East First in 1914?

Just finished re-reading T. Zuber's The Real German War Plan 1904-14. Has some rough details on what the Germans had for a focus vs. Russia plan.

4 Armies in 42 Divisions to concentrate in Eastern Prussia. Problem is because of limited rail net it would have taken a great deal of time to get this force assembled. So even once hostilities kick off the Germans will still be assembling their formations.

Lets ignore whatever POD got us to the Germans doing this. Its enough that Russia and France vs. Germany and Austria-Hungary.

France and Russia had agreed to launch offenses into Germany by D+15 after mobilization. So Russian 1st and 2nd Armies are still going into East Prussia.

In the first month or so in the east how do things play out?

Michael

Rstone4

Banned
Just finished re-reading T. Zuber's The Real German War Plan 1904-14. Has some rough details on what the Germans had for a focus vs. Russia plan.

4 Armies in 42 Divisions to concentrate in Eastern Prussia. Problem is because of limited rail net it would have taken a great deal of time to get this force assembled. So even once hostilities kick off the Germans will still be assembling their formations.

Lets ignore whatever POD got us to the Germans doing this. Its enough that Russia and France vs. Germany and Austria-Hungary.

France and Russia had agreed to launch offenses into Germany by D+15 after mobilization. So Russian 1st and 2nd Armies are still going into East Prussia.

In the first month or so in the east how do things play out?

Michael

Well think about some key facts. France could call up, organize, and arm its reserves much more quickly than Russia could. France is smaller than Russia which meant it could move more of its forces into battle more quickly while Russia was more spread out and had fewer rails and roads.

Think of a bar fight. You are Germany and a fat pimp-like guy is picking on your cousin Austria who is trying to get his wallet back from Serbia. You jump up and crack your knuckles, and France is a Jean Claude Van Damme built guy who is also hopping up. You going to Sock Zangeif or the the fast guy who is nearly your equal (in this analogy germany is like a heavy wight boxer, more power, but not more speed).

So, if you want Germany to attack Russia first you need to convince the Germans that France wont react faster than Russia. This requires making Germany stupid, France stupid, or Russia much faster than It was.

So, if you want Germany to attack Russia first you need to convince the Germans that France wont react faster than Russia. This requires making Germany stupid, France stupid, or Russia much faster than It was.

A repeat...

Lets ignore whatever POD got us to the Germans doing this.

Michael

A repeat...

Michael

A POD wouldn't be hard. IIRC the Kaiser requested that von Moltke completely scrap the von Schlieffen plan and adopt a Russia first strategy, as he saw Russia as being a greater threat than France, however as we know it never materialised into anything. Just have von Moltke decide to go with the Kaiser (say he's threatened with being sacked or something) and you have your POD.

A POD wouldn't be hard. IIRC the Kaiser requested that von Moltke completely scrap the von Schlieffen plan and adopt a Russia first strategy, as he saw Russia as being a greater threat than France, however as we know it never materialised into anything. Just have von Moltke decide to go with the Kaiser (say he's threatened with being sacked or something) and you have your POD.

I am not concerned about a POD, I cam generate that easy enough but I didn't want the thread to bog down on the POD either (which this one appears to be doing within the first 5 replies and I didn't list one. SIGH...)

Again I am interested in JUST the military aspects of how a campaign in the east might go for the first 30 days or so.

Michael

Orry

Donor
Monthly Donor
Even the Russians might notice that large an Army.....

Russians fall back suffering losses they think are large but may actually be less than OTL - Germans advance as well as they can but the transport infrastructure is poor...

After a few weeks the advance is halted as the french at great loss are over whelming the weakened Western front and units have to go back to try and save the day...

I am not concerned about a POD, I cam generate that easy enough but I didn't want the thread to bog down on the POD either (which this one appears to be doing within the first 5 replies and I didn't list one. SIGH...)

Again I am interested in JUST the military aspects of how a campaign in the east might go for the first 30 days or so.

