Votes: 339 86.5%
  • I liked Golden Eagle more

Votes: 20 5.1%
  • It's okay...

Votes: 25 6.4%
  • I didn't like it

Votes: 8 2.0%

• Total voters
I'll cast my lot for Marshall. By the way, you should change the county Morrison owns land in to southern Cabarrus County, as it was split away from Mecklenburg in 1792.

Name: James Cranston
Birthplace: Norfolk Virginia
Date of Birth: 02,05,1782
Sex: Male
Culture: Second son of a merchant
Political Leaning: favors protections for US businesses and favors non intervention in private life. Leans towards congressional control over government.
Background: Second son of a local merchant. Sees the potential usefulness of tariff to use to fund the imperial bank to help the expansion of the countries industry. Anti slavery do to him seeing the potential waste economically.

VIII: IMPERIAL ELECTION OF 1801
VII: IMPERIAL ELECTION OF 1801

IMG_5172.JPG

Emperor Washington's Funeral
America lost it's father, Washington led the nation as its first Emperor, and now it was time to decide a new one. Between the 5th of July and the 25th of September, heated debates happened in the Senate building, with 4 men seeking to take the throne. Hamilton had the delegates of the "Pure" Federalists, Marshall had the moderates and "Anti-Hamiltonian" Federalists, Burr had taken "Anti-Hamiltonians" from both sides of the spectrum, and Madison had the Whigs.

For days, debates raged from tariffs to insults between Burr and Hamilton, while Marshall became known as "Silent John" due to his quiet atitude during debates, Monroe spent most of his speeches in Anti-British rethoric, promising to take Canada from Britain. No candidate was ideal and all had their defects, but one had to take the crown, and with the 4 being balanced in support, only one man could break the tie: George Washington.

The final will and testament was hidden by his wife Martha, who refused to break the silence on the letter content, only claiming that Washington had a chosen successor. To this day, it isn't known why the silence was kept, probably Martha was still mourning for her husband's death, or even for manipulating the candidates to keep family privileges in return of having his name announced. On the 18th of February, a week before the voting started, Martha Washington, the ex-Queen of the Emperor, broke the silence and released it in a Maryland newspaper called "Tribune of America" owned by a Creole called Henry Bellamy.

WASHINGTON'S LAST ADRESS TO AMERICA

"For years, ever since that Christmas night in Valley Forge, I saw a vision of America, spreading its wings from sea to shinning sea, from the cold Tundra of the Artic to the forests of Yucatán. And all I did was to prepare America to fulfill it's fate, especially Columbia, my grand legacy, a city of marble bordering the Potomac. I wish to die seeing this new America, seeing the sun setting over Columbia, but I know that I'm not immortal, and my great regret was not leaving a son of mine to lead this new Empire. I have seen many men that would be worthy of the throne in Valley Forge, but they are with the Lord now and can't rule in the human realm. Instead, Alexander Hamilton was my chosen successor for many years, but I saw him grow too ambitious, seeking to turn America into another Britain and end the constitution by becoming a dictator. If I am Augustus, Hamilton is Tiberius, and should not have the throne, in fact, I could count on fingers who is capable of having it. There is only one that I could consciously support for the throne: John Marshall. He is a man I know for long years, he is committed to the law and order of the nation, and is the only one of them that would follow the Constitution to the grave, like all Emperors are required to in the Oath. He is the one that won't sell our soul to neither King George nor Napoleon, he is the one that can work both parties and isn't enemy of neither. Burr would not be able to govern with Hamilton and Madison would throw us into a war we might lose. My best wishes for the Nation, and may the Divine Light and Providence guide us into an Era of Gold like never seen before since the days of Rome, for we are a new Rome, and Columbia will be the 3rd Rome."
Washington's letter was a bomb in the Senate, 7 days later, over 50% of the Senators would vote for John Marshall, more than the other 3 combined. John I Marshall humbly accepted the nomination and the "House of Marshall" would take power in America. Even if Emperor John I would start to rule from the 25th of September of 1801, his coronation only happened on the 4th of July following the Washington precedent, taking the oath and being crowned by William White, the same one that crowned Washington. No one was particularly satisfied with the election of Marshall, but the other 3 were mostly relieved that it wasn't one of the others. It was the beggining of the Marshall Dynasty in America.

IMG_5166.JPG

Emperor John I Marshall

Hmmm. John Marshall didn't marry until the 1780s and his first son wasn't born until 1784 - many years after the POD of 1777. Assuming that he still married Mary as on OTL, she gave him 10 children, though she had two miscarriages.

So it seems likely that the House of Marshall will survive into the second generation at least and probably further. Of course, since all the kids are born post POD this gives you a pretty open hand in who his successor ends up being!

Also, assuming that the first son is still born around 1884, that will make him 17 years old when his father becomes Emperor. Just getting into marrying age. I wonder if they will try for a match with a major American family or a European royal house?

Hmmm. John Marshall didn't marry until the 1780s and his first son wasn't born until 1784 - many years after the POD of 1777. Assuming that he still married Mary as on OTL, she gave him 10 children, though she had two miscarriages.

So it seems likely that the House of Marshall will survive into the second generation at least and probably further. Of course, since all the kids are born post POD this gives you a pretty open hand in who his successor ends up being!

Also, assuming that the first son is still born around 1884, that will make him 17 years old when his father becomes Emperor. Just getting into marrying age. I wonder if they will try for a match with a major American family or a European royal house?

Napoleon should have a girl and the first son of the emperor should marry her and have a son that will be elected president of France in 1848 then becoming emperor of both nation. It's the most likely and realist outcome.

jk

IX: RISE OF NAPOLEON
IX: RISE OF NAPOLEON

IMG_5174.JPG

Napoleon Bonaparte was born on the 15th of August of 1769 in Ajaccio, Corsica. Son of Carlo Maria Bonaparte, a member of the lower nobility of the island that was recently sold to France by Genoa on the last year. Napoleon studied in the military school of Brienne, having great interest in Mathematics and History, and later went to the Military College of Paris, becoming second lieutenant of an artillery regiment. When the Revolution started, he aligned himself with the Jacobins by publishing a Republican leaflet in 1792 that attracted the attention of Agustín de Robespierre, the brother of the feared Maximilien Robespierre, who appointed him as the artillery commander during the Siege of Toulon in 1793. Showing great knowledge and innovation in artillery tactics, Napoleon was able to force the surrender of the port, making him known in the military circles. He was arrested in 1794 due to his association with the Jacobins, but was soon released and defended the Directiory from an counter-revolution attempt in January 1795, putting him back in the Army leadership.

Napoleon was the youngest General of the Republic, named to take command of the Army of Italy during the Italian Campaign between 1795 and 1797. Taking control of an undermanned army of conscripts with few artillery, Napoleon triumphed against a much superior Austrian army in the battles of Lodi and Arcole, also capturing the mighty fortress of Mantua, forcing the Austrians to sign a peace treaty, giving the control of Northern Italy to France and giving hundreds of artillery pieces to the French Army. Napoleon came back to France as a hero, beloved by the public and soldiers, especially on how he risked himself: Instead of staying back like most of the generals, Napoleon went straight into action, even commanding the attack on the bridge of Arcole personally, carrying the French tricolour.

IMG_5175.JPG

Napoleon in the Battle of Arcole
Fearing his rising popularity, the Directory decided to approve his Experdition to Egypt. With a force of 40,000 troops, Napoleon planned to take Egypt and cut the British ties with India, possibly even marching to the Subcontinent. His forces landed in Alexandria on July 1798, clashing with the Mameluke army near Cairo, where 20,000 French fought 25,000 Mamelukes, including their feared cavalry. Napoleon countered it by putting his troops in square formation, causing a brutal death ratio: While the French forces lost between 200-600 men, the Mamelukes lost around 15,000 and had their resistance shattered, giving full control of Egypt to Napoleon.

"Forward! Remember that from those monuments yonder 40 centuries look down upon you."
-Napoleon to his soldiers during the Battle of the Pyramids

IMG_5176.JPG

Napoleon brought a team of scholars to the experdition, discovering the "Rosetta Stone", the inscription of several ancient Egyptian words which would be used to translate texts of Ancient Egypt, being invaluable to Egyptology nowadays. Napoleon also pushed into Gaza, took Jerusalem, and was about to invade Syria when news came from the sea. The support fleet was sunk by the British fleet and it's Admiral Horatio Nelson, with the supplies cut by the British blockade, a plague spreading in the army, and the growing unrest of the Muslim Egyptian population, Napoleon was forced to abandon his army and go back to France.

He came back as a legendary figure, a hero for the Army and Population. The directory saw Napoleon's return as a threat, with the French population turning against them due to its own corruption and inefficiency. Napoleon used the situation and launched a coup d'etat on the 18 Brumaire, the 9th of November on the Revolutionary Calendar, dissolving the Directory by forcing them to vote by the bayonet to create a Consulate between Napoleon, Emmanuel Sieyès, and Roger Ducos. The date is considered the end of the Revolution, and the beggining of the Napoleonic Era.

IMG_5177.JPG

Napoleon in the coup of the 18th Brumaire
After taking power, Napoleon's first actions were to end the War against Austria and Britain. During his time in Egypt, Austrian troops overran Italy and threatened to attack the South of France in Marseille and Lyon. To prevent this and take back his conquest, Napoleon led the Army of Italy once again at the Battle of Marengo, breaking the back of the Austrian Army. Peace would finally be achieved in 1802 in the Treaty of Amiens, giving a break for Napoleon to administer France... only to discover he was almost bankrupt. France had spent almost its entire treasury into the military during the wars, there were some members of the directory who had more money in their pockets than the national treasure, as Napoleon remarked. He needed money and fast, for that he looked into a massive territory owned by France that had almost no usefulness other than its costs: Louisiana.

IMG_5178.JPG

On the month of April of 1803, Napoleon sent the offer for America to purchase the Louisiana territory for the sum of 12 million dollars. It caused an uproar in the Congress, with Hamiltonians arguing that no deal should be done with Bonaparte, and instead the American Empire should "At last put its military force into work to expel the French ogre from the Continent without emptying our coffers". Even some Whigs opposed it by claiming that adding more states would break the balance between Slave and Free states, causing tensions and division in the Union. While moderates argued it was a great opportunity to double the size of America by a relatively cheap value. As the authority to both make war and foreign treaties was in the hands of the Emperor, the final say would come from Emperor John I on the 30th of April of 1803.

Last edited: