splendid reports on him as an officer. And I can say that I have watched him and he is indeed a very fine young man. He rose from turret officer of 'X' at Dogger Bank to 'A' turret and then to Assistant Gunnery Officer. Some think him young for that, but he has been a great success as AGO, sufficiently that the GO considers himself almost redundant. Walke also qualified as a watch-keeping officer, and I have watched him learn ship-handling rapidly and well. The navigator reports that he is the best he has ever seen at celestial navigation.

“The one point of question is the Wardroom. He doesn't seem to.... He is not disliked, far from it, but he doesn't seem to get on particularly well with anyone either. Not that he has no friends, just that he gets on with everyone on a similar and very professional basis. And he is quietly, and I think he believes invisibly, dismissive of those who are not working as hard as he is to be as professional as they can be. I don't know what to say about that, not if your job involves working in a team. If he fits then he's your man, but if not, then it might be a very bad fit.”

“I see, sir. At least I think I do. He's competent as an officer in general, in both gunnery and seamanship, anything he turns his hand to. He is highly intelligent, but we are not certain how he works with others.”

“Not quite. I think we can say that he works well with others in some, even most, circumstances, but there is some doubt about how he fits in. Personable enough when he is around, but doesn't spend time socially and some other junior officers consider him quite snobbish. Some say he spends his time with other ranks and POs, and hold him in disdain for that. But I suspect that for his leisure he just works at the details of his assignment. There is some odd thing there that I can't quite identify.”

“Sir, he sounds like the kind of man we want, but he must be able to work hand-in-glove, hands-in-others-pockets even, with the team. Sir, this is an important job – I can tell you that I have been reassigned to it myself and others are being sought from across the RN. Is there anyone else I can speak with about Walke? The GO?”

“I talked with the GO and he has no more to add, is ashore at the moment in any event. We both think you should meet with the Gunner, Mr. MacDougall.* He seems to have mentored Walke to some large degree, and they are seen working on gunnery matters all over the ship.”

“Very good, sir. Where might I find him?”

“He was notified of your arrival and,” Green checked the chronometer on the wall, “I expect he arrived outside a few minutes ago. I'll leave you this cabin to meet with him, if that suits you?” Smithy's surprise at this foresight brought a smile from Captain Green, who offered his hand as he picked up his hat with his left. “Good luck in your new assignment.”

Smithy got past his surprise and stood. “Thank you, sir. This is most kind of you.”

“You are most welcome. There is a lot of capability in that young man, if you can find the right place to put it to work.” Green paused. “I'll send The Gunner in. See me before you leave the ship.”

“Yes, sir. Thank you, sir.”
    == ==
    *In England Expects we did not see the full name of (ficticious character) Commander Torrance Smythe (Smithy, from Smith-e). Lieutenant Walke is a ficticious character whom we met briefly. Mr. MacDougall is a ficticious character we also saw briefly in England Expects.

Last edited:
    England Expects More.... CH 1-2
  • CHAPTER 1 Part 2: England Expects More....

TWO

“Come in Mr. MacDougall. Please, have a seat.”

“Thank you, sirr.”

“I expect Captain Green told you that I am considering Lieutenant Walke for a new assignment. It's a special job and I do need to understand as much as I can before I decide to offer him the job. Please feel free to tell me what you can. Nothing you tell me will be held against him in any way – I just need to know who I am asking to join me.”

“Yes, sirr. I will try to answer whateverr questions you have.”

“Thank you, Mr. MacDougall.” Smithy smiled, “now before I start asking dumb questions about all the wrong things, what would you like to say? I know it is not usual for a Warrant Officer to be asked for an opinion of an officer, but I assure you this is a special situation, and I've been told that you're his mentor. How have you found him?”

“Sirr, the short answer is that he is as good a young officer as I have worked with in my four decades in the navy. He looks, listens, and learns, asks questions and when he needs to he can make up his mind right quick. He'll tackle any situation you give him. And sirr, I should say that he passes one of the best tests for any young officer – his men like him and they work hard for him and with him.”

“That's indeed a ringing endorsement of any officer. Thank you. What gives him his magic touch with the men?”

“He is just himself, sirr. He is not one of the herredit'ry officers, 'rristocratic RN family and all that, some of them what who regard themselves as better than the men.” His mouth crinkled almost invisibly as he said that, a clear sign of what he thought. “ He's a genuine person and treats them like they matter. They know that, and that he will do what he can for them. Like when.... Ha'hmm.... One of the lads lost his father missing and his brother killed, first day at the Somme. Another brother had gone missing at sea – later rescued – the month before. Lieutenant Walke got him a two week leave, and then sent a telegram to his mother that he was on the way. He also wrote a letter to her and posted it himself. He felt the man's loss himself.”

“Very good.” Smithy paused, thought of his own views, and went on. “He sees different ranks and jobs, but all working together.”

“Aye, sirr, that's just it.” MacDougall nodded as he spoke.

“If I may ask, does he have a weak spot that might trip him up?”

“Commander, I can't speak for how he gets along with the other officers, but otherwise he's solid. And if he doesn't feel solid about something, he finds out what he needs to know.”

“Mr. MacDougall, you are describing the man I want to have, thank you. I can see in your face that you like him, and from what you have said I do too. I can tell you that my team will face challenges in many ways. We will need to learn and adapt, and unlearn what is wrong, and sometimes persuade others. I need him.”

Smithy paused again as Mr. MacDougall waited for him to continue. “I am going too far here, but, I recognize that you have more years in the RN than I have on earth and I seek your help. He gets along well with seniors, and with the men. What happens with his peers, with other junior officers?”

“Sirr.... Sirr, I know he doesn't have bad relations with them, it's just different. Sirr, I raised six kids of my own – or mostly Mrs. MacDougall did, with me away so much.” He smiled faintly as he thought of his family. “They're all older than him and I have seen young folks like him...”

“And me?” Smithy interjected with a wide and genuine smile.

“...yes, sirr.” Mr. MacDougall responded with what was for his serious demeanor a similarly warm expression. “And, I have seen them trying to figure out where they are in the world. Lieutenant Walke needs to know where he stands. He can talk with the Captain and the Admiral, and just like with the men he knows where he stands. With other officers it's fine on working matters, but if it's social and the rules aren't there, he's nervous.” Mr. MacDougall looked thoughtful for a moment and continued.

“Sirr, even within gunnery, if he knows the limits of what he can do he will, but if it isn't in the KR&AI, or written down, or in his orders, he gets tied up in thinking about the rules. That's his odd spot: he needs rules, at least to know what they are or...or if there are none and he is free to act. If you have some special group where he doesn't have to worry about fitting into some unwritten set of rules then he is...he is as good as you can get. Sirr.”

“Wonderful descriptions Mr. MacDougall. Your descriptions not only ensure that he will have the job, but may help me in how I organize it. I am a lot like that myself on the business of rules: unwritten or unclear rules are frustrating, and unfair. At the same time, a lack of rules can be an invitation to get on with the job.” Smithy stood to shake hands. “Thank you for your help, and for all you have done for him.”

“Thank you, sirr,” Mr. MacDougall said as he went to the door. There he paused, and relaxed. “You're right, Commander, he has been like an extra son to me,” he said as he turned and left.

Smithy sat for a moment to think about what he had learned. Yes, probably a very good fit. The problem would be in finding others who could help them. After a few minutes he got up and opened the door to speak to the sentry outside, “Please pass the word for....”

“Lieutenant Walke, sir? The Gunner, ah, Mr. MacDougall, said you wanted to see me right away.”
    == ==

England Expects More.... CH 1-3
  • Apologies for the delay in rolling this out. All is more or less generally well, I just could not bring myself to work on it. I will try to move it along a bit faster now.

As you will see, this first chapter continues as a sort of prologue to the story - because I don't quite know what they will do or how to move it along, quite apart from the minimal technical research required to make it believable. // VP

PS: Many thanks to those who voted for my stories in the TurtleDove awards. I still shake my head in surprise that I was even in the lists, let alone twice. (Thanks especially to @FriendlyGhost for kicking off the nominations!)

== ==
    CHAPTER 1 Part 3: England Expects More....

THREE

“Lieutenant Joseph Walke?” Walke nodded, lips pressed firmly together. “Come in. I'm Commander Torrance Smythe. I was indeed about to send for you.”

“Pleased to meet you, sir.”

“And I am very pleased to meet you. Your Captain speaks well of you.” Smithy paused. “And so did Admiral Moore last year when I was working with him on the Fleet Action Control Tables.”

Walke looked away briefly before he spoke. “Admiral Moore showed me that if you know your ground you can deal with whomever and whatever you need to, sir. I was only back in the navy a few months and he accepted me as if I was a long serving veteran when we analysed the gunnery records after Dogger Bank.”

“And a good lesson it was: be prepared and stand your ground when you know you are right.” Smithy waited a moment. “You said you came back to the navy. That was after your time at Oxford?”

“Yes, sir. After Osborne I went to Dartmouth. There I was in the top tier of the class in anything mathematical or technical. And so when I asked, and begged a bit, they let me go on half pay to attend Oxford. I was there two years to get my degree, Then I had to come back to the navy to keep my career moving along. And, it seemed like the Kaiser was getting restless. I may be a mathematician but I have always wanted to be a naval officer.”