Michael

Well in OTL even though the Russians mobilised a lot faster than the Germans thought, and with twice the strength of the Germans, the invasion of Eat Prussia was a catastrophic faliure.

I would imagine with a lot more German forces in the East, they would be able to achieve an even greater success, capturing what they did in 1915 by say December 1914, after that maybe stopping to consolidate their gains before advancing towards Petrograd, or holding what they gained and going on the defensive, letting the Russians bleed themselves into surrendering.

But with far fewer forces on the Western Front, things will be very different. I'm not exactly sure, but I'd thing you would have the French advancing through Alsace-Lorraine and possibly the southern Rhineland. I could envision a Tannenberg-like battle occurring somewhere around there.

I'm not sure if the UK would stay neutral or not; although part of the Triple Entente, they used the German invasion of Belgium as a casus belli to join. With that out of the picture, I could see the UK declaration of war delayed slightly.

Deleted member 1487

France if it declares war first would have some serious political issues as the French people were not interested in war, nor were AFAIK privy to the secret part of the treaty where they were bound to support Russia no matter what. So France has to deal with a fair bit of strife at home as a result, especially once the casualties start. They will have to hit a pretty strong set of German border forts plus 4 German armies entrenched. They won't be able to move through Belgium to avoid the defenses either for political reasons. They had a handful of rail guns of the 350mm caliber and about 100 modern howitzers. They will get slaughtered like IOTL as they attack the Germans, but will have their industry and iron/coal deposits intact; the problem is political though once they bog down and lose hundreds of thousands of dead in the first month.

Russia is a different animal altogether. They will deploy deep and deploy the 4th army in the north; once they realize the Germans are coming for them, they will not attack East Prussia, but will hide behind their forts and let the Germans come to them; that means Poland falls and A-H does much better in Galicia with only having to fight 3 Russian armies. They will also deploy forward instead of back and muddle their deployment; their 2nd army stays in Serbia and crushes them in the first 6-8 weeks. Germany though will lack any major victories and will find a brutal form of defensive warfare awaits them as the Russians dig in and wait for the logistically attenutated German armies to come to them; the Germans will probably bog down pretty quickly and find the Russians a much more hardy foe than IOTL. Ironically the A-Hs will do much better in a mobile war on equal terms in Galicia and give the Germans a place to circumvent the Russian defenses, so we have a bizarre situation (compared to OTL) lined up by December 1914: the French occupy slivers of German territory in Alsace-Lorraine, but are bogged down, while the A-Hs aren't crushed in Galicia, so suck in German reserves to support their advance. Serbia is crushed and occupied by the 2nd army by October, so by winter the full weight of A-H is in Galicia, while Russia hold the German army in the Baltic and Poland on the Vistula. Britain is neutral, France is having political troubles, and Germany looks somewhat foolish when checked by the Russians.

That's just 1914; 1915 would probably see a bloody series of French attacks in the West, with some German counter attacks and probably French bombing of the Rhein area to disrupt German industry. Italy and Romania stay neutral, Bulgaria might occupy just Macedonia without entering the war. The Ottomans have only one active theater and may have to not close the Dardanelles to avoid giving Britain Casus Belli. A-H has bogged down in Ukraine, while the Germans try and push up through southern Poland, but find the Russians are able to check them. The Eastern Front bogs down, just like the Western one.

It can go a number of ways from this point, with Britain perhaps joining in at some point. I think there is a negotiated peace deal by 1916 IMHO with a lot of political problems in France and less than IOTL with A-H.

Michael

In The Guns of August an incident is described wherein the Kaiser (or some other very high ranking staffer) asked Moltke to reverse the trains, but Moltke panicked and yelled at whoever asked him about how the die was cast. The man in charge of the railroads for the military wrote a book post war full of statistics and tables and everything proving that it actually could have been done. SO it is possible both logistically and from a POD standpoint. In any case...

