Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

The Flag of 1876 or the Centennial Flag contained 35 stars representing all the states to join the Union including those that joined in 1876. Ironically, this flag did not fly during the June 3rd celebrations as the last two states, MacKenzie and Grey Island, did not join the union early enough to allow for the mass production of the 35 star American flag.

The Centennial Flag:

DSA US flag 1876.png

I keep wanting to read this, but every time I look at the number of pages I panic at the sheer volume of material I would have to go through.

Isn't Grey/Vancouver Island far too sparsely populated to make a state even with the boost it has received?

Actually if the population is roughly equal to OTL's Vancouver Island would have a population of roughly 760,000 people. That is just about the population of South Dakota. Making it larger than Wyoming, Vermont, North Dakota, and Alaska. And without Southern California within the US in TTL there is a chance that the population of the Pacific Coast is slightly larger in the area around what is McKenzie and Grey Island in TTL (it will certainly have a larger population than Jacques and perhaps Gitchigumee in the long run).

Actually if the population is roughly equal to OTL's Vancouver Island would have a population of roughly 760,000 people. That is just about the population of South Dakota. Making it larger than Wyoming, Vermont, North Dakota, and Alaska. And without Southern California within the US in TTL there is a chance that the population of the Pacific Coast is slightly larger in the area around what is McKenzie and Grey Island in TTL (it will certainly have a larger population than Jacques and perhaps Gitchigumee in the long run).

Yes, but in the 120-odd years since SD became a state OTL its population has barely doubled from the 350,000-odd it had at the time (if my source is to be believed). By comparison, Vancouver Island's population has boomed. The same source I am using states the entirety of British Columbia to have a population of 92,700 in 1891, at about the same time it says SD is at 348,000. There would need to be a monumental swing from OTL population figures for Vancouver to be at SD's population rather than OTL BC's, and Glen has instead only remarked that its population is "a bit higher" or words to that effect.

Glen

And a great thanks to you, our devoted readers, as we are now the fifth most read thread in Discussion before 1900! :D:D:D

Maybe I'm just drunk but...

...are you ignoring my question on Memphis?

Glen is pretty much mein Gott.

-The most infinite of Apes.

Mick Parrish
(The Admiral Hook)

Glen

Great past few updates! Inspirational.

Thank you - love inspiring!

I'm still pining for the integration that I fear shall never occur...

Oh, you never know....but let me make certain I am reading you right - what or who do you want integrated?

At any rate, as a Memphian, I have to ask what that city is up to, how it looks, if it exists, etc.?

A very good question - there is a city there, for certain - get back to you on the rest later - need to check something - I want to say I already wrote about it.

Again great updates, and love the map.

Thank you and thank you!

Glen

FYI I made a spelling error - the State of Gray Island should be spelled with an 'A', not an 'E'.

Glen

Isn't Grey/Vancouver Island far too sparsely populated to make a state even with the boost it has received?

Correct - TTL's Gray Island/Vancouver is more populated, but it really shouldn't be making state status alone - but as mentioned, Congress is turning a blind eye to that for political expediency.

Will there be an American equivelent of Memphis in TTL Kentucky, or will we just see a super St. Louis or more important Cape Girardeau?

Paducah would be ideal for this. Actually, with the exception of the time it was known as the Atomic City, its status as a smaller city has always perplexed me. Right where two major rivers meet, surrounded by agriculture AND industry, etc.

Maybe if Paducah and Metropolis become Twin Cities ITTL they could spring up and at least equal St. Louis. Paducah's importance as a border town right on the Mississippi and Ohio rivers would inevitably lead to this, IMHO.

And of course, there's Ft. Massac. I would love to hear Glen's thoughts on how Little Egypt is developing ITTL. It's got to be much bigger as well as being far more strategic TTL.

AND NEW LONDON! I would of course prefer New Dublin, or even New Liverpool, but I still have to say I approve big time. I can't wait to see how Midtown hipsters turn out living in a city with a grandiose name like that. Maybe instead of the Pyramid, a Big Ben replica housed our sporting events and concerts?

I see New London probably being even more musically vital than Memphis is OTL. Am I far off?

Glen

I keep wanting to read this, but every time I look at the number of pages I panic at the sheer volume of material I would have to go through.

Trust me, it's well worth it. Read it in the finished TL's and it's less daunting. That's what I did.

The Finished (or shall we say collected) DSA Timeline is in three parts, and remember there's a lot of pictures, so the actual reading isn't quite as long:

DSA Timeline Part I
DSA Timeline Part II
DSA Timeline Part III