“A naval officer with an advanced mathematical background, you may find yourself making contributions to gunnery or navigation, or other challenges currently unknown.

“Lieutenant, I have an assignment in mind for you – I would like to Shanghai you onto my team. But, it will involve working in what might be an unstructured command. and coordinating with others who may not always want to cooperate fully with us. Nevertheless, this job will require that we be able to work both with them and around them at the same time. That means within what rules there are, and making them up when there are none. Please think about that – can you work with that uncertainty?”

“Sir, of course I can't say for sure, but.... Let me try to put it this way sir: if we have some reasonable idea of where the actual limits are, then we can define the open spaces in between. And that works for me. As to the grey areas, I can't say for sure, sir. I... I... sometimes I am becalmed by uncertainty if I don't know what the limits of my own authority are, but only if I might trespass on others. Otherwise I think I can make use of the absence of limits.

“Sir, I believe you have heard in advance how I dislike ambiguity, that I like to know what my limits are. Another side of that is that I have acquired some experience at rationalizing my way out of a transgression or three.” Walke smiled. “You might say I parse the rules apart in pieces, and identify how I am not actually breaking someone else's rules as they are written. If that might be helpful to you.”

Smithy burst out laughing at this. “Ha! Ha-Ha! A young sea lawyer! Destined for high command no doubt!” He paused and smiled. “Quite seriously, that is actually a skill we will need. Very well then. Lieutenant Joseph Leonard Triggs Walke,* you and Captain Green will be notified forthwith of your transfer to my command. I have the orders here, I just need to endorse them and hand over copies.”

Taken aback at this strong show of approval, Walke spoke quietly. “You sound quite certain sir, all I can promise is to do my best.”

“That's been quite good in your naval career so far, Lieutenant. I'm sure it will be all that England expects.” He stood and offered his hand. “Now, we're going to be a small unit. Do you go by Joseph?”

“Only on official documents, sir. I rather dislike it. Leonard, sometimes very informally Len, sir.”

“Very well, Leonard, you go get packed – yes, now – while I meet with the Captain. Here is your copy of the orders. We'll meet at the next boat. There's one scheduled in about half an hour – at 1100.”
    == ==
    *Full name for Lieutenant Walke. (Note, his family actually uses ”Triggs Walke" but he has been undecided about using the double-barreled name since Osborne, when he found some of those classmates who were so encumbered were not to his liking.)

England Expects More.... CH 1-4
  • CHAPTER 1 Part 4: England Expects More....

FOUR

“Captain Green? You wanted to see me before I left, and I have the orders for Lieutenant Walke.”

“Of course Commander. I have been waiting for you to come and find me. Let's go out on the wing. Stuck ashore as you have been for the past year and a half, today's moderate breeze will do you good.”

They went out on the windward wing of the bridge – both for the fresh air and so they could converse privately. The two crew members doing maintenance there knew very well why the Captain liked it, and made themselves scarce.

“Commander, I am happy that you have your man. As much as I regret losing a good officer, I think he can do well for himself, for the Navy, and for Britain and he should have every opportunity. I am sure Mr. MacDougall will feel similarly.”

“Sir, I did get the feeling that Mr. MacDougall has taken a rather fatherly feeling toward Lieutenant Walke, quite apart from speaking well of him as an officer.”

“I agree. It has been good for both of them. But Smithy I wanted to speak with you specifically to tell you that Walke is the kind of methodical and rigorous thinker who will be invaluable in your new posting. If what I have been hearing is correct, the true crisis of the naval war will not come from any possible return of the battleships we sank and battered at Jutland but from those damned U-boats.”

“Oh, don't look so surprised, man. I didn't earn command of a battlecruiser with just my good looks. It's becoming obvious to anyone who thinks about it. I am sure MacDougall has it figured out, and lots of others. Look.... You are Jellicoe's man for figuring out a problem – and that has become known to the Admiralty as well following Jutland. And some have recognized that you work by first figuring out a way to properly study and work on the problem. Oh, Admiral Moore led the way forward, but you were always on your own path. And, by the by, I know how you sank your U-boat!” He chuckled. “We'd give up a destroyer to sink each U-boat, if necessary, but before that we have to find the bloody things.

“For many months after Moore took over 5BS you trained us all on your damned FACT tables. Every Captain and Admiral in the Grand Fleet and the BCF that I have spoken with has an odd mixture of frustration and anger, and heartfelt thanks, for the battle problems you had us working through. For the training!” The pitch of his voice rose to express his incredulity. “Imagine that – training senior officers in the Royal Navy who already know everything there is to know about ships and the sea!” He laughed and shook his head.

“So here we are. Barely more than three months ago we bashed and thrashed the High Seas Fleet, and so the Kaiser has had to go rogue and turn his U-boats to unrestricted warfare. And for the last six weeks our merchant ships have been suffering more every week. They may try to keep it from the public, but the navy knows and seafarers know and everyone will soon. We lose more every week – in numbers we can scarcely comprehend.

“I am sure that Admiral Jackson* is in as deep despair as anyone over this sudden turn in the U-boat campaign, I think you might see him replaced as First Sea Lord soon – as soon as they find a senior admiral who believes he has a way to tackle the U-boats and wipe them from the seas.

“You have been nobbled for this job. It might be impossible, but if there is a way to solve it you will need the best team we have got. I think Walke is one of those – he thinks for himself and sees things in a way that not everyone does. I hope the 2nd Lord's office has a few more. However I don't think it will be a large team that will solve this, it will be someone making a few key insights or discoveries about this completely new problem. Don't forget that everyone in the RN is a professional and once there is an answer, all will turn to and fall upon it. The real problem is knowing what to do.

“Commander Torrance Smythe, I wish you all the good luck you need and all the success you can handle. We need those U-boats stopped.” At that Captain Green ended his lecture and held out his hand.

“Thank you for the words of encouragement, and of wisdom, sir.” Torrance Smythe was thoughtful as they shook hands. “I will keep in mind the bit about fresh insights into a completely new problem. Everyone will help if we can only figure out what it is we have to do.”

“I sincerely hope it is wisdom, and not the ramblings of a weary old sea captain,” Green finished, with a smile, as Smithy turned to leave.

== ==
    *Admiral of the Fleet Sir Henry Bradwardine Jackson, First Sea Lord. (OTL May 1915 – November 1916; After Fisher and before Jellicoe.)

Last edited:
    England Expects More.... CH 2-1
  • CHAPTER 2 Part 1: England Expects More....

ONE

By chance, Walke and Torrance Smythe entered the conference room together, where the half-dozen officers waiting around the table got to their feet.

“Good morning gentlemen, Please sit down.” Commander Torrance Smythe remained standing as they resumed their seats and Walke moved to a vacant chair. “I'm Commander Louis Torrance Smythe, and as you all know I will be leading this little group of ours. At least this is what I have been led to believe as we await more explicit orders from the Admiralty.

“Most of you arrived in the last 48 hours and are wondering what your job, our job, is to be here. Indeed you may be wondering where 'here' is, officially. We are within HM Dockyard Portsmouth, and officially attached to it. Our little group has, as yet, no name. Perhaps by the end of today we will have been given one, or can make one for ourselves and get it accepted. For the time being we are a quiet little administrative unit – but working on the U-boat problem.

“Our mandate is not yet well defined, but as I see it we are to do whatever it takes to come up with a way, or ways, to sweep the U-boats from the seas around Great Britain and get ships safely to our shores. Yes, others are working on the problem from their specific operational viewpoints, we are to start with a blank slate.”

Walke interjected: “I suppose one could say that we can make out own viewpoint as we need to.”

Torrance Smythe nodded: “From what I have been told, that is probably a good way to think of it. We have a senior officer coming shortly to tell us what the Admiralty says on that score. In addition, he will brief us on the scope of our mission. We will have a lot to discuss.

“I've spoken with most of you individually, if even for a few minutes last night or this morning. After this morning's meeting I will sit down with each of you to clarify assignments, if and as required. I presume you've been introducing yourselves just now, but let's review.

“Lieutenant Leonard Walke, whom we have just heard from, arrived with me last night from Rosyth. He's spent the war in the gunnery department of HMS New Zealand, and played a part in gunnery reforms for the Grand Fleet. He is also a mathematician, and his role here with us will be analytical and mathematical depending on what we find.

“Lieutenant Commander John Barker* has spent the last few years in submarines, commanding of two of them on a number of active patrols. It is two, I believe?”

“Yes, sir,” Barker spoke up in his gravelly voice.

“Lieutenant Commander Barker, 'Barky' in the submarine service, is to be our adviser on matters of submarine operations. More on that on a moment, because – our job is to do with the submarine menace.”

Several heads nodded at this. Submariners were a new group of specialists for the RN, and it made sense to have one in a group looking at countering enemy submarines.

“Lieutenant Commander Wilson Imrie,* is our expert for mine laying and sweeping matters, as well as inshore navigation. If required he will assist the other RNR officers in their key task, but I suspect that is unlikely.

“Lieutenant Robinson, RNVR,* comes from his peace time job as a barrister, and he will be our administrative coordinator when required, as well as joining all of us in figuring out what to do about U-boats. I hear he is a masterful chess player, so be warned.”

Robinson laughed at this. “I never play for drinks with my own colleagues. I reserve that for other people's colleagues.” This produced some chuckles from the others as Torrance Smythe went on.

