Empire of New Castille

The Philippines should try to use the Japanese Civil War to annex the Ryukuu Islands
It will probably piss off the Japanese without much to show from it (pissed Japanese would boycott Filipino goods more than they already do with foreign trade).

A war would only be probable when there's a diplomat who would make a big fuss of a violent incident and a government who would have been receptive of it, hence making a situation similar to the War of Jenkin's ear.
Which is why Mindanao unconquered will be a weak spot for Philippines. With the past updates, I have a feeling that the Dutch - Philippine relations are deteriorating (making friends with British, gone to war on the British side (Opium and North American War), the growing Philippine navy (colony of Batavia is a coastal colony) and lately I imagine that the Dutch spies will not be happy with the British heir to Philippine throne, buying up of Borneo and the possible final nail in the coffin, the Javan interference.
Yeah, but Philippines rolling d20 on that particular issue would put a real bummer on the morally ambiguous set-up and supposedly wobbly pedestal this wank timeline is already written with.

Here goes the second Battles of La Naval!

Last edited:
Yeah, but Philippines rolling d20 on that particular issue would put a real bummer on the morally ambiguous set-up and supposedly wobbly pedestal this wank timeline is already written with.

Well, the Philippines has a a favored nation for this battle....if Andres plays it well in the diplomatic game (he can convince this nation to take the Dutch ships south of Singapura and the coastal towns north of Sumatra, or even the whole island of Sumatra (thus, controlling completely the malacca straits) while he takes the Java island. That is if this certain nation wants it. (My goodness! look at the opportunity, full control of the Malaccas!)

If Philippines/favored nation wins against Dutch....well, ATL Indonesia boundaries will be very different (and interestingly, the resulting post colonial nations have their own old precolonial culture to preserve. Srivijaya of Sumatra and Majapahit of Java.)

PS:
Oh my goodness...I just realized something, if Philippines/special nation would drive away the Dutch once and for all...well, that means they have now the monopoly or influence of a resource that had sent the European traders like dogs on a scent to Asia (and ironically, one of the reasons why Magellan found the Philippines). The Spice resource of Maluku islands......Favoured nation, you'd be missing the opportunity if you don't agree to Andres offer of a war against the Dutch. (and keep in mind that Philippines is the junior partner of favored nation and through Phil, they will still have a greater access to the Spices without the dutch controlling it

Last edited:
So, Intramuros had been transformed into the palace grounds/complex.....That's quite interesting actually. Especially when it is finished, Andres and the future monarchs would be residing in this area. Since it would be palace of the monarchs, I was expecting European styled architecture, considering that the heir would be British. (though I remembered that Andres values frugality and I'm thinking if that's the case, have the buildings outside of Intramuros be the cheaper architecture while the palace complex itself would be more the expensive pombaline architecture). I'm also assuming Intramuros will be purely a residential area for him and the future leaders? Or are there exempted government building that can be built inside the complex (like the House of Parliament etc).

Of course, Cebu, being the coal island of the Philippines at this time, is the the most likely island that will have the problems of coal dependent economy (health problems and such). I'm glad that they have the Imperial Medical Research Facility (and I guess this is the 1st medical research facility of SEA or even Asia?)....Hehehe, no construction of big hospitals? With the medical research facility also located there, Cebu might also be the go-to-city for the best training for medical researchers, medical doctors and other healthcare workers (this might also lead to an earlier founded medical school that produces the nation's best healthcare graduates (an earlier ATL version of Velez College for medtechs and CIM for physicians)
Andres does not have a palace completed yet. But he is stingy/frugal. The government buildings outside Intramuros are Portuguese Pombaline. The walls of intramuros are european polygon, while the interior will be Asian.

Alfred was not considered when the transformation happened since the transformation gradually happened since 1823.

European Palaces are quite since you got to hire a bit more European engineers. The materials are going to be expensive. Wood is cheaper, Chinese workers and engineers are cheaper. Andres is not going to spend that much for a palace not unless he gets an overflowing of cash. Alfred make a new palace since Intramuros was vacated and got a lot free spaces to build upon.

The advantage of ancient Chinese architecture is resistance to earthquake. OTL video showing how Ancient Chinese architecture withstood an intensity 10 with only the brick or stone walls giving up. This is due to flexibility of engineering and wood materials used. But Andres and the Chinese and European contemporaries dont know this exact capability. They only know by experience that ancient Chinese architecture can withstand earthquakes.

There are big hospitals in Cebu city being one of the major cities of the empire.

Ok, at least the growing needs of the empire are addressed. Philippines needs wood for their buildings/shipbuilding and coal for their rising industrial needs. So I assumed that they shelved the conquest of Mindanao again (why do i have the feeling it will bite them back later? mindanao unconquered will leave the visayas/northern mindanao vulnerable. in the past updates, the Dutch knew that Philippines merchants were selling weapons to Javanese and Balinese but are there instances that it was the other way around? (Dutch smuggling weapons for the Moros. I guess with the more stronger Philippines (unlike the weaker Phil in OTL) to the north and the Carolians to the east, I would imagine the Moros themselves would be pressured to do more desperate measures like smuggling western weapons from the Dutch or even British, least they get absorbed by their stronger neighbor. I'm surprised that the Moros never tried peace negotiations with the Carolians and teamed up together against Philippines once they noticed Philippines getting more powerful with its navy and military.

So, Philippines has plans to purchase New Guinea, hmmmm.....that's so far hahaha but I can imagine the possible reaches of the 2nd colonial expansion of ATL Philippines. By that end, I'm already waiting for chap 30.

PS:

So, I guess Cathedral of the Archangels (our title for this chap) will be a bigger basilica than the one in Intramuros and other international catholic churches? Nice! Frankly, I rather find it hard to believe haha. Even bigger than the Brazil Cathedral? I guess Brazil would possibly make theirs even larger (after all, it was built in 1950s) after Phil.
Seville and Milan and Rome Cathedrals were old so the point of comparison would be those older.

Mindanao has been delayed even when compared to OTL. By this time the Spanish were already creeping down south of Mindanao.

The Philippines should try to use the Japanese Civil War to annex the Ryukuu Islands

It will probably piss off the Japanese without much to show from it (pissed Japanese would boycott Filipino goods more than they already do with foreign trade).

A war would only be probable when there's a diplomat who would make a big fuss of a violent incident and a government who would have been receptive of it, hence making a situation similar to the War of Jenkin's ear.

The Japanese are not yet in Civil war. Bakamatsu has not happened yet.

Well, the Philippines has a a favored nation for this battle....if Andres plays it well in the diplomatic game (he can convince this nation to take the Dutch ships south of Singapura and the coastal towns north of Sumatra, or even the whole island of Sumatra (thus, controlling completely the malacca straits) while he takes the Java island. That is if this certain nation wants it. (My goodness! look at the opportunity, full control of the Malaccas!)

If Philippines/favored nation wins against Dutch....well, ATL Indonesia boundaries will be very different (and interestingly, the resulting post colonial nations have their own old precolonial culture to preserve. Srivijaya of Sumatra and Majapahit of Java.)
The Dutch as of 1840 OTL had 9 Ships of the line(2 are 84 guns, the rest are 74 guns and below) and 25 Frigates. ATL Philippines navy got 4 ships of the line and 16 frigates as of 1840. Dutch got eastindiamen (equivalent to 4th rate) that are also armed but smaller than the Imperial Galleons(1st rates). Philippines also got more sloops and cutters. Philippine navy is bottom heavy in terms of number of ships.

But it is 1852 now. Philippines got a lot to improve in terms of ships from 1840 while the Dutch are more optimized. Philippines also got the advantage of concentration of forces in this side of the world.

Andres does not have a palace completed yet. But he is stingy/frugal. The government buildings outside Intramuros are Portuguese Pombaline. The walls of intramuros are european polygon, while the interior will be Asian.

Alfred was not considered when the transformation happened since the transformation gradually happened since 1823.
OK, that makes sense.....there was no time specified and so I thought the renovation started in 1850s as following the chap title year.
But it is 1852 now. Philippines got a lot to improve in terms of ships from 1840 while the Dutch are more optimized. Philippines also got the advantage of concentration of forces in this side of the world.
We'll see it in chap 30 then :3

OK, that makes sense.....there was no time specified and so I thought the renovation started in 1850s as following the chap title year.

I've heard about a Swedish born inventor named Johan Ericsson who in OTL moved to the US in 1839 and was one of the leading inventors of modern Steam engines as well as the Ironclad.

I've heard about a Swedish born inventor named Johan Ericsson who in OTL moved to the US in 1839 and was one of the leading inventors of modern Steam engines as well as the Ironclad.
Don't forget that Commander Perry himself recommended upgrading the technology of the US Navy (hence the father of Steam Navy). Interesting....because a decade from now (1860 - 1890s) would be the era of the steam ships. I did tell Namayan that Philippine needs to act fast when it comes to shipbuilding techs cause Britain and the other Great Powers will be upgrading its navy within the steam ship era (I'm glad that in the last update, Philippine recognized the need for coal, which would be the fuel of the 1st steam ships).