I think the trick would be making the General Staff realize that they needed to be purely defensive against France. An East-First strategy simply could not support the dual-offensive strategy that the West-First doctrine could. That said, given how well the Germans did against the Russians with about a fifth or fewer troops than what we're giving them in this scenario it's plausible to consider Russia being knocked out by mid 1915. That said, militarily knocked out does not mean knocked out of the war. Russia had suffered deep incursions into its territory before with not much discontent arising so it's not definite that an early German victory in Russia would lead to a separate peace.

Another interesting thing to consider is Belgium. IIRC the French assumed that EITHER Germany or themselves would have to violate Belgian neutrality at some point, it was just a matter of provoking the Germans to do it first. Bearing in mind that going into the war they KNEW that Germany was going to try to knock out France first, it's conceivable that the French would panic when they saw the Germans not doing this and try to head them off by diving into Belgium themselves. It's highly unlikely that this would elicit the same hostile response from Britain as when Germany did it, and it's not impossible that the Belgians would be complicit in this if they were convinced of German aggression, but it's still definitely an interesting factor to consider.

Deleted member 1487

Another interesting thing to consider is Belgium. IIRC the French assumed that EITHER Germany or themselves would have to violate Belgian neutrality at some point, it was just a matter of provoking the Germans to do it first. Bearing in mind that going into the war they KNEW that Germany was going to try to knock out France first, it's conceivable that the French would panic when they saw the Germans not doing this and try to head them off by diving into Belgium themselves. It's highly unlikely that this would elicit the same hostile response from Britain as when Germany did it, and it's not impossible that the Belgians would be complicit in this if they were convinced of German aggression, but it's still definitely an interesting factor to consider.

It depends on how the French do it; if they stick to the Ardennes they would be political safe with Britain, though this will ensure Britain stays neutral. Politically it would be dicey to do at home, which will have all sorts of other issues about fighting an offensive war against Germany. Belgium is not an answer though, as the Germans will be able to counter the move through the dense woods like they did IOTL and slaughter the French as they did IOTL. The front bogs down and Belgium has to decide whether it goes to war; I think if the French don't evacuate they will find themselves fighting Belgium, which will keep Britain neutral. If the French evacuate they take a major political hit (they will either way for sure if they violate Belgium and end of fighting her). Basically France will not win any friends and will look like a bully internationally, ironically making Germany look good, fighting against the autocratic Czar as it was and having France look thuggish in the process. Britain will not be able politically to fight Germany unless Germany screws up big time somehow. Belgium is a bad option for France.

Riain

Banned
There is no target in the east worthy of the multiple armies that Germany could deploy there within a fortnight. While Russian mobilisation will be slow, news of German advances will not be slow to travel and Russia will have time to change their deployments of counter any German moves.

If the East is the target Germany still has time to deploy multiple armies against France to conduct a major defensive and still overwhelm Russian armies.

The vast distances in the East make the sort of quick "knock-out" victory against one of their enemies the Germans thought they needed (and thought they could get in the West) very difficult. One can hardly imagine a more favorable situation for the Germans in the East than in 1918 at the time of Brest-Litovsk. And yet "General Max Hoffmann, the German commander on the Eastern Front, noted bitterly in his diary that despite the fact that his forces faced no opposition whatever, he would have to call an end to their advance. 'I should have no objection', he wrote, 'to pushing farther and farther eastwards. I should like to get to India except that the distances grow more immense, and our army does not." http://tinyurl.com/ov8844y

Wiking question is when do the Russians figure out that there are 4 armies in East Prussia and not 1? If its after mobilization started its too late I would think as armies are in motion.

Michael

Rstone4

Banned
A repeat...

Michael

My comment was to point out that the POD would have to be making germany stupid, making france stupid, or making russia fast.

That is, France would have to NOT be a threat to germany or germany would NOT SEE france as a threat.

It depends on how the French do it; if they stick to the Ardennes they would be political safe with Britain, though this will ensure Britain stays neutral. Politically it would be dicey to do at home, which will have all sorts of other issues about fighting an offensive war against Germany. Belgium is not an answer though, as the Germans will be able to counter the move through the dense woods like they did IOTL and slaughter the French as they did IOTL. The front bogs down and Belgium has to decide whether it goes to war; I think if the French don't evacuate they will find themselves fighting Belgium, which will keep Britain neutral. If the French evacuate they take a major political hit (they will either way for sure if they violate Belgium and end of fighting her). Basically France will not win any friends and will look like a bully internationally, ironically making Germany look good, fighting against the autocratic Czar as it was and having France look thuggish in the process. Britain will not be able politically to fight Germany unless Germany screws up big time somehow. Belgium is a bad option for France.

The French had debated going into Belgium but decided that the diplomatic cost would be too high and so were locked into going straight into A-L.

Michael

My comment was to point out that the POD would have to be making germany stupid, making france stupid, or making russia fast.

That is, France would have to NOT be a threat to germany or germany would NOT SEE france as a threat.

There was an actual war plan to do what I am describing, last given a serious updating during the Balkan wars. The General staff wanted to use this plan only if France was neutral but they also had instructions for Western armies if they used this plan and France was hostile. Going East or West was a political choice at the end of the day.

Michael

If Britain is neutral then there is no naval blockade of Germany, with big advantages to the Germany economy as a whole & the civilian population. Absent the furor over German activities in Belgium (real and imagined) and the U-boat issue, the USA will stay firmly neutral, and the business/financial community will see more advantages in loaning money or providing goods on partial credit to Germany (and maybe A-H) than France.

The difference in the naval war will be huge. The French navy has to deal with the Austro-Hungarians, and to a small extent the Ottomans in the Med, and the Germans everywhere else all by themselves - the Russians are no use, and unlike OTL the Japanese won't be useful in the Pacific. Given the new naval balance the Germans will be able to use "traditional" cruiser warfare against French-flagged ships, even with U-boats. The Atlantic will be a German advantage area, especially northern reaches, and they will be able to control the North Sea/everything north of the English Channel so their commerce will be relatively unimpeded, especially anything carried in neutral flagged ships.

Basically Germany can let the French bleed themselves white in the west, losing little important territory and this can be regained when the fighting ends. In the east they can take Poland, Baltic states, Ukraine (in conjunction with A-H) who will get Serbia and more Galicia. If France goes in to Belgium the BEST they can hope for is Britain stays neutral - the treaty guaranteeing Belgian sovereignty did not specify who it was protected against - it was not going to be OK for France to invade Belgium on whatever pretext.

Getting Britain, and then the USA, in to the war against it was a monumental act of stupidity on the part of the Germans. Germany + A-H against France + Russia was a winning combination, with or without the Ottomans and with USA, UK, Italy being neutral they should win.

Russia's "fast" mobilization was a disaster the men had no field kitchens and a large number didn't have quality boots

They actually lost battles in 1914 due to things like starvation/exhaustion and sore feet

Mobilizing fast severely reduced the tactical effectiveness of the army which begat a strategic disaster

Deleted member 1487

I don't buy that the Germans would bog down on the Eastern front. They didn't OTL, with far fewer forces.
Yeah, because the Russians threw away their pre-war army by outpacing their logistics in the attack and getting outmaneuvered by the Germans. Its a completely different situation here; the Germans won't be fighting on top of their supply centers and on their dense rail network of their own rail gauge, while the Russians advanced onto different gauge rail lines without planning for the necessary logistics; they lost badly twice (in East Prussia and in Poland in November/December 1914). Otherwise they were fighting the A-Hs in the Carpathians in Winter and lost 1 million men to frostbite and other winter illnesses. The Germans were able to fight their preferred war on ground of their choosing IOTL and did really well. IOTL when they did poorly was fighting the Russians in Poland in September/October 1914 by attacking Russian forts backed up by Russian field armies on the Vistula.

The problem with this is that the Russian forts were no where near the scale of the scale of the Belgian and French forts, and they possessed extremely acute shortages of machine guns and artillery that made the Western front defenses so powerful.
That didn't matter when they were properly supported as in October 1914 in Poland; the Germans hit a brick wall and were beaten, forcing them to fall back and the Russians advanced too far and left an open flank (Lodz 1914). The Russians would have held just fine with their pre-war army deploying deep and letting the Germans bash themselves on their supported fortress systems.

Coupled with the fact that the east front is so large, there is always either a weak spot or a flank to be turned. The defenders have much less of an advantage.
There were also far less men deployed there IOTL. There was no real open flank, as what could be supplied was within 100 miles of a rail head; beyond that you couldn't go around a flank, because you couldn't supply it; so in reality on the Eastern Front you had to go through the enemy, which is exactly what happened IOTL; the only time a flank was found was when the Russians barreled forward into the dense German rail net and found themselves short of supply due to different rail gauges, so were vulnerable on their flanks. German troops could then mass on a weak spot on the line and breakthrough due to being on their home turf and having enough rail lines to mass more quickly than the Russians on foreign turf. This played out at Tannenburg, Masurian Lakes (1 and 2), and again at Gorlice-Tarnow. The Germans ran through the weakened Russians, rather than going around them.

What will happen is the Germans will advance to the limit allowed by supply, stall out, consolidate, then launch a new offensive. About 100 to 120 miles from the railheads was about the limit of any offensive in WW1. It will be the logistics, not the Russians, that slow the German advance.
Against a depleted foe, sure; the Russians here will have their pre-war army and full supply and be entrenched, which is exactly where their pre-war doctrine and training excelled. The Russians were a tough foe on the defensive, I recommend you look at how the German advance in 1915 stalled out on the Dvina and didn't move until the Russian Revolution broke the Russian army's will to fight.

Wiking question is when do the Russians figure out that there are 4 armies in East Prussia and not 1? If its after mobilization started its too late I would think as armies are in motion.

Michael
Pretty quickly, because they had spies watching, just as Germany had in Russia. Remember the Russians were the ones that turned the A-H head of intelligence into an asset pre-war, which gave them massive intelligence coups over the CPs. I'd say within a week of mobilization they would know the Germans are heading East.

Basically Germany can let the French bleed themselves white in the west, losing little important territory and this can be regained when the fighting ends. In the east they can take Poland, Baltic states, Ukraine (in conjunction with A-H) who will get Serbia and more Galicia. If France goes in to Belgium the BEST they can hope for is Britain stays neutral - the treaty guaranteeing Belgian sovereignty did not specify who it was protected against - it was not going to be OK for France to invade Belgium on whatever pretext.

This is the problem though, there is a lot of valuable and vulnerable real estate in the West, which is why the Germans were so intent on attacking their and the French in A-L. The Saar is the major source of German coal and the Ruhr is right there and can be bombed from the air, though not on the scale of WW2, but of course people then, as before WW2, overestimated the effects of bombing on morale and physical damage. So the germans don't have room to give much land if they can.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/Alsace-lorraine.JPG

There were some pretty critical rail lines too that mustn't be severed, nor Rhein river traffic disrupted. IIRC there are also some economic objectives in A-L too that are important to retain; there is a reason IOTL too that Moltke wasn't willing to let the French get far into A-L and ordered major counter attacks in that area contrary to Schlieffen's plan.

Russia's "fast" mobilization was a disaster the men had no field kitchens and a large number didn't have quality boots

They actually lost battles in 1914 due to things like starvation/exhaustion and sore feet

Mobilizing fast severely reduced the tactical effectiveness of the army which begat a strategic disaster

It wasn't so much a 'fast' mobilization, as much as 90% pre-mobilized. The Russian 1st and 2nd armies were always 90% ready to go, which is why they were quickly ready; the problem is that supply trains were part of the 10% not mobilized. Still, that problem is solved if they stay on the defensive, which allows time for the supply train to mobilize and for troops to be supplied directly by rail and locally commissioned horses and carts. Here by staying put the Germans come to them and have to deal with the logistic hurdles instead.