“Lieutenants Cabot,* Parker,* and Weldon,*” each nodded in turn, “are all experienced merchant mariners. They will be finding out everything they can about every encounter our ships have had with U-boats. Gentlemen, as necessary, indeed as soon as possible, you will be going out to interview ships' Captains or others for first-hand information.

“And, you will have help with that. We can have five or six fresh green RNVR subbies assigned to us – they are actually to be selected by you. The Sub-Lieutenants are all straight from their commissioning ceremony this morning, and so this afternoon you will be picking those you believe will be most useful: three assistants for you in reviewing reports or interviewing others for useful data, and two or three more to help with analysis. So it's up to you but a bit of seaman-like knowledge might possibly be helpful for the first, but an ability to think logically and ask pointed questions might be much more important for the others. Perhaps Walke or Robinson can go along to help with that part of it? Both?”

Walke nodded at this, and Robinson spoke up: “There may be some intelligent or experienced heads in the RNVR group if we can grab them quickly. I think it could be a good investment of our time, sir.”

“Good idea. See what they are made of. Just remember some are quite inexperienced and we'll not want to frighten them unduly!” Smithy warned as he saw the gleam in Walke's eye.

“Aye, aye, sir.”

“I know I have been droning on, but there's one more thing and then we will take a short break before we see the man from the Admiralty. Our little establishment has a number of other ranks to handle the flow of reports from all sources, and transferring that into useful tables of information. Key among them are four POs that I was able to bring along from my time running the Fleet Analysis and Control Tables at Scapa. CPOs Davies* and Jones,* and POs Cooper* and MacPherson.* They were vital engines in the machinery that ran that place, and that experience will be useful to us here.

“Right now they are working with the carpenters to design and build for us a large table, and one or two small ones, all of which we will use to illustrate and examine anti-submarine tactics. This was a very useful device for us in developing and training the communications and command procedures of the Grand Fleet, and I hope will be useful to us here. We can lay out scale diagrams or even use small models to trace out what happened. Or we can work through how things work out, or how we hope they will work out, in practice. Barky, you will have to get involved in setting up how submarine attacks take place. Maybe check with them this afternoon to ensure they build in anything you need.”

“Aye, aye, sir.”

This brought a quiet murmur of curiosity and a raised eyebrow or two, but before there could be any further discussion, there was a quick knock and the door opened. CPO Davies came in followed by a steward carrying a tray with a large coffee pot and mugs which he took to a side table. Davies whispered to Smithy. “Sir, we've been warned there's an Admiral coming along the street, heading this way. MacPherson will guide him here in about two minutes, sir.”

Smithy turned back to the room. “Steward: a cup for whomever wants it, smartly if you please. We have two minutes – the Admiralty seems to have made up it's mind, so we'll be getting our orders from the top. I'll move over there, leave the chair here at the head for the Admiral. Take a deep breath gentlemen.”

== ==
    *All of these officers are ficticious. The four Petty Officers are all ficticious and are veterans of England Expects that Every Man.

Last edited:
    England Expects More.... CH 2-2
  • CHAPTER 2 Part 2: England Expects More....

TWO

The door opened and PO MacPherson stepped through and held it as Vice Admiral Sir Archibald Gordon Moore stepped slowly forward. All jumped to their feet, and on recognizing that it really was Moore standing at the head of the table, all stood a bit straighter. There were smiles all around.

“Thank you, gentlemen. Please be seated.” His flag lieutenant slipped unobtrusively into a corner as CPO Davies pulled the chair off to the side.

“Commander Torrance Smythe – Smithy – has by now given you the essence of your task. My job will be to help, to guide, and to protect you as you get down to work, as you ask questions and test solutions. My job will be to open doors for you. If you need to see anyone about anything, ask any question, I can open that door.

“Smithy will be in day-to-day command, and for formal purposes I shall be the commanding officer, and you may use my name, if necessary, when requesting information or help of any kind. We don't have a name, but I suppose you could say you are part of my staff. Administration will be from HM Dockyard, but the chain of command will be that I report directly to their Lordships. I have no other assignment or command. You are not just one of many responsibilities – this will be my sole focus. The U-boat menace is critical for the United Kingdom and the Empire.

“Admiral Jackson was rather terse, he said he doesn't want lengthy written orders distracting us from getting on with the job. And the job is simple: do whatever it takes. To quote the written orders: “Determine means by which the RN or other forces can sweep enemy submarines from critical sea lanes in order that merchant ships can come and go from United Kingdom ports in safety.” We can coordinate with others, whether RN or scientists, seamen of any kind. Druids for all anyone cares. Find out what they know, and what they are doing. But we, you, have to put the pieces together, see where they work together or at cross purposes, and cut across departmental or other command lines if and when required. Find a solution, or many solutions, whatever works.

“My own job, as the figurehead-in-chief,” he gave a wry smile, “will be to use my gold braid and my recent elevation in public esteem, to cut across lines of any sort. To ask, persuade, or press gang anyone, anywhere, to help us. And I can add,... just a moment....”

As he spoke, Moore turned his head a bit and angled his hand toward MacPherson who quickly moved out to the hall. Moore continued, “I will be honest with you. Standing here for a few moments is showing off – more to myself than to you – but I am still recovering from a few scrapes and bruises I picked up when we had that donnybrook with the Huns a few months ago.”

Davies held the door as MacPherson came back with a wheelchair which they positioned, and then MacPherson held Moore's arm as he lowered himself into it.

“Ahh. Thank you.” Moore nodded toward his helper. Clearly this was not MacPherson's first time helping him get around.

“I try to save those bursts of energy for when I really need it. I am getting a bit stronger every passing week, but I shall always have limits to that.

“Most days I will be here for a short time if at all, or when my presence seems especially useful. Other days I will be meeting with the Admiralty or other departments, or anyone in high places who might be able to help us. The First Lord, Mr. Balfour, has assured me that he speaks for the Prime Minister when he says that the country will support us, 'howsoever you may require.' to use his exact words”

Smithy spoke up: “Sir, there is a whole anti-submarine and sea patrol apparatus that is already working for all they are worth to stop the U-boats. How do we fit in, and how do we avoid conflicts?”

“Good question. First, they are doing the work and we will respect them at every turn. We will learn from them at every opportunity. Whatever we learn ourselves, we will share. When we think we figure something out, we will ask if it has been tested. We will work on testing it with them. We will give credit where credit is due. Credit will come to all in abundance from finding a solution. Second, we are intended to work outside the usual lines, to ask questions, to gather information from different sources to compare and contrast. We are not going to invent some new weapon ourselves, but we might see something at odds in the reports, or in the way that U-boats are currently viewed. In that way we are to be free of operational necessities or traditional fiefdoms and open to free thinking. We are a long shot, but Admiral Jackson as 1SL, and Admiral Jellicoe who had us with the Grand Fleet, thought that given the success Smithy and I had with the FACT system, might strike it lucky once again.”

Moore paused and looked around, then smiled slowly. “None of you are here entirely by accident. The least that can be said is that in your previous posts you were considered creative, and in some cases independent-minded or even downright impertinent, or indeed worse – from a traditional point of view. I will let you trade details later over drinks, but suffice it to say your previous commanding officers considered you to be thinkers who were not always completely bound by the KR&AI. With this assignment, that is a definite asset.”

Lieutenant Commander Barker, was looking down at his hands and smiling, while Lieutenant Robinson could not help but chuckle as he spoke. “Sir, I suppose I might have learned too much from some of my clients...my less socially compliant clients...before the war. Sir.”

Moore shared in the laugh. “Exactly. We have to look where others are not and figure out whatever it takes to stop the U-boats from sinking our ships and scaring the neutrals coming to port with the goods and resources Britain needs. Smithy and I have worked together in the past, and we have spoken a few times these past two weeks. He has my complete confidence. As to our group, I am optimistic and I am sure we will soon develop a similar level of confidence in each other.

“And so gentlemen, we have our task. We have a wide-open mandate to pursue anything which might help get more U-boats sunk and allow ships to get to and from our ports. The total of losses is rising every week, and will soon be a threat to our ability to wage war in France.

“I have a few things to discuss with Commander Torrance Smythe before I go. Smithy, what do we have for an office? Lead on.”

Moore turned his head a bit. “MacPherson, if you would, please. Flags, oh...stop! Before we go, gentlemen: this is Lieutenant Lyons,* my new Flag Lieutenant. You will see him around from time to time as he does my legwork for me. Alright, let's go.”
    == ==
    *Ficticious character. We can't go through this story just calling him Flags.

England Expects More.... CH 2-3
  • CHAPTER 2 Part 3: England Expects More....

THREE

A moderately sized office nearby had both of their names on it, and as they got there Torrance Smythe took over pushing the wheelchair from MacPherson. “Thank you. We'll find you when we are finished – just a few minutes.”

“Aye, aye, sir.”

Moore smiled. “So, Smithy...with limited space you figure that I will be away enough that we can share?”

“Yes, sir. Or else I will be away or working on the analysis. I think that the main working office with the cluster of desks, or the conference room, or even the large layout tables, will be the site of most of our work.”

“Ah, yes, the layout tables. What are you thinking to put on them for scenarios, or keep them blank?”

“I don't know yet, sir. Generally blank, I think. I was planning to meet with Barky and Imrie tomorrow. They have recent submarine and anti-submarine experience, and we can figure out something. We have the large table, with four access hatches, and two smaller tables. The lighting and communications are not yet up to what we had at Scapa, but I think will be less critical here, at least in our early stages.”