Now, I'm just waiting for the outcome of the precarious position/set-up that Philippine has within Mindanao and her relations to the Dutch.

after 1850 Alfred will be considered. Andres just need the coin and cash to do so. He wont make those expensive European palaces until he does.

Even in the update Andres was living in the Gurkha quarters. Andres does not have those British court ceremonies to make use of a palace.

Don't forget that Commander Perry himself recommended upgrading the technology of the US Navy (hence the father of Steam Navy). Interesting....because a decade from now (1860 - 1890s) would be the era of the steam ships. I did tell Namayan that Philippine needs to act fast when it comes to shipbuilding techs cause Britain and the other Great Powers will be upgrading its navy within the steam ship era (I'm glad that in the last update, Philippine recognized the need for coal, which would be the fuel of the 1st steam ships).

Now, I'm just waiting for the outcome of the precarious position/set-up that Philippine has within Mindanao and her relations to the Dutch.

The tech has reached the Philippines. But everyone will still be using sailing ships with some steam ships at this point.

after 1850 Alfred will be considered. Andres just need the coin and cash to do so. He wont make those expensive European palaces until he does.

Even in the update Andres was living in the Gurkha quarters. Andres does not have those British court ceremonies to make use of a palace.
The spartan lifestyle that Andres practice may remind him and his foreign observers of the original intention of the office of Imperator; intended more as a military post than a royal title.

That said, when the Filipino-British finally opens up Japan, they may get an idea or two about the supposed "austerity" of the Shogun in their traditional refusal to usurp the ultimate authority of the Japanese emperor, decisively turning the archipelagic empire into a militaristic enterprise. The numerous Chinese in its ranks won't help once the country rears its head into irate irredentism and start to claim suzerainty for the lands up north. The idea, while plausible given the capabilities presented, will make for quite a ridiculous map that would raise eyebrows not only from us readers but also some from ITTL London and Mexico City; will the former really be glad to have an overgrown "arm" as a wildcard?

That said, when the Filipino-British finally opens up Japan, they may get an idea or two about the supposed "austerity" of the Shogun in their traditional refusal to usurp the ultimate authority of the Japanese emperor, decisively turning the archipelagic empire into a militaristic enterprise. The numerous Chinese in its ranks won't help once the country rears its head into irate irredentism and start to claim suzerainty for the lands up north. The idea, while plausible given the capabilities presented, will make for quite a ridiculous map that would raise eyebrows not only from us readers but also some from ITTL London and Mexico City; will the former really be glad to have an overgrown "arm" as a wildcard?
And don't forget the Southern expansion too!

True true, militaristic as Philippines is, Britain (although way more powerful navally and had more industrial capability than Philippines) will keep a very close watch/ *cough* "leash" on the growing military state that is Philippines (hence I think is one of the reason why Britain allows one of its princes on the Philippine throne). They will be apprehensive and anxious if its another European royal on the throne.

They will make sure that their prince will always think of Britain interest while their prince rules the Philippine throne (will make laws like keeping the Philippine navy weaker than the British navy but strong enough to bully other European power seeking colonies in the region, like *cough* *cough* France/Germany) . If the common people/military grew dissatisfied with how Alfred runs the country and do something stupid (like couping Alfred), the British will make that as an excuse to make the Philippines a de facto colony (demilitarized on the way too) of the British Empire.

PS: Once Alfred is on the throne, its interesting that ATL British Empire map will be bigger than OTL (includes Philippines and her colonies as the subset branch of the British Empire)

Alfred himself will be very pro-British but his descendants is rather a wildcard area (they will have a lot more attachment to Philippines where they grew up especially if Alfred tries to marry a local (and a "commoner" too but a rich one mostly likely since Philippines has no "nobility" (debatable, Victoria will have alot of say as the Queen Mother, I half expected Alfred to marry a foreigner royal). Well, lets see hahaha

The spartan lifestyle that Andres practice may remind him and his foreign observers of the original intention of the office of Imperator; intended more as a military post than a royal title.
This is very interesting....also ironic too that even though Italy is the "successor" of the Roman Empire (being the birthplace of the Roman Empire) , its a mestizo emperor who actually follows its ideals, hence the "spiritual" successor....but i'm sure the European won't see it that way or reject the idea.

If all goes well, Philippines wil be seen as a counterpart of Roman Empire with an emperor who is carrying himself like a Roman Emperor (his empire's strength depending on the Navy rather than the Roman army)

Finally, Philippines focusing on trade (economy) and military is somewhat a return to our precolonial culture. Precolonial Luzon, while no unifying kingdoms, were often active as traders and the go-to mercenaries/navy/military for the defense of SEA precolonial civilizations. It comes full circle.

Last edited:
This is very interesting....also ironic too that even though Italy is the "successor" of the Roman Empire (being the birthplace of the Roman Empire) , its a mestizo emperor who actually follows its ideals, hence the "spiritual" successor....but i'm sure the European won't see it that way or reject the idea.

If all goes well, Philippines wil be seen as a counterpart of Roman Empire with an emperor who is carrying himself like a Roman Emperor (his empire's strength depending on the Navy rather than the Roman army)
Or, as a "cadet" jewel of the British imperial system, the Manila Raj.

To be honest though, I'd like this to be a scenario similar to EBR's Separateverse where we see the whole enterprise fall apart at the end due to the ingrained flaws that the government and its society is built with. In this case, it is the inevitable colonialist sensibilities that the Andresano's will espouse for the lands outside of its Home Islands. They may expand their navy and expand the franchise as they see fit to maintain control, but then it will still be an empire that had a particular nationality more privileged than the other.

During this time, the British are more concerned with Russia. The Great Game is full swing.

British view is only the Philippine army and navy is capable of stopping the Russian expansion in Asia among independent Asian nations(Europeans not counted) ATL 1850 similar to British view of Japan in OTL when they signed the alliance in 1902.

They will make sure that their prince will always think of Britain interest while their prince rules the Philippine throne (will make laws like keeping the Philippine navy weaker than the British navy but strong enough to bully other European power seeking colonies in the region, like *cough* *cough* France/Germany) . If the common people/military grew dissatisfied with how Alfred runs the country and do something stupid (like couping Alfred), the British will make that as an excuse to make the Philippines a de facto colony (demilitarized on the way too) of the British Empire

France may depending on the situation. The Germans as a whole are not yet united as one nation at this point. The Prussians however have good ties with the Philippines particularly the Prussian trained Philippine Imperial army since 1845.

Andres should technically make a nobility and democratize as soon as it can as we all know what happens to a few roman emperors who got caught in a power struggle which theoretically will neutralize the threat of succession crises and civil war for the most part. Also Andres is a Creole also not a mestizo,

Andres should technically make a nobility and democratize as soon as it can as we all know what happens to a few roman emperors who got caught in a power struggle which theoretically will neutralize the threat of succession crises and civil war for the most part. Also Andres is a Creole also not a mestizo,
This is a government that values meritocracy but.......

You do have a good point....but I'm also thinking of the cons of that decision, it may breed nepotism and is very unmeritocratic (cuz Andres' friends and the elite and even mestizo/creole but naturalized families close to the emperor will likely be the ones to be the "noble class" regardless of performance). But maybe if Andres offered the nobility distinction like a medal through high merits, it may decrease the incidence of nepotism within 1st decades and that nobility distinction is also dependent on how a person and his family performed for the service of the government (and if they and their descendants underperformed, they will be booted out of the noble class).

One of the reasons why the Roman empire fell is because if internal instability bursting out combined with outside pressure. But in our Philippine case, the internal instability caused Andres' rule is watched by a VERY BIG brother which has the power to steamroll coastal dependent Philippines and defacto turn it into a colony once again and demilitarized too (internal instability kept inside by an overwhelming outside pressure). Maybe, more decades later when big brother's power starts to wane.

All that Andres need is to survive until Alfred grows up and is prepared to be emperor. Then, Philippines is under the leadership of a royal whose family leads the foremost world power of that time.

Last edited:
This is a government that values meritocracy but.......

You do have a good point....but I'm also thinking of the cons of that decision, it may breed nepotism and is very unmeritocratic (cuz Andres' friends and the elite and even mestizo/creole but naturalized families close to the emperor will likely be the ones to be the "noble class" regardless of performance). But maybe if Andres offered the nobility distinction like a medal through high merits, it may decrease the incidence of nepotism within 1st decades and that nobility distinction is also dependent on how a person and his family performed for the service of the government (and if they and their descendants underperformed, they will be booted out of the noble class).

One of the reasons why the Roman empire fell is because if internal instability bursting out combined with outside pressure. But in our Philippine case, the internal instability caused Andres' rule is watched by a VERY BIG brother which has the power to steamroll coastal dependent Philippines and defacto turn it into a colony once again and demilitarized too (internal instability kept inside by an overwhelming outside pressure). Maybe, more decades later when big brother's power starts to wane.
And also, it is also prone to corruption such as power hungry dictators that often milks the economy for their benefit. remember the emperor's office still holds unlimited power, the Philippines is still acting as a police state like NK today or Paraguay in that era that is why he needs to do it soon. Because if a power hungry steriotipical corrupt incompetent dictator becomes emperor, the Philippine Islands will go back to ground zero, as there are no check and balance.

Last edited:
Erhmmm, have you read the new constitution?
The constitution includes all previous imperial decrees, freedom of religion, equality for all citizens, everyone gets a right to vote, and formation of an assembly/parliament. Citizenship can be acquired thru allegiance or birth. Legislation requires confirmation of the parliament and monarch. But the monarch gets to make legislation in case the Parliament is not in session. The Monarch retains most of his/her function including right to declare war, grant pardons, appoint ministers and judges, etc.

Andres tried to make the Judiciary under his reign independent, shielding them from the influence of military and home office. An independent judicial system was vital to the society he was creating. Technically, Andres had the power to manipulate the judiciary but he did not. He preferred the judiciary to practice interpreting with whatever law is written. He wanted this practice to continue after he is gone, with the power of judicial review separate from the monarch. He believes there should be prompt and impartial administration of justice to protect against the arbitrary will of the state.

The aim of Andres in the new constitution was to prevent crime rather than punish it. For that reason, torture was abolished and death penalty dropped for many crimes. Security and welfare of the community was the considered interest.

Censorship in all levels was still to be rigidly imposed except in the academics.

To prevent future repeat of army and navy veteran protests, the Imperial government organized veteran’s association for the army and navy. They will vote for representatives which will have direct access to the emperor and parliament. Right to peaceful assembly was allowed inside private homes or buildings. Political assembly, protest at public areas were not allowed. The police can arrest those who violate public spaces.

The council objects on several clauses on the draft. The army and navy rejects that everyone gets the right to vote. The army was the one who voted Andres in power not the people in 1823. The army and navy brass believes that right to vote should only belong to the people who serve within the military branches, enforce discipline and obedience to the state. Andres resolves the issue by citizens can only vote if they serve in the army or navy for 5 years. The Civil service representatives, composing of a lot of women civil servants, wants women to vote. The Army and Navy did not recruit females. Andres negotiates by forcing the Army and the navy to open both their branches to female recruits limiting them to non-combat assignments from medical personnel to administration and logistics.

Another contention is the right to run for member of parliament. The council rejects the idea that everyone should be able to run for office. Not everyone should be able to run without qualification. They added that the member must pass the civil service exam and serve Civil Service for 5 years (home office or foreign office). Then, one can run for member of parliament.

The Imperial council also wants descendants of Alfred to serve their branches for 10 years. All members of the imperial family should serve 3 years in the army and another 2 years in the navy and will be treated like everyone else with no special treatment. Then, serve another 3 years at home office, 2 years at the foreign office. Everyone must pass the civil service exam. Succession is absolute cognatic primogeniture. If one of Alfred’s descendant refuses service, they were out of succession and were stripped of any title and salary/allowance. If descendant is too young, the succession passes to the next in line who had completed government service.

After the issues were resolved, the army, navy and civil service both supported Alfred and the new Constitution.
One, the Philippines is transitioning to constitutional monarchy with Prince Alfred as the heir (and they can only assume the throne if they passed the rigid standards or if not able, pass it on to the next in line. The succession law is also absolute primogeniture too (both men and women may assume the throne and thus less likely shortage of heirs, an advanced law for its time.). So absolute monarchy is coming to an end.

But anyway, a constitution is just written document, The hard part is the implementation and the interpretation of the constitution and the future legislation (hence why Andres kept his judiciary impartial).

Again, look membership part of the parliament. It lets most classes of people (regardless of race, ethnicity, sex) have the chance to serve the government, just that the requirements are strict (exams and serving that respective branch), so less stupid/incompetent people in the government.

My only concern is the right to vote, it seems like the military has the edge here hahaha (hence why there are discussions in between updates of the Philippines fast becoming a police/military state or is a military state already(and an informal branch or "arm" of the British empire).....which lead to the talk of office of the emperor was originally a military post rather than a royal title, in the roman days)

PS:
A civil war may happen once Britain is weakening (and now we can never be too sure when will that be because of the alternate events already in this ATL (case in point: The US who in OTL who was instrumental in dismantling colonial empires of Britain and other European powers. ATL US however lost a lot of land and never made it to the Pacific Coast after North American war. And might have a successful North secession if American civil war comes to pass (sponsored by Britain and Mexico, yours truly). Who knows, we might have Mexico supporting the decolonization thing instead in the next century.

For that matter, I wonder about the rise of ideologies in this ATL....they gained prominence at end of 19th century and peaked at mid 20th century.

Last edited:
My only concern is the right to vote, it seems like the military has the edge here hahaha (hence why there are discussions in between updates of the Philippines fast becoming a police/military state or is a military state already(and an informal branch or "arm" of the British empire).....which lead to the talk of office of the emperor was originally a military post rather than a royal title, in the roman days)

Philippines right to vote isn't like the USA wherein every man can vote. Or other Europeans who have weighted vote based on wealth during this time. At least at this point of this time in 1852.

Philippines right to vote is more of a combination of Universal suffrage with the main requirement of public service, which is serving the military for a certain period. So in a way, if you had served the military 10 years ago, you can vote now even if you are now a Civilian.

The power of the military here is more of influencing people who can vote since they served the military at one point in their lives. But the military wont have monopoly on who can vote at a certain point. The Civilian population(who had serve/discharge/retired from the military) will still be more.

An example of this is the OTL current US active soldiers at 1 million+, with 19 million+ veterans. If they used ATL Philippine constitution on right to vote, 20M can vote. The only difference is that Philippines requires everyone to serve the military, forced recruitment at age 20.

Philippines right to vote is more of a combination of Universal suffrage with the main requirement of public service, which is serving the military for a certain period. So in a way, if you had served the military 10 years ago, you can vote now even if you are now a Civilian.
if that's the case, I wish there would be a future legislation that the right to vote wouldn't be limited to requirement of military service but extended to civil service as well (ie: able to vote after working in the home/foreign/government office after 5 years without passing through the military, this way more women can vote in technically since more would be active in the civil service jobs unlike the military where due to to special requirements (women aren't allowed in the combat roles) and male-dominated nature of the profession, less women are likely to enter its service, less women who get to vote)

Also, the Philippine involuntary recruitment is only limited to males, right? The female voters would be even less....I fear that with this setup, future legislations will benefit the male gender more than the female or even repeal laws that protects females, slowly transforming the Philippines into a paternalistic society (which was already encouraged by the machismo culture of Andres and paternal culture of Spanish)

But anyway, the universal suffrage with public service requirement is great step already. Its a constitutional law born out of the culture for its time (machismo culture and meritocratic government).

Last edited:
Despite the voter requirement being restrictive to us now. I think the Philippines are the closest state I can think of with universal voting rights. With the male citizen being required to serve 10 years. Also with non combative roles in the army also being given the right to vote its is by far the most progressive of voting rights.

Despite the voter requirement being restrictive to us now. I think the Philippines are the closest state I can think of with universal voting rights. With the male citizen being required to serve 10 years. Also with non combative roles in the army also being given the right to vote its is by far the most progressive of voting rights.
yeah, but that stipulation will only contribute to the country's fate with militarism, or at least that's how I'd like to think of it

if that's the case, I wish there would be a future legislation that the right to vote wouldn't be limited to requirement of military service but extended to civil service as well (ie: able to vote after working in the home/foreign/government office after 5 years without passing through the military, this way more women can vote in technically since more would be active in the civil service jobs unlike the military where due to to special requirements (women aren't allowed in the combat roles) and male-dominated nature of the profession, less women are likely to enter its service, less women who get to vote)

Also, the Philippine involuntary recruitment is only limited to males, right? The female voters would be even less....I fear that with this setup, future legislations will benefit the male gender more than the female or even repeal laws that protects females, slowly transforming the Philippines into a paternalistic society (which was already encouraged by the machismo culture of Andres and paternal culture of Spanish)

But anyway, the universal suffrage with public service requirement is great step already. Its a constitutional law born out of the culture for its time (machismo culture and meritocratic government).

yeah, but that stipulation will only contribute to the country's fate with militarism, or at least that's how I'd like to think of it

The 1850 constitution allows female military recruits but they are limited into non combat roles. The Civil service demanded it in that update. There are less female voters due to females not being allowed in military service(with the exception of the Yellow Guards/Amazons) from 1823 to 1850 but by 1850 they would be co equals in number of voters.