“Very well. You might want to consider what Davies and the others have to say. They have many hours watching how senior officers worked around them.”

“Yes, sir. Thank you for the suggestion.”

“I am serious. They are intelligent and observant.” Moore smiled. “MacPherson confessed to me that they used to bet on which Captains and Admirals would do well, and he said Davies almost never had to buy the pints. And that Cooper had an eye for predicting creative or adventurous efforts – for good or ill.”

Smithy laughed. “I wondered a few times if they had something going on the side. And I will consult them, sir. They saw the FACT 'games table' from within as well as how things played out so I am sure they will have something to say.”

“Very well. Now, I wanted to tell you two things. First, I am going to London tomorrow to be ready to meet with Blinker Hall and Henry Oliver the morning after. I will need the rest, but you can come up that morning: 1000 at the DNI offices.

“The second thing is to inform you of the current fleet reorganizations that are taking place. This information is secret in as much as there is no announcement other than ships moving about from place to place. If it comes up in your work you can acknowledge it, but it oughtn't be spread around unnecessarily.”

“I understand, sir.”

“We have a crushing superiority in battleships, and there doesn't seem to be any prospect of the Germans challenging us. So the following measures will quietly take place:
    • The old armoured cruisers and pre-dreadnought battleships, and various other elderly ships, will for the most part be laid up. The Grand-Dames of the Channel Fleet will gradually be laid to rest.
    • The older 12-inch gunned dreadnoughts from the Grand Fleet will be moved to the Channel Fleet in case the Germans do put together an attempt to enter the Channel, but mostly as support for the cruisers from Harwich and Dover.
    • Some of the old ships will be used for second and third line tasks such as shore bombardment, here and maybe in the Med, but they will be discarded as they wear out their heavy guns. They will be training or accommodation ships, lightly-crewed guard ships to help east-coast ports feel safe, and so on. All the usual sorts of things.
    • Some of their guns will be remounted on monitors of various sizes for inshore bombardment.
    “Furthermore, and of relevance to you and your work, our work:
    • Experienced crews will be available for other vessels, and particularly anti-submarine vessels – which means every trawler, barge, or scow that can do 12 kts or more and carry a 12-pounder. There are to be several new series of escort sloops that are to be built as rapidly as possible.
    • Light guns from old vessels, 12-pounders to 4.7-inch, but some up to 6-inch, will be used to arm merchant ships so that they can fend off U-boats that attack on the surface. There is an expectation that forcing the U-boats to remain submerged, therefore slow and blind, will reduce losses.
    • And as you might expect, these actions will free up a number of destroyers from fleet flotillas and they will be used for anti-submarine patrols. Indeed a few of the newest and longest-ranged destroyers will be released from the Grand Fleet to form long range hunting groups. This should bring a considerable number of highly capable vessels to the anti-submarine forces. In the melees at Jutland we had fewer than 20 destroyers sunk or even seriously damaged, it was light cruisers – larger and more visible – that took the brunt of the flotillas night fighting with the Germans. This was an unexpected result of improved communications procedures and command vision which helped flotillas stay closer together even in the confused night battles.
    • Finally: as for bringing destroyers from the Grand Fleet, I can tell you, personally and confidentially, that Admiral Jellicoe is not best pleased with that. So we can all see how that unfolds.”
    Any questions?”

“No, sir. Perhaps as I have time to consider the implications for what we are doing here. Otherwise it seems logical and inevitable to move those old ships to secondary duties and ease the manpower situation across the Navy.”

“Then I must go. I am exhausted. Let's find MacPherson to take me to my quarters. Lyons is chasing some administrative matters for me.”

As he opened the door to head down the corridor, Smithy paused and spoke: “Sir, I just want to congratulate you again on your return, and thank you for all you have done, both for the Navy and for getting me this rather unorthodox command.”

Moore smiled in return. “I don't mean to sound like some ancient soothsayer, but some day you'll understand that I am equally grateful to have you and the others and all that you do.”

Last edited:
    England Expects More.... CH 2-4
  • Hard to believe it's been almost two weeks. Sorry about that, I just can't work late so many nights and then think through the story and write coherently. I do know the general direction and now have to let the characters live it out. So, a bit of the story might be a bit boring as they get on with this critical work in the back rooms of Portsmouth Naval Base.

I will try to keep up a flow of bits and pieces, though some might be small, just to keep myself up to date on the story. Some of the next few parts will not be very thrilling - really just connectors to put people, places, and things into the story. But I will try to build in enough interest to keep you from falling asleep while reading.

=== ===
    CHAPTER 2 Part 4: England Expects More....

FOUR

It was dark outside, and Vice Admiral Moore, in flannel pyjamas and housecoat, was settling into an armchair to read before bed. Here in his quarters, his valet and steward took care of his needs and the steward would be taking on the job of helping him get around during working hours. And as weary as he felt, he had a job and it was time to get back to work.

PO MacPherson appeared holding a message form. “It's late, sir, but a messenger just brought this.”

“Thank you. What can be so important at this hour?”

“It's from the Admiralty. Day after tomorrow you and Commander Torrance Smythe are to meet 1stSL at 0930, before going to NID. There's no reason given.”

“Admiral Jackson wants to see Smithy too?”

“Yes, sir. He's named in the signal.”

“Very well. Make note and forward to Smithy. He'll just have to make sure he gets an early train.”

“Aye aye, sir.”

“MacPherson, before you go, I would like thank you for all you have done these past few weeks. You've been a tower of strength to me personally as I have gotten more mobile and pulled my household together. And you have been a welcome touchstone to the work of the past two years, indeed to a past life at sea. Now as you go back to working with Smithy and the team on this U-boat menace, I have something to ask you. And I must tell you in advance that I do not need an answer right away.”

“Yes, sir. Of course, sir.”

“You have more than earned a promotion, afloat and ashore. The choice is yours between CPO now, and likely Warrant Officer soon if you continue on as you have, or to accept His Majesty's Commission – which might very briefly be as Sub-Lieutenant, but your years of service would qualify you as Lieutenant. And after that, who knows?”

“Sir! Thank you. Er.... Thank you for that. I can give you an answer right now....”

“Are you sure? Please know that the offer is open, you can consider which you prefer.”

“Yes, sir. I have, sir. You see, sir, Davy and I, er...I mean CPO Davies and I, sir, have discussed this over pints. Cooper and Jones too for that matter, sir. And, I can't speak officially for the others but we all kind of figure it this way: even admirals, beggin' your pardon, sir, generally respect a Warrant Officer but there are t'ousands and t'ousands of Lieutenants in the RN, and one more risen from the ranks...er...might have a job of work to be recognized on his ability, if I can say it that way. So, sir, my preference would be to continue in the ranks rather than a Commission. If it's up to me, sir.”

“Well said, and I believe a wise choice. I have come to know you well enough that I was fairly sure you would prefer that. Very well, I will advance the matter with the 2nd Lord's office, and get the formalities sorted as soon as I can. There were some details left undone because I wanted to offer you the choice – so please keep it to yourself for a few days.”

“Yes, sir. Thank you, sir.” MacPherson paused, and cocked his head slightly. “Sir, beggin' your pardon, you're planning to offer the others something the same, aren't you?”

Moore laughed. “Yes, I am. You might as well know, all of you, that your work on FACT was... 'highly meritorious' I believe they call it...and if we have more of that coming then you all may need all the respect and attention you can get.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“Thank you, and now I must bid you good night. Simkins* is here with my tray and he has the responsibility for my care and feeding so I must not disappoint him.”

“Good night, Admiral.” MacPherson came briefly and unobtrusively to attention, then turned and left.

Settling in with his cup of warm cocoa Moore considered the morrow with its trip to London for the meeting the day following with Blinker Hall to discuss Naval Intelligence. Of course he would see Admiral Jackson if he could elbow his way in...an idea which brought some amusement, for he was on the top of the First Sea Lord's priorities these days.

He was dozing as Simkins returned. “Sir, sir, let's get you to bed for a comfortable sleep. I've had a hot water bottle in it for a while so it'll be nice and cozy. MacPherson warned me that if you fall asleep here in your chair you'll be most uncomfortable all day tomorrow.”

“Very well, Simkins, I do feel my head nodding, and you have a point. Give me a hand, will you.”

Simkins refrained from saying that the aches and pains from falling asleep in the chair would have made Moore a growly bear to deal with all day, and was quite content with holding back his sigh of relief.

==
    *Fictional steward.

Last edited:
    England Expects More.... CH 3-1
  • CHAPTER 3 Part 1: England Expects More....

ONE

“Good morning everyone. I am pleased to see you all here at 4 bells – coffee and some kind of toast will be along momentarily. I do know some of you have trains to catch, but early and late hours are to be our fare. I am circulating a page for each of you to see with weekly details of recent losses to U-boats. As you can guess, it is at the highest grade of secrecy. Suffice to say that if you reveal anything to anyone, your next posting will be to a powder barge in hades that will have you yearning for command of a broken sledge in the Antarctic.” Heads variously shook or nodded as their owners scanned the page or heard the warning, or just turned to gaze at the ceiling. The RNR officers, veterans of substantial careers in the Merchant Service, all took on a curiously similar and melancholy stare through the walls to an invisible horizon.

Torrance Smythe continued: “as you can see, none of us can waste any time. In fact, we will consider ourselves as if on active patrol at sea rather than ashore, and govern our work vs. the possibility of eating and sleeping against that. You will note that I made no mention of anything other than those three things. A few of us have wives or parents living nearby, and sometimes we might even get to say hello to them. But don't count on it. When you do get to go home at night you will be knackered, and due back here soon.

“Here, I'll take back that page.

“Now, Cabot, Parker, and Weldon, and your new assistants: for the rest that's Sub-Lieutenants Jenkins,* Talbot,* and Bothy,* my left to right – do I have that correct?” Smithy gestured to the left side of the room, where the RNR officers were also congregated. The three new officers, two young and one oddly older, all nodded. “Very well. I'll meet with each of you when you get back from your trip. For now a quick summary and off you all go.

“I know you spent half the night reading the reports by the torpedo School on U-boat torpedo attacks. Time is short but do you have anything significant to report to us? Weldon?”

Lieutenant Weldon, senior of the RNR officers, glanced at Cabot and Parker before speaking. “Sir, they all read pretty much as we discussed – no surprises in how it works out. Ships steam along and there are just a few possibilities.
    • First, they see a torpedo coming just before it hits, or it's night and they don't see it. Either way they get sunk. If its from farther away they might steer in an attempt to avoid, but usually it's too late.
    • Second, they see a submarine on the surface and try to out run it – and it's gun – or they see a periscope and try to run away, forcing the sub to let them go or surface to pursue. Submerged subs only catch the slowest of ships. The only thing we can see is that the faster the ship, the more likely it can move off into darkness or squalls before a surfaced sub can catch them.
    • Third, there is some kind of escort or armed merchant ship around when a sub is sighted, and that often seems to force a sub to stay submerged. In that case, the ship usually escapes. Again, cases vary depending on visibility and the speed of the ships involved.
    • The only thing we can say is that the past few weeks have smashed the ancient law of the sea: you don't rush over to pick up survivors unless you want to become one.”
    “Very well. Much as expected. We'll have to look at what happens with gun attacks – and how effective they are. Barky, what can you give us for background on gun attacks?"

"We will need to know how much the Germans use them." Barky paused. "For submariners, giving up the safety of being submerged is something you do if you get a payoff for it, but it is nice to be invisible. At sea out beyond the Scillies they are a long way from home; how many torpedoes do they carry? If there is less risk of being confronted, they might want to use their gun and save torpedos."

Smithy grimaced at this. "That would explain the continuing increase in our losses. They don't have to go home for torpedoes after a couple of days. Gun attacks were not just because of cruiser rules." Smithy shook his head in frustration at adding new factors to consider. "Fine. We are here to get new information, now we just have to use it.

"Perhaps the interview teams can pick up something else in direct interviews with the masters and mates – both survivors and those who escaped. Teams to Liverpool, Southampton and Portsmouth, and Plymouth, with a possible trip to Bristol for the latter. Good luck to you all. Weldon, you'll be here at Southampton docks, but I only need a report if you or any of the others find something urgent.”

“Aye, sir. Thank you, sir,” Weldon replied for them all, as they filed out to head for trains, with Weldon and Sub-Lt. Bothy meeting a driver to take them to their first meeting. They would be missing the coffee.

===
    *Fictional officers, all are brand new RNVR.

Last edited:
    England Expects More.... CH 3-2
  • CHAPTER 3 Part 2: England Expects More....

TWO

“Now then, before we go on. I didn't want to discuss this in front of the new men, but what happened at the RNVR recruiting? We were expecting those three, plus a couple to help with the analysis and other odd jobs. Admiral Moore sent a request, and called by telephone personally.”

Walke and Robinson looked at each other in shared disappointment. Walke spoke first: “sir, we were too late. They had already assigned most to be trained for new anti-submarine escorts, or to replace other junior officers so they could go hunt U-boats.”

Robinson continued the explanation: “Our security is too good. No one knows who we are or what we are doing. They told us pretty sharply: 'These men are already assigned to vessels fighting U-boats. We have put Admiral Moore's request at the top of the list for the next class, and once again he can have all the men who can be spared from operational vessels.' So with some jaw-boning...”

“He means his solicitor-style silver tongue,” Walke interjected.

“...we were lucky to get two: young Talbot, whom someone thought lacked a bit for authority – have you heard his squeaky voice? – and Jenkins only because he hurt his arm in physical training. Then Leonard here got chatting with Bothy, who seemed quite out of place, and I persuaded them to let us have him on account of his age.”

“He's over 40, plays in a symphony orchestra, and has maybe lived a bit, so I thought he might be able to help in some way or another.” Walke looked down, waiting for the response he knew was coming.

“Symphony orchestra? A musician?” Lieutenant Commander Imrie inquired with raised eyebrows.

“Music has patterns and rhythms, and they ebb and flow, at least as I understand music. It's not the ebb and flow of the tides, but it seemed he might have a head on his shoulders.” Walke was somewhere between chagrined and defiant. “And we got a third man.”

Smithy nodded. “Needs must and all that, and it worked. Thank you both. Who knows? If music does ebb and flow like the tides, maybe he will bring us something other than entertainment.”

“Aah... coffee's here,” Imrie interjected again as a steward wheeled a trolley into the room.

“Not a moment too soon, thank you steward, and please tell CPO Davies we are ready for him.” As he took the first cup, Smithy continued: “I asked Davies to catch us up on how the building has been going.”

England Expects More.... CH 3-3
  • CHAPTER 3 Part 3: England Expects More....

THREE

“Now to the main business of the morning: where are we with the grand table? It's CPO Davies' domain, so I asked him to fill us in. Davies?”

“Sir!”

Davies, who had been standing back, stepped to the centre and came briefly to attention before he spoke: “Sirs. Overall construction is almost done. It was all pretty basic really. There are a few issues to address today, and then the lads and the civilian carpenters will work the rest of the day and tonight to have it ready as soon as tomorrow morning.

“Sirs, as we see it, I mean Jones, MacPherson, and Cooper, and I see it, this is for you to study submarine attacks, whatever that takes, not to play scenarios of commanding officers through handling enemy confrontations at sea, like we did with the Grand Fleet.

“And so, sirs, from previous experience with the Fleet Action Control Tables at Scapa we have various markers for weather and visibility conditions, and can fit out to vary lighting as required, and can probably put other things together as we see the need. But, sirs, you see, what we really need is to determine three things:
    • First, what will the table actually represent? What will be seen? Is it from the bridge of a ship, or of a U-boat? From an aeroplane flying high above? Once we decide, we can finish the main construction.
    • Second, what will the scale be? Similar to the viewpoint, will this cover many miles and potentially many ships, or just the range of visibility from a single ship? We think we have an answer, but it needs to be confirmed. This will determine what kinds of markers or other bits and bobs we need.
    • Third, are communications an issue? We have not done extensive work on this because unlike FACT at Scapa communications are not a concern – at least not yet, or so far as we have been told. So we figure that we can go forward without, and have signaling be added later if needed.
    “That's about it, sirs. The other POs are standing by to review all these issues in as much detail as required as soon as this meeting is over. Thanks you, sirs.”

“Well done, Davies. So there we have the rest of the job for now: what do we need to study and how? I have to chase some administrative matters, and then go up to London to the Admiralty. So Barky and Imrie I would like you two, as experienced operators, to review this with Davies and the crew. Those matters have to be settled today.”

Smithy looked around. “Walke and Robinson, do you have anything critical lined up?”

At this, Walke looked up from a piece of paper he was spindling in his hands. “I have nothing, sir. I just have the odd feeling that we are missing some basic element – so I was hoping to have some time to review the summary notes we have on the entire U-boat war so far, just so I can know a bit more to talk with Barky about submarines and how they work.”

“Very well. Robinson: please sit in with Barky and Imrie as much as you can. Consider what Leonard just said, and listen – put the story together just like preparing a brief where you don't have all the pieces.”

“Aye, sir. Most court cases are like that. else you wouldn't have to go to court.”

“Leonard, you do just as you propose – and then meet with Barky later today, or tonight if needed. Imrie will be going over to the dockyard, so he might not be around from noon until tea time. I'll be going with him if I am available.

“And Barky – be on the lookout for something like he said – something we are all overlooking. When we finally see it, that may very well be the key.”

England Expects More.... CH 3-4
  • Sorry folks. Desktop machine took itself off the internet for a few days.
    Doggone thing is too smart for me! Can I borrow a large mallet from someone?

==
    CHAPTER 3 Part 4: England Expects More....

FOUR

Commander Torrance Smythe led the way to the main hall where the big table was being constructed. Lieutenant Commanders Imrie and Barker were with him while Lieutenant Robinson took a short detour to pick up a foolscap pad for his notes. CPO Davies used that time to send their few civilian carpenters for a tea break.

They stood looking at the chaos of construction, with the main outline of the table and its access hatches clear, while on one side the plaster dust showed where a wall had been removed. When Robinson caught up with them, Smithy spoke: “I will leave you to sorting this – but my thought is to keep it simple and adaptable for now. We will know more later – we hope – and adjust from there. Good luck. Davies: it's your show.” With that, he turned and left.

“Thank you, sir.” Davies spoke to the officers with confidence. “Sirs, here is our layout as most of you have seen when you've been peeking in at us, and the sketches we have circulated. The only remaining issue is as I said: what is the point of view and the scale. I will ask PO Cooper to speak about the first of those. Cooper?”

Somewhat less at ease than Davies at speaking up to the officers, Cooper was nevertheless quite ready. “Sirs, I watched many sessions at FACT in Scapa, and 'ave been thinking about this 'ere table. And I think that we are trying too 'ard, if I can put it that way. What we call the scale of the table, like a chart, is just the rule we chalk out along the side. I think that we can vary the scale anytime, once we decide the viewpoint. On a flat open ocean table, we change scale just by drawing a different scale along the side for quick reference – and using a different size circle to show visibility – in fact we are thinking of rings, like wooden 'oops – around a ship.” He paused to concentrate on what he said. “Large scale – small h-oop to show what an individual ship can see. Small scale – large h-oop to show what it can see. Night – smaller circle of visibility, and so on like that. Sirs.”

Heads were nodding as he spoke. Wilson Imrie was first to speak: “Yes. And each type of ship can see differently, or if they have a higher crows nest, or whatever. Very good, Cooper. A range of hoop sizes and we can show what visibility we want.”

Robinson followed with a smile: “Yes. Keeping it simple is what works. Barky?”

Barker was nodding. “Agreed. Thinking too hard about it would bring more problems.”

Davies spoke up: “Very good, sirs. We'll build for the accessories and not the table to adapt to scale. Now about the point of view, CPO Jones has been considering what this means.”

Jones was more confident. “Sirs, like Cooper, I think we want to keep it simple – at least until we know something specific that we want to build. We can't hold up while waiting to figure it out. So that leaves us markers for visibility, like smoke and fog and squalls, and model ships. Nothing really new there except a few sets of ships built as single blocks so as to be easy to show as flotillas or squadrons. The only truly new idea we have is to build a little table in a little room with a hole and a stool in the middle – the captain sitting in there would have his head at table-top level. If you think that might be useful, we can start work on it.”

Imrie, showing clearly that he had been in the anti-submarine contest for a large part of the war, spoke first: “Yes. We have to keep moving. But, that last idea will help us see the submarine side of the games.”

Barker nodded silently as Robinson added: “Yes. Go on, and with that little table with the stool. Time is of the essence. As with all we are doing it is as Voltaire said: The perfect is the enemy of the good.

Davies was a bit taken aback at this ready agreement to their proposals. “Sirs. Is there.... We can proceed with this as proposed, but, is there anything else?”

The barrister Robinson was quick to continue, as he glanced at the other two officers. “I don't think so. Not if we are to keep moving forward. Just over two months ago we bashed their battle fleet, and about a month ago they launched a whirlwind from beneath the sea that is causing untold damage to our ability to make war. We have to keep moving forward.”

“Very good, sirs. Thank you. And if I follow on from your comments on those points, and what Commander Torrance Smythe said about keeping it simple, we won't worry about the communications and lighting until we need to. We will build in a few small elements to make later fittings easier, but that won't delay having this operational by tomorrow morning. Well, maybe noon if the paint is slow to dry.”

Imrie spoke for the officers: “Thank you all. Now we just have to figure out what it is we need figure out!”

As they walked along the corridor to their collective working office, Robinson paused. Imrie and Barker came to a stop and looked at him questions clear on their faces. “I can't see what we need to do in there that you guys have not already worked out at sea. I'm a lawyer, not a seagoing officer. I don't hold a watch-keeping certificate, What can that give us?”

Barker answered quickly: “I'm not sure what it will be, but it will let us test out a lot of things in short order. Going to sea to test tactical theories is a slow business. I know with submarines we go out for a day and get two trial runs, sometimes only one of them realistic.”

“I think that's it,” added Imrie. “There might be something else, but it will let us think and work quickly, while conferring together, to figure out what works.”

“It damn well better,” Robinson added as he started walking again.

Last edited:
    England Expects More.... CH 3-5
  • CHAPTER 3 Part 5: England Expects More....

FIVE

“Lyons, we have to get to the train. Is everything ready? What's that in your hand?”

“Sir, it's a note from the Admiralty. The First Lord, Mr. Balfour, would like a brief meeting with you today when you reach London. I've taken the liberty of scheduling it for late this afternoon, just before tea time. That will leave time to visit Admiral Jackson before hand, in case you want to find out what Mr. Balfour might want to see you about.”

“Hmm. Good idea: forewarned and all that. See if Admiral Jackson can see me for a few minutes, please. I can just walk in on him but I'd rather not if it can be helped.”

“Very good, sir.”

== ==

The train was almost restful, and with the aid of his wheelchair, plus Lt. Lyons and a steward, Moore was able to get to his club for lunch and some sleep before reaching the office of the First Sea Lord. Admiral Sir Henry Jackson, in good time.

“Gordon. Do come in. I trust you have been able to negotiate the train travel without undue difficulty?”

“Yes, sir. My energy gets a bit better, and the chair is a substitute for expending too much effort on needless waiting or even locomotion. And if truth be told it is a tonic to have a solid job upon which to get down to work.”

As 1SL, Admiral Jackson was as much a diplomat as a naval commander, so he kept silent on how drawn and weary Moore looked – to say nothing of the clear effort he was making to put strength in his voice and his words. He recognized the signs of a man wanting to do his all – not wanting to be convalescing in the countryside while the real crisis was upon them.

“Of course Lieutenant Lyons is helpful and I tip the porters well for their assistance. On the London end, I had an additional steward lined up to help me get around for today and tomorrow. Rank hath its privileges....”

“Indeed. Now, I am sure that you asked to see me in order to find out what Mr. Balfour wishes to see you about – but I have no idea. All I can say is that he was most precise in specifying the time he would be available to meet with you, but that he has not yet entered the building.”

“Very good, sir. The Prime Minister already told me that I could have any help I needed, and I don't know what else it might be. What about liaison with the French anti-submarine command?”

“Perhaps the French, but he's made the political contacts and we're working on the details from here. In fact I hope to hear from them as soon as today or tomorrow. They've been a bit reluctant to part with some of their small number of specialists – let alone one who fits into your staff. So don't expect a large team. It might be something you and I can talk about in the morning if we have a moment.”

Moore sat quietly for a moment. “It's not numbers that we need, sir, it's ideas.”

“That's why we have you and young Torrance Smythe on the job, Gordon.”

England Expects More.... CH 3-6
  • CHAPTER 3 Part 6: England Expects More....

SIX

It was still early for Moore's appointment with the First Lord, so they passed a few short minutes in admiral's gossip: senior command assignments and the general conduct of the war.

A quick knock was followed by a Captain opening the door and briskly standing aside as a certain Admiral of the Fleet entered, followed by the First Lord, Mr. Arthur Balfour, and an aide in naval uniform with an unusually heavy top hamper of braid. The unexpected visitor brought Admiral Jackson to his feet, and Vice Admiral Moore made to rise form his wheelchair.

“Remain seated, please.” A pause as a hand was held outward to reinforce the command. “I insist.”

“Your Majesty. Thank you.” Moore responded.

“Your Majesty.”

“Admiral Moore I heard that Mr. Balfour was meeting with you today and invited myself along to see how you are doing in your convalescence.”

“Very well, sir. Thank you for enquiring.”

“Whether you like it or not you are both a popular and a very real hero, and so it is my responsibility to ensure that you are doing well and have everything you need. When we met a month and a half ago you were barely sitting up long enough to eat a reasonable meal. It is good to see you doing so well now. I also heard of the job you have taken on, voluntarily I might add, and am here to express to you my utmost support.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“No thanks required, Admiral Moore. I have routine briefings with the Prime Minister, and I am aware of the dramatic increase in shipping losses. Within these walls I can say that right now you have one of the most important tasks in the British Empire. I know that Admiral Jackson and Mr. Balfour are extending all the assistance they can, even as they continue to pursue other avenues with other pieces of the RN. But, you are the one without any other basic responsibility to distract you. I know that you have a staff of very clever and creative men, but there is one thing I can add which should help to open doors where even Mr. Asquith's edict of similar nature may not reach.

“My equerry has the documentation. This is to authorise you, Vice Admiral Sir Archibald Moore, to make enquiries in my name on any subject such as may be required in the course of your work.”

“Thank you, sir. Thank you very much. I will not abuse that trust, but will use it if it will help us. We do not know where our research may take us, and will not be able to tell those whom we are asking for help. Not everyone will be aware of the vital nature of what we are doing.”

Admiral Jackson chimed in: “Thank you, Your Majesty. We may face times when relatively junior officers of Admiral Moore's staff will need information which is closely held by powerful hands.”

“It is little enough. The fate of the country and the Empire is in your hands.”

The King paused. He spent enough time touring hospitals and convalescent homes to see when a man was straining, possibly endangering himself, to get back to his duty. What could he say without slighting a senior officer, a true hero, who was fighting his injuries to return to the service of the Realm? He realised that it was the responsibility of any officer to look after his men, and Moore was his man.

“Please keep looking after yourself, and make sure to use your staff for as much as you can.”

Moore replied: “Yes, sir. I have a good steward looking after my every need.”

“Good. And I hope the quacks are also continuing to take good care of you.” The King glanced at Admiral Jackson, trying to will him to ensure that Moore had all the stewards or sick-berth-attendants or drivers or others that he might need. He continued, attempting a slightly jocular tone: “Somewhere down one of these halls is Surgeon Vice Admiral Sir Arthur May – who is incidentally my honourary physician – mayhap I shall call upon him and make sure he knows I have my eye on your recovery, make sure he finds a sawbones with a top-rank Harley Street practice and currently doing his duty for the RN who can superintend your convalescence."

Moore could not really protest this added attention from his Sovereign, from the King Emperor. “Thank you, Your Majesty. You can assure him that I am being taken care of very well.”

“Gentlemen, once again thank you for the fine work you are doing. Now, I will go in search of Vice Admiral May, and Mr. Balfour can have his planned discussion with you.”

At that, King George turned and left – his naval equerry having slipped out a moment earlier to find Vice Admiral May.

Last edited:
    England Expects More.... CH 3-7
  • CHAPTER 3 Part 7: England Expects More....

SEVEN

Jackson was the first to recover. “Now, Mr. Balfour. You had important matters to discuss.”

“Yes, thank you, Admiral.” Balfour paused a moment to decide which items to go with first.

“First, I have heard from the French and they have promised one of their most experienced anti-submarine officers. They do not know when he will be available, but will try to give the Admiralty more information by the end of the working day tomorrow. It seems the problem is that last week he got his ship sunk from under him, for the second time, and is home in the countryside on a brief leave.”

“That's one kind of experience,” Moore said dryly.

“Yes. Quite.” Balfour added, equally dryly. “Their Minister of Marine says he is considered a very good officer, and very intelligent. He described him as: 'A man to whom you give your problems.' Admiral Moore, I have come to know Rear Admiral Lacaze since he became Minister of Marine, and even with all the trouble we have working out our Mediterranean priorities with the French Navy, he is a solid man. If says he is sending his best, I believe him.”

“Yes, sir. Thank you.”

“Second, I am here to pass on to you, Admiral Jackson, that Cabinet has today approved your request to transfer two fully operational RNAS squadrons of Sopwith 2-seaters from France to Cornwall and County Cork. They have further instructed me to say that the squadrons are to be moved with all dispatch, and to be provided with any replacements or supplies they may require. More may follow if they are found useful for additional anti-submarine patrols. Certainly the preliminary information suggests they are useful.”

“That's good. Thank you.” Jackson hesitated. “We will commence movement forthwith. But what of my request to plan for use of the big new Handley Page bombers for patrols? They have the range and endurance aloft to provide much more effective patrols, and with two engines can be risked farther from shore.”

“I have no favourable answer for you there – they want to use them to strike directly at the Germans, at least for now. Just as they are reluctant to part with the Sopwiths."

Balfour took an extra breath before going on. “Finally, I am here to tell you that Cabinet has discussed convoys and has determined that convoys are not to be considered for our overseas trade. Their disruption of shipping flows and effective capacity would hand the Germans their victory. The idea of every ship waiting for days until the group is ready, and then sailing at the speed of the slowest – and all that kind of argument – has been quite persuasive.”

“The Admiralty has had its doubts about the workability of convoying so many ships, as we have discussed several times,” Admiral Jackson added. “Gordon, the Admiralty analysis of this was to be, is still to be, the main subject of our meeting tomorrow morning with your Commander Torrance Smythe.”

Balfour continued: “Very good. I leave the operational discussions to you, and merely pass on the Cabinet view at this time. That is that while convoys may work for taking troops through war zones, such as across to France or even to the Dardanelles, that is predominantly in the face of potential surface attacks. Against unseen U-boats it will be gathering their prey for them. Unless and until you have some new information, that is the government's decision.”

He paused. “Admiral Jackson my office will pass along additional information for your meeting tomorrow – the document is being prepared even now. And with that, gentlemen, I should go in pursuit of the King and try to make sure he doesn't get up to any further royal mischief here at the Admiralty.”

England Expects More.... CH 3-8 The Cast
  • As the story has developed, so has the cast of characters. I have a list, but it is harder to keep track of them (and sometimes the names they have used in earlier sections!) as time goes along. And there will be more, with some making short appearances and others having major roles. So here is a list which I believe to be correct, at this time. There are a few notations and it is split into useful sections.

The cast of England Expects More (as at the end of Ch 3.):

== Actual Persons
    Vice Admiral Archibald Gordon Henry Wilson Moore
    Admiral Sir Henry Bradwardine Jackson (1SL)
    His Majesty King George V
    Prime Minister Herbert Asquith
    First Lord of the Admiralty Arthur Balfour

== Fictional Persons
    Commander Louis Francis Torrance Smythe (Smithy)
    Lieutenant Joseph Leonard Triggs Walke (gunnery, mathematician)
    Lieutenant Commander John Barker (Barky) (submariner)
    Lieutenant Commander Wilson James Imrie RNR (mine sweeping, coastal navigation)
    Lieutenant Robinson RNVR (experienced solicitor)

Lieutenant Cabot RNR
    Lieutenant Parker RNR
    Lieutenant Weldon RNR
    Sub-Lieutenant Jenkins RNVR (yachtsman)
    Sub-Lieutenant Talbot RNVR (very young, no nautical exp.)
    Sub-Lieutenant Bothy RNVR (older, musician)

Chief Petty Officer Davyd James Davies (Davy; Davy Davy) (senior)
    Chief Petty Officer Huw Alwyn Jones
    Petty Officer William (Willie) Cooper (creative)
    Petty Officer Malcolm John MacPherson
    Steward Simkins

== Finished in the storyline (I think)
    Captain John Frederick Ernest Green
    Warrant Officer Lauchlin Daniel MacDougall

Last edited:
    England Expects More.... CH 4-1
  • CHAPTER 4 Part 1: England Expects More....

ONE

“Good morning, Barkey. Have a cup of this coffee Jones made. It'll wake you or kill you.”

“Thank you, Wilson, I'll do just that. As a submariner I can attest that there is no coffee on earth that doesn't taste wonderful after swilling gallons of the stuff we drink on patrol.”

“Last night before he left for London I had a chat with Smithy. We reviewed what to do with the tables, and it seems that for now we just need to sort out some foundational work on what happens when a U-boat meets a ship in different kinds of circumstances.”

“So that's where you the surface operator and I the submariner come into it?”

“Precisely. The crew can help us roll through a long list of basic scenarios so we can have an idea of how things unfold.”

“You are the boss, I presume, with your RNR commission from Henry VIII, but I propose we split up and make it real attacks by my submarine – at least for the first runs. Davies and the crew know how to run scenarios and they can help us run a bunch of different models, so that we can develop some understanding.”

“Haha. Yes, RNR often find that a wee bit of gray hair and our dusty old commissions put us in charge. You should know that I discussed that with Smithy and indeed I am administratively the second-in-command. However, while he recognizes the need for seniority sometimes, if and as required, he has a rather modern post-Victorian view and wants us all to work together to get the job done. And since I think you have a splendid idea. We'll tackle it that way.”

Half an hour later they had a general list of scenarios worked out. The list included different scenarios covering different factors, starting with basics such as vessels involved and their characteristics, sea and light conditions, armament (if any), ranges, and on to other adjustments such as proximity of other vessels and anything else they thought might matter.

CPO Jones was assigned control of the schedule and planning, and made the first suggestion for focusing their attention: “Sirs, we have an awful lot to do, and it will take us a few days. We need to divide these like branches of a tree, and start with the most basic scenarios, the main trunks as it were, and do all those first. Then, having learned a bit about what matters, we can branch out into details and changes, and sharpen the rest of our list.”

Imrie nodded. “Sounds like a good idea. And in a day or so we should be getting reports in from Weldon and the others – that will help us fill in the blank spots, or identify new scenarios we need to test.”

PO Cooper, looking at the list, said, “we'll identify what doesn't matter, at least for running scenarios efficiently but also we hope doesn't matter for dealing with U-boat attacks. We keep the basic testing scenario as simple as we can while still covering what we need, and not be distracted. That's how to learn: take a simple scenario and add small changes one at a time. We could drown in details. Sirs.”

Barker spoke in agreement: “Yes, that's excellent, Cooper. There are too many meaningless details, we just have to sort out which ones. You have it right. Keep it simple. Conceptually it really is very simple: the submarine finds and catches and attacks the ship and the ship tries to escape. If it can fight back it will.”

“Very good, then. The first couple of runs will take a bit longer to work through as we get used to your methodology, but after that we'll try to work them out as rapidly as we can.” As he spoke, Imrie realized that even in an egalitarian atmosphere like this, someone still had to wrap up discussions and put them into motion. “Barky and I will each take a second in command: Cooper and MacPherson. Davies you have overall control of making it happen and directing the ratings, assisted by Jones who also monitors what we do and what matters. Lieutenant Robinson will be joining us when he can.”

After seeing nods all around, he spoke again: “Ten minutes to visit the heads and to refill our mugs, then we begin.”

England Expects More.... CH 4-2
  • CHAPTER 4 Part 2: England Expects More....

TWO

Coming up the steps to the Admiralty Smithy was feeling more rested than at any time since Moore had called him barely over a week ago. Was it really? No. Much closer to two weeks. Today he had slept in and had a leisurely breakfast at his parents' home in London, having come up on a late train last night. Life was good.

== ==
    Admiral Moore was in his wheel chair at another entrance with his Flag Lieutenant and a steward when an RNVR Surgeon Commander marched up briskly and stamped to a halt in parade-ground fashion that would have done credit to any Royal Marine Colour Sergeant, giving Moore an equally extravagant salute. Being indoors Moore couldn't properly return it, but the Surgeon Commander was unfazed. “Lieutenant, Steward, please stand away while I have a discussion with Vice Admiral Moore. Make sure no one comes close.”

Quick to recognize an officer with battle ensigns flying, the steward's “aye, aye, sir,” was more imagined than heard as he glided away as smoothly as only a steward can manage.

Lyons' “Aye, sir,” sounded as awkward as it was, as he grabbed his briefcase and moved off.

“Admiral Moore, you no doubt remember me, Doctor Cheltenham. I have been sent by Surgeon Vice Admiral May, at the personal suggestion of His Majesty, to see how you are – and to make sure that you-do-not-die.” Moore made to speak, but Cheltenham went on with intensity. “You are still officially my patient, and I am responsible – a fact which Admiral May made abundantly clear. I have not had what in naval terms would be called 'a strip torn off' like that since I was a second year student and nearly killed a patient by my oversight.”

“Surgeon Comman....”

“Sir, I believe you should address me as 'Doctor' just to keep our roles clearly in perspective. I will not have you die on my watch. It-will-not-happen. You are exhausting yourself, and even at this early hour of the day when you should be at your well-rested best you look no better than when I last saw you two weeks ago. Sir, if I may put it plainly, I patched your rips and rents and put back together parts that should never be asunder....”

Moore had to give a chuckle at this – a bit of humour along with a bollocking. He did know that Cheltenham was a good surgeon – the best, they all said.

“...however you have a long road to get out of the woods, or safely ashore if you prefer, and be able to just live comfortably and with reasonable physical capacity. Your ultimate recovery will not be to the state of health and vigour to which you have been accustomed. We have discussed that. You know that if you ever go to sea it will be as a passenger.” He heaved a deep breath. Moore had not counterattacked. “Sir, I know you want to do this job. Admiral May told me what you are working on. If you want to continue, then you will do as I say, sir.”

“Tell me what you propose, Comm... Doctor.”

“Sir, this is not a proposal, it is a clear prescription from your doctor. It is the set of conditions under which your doctor will permit you to continue with light duties.”

“Very well.” Moore was on a three legged stool: chagrin at being pulled up like this, frustration at recognizing that Doctor Cheltenham was right, and desperation with the desire to lead his team – because he just knew that at some point there would be a key to the puzzle.

“Before that. Your men are keeping others at bay, so please allow me to feel your pulse, and check your lungs.” A stethoscope had magically appeared in Dr. Cheltenham's hands. Moore sat quietly while Cheltenham felt his pulse briefly, then pressed the instrument against his back. “That's it sir, just lean forward a bit and take slow deep breaths. Very well.”

“Sir, you are recovering well, very well for your age, but much more slowly than might a man half your age. And for that you need rest and modest activity.” He grimaced. “You see that 'modest activity' as your lever to act as you have been doing, but you have gone too far this past week. And your meetings today – which I agree may go forward – will exhaust you. So we must slow you down a bit. As your strength builds in the coming days and weeks we can extend your range slowly and as may seem prudent.

“First, sir, you will for the time being restrict yourself to quarters with the exception of three half-days per week when you may attend meetings at your offices or other convenient locations. We will extend that as may seem advisable. You may take copious fresh air as weather and other factors permit, but you must keep the stress and strain as low as possible. Psychological stresses seem to impede recoveries almost as if physical stresses – so bear that in mind. Sir.

“Second, sir, you may meet with your second-in-command and one other at your quarters on the alternate days of the week, but for no more than a half day, less would be better. If others must also attend these meetings, then no more than four and no more than one hour for the larger group.

Third, sir, you will have a full-time sick berth attendant assigned to you. He will be with you wherever you go, and he will report directly to me twice daily. He will meet you at your quarters in Portsmouth tomorrow morning. You will find that he is a very good man, mature, and with a quiet and assured way about him. He is the best SBA in the RN.”

Cheltenham paused, and smiled. “Sir, David Malcolmson* is retired from almost 50 years practice as a veterinary...you can laugh but he knows a lot of medicine and can read man or beast exceedingly well, no matter what they do or do not tell him. The Army would not take him as a vet – but he's an old friend of my parents who wanted to help. I thought his insight and wisdom, to say nothing of his medical skills, would help many injured get back on their feet.” At this, he paused again and stood back. “Sir, I will do all in my power to have you back on duty, but now is just too soon.”

“Very well. Doctor.” Moore had to repress a smile. Cheltenham might be a surgeon, but was a pretty good naval psychologist too. “I will follow your prescriptions, and Dr. Malc..., he is a doctor of veterinary I presume?” Cheltenham nodded. “And Dr. Malcolmson's recommendations – as long as they do not include playing fetch and chasing foxes. If he is indeed wise in the ways of the world then maybe he will also become a valuable member of my team.”

Cheltenham put his hat back on, signaling to Lyons that he was making ready to leave. “Sir, while I am at your call at any time, you will find that Sick Berth Petty Officer Dr. Malcolmson is widely read and learned in many fields, and plays a solid game of chess.” With that he went back to his Royal Marine imitation and threw a perfect salute, caring not that it was quite inappropriate indoors, and stamped and wheeled away.

Moore smiled in spite of himself. It looked as if Dr. Cheltenham had watched too many guardsmen at the Changing of the Guard!

== ==
    *Dr. David Malcolmson is a ficticious character.

England Expects More.... CH 4-3
  • CHAPTER 4 Part 3: England Expects More....

THREE

Barker and Imrie were walking – taking a turn around the outside of the building in fact – and speaking in low tones.

“How many hours have we been at this? How many hours and days to go?” John Barker was only patient when his submarine was stalking a victim, so he continued with as much of an answer s they had. “I guess it will depend on how many scenarios we have to run, and how long each will take. That is something we won't know until we have sorted a smooth and efficient way to run them. I think that means we find the parts that matter and standardize the rest.”

“That's pretty much what we are doing, if you look at the program Davies and Jones have listed.” Wilson Imrie was less frustrated, but only because he had braced himself for this to take time, maybe a few days. “We've been missing something in the way we follow through on the merchant ship side of your submarine attacks.”

“I agree. Some of the runs seem to end too suddenly, or something. It doesn't feel right.”

“Maybe it's just that we aren't at sea so when we get past the part that we want to examine we call a halt – instead of worrying for hours that the U-boat is stalking us?” Imrie, RNR, had years at sea in his civilian career and was more in tune with the concerns of a captain.

“Yes, that could well be it. Probably is. I am used to the tension rising to a crescendo and then down again, not this repetition.” They walked in silence for a moment.

Imrie came to a sudden halt. “Depth bombs. You've seen the new depth bombs? Heard of them at least?”

“Yes, I read the official signal to submariners, and we had a short briefing.” British submariners had been told of the fearsome new depth charges – a pair of which were being mounted on every RN destroyer – and sailed in fear of the Germans figuring out something similar. “They have been used in action, but they are semi-secret and we haven't been told all that much about them, Haven't been told if the huns have developed anything similar, either.” Barker was pensive a moment as he pondered the use of such a weapon against him while submerged. “Can we simulate their effect in our table trails?”

“I think a few have been used against U-boats. We can check. As far as the simulation, I bet if we get PO Cooper working on it he'll come up with something.”

“Good morning, gents, erm, sirs,” Robinson greeted them as he arrived back from his trip to the administration building. “I'm a landlubber learning all this as we go along – and so I was just asked if we wanted a live demonstration of the new depth bombs. I said yes. They said day after tomorrow. Does that sound good? Can I send confirmation?”

Barker looked at Imrie as he replied: “I'd love to see it, and it's an important new weapon that we need to understand better.”

Imrie nodded. “Yes. We'll go. Can we bring Davies and the other POs, as well as.... Hmm. Ask them how many we can bring, but if they get stingy about it tell them we really need to have 10 or so. Smithy will be back. Hard to think the Admiral would go.”

“The Old Man would love to, but he'd never negotiate gangways and ladders,” Barker said as he shook his head. “Walke will be thrilled. He loves to add real experience – he calls it empirical observations – to his data.”

“Say, Barky, what's Leonard up to this morning? Is he still out gathering data on weapon performance?”

“Yes, things like the depth bombs, depth charges they are calling them, and interviewing all the experts and collecting all the technical briefs and memos he can find. He puzzles me sometimes. We get our hands on things and just work them out, but he does a lot in his head.”

Robinson hesitated, then spoke. “Sirs, I think I understand that part of him fairly well. Consider this. As a solicitor I think of everything in precise description, so a judge or jury can know exactly what is meant – or not if obfuscation is what you are trying to achieve. But, it is all about precision in language and grammar. If you cannot write it out clearly then you yourself don't know what you are saying. Leonard Walke is the same – but with numbers. Just as I see the words, he sees numbers and quantities, and relates them to each other in his mind. I bet he would say that if you cannot measure or count it, or something like that, then you don't know what you have or what you are doing with it.”

They all thought about this for a moment, then Imrie brought them back to the present. “Right then, let's get back to work. First we'll tell the crew about the depth bombs, and see what they think about including them in the weapons for escorts – when we get up to the point of including escorts.”

Last edited: